Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 24, 2005
How will Arum promote Bradley – Pacquiao fight?
February 22nd, 2012

By John F. McKenna (McJack): It is clear that Top Rank CEO Bob Arum has his work cut out for him in promoting the championship match between undefeated WBO light welterweight champion Timothy Bradley (28-0-1 NC, 12 KO’s) and Filipino icon WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao (54-3-2, 38 KO’s).

Bradley was not Pacquiao’s first choice as an opponent for his next fight. Manny’s first choice of course would have been undefeated superstar WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. (42-0, 26 KO’s). Neither was Bradley the 2nd choice for Manny. “Pacman’s” 2nd choice clearly would have been WBA light middleweight champion Miguel Cotto (37-2, 30 KO’s). Cotto is very popular in the Puerto Rican community and has a huge fan base there.

Bradley, although a good fighter, is not known to have huge drawing power. It addition, Bradley is a light welterweight and will be moving up to the welterweight ranks for the match with Pacquiao. Even though “Desert Storm” is already physically close to the size of Manny, the perception of many boxing fans is that he is a smaller fighter than Pacquao.

The Top Rank CEO is good at what he does and will have to pull a rabbit or two out of the hat to promote Bradley as a viable opponent for “Pacman”. Bradley is not always perceived by boxing fans as being an entertaining fighter. His fight against Devon Alexander a year ago was heavily promoted by HBO and wound up being a major disappointment.

So how does “Uncle” Bob go about promoting Bradley? In May 2010 both Pacquiao and trainer Freddie Roach had to be persuaded by Arum to accept the badly faded 39 year old Shane Mosley as an opponent. Arum pulled out all the stops and by fight night he had convinced boxing fans that Mosley really had a shot at defeating Pacquiao. The fight wound up doing 1.3 million Pay Per View (PPV) buys.

Arum will no doubt emphasize that at 28 years old, Bradley is undefeated and in his prime. Arum will also elaborate on how one sided Timothy’s victory over Lamont Peterson was, the same Peterson who relieved Amir Khan of his WBA/IBF title belts in December.

In essence what Arum will be doing is building up the chances of Bradley against his #1 cash cow, Manny Pacquiao. Only time will tell if Arum is as successful as he was in promoting Mosley in May 2010.

Jul 24, 2005
Dawson: I’m going to KO Hopkins in the 6th round
February 22nd, 2012

By Dan Ambrose: Former two time WBC light heavyweight champion Chad Dawson (30-1, 17 KO’s) figures to have little trouble taking 47-year-old Bernard Hopkins (52-5-2, 32 KO’s) out on April 28th to capture his World Boxing Council title if Hopkins shows up for the fight. Dawson and Hopkins fought to a 2nd round no contest last October in a fight in which Hopkins fell on top of Dawson’s back after missing a punch and was then lifted up and dropped by Dawson. During the fall, Hopkins injured his left shoulder and couldn’t continue.

The referee made a decision to rule it a 2nd round TKO, which was later overturned by the WBC and changed to a no contest. Dawson and Hopkins will once again be fighting in their “Once and for all” fight on HBO at the Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, New Jersey.

Dawson told RingTV “I feel like those two rounds [in the previous fight] were enough to tell me that I can beat him…If it happens that Bernard Hopkins comes to fight, then it’s going to be Chad Dawson, sixth round knockout.”

I do see Dawson winning this fight based on how much stronger, larger and faster he looked compared to Hopkins the last time they fought. However, I don’t agree that Dawson will be able to KO Hopkins. That won’t likely happen unless Hopkins does a flop and the referee doesn’t buy it and tries to get him to get back to his feet but he can’t or won’t. That’s the only way I can see Dawson knocking Hopkins out and it’s definitely possible because Hopkins hit the deck the last time he fought.

