Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 24, 2005
Brandon Rios: Nobody Can Beat Mayweather, Too Good

By Chris Robinson
Less than a week removed from his commanding unanimous decision victory over Robert Guerrero, Floyd Mayweather still has the boxing world abuzz over his latest showcase.
Inside of the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Mayweather outclassed Guerrero with a brilliant blend of speed, pinpoint-punching, and agility that beguiled his 36 year of age.
Watching the fight from his bases in Oxnard, California, former lightweight titlist Brandon Rios couldn’t help but to take notice.

“Floyd’s still unbelievable,” said, Rios, who is in the headlines himself because of his recently-announced November 24th duel with Manny Pacquiao.

“He’s untouchable. I don’t think nobody can beat that guy. He’s just too good.”
Asked to elaborate on what makes Mayweather so special, Rios seemed almost at a loss for words.

I don’t know,” Rios said. “Just natural talent. He was born as a fighter. Floyd’s just bad*ss. That’s all I can say.”
Guerrero’s spirits were high heading into the fight but as the contest transpired, he seemed to lack a solid game plan that would allow him to track down the elusive Mayweather.
Rios did expect more fortitude from Guerrero but revealed why he may have fought the way he did.

Honestly, I thought Robert Guerrero was going to come out and be more aggressive,” Rios admitted. “At least he could have said he got knocked out by the best. I thought he was going to be a little more aggressive.
“
But it’s frustration,” Rios continued. “When you get frustrated, your mind doesn’t see the same or concentrate the same. You don’t do the same punches that you planned. When you get frustrated, you’re f*cked, pretty much.”
During the lead up to the event, there was a lot of talk coming from Guerrero’s outspoken father Ruben, who also serves as his trainer. With his emotions running high due to a pre-fight war of words with Mayweather’s father and trainer Floyd Sr., the elder Guerrero left the media with several sound bites over the weeks.
Asked if seeing his son beaten so convincingly would perhaps cause Ruben to settle down, Rios seemed to disagree.

“No, why would he be more humble now?” Rios asked. “Maybe that’s the way his Dad is. You can’t take away who people are. I talk still talk a lot of sh*t, even after my loss. I still talk sh*t and that’s who I am.”

Jul 24, 2005
Floyd Mayweather Jr. can't be considered greatest of all-time due to lack of elite competition

By Kevin Iole, Yahoo

LAS VEGAS – Floyd Mayweather showed yet again why he is, conclusively, the greatest fighter of his generation.

He brilliantly outboxed Robert Guerrero on Saturday at the MGM Grand Garden, cruising to a wide unanimous decision in their WBC welterweight title fight that probably would have been a stoppage had he not injured his right hand in the middle of the fight.

Mayweather is far beyond being judged against his peers, but the lack of depth and quality among them keeps him from seriously being regarded as one of the 10 best fighters ever.

Sugar Ray Robinson is, without question, the greatest fighter who ever lived. He was 128-1-2 before he suffered his second defeat, and he beat enough Hall of Famers to fill a football team. Floyd Mayweather avoids a Robert Guerrero punch on Saturday. (USA Today)

The thing that Robinson, and more recent superstars such as Sugar Ray Leonard, Roberto Duran and Marvelous Marvin Hagler, had over Mayweather was elite opposition.

"Let me tell you this right here about the boxing game," Mayweather's father, Floyd Sr., said. "There were much better fighters when Sugar Ray Robinson was coming along. There were much better fighters when Joe Louis was coming along. But that's not my son's fault. My son beat who's here today, and if they can't protect themselves, oh well."

Mayweather fought most, though not all, of the best of his era. He missed Kostya Tszyu when he was at 140 pounds and to this point, he hasn't fought Manny Pacquiao.

But he's reeled off 44 in a row and, in truth, none of them were close. He routed Guerrero on Saturday, connecting on an incredible 60 percent of his power punches while holding Guerrero to just 19 percent overall.

Guerrero had some success in the first two rounds in trying to pin Mayweather along the ropes, where he could maul him. All three judges gave Guerrero the first round for that. But that was it.

Love him or hate him – there is usually no in-between – Mayweather always figures it out. He's a boxing savant and has been since the first time he pulled on gloves as a child in Grand Rapids, Mich.

Mayweather, who was extraordinarily classy and respectful at the post-fight news conference, took the high road when he was asked where he'd rank himself.

