Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 24, 2005
Bernard Hopkins: “You think Kelly Pavlik was running into trees and poles before he faced me? Don’t ya’ll understand that I destroy fighters? I destroy their souls, I destroy their minds, and I destroy their careers!”

by Geoffrey Ciani (Exclusive Interview by Jenna J & Geoffrey Ciani) - This week’s 156th edition of On the Ropes Boxing Radio featured an exclusive interview with reigning WBC light heavyweight champion Bernard “The Executioner” Hopkins (52-5-2, 32 KOs). This is part 2 of the 2 part interview transcript where Hopkins discusses a variety of topics providing his opinions on what it will take for him to retire, why he believes he is in position to once again shock the world, what boxing fans can expect in 2012, and the current Floyd Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao situation. Here is the rest of that interview transcript:

GEOFFREY CIANI: Okay Bernard. Speaking of that, one of the things fans seem fed up about on the same token is the fact that for years they have demanded that fight between Pacquiao and Mayweather. It looks like we have a slim chance that it could maybe happen May 5. What’s your take on that whole situation now? Fans are accusing this one of ducking that one and this or that. What’s your take on the whole thing?

BERNARD HOPKINS: Yeah! I thought I had a chance of scoring a girl about twenty years ago, and she just gave me a kiss and shut the door on my face!

CIANI: (laughs)

HOPKINS: Now let me tell you something. Whether the fight happens or not, I think at the end of the day the soap opera of it has kind of run its course. I think you’d agree with that?

CIANI: Yes.

HOPKINS: I think this year to be honest with you is a year, or maybe six months of this year—but I’m going to give it the benefit of the doubt. 2012 will determine whether this fight happens, because if it happens of course that’s what it is, but if we go deep into 2012 when we know the calendar is getting real short around November and nothing is announced months before that, because that’s how boxing works with dates, you can really look at about June or July. Now yeah, I know Floyd is supposed to go to jail in June. I don’t think he’s going to go. I really don’t. At the end of the day man, it’s like whether they fight, whether they don’t fight, if they fight, yes, that should become news. But I think right now you’re only going to get a certain mileage out of them whether they will or not.

I think the soap opera is really getting to the point where people are starting to think it’s at its peak now. I think right now it’s at one of its highest peak, where we got some value. We got some water dripping in the cup, but if that cup doesn’t eventually get full then they’re going to look at it a continued foreplay and no action! If they don’t announce that there is going to definitely be a fight between now and June—and I’m stretching that maybe a couple of months, but I’m going to give it the benefit of the doubt! That’s half of the year. It’s a rap! I think it just gets to the point man where it loses steam. Think about it! I mean at one time people were saying, and this is a point that I got to make. At one time people were saying hey man! Pacquiao and Floyd. I like Pacquiao. But now since he had that fight with Marquez, he’s starting to lose some swing votes. Again this is sort of like the primaries. We know who’s cutting out and we know who’s still in the race for President. Now some votes are swinging towards Money Mayweather! That’s the same thing that happens when you don’t fight in that ring. You start losing interest. One guy starts losing, or two guys start losing the luster of the hype and the climax of it.

You only could stay up high for so long before you go down. You heard the saying: What goes up, must come down! That goes for hype, that goes for success, that goes for everything, and I’m not talking about coming down 100% in a bad way. You’re just not the man no more! That goes for Pacquiao, that goes for me, that goes for Floyd, that goes for anyone—Ali, Ray Robinson, that goes for everybody! But you got to reach the top first and everyone doesn’t reach the top. I want them to fight May 5. I want them to fight May 5! Hey! They got plenty of time! Floyd Mayweather stays in shape. He don’t drink, don’t smoke, don’t eat candy—well he eats candy sometimes. (laughs) I have seen that on 24/7. But Pacquiao’s the same way! He’ll be in shape too! He eats right! He takes care of his body! I’ve been at the gym up there in LA, the Wild Card. Those guys man, they’re cut from a cloth of discipline and training like me! So they don’t go walking around at 200 pounds when they’re fighting at 147! They can fight by May 5!

Do the fight Arum! Do the fight Golden Boy, already! It’s got to happen, but it’s got to happen this year! Golden Boy wants to do the fight! Oscar, I talked to him! He wants to do the fight! He’s trying to get everybody! We want to do the fight! I tell people every day! They ask me! Are they going to fight or not? (laughs) I get a little bit of information, but I get enough to know that Golden Boy wants to do the fight, Mayweather wants to do the fight, Richard Schaefer is working constantly and moving forward wanting to make the fight! But you can’t make nobody fight, man! You can’t make a guy fight! Pacquiao I think wants to do the fight! But I could say one thing that my partner said. The difference between Golden Boy and any other promoter out there—we work for the fighters, the fighters don’t work for us! And you got fighters out there where the fighters work for the promoters. If they want that to change around, and they know who they are—oh, they know who they are! When your contract runs out, then come on over and we might talk to you!

