Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 24, 2005
Toney says he has low testosterone

By William Mackay: 42-year-old James “Lights out” Toney (73-6-3, 44 KO’s) went to the doctors recently to figure out why he’s been unable to lose weight despite working out hard and discovered that he has low testosterone and a thyroid problem, according to an interview at fighthype.com. Toney is now on medication to fix the problem and has lost a lot of weight in the one month that he’s been on the medication and is down to the low 240s.

Toney came into his last fight in February against Damon Reed weighing a career high of 257. For someone only 5’9″, that is way too high. Although Toney won the fight by a 10 round decision, he looked pretty mediocre to say the least.

Having low testosterone for a man in his 40s isn’t all that uncommon. It comes with aging and it’s a part of normal aging for men. The question here is whether Toney is taking testosterone supplements. Toney didn’t say what medication he’s on but if he’s taking testosterone, it could cause him to fail a post fight urinalysis unless he can get a waiver for him to be on the medication. Hopefully, he’s not because I could see this as being a potential problem for him if he’s not able to pass a post fight test for performance enhancing drugs. Toney’s problems seem to be more than just weight. He just looks too short and weak for the heavyweight division. If he, with the help of his medication, can move down to cruiserweight or light heavyweight, maybe he would be a factor but that’s not realistic given all the weight he would have to take off. As big as he is now, I can’t see Toney ever getting back down to 200 again and no way will he get down to 175.

Jul 24, 2005
Cotto willing to fight Sergio Martinez next at 154 if the offer is good

By Jason Kim: WBA junior middleweight champion Miguel Cotto says he’d be willing to fight WBC Emeritus champion Sergio Martinez next at 154 pounds if the offer for the fight was a good one, according to an interview by Cotto at elnuevodia. Cotto isn’t pleased that Antonio Margarito is already being mentioned as his next fight when nothing has been confirmed yet on that end. Cotto wants to fight the best and take the best offer. Bob Arum, Cotto’s promoter, has been mentioning Margarito as a likely opponent for Cotto in the summer.

However, if a fight between Cotto and Martinez is the bigger fight, Cotto may nix that idea and go with the fighter with the hot hand rather than someone like Margarito, who has lost two out of his last three fights. You can’t blame Cotto for looking at Martinez first because Margarito won’t give Cotto much clout if he beats him at this point because Margarito has been whipped badly by Shane Mosley and then Manny Pacquiao recently. In contrast, Martinez is fighting at a very high level having beaten Kelly Pavlik, Paul Williams and Sergiy Dzinziruk in his last three fights. Martinez has looked great in each of these fights.

If Cotto takes the Martinez fight first, he can always come back to Margarito afterwards because he’ll still be there and he’s good enough to take on someone else and win while he waits on Cotto. That would be the smart thing for Cotto to do, because Martinez is the much more popular fighter right now compared to Margarito and HBO or SHowtime would be all over a Cotto vs. Martinez fight.

Jul 24, 2005
Paul Williams wants Pacquiao, Mayweather or Sergio Martinez next

By Jim Dower: The recently knocked out Paul Williams (39-2, 27 KO’s) isn’t interested in taking an easy fight for his next bout and is aiming high for either a rematch against WBC Emeritus middleweight champion Sergio Martinez or fights against Manny Pacquiao or Floyd Mayweather Jr. Sadly, Williams’ chances of getting any of those fights are pretty much a dream at this point because Pacquiao and Mayweather simply aren’t going to fight the lanky 6’1″ fighter.

He’s just too tall and a nightmare match-up for either of these guys. Even though Mayweather and Pacquiao would still likely beat him, the work that it would require to get the win just wouldn’t be worth the money. Those guys can get more money against easier guys and that’s just the way it is. A rematch between Martinez and Williams is too soon for HBO or Showtime to likely show interest. Williams needs to redeem himself somehow by beating two or three high quality fighters before he can realistically start hoping for a rematch with Martinez.

