Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 24, 2005
CARLOS MOLINA: "IF AUSTIN TROUT HAS NO DOUBT HE CAN BEAT ME, THEN STEP UP!"
By Press Release | August 22, 2012

Top contender Carlos Molina is more than happy to answer WBA Super Welterweight Champ Austin Trout's calls for a quality opponent to face.

"He says he only wants to fight the best and then he calls out Erislandy Lara! Everybody knows I beat Erislandy Lara!" says Molina, fresh from his shutout victory over capable veteran Damian Frias last Friday in Miami, Oklahoma.

Molina and Lara fought to a very controversial draw last year.

Molina (20-5-2, 6 KOs) says if Trout claims to be having a hard time finding a fight against a top guy, he must have forgotten someone: "Me. I'll fight him any time. Set it up. I'm always ready, just pick up the phone and say you'll get in the ring and we'll fight."

While he empathizes with Trout's claims of not being able to land an opponent, Molina feels the claim is less than genuine from Trout and any other 154-lb top contender looking for a fight.

"They all know I'll fight them any time. Not just Trout. All the top guys. But they're all scared. They claim they'll fight anybody any time but when I say ok, let's go, suddenly they want more money. Suddenly it's not good for their career. And they're right because I'll beat every last one of them. And if Austin Trout has 'No Doubt' he can beat me, then step up. My phone is fully charged, waiting for a call."

Jul 24, 2005
CARLOS MOLINA: "IF AUSTIN TROUT HAS NO DOUBT HE CAN BEAT ME, THEN STEP UP!"

Top contender Carlos Molina is more than happy to answer WBA Super Welterweight Champ Austin Trout's calls for a quality opponent to face.

"He says he only wants to fight the best and then he calls out Erislandy Lara! Everybody knows I beat Erislandy Lara!" says Molina, fresh from his shutout victory over capable veteran Damian Frias last Friday in Miami, Oklahoma.

Molina and Lara fought to a very controversial draw last year.

Molina (20-5-2, 6 KOs) says if Trout claims to be having a hard time finding a fight against a top guy, he must have forgotten someone: "Me. I'll fight him any time. Set it up. I'm always ready, just pick up the phone and say you'll get in the ring and we'll fight."

While he empathizes with Trout's claims of not being able to land an opponent, Molina feels the claim is less than genuine from Trout and any other 154-lb top contender looking for a fight.

"They all know I'll fight them any time. Not just Trout. All the top guys. But they're all scared. They claim they'll fight anybody any time but when I say ok, let's go, suddenly they want more money. Suddenly it's not good for their career. And they're right because I'll beat every last one of them. And if Austin Trout has 'No Doubt' he can beat me, then step up. My phone is fully charged, waiting for a call."

Jul 24, 2005
Robert Guerrero: I’ll shock the world if I can get Mayweather Jr in the ring
August 22nd, 2012

By Dan Ambrose: WBC welterweight interim champion Robert Guerrero (30-1-1, 18 KO’s) sounds almost desperate when he speaks about his desire to get unbeaten Floyd Mayweather Jr. in the ring so that he can try and prove himself against the 35-year-old mega star. Guerrero feels he’s got what it takes to defeat Mayweather despite Guerrero struggling to beat an arguably lesser fighter in Selcuk Adyin in his last fight last month.

Guerrero said to Bleacherreport.com “If I get the Mayweather fight, I’m going to shock the world and give boxing’s pound for pound king his first loss.”

For the 29-year-old Guerrero to do that he’ll have to try and coax Mayweather into wanting to fight him, because right now he’s not exactly showing much interest in that fight. It doesn’t help Guerrero that he’s not a huge star and not really pay per view material at this point in his career. Guerrero’s problem is that he’s spent too many years fighting at featherweight, super featherweight and lightweight, and there’s just not a ton of interest from the casual boxing fans in fighters at that weight.

There’s some interest, but nearly as much as you see for welterweight and above. Guerrero has done his part in moving up from lightweight to welterweight in his last fight, but it’s going to take some time for him to build up interest in a fight between him and Mayweather. There may not be enough time unfortunately, because Guerrero is going to need at least a couple of years to establish himself as worthy of a fight against Mayweather, and by then Mayweather might out of the sport.

Additionally, Guerrero has to raise his game considerably. He looked very average against Aydin, lacking power and conditioning. The stamina issue can be partially explained away because Guerrero hadn’t fought since April of last year and was moving up two entire divisions. However, the lack of power is worrisome because this problem likely will continue into the future. Without power, Guerrero will be sitting duck against the better fighters at 147 unless he’s matched carefully by Golden Boy.

Jul 24, 2005
Broner’s next fight date moved to November
August 22nd, 2012

By Dan Ambrose: Former WBO super featherweight champion Adrien Broner’s scheduled October 6th fight on HBO has been moved to November sometime due to Broner’s promoters at Golden Boy having problems finding a suitable opponent for the 23-year-old star, according to Dan Rafael.

Golden Boy Promotions are hoping to find a big name to put in with Broner, but with time running out before the October 6th fight date they’re forced to abandon that date in order to continue to look for a suitable opponent.

The problem that Broner and Golden Boy are facing is that Broner has just moved up to the lightweight division where there’s a serious lack of quality names for Broner to fight. If we wants to stay at this weight, Broner is going to have to settle for fighting a lot of guys that casual boxing fans aren’t familiar with and we could see a lot of sick mismatches similar to Broner’s recent one against Vicente Escobedo.

