Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 24, 2005
"2 Days: Nonito Donaire" Premieres Saturday, June 16 on HBO

June 12, 2012 – HBO Sports returns with an all-new installment of “2 Days” when the feature segment returns Saturday, June 16 (12:30 a.m. ET/PT) with a behind-the-scenes look at Filipino star Nonito Donaire. “2 Days” is a revealing and intimate look at a 48-hour span in the life of a boxer in the lead-up to one of his fights and the next edition will focus on rising junior featherweight star Nonito Donaire. The feature is approximately 15 minutes. Donaire is set to return to the ring on Saturday, July 7 when he headlines an HBO Boxing After Dark card versus Jeffery Mathebula of South Africa from the Home Depot Center in Carson, CA (10:00 p.m. ET/PT)..

“2 Days: Nonito Donaire” will cap off a full night of boxing programming on the network. To begin the evening, HBO will replay the Manny Pacquiao-Timothy Bradley Jr. welterweight title fight at 10:00 p.m. ET/PT followed immediately by the live Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.-Andy Lee middleweight title battle from El Paso, TX. Then it’s the debut of an all new presentation of “The Fight Game with Jim Lampley

Jul 24, 2005
Haye: Chisora will find out why my KO percentage is so high
June 12th, 2012

By Sean McDaniel: Former British heavyweight champion Dereck Chisora has his doubts about whether David Haye will come to fight next month in their July 14th clash. Chisora has a feeling that Haye might choose to run around the ring in wide circles similar to what he did against giant heavyweight champions Nikolay Valuev and Wladimir Klitschko in the past.

Haye says that’s not going to happen. He intends on slugging with Chisora and getting him out of there as fast as possible so that he can try and get a big money fight against WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko.

Haye said to thesun.co.uk “Chisora will find out there’s a reason why I’ve got a 90 per cent knockout ratio, and it doesn’t come from running around the ring. Everyone I have sparred with or fought has asked me ‘How do you get so much?’ He [Chisora] will realize that when he’s on his back and the ref if counting to 10.”

Haye already got the better of Haye in their post-fight press conference after Haye’s loss to Vitali last February in Munich, Germany. Haye laid Chisora out with a right hand to the chin. You could see right then that Haye had too much speed for the slower Chisora, and I expect this to be the same in the ring next month. Haye is simply the much faster fighter with bigger power and better punching form.

Haye can throw with huge power whether in close or at a distance. He’s dangerous at any distance, and if Haye opens up with one of his flurries, Chisora could be out of there in or two rounds. Haye only needs to open up with one flurry and he’ll likely halt Chisora.

Haye really wants a fight against Vitali Klitschko, but that bout is unlikely at this time because Vitali is talking about fighting one more time against WBC contender Manuel Charr in September and then retiring.

Jul 24, 2005
Mayweather in the driver’s seat with Pacquiao fight
June 12th, 2012

By Chris Williams: Former WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao is in a position to negotiate a fight with Floyd Mayweather Jr. now that Pacquiao has been beaten by Timothy Bradley and no longer has a title in his possession. The loss for Pacquiao takes away any chance the Filipino had to ask for a 50-50 deal with Mayweather.

If Pacquiao asks Mayweather now for a 50-50 deal, it may sound more like begging than any kind of legitimate request coming from a position of strength. Getting beaten by Bradley takes away any negotiating muscle that Pacquiao had with Mayweather. Sure, Pacquiao can say that a lot of people think he won the fight, but Mayweather isn’t going to buy that excuse. He’s going to point to Pacquiao’s record and tell him a loss is a loss.

Pacquiao can hurt himself even more in a rematch with Bradley if he decides to fight him in November. Bradley knows how to beat Pacquiao now, and another win by Bradley will take Pacquiao completely off Mayweather’s list of future opponents perhaps forever. But even if Pacquiao beats Bradley in the rematch, the chances are high that it won’t be an impressive performance. It’ll be another fight where Pacquiao looks horrible and old, troubled by Bradley’s movement.

In that case, a win for Pacquiao would be almost like a loss, because it won’t help him show that he’s much better than Bradley, and that in turn will make it all but impossible for Pacquiao to say to Mayweather that he deserves a 50-50 split of the purse.

Jul 24, 2005
Ward says he’d whip Froch again if he dares to take him on once more
June 12th, 2012

By Scott Gilfoid: WBA/WBC super middleweight champion Andre Ward (25-0, 13 KO’s) has no problem with the idea of facing IBF super middleweight champion Carl Froch (29-1, 21 KO’s) again if he wants to step up and take another whipping from him. However, Ward doesn’t think Froch wants any part of facing him again after getting spanked last December in the Super Six tournament finals.

Ward said to the Daily Mail “That performance [against Lucian Bute] would not change anything if we fight again. When I beat him, Carl conceded that he lost to the better man. But cine then he has been excusing the defeat by saying he was much more fully focused and on his game against Bute. I don’t buy into that…He was in the best shape of his life [for me].”