CIANI: Bernard I want to go back to you for a minute here. After the Pascal rematch you were on top of the world, you made history, and it was a tough act to follow. In the next fight there was the disappointing ending with you and Chad Dawson that never reached its logical conclusion. It’s kind of like a big see-saw swing for you. Do you think that puts you in position to once again shock and exceed people’s expectations where there are a lot of people counting you out again?

HOPPKINS: Yes! Yes! Yes! It’s been like that! The Roy Jones fight, he’s out! He’s done! He should retire! You heard it! Pascal said, “I want to fight Hopkins”! Listen! Look, a lot of people ain’t fooled out there. You got a lot of reporters out there, they might not have liked me but they’ll say wait a minute! You give this guy a reason to prove us wrong, he’s got that reason now! This is Chad Dawson, and if Chad Dawson it is then yo! What he’s thinking! Now wait a minute! How many times has Bernard Hopkins been more successful in rematches? Oh yeah. You right. You right. Robert Allen, Antwon Echols, Jean Pascal. Okay the Jermain Taylor people are still talking about. I won that one. You’ve seen what happened to his career. You think Kelly Pavlik did that? Well he finished him off but he didn’t do that. Come on. Let’s keep it real. Why do you think Kelly Pavlik is running into trees and poles? You think Kelly Pavlik was running into trees and poles before he faced me? Don’t ya’ll understand that I destroy fighters? I destroy their souls, I destroy their minds, and I destroy their careers!

That’s what I do, and that’s why they make it hard for me. That’s why they try to make it hard for me to get that light. But I took it anyway! So listen, that’s what I do! They put me in a position where my straight up style, you put me in position to get in shape and let me show you again! Let me show you again! See that’s where I’ve got a track record ya’ll! I’m not just blowing smoke! Look at my record! Forget what I’m saying! I’m not telling you nothing that I don’t have a track record on! If you think that I don’t have a track record, go to the archives! You got the pages! Flip them! Now I have a meaning behind a meaning to say okay! If they think they’ve seen something where they think I’m done. If they think they’ve seen something, then let’s watch this!

JENNA J: Bernard let me ask you a question, and we just have a couple more left for you here. At this point in your career you now turned 47, you’re still proving people wrong. But when for you do you think you’ll reach that time where you say, “You know what? I’ve done all I can do. I’ve proven all I can prove. I’ve had enough”. When do you think that day will come to you? What will make you say that?

HOPKINS: When I don’t feel like I can compete and be the best in my division, and win fights without a struggle, and do what I’ve been doing in spite of my age. All of those things factor into play. Whether I want to take my body through the weeks and sometimes months of hard core training that I’m used to, but it’s still working. I ain’t the $6 million man. I have aches and pains, I get massages, I jump in the ice whirlpool bath sometimes, and I hop in the hot and I drop in the cold. So if anyone out there thinks that I’m not human, I am. So I’m one of those guys that I can’t look at a calendar, but I can tell you I can’t do that forever. I know that’s the obvious answer, but that’s an obvious situation. Until I see that I didn’t clear out any doubt, in anybody’s mind or even mine, my biggest motivation is—you can’t do this!

There will come a time where I can’t do everything that somebody says or I say I can do. Yes! I’ve witnessed that in my life. I can’t do everything! But one thing that I can do is fight my ass off. So I’m going to keep doing that until I feel in my heart that I can’t do it with a level of respect, and winning, and also be champion! When that time comes where I can’t win and I can’t win on the top level, and I can’t win in a top competition like I’ve been doing for years, then you got to let it go. Like Teddy Pendergrass said, it’s just another love TKO. So I will keep moving on and showing what old school boxing means in this new world of boxing. I’m going to show the world that the old school boxing in a young body that can survive in this world of athleticism in boxing is not because I’m that good! It’s not because I’m that lucky. It’s a combination of things and one of them is lifestyle, hit more than you get hit, reflexes, defense—look at Floyd Mayweather. Nobody had really seen Floyd Mayweather hurt until he fought Sugar Shane Mosley and he handled it well, surprisingly to me. You know I was on Shane’s side. I’m one of those guys I can’t be in denial of greatness. I’m a loyal guy! I don’t jump ship, but at the end of the day you got to give a person his props, and it takes a man to do that. A lot of people ain’t a man! They won’t do it in spite of! I witness in my own life and my own career! I proved people wrong so much they try to con me out of boxing! You don’t have anything to prove. How long can you do it? You’re 47! You already did everything! You already did this! Well what if I want to make history of breaking the Mongoose’s record. Mongoose had more defenses as light heavyweight. I’m not making up history. Just tell me he didn’t do it and I’ll retire tomorrow. But tell me he defended it at 40-something two times or three times and I got more reason to fight now.