Williams did beat him in their first fight in December 2009, but few boxing fans felt that Williams really won that fight. And in his rematch with Martinez, Williams was knocked cold in the 2nd round last November. It was a devastating knockout and it would be not a good thing for Williams to tangle with a hard puncher like Martinez so soon after a knockout loss like that. Williams might end up getting really hurt if he fights Martinez this quickly.

Jul 24, 2005
Macklin vs. Gevor in WBA title eliminator on 4/16

By William Mackay: In what is a very strange fight, #3 ranked middleweight contender Matthew Macklin (28-2, 19 KO’s) will be facing 2nd tier middleweight Khoren Gevor (31-5, 16 KO’s) in a WBA middleweight title eliminator on the undercard of the April 16th fight between WBA Super World light welterweight champion Amir Khan and challenger Paul McCloskey at the M.E.N. Arena, Manchester, England. How in the world Gevor, a fighter that has lost two out of his last three fights and is no longer ranked in the top 15 by any of the sanctioning bodies can be facing Macklin in a WBA title eliminator is beyond me. What is that all about?

Why isn’t Macklin being made to face someone like #2 ranked David Lemieux at least? The WBA has some really crazy rankings though. Look at their #1 contender Avtandil Khurdsideze. I don’t mind that Macklin isn’t facing that guy because it would be too easy for Macklin, but you at least got to make him someone in the top 15, don’t you? And if Macklin wins, which WBA champion does he face? There’s a couple of them right now – WBA regular champion Gennady Golovkin and WBA Super World middleweight champion Felix Sturm.

Does Macklin get to fight Sturm or does he have to face Golovkin? Macklin better not hold his breath waiting for Sturm to fight him because he could end up waiting for a long time. If it was me, I’d pass on the whole WBA thing and look to go after one of the other belts like the WBC or IBF. Macklin could wait forever to get a shot at Sturm if he’s the one, and I don’t give Macklin any chance of beating Sturm, especially if the fight takes place in Germany and it probably will.
Share and Enjoy:

Jul 24, 2005
James Kirkland: “It’s more than a blessing”

By Gabriel Montoya

The long ring walk had been an equally long time for junior middleweight James Kirkland. You could see it in the way he moved- bounced, even- toward the ring, eager to get at the man waiting for him there. Wearing a simple red sweatshirt to go with red and black trunks, the southpaw Austin, TX native bounded into the ring for the first time in two years before a growing crowd at the Honda Center in Anaheim, CA two weeks ago. Another opening bout once again on another fighter’s showcase card. When Kirkland went back to prison two years ago for buying a gun (though already a felon), many felt this moment would never come. However, Kirkland never doubted he’d return and as he bounced in the corner during the introductions, the readiness for this moment oozing off of him, you could see the frustration and pent-up aggression ready to be unleashed.

“It’s more than a blessing,” Kirkland would tell me afterward. “First and foremost, I want to give thanks to God because without him, none of this would be possible. As far as me being able to come back and to get back in a boxing ring and do what I know how to do best, it’s a blessing. I give thanks to Kenny Adams and Coach Chris for getting me ready in the gym every day. And Pops [Billingsley] for giving me all of the knowledge of boxing and teaching me and staying with me for so long. He continues to stay with me and help me with my boxing. It’s really a privilege to have good people around me like [co-managers] Michael Miller and Cameron Dunkin, [promoter Oscar] De La Hoya, the list goes on and on as far as people who stayed down for me when the separation came from me and boxing and me going to jail.”

One name missing from that list of thank-yous is former co-trainer Anne Wolfe. Kirkland and Wolfe had been together since James first started boxing as a nine-year-old back in Austin. Since he’s been in and out of prison, there has been a rift, one which James still will not talk about.

“No I haven’t talked to Ann,” said Kirkland, 26-0 (23). “We talked for the first few months I was in jail but for the majority of my time, we didn’t communicate at all. And since I been out, I haven’t talked to her at all.”