The top lightweights are busy right now and that’s further hurting Broner’s situation. He could always step up in weight and fight WBC interim welterweight champion Robert Guerrero. However, it’s not likely that Golden Boy would approve of that match-up because they’re still hoping that Guerrero might get a fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr. in the near future. Having Broner beat Guerrero before he faces Mayweather would ruin that.

Broner could solve a lot of his problems in finding opponents if he would move up to the light welterweight division instead of lightweight. He already typically weights in the mid-140s when he fights, which would make him perfect for the light welterweight division. At 140, Broner would have zero problems finding opponents, because even if all the top light welterweights were busy, he could always move up to welterweight for occasional fights to pick off some of the well known fighters at that weight.

The undercard fight between Seth Mitchell vs. Johnathan Banks, which was supposed to be part of Broner’s next card on October 6th, will also be moved along with Broner to be packaged together in November some time

Jul 24, 2005
WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING IS BACK IN BROOKLYN AFTER MORE THAN A 50-YEAR HIATUS

Big-time boxing returns to Brooklyn after more than a 50-year hiatus on Saturday, October 20, when Golden Boy Promotions presents the first boxing event at the new Barclays Center. Televised live on SHOWTIME, the night will feature a star-studded boxing card including two world championship fights and a host of New York's top talents.

The main event will feature unbeaten Danny "Swift" Garcia defending his WBA Super, WBC & Ring Magazine Super Lightweight World Championships against the man he defeated to win the WBC belt, legendary Mexican warrior and future Hall of Famer Erik "El Terrible" Morales. In the co-featured bout, Brooklyn's own Paulie "Magic Man" Malignaggi risks his WBA Welterweight World Championship against hard-hitting Pablo Cesar "El Demoledor" Cano.

Jul 24, 2005
Wife of boxer Tapia to discuss details of death

Updated: Wednesday, 22 Aug 2012, 8:57 AM MDT
Published : Wednesday, 22 Aug 2012, 8:57 AM MDT

krqe.com/

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — The wife of the late Johnny Tapia is slated to discuss details surrounding the sudden death of the six-time world boxing champion.

Teresa Tapia is scheduled to speak Wednesday at a press conference in front of the boxer's Team Tapia gym. A statement from the family says a doctor also will answer questions related to Tapia's death in May.

In addition, Tapia is expected to discuss the future of Team Tapia gym.

According to a police report, Tapia suspected her husband had access to illegal drugs days before he died.

Investigators found one Hydrocodone tablet, a painkiller, on the floor beside his body. They said there were no indicators of an overdose or alcohol use, but that he could have developed medical complications from recent drug use.

Jul 24, 2005
WBA’s Idea To Bring In New Scoring System A Good Idea: Proposed Half-Point Scoring Makes Sense
Published August 23, 2012 | By eastside | Leave a comment

By James Slater – Earlier this week, invaluable news outlet Fightnews.com reported on a story that says the WBA will soon bring in a new system of fight-scoring that the organisation hopes will cut short the seemingly growing number of controversially-scored bouts.

The WBA is planning to bring in a system whereby if a round of a fight is close, the winner, instead of receiving a 10-9 tally, will only receive a score of 10-9.5. If, however, fighter A wins the round big (but doesn’t score a knockdown) he will win by the old way of 10-9. Naturally, if either fighter does score a knockdown, he will win the round 10-8.

This idea, in my opinion, makes sense – at least on paper.
The WBA will soon implement the new system in European and NABA and PABA title fights. Presumably, if the system is proven to work, world titles will follow.

Think of all the close, crucial rounds you’ve seen in big fights, where the fighter who won a certain round by a full point barely deserved to. The judges has to obey the rules and either score these rounds even or give it to one of the fighters by a full point – even if the fighter deemed to have scraped the three-minutes landed maybe one more punch or so than the other guy. The new system will make the job of the three judges (by no means an easy job) that much simpler and the end results would only lead to fairer results – that‘s the idea anyway.

Take the recent Manny Pacquiao-Juan Manuel Marquez third fight for example (or, while we’re at it, the even more recent Pacquiao-Tim Bradley controversy). In both of these fights there were nip-and-tuck rounds that were, under the old system, scored to the winner of the session by a full point. Had the many close rounds been scored by only a half a point margin, we might not have had the uproar we had after both 12-round points decision.

The proposed system will not totally eradicate bad, controversial and debatable decisions (What if a judge gives fighter A and fighter B the same amount of half-point round wins? We’d still have a close fight at the end, maybe a draw) but it’s at least worth a go. A fighter knowing he will only win a round by a half point if he’s lazy will surely work that much harder to secure the round by a full point.

This alone would stop fighters from coasting through rounds and this would, hopefully, lead to more action-packed fights with more punches thrown.

Jul 24, 2005
Danny Garcia vs. Erik Morales II: What a waste. In a stacked division the wrong fight is made…again
August 22nd, 2012

By Kevin Vazquez: For most boxers the “0” means a lot, to some there’s nothing else. I would be the first to agree that an undefeated fighter does not always equal the best fighter. The most naturally gifted fighter can also be said to not equal the best fighter, while the rugged and least talented fighter works harder to rise to the top.

Which one of these reminds you of Danny Garcia?

Obviously the descriptions above do not reflect all boxers, but you get my point. Shear passion and hard work seldom trump pure talent in boxing, but these types of fighters have an edge about them that is usually crowd pleasing.