You got to remember I’m not trying to get a title. I have a title! If you got the chicken, the fox will be there to try and get the chicken. Remember that ya’ll! When you got the chickens in the chicken coup you don’t have to go looking for the fox. They’re coming to get those chickens! I still got the WBC belt which is the oldest belt in boxing and I’m the oldest champion in boxing history. It works good. Think about it! I represent the oldest sanctioning body in the world around the oldest boxing champion’s waist in the world! I mean that just came on my mind right now! See I find these hooks like a rapper, like Rick Ross and Little Wayne. They got hooks, and if you listen to the song you’ll find they’ll be repeating those hooks. So that’s the hook of the song. You know there’s more than one hook, there’s a couple of hooks about what you’re saying about, or talking about, or rapping about. But I just came up with something. I got the oldest belt in boxing around the oldest fighter in boxing history’s waist! (laughs) Yeah. They’re going to try and kick me out and say oh, that was a TKO! Huh? (laughs) And they say the mob is still not in boxing, they just don’t wear hats and glasses anymore. Oh! They have a different way to skin you now. Hey! We’re not living in the 1930s or 1940s! It’s a little dressed up now! They got a little fancy! Same thing, different time, that’s all. Racism, same sh*t, different plan, it’s a different way of icing the cake. You get candles on it and you light the candle, oh! Free at last! Everything is great. No it ain’t. Just watch.

JENNA: Alright well Bernard I have one final question for you. You were talking a lot about the boxing world and everything going on. We’re in a brand new year, 2012. What can the fans expect, not just from you, but for the rest of the boxing scene this year?

HOPKINS: It’s really up to the fans, because see the fans are the best matchmakers in the world. It’s not what the fans should expect. It’s what the fans like the people that have the people—for the people, by the people. They are the fans. The fans have a magic wand in their living room. It’s called a remote control. And when it says $55 to buy bullsh*t they have the opportunity to say up! I’m going out to dance, or I’m going to go to the movies, or I’m going to watch UFC because they got better fights. So what are you talking about? What the fans should expect? It ain’t what the fans should expect because what they expect is what they’ve been getting! The fans have the power. I said it an hour ago. The fans have the power to become matchmakers in boxing, to force the power to be to put the fights that they want to spend their hard earned money on when they can do other things—buy bread, buy clothes, pay a light bill!

So let’s look at the fans like the play callers. If you want to get that person out of government what do you do? They vote him out! Okay. So now the fans should expect nothing from boxing because what they expect is what they didn’t get. They control what the industry would do for 2012, 2013, 2014, all the way up! The fans will know when the ratings go down. They will know when pay-per-views are low. They would know when they got a killer fighting a mouse. They would know when they got a prospect fighting a journeyman. So I just gave the blueprint. I just let the fans know that they had power. I just let the fans know, that they didn’t know at first, but now they know they got the power. If they go over to East Side Boxing and tune in to this they know that B-Hop said we got the power! So it’s up to them to use it. Now I took them to the well, but I can’t make them drink. I can’t!

JENNA: Alright well Bernard, it’s been a great pleasure as always having you once again on On the Ropes, and all you fans out there, you heard it from Bernard. You have the power to make these big fights out there, so wake up! But Bernard it was a great pleasure again having you on, and thank you again for your time, and we wish you all the best going forward in 2012.

HOPKINS: Thank you very much.

CIANI: Thank you very much, Bernard. Take care.

HOPKINS: Alright, thank you.

Jul 24, 2005
Mayweather vs. Pacquiao in November in Qatar, United Arab Emirates

By Michael Collins: Boxing fans wanting to see the big mega fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao will have to wait until at least November, according to fightnews.com. They’re reporting that a big money bout between Mayweather and Pacquiao will take place in November in Qatar, United Arab Emirates.

World Boxing Council (WBC) president Jose Sulaiman told fight news that Mayweather-Pacquiao will fight in November n Qatar, UAE, and this in turn will open up May 5th so that Mayweather and Miguel Cotto will fight. The advantages of Qatar are the big money offered for the fight, low taxes and large crowds. I myself hope that this doesn’t place over there because I had been hoping to see live.

This should make Pacquiao’s trainer Freddie Roach and promoter Bob Arum both happy, as they both want the Pacquiao-Mayweather fight to make as much money as possible and by putting the fight in a foreign country, it will maximize the amount of money that Arum, Paquiao, Mayweather can haul in for this fight. It’s a win-win for the participants.

As far as the benefit to Americans, none that I can think of unless your related to those guys. If you wanted to see the fight live, you’re going to have to pay a bundle of money to fly all the way over there and go through the headaches booking flights, hotels, dealing with customs and paying for it. If you live vicariously through people like Pacquiao and Mayweather, then you can be happy for them if the fight ends up in Qatar. I personally hate the idea of the fight possibly taking that far away, but I’m hoping they at least discount the fight on pay per view to give back to the fans who can't see it live. They won’t, of course. My guess is the Pacquiao-Mayweather fight will sell for $65 to $70 on PPV. I see it as a very expensive fight.

Jul 24, 2005
Pacquiao expected to fight Timothy Bradley on June 9th

By Michael Collins: WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao (54-3-2, 38 KO’s) is expected to be fighting WBO light welterweight Timothy Bradley (28-0, 12 KO’s) on June 9th. Bradley, 28, is pretty much the only one left of the five candidates that Pacquiao and his promoter Bob Arum were looking over for a fight in June.

