Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 24, 2005
Cotto: I’ll beat Mayweather with power and pressure
March 28th, 2012

By Dan Ambrose: WBA junior middleweight champion Miguel Cotto (37-2, 30 KO’s) thinks he’s got the keys to beating undefeated Floyd Mayweather Jr. (42-0, 26 KO’s) in their May 5th fight by putting pressure on him and landing big power shots. It sounds like the beginnings of a plan but one that’s already failed countless times over by other opponents that Mayweather has soundly beaten.

Cotto said this as quoted by examiner.com “I plan to apply pressure and apply power. It is going to work for me too.”

Cotto is going to have to apply a great deal of pressure for him to beat a top level fighter like Mayweather, because Cotto didn’t look all that impressive in his last fight against Antonio Margarito in the last round of that fight before it was halted. It looked like old Cotto to me with him starting to take hits and looks flustered. Mayweather is too fast for Cotto and is going to have ample opportunities to pick him apart, especially if Cotto is serious about wanting to apply a lot of pressure. That kind of thing works against the fodder that Cotto’s ex-promoter Bob Arum has been feeding him for the past three years, but not against Mayweather. Cotto has to come up with new ideas because just rushing Mayweather and going for broke isn’t likely to work. You don’t beat Mayweather by bum rushing him and hoping to hurt him with a big shots.

Cotto says he’s got his confidence back that he lost when he was beaten by Margarito in their first fight. If confidence was all that Cotto needed to beat Mayweather, then things would be great. But confidence, whether real or false, isn’t enough to beat an ‘A’ level fighter like Mayweather when Cotto has never proven in the past that he can beat an ‘A’ fighter. Manny Pacquiao made Cotto look silly and now Mayweather, who is arguably even better than Pacquiao, will do the same if not worse.

Feb 8, 2006
Timothy Bradley inks one-year Nike deal

http://www.mydesert.com/article/2012...TS03/203280316

When Cathedral City boxer Timothy Bradley signed a one-year endorsement deal with shoe giant Nike in early March, he knew it was really an audition.

Bradley will fight boxing superstar Manny Pacquiao on June 9, and will be the subject of the HBO series “24/7” in preparation for the fight.

Bradley said an HBO crew will be in town next week to begin shooting but wasn't sure if it was for “24/7.”

Nike will provide apparel for Bradley, including his robe, trunks and training gear.

“Tim Bradley's visibility is about to increase tenfold,” said Lucia McKelvey, executive vice president of marketing for Top Ranks in a Sports Business Journal article. “With ‘24/7' following him around, he's going to be in the public eye all the time. So why not be polished with his look?”

In addition to Bradley, his entire team will be wearing Nike gear in his corner. And Bradley said he's excited to sport the swoosh.

“They'll make it for everyone, the whole team,” Bradley said. “We'll sport Nike. We'll bleed Nike.”

Bradley would not discuss the financial terms of this contract but said it's almost like an audition for the company.

And if Bradley upsets Pacquiao on June 9, he's excited about the prospects with Nike.

“If I beat their boxing superstar, I'll be the next boxing superstar for Nike,” Bradley said. “I have to prove myself. But if I win, then I'm like, ‘What's happening? Show me the money.'”

In addition to sporting Nike apparel, Bradley will have a fan event at the Las Vegas Niketown at the Forum Shops inside Caesars Palace during the week of the fight.

“It feels awesome to join the Nike clan,” Bradley said. “I can't wait to shine on June 9 in Nike apparel.

“All the best athletes sign with Nike, and I consider myself the best.”

Nike is the third company that has an endorsement deal with Bradley.

The other two are health science company Usana, and Bite Tech, which provides Bradley's mouthpiece.

Jul 24, 2005
Dirrell: Cotto is too slow, Mayweather is going to beat him
March 29th, 2012

By Scott Gilfoid: Super middleweight contender Andre Dirrell is siding with undefeated Floyd Mayweather Jr. in his May 5th fight against WBA junior middleweight champion Miguel Cotto, according to the examiner.com. Dirrell knows how good Mayweather Jr. is and sees this fight as one of your basic slaughter, comparing it to Mayweather’s easy win over Arturo Gatti in the past in a 6th round wipe-out in 2005.

Dirrell told interviewer Chris Robinson at the Examiner.com “He’s [Mayweather] technically too fast, too skilled, too precise. Miguel can be hit. He gets bloodied; he’s right there for you to hit; he’s slow and Floyd is just too precise.”

I’m not much of a fan of either Mayweather or Cotto, but Dirrell knows better than anyone how good Mayweather is because he’s seen him up close in his gym in Las Vegas and is well aware of his talents. Dirrell reminds me a lot of Mayweather with his silky smooth movements around the ring and his ironclad defensive skills.

Cotto looks vulnerable to be sure. He seems to run into trouble when he gets hit a lot and I haven’t seen him face anyone good for such a long time. Maybe it’s an accident that his promoter kept away from dangerous opposition the past few years.

Cotto resembles a plodder with his slow feet and his almost complete preoccupation with throwing power shots. He doesn’t seem to ever just look to connect with fast shots. Everything is power with this guy. I think maybe his trainer might make some small changes to his game for the Mayweather fight but I wouldn’t expect more than a tiny change to Cotto’s game. It won’t be enough for him to beat a fighter like Mayweather. Cotto would need to change 90% of his game for the positive for him to have a chance at beating Mayweather.