That’s why so far, the career of Garcia is perplexing. Garcia is not the most beautiful fighter by a long shot, but he gets the job done. Consistent and dangerous. With 15 knock outs in 24 fights he may seem as harmless as a poodle, but the record is deceiving.

Garcia is not a ring genius like Mayweather, he’s not a pressure fighter like Cotto, he’s not a ring surgeon like Marquez, and he is devoid of lightning strikes like Pacquiao. Garcia wont counter, he wont defend until his opponent is no longer on the offensive, and he will not grab. Not to say he’s unable to do any of these things – he just wont.

Garcia will do what all the fans should clamor for; he’ll tuck his chin, load up and throw punches as soon as his opponent throws one. He lives in that contact zone, he prefers the trenches, he’s constantly in the “I’ll take some to give some” mode.

And why not? He’s good at it. Were we not impressed with Arturo Gatti (40-9), or do we have to wait for Garcia’s Mickey Ward (38-13) moment before we truly appreciate him? Gatti vs. Ward is a trilogy that will forever remain in bold in the annals of boxing. Comparatively Garcia has already had a career defining moment when he won a fight he was supposed to lose against HBO darling Amir Khan (26-3).

Yet it seems Garcia has fallen to the wayside after his spectacular 4th round stoppage of Khan. Its not like there’s a shortage of opponents. The Jr Welter Weight division is stacked and a Garcia vs. Morales rematch is a waste. As a matter of fact its an insult. Are boxing fans perceived to be so ignorant as to believe Danny Garcia vs. Brandon Rios (30-0) is not a far better fight then Garcia/Morales. For those who site the relationship between Top Rank and Golden Boy Promotions as the reason Garcia/Rios wont happen, here is a couple of solutions. Garcia vs. Marques, Garcia vs. Peterson, Garcia vs. Matthysse, Garcia vs. Maidana.

After Golden Boy Promotions announced the Garcia vs Morales rematch, I was let down. Afterward rumors surface that Garcia may not go forward with the bout, I thought ‘ a ray of hope’. Unfortunately it has recently been confirmed by Golden Boy Promotion’s, Oscar De La Hoya that the fight will go on as scheduled. After hearing this I feel as if I’ve been low balled. What fans will Danny Garcia gain by fighting Morales for a second time. Morales fans have already seen Garcia, and if they’re not on the boat yet then its they’re loss.

Garcia fights in a dangerous style, and if he continues at this pace his career wont be vary long, which makes every wasted fight that much worst.

Danny Garcia deserves a large fan base, and better fights. Garcia’s stock is on the rise, and boxing fans have to watch him fight a rematch against an aging fighter who’s career already ended once.

Thank you Golden Boy Promotions.

Sincerely: Boxing Fans

Jul 24, 2005
Brandon Rios: I want to shut up my critics and prove I’m #1 against Alvarado
August 22nd, 2012

By Dan Ambrose: Former WBA World lightweight champion Brandon Rios (30-0-1, 22 KO’s) will be looking to impress boxing fans and shut up his critics in his next fight against unbeaten light welterweight contender Mike Alvarado (33-0, 23 KO’s) on October 13th at the Home Depot Center, in Carson, California.

Rios said to the Koncrete Jungle “I want to prove to the world I’m #1, and shut up the critics and show what happened in my last fight [against Richard Abril] was a fluke. Like I said, I was trying to make weight.”

It’s interesting that Rios’ promoters at Top Rank aren’t putting him back in with Abril so that Rios could actually show that the poor performance was a fluke. It was beyond a strength thing in that fight. Abril simply had Rios looking utterly confused in there, and it’s strange or maybe not so strange that Rios’ promoters at Top Rank aren’t putting him back in with Abril. You would think that the way for Rios to prove that his questionable win was a fluke thing would be for him fight Abril again, so he could show the world that it was a weight problem. But that’s not going to happen because Rios has moved up in weight.

It’s a good fight for Rios to be taking on Alvarado, but Rios may not get too many other important fights at this weight unfortunately, even if he gets past Alvarado. The Top Rank – Golden Boy rivalry will likely keep Rios from being able to fight Golden Boy fighters like Amir Khan, Danny Garcia, Lucas Matthysse, and Robert Guerrero, to name just a small amount. Rios might find himself fighting a bunch of obscure guys at this weight and failing to win a lot of fans. Of course, that’s if he can get past Alvarado and I’m not so certain he can.

Rios really should get back on the horse and try and actually beat Abril without controversy this time, because Rios’s 12 round split decision win is seen as a loss by a lot of boxing fans. That’s really the fight that Rios needs to take. Unfortunately, he’ll likely never face Abril again and will have to live with his questionable decision over him.

Jul 24, 2005
De La Hoya: $100K going to fighter with best KO on Alvarez-Lopez fight card
August 22nd, 2012

By Eric Thomas: Golden Boy Promotions president Oscar De La Hoya will be giving the fighter with the best knockout on the September 15th “Knockout Kings” fight card a $100,000 bonus. The headline fight is WBC junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez vs. Josesito Lopez.

The undercard fights are as follows:

Jhonny Gonzalez vs. Daniel Ponce De Leon
Leo Santa Cruz vs. Eric Morel
Marcos Rene Maidana vs. Jesus Soto Karass
Sergio Thompson vs. TBA
Salvador Sanchez vs. TBA

One would hope that the $100,000 goes to the fighter that that gets the best knockout against quality opposition. There’s no point in De La Hoya and Golden Boy Promotions giving one of the undercard fighters the $100,000 if the fights are mismatches in the first place. Who knows what opponents Thompson and Sanchez will be fighting, but I’m guessing they could be the soft variety.

