Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 24, 2005
Seth Mitchell To Return On Khan Card In July, Could Face Chauncy Welliver

By James Slater: It looks like we can cross off the name Michael Grant with regards to who will be the next opponent for unbeaten, exciting heavyweight contender Seth Mitchell. “Big” was the man Oscar De La Hoya recently mentioned as being near the top of the list as far as next opponent candidates go, yet the word now is it could well be Chauncy Welliver who lands the next date with Mitchell.

According to Ringtv.com, Mitchell, 25-0-1(19) will likely return on July 7th, on the under-card of the planned Amir Khan return (itself still to be finalised, but with WBC 140-pound champ Danny Garcia being the likely opponent).

Welliver is well known to ESB readers, having been a guest on the On The Ropes radio show a number of times. Having bounced back from his 2008 stoppage loss to Odlanier Solis (who, by the way, makes his own ring return this weekend, against Konstantin Airich), the 29-year-old “Hillyard Hammer” has lost a good deal of weight and punched out a straight 18 wins. Boxing in New Zealand and in the U.S, the 6’2” approx 235-pounder has kept himself very active.

Craving a big fight (Welliver didn’t want to fight Bert Cooper last time out, a fight he received a fair amount of criticism for), the Mitchell fight now looks to be his. A win would really shake up Mitchell and his lofty plans, and Welliver would amazingly be in a position to be able to call for a title shot of some kind (he already holds the WBC Continental Americas strap).

Team-Mitchell will possibly look at Welliver, 53-5-5(20) as a relatively “safe” opponent, noting his general lack of punching power. But Welliver is a tough guy, a determined guy and he is a hungry guy. If Mitchell were to bang out a stoppage, particularly an early one, he will have done well.

Maybe, however, Mitchell and his handlers feel he needs rounds as he continues his development into a genuine world title challenger. Stopped just once as he has been (by Solis, in the 9th-round of a competitive fight), Welliver could be the man to provide “Mayhem,” as Mitchell is known, with those rounds.

You can bet your life Welliver is working hard in the gym right now, hoping that he will indeed get this big opportunity handed to him.

Jul 24, 2005
Schaefer says no more fights in Washington, DC unless Lamont Peterson is stripped of his two titles
May 15th, 2012

By William Mackay: Richard Schaefer, the CEO of Golden Boy Promotions, wants IBF/WBA light welterweight champion Lamont Peterson to be stripped of his two titles by the Washington, DC State Athletic Commission, International Boxing Federation and the World Boxing Association for him admitting that he used synthetic Testosterone in November of last year a month before Peterson’s win over Golden Boy Promotions fighter Amir Khan.

If The Washington, D.C commission fails to strip Peterson of his two titles, then Schaefer is saying there won’t be any future Golden Boy fights in that venue.

Schaefer said this to RingTV “If the D.C. commission is going to leave that result the way that it is, and the guy has actually admitted that he used testosterone, then that basically would mean that it’s okay to take the testosterone pellets a month before a fight and not tell the commission anything…If that’s the position Washington [D.C] is taking, then I will tell you that I’ll never go back.”

Wow, that seems like Schaefer is exerting some pressure to get his way, doesn’t it? I don’t see the point. Say the Washington, D.C commission does decide to strip Peterson of his two titles, I don’t see how that changes anything. Khan still got beat by Peterson, and it won’t do a thing to change that, will it? They can have the fight changed to a no contest, but people will still see Khan as having lost to Peterson. It’ll just be a weird situation where a governing body takes away a victory from a fighter, and that’ll be that. If Khan doesn’t fight Peterson and prove that he’s better than him, then it’s pointless to have Peterson stripped of his two titles.

It’s not as if Khan is going to stick around at 140 anyway. He plans on moving up in weight after one more fight at light welterweight, so what good does it do to try and have Peterson stripped of his titles? He’ll just come right back and win them again, and there’s not much Schaefer and Golden Boy will be able to do about that but watch it and be unhappy.

What Schaefer should be doing is trying to arrange a fight between Khan and Peterson, even if it means going outside of the U.S to make it happen if Peterson can’t get a boxing license. I find it hard to imagine that a state like Texas wouldn’t give Peterson a boxing license, and that’s what he should do. But seriously, Schaefer should be trying to get Khan to avenge the defeat instead of wasting time looking to get Peterson’s titles stripped, because it doesn’t change anything.

Khan was already exposed by Peterson, and nothing changes that. The only thing that can change that is if Khan avenges the defeat, and I don’t see him even trying to do that. It’ll be just another loss on Khan’s resume that he never avenges like his 1st round knockout defeat at the hands of Breidis Prescott. Khan never even tried to avenge that loss. I hope he doesn’t avoid Peterson, because he really needs to fight him again to prove himself.