Jul 24, 2005
Chisora appeals license withdrawal; his promoter wants Haye fight
March 29th, 2012

By William Mackay: Former British and Commonwealth heavyweight champion Dereck Chisora (15-3, 9 KO’s) has appealed his license withdrawal to the British Boxing Board of Control, hoping he can get his boxing license back so that he can resume his sagging career. Chisora has lost three out of his last four fights and seems to be going nowhere fast on the world heavyweight scene.

Frank Warren, the promoter for Chisora, said to The Mail “The appeal has gone in already. The grounds for the appeal are that we’re not satisfied with the way the hearing went. There was no chance to review any evidence at the hearing. All I want is a fair hearing.”

Who knows what will happen with the appeal but I wouldn’t bet that Chisora is given back his backing boxing license anytime soon. Chisora acted erratically in the week of the fight with WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko last February, slapping Vitali for seemingly no reason at the weigh-in the day before the fight, and then spitting water in the face of Wladimir Klitschko in the ring on the night of the fight, and then after the bout getting involved with a post fight brawl with David Haye.

It may not have been Chisora who actually started the physical altercation with Haye, but Chisora definitely said he was going to slap Haye and then he walked up to him to confront him. Given the earlier threat, it came to no surprise that Haye decided to get in the first shot rather than wait around to see what happens. Chisora should have stayed in his seat during the press conference and not walked up on Haye. After the brawl, Chisora made things worse for himself by saying he wanted to burn and shoot Haye due to Haye allegedly hitting him with a bottle when he punched him.

Warren is hoping he can put together a fight between Haye and Chisora in the ring, despite Haye already having said multiple times that he wants nothing to do with Chisora due to him having lost at the domestic level, European level and the world level. Haye has no interest whatsoever in that fight.

Warren said “[a fight between Haye and Chisora] Bigger than either of them fighting Wladimir or Vitali Klitschko. It’s a natural fight, it doesn’t matter what everyone says. There’s a lot for them to fight about…I do see the fight happening. It’s the proper forum for them to settle their differences.”

I don’t think it’s going to happen for a couple of reasons. Chisora has lost all those fights and that’s not appealing for Haye to fight someone that has been beaten so many times in such a short period. Additionally, Chisora showed himself to be unpredictable before and after the Vitali fight, as well as before and during some of his other fights with Chisora slapping, spitting, kissing and even biting opponents. I don’t think Haye wants to be walking on egg shells around Chisora, not knowing if he’s going to get kissed, slapped, bit or whatever Chisora can think of to try rile Haye and get the boxing public interested in the fight. But besides that, Chisora made the threat about wanting to shoot and burn Haye and my guess is Haye won’t want to be around someone that made threats like that and has sometimes had a problem controlling his behavior.

Jul 24, 2005
Schaefer: Mayweather-Pacquiao fight won’t happen in 2012
March 29th, 2012

By Chris Williams: Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer ruled out any chance of a historic mega fight taking place between WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. and WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao in 2012. Schaefer says the fight definitely won’t happen this year, and he feels it likely won’t happen until Pacquiao is down to his final fight before he retires.

Schaefer told the Telegraph.co.uk “It will happen but not his year. Probably when Pacquiao is ready to retire and has run out of other options.”

I agree. The Mayweather-Pacquiao probably won’t get made until Pacquiao is on the verge of retirement and/or he starts taking losses to Timothy Bradley and some of the other fighters in his promoter Bob Arum’s Top Rank boxing stable. At that point, there will likely be a huge rush to make the fight Mayweather fight to get the payday fight while there’s still a glimmer of hope to get it. Once Pacquiao starts getting beaten, you can expect his pay-per-view numbers to drop off. I don’t know how he’ll still be pushed as a PPV attraction once he starts losing but I expect Arum to keep having his fights as PPV even if he loses five or more times before he retires. Frankly, I doubt Pacquiao will stick around for long if he takes more than one loss. I see his pride being too much for him to stick around once he’s losing.

Arum said something about Pacquiao retiring in 2013, but I don’t see that happening. If Pacquiao gets by Timothy Bradley in June and keeps beating the Top Rank stable fighters that Arum has been putting him in with, I can see Pacquiao sticking around as long as 2015 to 2017, milking his WBO title, making a lot of money against the guys that Arum finds for him. A fight with Mayweather won’t happen unless Mayweather is good with sticking around for another three to four years until he’s 38 or 39, at which point he can get the fight with Pacquiao right before he retires. By then, few boxing fans will even care about the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight, but at least the Pacquiao gravy train was allowed to continue another three to four years longer than it would have had Pacquiao been matched against Mayweather to begin with.

Aug 31, 2003
www.ebay.com
Timothy Bradley inks one-year Nike deal

http://www.mydesert.com/article/2012...TS03/203280316

When Cathedral City boxer Timothy Bradley signed a one-year endorsement deal with shoe giant Nike in early March, he knew it was really an audition.

Bradley will fight boxing superstar Manny Pacquiao on June 9, and will be the subject of the HBO series “24/7” in preparation for the fight.

Bradley said an HBO crew will be in town next week to begin shooting but wasn't sure if it was for “24/7.”