De La Hoya said to RingTV “Giving all of the fighters an incentive for the best knockout of the fight, we will include $100,000 to the winner of the best knockout of the night.”

I think De La Hoya should only include that bonus for the top three fights – Alvarez-Lopez, Gonzalez-De Leon and Maidana-Soto Karass. Those are likely going to be the competitive fights on the card. I don’t care for the Morel-Santa Cruz fight because Morel is 36 and coming off a one-sided 12 round unanimous decision loss to Abner Mares last April. Morel will likely lose to Santa Cruz, although I don’t think for a second he’ll lose by a knockout.

Alvarez vs. Lopez will probably end in decision, because Lopez has a good chin and Alvarez doesn’t fight at a fast pace required to score knockouts.

Jul 24, 2005
TOMMY BROOKS: "GUYS DON'T KNOW HOW TO PUT THE WORK IN ANYMORE"
By Percy Crawford | August 23, 2012

"I think for a lot of guys, you can have all of the talent in the world, but if you are not in shape, it don't do you any good….I hate to point the finger at a lot of these guys, but you gotta look at the facts. Our society is at an age where everything is I want it right now. The guys don't know how to put the work in anymore and when they do get it, they run right through it and be right back in the same spot that they were in before," stated world-class trainer Tommy Brooks, who talked about a number of subjects, including Floyd Mayweather, Evander Holyfield, Mike Tyson and much more. Check it out!

PC: It's been a long time, Tommy. How have you been?

TB: I'm holding in there, baby; trying to stay above water like everybody else.

PC: I know you just had a fighter go not too long ago. How did he do?

TB: Patrick Farrell fought Thursday; "Paddy Boy" or the "Fighting Fireman" (laughing). It went well. He won the fight. The kid got disqualified for holding. Unfortunately he didn't stick with what we worked on and he got dropped in the 1st round, but he got up and came through, so…

PC: You have been around this sport for a long time. Is there anybody out there that catches your eye?

TB: There are a lot of good kids out there, but me, personally, I really don't watch fights (laughing). That's kind of hard to understand for a lot of people, me being in the business, but I don't watch fights. But that's just the way I am. It's business to me, you know?

PC: You are not the first person to tell me that. I have had fighters, trainers, and managers tell me that they don't follow the sport either. I guess it's like any other job; when you get home, you don't want to talk about it (laughing).

TB: (Laughing) Exactly.

PC: You trained Mike Tyson when he came out of prison. I know Floyd didn't serve as much time and he is a lot more disciplined than Mike was, but do you think that time away will affect him?

TB: Oh no, he will be fine. Boxing is like second nature to him. He can do that with his eyes closed. He probably can do it in his sleep (laughing). He been doing it for so long, and he's such a fantastic athlete. I think for a lot of guys, you can have all of the talent in the world, but if you are not in shape, it don't do you any good. You can be Ali, George Foreman, or Joe Frazier wrapped into one, if you are not in shape, it don't do you no good. I think Floyd is of the understanding that he realizes 95% of this stuff is being in shape, so by him being in shape and having the talent that he does, I don't see nobody putting a finger on him. They wouldn't be able to hit Floyd with a handful of rice.

PC: Evander Holyfield is going to continue fighting. Is he someone that you stay in touch with?

TB: I haven't spoken to Evander lately, but it's mostly business with Evander. I hear from him for like holidays and stuff like that, you know, but for the most part, it's strictly business. My wife told me she read on the web he's over in Europe somewhere. When he gets something coming, he normally calls.

PC: You just talked about being in shape. I know by no means is he the guy that fought Mike Tyson and Riddick Bowe, but he can still get his body into really good shape.

TB: Oh yeah! He's in better shape than most of these guys fighting in the main events; these young guys half his age.

PC: Do you think these guys today are overpaid, or because it's turned more into a business or what? Why do you think things are different from what we got accustomed to seeing in the sport?

TB: I hate to point the finger at a lot of these guys, but you gotta look at the facts. Our society is at an age where everything is I want it right now. The guys don't know how to put the work in anymore and when they do get it, they run right through it and be right back in the same spot that they were in before. When you talk about guys like the Holyfield's and the Tyson's and stuff, those guys were doing big things and making big dollars, and you can't tell a grown man what to do with his own money and that's the way it goes. When you look at how our Olympic team performed this year, that was (laughing)… we didn't even medal. I think one girl got a Gold and one got a Bronze. It's kind of hard to say. I worked with the kid Dominic Breazeale for a while when I was at All American Heavyweights and I think it was a blessing that he got as far as he got. He didn't have that much experience under his belt. A lot of those guys that was in the Olympics been there 3 or 4 times, or they been in that circle where they fight in those national fights and they know what the rules are and what to expect. This was a brand new thing for Dominic.

PC: Have you ever worked with a guy who you felt never reached their full potential for whatever reason?

TB: Not really. I can't really say that I have because you work with so many people, you know? I'm the kind of guy where if you're not getting with the program, I gotta walk (laughing). I don't stick around, man. Like I tell all my guys, man, if something happens to you, I gotta talk to your mom, your wife, or girlfriend. I'm not going through all of that, you know? So if you don't want to do what we are supposed to do in the gym, find you somebody else, man.

PC: One of my favorite quotes of yours is when they were saying Mike Tyson would call up and say he isn't going to make it to the gym and everyone was panicking and you told them, "We're not the ones getting punched in the face come Saturday night."