Floyd Mayweather Jr. can’t fight in June because he starts his 90-daily jail term on June 1st; Juan Manuel Marquez appears to have never been seriously considered for Pacquiao, likely because of a combinations of Marquez being too dangerous and wanting more money than last time; Lamont Peterson isn’t well known and not one of Arum’s Top Rank fighters; Miguel Cotto isn’t interested in draining himself to fight at 147 and Pacquiao reportedly doesn’t want to fight at 150lbs, which is the weight that Cotto would be looking at fighting him.

That leaves on Bradley. What makes Bradley such a great pick is that he’s someone new, he fights for Top Rank, he’s not someone that will ask for a ton of money, and best of all, he’s not someone that will likely beat Pacquiao.

Arum obviously wants to keep the Pacquiao train on the tracks as long as possible and Bradley, 5’6”, isn’t big enough or strong enough to be a serious threat to Arum’s money fighter.

However, the way that Pacquiao has been looking in his last four fights, he could very well lose to Bradley because Pacquiao looks like he’s starting to slide ever so slightly. The legs aren’t there anymore; the movement isn’t there and he’s not fighting with the same energy as he did three or more years ago. He looks used up to me, and he's getting hit too cleanly. Ever since the Cotto fight, Pacquiao looks to be sliding rapidly downward. Getting hit hard by guys like Cotto, Joshua Clottey, Antonio Margarito and Shane Mosley obviously isn't good for your health.

Pacquiao is incredibly lucky he won his last fight against Marquez. I thought he should have lost the fight. I’m not surprised Marquez didn’t get the decision because he’s not as popular as Pacquiao but the fight definitely showed that the Filipino star is starting to decline.

Bradley still shouldn’t beat him. This will be a good matchmaking pick for Arum to keep the gravy flowing for a little while longer. Hopefully Pacquiao doesn’t go life and death with Bradley and force Arum to have to look for even softer opposition in the future to keep Pacquiao winning. In that case, we could see some really old lions trotted out for Pacquiao to shine against.

May 13, 2002
Seattle
www.socialistworld.net
Brandon Rios training, baiting Gamboa

“That’s the only reason I’m staying at 135, because I want to fight that dude,” Rios stated. “So, if he’s talking all that sh!t, back it up. If I’m talking sh!t, I’m going to back it up.”

Rios lost his title on the scales last month after weighing in at 135.6 pounds for his December 3rd bout with Manchester’s John Murray, a contest that Rios would win via 11th round TKO. While reports initially surfaced of a move up in weight, Rios is making an attempt to fight in the lightweight division a few more times and is now working with strength and conditioning coach Cecilio Flores, known best for his work with lineal middleweight champion Sergio Martinez.

May 13, 2002
Seattle
www.socialistworld.net

Team Gamboa: We Want To Fight Brandon Rios Next!

By Keith Idec

Now that negotiations have fallen apart for an HBO doubleheader that would’ve showcased them in separate bouts, Yuriorkis Gamboa is eager to fight Brandon Rios next.

Ahmet Oner, Gamboa’s co-promoter, is awaiting an offer from Top Rank Inc. to fight Rios in a lightweight battle that would require Gamboa to move up two weight classes.

“I want to go directly to Brandon Rios,” Oner told BoxingScene.com. “Top Rank is right now trying to bring something to Rios. I think both fighters want to fight. Now the economics must be done.”

Gamboa hopes the deal can be consummated quickly.

“It’s probably going to be a real, real good fight,” Gamboa said, “and the public’s going to love the fight.”

When asked why he thought this was the right fight for him at this point in his career, the confident Cuban said, “I never said that I could beat him. I’m going to give my best and get the victory.”

The rugged Rios predicted recently that he would eventually “catch” Gamboa later in their fight, after the faster, highly skilled Gamboa attempts to out-box him early in their fight. Gamboa didn’t offer a prediction, but the former featherweight champion said Rios is “not very technical, but he’s very tough and hard to fight. He’s a very good fighter.”

The 30-year-old Gamboa (21-0, 16 KOs) fought nine times at junior lightweight earlier in his career, but the 2004 Olympic gold medalist will be new to lightweight. The 5-foot-8 Rios (29-0-1, 22 KOs), of Oxnard, Calif., definitely will out-weigh him when they touch gloves, and is at least two inches taller than Gamboa.

“I’ve done that all my life,” Gamboa said of switching divisions. “I became a world champion doing it. I’ve been up and down in weight all my life. I can go up and I can come down. It doesn’t really matter.”

Oner isn’t concerned about moving up to challenge a larger man, either.

“I don’t want to talk too much,” Oner said, “but I believe in [Gamboa] and I think he will do the job. Brandon Rios is a big step. First we have to finish this step and then we’ll see what happens.”