Nike will provide apparel for Bradley, including his robe, trunks and training gear.

“Tim Bradley's visibility is about to increase tenfold,” said Lucia McKelvey, executive vice president of marketing for Top Ranks in a Sports Business Journal article. “With ‘24/7' following him around, he's going to be in the public eye all the time. So why not be polished with his look?”

In addition to Bradley, his entire team will be wearing Nike gear in his corner. And Bradley said he's excited to sport the swoosh.

“They'll make it for everyone, the whole team,” Bradley said. “We'll sport Nike. We'll bleed Nike.”

Bradley would not discuss the financial terms of this contract but said it's almost like an audition for the company.

And if Bradley upsets Pacquiao on June 9, he's excited about the prospects with Nike.

“If I beat their boxing superstar, I'll be the next boxing superstar for Nike,” Bradley said. “I have to prove myself. But if I win, then I'm like, ‘What's happening? Show me the money.'”

In addition to sporting Nike apparel, Bradley will have a fan event at the Las Vegas Niketown at the Forum Shops inside Caesars Palace during the week of the fight.

“It feels awesome to join the Nike clan,” Bradley said. “I can't wait to shine on June 9 in Nike apparel.

“All the best athletes sign with Nike, and I consider myself the best.”

Nike is the third company that has an endorsement deal with Bradley.

The other two are health science company Usana, and Bite Tech, which provides Bradley's mouthpiece.
Props to Bradley. Whatever ends up happening on the 9th he got to where he's at the right way. No manufactured hype, no big time promotion behind him or huge paydays (until after people realized how good he was).

Feb 3, 2006
And just a year ago Bradley was called a ducker, but like I said then Bradley will be the one with the last laugh. Now look at him more fans, Nike deal, and a big payday with Pac-Man. Not bad for a so-called ducker who made a smart business waiting out his contract.

Jul 24, 2005
Linares vs. Thompson on Saturday
March 29th, 2012

By Jason Kim: 26-year-old lightweight contender Jorge Linares (31-2, 20 KO’s) will be back in the ring for the first time since being stopped in the 11th round last October by Antonio Demarco in a fight for the vacant WBC lightweight title. Linares will be facing Sergio Thompson (21-2, 19 KO’s) in a WBC lightweight title eliminator at the Oasis Hotel Complex in Cancun, Mexico.

If Linares can get past this fight in one piece with a victory, then Linares will be facing DeMarco in a rematch on July 7th at the Home Depot Center in Carson, California.

Linares took a lot of punishment in that fight against DeMarco and sustained a couple of really nasty cuts that obscured his ability to see resulting in DeMarco taking complete control over the fight in the 2nd half of the bout until hurting Linares and stopping him in the 11th from a series of hard looping shots to the head.

Linares, #2 WBA, #2 WBC, has a tough fight on his hands with Thompson. This guy might not be all that fast nor quite as tall as him, but he’s got some power and he keeps coming forward all night long. Like a lot of fighters, most of Thompson’s fights have come against mediocre 2nd tier opposition. However, Thompson stepped it up against WBC International lightweight champion Alisher Rahimov in September 2010, losing by a 12 round split decision in an action packed fight.

If Thompson fights like that this Saturday night, Linares could have some major problems on his hands because he took way too much punishment in his last fight and you don’t want to see him getting hit a lot back to back like that. Linares needs to get out of this fight relatively whole so that he can be in good enough shape to where he might have a better chance against DeMarco in their rematch in July. I don’t expect Linares to win that fight because his stamina is poor and he can’t take shots all that well without getting hurt. Linares can really dish it out and then some, but he can’t take it for anything. He has a great trainer in Freddie Roach, but he’s limited what he can when Linares fades like he did last time out.

Dec 9, 2005
And just a year ago Bradley was called a ducker, but like I said then Bradley will be the one with the last laugh. Now look at him more fans, Nike deal, and a big payday with Pac-Man. Not bad for a so-called ducker who made a smart business waiting out his contract.
Very true. I still would have liked to, and wouldn't mind seeing Bradley-Khan at 140. I think Bradley & Cotto were both huge beneficiaries of the Pac-May fight falling through once again.

Jul 24, 2005
Exclusive Interview: Talkin’ Boxing With Heavyweight Legend Earnie Shavers

ernie shaversBy James Slater - James Slater: It’s great to speak with you, Earnie - a heavyweight legend! I know you know David Haye quite well. People are still talking about the brawl he and Dereck Chisora had in Germany; today (March 29th) Chisora appealed the decision that saw his licence taken away. Do you think both guys should be able to fight again?

Earnie Shavers: Well, they should serve some time for what they did, definitely - but I don’t think they should be banned for life. No, let them back after a time, let them earn a good living.

J.S: Did anyone ever try and get at you outside of the ring, Earnie - at a press conference or anything like that?

E.S: Oh, no, never anything like that. I got on fine with all fighters outside of the ring. I had no problems.

J.S: Were boxers more gentlemanly back in your day?

E.S: Yes, and we also had great trainers - trainers who not only taught us boxing but also how to conduct ourselves as gentlemen. The trainers taught us and told us what not to do..

J.S: People always like to speculate on who would have beaten who. What would have happened had you and Haye rumbled?

E.S: I’d have knocked him out, probably in two or three rounds. I hit way too hard for him. But I like David, he’s a friend of mine, and a good fighter.