Jul 24, 2005
Erik Morales a possibility for Amir Khan’s next fight on July 7th
May 15th, 2012

By William Mackay: WBC light welterweight champion Danny Garcia is in the driver’s seat as the leading candidate for a fight against Amir Khan on July 7th in Las Vegas, Nevada. However, Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer is now saying that 35-year-old Erik Morales (52-8, 36 KO’s) is in the running to face Khan as well.

Schaefer said to RingTV “Garcia is one of the names that is being discussed for Amir Khan. But Erik Morales mentioned to us today that he would love to fight Amir Khan, so that’s another possibility.”

Do the math. Morales is the much bigger fight for Khan than taking on little known Garcia, who looked plainly awful in beating an out of shape Morales last March. I don’t think the casual boxing fans care one bit whether Morales lost that fight. He’s still the much better option for Khan and Golden Boy if they can make that fight. However, there’s a lot of competition for Morales, as Top Rank is looking to match WBO light welterweight interim champion Juan Manuel Marquez against Morales on July 14th at the Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

I’m sorry, Khan, but the Morales-Marquez fight is a much bigger fight than Morales-Khan, and one that no doubt Morales will jump at if he can get it. Morales would take a fight against Marquez any day of the week than facing Khan. It’s the better fight, and likely the much bigger payday because of the huge gate that the fight would attract in Texas. It would likely be a pay per view bout as well, and that would help make Morales’ decision to take the fight much easier for him because he’ll get a good payday.

An in shape Morales would give Khan a lot of trouble if the referee is keeping Khan from fouling. If Khan can shove, pull down on Morales’ head and put him in headlocks like Khan did with Lamont Peterson last December, then I would favor Khan. But if Khan is penalized each time he fouls, I see Morales pulling off an upset.

CZAR

Sicc OG
Aug 25, 2003
not sure if trolling or serious?? I highly doubt golden boy is going to have Canelo headline a regular hbo fight on Mexican independence day weekend. Golden boy isn't stupid they saw the #'s the last ppv involving canelo brought in.
Trolling? Get real mane. How are they gonna judge numbers for Canelo off of a Mayweather card? Haha. Those numbers come from the best in the business. Sure some people bought in for Canelo but believe me it was all about the PPV King and without him this PPV would be much lower believe me. Got Em!!

Erik Morales a possibility for Amir Khan’s next fight on July 7th
May 15th, 2012

By William Mackay: WBC light welterweight champion Danny Garcia is in the driver’s seat as the leading candidate for a fight against Amir Khan on July 7th in Las Vegas, Nevada. However, Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer is now saying that 35-year-old Erik Morales (52-8, 36 KO’s) is in the running to face Khan as well.

Schaefer said to RingTV “Garcia is one of the names that is being discussed for Amir Khan. But Erik Morales mentioned to us today that he would love to fight Amir Khan, so that’s another possibility.”

Do the math. Morales is the much bigger fight for Khan than taking on little known Garcia, who looked plainly awful in beating an out of shape Morales last March. I don’t think the casual boxing fans care one bit whether Morales lost that fight. He’s still the much better option for Khan and Golden Boy if they can make that fight. However, there’s a lot of competition for Morales, as Top Rank is looking to match WBO light welterweight interim champion Juan Manuel Marquez against Morales on July 14th at the Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

I’m sorry, Khan, but the Morales-Marquez fight is a much bigger fight than Morales-Khan, and one that no doubt Morales will jump at if he can get it. Morales would take a fight against Marquez any day of the week than facing Khan. It’s the better fight, and likely the much bigger payday because of the huge gate that the fight would attract in Texas. It would likely be a pay per view bout as well, and that would help make Morales’ decision to take the fight much easier for him because he’ll get a good payday.

An in shape Morales would give Khan a lot of trouble if the referee is keeping Khan from fouling. If Khan can shove, pull down on Morales’ head and put him in headlocks like Khan did with Lamont Peterson last December, then I would favor Khan. But if Khan is penalized each time he fouls, I see Morales pulling off an upset.
Poor Khan cant catch a break. Fighting Morales will do nuthin for this kid. Got Em!!

Jul 24, 2005
Juan Manuel Marquez-Erik Morales Possible For July 14th

By James Slater: They are two of the greatest Mexican fighters in all of boxing history, yet modern day legends Erik Morales and Juan Manuel Marquez have never faced one another in the ring. This could change on July 14th at Cowboys Stadium in Texas according to a news piece on Ringtv.com.