May 13, 2002
Seattle
www.socialistworld.net
Rigondeaux blasting Donaire

Rigondeaux on Donaire: I Will KO The Top Rank Traitor!

By Peter Sciretta

WBA super bantamweight champion Guillermo Rigondeaux (9-0, 7KOs) has issued a response to an earlier article on BoxingScene.com, where Nonito Donaire (27-1, 18KOs) took a pass on facing the Cuban boxer at a later date. Donaire explained that he wants an exciting opponent who comes to trade punches, and not an opponent who will generate a boring match like Argentine veteran Omar Narvaez.

"If he doesn't want a Narvaez fight, I will agree to a 15-foot ring. This guy is not a real man, he's a traitor to Top Rank. Stop hiding behind your manager and your wife, I'm ready to fight in the summer. If Top Rank allows me to get a fight with this traitor, I will put him to sleep. After I get done with this traitor, he'll be shooting pictures permanently," Rigondeaux said.

Donaire returns on February 4th at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas. He faces Wilfedo Vazquez Jr. for the vacant WBO super bantamweight title.

Dec 9, 2005
His last fight was a first round knockout in Ireland against Casey. Missed that one huh?

The fight was great for Rigondeaux, but it did have some dull moments. Rigondeaux knocked down Ramos in the first round and he tried to finish him but the bell saved him. The next several rounds Ramos went into complete BITCH MODE and refused to throw any punches. Rigondeaux stood right in front of him, jabbing/pawing at him trying to force Ramos to make a move but Ramos simply wouldn't engage. Finally at round 6 Ramos was willing to engage a tad more and he paid for it big time, he got hurt with an uppercut to the head, Rigondeaux sensing he was hurt unleashed about 5-6 left hooks to the head which pinned Ramos into the corner and Rigondeaux finished him off with a beatufull body shot that KO'd him.

Ramos landed 15 total punches through 6 rounds lol. So yeah, watch the 1st round & the 6th round. Not much occurred between that.

Rigondeaux completely outclassed Ramos. I think he's ready for the big names. I'd love to see Donaire vs Rigondeaux sometime this year. I'd favor Rigondeaux to beat just about anyone at 122.

Damn, yeah I guess it was the last fight of his I saw.

Would love a Rigondeax-Donaire matchup, and I love that Rigo is talking shit! LOL

May 13, 2002
Seattle
www.socialistworld.net
yeah me too, I don't see it happening anytime soon though. Donaire and his own trainer Garcia have both said they don't want Rigondeaux, for various reasons. I guess it boils down to risk/reward. Donaire will fight Vazquez, then Arce, then maybe even someone like Rafa Marquez or Toshiaki Nishioka before moving up to 126. Rigondeaux, well, he's going to have a real tough time making noise since there really isn't any other big names he can fight at 122. His best bet is try to and get Toshiaki Nishioka, other than that it's slim pickings. There is Poonsawat Kratingdaenggym but he's a Thai fighter and HBO/Showtime simply don't give Thai fights any love unfortunately, so that's super unlikely. Who else is there? Steve Molitor? Maybe he can try to get one of the guys from 118 to move up but unlikely.

Jul 24, 2005
Mayweather-Cotto A Better Idea Than Pacquiao-Cotto II

By James Slater: It’s still far, far, far from a done deal yet, but strong rumours suggest Floyd Mayweather Junior could face Miguel Cotto on May 5th. The far more intriguing Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao fight looks to be dead in the water (again), and it looks like Pac-Man - unwilling to budge on his 50-50 purse split proposal with Mayweather - has persuaded Cotto to look Floyd’s way due to the Filipino superstar’s insistence that he fight no higher than 147-pounds.

Cotto, who had to boil down to 145 to fight Pacquiao in 2009, and is now a world champ up at 154, seems to have realised he cannot be competitive against Pac-Man as a welterweight. Against Mayweather, however, at a catch-weight of, say, 150-pounds, Cotto may feel as though he has a legit shot at taking “Money’s” O. Cotto’s people are currently in talks with Mayweather’s people, and Fightnews.com no less, have an article up asking if a fight between the two is near.

If we can’t see Mayweather-Pacquiao (until later this year - the new date being put forth now seems to be November, with an exotic local a possibility), Mayweather-Cotto isn’t a bad idea. Certainly far better than the notion of a weight-drained Cotto facing Pacquiao for a second time, Mayweather Vs. Cotto is a fight that will intrigue and interest many if it happens. We all remember back in the middle 2000s, when Mayweather and Cotto were in talks to fight. It never happened back then, so if the fight does go ahead on may 5th, there will be a sense of “better late than never.”

Cotto looked great last time out, in busting up and dominating arch-rival Antonio Margarito in a passionate rematch, and his sharpness and his sheer ring savvy would possibly give a 35-year-old Mayweather plenty to think about in the ring. No-one is saying Cotto will beat Floyd (no-one would pick Cotto to beat Pacquiao in a return either), but the fight, if it happens, will be competitive.