I agree with Ward. Froch has been making a heck of a lot of excuses about not being at the top of his game for the Ward fight. If Froch wasn’t at the top of his game, then why wasn’t he? I don’t believe for a second that Froch wasn’t in the best possible condition. I think what happened was that Froch had no idea how to fight on the inside, and once Ward took the fight in close, Froch was basically a bigger version of Amir Khan, totally in the dark with what to do.

In a rematch it would be the same. Ward would duck under Froch’s slow shots, get in close, and pound him for prolonged periods of time. Froch would probably look at the referee for help, as if inside fighting isn’t a legal way of fighting.I couldn’t believe Froch was looking at the referee when Ward was pounding him on the inside last December. What did Froch expect the referee to do? Did he think the referee would come over to Ward and tell him that it’s not legal for him to work on the inside? That’s the thing. Froch can be in the best shape of his life in a rematch against Ward, but he’ll still lose because he’s too slow, too inept on the inside and too wide open defensively.

Ward feels that neither Froch nor Mikkel Kessler want to face him again and risk getting spanked once more. I kind of have to agree with Mr. Ward. If Froch and Kessler wanted to avenge their losses, the fight would have been made. Their better off avoiding Ward, because he would only batter both fighters again, even in front of their own home crowds.

Jul 24, 2005
In lieu of Pacquiao - Bradley: Open Letter to Senator McCain
By Garth Weaver, Doghous

Many other people who watch the sport of Boxing on any level believe that the sport is corrupt and there are even prominent personalities on television who will all but say that Boxing is corrupt.

With all of that said, I beg of you to put some more resources into Boxing and cleaning up the sport of Boxing so that it may once again be a prominent and gentlemanly sport that is not associated with convolution. Thank you for your active and continued service to the United States of America, and I hope that you have a nice day, Sir.

Respectfully,

-Garth Weaver

Jul 24, 2005
In Praise Of "Irish" Micky Ward - A True Warrior!

by James Slater - Yesterday, ESPN Classic ran the first, most amazing, fight between the late Arturo Gatti and Micky Ward. Not having seen this absolute, well, classic, in quite some time, I was reminded of the toughness, the greatness and the sheer bravery of both gladiators. Much has been written about Gatti, and deservedly so - but Ward is also a fighter on whom not enough can be written in tribute (roll on “The Fighter II,” I say).

How special was Ward?

"Irish" Micky ward is nothing short of a legend among fight fans. Known primarily for the three unforgettable wars Gatti, Ward engaged in a good number of other, almost equally brutal encounters.

Turning pro after having won three New England Golden Gloves titles, Ward, who was born in Lowell Massachusetts on October 4th 1965, streaked to 14-0(10) as a light-welterweight - 140 pounds being a weight Mickey would scarcely fight above throughout his entire eighteen year career. But then, in September of 1987, Ward would lose for the first of 13 occasions. Despite the number of defeats he would eventfully suffer, however, Ward became one of the most respected fighting men in modern day boxing history. In not one of these losses was Ward knocked out.

Moving on from his split decision loss to Edwin Curet, Ward would win some and lose others. A number of these setbacks came via unpopular and debatable decision, yet Ward never complained - he only fought again as soon as he could. Until 1991, that is. By 1991 Ward had lost seven fights - and following his seventh, being somewhat demoralised, Micky took three years out. Only to come back and give us the fights he is best known for today.

Nine wins followed, from June of 1994 to April of 1997 - all but two of them by KO. before Ward received his one and only world title fight. Losing to Vince Phillips in an IBF light-welterweight title shot in August of 1997, Ward saw his chance pass due to a badly cut eye. He was TKO'd in round number three. This was the one and only time Mickey was ever stopped in his entire boxing life. From then on in, Ward, a wicked body puncher who had already established himself as one of the toughest fighters of his day, would thrill us constantly and on most occasions against top names from the sport.

Shortly after dropping a wide decision to the emerging Zab Judah in June of 1998, Ward travelled to London, England (his one and only fight outside of America) and scored a very good win. Unbeaten Liverpool fighter Shea Neary, a guy considered a tough and hard man indeed, was expected to go places; perhaps into a fight with Gatti. Instead, he met a man even tougher than himself and, before a partisan crowd that may not have quite known who or what Micky Ward was, Neary was crushed after eight all-action rounds. For the first time, British fight fans knew all about "Irish" Micky Ward. The once highly touted Neary only fought two more times before quitting; leaving it to his conqueror to rumble so fiercely with Gatti. With his fine win Ward picked up the lightly regarded WBU title. There was nothing lightly regarded about Ward's toughness and fighting ability.

After a further two fights, one a loss, the other a win, Ward had the first of his truly celebrated fights. Micky met the also teak-tough Emanuel Augustus in July of 2001. A ten round give-and-take war followed - one that so excited the experienced Teddy Atlas, who was commentating on the fight on ESPN, he was moved to implore viewers to call their friends and tell them to tune in also! The great fight, won by Ward by UD, was awarded Ring magazine's "Fight of the Year" accolade for 1991. However, it was soon followed by another, even greater fight.

