Buccaneers release Simeon Rice

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 28, 2007
NO THERE NOT. AFTER WE SIGN MILLER AND RUSSELL I THINK WELL HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO CAP SPACE. PLUS WHY? WE NEED HELP ON OFFENSE THAT MOVE WOULD MAKE ANY SENSE.

Apr 7, 2007
Norcal916
Noble

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As training camps begin, a surprise name has suddenly been added to the open market.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Thursday released Pro Bowl defensive end Simeon Rice, FOXSports.com has learned. In a meeting between Rice and Tampa management, the team asked the 12th-year player out of Illinois to take a pay cut. When Rice refused, the team released him.
The timing is odd, to say the least, as Rice showed up and checked in to Bucs training camp before being called in to the meeting.

The Bucs left open the option for Rice to return, though that does not seem likely at this point.

Hours before cutting Rice, Tampa inked first-round draft pick Gaines Adams to a six-year, $46 million contract.

Adams became the highest pick in this year's draft to sign a contract. The 6-foot-5, 258-pound defensive end was the fourth selection behind Oakland's JaMarcus Russell, Detroit's Calvin Johnson and Cleveland's Joe Thomas. The Bucs are counting on him to help revitalize their pass rush.

"I wanted to come in on the first day, get acclimated and let them know I'm here with them," Adams said.

General manager Bruce Allen said Rice, who missed much of last season with a shoulder injury, failed a physical when he reported to camp earlier in the day.

"He needs more time to recover" Allen said of Rice, who was scheduled to earn $7.25 million in the final season of a five-year, $41 million contract extension he signed after helping the Bucs win the Super Bowl in 2002.

"We felt now was the time to make the move," said Allen, who insisted it had nothing to do with Rice's salary or the fact that Adams was drafted fourth overall with an eye on eventually replacing the 33-year-old Rice. "You let it drag on for weeks, it might not be fair to him."

advertisement

STORY TOOLS:

print
send
blog
RSS LIKE THIS STORY?

Allen said Rice is confident the injury will heal and he will be able to play for another team this season.

"I don't think there's any doubt he'll get better in time," Allen said. "I don't think the last chapter of Simeon Rice's NFL career has been written."

Rice began his career in Arizona, before moving to Tampa Bay prior to the 2001 season. Rice has recorded double-digit tackles in eight of his 11 pro seasons, including every year from 2001-05. The 32-year-old Rice has also consistently been among the league leaders in forced fumbles.

The No. 3 overall pick in the 1996 draft, Rice was a two-time Pro Bowler for the Bucs, making the team in 2003 and 2004.