TB: (Laughing) Exactly. Look, those guys are running the show because when that bell goes ding, I go down the stairs and they are in there by themselves. If you don't want to put the work in or follow instructions…I think Evander said it best. He said, "Look man, if I don't trust you or believe in what you telling me, what am I paying you my money for? I work hard for my money. I am not just gonna give you my money if I'm not gonna listen to you."

PC: You worked with Pawel Wolak, who has turned to MMA now. Do you still see him, and how do you think he will do in mixed martial arts?

TB: I haven't seen Pawel in a couple of weeks, but last time I spoke to him, he is working a real job and then coming to the gym like he used to, so I haven't seen him in a while. I think he comes in at 3:00, but I'm gone by then though. But great kid and I wish him a lot of success with that, and hopefully he will do well with that too.

PC: Well, if you don't watch boxing, I know you don't watch MMA.

TB: No, I definitely don't.

PC: (Laughing) Tommy, it was great catching up with you. I wish you and your guys the best of luck. Is there anything else you want to say?

TB: No Percy, anytime baby. Thanks

Jul 24, 2005
Edison Miranda says He’ll KO Tony Bellew In 6th-Round, Then Wants To Return To U.K For Froch Or Cleverly
Published August 23, 2012 | By eastside | 11 Comments

By James Slater – I don’t know about you, but I’m excited about the upcoming Tony Bellew-Edison Miranda light-heavyweight showdown set for London on September 8th (just one in a number of hot-looking match-ups set for next month – including amongst others, Dawson-Ward, Burns-Mitchell and Martinez-Chavez Jr.)

So it was with great interest that I read excellent web site BoxRec’s/f Ringnews24.com interview with “Pantera.”

Never afraid of engaging in some trash-talking, nor of facing the very best opposition out there, Miranda, 35-7(30) basically said that while he respects the once-beaten “Bomber,” he is looking forward to coming to the U.K to KO the Liverpudlian (in the 6th-round he says). Miranda also said he is looking forward to giving the fans a good night, and of then getting a fight with either WBO 175-pound champ Nathan Cleverly, or IBF 168-pound ruler Carl Froch.

While I feel Bellew, 17-1(11) will spoil Miranda’s plans by coming through some rough patches to either score a late stoppage of his own or win clearly on points, the idea of a Miranda-Froch fight is quite something. Miranda said he has wanted to fight “The Cobra” for some time and that he and Froch would “put on a night to remember.” With the all-action styles of both men, Miranda is not wrong. Indeed, the mouth-watering notion of Froch-Miranda, in the U.K, almost makes me want to root for the powerful yet defensively leaky Colombian on September 8th. Almost.

Bellew is wicked entertainment himself (at least he can be when on top form) and if he comes through okay next month, the big fights will be out there for him. Bellew has lost a close one to the aforementioned Cleverly, and he wants a shot at revenge. But if Bellew puts on a show and takes Miranda out in thrilling style, maybe even in a FOTY candidate, chances are he will be able to call out most any light-heavyweight out there.

It will definitely be bombs away on September 8th (Miranda only knows one way to fight, even if Bellew can box) and fans of a slugfest should be sent home happy. Miranda, however, will not leave the U.K in a good mood. Or will he? We can never count out a banger of Miranda’s calibre. Not in any fight.

Jul 24, 2005
another cop out from this dude

Manny Pacquiao says Floyd Mayweather fight "Possible" if Retirement doesn't come first!
By Johnny Benz, Doghouse Boxing (Aug 23, 2012) Doghouse Boxing
-
Manny Pacquiao
By Johnny Benz, Doghouse Boxing. - Is it possible that a fight with Manny Pacquiao and Floyd "Money" Mayweather Jr. will ever happen? In a recent interview with Manny Pacquiao, the Filipino Superstar and Boxing Icon told Snow Badua (PTV Sports) that a fight with "Money" Mayweather is "possible" as long as neither one retires first. Yes folks, after all these years of total failure in negotiations, the fight most of of still might want to see is still "possible." Ok, hardly inspiring news... I don't want to hear "possible", I prefer to hear that the fight is going to happen. I've been hearing "possible" for years... but it has turned more into "impossible".

Manny Pacquiao stated to Badua: "It's possible. that fight will happen. Yes, it's possible. It's possible as long as he (Floyd Mayweather) is in boxing, and I am in boxing as well."

That line to me says that maybe a few years from now. Hey, I've long lost hope for this fight happening and my interest will never be as high as it was when talks of this fight surfaced a few years ago. These two fighters are only getting older and closer to retirement... and like Pacquiao basically states.... who knows if either will remain long enough in the sport to face the other.

Jul 24, 2005
$100 Million on the Table yet Floyd Mayweather & Manny Pacquiao can't get their Sh!t Together
-
Emmanuel Steward
By Johnny Benz, Doghouse Boxing. - You know as well as I do that with a reported $100 million on the table, it is beyond outrageous and stupid that Manny Pacquiao and Floyd "Money" Mayweather Jr. have not come to terms on a fight deal. As it stands, it could be more years before these two fighters decide to fill the same dance card.

Blame it on egos, blame it on whatever, but the bottom line is there is no excuse to have dragged things out this long.

Recently speaking on the BBC Radio Live, famed Boxing trainer Emmanuel Steward spoke out on his frustration over "Money" Mayweather vs. Pacquiao not materializing.