As hard as it may have been to believe for those who had seen Ward-Augustus, Micky's most brutally entertaining fights still awaited him. After losing to Jesse James Leija by technical decision in January of 2002, Ward fought the first of three incredible fights with Arturo Gatti. Fight fans the world over were treated to bouts as good as those from the golden era of the 1950s as a result.

What can be written about the Gatti-Ward trilogy that hasn't been already? No-one who saw the three ten round non-title fights will ever forget them. The first fight, called by some experts as "The Fight of The Century," was the best of the lot. Somehow, the two gutsy warriors managed to survive each other's most fearsome assaults for a combined thirty rounds. Fight two may have been less violent than the initial bout, but fight three made up for it.

During the most intense thirty rounds of boxing action seen in the 1990s, there were broken bones, swollen eyes and mouths, bruised ribs, a busted eardrum, knockdowns, almost impossible comebacks, constantly switching momentums, lots of screaming - from both the fans AND the commentators and value for money like you've never seen! Without a doubt, these three light-welterweight fights were battles for the ages. Indeed, Ring magazine again rewarded two of Ward's fights with their "Fight of the Year" honour - fights one and three Vs. Gatti receiving the tribute.

For the record, as if there are any fans that don't know, Ward won fight one, Gatti fights two and three. But while Gatti carried on for a further four years after the trilogy was done, Ward called it quits on a brutally honest career as soon as fight three was over. Wisely knowing he had nothing left to give (or to prove) Micky retired at the age of 38.

Today, Ward is celebrated, he is enjoying life and his influence is felt far and wide across the sport. It’s truly a sad thing that Gatti, his friend and former rival, is not here with him. Both men have a unique place in boxing history.

Jul 24, 2005
Pacquiao vs Bradley: Brian Kenny Discusses Fight, Says Controversy Is Overblown

Brian Kenny, a respected boxing broadcaster who called Pacquiao vs Bradley ringside for Top Rank's international feed, is one of the few media members who scored Saturday's main event for Timothy Bradley. He was on 670 The Score in Chicago this morning to discuss the fight, and said he can't believe the level of outrage the fight has garnered.

Kenny noted that many of the rounds were close -- swing rounds that could have gone either way.

"A lot of times in these rounds, nobody wins," he said. "This is not like a 100-meter race where someone hits the tape first. It doesn't work that way. It's very subjective. I'm just surprised at the level of outrage. I just don't see it, and I was several inches away from it as it happened."

He also feels that Bradley's body work may have been underappreciated, especially on TV.

"I don't see how you could see that fight as a blowout. Bradley was landing a lot of body shots," he said. "Maybe from my angle, and the judges' angle, you don't see the head shots that are being blocked as clearly, maybe you see the body shots much more clearly. Anybody that tells me Bradley wasn't hitting anything, I just tell them, you're flat-out wrong."

Star-divide

Many have noted -- even those who scored the bout widely for Pacquiao -- that Manny had a habit of not working for three full minutes of every round, instead coming on strong in the final minute or so. Kenny wonders if that often wasn't enough to take the rounds, after Bradley had put scoring points in the bank earlier in the round.

"I think it's a legitimate question. Pacquiao has more power, he has more explosiveness," he said. "I'm not saying he was stealing rounds, but is that final minute or 30 seconds of work enough to overwhelm the opening two to two and a half minutes?"

Kenny, above all, seems to feel that the fight was competitive, and that those scoring it in true blowout fashion for Pacquiao either had the blinders on, or just missed the fight in front of them.

"I'll sit down with anybody and score it round-by-round, and I'll be stunned to see 11-to-1, or 10-to-2. I'd be stunned to see, 'Oh, wow, Pacquiao really blew him out.' Because that's not what I saw."

"It's utterly ridiculous," he said of some of the cries of robbery. "It was a competitive fight."

When asked about Bob Arum's reaction, and whether or not it was genuine, Kenny said, "I know after the fight, I saw Bob Arum, and he said, 'This is terrible.' He said, 'What do you think?' And I said, I had it closer than most, I had it 7-5 Bradley. And he walked away from me."

Kenny added that other Top Rank employees were greatly upset by the decision. But he feels that a rematch, despite Arum's semi-objections at the moment, will happen.

"I think it does happen," he said. "I think it's a saleable fight. It'll be talked about like, should this fight even happening? I think there should be a rematch. Bradley's feet have to heal. If they do it again, Pacquiao is probably still favored."

He also said that while Manny was watching the Heat vs Celtics game backstage, Bradley was 100% focused on the fight, and that in a rematch, he would expect a different Manny Pacquiao.

"I think Pacquiao can up the level of his game. One guy was taking the fight like it was the fight of his life, and for the other guy, it was just a night out for him."

The subject of a potential investigation, or review of the fight with the judges, came up, and Kenny was all for it, saying that in Major League Baseball, close calls are reviewed after the game with the umpires, and that a similar stance would be good for boxing.

"I think every judge who judges a major championship fight, or any professional fight, afterwards should sit down with members of the commission and review their work, to see how good their work is," he said.