Prior to the fight, he declared himself the best who ever lived. He backed off that on Saturday.

"I take my hat off to Sugar Ray Leonard and all those other fighters who paved the way for me to be where I am at today," Mayweather said. "I'm not here to match myself against them because, like I said before, I'm not in their era. I respect them. I take my hat off to them. But I'm in my era, and I just do what I do."

It's unfortunate that he hasn't had those kinds of rivals. The Pacquiao fight fell through for a myriad of reasons, despite intense interest from the fan base.

But other than Tszyu and Pacquiao, there aren't a lot of elite fighters that he hasn't faced. He's beaten at least four guys who figure to wind up in the International Boxing Hall of Fame – Arturo Gatti, Oscar De La Hoya, Shane Mosley and Miguel Cotto – and may have several more victims who sneak in.

He's planning to fight on Sept. 14, the first time in about a dozen years that he will have fought twice in four months. He brushed aside questions about Canelo Alvarez, who is probably the biggest threat he faces.

Adrien Broner is the only boxer who is in the same realm with Mayweather in terms of physical gifts, and he's just moved to welterweight, Mayweather's division.

Floyd Mayweather and Robert Guerrero trade punches. (USA Today)But when Broner was asked about a potential fight with Mayweather, his good friend, he made an obscene gesture with both hands.

Any other fighters who might face Mayweather, guys like Amir Khan, Danny Garcia, a potential rematch with Victor Ortiz, would be massive underdogs.

He is so astute, he knows when he needs to adjust, and he did that by bringing his father back to train him. His father taught him the game and helped build him into a fighting machine. He also made him one of history's foremost defensive boxers.

After his 2012 win over Cotto, Mayweather knew he had to fix things.

"Miguel Cotto hit me with some shots I shouldn't have been hit with, so I had to bring the defense master back, my father," Mayweather said as his father, seated a few feet away, beamed.

The elder Mayweather was mortified when he first resumed working with his son and saw bigger fighters, who in the past would have never laid a glove on his son, tagging him with clean shots.

He knew they needed to do some work, and to Floyd Jr.'s credit, he was willing to do what he needed to do.

"I got in his ear and started telling him he can't take no more punches like that," Mayweather Sr. said. "In two days, he wasn't taking those punches any more. He started capitalizing and countering. As we went along, he kept making them miss and then capitalizing. He just got better and better."

He's done that throughout his career, and that's why he is unquestionably the best of this time. But his lack of opposition will never allow him to be compared to guys like Robinson, Henry Armstrong, Muhammad Ali and the sport's other super elite.

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
Canelo's Trainer: Mayweather Wants a Lower Weight

Canelo's Trainer: Mayweather Wants a Lower Weight - Boxing News

According to Jose "Chepo" Reynoso, trainer of WBC/WBA 154-pound champion Saul "Canelo" Alvarez (44-0-1, 30KOs), there is a weight issue that has to be worked out in order to fight WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. (44-0, 26KOs) on September 14 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Chepo claims that Mayweather wants the fight to take place at the welterweight limit of 147-pounds. Canelo wants to fight at the junior middleweight limit. Chepo says there is "0" chance of the bout take place at 147. They did propose the idea of having a catch-weight, which Mayweather rejected.

"Floyd wants every advantage on his side. Among one of the things that is often being stressed is that he wants Canelo at a lower weight. Why would I make my boy sacrifice so much? We proposed an intermediate weight for things to be level for both [fighters], but he refused. Yes we want to fight, but that does not mean [Mayweather] will get everything [he wants]," Chepo said to Erika Montoya.

The weight was an obvious concern when this fight was first discussed. Mayweather walks around close to the welterweight limit, while Canelo weighs over 170-pounds on the night of his fights. Mayweather hold the WBA's "super title" at 154, but he defeated Miguel Cotto, a small junior welterweight, to capture that title.

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
Kinda gotta agree with Floyd, Canelo is the one calling out the p4p greatest fighter on the planet, you call out the man you should fight at the man's weight.

The quote that says "Floyd wants every advantage on his side. Among one of the things that is often being stressed is that he wants Canelo at a lower weight. Why would I make my boy sacrifice so much?" makes me lol, Floyd is a 147 fighter plain and simple, Canelo already has a massive size advantage, if Floyd fights Canelo at 154 he's giving 100% every advantage to Canelo.

Canelo is funny with this shit, call out the best so you can get the biggest pay day of your career, but also want to call the shots.

