Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 16, 2008
Vitali up on the scorecards when the fight was stopped due to cuts and of course Lennox gets the W because the cuts were ruled from a punch. He retired after that and turned down about $20 million for a rematch so that should tell you something right there.
he retired because he was old as fuck...

Vitali lacks legacy, he beat up sam peter, cris arreola, and shannon briggs, and a couple blown up cruisers.... wait and the GOAT solis

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
they should have rematched though (especially if $20 million was on the table). It was a sick fight and if Vitali's face didn't fall apart, who knows what would have happened if not for the cuts. Maybe lewis does stop him, maybe he doesn't.

I'm not saying vitali is better than lewis or vice versa, just sayin Vitali gave Lewis a HELL of a fight and he was definitely worthy of a rematch. My point though was in response to Timm how he said Lewis made him look a retard. Far from the truth, it was a back & forth awesome fight. Pure entertainment.
I'm saying Lewis is better and I'm saying he was on the decline when he melted Vitali's face.

Jul 24, 2005
Merchant: A lot of boxing fans didn’t like Mayweather’s sucker punc

By Jason Kim: HBO analyst Larry Merchant was on the receiving end of one of Floyd Mayweather’s rants after his controversial 4th round TKO win over WBC welterweight champion Victor Ortiz last Saturday night. What was Merchant’s offense for being screamed at by Mayweather?

Well, Merchant had the nerve to point out that a lot of the booing fans were upset because Mayweather had clobbered Ortiz with what appeared to be two cheap shots while Ortiz was in the process of apologizing for a headbutt that he had tagged Mayweather with moments earlier.

In an interview at TMZ, Merchant said “[the Mayweather-Ortiz fight] was kind of exhilarating in it’s own way. [Floyd] hit him with a legal sucker punch. It worked. He was in charge of the fight, but a lot of fans saw it and didn’t like what they saw…He’s a prima dona. He’s an outstanding fighter, he needs to be in control of everything. He is a modern say reality show in progress.”

Mayweather really went off on Merchant when the HBO analyst pointed out how angry boxing fans were with his cheap shot. All Merchant did was tell Mayweather about what the fans were angry about and ask him why he chose to land those two cheap shots when he was ahead and in control of the fight.

Mayweather then went off, saying that HBO should fire Merchant because he doesn’t give him a fair shake. This continued into the post fight press conference where Mayweather said HBO needs to bring in new blood to replace Merchant. Again, it was for the same reason, Merchant doesn’t give him a fair shake.

As such, Mayweather wants Merchant replaced. He won’t be replaced by HBO, but you can bet that this will likely be the last Mayweather fight that Merchant works because Mayweather told Merchant he didn’t want him to interview him anymore. Since Merchant is the guy that climbs up in the ring to interview Mayweather, it’s likely that HBO analyst Max Kellerman will be the one working future Mayweather fights on HBO. They can’t afford to have Mayweather say not to Merchant and have no one interviewing him the next time Mayweather fights. Mayweather has a lot of pull and HBO probably doesn’t want to lose him to another network like Showtime over this.

Jul 24, 2005
Mayweather not sure if he’ll give Ortiz a rematch; De La Hoya wants to make it happen

By Chris Williams: Newly crowned WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. (42-0, 26 KO’s) says he’s not sure which direction he’ll be going in for his next fight – whether to give Victor Ortiz (29-3-2, 22 KO’s) a rematch or go after someone else.

One fighter that Mayweather probably won’t be fighting next if Manny Pacquiao, because when his name was brought up at the postfight press conference on Saturday night, Mayweather didn’t sound all that interested in making the fight at this time, saying “If you’re the best take the test…I’m tired of everyone saying Floyd is ducking and dodging.”

It doesn’t matter now if Mayweather takes on Pacquiao or not. He’s making huge money no matter who he faces. Mayweather will make between $25 million to $40 million for the Ortiz fight. He’ll obviously get a lot more for a fight against Pacquiao, but that fight can’t happen as long as Pacquiao is resistant to training in the United States so that he can be tested by the USADA.