With Dawson, he’s going to have to be extra careful that he doesn’t accidentally bump, push or land anything low or to the back of Hopkins head, because we could see Hopkins hit the deck from one of those things and the fight stopped right there. If things are going bad for Hopkins, I see him going down from the slightest bit of contact and staying down for one of those injury stoppages. I personally didn’t believe that Hopkins was hurt the last time they fought. It looked like he was acting to me. I’ve seen Hopkins in deck for this and that in fights against Joe Calzaghe and Roy Jones Jr., and I just don’t buy that he’s hurt when he goes down. It just looks like he’s trying to get a rest break, a disqualification victory or points taken off from his opponent.

Jul 24, 2005
Pacquiao concerned with getting headbutted by Bradley; will be training two extra weeks
February 22nd, 2012

By Chris Williams: WBO welterweight champ Manny Pacquiao is so concerned about getting possibly headbutted in his June 9th fight against fellow Top Rank fighter Timothy Bradley that he plans on training 10 weeks for the fight instead of his usual 8 weeks.

Pacquiao said this about his fight with Bradley as quoted by examiner.com: “Timothy Bradley is undefeated and my concern is a head butt. I have to prepare for that and watch carefully and study to see what I am going to do to keep away from head butt. I need to train hard, at least ten weeks for this fight. It will be good for me to gain muscle…that’s why I need to train ten weeks for this fight.”

Here’s my take: If Pacquiao is worried about fighting Bradley then why didn’t he open his yap and tell his promoter Bob Arum that he wanted nothing to do with Bradley? Did Pacquiao ever thing about speaking up about it? Well, he should have because if he’s going to be worrying about getting cut to ribbons by an occasional headbutt then he shouldn’t be fighting the guy. Headbutts are part of the game and Bradley unfortunately sometimes connects with a few every now and then. But if Pacquiao is going to be sweating bullets over facing him then he should have spoke up and told Arum he wanted another one of his specials, someone from his stable that’ll be there for him to hit on all night long.

Bradley has some skills and he’s not going to drop to all fours like a dog and take it from the Filipino. He’s going to be hitting him with everything but the kitchen sink in this fight, and that likely means an occasional beauty of a headbutt and a mean elbow. Pacquiao will probably have to taste his own blood in this fight, but come one, he’s making like $25 million. What does he expect for that kind of cash? He’s going to have to taste blood and pain to earn that kind of green. Pacquiao may even get his lips and nose busted in this fight, but that’s part of it when you face Bradley. like I said, Pacquiao’s time to speak up was before the fight was announced. It’s too late to cry about it now because he’s stuck with it and is just going to have to somehow take his pain like a man.

Jul 24, 2005
Haye could face FIVE years in prison as German police wait to speak to brawler

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/bo...lice-wait-question-brawler.html#ixzz1nEonAj2u
German detectives must sit and wait for up to a fortnight as their pursuit of David Haye is held up by red tape following Saturday's brawl in Munich.

Haye flew off to 'warmer climates' - Las Vegas - on Tuesday in good spirits despite the fact he could face up to five years in a German prison if found guilty of 'dangerous assault' during the chaotic clash with Dereck Chisora, who could in theory be jailed for two years himself.
Viva Las Vegas: David Haye pictured with a pal after arriving in the US

Viva Las Vegas: David Haye pictured with a pal after arriving in the US

However, both sentences would be extreme scenarios and any action is more likely to be in the form of strong financial penalties.

Munich Police have revealed it could take up to two weeks to get hold of Haye as they look to speak to him in connection with the incident.
Jetting off: David Haye jokes with his entourage at Heathrow before departing for the US

Jetting off: David Haye jokes with his entourage at Heathrow before departing for the US
'Party time': Haye walks through Heathrow airport

'Party time': Haye walks through Heathrow airport

He had been keeping a low profile but arrived at Heathrow Airport on Tuesday afternoon before boarding a BA flight and writing on Twitter: 'Jetting off to warmer climates. Its PARTY TIME!'

Haye then posted a picture on social networking site Twitter of himself in a first-class aeroplane seat.