Props: CZAR

CZAR

Sicc OG
Aug 25, 2003
Fully agree Infamous! I knew this shot was gonna happen and I knew this would be the only reason to prevent the fight. Mayweather aint stupid. Tha dude is way bigger than Floyd. Sonce Canelo only wants to fight smaller fighters he needs to come down in weight plain and simple. If not go after Sergio, GGG, Chavez Jr, Ward etc.....Floyd aint falling for that bullshit! Looks like Canelo will be fighting Cotto. Let Cotto fall for that shit and get beat up being heavily out weighed. Got Em!!

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
Right now it looks like Cotto is pricing himself out of the Canelo fight lol Cotto is asking for 10 million guaranteed to fight Canelo on Pay Per View.

Coming off 2 losses and fighting a guy who's never headlined a PPV, Cotto ain't getting that.

CZAR

Sicc OG
Aug 25, 2003
Right now it looks like Cotto is pricing himself out of the Canelo fight lol Cotto is asking for 10 million guaranteed to fight Canelo on Pay Per View.

Coming off 2 losses and fighting a guy who's never headlined a PPV, Cotto ain't getting that.
Yea I saw that. But hey if Im Cotto and Im willing to fight a dude who will probably be 20 pounds bigger than me I would ask for 10 mill also lmao!! Got Em!!

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
Manny Pacquiao Demands PEDs Testing for Rios Bout: Is This Hypocrisy or Common Sense?

Late last week it was revealed that Manny Pacquiao had requested random blood and urine testing for his upcoming bout on November 23 with Brandon Rios in Macau. On Friday, it was confirmed that the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (VADA) would be the organization entrusted with the task of testing both fighters.

To those who have followed Pacquiao's career for the last several years, the decision to actually request PEDs testing has to be more than a bit jarring, especially after his own tumultuous relationship with the concept.

For those who recall, a proposed mega-fight with Floyd Mayweather was all but signed, sealed, and delivered when a dispute over random blood testing forever killed the deal.

At the time, the Filipino icon balked at undergoing any PEDs testing above and beyond the minimum commission requirements, claiming that the drawing of blood would weaken him prior to the fight. The reluctance to budge on random testing eventually took both fighters to arbitration where the bout was officially killed off in January of 2010 when neither side would give in regarding a cut-off date for drawing blood prior to fight night.

Following the well-publicized collapse of this era's biggest money fight, Mayweather was painted as the unreasonable party, insisting on random blood testing for no other reason than the fact that unsubstantiated rumors of PEDs use and overwhelming Pacquiao performances caused him to be suspicious.

Fast forward to 2013 and the script has been flipped completely.

Fighters who demand and undergo random blood testing are not vilified, but given their just due. Members of the media who lambasted Mayweather for his demands just a couple of years ago are now commending other fighters who make similar demands. For those looking to explain the complete 180 on the issue, evolution of thought could be credited for the change. However, for those with a slightly cynical orientation, the word "hypocrisy" could also be applied.

And speaking of evolution of thought vs. hypocrisy; we come back to Pacquiao's recent demand for random PEDs testing.

Back when Juan Manuel Marquez debuted his new, muscular look prior to his fourth clash with Pacquiao, rumor and innuendo began to emerge. Fingers were pointed at Marquez's controversial strength and conditioning coach, Angel "Memo" Heredia, a confessed PEDs distributor who turned state's evidence to avoid prosecution in the infamous BALCO case. And when Marquez knocked Pacquiao unconscious in the sixth round of their bout, those pointed fingers transformed into flat-out accusations of chemical enhancement on the part of the veteran Mexican battler.

Brandon "Bam Bam" Rios, prior to his last fight, also began working with "Memo" Heredia and will presumably be doing so for the Pacquiao bout as well.

So, now, it's Pacquiao's turn to assume the Mayweather role and call for true random testing, based solely on rumor, speculation, and a feeling that one overwhelming performance from Marquez via Heredia's work is worth proper precaution.

And who can blame Manny?

After all, a fighter needs to protect his safety at all times. Entering the ring against someone who he feels may be using an illegal substance is both unwise and illogical. So, kudos to Pacquiao for finally coming around to Mayweather's point of view. It may be three years and one dead mega-fight too late, but a change in the right direction is always a good thing.