J.S: How about you and the Klitschkos? You’re 6.0” and you were around 215 I your prime, while the two brothers are 6.6 or more and around 240. How would you have done against them, as big as they are?

E.S: Let me tell you something, I loved facing big, slow guys like that. I wouldn’t have had any problems with them.

J.S: You feel you’d have got inside the long jab and gone to work on the inside?

E.S: Yes. I’d have worked inside, then attacked the body first, to bring the hands down, and then I’d have gone to the head. I’d have landed shots to the heart, a left hook to the kidney, and then shot a right hand to the head. Then you’d have heard ‘Timbeeerr!’ (laughs).

J.S: Do you think the Klitschkos deserve to be rated as all-time greats? That’s what some people are saying right now, as it’s been so long since they lost, and they have dominated the division for so long now.

E.S: I don’t think so, no. They’re good fighters, but not in terms of all-time. They haven’t been in with top guys.

J.S: Is that because there is simply no-one around?

E.S: Yes, I agree with you, it is not their fault.

J.S: You were part of a golden era, a special time for the heavyweights: the 1970s. Was that the best time ever for the heavyweight division in your opinion?

E.S: Yes, I would say so. You had so many great fighters all around at the same time, facing each other. In fact, there were too many great fighters around at the same time. To my knowledge, it has never been like that before or since.

J.S: As you know, Earnie, Bert Sugar passed away a few days ago. I have a copy of your DVD, and Bert introduces it - he called you the hardest punching heavyweight he’d ever seen……

E.S: Oh, I knew Bert well, we were friends. I saw him two months ago. It’s very sad, his passing. We all have to live life to the full while we can.

J.S: Bert told a story that says that when you fought Bernardo Mercado (in March of 1980, actually a stoppage loss for Shavers), you hit him so hard you’re glove actually imploded! Is that true?
E.S: It did, yes.

J.S: Wow, that’s real power!

E.S: (laughs) Well, I did punch pretty good.

J.S: How much boxing do you watch today, Earnie? Which fighters do you like?

E.S: Well, I don’t watch all that much. I like Mayweather and Pacquiao.

J.S: We all want to see them fight and I know you’re the same. Who wins if they do meet?

E.S: Mayweather. He’s too fast and he’ll win on points.

J.S: Going back to your day, a time when the best always fought the best, would you have ever messed around as much as Mayweather and Pacquioa have? There is something like $20 million to $30 million on the table for each fighter, maybe more!

E.S: Both guys are crazy. I just can’t understand it. You know, if one of them gets hurt or something, the deal’s off. That’s crazy. We’re in the game to make money. With that kind of money to be earned, who cares who wins?

J.S: I agree, Earnie. We just need to see it. Thanks so much for your time.

E.S: Thank you, and tell all my fans in Britain, I love you and thanks for all the support.

Jul 24, 2005
Usher set to play Boxing Legend in upcoming Roberto Duran film

By John J. Raspanti, Doghouse Boxing (March 27, 2012) Doghouse Boxing
-
Usher

By John J. Raspanti, Doghouse Boxing: Top R&B artist Usher has signed on to play the legendary "Sugar" Ray Leonard in the forthcoming film, “Hands of Stone.” The movie tells the rags to riches story of Roberto Duran as he fights his way off the streets of Panama. Gael Garcia Bernal is Duran with Robert De Niro cast as trainer Ray Arcel.

"I'm in preparation for a very incredible role," Usher told the BBC. "If you see me in the corners boxing, I'm doing that while working on this album."

The legendary Duran won titles in four different weight divisions. He first fought Leonard in 1980. He staggered Leonard in round two and went on to win a unanimous decision. The rematch, held five months later in New Orleans saw Duran quitting in round eight as he famously muttered, "No mas" to the referee.

The success of “The Fighter” two years ago reminded Hollywood that a prime boxing movie could make money. Hollywood's interest in boxing goes all the way back to the silent days.

The film starts principal photography in a few months and opens in theaters, in 2013..

Jul 24, 2005
Mike Tyson on his one-man Vegas act: Raw, revealing

LAS VEGAS – The ex-fighter with the famously tattooed face, battered reputation and tortured self-esteem approaches the proscenium of the MGM Grand's Hollywood Theater. In the darkened showroom, Mike Tyson shifts uncomfortably on a stage, a lonely figure in blinding light.

Mike Tyson says he has 'come full circle,' after a prison term on a rape conviction, three stints in rehab, two failed marriages and the death of a child.

By Ronda Churchill, for USA TODAY

Mike Tyson says he has 'come full circle,' after a prison term on a rape conviction, three stints in rehab, two failed marriages and the death of a child.

Enlarge

By Ronda Churchill, for USA TODAY

Ads by Google
Perfect Getaway Savings.A luxury getaway and great savings.
What could be more perfect?LongboatKeyClub.com
Buy Plastic Plant PotsQuality Organic Seed & Supplies
Get Organic Gardening Products Herewww.dirtworks.net
The Study of KnowledgeScientology is knowing yourself &
the world. It's understanding life.Scientology.org/What_Is_Scientology

Cus D'Amato, Tyson's quirky boxing sage, prepared his rage-filled enfant terrible in the 1980s for potentially wilting public moments like this. Now 45, the mercurial former heavyweight champion realizes that a newly domesticated life and debut of his one-man act next month —Mike Tyson: Undisputed Truth, Live on Stage— might be his last chance to get it right.