I’d be willing to bet Mayweather would not be able to stop Cotto. I’d also be willing to bet the Puerto Rican legend would win his share of rounds in the fight. A fascinating technical battle will unfold, in my opinion, if the two veteran stars clash. Maybe a Mayweather-Saul Alvarez match-up would have appealed to more fans, but Floyd has reportedly dismissed “Canelo” as an opponent. Robert Guerrero wanted the May 5th date, but he too has been brushed off by “Money.”

The biggest star seemingly available for Mayweather’s contracted date of May 5th at The MGM Grand in Las Vegas is Cotto. And though this particular match-up is no Mayweather-Pacquiao, it’s probably the second-best fight that could be made involving Money-May.

At least Mayweather will be facing a new test; which is far more appealing to the cash-paying fans than the idea of Pacquiao going over old ground. Besides, Pacquiao can now fight a young, hungry, 147-pound-tested challenger in the form of the unbeaten Tim Bradley, most likely in June. It might just be that we get two very good fights (Floyd Vs. Cotto, Manny Vs. Bradley) in place of one potentially great fight!

Jul 24, 2005
Mayweather vs. Pacquiao never happening
January 25th, 2012

By John F. McKenna (McJack): The long sought, much anticipated fight between undefeated superstar World Boxing Council (WBC) welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr (42-0, 26 KO’s) and Filipino icon WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquaio (54-3-2, 38 KO’s) may never happen.

Boxing fans have been bombarded by numerous boxing articles on a daily basis about the possibility of a Mega fight between Mayweather and Pacquiao happening for a number of years now. Yet, time after time the hopes of boxing fans worldwide have been dashed for a variety of reasons. The reality is that both the Mayweather and Pacquiao camps are to blame for the failure of the huge fight to come to fruition.

A couple of months ago Pacquiao made the mistake of saying that he would be willing to accept less than a 50/50 cut of the revenue for the super fight. Boxing fans thought it was a noble gesture for the eight division champion to concede such an important point before negotiations had even begun. The story was picked up by boxing sites all over the world. Of course Mayweather capitalized on Manny’s mistake. A few days ago when Floyd made his widely publicized phone call to Pacquiao allegedly in the hopes of making a breakthrough by going right to the source, he told Manny that there was no way that he would accept a 50/50 deal.

Pacquiao backed away from his previous statement that he was willing to take a smaller piece of the pie for the fight to happen. Of course Top Rank CEO Bob Arum would never agree to terms where Pacquiao would take less than a 50/50 cut. Manny was in the position where he painted himself into a corner because of his desire to see the fight with Mayweather happen. Mayweather had in effect outwitted the Pacquiao camp once again.

The Pacquiao camp is now in the position that if negotiations do happen, Mayweather will have appeared to have made a serious concession if he agrees to allow Manny to have a 50/50 cut of the revenue, which is what it should have been all along.

In addition Mayweather can use Manny’s refusal to accept a 50/50 deal as yet another excuse not to fight him. One can hardly blame Floyd for not exploiting the issue. After all he was just using Pacquiao’s own words to beat him over the head with.

The random drug testing issue is another case where the Pacquiao camp came out with conflicting and contradictory statements. Differing statements were coming out stating that Manny had accepted all the drug testing procedures that Mayweather was demanding. The statement would then be refuted by another “insider” on the Pacquiao team.

There is no doubt in my mind that Manny wants the Mayweather fight. After a sub par performance by Manny against Marquez it appears that Floyd has moved closer to wanting the fight. However, Mayweather may think that Manny’s performance in the Marquez fight was just an off night by the “Pacman” and that he should still be leery of the Filipino dynamo. Mayweather above all else does not want to lose his “0” and may worship that more than he does “Money”.

It is also my firm belief that if Bob Arum and Floyd Mayweather Jr. really wanted the Mega fight to happen it would already have happened. Both Arum and Mayweather are masters of making things look like the other guys fault when in reality they are both to blame for the Mayweather – Pacquiao fight not happening. The sands of time are running out. If the fight does not happen in the fall of 2012 in all probability it will never happen.

Jul 24, 2005
Berto says he’s ready for Ortiz

By Miguel Maravilla
Photos: Gene Blevins – Hoganphotos/Golden Boy Promotions

Andre Berto (28-1, 22KOs) is only two weeks from the rematch against “Vicious” Victor Ortiz (29-3-2, 22KOs). Berto continued his preparation Tuesday at the Ten Goose Boxing Gym in Van Nuys, California. As he will get the shot to redeem himself, after suffering the first defeat of his career against Ortiz in one of the best fights of 2011. Now Andre Berto, is ready for to redeem himself against Victor Ortiz come February 11 in a Welterweight showdown scheduled for 12 rounds at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

“Training camp has been pretty good for this fight the most important thing is to make sure my health is good,” Berto told Fightnews.com

Berto began preparing for the rematch in Winter Haven, Florida and relocated training camp to Southern California where he has been training at the Ten Goose Boxing Gym.