Still, random fits of testing here and there do very little for the overall issue of PEDs use in boxing. In an international sport with no centralized authority, the current form of PEDs busting is mere busy work with no real, authoritative bite.

Hopefully, this current case by case posturing can become a catalyst for real and consistent commission testing.

Feb 3, 2006
Late last week it was revealed that Manny Pacquiao had requested random blood and urine testing for his upcoming bout on November 23 with Brandon Rios in Macau. On Friday, it was confirmed that the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (VADA) would be the organization entrusted with the task of testing both fighters.

To those who have followed Pacquiao's career for the last several years, the decision to actually request PEDs testing has to be more than a bit jarring, especially after his own tumultuous relationship with the concept.

For those who recall, a proposed mega-fight with Floyd Mayweather was all but signed, sealed, and delivered when a dispute over random blood testing forever killed the deal.

At the time, the Filipino icon balked at undergoing any PEDs testing above and beyond the minimum commission requirements, claiming that the drawing of blood would weaken him prior to the fight. The reluctance to budge on random testing eventually took both fighters to arbitration where the bout was officially killed off in January of 2010 when neither side would give in regarding a cut-off date for drawing blood prior to fight night.

Following the well-publicized collapse of this era's biggest money fight, Mayweather was painted as the unreasonable party, insisting on random blood testing for no other reason than the fact that unsubstantiated rumors of PEDs use and overwhelming Pacquiao performances caused him to be suspicious.

Fast forward to 2013 and the script has been flipped completely.

Fighters who demand and undergo random blood testing are not vilified, but given their just due. Members of the media who lambasted Mayweather for his demands just a couple of years ago are now commending other fighters who make similar demands. For those looking to explain the complete 180 on the issue, evolution of thought could be credited for the change. However, for those with a slightly cynical orientation, the word "hypocrisy" could also be applied.

And speaking of evolution of thought vs. hypocrisy; we come back to Pacquiao's recent demand for random PEDs testing.

Back when Juan Manuel Marquez debuted his new, muscular look prior to his fourth clash with Pacquiao, rumor and innuendo began to emerge. Fingers were pointed at Marquez's controversial strength and conditioning coach, Angel "Memo" Heredia, a confessed PEDs distributor who turned state's evidence to avoid prosecution in the infamous BALCO case. And when Marquez knocked Pacquiao unconscious in the sixth round of their bout, those pointed fingers transformed into flat-out accusations of chemical enhancement on the part of the veteran Mexican battler.

Brandon "Bam Bam" Rios, prior to his last fight, also began working with "Memo" Heredia and will presumably be doing so for the Pacquiao bout as well.

So, now, it's Pacquiao's turn to assume the Mayweather role and call for true random testing, based solely on rumor, speculation, and a feeling that one overwhelming performance from Marquez via Heredia's work is worth proper precaution.

And who can blame Manny?

After all, a fighter needs to protect his safety at all times. Entering the ring against someone who he feels may be using an illegal substance is both unwise and illogical. So, kudos to Pacquiao for finally coming around to Mayweather's point of view. It may be three years and one dead mega-fight too late, but a change in the right direction is always a good thing.

Still, random fits of testing here and there do very little for the overall issue of PEDs use in boxing. In an international sport with no centralized authority, the current form of PEDs busting is mere busy work with no real, authoritative bite.

Hopefully, this current case by case posturing can become a catalyst for real and consistent commission testing.
The same writers calling Mayweather a coward because he wanted extra testing, are PED experts now acting like they wasn't bashing Floyd telling the truth 3 years ago ago about PED boxing. Lol.. I loving listening to people flip flopping on issues.

Props: Tony and CZAR
Jul 24, 2005
PAULIE MALIGNAGGI ON ADRIEN BRONER CLASH: "I HAVE ALL THE ADVANTAGES EXCEPT AL HAYMON"
By Ben Thompson | May 13, 2013

"I have all the advantages except Al Haymon. We know with Al Haymon, you can rob somebody in their hometown, just like Adrien did when he fought Ponce De Leon in front of 12,000 Mexicans in Anaheim on the Canelo/Matthew Hatton card. He lost that fight. The arena was full of Mexicans and somehow Adrien still got the decision. When I saw that, I was like, 'Man, this guy Al Haymon can manipulate anything.' So me fighting in my hometown is a cool thing and definitely advantageous in a lot of ways, but as far as where the judges are concerned and all that stuff, I'm far from safe and I definitely feel that," stated WBA welterweight champion Paulie Malignaggi, who spoke in depth about his upcoming June 22 showdown with Adrien Broner. You do not want to miss what else he had to say. Check it out!