Looking decidedly un-Tysonesque with left hand elegantly tucked in coat pocket, the vanquished "Baddest Man on the Planet'' has stashed his perceived aura of menace for an air of dashing sophistication. Tyson is undeniably dapper in an ivory jacket, white polka-dot shirt and polished loafers. His shaved skull is powdered. A gold wedding band glints in the spotlight.

PHOTOS: Mike Tyson's life in pictures
MORE: Sampler of Tyson's chat with USA TODAY
STORY: Kiki Tyson on her husband Mike

On cue, Tyson unnaturally projects his voice, instantly distinguishable by that soft, incongruous lisp.

"I know what you are probably thinking,'' he says during rehearsal for the April 13-18 show. "What the hell is he going to do? To be honest, I wonder, too.

"Life is great. I can't complain. I have come full circle. As you may remember, I am the guy who used to knock out (expletive) in 30 seconds. I want to tell my story so you can get a better understanding of me.''

Tyson is enjoying a renaissance period with the public's enduring fascination, one launched after his surprisingly successful cameo in The Hangover three years ago. He played himself (and, yes, he really did own white Bengal tigers). Tyson, however, seems possessed by a lurking dread that any rejuvenated popularity might trigger another precipitous downfall.

"The brighter my light,'' he tells USA TODAY, "the darker my shadow.''

After decades of decadence, three marriages and bouts with alcohol and illegal drugs that landed him in rehab three times, Tyson still has demons to slay. He looks better — down 130 pounds to 235 — and often is the engaging, lighthearted child-like figure of yesteryear. At other moments, he seems weary and wary, occasionally sounding like the saddest man on earth.

At times like those, he says he plays devil's advocate with himself as the small voice of big insecurities whispers: "These people don't know you. You need to be beaten in a dungeon. You need to be in a prison in a little (expletive) cell. You think you have me fooled but you don't. I know what you are waiting for. That's why you're not going out or partyin.' You're waitin' to get powerful so you can be an animal again.''

His latest challenge is about personal redemption — and enrichment after years of reckless living triggered a massive financial hangover. The latest attempt at re-branding Tyson's image is more pragmatic than artistic. In recent years, his income mostly has been limited to autograph shows and one-off appearances.

A surprising 'Hangover'

The father of six, Tyson — who grossed more than $300 million from 1985-2005 — had only $7,000 in his bank account in 2007, says wife, Kiki, 35. The daughter of a Muslim cleric from Philadelphia, they met Tyson when she was 18. They dated on and off until reuniting in '07. Because they were both on probation — Tyson for a cocaine-related incident and Kiki for a federal embezzlement conviction — they were not permitted to live together.

In 2008, Kiki served a six-month sentence while pregnant with the couple's first child.
Tyson in the ring

Born: June 30, 1966, Brooklyn, N.Y.

Career record: 50-6 (44 knockouts). He retired after failing to answer the sixth-round bell vs. Kevin McBride in Washington, D.C., in June 2005.

Nov. 22, 1986: Tyson became the youngest heavyweight champion when he knocked out Trevor Berbick on Nov. 22, 1986 in the second round: 20 years, four months and 22 daysold. He won his first 19 fights by knockout.

Feb. 11, 1990: Five of Tyson’s six losses were by knockouts, including his first, a stunning 10th-round KO in February 1990 to at the fists of James “Buster” Douglas in Tokyo. Tyson was a 42-1 favorite going into the fight.

June 28, 1997: Earned his biggest purse — $30 million — Tyson earned more than $300 million during his boxing career, yet declared bankruptcy in 2003. His biggest purse: $30 million for his second fight with Evander Holyfield June 28, 1997. Tyson earned more than $300 million during his boxing career, yet declared bankruptcy in 2003.

Titles: He won the WBC belt in 1986, and added the WBA and IBF titles in 1987. He successfully defended all three titles six times before losing to Douglas in 1990. After he got out of prison, he regained the WBC title from Frank Bruno on March 16, 1996, won the WBA title from Bruce Seldon in September 1996 then lost it in his first fight with Holyfield on Nov. 9, 1996. It was his last title held.

USA TODAY research

The Tysons married in 2009 after he filmed The Hangover. A quick study in the ring during his halcyon days, Tyson told reporters after the film won a Golden Globe that "it feels as if I won the heavyweight championship of the world again.'' He says he was shocked by the favorable reaction.

"I was still withdrawing (from cocaine) a little bit,'' he says. "As soon as I finished the film and got paid, I told my agent, 'This movie is gonna stink!' Then I come out of a restaurant and a bunch of kids are (asking me) for an autograph. This was during a really down period of my life — fans were scared to shoot me (for a photograph) from three blocks away let alone get up close and personal.''

His peers are not so reticent.

"I have seen celebrities get stupid when they are around Mike,'' Kiki says.

A quarter of a century past his primordial prime, the Hall of Fame boxer sports a paunch as he hopes to deliver a new entertainment punch in the hotel-casino's intimate 740-seat theater. The ambitious goal: Take his new show-biz act worldwide.