Kirkland was polite and complimentary of Wolfe, speaking of how well she conditioned him for ring war. But in the end, he said that it was time to move forward in his career and left the details of what transpired unsaid. It is a story only to be told between them.

Moving forward for Kirkland includes a move to Las Vegas to work with veteran trainer Kenny Adams, who trained Al Cole, Diego Corrales, Frankie Liles, Freddie Norwood, Ray Mercer, Vince Philips and Edwin Valero. Adams is known as a disciplinarian and a technician. While it has been easy to get Kirkland to work out, straightening out his punches, fixing his balance and adding a missing weapon were keys for Adams.

While his opponent, Ashandi Gibbs, a six-round fighter coming off two losses, was clearly there as a sacrificial lamb, there were subtle differences in Kirkland’s game. The punches came from close to his center near his chin and returned just as close. Before, Kirkland’s hands would go all over the place as he stormed forward in full-out attack mode, caution be damned. This is how he got dropped by Allan Conyers in the first round of their fight in November 2007. The result of Adams’ and Kirkland’s new union was brief- 34 seconds to be exact- but the work they are doing together is evident.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWeS3fkXQcE

“What I was pleased with more than anything else was that James didn’t primarily have a hook before so we’ve been working on that,” explained Adams. “So that was one thing that he threw that I was very pleased about. But you know, James has got all the other tools anyway. But the big key for him, he’s such a dedicated, hard-working guy so things can never get but a lot better for him. That’s how it’s going to happen. Things are going to get much better.”

“My plan coming into the fight was ‘Redeem myself.’ Be the same person that I was. Show everybody that I haven’t lost nothing,” said Kirkland. “The only thing I lost was time that I can’t get back. I lost time being with my kids and my family. As far as the boxing, I wanted to leave a mark and show everyone that I am still ready. I am still willing. I’m fired up and I am still ready to win.”

Adams is man known to not just work with anyone. He is not a celebrity hired gun but a man who values his time and putting his reputation on the line with a fighter. Knowing that Kirkland has a solid work ethic was important to Adams. Though to speak to them both, their definition of hard work may differ.

“That was very important because I was listening to people who said as much and then I got to see for myself,” said Adams. “You have to slow him down really. He just wants to get in there and work hard, hard, hard. You have to cut that off because sometimes you can get over-trained.”

“They may want to train me hard but I train hard hard,” said Kirkland. “They may want me to train this way or that way but I train hard hard. I have to show them how strong and how hard I train. A lot of people don’t train their fighters the way I train. So they like, ‘That’s unheard of.’ When I show them, they’re like, ‘Oh, sh*t.” Like it’s just different methods that I do when it comes to training, as far as how much adrenaline, how much energy do I put into the gym. It messes with them. ‘He can’t possibly be really that good or that focused.’ And that is where my mind frame is at, staying focused and giving thanks to God. I have this second, third, opportunity to come back and show the world I can be great.”

One thing that was apparent was Kirkland’s balance was better. Sure, it was a super-short fight but you could tell his center of gravity was different. He was lower to the ground with his hips under him and more compact in general, a wrecking ball as opposed to an out-of-control storm.

“[Adams has] been showing me all the new tricks,” explained Kirkland. “How to sit down on punches, how to hold your balance down. There are a lot of tricks of the trade that he knows that he is giving to me. [Balance] and being able, when I make a certain move, to know how to adjust and be able to fly with a bunch of power while making that move.”

“That was one of the things we were working on, getting his balance better,” said Adams. “We’ve been together about four weeks now. It is going to work itself out. I know a lot of people are wanting to jump in and do a lot of fighting for him but I hope they give him an opportunity to kind of work with it. Although knowing him, he wants to fight, fight, fight. He wanted another fight tonight after this one. He wanted us to put him in again.”

“I would have,” agreed Kirkland. “If they gave me the opportunity to do it again, I would have done it. No problem. I would like to fight every month-and-a-half every time. It would keep me busy, keep me focused, but I just see myself getting three more fights and then fighting for the title.”