That’s something Pacquiao will probably never do, so it’s kind of pointless to bring his name anymore. If he wanted the fight with Mayweather, he’d stay in the U.S and take the tests like Mayweather is asking. Since he won’t be doing that, he’s not on Mayweather’s radar screen. Pacquiao is lucky he wasn’t in there with Mayweather last Saturday night because I think Mayweather would have whipped him easier than he did Ortiz. We saw how much better Mayweather was compared to Ortiz, and Ortiz reportedly gave Pacquiao fits while sparring. Let’s face, Mayweather is the best fighter on the planet right now bar none and a small fighter like Pacquiao would be too easy for Mayweather.

Oscar De La Hoya, the promoter for Ortiz, wants to set up a rematch between Ortiz and Mayweather, making this remark on his twitter: “Bad sportsmanship by Mayweather. Ortiz was just warming up. A young lion. Does not deserve to go out like this and I will fight for Ortiz to have a rematch.”

The way that Mayweather was talking about Ortiz at the post fight press conference, I don’t think he’s going to fight Ortiz again. Mayweather seemed not too excited when someone asked him about a rematch with Ortiz, like he’s been there and done that already. One fighter that Mayweather did seem interested in is Amir Khan, the IBF/WBA light welterweight champion. I think he may be next up for Mayweather unless Khan feels he needs more time to get accustomed to fighting in the welterweight division before taking on Mayweather.

Jul 24, 2005
when Floyd Mayweather Jnr is no more, will the world accord him his rightful place

by Babatis Banda: When one passes away, and especially in my culture, all the nice things are said about the deceased as the obituary is being read. Usually, the employers are also given an opportunity to say something at the burial of their deceased colleague.

More often than not, we have heard how somebody was hard working and how they were about to be promoted, how difficult it will be to replace them and so on and so forth. All the praise comes at the late hour, when the accolades, the praises are worthless.

One Floyd Mayweather Junior comes into mind in the midst of an atmosphere of pure hate, envy and senseless controversies. When Floyd fights, he is in there alone in that squared circle, even amidst his home town fans, he would be booed. The reasons are varied depending on how you look at it. Some will hate him for the cocky, brash individual he is.

Some will hate him for his lifestyle, the money and the partying. Some hate him for being so skilled and his personal belief in his skills. Some blatantly hate him for what he does to other boxers in the ring. Floyd does not say things to please other people, to twist their arms for their loyalty. Floyd calls a spade a spade, and he will not hesitate to tell you what he feels about anything, he says it as he sees it. That is just Floyd and that what makes him the character he is.

Floyd does not hide the fact that he boxes for money. He does not shy away from saying what it is. Some boxers lie that they do it for the entertainment of their fans….that is a pure lie, boxing is a dangerous game and it is business.

If there is anybody who does it for their fans, or for fun, why do they negotiate for a decent pay-cheque? Why do they mind what they get paid at the end of it all? The fact that Floyd says that he puts himself first is an indication of his honesty, we all pay to see the violence that is inherent in all human beings.

To ask Floyd to show compassion to his foes or to question his sportsmanship over a legal incident is mind-boggling in the case of Victor Ortiz. I feel so incensed when Floyd is always the victim even when he is right. Others like Ortiz will get away with a sadistic head-butt, nobody wants to talk about it.

Manny gets away with his refusal to show sportsmanship behavior by taking RBT and yet, for some, it is OK. I wonder if it was Floyd who head-butted Ortiz, and then he got knocked out cold. In some places, I am sure traffic would have come to a standstill in celebration. I also wonder if it was Floyd who was refusing to take the test how some people would feast on it and make things really difficult for him. All the same, the goodness is that Floyd appears undaunted and he doesn’t really care. He makes the most money in the sport and he draws the most pay-per views more than anybody else. Ultimately, his objectives are met.

With all this negativity against Floyd, only the best survive and he is the best. His style is tailored to beat anybody in his weight class and it takes only honesty to watch him and agree that indeed, he is the greatest. When he is gone and no more, the boxing world will put him to the rightful place he belongs in history…the very top as is always the case.

Jul 24, 2005
I was doing just fine and then there was a little slip up” – Victor Or

By Chip Mitchell: Fans, he did it to us again. The 24 year old enigma that we know as “Vicious” found yet another way to breakdown mentally and cause the boxing world to scratch its collective head.