Last night on The Boxing Lab radio show, Bradley disputed Arum's claim that he told the promoter after the bout he knew he didn't win, before the scores were read. Kenny, who as best I can tell has not heard that bit of information, also noted that he didn't believe that to be the case.

"I know that's the popular story going around, that Bradley didn't think he won, and that he said this. It's not true. I saw Bradley, the way he reacted after the fight. After the fight ended, he jumped right up on the ropes and threw his fist in the air," he said.

"I thought, in my mind, he looked like a guy who thought he'd won the fight."

When asked about a potential Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao, Kenny did people who pay close attention to boxing proud by basically dismissing the notion that this had any impact on the fantasy fight.

"Everybody thinking this ruins Mayweather-Pacquiao, that wasn't happening anyway," he said. "Maybe it happens now. Maybe Mayweather was waiting to see an erosion of skills, [for Pacquiao to] flame out a little bit, and then he'd fight him. This didn't ruin it. There was plenty of opportunity for this fight to happen, and Mayweather didn't want it."

Jul 24, 2005
Joseph Agbeko Sues Don King, Alleges Short Payment on Seven Fights

Two-time former bantamweight titlist Joseph Agbeko has filed a lawsuit in New Jersey against promoter Don King, alleging that he was shortchanged on payments in seven fights.

The suit also says King and his company, Don King Productions, violated the federal Muhammad Ali Boxing Reform Act, which was enacted in 2000 partially to protect boxers from exploitation. ... In one fight in Newark’s Prudential Center on Dec. 11, 2008, Agbeko successfully defended his championship title, was paid $4,000 and had $21,000 taken from him in the form of deductions, the suit alleges. ... According to the suit, King and his company failed to prove the deductions were legitimate or document their compensation following that fight. The court papers also allege King and his company failed to pay the Internal Revenue Service all the taxes owed on what they took from Agbeko’s winnings.

This move is, one presumes, something Agbeko absolutely had to do at this point, because this could play out for long enough that what's left of Agbeko's prime could go by the wayside.

Star-divide

On the boxing side of things, since I don't feel qualified to discuss the lawsuit really, Agbeko (28-4, 22 KO) had one of those dates in May, scheduled to be against Michael Domingo, that no one really thought was going to happen, and then didn't. He hasn't fought since December, when he lost in a competitive rematch with Abner Mares in California.

Right now, he's still one of the premier bantamweights in the sport -- I've got him ranked No. 2, behind only Anselmo Moreno -- but if he loses a year or so, who knows? He's lost three of four, but his last four fights have only been with Mares and Yonnhy Perez, too, and before that, it was Vic Darchinyan. He's kept a tough schedule to say the least.

Hopefully this will get cleared up sooner than later, but I wouldn't count on that.

Jul 24, 2005
Kessler Fight Can be Made According to Carl Froch

After his resounding win over Lucien Bute Carl Froch has once again stated that he believes it is possible to tempt Mikkel Kessler to come over to England for a good old tear-up.

At the end of May Froch admitted he wanted to avenge his defeat to Kessler in a rematch, as well as a rematch with Bute. Yesterday was no different as Froch once again outlined his plans for the future.

Star-divide

It's no secret that Froch is desperate to get Kessler to come to Nottingham. Kessler is also coming off a win after knocking out Allan Green in May.

Speaking to Skysports, Froch said:

"I speak to Mikkel Kessler myself every now and then, he was at my last fight supporting me. I spoke to him after about coming to Nottingham, and I told him 'you owe it to me.' I came to your home and fought you, you've got to come to my home town.

He said if the fight happens, it will be in Nottingham. They've been on the phone to my promoter Eddie Hearn, so they've been trying to sort things out and there's no reason on paper why mid-October this fight can't happen in Nottingham. It can be done.

It gives me the chance to set the record straight. Kessler comes to fight, if anyone saw the first one it was a great fight, very close and he got a hometown decision. If it was in Nottingham I would have got the decision, this is why the rematch is so interesting and why everyone wants to see it again."

As Froch said, there shouldn't really be a problem with making this fight, not in my opinion anyway. It's a very good fight potentially with two great fighters on their day. Bute for me should have a warm-up fight, maybe two before returning but I do see him getting his rematch eventually.

Froch wants it, according to Froch Kessler wants it, so lets see it! Personally I don't think Froch is an automatic favourite, his career best performance last time was exceptional but Kessler will want to shock the world and can do so.

The fight hasn't been made but lets say they have a rematch in Nottingham. Who wins?

Jul 24, 2005
Mayweather, Cotto Drug Testing Results Released

SADA posts test statistics on a quarterly basis, by sport and by athlete, as soon as possible following the completion of each calendar quarter.

In response to a high volume of interest in the testing statistics for the professional boxing event held on May 5, 2012 between Floyd Mayweather, Jr. and Miguel Cotto, the following is a summary of program information:

Both Mayweather and Cotto were tested a total of thirteen times each by USADA between March 7, 2012 and May 5, 2012, with eleven of the sample collections occurring with no advance notice leading up to the fight, and the final two sample collections occurring after the fight. For each athlete, USADA collected nine urine samples, and four blood samples. All samples collected by USADA were tested by a WADA-accredited lab in accordance with the WADA List of Prohibited Classes of Substances and Methods. All athletes tested by USADA are held to the standard of strict liability and are responsible for any prohibited substances that could be found in their body.