BT: What's up, Paulie? How's training going?

PM: I've been in the gym since February, but, you know, I raised the level about 2 or 3 weeks ago; started picking up the pace a little bit more. I felt like I was going to fight April 27th at first, so I was already starting to get in shape, but then obviously that didn't come through. When I didn't fight April 27th, I didn't want to just leave the gym completely because I felt like something would come right after that anyway, so I stayed in the gym, but I wasn't training as intense, you know. So I've been in the gym since about February, but I picked up the intensity a few weeks ago.

BT: You recently mentioned that Adrien Broner was the best offer that was presented, but before getting the fight, you were working on something that was supposed to take place in Abu Dhabi. What was up with that?

PM: There was some guys setting up a show in Abu Dhabi and initially they had contacted us because they wanted Ricky Hatton versus me. Then Ricky got back, so they couldn't make it happen and they wanted to try to make something else. It didn't work out, so they tried to come back to me. They were offering some substantial money, you know what I'm saying, they were offering some good money, it seemed pretty good, and they had sent bout agreements; not bout agreements because we didn't have a set opponent yet, but we were working on either Diego Chavez, my mandatory, or Humberto Soto. So we were working on that and then the Adrien Broner situation came up. Golden Boy had given us permission to work on the Abu Dhabi stuff, but once the Adrien Broner situation came up, basically Golden Boy kind of aborted ship with Abu Dhabi because it wasn't 100% sure. You know, it still needed some work to get done while the Adrien Broner situation could get done 100% if they committed to it. So they decided to go with the Adrien Broner situation. I think that had more to do with Al Haymon wanting that more than anything else; they wanted to make Al happy, you know, because honestly, the Abu Dhabi money was the most money I was getting offered. It was substantially more than what I'm making for the Broner fight. But as far as fights in the United States, you know, like the Mosley fight and all that, you know, the Broner fight was the most money I got offered. The Abu Dhabi fight was the most out of everything, you know, but once they didn't want to commit to it, we had to kind of go with what the best offer was in the States and the Broner fight was the top money offer in the States, you know. Like I said, I think it was more to do with Al Haymon; he wanted me to fight Broner and what Al wants, Al gets. That's boxing in 2013.

BT: When they brought the name Adrien Broner to you, were you surprised at all?

PM: Yeah. My manager and my lawyer sent me the email that they got from Golden Boy, they basically copied me on it and forwarded it to me. So I answered them back, "Are you guys serious? Is this a real offer?" It wasn't a money offer yet, but it was just like, "What do you guys think of fight with Adrien Broner?" I didn't think it could be possible, you know. I mean, this guy just went from 130 to 135; there's no way he's going to fight at welterweight, so my first initial response was, "Is this serious?" And they go, "Yeah, it looks like they're serious." I was like, "Alright, well get me an offer and we'll talk." You know, I gotta hear out the offers first, and you know, the offer was a little less than what I'm getting now, but then it went up a little bit and it was more money than the other fights, so I gotta take it.

BT: Because he's making such a big jump in weight, did you ask for drug testing just to make sure everything is on the up and up come fight night?

PM: I did. I actually asked for VADA first and I was turned down. They said they were going to USADA, but I'm still waiting on what's going on with USADA. I still have not been tested. I still have not heard anything. When I saw this whole jump, I was like, "This is crazy. This is just a big jump." One of the first things I asked for was drug testing and I asked for VADA first, but they would not do VADA. They said, "If you want VADA, there's no fight." Do you ask for VADA and lose out on a 7-figure payday or do you just say, "Alright, fuck it, no VADA," and take the payday (laughing)?

BT: So did they say they were definitely going to do USADA testing?

PM: They did. Yeah, they did say they were going to do USADA testing. I thought it would have already begun. It has not begun yet, so I'm still waiting. I thought by this point I would have been tested. I'm not saying anything, but you know, these kind of weight jumps this rapidly and this fast, you never saw in old times. It's just something you don't see.

BT: Talk to me about the press conference. That was probably one of the wildest press conferences I've been to. Were you expecting Adrien to get it started with a show like that?