“I didn’t implement my game plan like it needed to be, physically I wasn’t where I needed to be,” Berto said on his conditioning.

To make sure that is not an issue in the rematch Berto acquired the services of strength and conditioning coach, Victor Conte after his loss to Ortiz. Conte the former BALCO founder has also been working with current Jr. Featherweight and former WBC /WBO Bantamweight Champion Nonito Donaire.

“Victor has pushed me very well in preparation I feel great with my strength and I am on target with my weight.”

After his loss to Ortiz, Berto moved on and returned to the ring in September taking on then IBF Welterweight champion Slovenia’s Jan Zaveck. Berto would win a tough fight by fifth round TKO, capturing his second world title and become the IBF Welterweight champion.

Acquiring the rematch was costly for Berto as he vacated the IBF Welterweight title to get the fight with Victor Ortiz.

“I expect the same Victor Ortiz I don’t think he can switch up and be versatile I think his natural attribute is to come forward and get you,” Berto said.

Interestingly Berto has brought in Middleweights Fernando Guerrero (22-1, 17KOs) and 2008 Bahamian Olympian Taureano Johnson (5-0, 5KOs) in preparation for this fight.

“I brought these two guys both are big southpaws that can punch and bring pressure,” Berto said.

Berto and Ortiz fought in a 2011 Fight of the Year Candidate, as both traded punches and knockdowns from the opening to final bell. With only two weeks to go Berto and many others anticipate a tough exciting fight as the first time around.

“I am in shape now and I have put in hard work in training camp. Fight night I am ready to go that’s it is going to be exciting I have an explosive style he has an explosive style,” Berto said.

May 13, 2002
Seattle
www.socialistworld.net
RING light heavyweight champ Bernard Hopkins will face Chad Dawson in a rematch on HBO on April 28 in Atlantic City

Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer informed RingTV.com on Wednesday.

Hopkins-Dawson II will take place at Boardwalk Hall, where the Philadelphia native has scored two of his biggest career victories.

"I believe that I've earned the right to close it out where I want to close it out, and that is Atlantic City," said Hopkins (52-5-2, 32 knockouts) during a Jan. 2 interview with RingTV.com.

"It's a stone's throw away from New York, it's a stone's throw away from Washington, D.C., it's a stone's throw away from Philadelphia and all of the local cities."

Hopkins was the perceived underdog before scoring unanimous decisions over former titleholder Antonio Tarver in his light heavyweight debut in 2006 and previously unbeaten then-undisputed middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik as 170-pounders in 2008.

"I've lived in Delaware since 1998, so I've got to assume that I've got fans in Delaware as well. I still have a condo right down in Philadelphia," said Hopkins.

"I've made history there with Antonio Tarver and against Kelly Pavlik, two fights where the experts had me losing at least by 5-to-1. When I fought Kelly Pavlik, it was a sellout. When I fought Antonio Tarver, it was a sellout. So I do well in Atlantic City."

Hopkins, who turned 47 on Jan. 15, returned to full-time training earlier this month following recovery from a left shoulder separation suffered during his controversial clash with Dawson (30-1, 17 KOs) last Oct. 15 at Staples Center in Los Angeles.

alt

Hopkins-Dawson was initially ruled to be a second-round TKO victory for Dawson after Hopkins was shoved to the canvas and deemed unfit to continue by referee Pat Russell.

Last month, however, the California State Athletic Commission officially ruled Hopkins-Dawson a no-contest, a move that came in the wake of the WBC's already having restored Hopkins as titleholder following a majority vote of board members who disagreed with Russell's call and ruled the fight a "technical draw."

Dawson's promoter, Gary Shaw, successfully argued for the return bout at the WBC's convention in Las Vegas in December.

Neither Shaw nor Dawson could be reached.

"Obviously, Gary and I were able to work out a deal and we didn't need to go to the purse bid. Gary and me work verty well together. We respect each other," said Schaefer.

"We know that we have the responsibility to our respective fighters to maximize the revenue as much as we can. That's the committment we have. We're working with HBO to try to finalize the deal with HBO. We're almost done."

In December of last year, Hopkins rose from two knockdowns during his draw with RING No. 1-rated light heavyweight Jean Pascal in the latter's native Canada before returning to Canada to dethrone Pascal as WBC beltholder by unanimous decision in May.

In victory over Pascal, Hopkins, became the oldest man to win a major title in boxing. Before facing Hopkins, Pascal had vanquished Dawson in defense of his WBC belt by 11th-round technical decision in August of last year.

alt

"This one is going to be at the Boardwalk Hall at the big venue in Atlantic City. Hopkins has had some of his biggest successess there in Atlantic City. He beat Kelly Pavlik and he beat Antonio Tarver," said Schaefer.

"In both of those fights, he went in as an underdog. I think tha he surprised a lot of people on both of those nights, and I think that he's going to surprise a lot of people again on April 28 when he takes on Chad Dawson again."