All urine samples were analyzed for EPO and by CIR, and all blood samples were tested for the presence of HGH. Collections were conducted using a balanced test distribution schedule, and with no allowances for black-out or cut-off dates.

Jul 24, 2005
TMZ: Judge to Floyd Mayweather -- If You're Shriveling Up, It's Your Fault

by TMZ Staff: Floyd Mayweather just got knocked out by a Nevada judge ... who scoffed at the boxer's claim he is withering away in jail ... essentially ruling Mayweather is acting like a baby.

Floyd had begged the court to let him finish out his sentence for domestic violence on house arrest ... because he's dehydrated and malnourished and it's taking a toll on his body and putting his boxing career in jeopardy.

But moments ago, a judge DENIED Mayweather's request -- ordering him to serve out the remainder of his 3-month sentence behind bars.

According to court docs obtained by TMZ, the judge called B.S. on Mayweather's claim that he's dehydrated behind bars -- saying the boxer's condition is "self-induced as water is made available to [Floyd] twenty-four hours a day."

As for Floyd's gripe that he's only consuming a fraction of the calories he needs -- the judge says it's because "[Floyd] chooses not to eat the food provided."

The judge also balked at Floyd's complaint that he can't train at a world class level while serving his time -- saying, "While the training areas and times provided to Floyd may not be consistent with his prior regimen, he is indeed provided sufficient space and time for physical activity if he so chooses."

T.K.O.

Jul 24, 2005
Froch: Kessler owes me a fight in Nottingham
June 13th, 2012

By Scott Gilfoid: IBF super middleweight champion Carl Froch is eager to get former two time super middleweight champion Mikkel Kessler back to his own home arena in Nottingham, UK, so that Froch can try and avenge an earlier loss to Kessler from two years ago in the Super Six tournament.

Froch wants to slip a fight in between a rematch with former IBF champ Lucian Bute, and Kessler is the guy that Froch wants rather than the guy that beat him badly recently WBA/WBC super middleweight champion Andre Ward.

Froch told Sky Sports News “I spoke to him [Kessler] about coming to Nottingham, and I told him ‘you owe it to me. I came to your home town and fought you, you’ve got to come to my home town.’”

Kessler reportedly wants Froch to come to Denmark rather than giving Froch what he’s asking for. Kessler’s a big draw in Denmark, and he can probably bring in bigger numbers than the limited 9000 seat Nottingham Arena where Froch will likely try and stick the fight. I don’t blame Kessler for saying no to that idea. The idea here is the bring as much of that green stuff as possible, and Froch’s teeny 9000 seat Nottingham arena just won’t get the job done.

Since Kessler already beat Froch two years ago, I think that gives him the power to pick where the fight will take place. Froch’s International Boxing Federation strap doesn’t mean anything. The venue for the fight should rightfully be determined about who is the biggest draw and who can put backsides in the seats.

I hate to say it but Kessler is the man to do that, not Froch. So, Kessler needs to tell Froch that it’s Denmark or nothing. He’s got to lay down the law and if Froch doesn’t like it, he can always turn around and fight Andre Dirrell or his talented brother Anthony Dirrell. I’m sure that with those dangerous choices, Froch will be sure to given in to Kessler’s requests to have the fight take place in Denmark.

Jul 24, 2005
Pacquiao to Ariza: We need to work on my power and strength again
June 13th, 2012

By Chris Williams: Well, it looks like even Manny Pacquiao realizes that his old strength has abandoned him suddenly now that he’s gone three entire years without one knockout win. His latest performance, a loss to Tim Bradley, showed clearly that Pacquiao’s strength – and conditioning – just isn’t there anymore.

Alex Ariza, Pacquiao’s strength and conditioning coach, told the Manila Standard that Pacquiao personally told him “We need to work on my power and strength again.”

Again? When did Ariza stop working on Pacquiao’s power? Was it in 2009? Because that was the last time Pacquiao scored a knockout when he just barely got a 12th round stoppage win over Miguel Cotto. How come Ariza stopped working on Pacquiao’s strength? If he did stop, then why in the heck did Pacquiao keep Ariza hanging around? If the strength hasn’t been there in years, then why keep the guy? If it was me, I would cleaned house a long time ago and swept Aria and trainer Freddie Roach out the door, along with the entire entourage. It would be all new blood, starting with a new trainer, and then a different strength coach. Someones got to take the blame for three years of poor performances from Pacquiao, right?

Ariza said that Pacquiao told him that the two of them will sit down and watch tape of Pacquiao’s loss to Bradley. I’m not sure what Pacquiao can get from that experience other than learning what he should already know – that his power and stamina have taken a major hike.

Here’s my thoughts: When you get a guy that is no longer knocking guys out, and who is having serious stamina issues, those problems generally don’t improve with age. There’s a point of no return for a fighter regardless of what sport they’re competing. If you have a home run hitter in baseball with declining home-run stats, they generally don’t all of a sudden get better just because he sat down with his strength coach to work on building more power. They tend to get worse.