“Vicious” Victor Ortiz was knocked out on Saturday night by Floyd “Money” Mayweather at 2:59 of the fourth round. It was Mayweather’s first stoppage since 2007 and it didn’t come without controversy. Say what you want, but I think controversy is good for the sport. In this one, the opinions will run about as rampant as any fight in recent memory. If you dislike Floyd Mayweather, then you probably loathe him at this point. However, let’s put personal feelings aside and look at what I feel will be the bigger issue as we move forward.

Prior to the knockout, Floyd Mayweather was enjoying a 3-0 lead on most scorecards and seemed to be winning the fourth. However, there was plenty of action in the fight as both fighters took turns coming forward. Mayweather seemed to be getting stronger and in the fourth round, he decided to press the action a bit. Victor exploded with his own answer to Mayweather’s litmus test and tried to bully Floyd into the ropes. Once there, Ortiz followed with a flurry of punches (most of which were blocked), but pressed on.

Then the inexplicable…

I’ve seen accidental head butts. I’ve seen head butts that were intentional. However, I’m not sure that I’ve seen a boxer use an opponent’s shoulders to launch himself headfirst to commit a head-butting foul. After the head butt, the referee stepped in as Ortiz simultaneously followed with two shots that narrowly missed. Those two shots, as well as the head butt itself could’ve been cause for disqualification. The only reason I don’t think referee Joe Cortez disqualified Victor at that point was because it was a championship fight. One question I ask is if a fighter is down 3-0, why would he purposely foul to lose an additional point? Your answer may be that Ortiz was frustrated because he couldn’t connect with any significant punches on Mayweather. Nice theory. Popular theory. However, in my opinion, it’s the wrong theory.

Victor Ortiz had a Marcos Maidana flashback. He was facing an opponent who not only was getting stronger, but (unlike Maidana) was also a defensive wizard. In other words, Victor Ortiz simply quit. Don’t believe me?

Let’s take look at Victor’s history because I think there is a bigger problem that lies ahead. In 2005, Victor was disqualified for hitting Corey Alarcon after the referee called for a break. Then in 2009, we have the infamous fight with Maidana. I think the quote back then was “I’m young, but I don’t think I deserve to be getting beat up like this…” Huh? But your opponent does, right?

Then we come to Saturday’s main event in front of a packed MGM Grand crowd of 15,000 fans. Once again, Victor Ortiz found a way out. Again, I ask why a fighter would foul when down 3 rounds to none. Frustration played a part but this fight was about a mentally strong fighter defeating a young man with a mental deficiency.

This problem is not going to go away, fans. Victor Ortiz will do this again. Alarcon, Maidana, Mayweather. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me three times….

You can bring Eddie Futch back from the dead and he wouldn’t be able to correct the flaw that Victor has mentally. He can’t control himself. It exists in some fighters and even the fighter himself can’t stop it. Some guys spend an entire career tripping over themselves and Victor seems to be headed that way.

Andrew Golota was winning both fights with Riddick Bowe but couldn’t control himself to keep punches above the belt. Mike Tyson tried to break an opponent’s arm or bite them when things didn’t go his way. Victor Ortiz is slowly working his way into this class. It’s a shame because the kid is such a likeable young man.

Some fans will blame Mayweather for the outcome of the fight. Some will blame referee Joe Cortez. My prediction is that we will see this again from Victor at least once more. If we do, and to thy own self you are true, you’ll backtrack and realize who’s to blame. I hope Victor invests his millions wisely. He’s had a decent career so far and I hope that he makes me a liar by correcting his mental flaws. How many more “little slip ups” will he have before fans see through it? How many “little slip ups” before fans stop supporting him? I’d advise Victor to seek some help, but there is only one person who can make it right at this point. Best wishes to him.

Jul 24, 2005
Rafael: Ortiz got what he deserved against Mayweather

By Jason Kim: ESPN writer Dan Rafael thinks Victor Ortiz (29-3-2, 22 KO’s) got what he deserved against Floyd Mayweather Jr. (42-0, 26 KO’s) last night in Mayweather’s 4th round TKO win in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Rafael didn’t see anything illegal from Mayweather when he hit a defenseless Ortiz, who had his hands down by his sides after hugging Mayweather to make up for headbutting him.