Richard Schaefer informed the web site of “The Bible of Boxing” that talks have been started regarding making a match between the two veterans.

“July 14th, that is the date that Top Rank is looking at for Marquez, so we’ll see. Hopefully we can get that done with Morales,” Schaefer said.

Originally, the drum was being banged for a Marquez-Brandon Rios clash, but “Bam Bam” looked so poor in being handed a gift of a decision “win” over Richard Abril that the fight fell through. Then Marquez, hoping to land a fourth date with archrival Manny Pacquiao in the fall, started searching for a southpaw, with former champ Zab Judah being a possibility, but now it looks like the all-Mexican showdown that has eluded fans for all these years could finally happen this summer.

Morales, last seen losing a heavy decision against the much younger Danny Garcia, is not the force he once was, and he has far less left than does Marquez; even though “Dinamita” is the older man by three years. “El Terrible” has a lot more miles on the clock and has taken more punishment than has his countryman. Even so, this Mexican grudge-match will attract a ton of fan interest if it goes down. And you can simply never count out Morales - the last man to have done what Marquez, 54-6-1(39) so passionately wants to do, and beat Pac-Man.

Marquez, one of the best 38-year-old’s in all of boxing, has to be made a significant favourite, but styles makes fights, and Morales’ style, sheer drive and motivation to win this one may lead him to give the reigning interim WBO 140-pound champ a really hard time in the summer. The legacy of both men cannot afford a loss here, and that alone should inspire both men into giving us fans yet another sensational fight. For Morales, this fight, if it happens, will likely be his last headlining show - if he loses, that is.

But if Morales, 52-8(36) wins? Could we get a Pacquiao-Morales IV instead of a Pacquiao-Marquez IV?

Jul 24, 2005
l Bernstein’s Top-10 Greatest-Ever Fighters

By James Slater: Recently, I got in touch with Emanuel Steward and Thomas “Hitman” Hearns, asking them for their opinions as to who the ten greatest-ever fighters in history are. Both greats kindly got back to me, and I was also given another expert’s personal top-10: that of Showtime commentator and all-round boxing brain Al Bernstein.

Fans always like to read a list of this kind, all the more so when a bonafide boxing expert is providing it. Who knows more about boxing than Bernstein? Al has been commentating for decades now and he has forgotten more about boxing than most of us will ever know.

Over the years, while working for ESPN and for Showtime, Bernstein has watched many great fighters and fights, and he is as qualified as anyone to give us his choices for the ten finest boxers in history. Al admitted that it “wasn’t easy” picking his top-10, but here it is:

1: Sugar Ray Robinson

2: Henry Armstrong

3: Archie Moore

4: Joe Louis

5: Muhammad Ali

6: Sugar Ray Leonard

7: Jack Johnson

8: Marvin Hagler

9: Roberto Duran

10: Ricardo Lopez

CZAR

Sicc OG
Aug 25, 2003
Hell Morales just might beat Khan......hahaaaa
Khan would end that guys career in gruesome fashion trust me! Got Em!!

Juan Manuel Marquez-Erik Morales Possible For July 14th

By James Slater: They are two of the greatest Mexican fighters in all of boxing history, yet modern day legends Erik Morales and Juan Manuel Marquez have never faced one another in the ring. This could change on July 14th at Cowboys Stadium in Texas according to a news piece on Ringtv.com.

Richard Schaefer informed the web site of “The Bible of Boxing” that talks have been started regarding making a match between the two veterans.

“July 14th, that is the date that Top Rank is looking at for Marquez, so we’ll see. Hopefully we can get that done with Morales,” Schaefer said.

Originally, the drum was being banged for a Marquez-Brandon Rios clash, but “Bam Bam” looked so poor in being handed a gift of a decision “win” over Richard Abril that the fight fell through. Then Marquez, hoping to land a fourth date with archrival Manny Pacquiao in the fall, started searching for a southpaw, with former champ Zab Judah being a possibility, but now it looks like the all-Mexican showdown that has eluded fans for all these years could finally happen this summer.

Morales, last seen losing a heavy decision against the much younger Danny Garcia, is not the force he once was, and he has far less left than does Marquez; even though “Dinamita” is the older man by three years. “El Terrible” has a lot more miles on the clock and has taken more punishment than has his countryman. Even so, this Mexican grudge-match will attract a ton of fan interest if it goes down. And you can simply never count out Morales - the last man to have done what Marquez, 54-6-1(39) so passionately wants to do, and beat Pac-Man.