I know Barry Bonds is an exception to that rule, but for the most part, an old guy that isn’t getting the job done like he used to tends to continue on the path as he gets older. It doesn’t get better unfortunately. So, Pacquiao can work hard with Ariza on his strength, but I don’t see it helping him. If anything, it’ll hurt Pacquiao because he’ll become even more slow and sluggish.

What he should be doing is working on getting as light as he can so that his feet are quicker, and he doesn’t get tired out. Speed was what made Pacquiao good in the past, not his power. The thing is I don’t think Pacquiao can go back to what he was even if he does lean down by getting rid of all that useless bulk that he’s put on in recent years.

Jul 24, 2005
Manny Pacquiao is beginning to show clear signs of age

by Geoffrey Ciani - One thing that has been lost in the midst of all the controversy surrounding Timothy Bradley’s split decision victory over Manny Pacquiao is the fact that Pac-Man is starting to show his age. In particular, his once superhuman stamina is now in decline reducing Pacquiao to the punch output of a mere mortal. This is to be expected of a boxer Pacquiao’s age, especially one that utilizes such a dynamic style. The story of the fight, however, has almost exclusively revolved around the decision itself. Since most observers had Pacquiao winning comfortably (I myself had it 118-110 in his favor), the fact that Pacquiao is now beginning to noticeably slow down has been something that has escaped largely unnoticed from the public eye.

When discussing a hypothetical matchup between Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Junior, which is something every die-hard and casual boxing fan has done to the point of exhaustion these past few years, Pacquiao possessed two key attributes that led many to believe he can become the first to defeat Mayweather. One of those keys was the sheer explosiveness of his fight game, which includes tremendous power combined with blazing speed. But the other and equally important key was Pacquiao’s magnificent work rate! Not only is Pacquiao widely viewed as the kind of guy who had the potential to overwhelm Floyd with combination assaults, but his impeccable stamina meant that he would have opportunities to hurt Floyd in every second of every round, for twelve full rounds! It now appears that one of Pacquiao’s biggest advantages in a potential showdown with Floyd is already no longer the great edge onlookers once believed. Let us examine further.

Since scoring his shocking upset win against Oscar De La Hoya, Pacquiao has had five bouts which have gone the full twelve rounds, those being his last five contests. Now most boxing fans will agree that CompuBox punch stats are a good resource to get a certain sense about certain things, but they by no means tell the whole story of a boxing match. That said they can be useful, and I believe this is one such instance. In the chart below you will see that Pacquiao’s punch out per round in his last five fights:

Some interesting things jump out when you examine the numbers. Pacquiao threw more than 100 punches in seven different rounds against Clottey, and in three different rounds with Margarito. He has not passed that total in any round since. What is especially interesting in the Margarito and Clottey fights is that Pacquiao really turned things up in rounds ten through twelve. Now of course styles play a role in all of this. Clottey likes using his turtle shell guard, and Margarito is come-forward and easy to hit, where Pacquiao’s last three opponents have an overall slicker demeanor that could make things trickier. That in itself can be a sign of tactical deficiencies, too. Mosley had success turning Pacquiao and frustrating him, Marquez gave him all kinds of fits when it came to textbook defense and counterpunching, and Bradley did his best in the final three rounds when he was boxing well and actually outworking Pacquiao. In fact, Bradley threw 10 more punches than Manny did in the tenth, 10 more in the eleventh, and 20 more in the twelfth and final round.

Not only did Bradley outwork Pacquiao over the final three frames, Pacquiao also noticeably slowed down. In addition to this, even looking at some of the earlier rounds, Pacquiao was not the Pacquiao of old. He was often coasting through the first two minutes or more of a round without doing anything of note, only to turn up the heat quite literally during the final minute where his power combinations would rock Bradley, and shift otherwise dull rounds clearly into Pacquiao’s favor. This is not the same Manny Pacquiao who had a seemingly limitless supply of energy in previous contests. He is simply not the non-stop punching machine he once was, and the evidence of this can especially be seen in his most recent fight with Bradley, even if Pac-Man actually did manage to throw more punches this time than he did against his old Mexican nemesis. Marquez, however, simply represents a stylistic nightmare for Pacquiao, so his punch output in that one comes with some explanation. Although it is worth noting that Pacquiao did not throw much in the championship rounds of that fight, either.

In the end Pacquiao is exhibiting normal signs of aging and this is to be expected. Ironically, Floyd Mayweather is also showing subtle signs of decline. While he is still a phenomenal athletic specimen with an extraordinarily high ring IQ, Mayweather’s legs are not what they once were. Something similar happened when Roy Jones Junior first started showing signs of decline. With supremely athletic boxers who rely on speed and reflexes, the legs are only going to be able to maintain for so long, and this is one of the first signs of decline in such fighters. To be sure, both fighters are still among the very best of the sport. It is not as if either one has suddenly grown old overnight. But at the same time, they are not the same fighters they were two and three years ago—when the fight should have happened! With the Bradley rematch now looming in November for Pacquiao, and Floyd having a difficult time in prison where his skill set could conceivably be eroding further, if we ever do get to see this damned fight it will lose the charm these two had when they were both at their absolute peak, and the fight was at its greatest demand.