PM: It was creative, I gotta say, but the thing about Adrien is everything he has is rehearsed, so he kind of has to rehearse everything he's going to do and say before he gets up there, and I recognize it and I see it. So he rehearsed a good show, he did, you know; he got it all set up nice, but because I know he has to rehears everything, once I come back at him with some things, he's gotta think on the fly, and him thinking on the fly is not a good thing. He's not able to think on the fly. The trick to Adrien is you gotta knock down whatever he comes with the rehearsed stuff. Once you shut down whatever he rehearsed, he's gotta come back at you with something that's not rehearsed, you know, he's gotta think on the fly and he's not really that smart to think on the fly.

BT: I gotta admit, that was coldblooded line when you said even his mom thought he was born a bitch. Damn (laughing).

PM: (Laughing) Yeah, it got a little heated, man. You know, sometimes, this competition gets ugly, man, you know? Me and Adrien was cool before this, but when you got two guys that want to win at all costs, hey man, things are said and done that maybe you wouldn't usually do and say, but it's a win at all costs mentality.

BT: Are they going to do an All Access for this?

PM: I don't know. It would be cool. They mic'ed us up at the press conference, you know, the Showtime cameras did, so I'm not sure if it was in preparation for All Access, I don't know if they're thinking about doing it, or I don't know if they just wanted some stuff recorded just in case they do do it. I haven't been told that they are doing it, but I definitely think it would be cool if they did it.

BT: I'm sure you think Adrien is biting off more than he can chew. Considering that he's moving up in weight and is gonna be fighting in your backyard, is it safe to say that you pretty much have all the advantages going into this fight?

PM: I have all the advantages except Al Haymon. We know with Al Haymon, you can rob somebody in their hometown, just like Adrien did when he fought Ponce De Leon in front of 12,000 Mexicans in Anaheim on the Canelo/Matthew Hatton card. He lost that fight. The arena was full of Mexicans and somehow Adrien still got the decision. When I saw that, I was like, "Man, this guy Al Haymon can manipulate anything." So me fighting in my hometown is a cool thing and definitely advantageous in a lot of ways, but as far as where the judges are concerned and all that stuff, I'm far from safe and I definitely feel that.

Jul 24, 2005
PEREZ VS. GAMBOA SET FOR JUNE 8 ON HBO
By Press Release | May 13, 2013

Undefeated lightweight contender Darley Perez (28-0, 19 KOs) has signed on to fight explosive Cuban superstar Yuriorkis Gamboa (22-0, 16 KOs) in the co-feature of an HBO telecast taking place on June 8th, live from the Bell Centre in Montreal, Canada. The main event that evening will be a light heavyweight title tilt between Chad Dawson and Adonis Stevenson. Perez vs. Gamboa is a strong addition to an already stellar night of boxing.

Darley Perez is promoted by Gary Shaw Productions and Thompson Boxing Promotions, while Yuriorkis Gamboa is promoted by 50 Cents' SMS Promotions.

Perez is battletested but Gamboa will be his toughest test to date. A win could put either fighter in line for a major opportunity. Perez knows what is on the line and welcomes the challenge.

For Perez, he feels this step up in competition is coming at the perfect time in his career and he has been ready for this kind of test for quite some time.

"I wouldn't dare take Gamboa lightly, I'll train hard for a tough fight and he'd be well-advised to do the same because I'm a top fighter. I will prove to everyone that I am a world-class fighter and the rest of the world will figure out what I already know after June 8th," said Perez.

Gamboa, with his aggressive style, has emerged as one of the best fighters to defect from Cuba. He'll look to continue his winning ways on fight night.

"I keep looking to prove my worth and will now do so in trying to win a 4th world title in a third weight class, the lightweight division," Gamboa said. "I like challenging myself. June 8th I plan on showing my best yet again."

Gary Shaw, Perez's co-promoter, knows how ready his fighter is for this opportunity and is also aware of the fact that a win for Perez would be considered a significant upset. However, he thinks that if people were educated enough on Perez's ability then they wouldn't see it as that shocking an outcome.

"You have to understand that we've been waiting on an opportunity like this for Perez to make his mark. Some may feel like it is Darley's chance to pull off the shocking upset, but I see it as more of a coming out party. We've had him caged in waiting for the chance to unleash the beast and we could've pulled the trigger a couple fights back and then the world would be aware of his chances in this fight. But because we knew that an opportunity like this was only a matter of time we waited and now he will show he's been a top contender all along," Shaw said.