Rafael said in an interview at ESPN: “What he [Ortiz] did resulted in what happened to him.He kind of got what he deserved. I don’t think Floyd did anything dirty. Joe Cortez [the referee], even if he was looking at the fighters, wouldn’t have been able to stop Mayweather from throwing a combination. It’s up to Victor to protect himself at all times.”

It may be true that Ortiz should have kept his guard up at all times, but there are times in the fight when fighters aren’t expecting to get hit, and one of those times is when they are hugging to say their sorry for something they’ve done. It would look kind of strange to hug with one arm while keeping a guard up.

There is such a thing as sportsmanship in the sport, and Ortiz put his trust in Mayweather that he wouldn’t open up on him when he put his guard down to hug him. It may be legal because Cortez restarted the fight, but Mayweather seemed to take advantage of Ortiz at the moment he was trying to say he was sorry and that really made Mayweather look bad. I know he wants to win and all, but I’m sure he probably doesn’t feel too good about how the fight ended. Mayweather would have received a lot more credit if he had just held back at that moment and let Ortiz put his guard up so that the fight could restart normally.

Mayweather was winning the fight, but Ortiz seemed to be coming on in the 4th round just before he headbutted Mayweather. We’ll never really know what would have happened because there was so much of the fight still left in front of the two fighters. Ortiz was really lighting up Mayweather in the 4th with some monstrous shots and if he could have kept this up for another 8 rounds, Ortiz could have worn Mayweather out and gotten a stoppage win. This wasn’t a mismatch like Mayweather’s other fights

Jul 24, 2005
Referee Cortez: Mayweather did nothing illegal

By Jason Kim: Floyd Mayweather Jr. (42-0, 26 KO’s) is at least $25 million richer today and possibly $40 million richer after clobbering WBC welterweight champion Victor Ortiz (29-3-2, 22 KO’s) with two shots that dropped him for the ten count in the 4th round last Saturday night in Las Vegas, Nevada.

The two punch combination was thrown by Mayweather with referee Joe Cortez looking off into space and there’s a question whether the action had even been restarted after Cortez had taken a point away from Ortiz for a missile like headbutt in the 4th round.

It was a dirty move by Ortiz, as he appeared to jump forward with his head spearing Mayweather to the face when he backed against the ropes. It was a good call by Cortez to stop the fight, and take a point away from Ortiz. However, things fell apart when Cortez didn’t seem to be focusing on the two fighters and there was a question whether the action had even been resumed.

Cortez was looking into the audience for what seemed like forever at the same time Ortiz was apologizing for the second time to Mayweather for the headbutt. Mayweather then wastes no time by hitting Ortiz was a tremendous left hook as he was backing up and not ready to fight. Cortez is still looking into the audience at this time and missed the first punch by Mayweather, and only appeared to see the tailend of the second shot.

After the fight, Cortez said “Time was in. The fighter needed to keep his guard up. Mayweather did nothing illegal.”

Maybe so, but if that was the case then Cortez really needed to have his eyes on the two fighters and not looking into the crowd. It seemed like he was distracted and not engaged. That may have given Ortiz a feeling that the action hadn’t resumed.

Jul 24, 2005
Roger Mayweather: Ortiz didn’t want to fight; Pacquiao won’t be next for Floyd Jr.

By Chris Williams: Roger Mayweather, the uncle and trainer for unbeaten Floyd Mayweather Jr,, says he knew that WBC welterweight champion Victor Ortiz wouldn’t want to fight if he was pressured hard last Saturday night by Floyd Jr. in Las Vegas,. Nevada, and that’s exactly what happened.

Perhaps Roger saw evidence of Ortiz backing off in his other fights when pressured hard by Marcos Maidana and Lamont Peterson, and figured that was a trend that would continue if Mayweather Jr, put any kind of steady pressure on the young 24-year-old Ortiz.

Whatever the case, this is exactly what happened. Other than the first round where Mayweather Jr. let Ortiz be the aggressor, it was Mayweather who was pressing forward for the most part in rounds 2 through four until the fight was halted after Mayweather Jr. dropped Ortiz with a beautiful left-right combination to the head.

“I knew it was going to happen,” Roger said to examiner.com. “I knew that from the get go. I wasn’t worried about that. I told him ‘Keep walking to him, keep walking to him.’ That mother****** didn’t want to fight.”