Jul 24, 2005
Paul Williams’ spinal cord not severed; still unclear if he’ll walk again
June 13th, 2012

By Jim Dower: According to AP, former two time WBO welterweight champion Paul Williams’ spinal cord isn’t severed like what was originally thought from his recent terrible motorcycle accident in Georgia. However, it’s still too early to tell if Williams will ever walk again.

Williams (41-2, 27 KO’s) is still paralyzed from the waist down from his motorcycle accident that occurred on May 27th. Dr. Donald P. Leslie told AP “There’s no evidence of any severing. He had a fracture of his spine. The fracture is of the bone…The spinal cord was injured.”

Williams has subsequently had his spine fused, but it’s still yet to be determined if he’ll be able to walk at some point in the future. Dr. Leslie says it could be weeks from now before they learn whether he’ll be able to walk again in the future.

Jul 24, 2005
Bob Arum on 2 names up next for Manny Pacquiao - But I'm not Buying!
By Johnny Benz, Doghous

By Johnny Benz, Doghouse Boxing. - Manny Pacquiao vs. Timothy Bradley II, or Pacquiao vs. Juan Manuel IV? That is already what is shaping up next for Pacquiao.

Most are probably expecting or at least assuming that Bradley vs. Pacquiao would happen next, but according to Arum, he is not ruling out another battle with Juan Manuel Marquez.

Quoted on Ring TV in regards to whether Bradley or Marquez next for Pacquiao, Arum told the publication: "We have to see what’s the more lucrative fight to do. Manny has to see that as a choice."

Well personally, I don't want to see Bradley vs. Pacquiao right away next... there is a bad taste in my mouth over that one. Then again, I don't feel like paying to watch a fourth fight between Pacman and Marquez. I am probably not the only one thinking like this, but I imagine I am going to sit the next Pacquiao Pay-per-view out. If it's Bradley or Marquez... I am going to give my wallet a well deserved break from feeding coins into the Pacman machine. I've spent too much money on watching Pacquiao and I am not getting rewarded in return.

Jul 24, 2005
Boxing $$ Numbers for Pacquiao - Bradley Released - Plus Mayweather Jail Update & more

According to numbers from the NSAC, the Tim Bradley vs. Manny Pacquiao fight did a gate of right around $8.9 million, sold 13,229 tickets with 2020 unsold and 925 comps. On closed-circuit, they sold 4,980 tickets for $249,000.

I understand a “Boxing After Dark” card will take place on Sept. 29th and will feature the likes of Orlando Del Valle vs. Vic Darchinyan, Edwin Rodriguez vs. Jason Escalera and another fight (which will be part of the HBO2 deal promised by Ross Greenburg that never launched)...

Artie Pelullo tells me his August 25th show featuring Dmitry Pirog versus Gennady Golovkin (can't wait for this one) hasn't found a destination yet and many venues are in play. So no update for you guys who have asked. Honestly, this fight could make my bucket list...

It's clear that Kevin Durant is the best closer- if not player- in the NBA. But LeBron James still has something to say about all this...

Should I bring the Stanley Cup with me to Newark? Probably not a good idea...

Well, it looks like Floyd “Attica” Mayweather won't be getting house arres

Jul 24, 2005
Boxing $$ Numbers for Pacquiao - Bradley Released - Plus Mayweather Jail Update & more

According to numbers from the NSAC, the Tim Bradley vs. Manny Pacquiao fight did a gate of right around $8.9 million, sold 13,229 tickets with 2020 unsold and 925 comps. On closed-circuit, they sold 4,980 tickets for $249,000.

I understand a “Boxing After Dark” card will take place on Sept. 29th and will feature the likes of Orlando Del Valle vs. Vic Darchinyan, Edwin Rodriguez vs. Jason Escalera and another fight (which will be part of the HBO2 deal promised by Ross Greenburg that never launched)...

Artie Pelullo tells me his August 25th show featuring Dmitry Pirog versus Gennady Golovkin (can't wait for this one) hasn't found a destination yet and many venues are in play. So no update for you guys who have asked. Honestly, this fight could make my bucket list...

It's clear that Kevin Durant is the best closer- if not player- in the NBA. But LeBron James still has something to say about all this...

Should I bring the Stanley Cup with me to Newark? Probably not a good idea...

Well, it looks like Floyd “Attica” Mayweather won't be getting house arres

Jul 24, 2005
Selcuk Aydin: "Robert Guerrero has no idea what's coming for him!"

World Boxing Council (WBC) Silver world welterweight champion Selcuk Aydin held a press conference at the Ciragan Palace Kempinski hotel in Istanbul to talk about his July 28th world championship bout against Robert "The Ghost" Guerrero.