A Munich Police spokesman confirmed this week they would enlist the help of British colleagues at Scotland Yard to track down Haye but it is believed such a bureaucratic process could take up to a fortnight.

Chisora was arrested, questioned and released on Sunday, having grappled with Haye and vowed to 'shoot' his rival during their confrontation, which followed his WBC heavyweight title loss to Vitali Klitschko.

Haye, who punched Chisora with a fist clutching a glass bottle and then seemed to hit Chisora's trainer Don Charles with a camera tripod, fled immediately and headed straight for the airport with manager Adam Booth.
Setting off: Haye relaxes on in his first class seat ahead of take off to 'warmer climates'

Setting off: Haye relaxes on in his first class seat ahead of take off to 'warmer climates'

Booth had suffered a nasty cut to the head, seemingly from accidentally getting in the way of Haye's tripod.

A German police spokesman said: 'We're going to ask the British to help us but this is not a quick process. We have to go through the right channels, send letters, et cetera.

'We don't expect something to happen for around two weeks. It is not a serious charge, like murder, it is just a case involving two famous people.'
Night of shame: Haye and Dereck Chisora came to blows in Munich

Night of shame: Haye and Dereck Chisora came to blows in Munich

Booth reiterated that former world champion Haye has no intention of meeting Chisora in the ring.

'David is still retired, he has no plans to fight again,' Booth told Radio Five Live.

'He's always said the only people he would come out (of retirement) to fight is one of the Klitschko brothers and what happened on Saturday night doesn't change that one bit.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/bo...lice-wait-question-brawler.html#ixzz1nEosWL5N

Jul 24, 2005
Dana White and Leonard Ellerbe Exchange Words

By Vitali Shaposhnikov: Just recently, UFC’s Dana White and Floyd Mayweather’s right hand man Leonard Ellerbe got into a little verbal conflict. They exchanged a few rude sentences, showing the obvious disrespect and dislike for each other.

In response to Floyd’s tweet regarding the NBA player Jeremy Lin (https://twitter.com/#!/FloydMayweather/status/169170084739289089), White said “Kobe Bryant doesn't get any praise? Michael Jordan doesn't get any praise? This goes on and on of guys who completely get praised for being great NBA basketball players.” (http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/02/22/12/ufcs-white-thrashes-floyd-comments-pacman-lin) “Not only can he (Lin) compete and make it in the NBA, the guy's tearing it up and he's breaking records, you knuckle head,” continued White.

“You said Manny Pacquiao should go and make some sushi somewhere. Sushi's from Japan, he's from the Philippines dummy, okay? Yes, Floyd, you're racist with the stuff that you said” said White, sustaining his rant.

Of course after having said all that, saying goodbye without mentioning Manny Pacquiao would seem awfully unusual: “Don't worry about all these other guys are doing. You shoot your big mouth off on Twitter. What you should worry about is getting in there and making the fight all boxing fans want to see,” finished White.

A response from team Mayweather should have been expected, and as anticipated, Leonard Ellerbe contacted Yahoo News with the following reaction: “(White) needs to shut the (expletive) up and mind his own business. (White needs to) stay in his own lane and keep on taking advantage of the UFC fighters, while underpaying them.” Ellerbe then joking threatened White in saying: “We may decide to give a free seminar to all of the UFC fighters on how the pay-per-view revenue should be distributed.”

(http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/02/23/12/floyds-adviser-tells-white-mind-his-own-business)

“I was talking to Floyd. We’re doing something amazing. We’re building a sport while you guys are destroying one,” fired back White via Yahoo News.

So now Floyd Mayweather Jr. is a racist, and White is the evil promoter stripping UFC fighters of their hard earned pay.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
It wasn't like B-Hop was gettin' whooped... at his age, anything can happen. B-Hop doesn't have a history of pulling stunts like this so give him the benefit of the doubt.

It's obvious B-Hop "couldn't" continue. He could get killed fighting with one arm, come on man.