Marquez, one of the best 38-year-old’s in all of boxing, has to be made a significant favourite, but styles makes fights, and Morales’ style, sheer drive and motivation to win this one may lead him to give the reigning interim WBO 140-pound champ a really hard time in the summer. The legacy of both men cannot afford a loss here, and that alone should inspire both men into giving us fans yet another sensational fight. For Morales, this fight, if it happens, will likely be his last headlining show - if he loses, that is.

But if Morales, 52-8(36) wins? Could we get a Pacquiao-Morales IV instead of a Pacquiao-Marquez IV?
Now this fight would make much more sense and be huge for the Mexican public! The loser should retire if it happens though. Got Em!!

l Bernstein’s Top-10 Greatest-Ever Fighters

By James Slater: Recently, I got in touch with Emanuel Steward and Thomas “Hitman” Hearns, asking them for their opinions as to who the ten greatest-ever fighters in history are. Both greats kindly got back to me, and I was also given another expert’s personal top-10: that of Showtime commentator and all-round boxing brain Al Bernstein.

Fans always like to read a list of this kind, all the more so when a bonafide boxing expert is providing it. Who knows more about boxing than Bernstein? Al has been commentating for decades now and he has forgotten more about boxing than most of us will ever know.

Over the years, while working for ESPN and for Showtime, Bernstein has watched many great fighters and fights, and he is as qualified as anyone to give us his choices for the ten finest boxers in history. Al admitted that it “wasn’t easy” picking his top-10, but here it is:

1: Sugar Ray Robinson

2: Henry Armstrong

3: Archie Moore

4: Joe Louis

5: Muhammad Ali

6: Sugar Ray Leonard

7: Jack Johnson

8: Marvin Hagler

9: Roberto Duran

10: Ricardo Lopez
I would move Muhammad & Leonard up and then add Floyd to the list! Got Em!!

Jul 24, 2005
Khan would end that guys career in gruesome fashion trust me! Got Em!!

Now this fight would make much more sense and be huge for the Mexican public! The loser should retire if it happens though. Got Em!!

I would move Muhammad & Leonard up and then add Floyd to the list! Got Em!!
roy jones needs to be added to that list too

BUTCHER 206

FREE BUTCHER206
Aug 22, 2003
Seattle, WA

lol @ manny pacquiao going in on homos calling them sinners and shit, then mayweather responding like this^

didnt mayweather say a bunch of shit during some webcam shit awhile ago, calling pacquiao a fag for god and all this otehr shit, tons of gay slurs directed at pacquiao?

Jan 18, 2006
I wouldnt be surprised if Mayweather if some how aligned with Jay Z cuz Jay basically is saying the same thing and im sure Jay had anti gay lyrics in the past

CZAR

Sicc OG
Aug 25, 2003

lol @ manny pacquiao going in on homos calling them sinners and shit, then mayweather responding like this^

didnt mayweather say a bunch of shit during some webcam shit awhile ago, calling pacquiao a fag for god and all this otehr shit, tons of gay slurs directed at pacquiao?
The difference is we use gay slurs in different ways as a figure of speech. Kinda like that Grant Hill commercial when someone said your moves on the court are gay. Obviously they dont mean your moves are homosexual but using gay to mean weak or sumthin of that fashion. Its common to say fag, gay etc...in using it for a different meaning and just because someone calls someone gay or uses those slurs doesnt mean they are against actual gay people. Two different things. Got Em!!

BUTCHER 206

FREE BUTCHER206
Aug 22, 2003
Seattle, WA
The difference is we use gay slurs in different ways as a figure of speech. Kinda like that Grant Hill commercial when someone said your moves on the court are gay. Obviously they dont mean your moves are homosexual but using gay to mean weak or sumthin of that fashion. Its common to say fag, gay etc...in using it for a different meaning and just because someone calls someone gay or uses those slurs doesnt mean they are against actual gay people. Two different things. Got Em!!
i dont get what you mean by "we", like, are you and mayweather family or something or are you a part of mayweathers camp? lol.

so did he or did he not use gay slurs? i dont care what he meant when he said them, the gays look at it the same way

CZAR

Sicc OG
Aug 25, 2003
i dont get what you mean by "we", like, are you and mayweather family or something or are you a part of mayweathers camp? lol.

so did he or did he not use gay slurs? i dont care what he meant when he said them, the gays look at it the same way
Wow a mind is a terrible thing to waste! Do I really have to explain? "We" meaning us in the public in general. That could be me, u, jack, felipe, or gus haha. I cant remember if in fact May used gay slurs but if he did Im sure he didnt mean it literally. Hope that helps. Got Em!!