"I have waited for three years for a big fight and I am very happy that I finally get the chance to show the world what I’m made of on July 28th", said Aydin. "I always said that I would fight anybody. Unfortunately, that doesn’t count for a lot of fighters these days which is the main reason why I couldn’t get a big fight over the past years. I give props to Robert Guerrero for accepting to fight me. He is a three-division world champion and very obviously an excellent boxer. But he has just no idea what’s coming for him. He has never been in the ring with anybody as determined, powerful and heavy-handed as me. I will do what I have to do to take the world championship belt home to Turkey."

Added promoter Ahmet Oner: "We have been working very hard to get this fight on the way. Now it’s all in Selcuk’s hands. This is a very special moment and a once in a lifetime opportunity. No Turkish boxer has ever had such an important and big fight in the USA. It’s Selcuk’s chance to make himself a big name all over the world. Of course, especially after last weekend I am a little bit worried about the scoring of the bout. I just hope that we will have neutral officials. But then again Selcuk knows exactly that it’s always hard to win a decision in your opponent’s backyard. I am pretty sure that he will not try to steal rounds – he will go for the KO because the only thing on his mind is winning this fight!"

Aydin already started training camp in Stuttgart (Germany) five weeks ago where he is working with champion coach Conny Mittermeier. At the end of June he will move camp to California to get adjusted to the time change and weather conditions.

"This fight is so important that we cannot take any chances or make any mistakes", says Oner. "We have to make sure that Selcuk has the best training camp and preparation possible because he needs to be in the best possible shape when he steps into the ring."

Aydin himself, a former WBC international and European champion, is sure that he will take home the victory: "So far training camp is excellent. I feel that I am already in great shape and I will clearly have no weight issues whatsoever. I heard that Robert Guerrero already talks about possible fights with Juan Manuel Marquez and Floyd Mayweather. He can dream about all these big fights as long as he wants to – I will even help him by sending him to sleep so he can dream a little more. I respect Guerrero for all he has done and achieved so far but his way ends on July 28th in San Jose. I suggest he goes back to light- or featherweight and leaves the big guys to someone who can actually handle them."

Jul 24, 2005
Pacquiao vs Bradley: $8.9 Million Live Gate On Par With Recent Manny Fights in Nevada

he June 9 fight between Manny Pacquiao and Timothy Bradley has generated a ton of debate, heated discussions, controversy, and opinion in the boxing world. There was concern going into the fight that it wasn't going to perform at the gate as well as recent Pacquiao fights, and while it sold less tickets, the gate figures have turned out to be about average for a Manny Pacquiao fight.

Pacquiao vs Bradley sold 13,229 tickets (925 comps and 2,070 unsold seats) at the MGM Grand in Vegas, generating a total gate figure of $8,963,180. It's a nice figure, but without question disappointing for a Manny Pacquiao fight, and his lowest Nevada figure in a while.

In November 2011, Pacquiao's third fight with Juan Manuel Marquez posted a gate of $11,648,300, with 15,948 tickets sold to the event. Last month's fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr and Miguel Cotto sold less tickets than Pacquiao-Marquez III, coming in at 14,612, but did a higher gate, at $12,000,150. Those two fights are now Nos. 9 and 10 all-time on the Nevada live gate chart.

Obviously, Pacquiao-Bradley just wasn't the sort of fight that could challenge the recent stellar numbers for big event bouts in Vegas. But I don't think they're a true disappointment, either.

Star-divide

The gate for Pacquiao-Bradley is about where the gates in 2009 were for Pacquiao's fights against Ricky Hatton ($8,832,950) and Miguel Cotto ($8,847,550), actually a bit higher with less tickets sold, due to heavier prices now. Last year's Pacquiao vs Mosley fight did a gate of $8,882,600.

Maybe you can say it was a different world in 2009, and it was, kind of, in that back then, this level of return at the gate was more impressive for Manny. But this is really on par with Manny's post-Oscar Nevada gates. The Marquez fight was an exception, a standout.

This fight also easily outpaced Pacquiao's pair of fights at Cowboys Stadium in 2010, where the money just isn't what it is in Vegas, despite far more tickets sold to those fights. Pacquiao vs Margarito did about $5.4 million at the gate, while Pacquiao vs Clottey came in at $6,359,985. If you ever wonder why promoters stick with Nevada for these "event" fights, that's why. 30-40,000 tickets at Cowboys Stadium isn't as good as 12,000 tickets at the MGM Grand can be.

The commission also says that Pacquiao-Bradley generated an additional $249,000 in closed circuit sales.

Does this mean a rematch is more or less likely? Right before the fight, there was a report that ticket sales had been sluggish, so this isn't a surprise. After the bout, talk was cooled a bit, because nobody's sure if this fight can be sold as a rematch. Do too many people think they already got a definitive winner, only to be told the other guy won?

And whatever someone who reads a site like this and talks about it here might think, the conspiracy talk really is something your general mass of people will discuss, and actually believe in. It doesn't matter if it's true -- it's out there, and people take it seriously. If they think the fight was "fixed," then why would they pay to see another one? There are still a lot of questions about a rematch, but I tend to assume it will happen.