"The money is there [for Mayweather-Pacquiao], the two guys would make a minimum of $50m apiece," Steward stated, adding: "and it still can't be made because of egos."

"Times have changed and it really frustrates me because I remember how easy it was for me to make the fight with Ray (Leonard vs. Tommy Hearns.

Jul 24, 2005
Former Olympic gold medal winner ready for Dawson challenge
Updated 1d 14h ago

Comments

Andre Ward, 28, the last American men's boxer to win an Olympic gold medal (2004), is preparing for perhaps the biggest fight of his career, a super middleweight world title bout against light heavyweight champ Chad Dawson in Oakland, Ward's hometown, on Sept. 8 (HBO, 9:45 p.m. ET).

Andre Ward, right, beat Carl Froch by unanimous decision in his last bout Dec. 17 in Atlantic City.

By Ed Mulholland,, US Presswire

Andre Ward, right, beat Carl Froch by unanimous decision in his last bout Dec. 17 in Atlantic City.

Enlarge

By Ed Mulholland,, US Presswire

Sponsored Links

Ward (25-0, 13 KOs) is coming off a unanimous decision against Carl Froch in December, while Dawson (31-1, 17 KOs) defeated Bernard Hopkins by majority decision in April.

Ward, a devout Christian nicknamed "SOG" (Son of God), recently did a wide-ranging interview with USA TODAY Sports' Bob Velin:

Q: In a sport in which cockiness, profanity and trash-talking prevail, how do you survive?

A: I feel like I'm in this sport for a reason. God has given me a gift, a talent, and I just try to stay true to who I am and let the chips fall where they're going to fall. I don't fear any pushback, or people saying they don't like this about me or that about me, whether it pertains to the way I carry myself or my faith.

The bottom line is this: There's life after boxing. I have four young children at home who are going to look back at my career, and I want them to read and watch the things I'm teaching them so they know that's real. I don't want to tell my kid to be respectful and carry himself a certain way, and then he sees a clip of his dad from years ago doing something that doesn't line up to what I'm telling him to do today.

But at this stage of my career, I think people appreciate me for who I am. As a whole, I think people in boxing respect me.

Q: Is religion something you want to pursue after your fighting days end?

A: I would love to. Two passions I have is to be more involved with ministry when my career's over. And also to dive deeper into broadcasting because that's something I have a really strong passion for.

Q: How much longer do you plan to fight?

A: It's hard to say. I definitely don't want to be fighting in my late 30s and 40s. I have a general time frame in mind, and that's to get out not when some young fighter has to prove to me that I don't have it anymore, or my skills are diminished, or I can't get out of the way of punches anymore. It's gonna be at a time when I still have a lot of great fights left in me. The old cliché is you don't want the sport to retire you. You want to retire from the sport.

Q: Would a loss put you on a different level?

A: That's just the reality of the sport. But losing, as you prepare for battle, is not really something you think about. … Everybody's tough, nobody wants to lose, they understand what comes with a loss in this sport, especially on national TV. When you're fighting the best, regardless of style, guys are coming to win. That's the difference.

When you fight a "C" level guy, it's a lot easier to get him out of there and make him submit. But at this level, myself included, guys just refuse to lose.

Q: Is Chad Dawson your biggest challenge so far?

A: It's a different challenge. Every fight with me moving forward is a bigger and bigger challenge because the stakes are higher regardless of who it's against. Chad brings his own set of challenges, and lately a lot of people seem to be focusing on what Chad brings to the table.

But Chad has to also deal with what I bring to the table. He's not fighting a guy in his 40s. I'm 28. I'm a young man. That's something he hasn't had to deal with for a long time. Yes, he has reach and he has height. But that's nothing new to me. I've fought plenty of tough guys who posed different challenges. You've got to find a way to get it done regardless of what's in front of you.

Q: What is your greatest strength as a fighter?

A: One of the things is the way I prepare myself. I don't want to say it's second to none because there are a lot of guys who prepare well, but I really train hard. It's real, and it's to the point where my coaches have to pull me back and tell me, "Man you're not doing nothing today. You need to rest." And I think that, along with everything else, brings victory.

I've never said I was the most skilled or the most talented guy. I just don't want to be outworked, and I think when you have that mentality, just that desire to win, that can overcome a lot in a boxing ring.

Q: How do you feel about the judging controversies boxing has gone through recently?

A: I don't like it one bit. I think if a guy wins a fight, then he should win the fight. That's why we have three judges. Just in case one can be off. It can happen, because there's the human factor involved.

But if two out of three or three out of three get it wrong, it makes you scratch your head.

We should have the best of the best in there to judge this championship fight, and the guy that wins should win. If they don't, it's a disservice to everyone involved, including the fans.

We need to continue to have the best judges out there, regardless of where they're from. And if there happens to be some consistency with a particular judge where they're continuously off, there needs to be some type of reprimand, (or) discipline. Something needs to happen. Because guys' livelihoods literally are at stake. It's not a laughing matter.

Q: If you could do one thing to change boxing, what would it be?

A: One thing I would like to have is a pension for fighters. Whatever those stipulations are to receive that pension, whether you fight six years or seven years, and maybe won a world title, and then you're eligible, that would do a lot for fighters.

Sometimes we as fighters have mismanaged the funds we won, or just fell on hard times. Things happen. But to have something tangible in return for all that they've given to the viewing audience over the years would be unbelievable. It's something I'd like to be involved in and get going.