It’s hard to disagree with that notion because Ortiz looked like he was running from Mayweather to keep from getting hit. It was the opposite of how Ortiz had predicted the fight would be during the run up to the bout on the HBO Mayweather-Ortiz 24/7 episodes.

Ortiz made it appear that he would stalk Mayweather Jr. around the ring and punish him. But as it turns out, Ortiz fought a lot like he did in the Peterson and Maidana fights when he became uncomfortable with the pressure that he was receiving.

Roger isn’t sure who Mayweather Jr. will be fighting next, but he did pretty much rule out Floyd fighting WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao next, saying “I know he aint going to fight Pacquiao. So I don’t know who he’s going to fight.”

It’s pretty easy to understand why Mayweather Jr. won’t be fighting Pacquiao next. Mayweather Jr. wants Pacquiao to agree to take the USADA Olympic style random blood tests for performance enhancing drugs, but for him to do that he’ll have to keep his training camp in the United States the entire time and not split the camp by training the first half in the Philippines where the USADA can’t test him. Pacquiao and his promoter Bob Arum haven’t shown any interest in following Mayweather’s requests that Pacquiao stay in the U.S for the testing. Because of that the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight is a non-starter and likely won’t change in the future unless Pacquiao or Mayweather give in.

Feb 3, 2006
Mayweather: Pacquiao is Trying To Steal My Fanbase

BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

By David "Los Gatos" Rosenberg

WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. believes that Manny Pacquiao is avoiding their potential mega-fight, and continues to use to his name to build up his fanbase. Mayweather came back on Saturday night at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas and knocked out Victor Ortiz in four rounds. Pacquiao is scheduled to defend his WBO welterweight title against Juan Manuel Marquez on November 12th.

"They are lying to y'all. They are just trying to steal my fanbase. They are piggybacking on my fanbase. Every fight they sell they say 'we want to fight Mayweather.' It's not true, but they don't really want to fight. They are bullsh*ting you guys. Once he loses it's overwith," Mayweather said.

Mayweather wants to fight Pacquiao, but only if USADA [United States Anti-Doping Agency] handles the random drug testing protocol for both boxers. He says Pacquiao is willing to take those tests, but claims the Filipino boxer is only willing if certain conditions are met.

"Exactly what he said is, he wants to take the test but for a whole month [before the fight] he doesn't want to take the test, and when he is tested he wants to be warned, he wants to know when [the USADA agents] are coming. Everything they say is bullsh*t. They are just trying to steal my fanbase. How dow you think he got this big? By being connected to my name," Mayweather said.

Come on Manny submit to random testing and stop playing games..

Jul 24, 2005
Cortez: I’m the captain of the ship I told Mayweather and Ortiz the fight was restarr

By Dan Ambrose: Referee Joe Cortez was quick to point out that it wasn’t his fault that former WBC welterweight champion Victor Ortiz wasn’t ready to keep fighting after Cortez took a point away from Ortiz last Saturday night in the last seconds of Ortiz’s fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr. at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada.

“I told them the fight was back on and I put my hands down in the middle and said come on let’s go,” Cortez said in an interview at sportsradioreviews.com. “Then I looked at the timekeeper and being the captain of the ship, I made sure that my timekeeper had his clock running. I was surprised he [Ortiz] would put his hands out again to say I’m sorry.”

I don’t think anyone has too many problems about Cortez telling the fighters to start fighting again. I think where boxing fans have an issue is how long Cortez turned his attention away from the two fighters to stare at the timekeeper. Cortez spent too much time looking over there at a crucial point in the fight. With Cortez taking his eyes off the fighters, it left no in control of the fight during those important seconds.

Ortiz may have been fooled into thinking that time wasn’t back in because Cortez had his body and eyes facing the timekeeper instead of the two fighters. Ortiz didn’t think that the action had resumed and kept his hands down when he should have obviously kept them up. But Cortez definitely restarted the action because you can here him say “let’s go.”

But taking his attention off the two fighters was where things got messy. I think he could have done better. If it’s going to take Cortez that long to check on the timekeeper then he needs to work out a system to speed this up, because he can’t be staring at the timekeeper when the action is going on right in front of him. If that’s the case then maybe we need two referees to work the fight when Cortez is working – one to stare at the timekeeper to make sure he’s restarted the time properly and the other to watch the actual fight.