Tyson vows the 80-minute show will be raw, revealing and poignant. He will appear in the same Vegas showroom that currently features magician David Copperfield. Tyson must conjure up his own illusion of sorts, convincing the public to pay $100 a ticket to gaze at what largely has been a disappearing act for years.

The collaborative effort between Kiki and Hollywood playwright-director Randy Johnson is an experiment to see if her husband can develop sustained performing chops. His recent video spoof of former Presidential candidate Herman Cain generated more than a million hits on FunnyOrDie.com.

Working a live audience will be a quantum leap for Tyson, who has appeared on stage throughout Europe and Asia for limited meet-and-greet appearances. On a recent afternoon, he stood inside the Hollywood Theater wearing a "My Style is Impetuous'' T-shirt, jeans, tennis shoes and glasses. Gray stubble flecked his scarred face.

Tyson worked on his stage presence, timing and inflection, at times struggling. Missing was his wingman, the piano player, plus other enhancements, including music and video.
USA TODAY Sports on Twitter!

To get the latest sports news from USA TODAY, including game results, columns and features, follow us on Twitter at @USATODAYSports.

"This is a total reinvention of Mike Tyson — he is a born entertainer,'' says Johnson, who has created, produced or written shows involving subjects from Elvis and Janis Joplin to Pope Benedict XVI's 2008 appearance in New York. "You cannot have gone through what he has been through and not emerged with a sense of humor and humanity. I don't think the public 'gets' Mike Tyson. At the end of each evening, they will know the (real) Mike Tyson. He is pure theater.''

Johnson predicts Tyson's act eventually will tour the world: "I am hoping to have a run on Broadway and the West End of London. I think we can play every legitimate theater in the world.''

'Be cool at all times'

If any former athlete could withstand the rigors and pressures of a solitary act, it might be Tyson.

As a 13-year-old juvenile delinquent, Tyson was shipped to a home for incorrigible youth in upstate New York. D'Amato, the stern, paranoid-driven trainer-manager, programmed him into a robotic, irresistible force. Until, that is, Buster Douglas dispatched the ring tyrant with a shocking 10th-round knockout in 1990 in Tokyo. D'Amato died before Tyson became champion.

"Cus believed nothing could faze your emotions … you're to be cool at all times,'' Tyson says. "That is what his definition of a true professional was. He said discipline was doing something you hate to do, but doing it like you love it.''

Tyson appears to have an affinity for entertaining America, even if he sometimes leaves us cringing.

Sensing his seemingly indestructible shelf life after The Hangover— a role he says he did to supply an illegal drug habit — Tyson borrowed a concept after attending Chazz Palminteri's stage version of A Bronx Tale at the Venetian Hotel and Casino in 2010. The veteran actor regaled audiences with stories of a thorny childhood in New York and the unforgettable characters he encountered.

"It was inspiring,'' Tyson says. "I thought, 'I could do that.' ''

To ease opening-night jitters, Tyson plans to be himself: amusing, vulgar, in-your-face honest. He will salute, and skewer, people who have impacted his turbulent life the most. Among them:

•His mother, Southern-born Lorna Mae Tyson, and Curly Kirkpatrick, a small-time New York pimp-gambler who Lorna Mae told her son was his biological father. At 38, Tyson discovered, to his dismay, that his birth certificate listed Jamaican-born Purcell Tyson.

"I desperately wanted to be the son of a pimp because that was a big status (symbol) in my neighborhood,'' Tyson says. "Curly was a fast-talkin' and cool-dressin' (dude) who changed the path of my mother's life. Before long, she was caught up in the street life. She drank to kill the pain. My mother was an addict; that's why I have this addictive personality. When I drank, I drank like she did. I got caught in the gunfire . . . collateral damage.''

•Actress Robin Givens is another target. Their stormy, tabloid-sensation marriage ended in 1989 after one year but Tyson reveals the breakup did not end the relationship. He says the couple remained sexually intimate — until he bumped into Givens and a fledgling actor named Brad Pitt emerging from a car at her Los Angeles apartment.

In his script, Tyson jabs his ex-wife: "After she hears about this show, she is going to use it as a way to re-launch her career — the same way she has unsuccessfully done for the past 20 years.''

•In private, Tyson saves his best haymaker for Don King, his former promoter.

The two had a tempestuous business partnership that ended bitterly when Tyson sued the former Cleveland numbers racketeer for $100 million in 2003. Tyson claimed King swindled him after he emerged from prison in 1995 following a rape conviction for which he served three years. Tyson maintains his innocence.

They settled out of court for millions in 2004 when Tyson was $38 million in debt, including $18 million owed the IRS. He is fulfilling his tax obligation, Kiki says.

"Everyone was scared of Don — (including former champions) Larry Holmes and Muhammad Ali,'' Tyson says. "I said to (King), 'What? They're scared of you?' I used to whack him — pow! When I look at him now, he looks like a pathetic old man . . . nothing but creepy. He reminds me of someone that the devil is finished with.''

'I am a sick guy'

With that summation, Tyson pauses and wags his head in exaggerated mock-shame.

"Man, my life is sick,'' he says with a laugh. "I am a sick guy.''

Indeed. A few years ago, Tyson left an awards ceremony in a drug-and-booze haze when police in Los Angeles stopped his vehicle, he says.