Feb 3, 2006
another cop out from this dude

Manny Pacquiao says Floyd Mayweather fight "Possible" if Retirement doesn't come first!
-
Manny Pacquiao
By Johnny Benz, Doghouse Boxing. - Is it possible that a fight with Manny Pacquiao and Floyd "Money" Mayweather Jr. will ever happen? In a recent interview with Manny Pacquiao, the Filipino Superstar and Boxing Icon told Snow Badua (PTV Sports) that a fight with "Money" Mayweather is "possible" as long as neither one retires first. Yes folks, after all these years of total failure in negotiations, the fight most of of still might want to see is still "possible." Ok, hardly inspiring news... I don't want to hear "possible", I prefer to hear that the fight is going to happen. I've been hearing "possible" for years... but it has turned more into "impossible".

Manny Pacquiao stated to Badua: "It's possible. that fight will happen. Yes, it's possible. It's possible as long as he (Floyd Mayweather) is in boxing, and I am in boxing as well."

That line to me says that maybe a few years from now. Hey, I've long lost hope for this fight happening and my interest will never be as high as it was when talks of this fight surfaced a few years ago. These two fighters are only getting older and closer to retirement... and like Pacquiao basically states.... who knows if either will remain long enough in the sport to face the other.
But yet people want to say Mayweather ducking dude. I think it's pretty clear now that Manny don't want to fight Mayweather. I mean Manny already turned down the fight two times now. Mayweather still owes you an asswhipping for using his name to promote yourself into superstardom.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
So many people want to see Pacquiao beat Mayweather.

Should've taken the fight back in 2010 instead of fighting Clottey. Pacquiao didn't want to fight Floyd then, now that Floyd is getting older (and easier to hit), Pacquiao wants a piece of the action. Now Floyd knows this and is using it to his advantage that's why he's upping the asking price. He's still going to beat Pacquiao if they ever fight, Floyd ain't scared of that wild swinging lil dude, Floyd just wants a majority of the pie.

Jul 24, 2005
Boxing Promoter Arum on Latest Manny Pacquiao Rumor: “That is bullsh*t”
By Steve Kim, MaxBoxing (Aug 25, 2012) Doghouse Boxing (Photo © German Villasenor)
-
Manny Pacquiao
Still no clue as to who Manny Pacquiao will end up facing but on the rumors that Juan Manuel Marquez had priced himself out of the picture, promoter Bob Arum responded, “That is bullsh*t.”

If it's Pacquiao-Marquez IV, Arum says he would be inclined to stage IBF lightweight titlist Miguel Vazquez versus Mercito Gesta, based on the Filipino-Mexico rivalry angle...

It looks like the fight between WBC 122-pound titlist Abner Mares and Anselmo Moreno will not take place on October 13th as previously reported but moved back some time into November. I'm also hearing it could be staged somewhere in Southern California....

HBO premieres “2 Days” on Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. and “24/7: Road to Ward-Dawson” on Saturday night. Check your local listings...

Can you believe we are less than one week away from the kickoff of college football? It’s the most wonderful time of the year!...

Really enjoying the Pac12 Network; saw the replay of Stanford's huge upset over USC in 2007, which is the Buster Douglas-Mike Tyson of college football...

Jul 24, 2005
Boxing Promoter Arum on Latest Manny Pacquiao Rumor: “That is bullsh*t”
By Steve Kim, MaxBoxing (Aug 25, 2012) Doghouse Boxing (Photo © German Villasenor)
-
Manny Pacquiao
Still no clue as to who Manny Pacquiao will end up facing but on the rumors that Juan Manuel Marquez had priced himself out of the picture, promoter Bob Arum responded, “That is bullsh*t.”

If it's Pacquiao-Marquez IV, Arum says he would be inclined to stage IBF lightweight titlist Miguel Vazquez versus Mercito Gesta, based on the Filipino-Mexico rivalry angle...

It looks like the fight between WBC 122-pound titlist Abner Mares and Anselmo Moreno will not take place on October 13th as previously reported but moved back some time into November. I'm also hearing it could be staged somewhere in Southern California....

HBO premieres “2 Days” on Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. and “24/7: Road to Ward-Dawson” on Saturday night. Check your local listings...

Can you believe we are less than one week away from the kickoff of college football? It’s the most wonderful time of the year!...

Really enjoying the Pac12 Network; saw the replay of Stanford's huge upset over USC in 2007, which is the Buster Douglas-Mike Tyson of college football...

Jul 24, 2005
Don King aims for boxing match in North Korea
By Kim Segal and John Zarrella, CNN
updated 9:27 AM EDT, Sat August 25, 2012
Don King, 81, sits at his desk at his South Florida office, which is more like a museum than an office. Known as a boxing promoter, King says he aspires to use the sport "as a catalyst to bring people together." Don King, 81, sits at his desk at his South Florida office, which is more like a museum than an office. Known as a boxing promoter, King says he aspires to use the sport "as a catalyst to bring people together."
HIDE CAPTION
Don King: Through the years
<

Don King, who turned 81 this week, is still promoting boxing matches
He hopes to sponsor a boxing and music event in North Korea
His office in South Florida is a virtual museum of his legacy
"I'm a guy that uses boxing as a catalyst to bring people together," King told CNN

Hollywood, Florida (CNN) -- He's known for his big hair and his big personality and at 81 years old, legendary boxing promoter Don King is still hard at work trying to turn his big dreams into reality. His latest endeavor: a boxing and music event in North Korea.

"This came about by me thinking about Korea and feeling that Korea, that it should be one Korea," said King. When asked about the odds of this event actually coming together, King says, "It's very difficult to believe, I understand that."