"The fight on June 8th between Yuriorkis Gamboa and Darley Perez is going to be very exciting." said Curtis Jackson (AKA 50 Cent). "Gamboa has been training really hard and his fighting style is aggressive while Perez showcases a calmer demeanor in the ring which will make for a very competitive showing.

Alex Camponovo, general manager of Thompson Boxing Promotions said, "Darley Perez is not a simple opponent, he has the necessary tools to back up his undefeated record and he will be ready to fight a guy like Gamboa. We are excited to get him this opportunity and we trust in his ability."

Aug 26, 2002
WWW.YABITCHDONEME.COM
PAULIE MALIGNAGGI ON ADRIEN BRONER CLASH: "I HAVE ALL THE ADVANTAGES EXCEPT AL HAYMON"
By Ben Thompson | May 13, 2013

"I have all the advantages except Al Haymon. We know with Al Haymon, you can rob somebody in their hometown, just like Adrien did when he fought Ponce De Leon in front of 12,000 Mexicans in Anaheim on the Canelo/Matthew Hatton card. He lost that fight. The arena was full of Mexicans and somehow Adrien still got the decision. When I saw that, I was like, 'Man, this guy Al Haymon can manipulate anything.' So me fighting in my hometown is a cool thing and definitely advantageous in a lot of ways, but as far as where the judges are concerned and all that stuff, I'm far from safe and I definitely feel that," stated WBA welterweight champion Paulie Malignaggi, who spoke in depth about his upcoming June 22 showdown with Adrien Broner. You do not want to miss what else he had to say. Check it out!

BT: What's up, Paulie? How's training going?

PM: I've been in the gym since February, but, you know, I raised the level about 2 or 3 weeks ago; started picking up the pace a little bit more. I felt like I was going to fight April 27th at first, so I was already starting to get in shape, but then obviously that didn't come through. When I didn't fight April 27th, I didn't want to just leave the gym completely because I felt like something would come right after that anyway, so I stayed in the gym, but I wasn't training as intense, you know. So I've been in the gym since about February, but I picked up the intensity a few weeks ago.

BT: You recently mentioned that Adrien Broner was the best offer that was presented, but before getting the fight, you were working on something that was supposed to take place in Abu Dhabi. What was up with that?

PM: There was some guys setting up a show in Abu Dhabi and initially they had contacted us because they wanted Ricky Hatton versus me. Then Ricky got back, so they couldn't make it happen and they wanted to try to make something else. It didn't work out, so they tried to come back to me. They were offering some substantial money, you know what I'm saying, they were offering some good money, it seemed pretty good, and they had sent bout agreements; not bout agreements because we didn't have a set opponent yet, but we were working on either Diego Chavez, my mandatory, or Humberto Soto. So we were working on that and then the Adrien Broner situation came up. Golden Boy had given us permission to work on the Abu Dhabi stuff, but once the Adrien Broner situation came up, basically Golden Boy kind of aborted ship with Abu Dhabi because it wasn't 100% sure. You know, it still needed some work to get done while the Adrien Broner situation could get done 100% if they committed to it. So they decided to go with the Adrien Broner situation. I think that had more to do with Al Haymon wanting that more than anything else; they wanted to make Al happy, you know, because honestly, the Abu Dhabi money was the most money I was getting offered. It was substantially more than what I'm making for the Broner fight. But as far as fights in the United States, you know, like the Mosley fight and all that, you know, the Broner fight was the most money I got offered. The Abu Dhabi fight was the most out of everything, you know, but once they didn't want to commit to it, we had to kind of go with what the best offer was in the States and the Broner fight was the top money offer in the States, you know. Like I said, I think it was more to do with Al Haymon; he wanted me to fight Broner and what Al wants, Al gets. That's boxing in 2013.

BT: When they brought the name Adrien Broner to you, were you surprised at all?

PM: Yeah. My manager and my lawyer sent me the email that they got from Golden Boy, they basically copied me on it and forwarded it to me. So I answered them back, "Are you guys serious? Is this a real offer?" It wasn't a money offer yet, but it was just like, "What do you guys think of fight with Adrien Broner?" I didn't think it could be possible, you know. I mean, this guy just went from 130 to 135; there's no way he's going to fight at welterweight, so my first initial response was, "Is this serious?" And they go, "Yeah, it looks like they're serious." I was like, "Alright, well get me an offer and we'll talk." You know, I gotta hear out the offers first, and you know, the offer was a little less than what I'm getting now, but then it went up a little bit and it was more money than the other fights, so I gotta take it.