"I'm doing so much coke and alcohol and they saw I was drivin' crazy,'' he recalls. "They tell me to pull over on the sidewalk. I am so high that I drive on the sidewalk — boom. The cops see it is Mike Tyson; they think it's awesome. I have the audacity to say, 'I'm going to a dope house, do you know where this address is'?

"Next thing I know, they are (leading) me to the party. When we got there, the cops tell my friends, 'Make sure Mr. Tyson gets home OK.' ''

Tyson howls at the thought then quickly turns somber.

"I don't know if I'm afraid to (die alone) — or I am just afraid of not getting it right,'' he says. "I wanted to be that slick hustler in life. Then I wanted to be an entertaining guy. Now I want to be a respectable husband and try to be a decent father. I have a lot a lot of making up to do.''

He recently spoke to a mesmerized Nevada-Las Vegas men's basketball squad after practice. Tyson's message was inspirational, stressing dedication, discipline and "respect for each other.'' He choked up several times, saying, "I really had to learn in life.''

"I realized that if you are not humble in this world, this world will thrust humbleness upon you,'' he told the team.

Tyson's once-scandalous life seems tinged with regret but his self-awareness is palpable as he attempts to achieve a measure of equilibrium with a more frugal, sedate family lifestyle. The Tysons live with 3-year-old daughter, Milan, and 14-month-old son, Morocco, in an exclusive gated community 20 minutes outside the gambling mecca.

Tyson does not take such parental gifts for granted. Three years ago, 4-year-old daughter Exodus died from a treadmill accident.

"I'm really grateful for where I am in my life right now,'' he says. "I don't know if it's Cus D'Amato in me (but) I just always want more. I want more. Success and I have such a complex relationship.''

Jul 24, 2005
damn

Sky Sports have rejected a Haye – Klitschko PPV event
March 30th, 2012

By Dallan O’Donnell: According to an article on Telegraph.co.uk, Sky Sports have rejected an offer from Bernd Boente the manager of the Klitschko brothers, for a PPV fight with former World Boxing Association (WBA) champion David Haye and current WBC champion Vitali Klitschko in June.

Sky have good reason to do so, when Haye fought Wladimir Klitschko he flopped, barely throwing a punch in Klitschko’s direction. And who can forget the Haye – Harrison PPV farce. Nothing more needs to be said on that subject. And now to the Klitschko’s, neither, at the best of times are overly interesting to watch although I do believe Vitali is the better fighter, a PPV clash with Haye makes no sense to sky.

They already have a tarnished reputation with fight fans and are losing all the big clashes to Frank Warrens channel, Box Nation. Sky only has a handful of worthwhile fighters left to watch (Kell Brook and Carl Froch) Haye won’t fight Vitali this year. May I remind you he is still officially retired and after a spat with Dereck Chisora, he may find it difficult to be licensed again. Frank Warren however expects Haye to fight Chisora, this despite the fact that Chisora was stripped of his license and banned by the BBBOFC. The latest news on Chisora is that he may try to be licensed in Russia. Warren has apparently been in contact with Haye over a possible fight to which Haye was apparently interested. Of course, he would be, an easy pay day against an over-hyped Dereck Chisora who couldn’t beat Tyson Fury? Surely it won’t be sanctioned. This fight would bring shame on British Boxing and a new low for the Heavyweight division

Jul 24, 2005
Amir Khan/Kell Brook Engage In War Of Words Via Twitter; Khan Says “I’ll Never, Ever Fight Him Now”

By James Slater: In yet more Twitter feuding between two top name boxers, Amir Khan and the unbeaten Kell Brook have been exchanging insults on the platform. Khan has been so angered by the comments of Brook and his promoter Eddie Hearn (Brook saying he will KO Khan and “make him do that silly dance again”) that he has vowed to “never box him now.”

For a while now, Team-Brook have been calling out Khan, the former WBA/IBF 140-pound champ - with Hearn and “The Special One” both declaring a destruction of Khan if the fight ever happens. The British public would like to see the fight, but Khan has unfinished business against Lamont Peterson to attend to. Khan has basically told Brook he is not in any way on his radar.

Khan, who started off by reminding everyone that, A: he and Brook fight in different weight classes, and, B: Brook has not fought anyone in his class yet, went on to say:

“Kell Brook calling me a queen then begs me to give him a payday. For that quote, talk like a man instead of talking like a queer. I promise because of all his and Hearns bullshit - I will never give him a shot. Kell Brook doesn’t deserve to the fight the king, ever. I’ll never box him now. Please Kell Brook grow a dick. Eddie Hearn n Sky promising you Khan fight. I’m promising u now it ain’t gonna happen ever.

“I’m after the big boys ….. Peterson, Marquez, Ortiz, Alexander, Mayweather all great fighters, Brook got along way to go, ain’t fought nobody.”

Khan sure sounds steamed! Of course, it’s common practice for an up-and-coming, emerging star of a talent to call out a bigger, more proven name. Brook is simply playing the game. Khan, though, does have bigger fish to fry; at least for now (things could change if Khan loses to Peterson for a second time). The word from Richard Schaefer is that if Khan can get revenge over Lamont Peterson on May 19th, he could bag that mega-fight with “Money” Mayweather next summer. With that kind of big deal on his mind, it’s little wonder Khan is not even thinking about Brook.

At least he wasn’t until earlier today, when he let loose with a tirade of insults, promises and vows. You can write it down: Amir Khan Vs. Kell Brook will never happen!