Schaefer said that he and Shaw are working on a co-feature that could match WBC lightweight titleholder Antonio DeMarco (26-2-1, 19 KOs) against former title challenger Michael Katsidis (28-5, 23 KOs).

"We're looking at it as a double-header. We're going to present a solid card. We're looking at another bout," said Schaefer. "One of them would be Antonio DeMarco against Michael Katsidis. We'll see if that can happen and we'll see what fights we can come up with."

Feb 3, 2006
Rigondeaux blasting Donaire

Rigondeaux on Donaire: I Will KO The Top Rank Traitor!

By Peter Sciretta

WBA super bantamweight champion Guillermo Rigondeaux (9-0, 7KOs) has issued a response to an earlier article on BoxingScene.com, where Nonito Donaire (27-1, 18KOs) took a pass on facing the Cuban boxer at a later date. Donaire explained that he wants an exciting opponent who comes to trade punches, and not an opponent who will generate a boring match like Argentine veteran Omar Narvaez.

"If he doesn't want a Narvaez fight, I will agree to a 15-foot ring. This guy is not a real man, he's a traitor to Top Rank. Stop hiding behind your manager and your wife, I'm ready to fight in the summer. If Top Rank allows me to get a fight with this traitor, I will put him to sleep. After I get done with this traitor, he'll be shooting pictures permanently," Rigondeaux said.

Donaire returns on February 4th at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas. He faces Wilfedo Vazquez Jr. for the vacant WBO super bantamweight title.
What did I tell you Top Rank boxers aways have excuses on why they can't fight a fighter with real boxing skills. Mr. #4 P4P Donaire is fighting a guy (Vazquez Jr) that got TKO'ed in his last big fight. I guess he's following the Manny last 4 years blueprint to stardom?

May 13, 2002
Seattle
www.socialistworld.net
I wouldn't say that but boxing is a business and it's about making money so I'm sure Jorge arce will be more attractive than rigondeax that's just boxing for u same reason Bernard Hopkins Chad Dawson and Pascal are fighting each other and not tavoris cloud or the black Russian, it's money

with that said I really hope it happens I think rigondeaux is the only guy at 122 that has a shot at beating donaire.

May 13, 2002
Seattle
www.socialistworld.net
sick. I don't know how many of you guys are hip to these two fighters but check them out they are both very good. sick fight of undefeateds. Hopefully the winner can get Pirog or Martinez.

Golovkin vs N'Dam Heading To Purse Bid on February 2
The World Boxing Association has ordered a purse bid for a middleweight championship fight between the organization's "regular" champion Gennady Golovkin (22-0, 19KOs) of Kazakhstan and interim-champion Hassan N'Dam N'jikam (26-0, 17KOs) of France. The purse bid will be held on Thursday, February 2, 11:00 am, at the offices of the World Boxing Association located in Panama. Gilberto Jesus Mendoza, the executive vice president and championship chairman, along with Aurelio Fiengo, the vice president of the committee, will be present at the purse bid.

Feb 3, 2006
I wouldn't say that but boxing is a business and it's about making money so I'm sure Jorge arce will be more attractive than rigondeax that's just boxing for u same reason Bernard Hopkins Chad Dawson and Pascal are fighting each other and not tavoris cloud or the black Russian, it's money

with that said I really hope it happens I think rigondeaux is the only guy at 122 that has a shot at beating donaire.
I thought the promoter's job was to sell the fight? I miss Don King he made all the good fights and knew how to sell them to the public. I'm sick of the top guys not fighting eachother and blame it on not making money. Donaire is not a PVP fighter or a high earner so the excuse of not making money is lame as fuck.

May 13, 2002
Seattle
www.socialistworld.net
I thought the promoter's job was to sell the fight? I miss Don King he made all the good fights and knew how to sell them to the public. I'm sick of the top guys not fighting eachother and blame it on not making money. Donaire is not a PVP fighter or a high earner so the excuse of not making money is lame as fuck.
I don't think bob arum knows how to promote these cuban fighters very well. Even if he did I don't think Rigondeaux will ever be a big star, just his style of fighting isn't for everyone.

Well, despite what you say Donaire is a pound 4 pound fighter (check any list on any website or magazine) and he's the biggest money maker from 118-122 by far. The entire showtime Bantamweight tournament for example, all four fighters, made less combined than one donaire fight. These lower weight fighters really don't make shit. Donaire is the one guy that does (not including Japanese fighters in Japan).

So from a business aspect I can see why they will try to put Donaire in with Jorge Arce next and maybe gamboa (if the Rios fight doesn't happen) rather than Rigondeaux who has 9 fights and hardly anyone knows.

I like Rigondeaux more than I like Donaire actually just saying, that's how the business works. Rigondeaux has to make more noise than beating Rico Ramos to get a shot at donaire.

That's why I brought up The black russian, Ismail Sillakh. He's ultra talented and guys like bernard hopkins, pascal, & dawson certainly aren't fighting him. He'd probably beat all three of those guys too. But like Rigondeaux, he needs to do a bit more to get to that level.