Understanding King may help explain why he believes he can make this event happen.

The hallways of the Don King Productions office in South Florida are lined with photographs of him posing with world leaders, celebrities and athletes. There are old boxing posters and newspaper articles framed and hanging on the walls.

It feels more like a museum than an office building. For decades, King has appeared alongside boxing greats including Muhammad Ali, Mike Tyson and Evander Holyfield -- promoting legendary matchups that have catapulted many boxers into lifelong fame.

Boxing has always been more than a sport to King, who contemplates the photos.

"Gen. David Petraeus, that was my friend," said King, pointing to a photo signed by the former Army commander, now CIA director. "I went to Iraq with him."

On the other side of the room is a picture of King with a young Michael Jackson, who "told me that music is the ribbon that ties humanity together," King recalled. "And I added to that boxing is a catalyst that brings humanity together to be tied."
Don King still hard at work at age 81
Laila Ali 'a chip off the old block'
Female Olympic boxer punches for gold
Boxing legend teaching next generation
Pacquiao promoter 'ashamed' of boxing

A framed letter from former President George W. Bush hangs on the wall, as does his picture with Bush and one with Bill Clinton.

"I am not a Democrat and I am not a Republican," explained King. "I'm a 'Republicrat' and that means that I'm for the American people first and the party second."

He is a fan of President Barack Obama and believes that Bush paved the way for an Obama presidency: "George Walker Bush had the most diversified Cabinet in the history of the nation."

Another photo shows King with former Ohio Gov. James Rhodes, who gained fame after sending National Guard troops to Kent State in 1970. Rhodes pardoned King in 1983 for a prior manslaughter conviction. The boxing promoter spent four years in prison for the fatal beating of a man who King says owed him money.

King admits this wasn't the only man he killed during his early years, when he was running an illegal gambling operation on the streets of Cleveland. He had no problem describing what happened when an intruder entered his home in 1954:

"I was shooting him and he's shooting at me," recalled King, "he goes downstairs and into the alley somewhere and falls dead in the alley." King claimed he fired in self-defense and the case was ruled a justifiable homicide.

For both of them, I suffered deep contrition," said King, adding, "How do you expiate for that? You expiate for that by helping others and that's what my life is dedicated to."

That life is reflected in his hallway of photographs chronicling nearly every moment of King's rise to fame.

Another photo shows King wearing a prison number, not his, but 46664 -- the prison number of former South African President Nelson Mandela. King said Mandela asked him to wear the black T-shirt with the number printed across the front.

"What I take from him, he says you can do more for world peace," King said, recalling the day they met. Mandela spoke to King about bringing people together through sports.

That concept of sports diplomacy is what King hopes to achieve on the Korean peninsula. A phone call from South Korea's ambassador to the United States interrupts our guided tour of King's hallway of photos.

King heads back into his office, asking the ambassador the progress of the North Korea project.

"You took the statement both to North and South ambassadors?" King asks on speakerphone. "I wrote a letter to Kim Jung Un and have we heard anything back from the supreme leader?"

King explains he met with the ambassador and a North Korean representative during a trip to New York and he recently sent his proposal to Kim. He has not heard back from officials in North Korea.

Cult of personality surrounds new North Korean leader

Before hanging up the phone, King thanks the ambassador and says, "I will call you back because I have to move on to the rest of the world, God bless you and God bless Korea."

Not one to sit around and wait for things to happen, after talking to the ambassador, King leaves his office for the Hard Rock Casino in Hollywood, Florida, where he was promoting a fight.
Manny Pacquiao on boxing and politics
Mike Tyson: High on 'Hangover' set
Women's boxing in Afghanistan
From homeless to World Champion

As King strolls through the casino on a Monday afternoon, guests instantly recognize the figure with the wild hair and American flag tie, jacket, scarf and necklace charm. In case the red, white and blue apparel was not enough to show his patriotism, King carries two American flags, one for each hand.

King likes his props, especially the flags. For this outing he made sure he also had the Seminole Tribe of Florida flag to carry with him. He also likes the attention he gets from the public, gladly stopping every few feet to pose for pictures, as he makes his way to the event hall, where his boxers are getting ready for a fight.

"Our customers, our guests, they're as interested in being exposed to Don as they are the fight card itself," explained Jim Allen, chief executive officer of Hard Rock International's casinos and restaurants.

King publicly embraces the caricature of himself that he has spent decades cultivating. He is a public figure whose name alone can evoke adoration or abhorrence.

When he's out of the limelight, King is a family man often quiet and deep in his thoughts, according to his son, Karl King.

Karl, 55, is one of three children King had with his wife of over 50 years, Henrietta. She passed away in 2010 at age 87. During King's time in prison, it was Henrietta who protected the children and kept the family together.

"We moved out of the city where he was so well known ... to a rural part of Ohio," recalled Karl.

After his father's prison stint, Karl King said his mother continued to hold the family together while his "workaholic" father financially provided for the family during his rise to fame as Don King the promoter.

"I think it's what gives him life," explained the younger King. "The art of closing a deal, the art of waving the flags and being something more than just a boxing promoter who puts on boxing shows."

King's life at 81 seems to continue as it has for decades, with him being at the center of the ring, taking on projects that may seem impossible to others. King knows the odds of the North Korea endeavor are not in his favor.

But he says it's not about the fight.

"I'm not a boxing guy," King explained. "I'm a guy that uses boxing as a catalyst to bring people together."