Jul 24, 2005
Arthur Abraham: “It’s impossible for me to make 160, so that’s why my focus is now at super middleweight”

by Geoffrey Ciani (Exclusive Interview by Jenna J & Geoffrey Ciani) - This week’s edition of On the Ropes Boxing Radio featured an exclusive interview with former IBF middleweight world champion Arthur Abraham (33-3, 27 KOs) who faces Piotr Wilczewski (30-2, 10 KOs) today in Germany. Abraham spoke about his fight and also touched on his future plans. Additionally he provided some opinions regarding the current boxing landscape, including the rematch between Bernard Hopkins and Chad Dawson, the upcoming fight between Lucian Bute and Carl Froch, Mikkel Kessler’s move to light heavyweight, and more! Here is what Abraham had to say:

Regarding his upcoming fight against Piotr Wilczewski:

“Well it’s going to be a tough fight. My opponent is a former European champion, but we’ve trained very hard, and we’re very optimistic, and we expect to win.”

His views on what a victory against Wilczewski will do for him at this stage in his career:

“Well it’s my goal to be world champion again by the end of the year. That is the plan and that’s why I’m boxing on Saturday, because it’s part of my plan to be world champion again by the end of the year.”

Regarding whether he is hoping to win a title in the 160 or 168 pound weight class:

“We made the decision that I’d stay at super middleweight and I will not fight at middleweight again.”

On how he has been able to cope with overcoming struggles he has had since his victory over Jermain Taylor:

“Well it was a big experience from me and I have learned my lesson from it, and the future I shall do something better.”

His views on what went wrong in his fights with Andre Ward, Carl Froch, and Andre Dirrell:

“I made tactical mistakes.”

On how he believes he can correct those tactical mistakes going forward:

“I can do it with my training, with my diligence, and together with my coach.”

His views on what is most important for him to be successful against Wilczewski:

“Well the most important thing is winning, and there is nothing that is more important than that. So winning is actually the key.”

His views on middleweight champion Sergio Martinez and his recent victory over Matthew Macklin:

“Yeah I saw the fight, and he’s a very strong and very good fighter. Of course I follow all the things at middleweight, but not as closely anymore because I cannot make the weight. It’s impossible for me to make 160, so that’s why my focus is now at super middleweight.”

Regarding whether he would still have any interest in facing Kelly Pavlik if the opportunity arose:

“Yes, if there is a good offer why not? I don’t have a problem with that fight.”

His views on whether Andre Ward or Lucian Bute is currently the best in the super middleweight division:

“Andre Ward.”

On whether he believes Bute belongs in the conversation regarding the best super middleweight in the world:

“Yes 100% he’s also a part of this discussion.”

His views on how the upcoming fight between Bute and Carl Froch will unfold:

“Bute will win.”

On how many fights he sees himself being away from another title shot:

“One or two fights.”

His views on whether Mikkel Kessler can be successful in the 175 pound weight class:

“Yeah! Why not? He’s very experienced and he’s proven with his past fights that he’s a great boxer. So I think he can be very successful at light heavyweight as well.”

His views on the upcoming rematch between Bernard Hopkins and Chad Dawson:

“I like Hopkins a lot. For me he’s one of the best boxers and one of the most clever boxers out there. So I really like him and I think he will win.”

His official prediction for his fight against Piotr Wilczewski:

“A victory, that’s all I can promise. That’s all.”

Jul 24, 2005
De La Hoya: Linares needs a new trainer; he needs someone to teach him defense
April 1st, 2012

By Chris Williams: Lightweight contender Jorge Linares (31-3, 20 Ko’s) suffered his 2nd consecutive knockout loss, this time to the big hitting Sergio Thompson (22-2, 20 KO’s) last night n a WBC lightweight title eliminator bout at the Oasis Hotel Complex in Cancun, Mexico. Linares was knocked down from a hard combination from Thompson in the 2nd round and the fight was halted after the knockdown due to a cut Linares’ suffered over his left eye.

The stoppage really saved Linares more embarrassment and another likely beating because Thompson was really teeing off on him before the knockdown. Linares was battered by Antonio DeMarco last October in an 11th round TKO.

Oscar De La Hoya, Linares’ promoter, thinks that Linares needs a new train. In that case, Freddie Roach will have to go because he’s the one training him now.

De La Hoya said on his twitter today “He needs a new trainer. He has so much natural ability but has no defense. He needs a new trainer someone that is going to pay attention to his defense! He’s [Roach] too busy and I was told he didn’t train for this one…If you don’t get hit you can’t get knocked out…look at his natural ability. If he had defense he would be untouchable.”

Well there it is. It looks like De La Hoya wants Linares to dump Roach and find someone that can teach Linares some defense. I’d suggest Floyd Mayweather Sr. or maybe Pernell Whitaker, someone like that. Mayweather Sr. would be a good starting point.

Roach is excellent at teaching offense I hear, but some boxing fans think he’s not good at training fighters how to defend themselves. His fighter Amir Khan was beaten recently and now Linares. Things aren’t going well for some of Roach’s best fighters. Manny Pacquiao dodged a bullet in his questionable win over Juan Manuel Marquez last November and Roach’s #2 fighter WBC middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. is incredibly easy to hit.