BT: Because he's making such a big jump in weight, did you ask for drug testing just to make sure everything is on the up and up come fight night?

PM: I did. I actually asked for VADA first and I was turned down. They said they were going to USADA, but I'm still waiting on what's going on with USADA. I still have not been tested. I still have not heard anything. When I saw this whole jump, I was like, "This is crazy. This is just a big jump." One of the first things I asked for was drug testing and I asked for VADA first, but they would not do VADA. They said, "If you want VADA, there's no fight." Do you ask for VADA and lose out on a 7-figure payday or do you just say, "Alright, fuck it, no VADA," and take the payday (laughing)?

BT: So did they say they were definitely going to do USADA testing?

PM: They did. Yeah, they did say they were going to do USADA testing. I thought it would have already begun. It has not begun yet, so I'm still waiting. I thought by this point I would have been tested. I'm not saying anything, but you know, these kind of weight jumps this rapidly and this fast, you never saw in old times. It's just something you don't see.

BT: Talk to me about the press conference. That was probably one of the wildest press conferences I've been to. Were you expecting Adrien to get it started with a show like that?

PM: It was creative, I gotta say, but the thing about Adrien is everything he has is rehearsed, so he kind of has to rehearse everything he's going to do and say before he gets up there, and I recognize it and I see it. So he rehearsed a good show, he did, you know; he got it all set up nice, but because I know he has to rehears everything, once I come back at him with some things, he's gotta think on the fly, and him thinking on the fly is not a good thing. He's not able to think on the fly. The trick to Adrien is you gotta knock down whatever he comes with the rehearsed stuff. Once you shut down whatever he rehearsed, he's gotta come back at you with something that's not rehearsed, you know, he's gotta think on the fly and he's not really that smart to think on the fly.

BT: I gotta admit, that was coldblooded line when you said even his mom thought he was born a bitch. Damn (laughing).

PM: (Laughing) Yeah, it got a little heated, man. You know, sometimes, this competition gets ugly, man, you know? Me and Adrien was cool before this, but when you got two guys that want to win at all costs, hey man, things are said and done that maybe you wouldn't usually do and say, but it's a win at all costs mentality.

BT: Are they going to do an All Access for this?

PM: I don't know. It would be cool. They mic'ed us up at the press conference, you know, the Showtime cameras did, so I'm not sure if it was in preparation for All Access, I don't know if they're thinking about doing it, or I don't know if they just wanted some stuff recorded just in case they do do it. I haven't been told that they are doing it, but I definitely think it would be cool if they did it.

BT: I'm sure you think Adrien is biting off more than he can chew. Considering that he's moving up in weight and is gonna be fighting in your backyard, is it safe to say that you pretty much have all the advantages going into this fight?

PM: I have all the advantages except Al Haymon. We know with Al Haymon, you can rob somebody in their hometown, just like Adrien did when he fought Ponce De Leon in front of 12,000 Mexicans in Anaheim on the Canelo/Matthew Hatton card. He lost that fight. The arena was full of Mexicans and somehow Adrien still got the decision. When I saw that, I was like, "Man, this guy Al Haymon can manipulate anything." So me fighting in my hometown is a cool thing and definitely advantageous in a lot of ways, but as far as where the judges are concerned and all that stuff, I'm far from safe and I definitely feel that.
Broner is gonna do work to Malignaggi...........

May 13, 2002
Seattle
www.socialistworld.net
Another Money Team tests dirty. Its good its being ruled a No Contest Rosado should have won anyway.

Jeon Love tests positive for illegal Diueretic after Rosado fight
The Nevada State Athletic Commission has informed BoxingScene.com that J'Leon Love (16-0, 8KOs) tested positive for Hydrochlorothiazide in the aftermath of his ten round split decision win over Gabe Rosado (21-7, 13KOs), which took place on May 4th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. The bout was the opening contest on the Floyd Mayweather-Robert Guerrero Showtime pay-per-view event.

Keith Kizer, Executive Director for the NSAC, says a complaint for disciplinary action will be issued. It is expected that Love will be suspended for several months, fined, and his win over Rosado will become a no-contest.

J'Leon Love Fails Drug Test, Team Rosado Respond - Boxing News

Last edited:
Props: Coach E. No