[Editor’s note: as of press time , Kirkland is slated to face Jhon Berrio, 15-8 (11), on Friday night at the Orange County Fairgrounds in Costa Mesa, California]

Bold words but at the same time, Adams seemed to agree on the timetable before Kirkland could be stepped up to contention fights, as did Kirkland’s co-manager, Cameron Dunkin.

“Two or three fights,” said Adams. “He showed me today. We warmed up very well and he went in very fluid and wasn’t wild. The punches were compact and they were locked down real good.”

The question is, at what weight does Kirkland potentially chase a title? He’s promoted by Golden Boy, who has just gotten Saul Alvarez his WBC belt at 154 pounds, Kirkland’s former division. It’s hard to believe they would put this man in with that kid any time soon, especially considering that James was merely the opening bout on a card Alvarez headlined to the tune of 11,000 tickets sold.

“We were at 162 for this fight but we didn’t make a big, big push to make weight until the final weight so [Kirkland] can probably [make 154],” said Adams, “although 160 could probably be a good weight for him because he probably can be much stronger at 160. Maybe, maybe not because the way this guy works is just amazing, you know? I’m amazed at how hard he works because I have had guys that work really hard and he really pushes it.”

Adams has high hopes for his young charge. When he guested on Leave-it-in-the-ring.com radio show later in the week, Adams made a bold prediction for Kirkland. “I believe he can be the best of his era,” Adams said. “Even better than Manny Pacquiao.”

Cue angry emails now.

“The sky is the limit,” Adams said at ringside after the fight, “as long as he can stay healthy. He is the future of boxing. I really believe so because of what he brings to the game. He brings attitude, civility, all those things you need in boxing. And he has a great heart. He saw three young kids at the fitness center over here across the street. He started talking to them. He loves kids. He has three himself. He asked ‘Ya’ll want to come to the fight?’ And they said, ‘Yeah,’ so he got them three tickets.”

Another key for Kirkland will be staying out of trouble. He has already had two run-ins with the parole board since he got out last September.

“That was because I went to go run five miles,” Kirkland explained. “They gave me permission to run five miles but then the head people, they say, ‘Hey, he’s not supposed to even be running. That’s not part of the job.’ So now they want to blame me like I never got permission but I got permission. So we went over to the head people at the prison and told them about the situation. The people got in trouble at the halfway house and they sent me back because of that. The other time was because I went to go get my mouthpiece.”

Kirkland explained that once you’re in the penal system and in the eye of the law, getting back on track is a very hard thing to do. Still, he said he loves his home state even if he had to leave it to begin again.

“Don’t get me wrong. Texas is a beautiful place. If you want to raise kids and get involved in a good amount of great things, Texas is a great place. But when it comes to the laws in Texas, it’s kind of crazy. Drug laws and gun laws, different things seem out of the ordinary. Come to Vegas, Cali, everyone got their different little laws. When it comes to Texas, once you commit crimes and hang around with bad people and bad influences, you’re hooked but they don’t play down there. When they say, ‘Don’t mess with Texas,’ they mean, ‘Don’t mess with Texas.’

Kirkland’s managers felt it was a good idea to move him to Las Vegas to work with Adams, away from the temptations of old habits in East Austin. Perhaps in a new environment, a new beginning can occur. Perhaps the old saying, “Wherever you go, there you are” will reveal itself to be true again. Time will tell.

While he didn’t mention who he wanted to fight specifically, knowing Kirkland, he doesn’t care. “Line them up and I will knock them down” has always been his attitude. Whether or not he can refine his boxing skills while maintaining his identity and aggression in the ring will be another story.

“I am just trying use boxing skills but at the same time, I want to be able to press and give what I know how to do until somebody can bring it to me to make me bring out more of my boxing skills,” said Kirkland.

Watching him look for that specific name fighter and seeing what happens when he finds him is going to be one exciting ride, whether it lasts only another 34 seconds or results in a long, illustrious career.

Jul 24, 2005
Bute-Magee: Hopefully this will be the last of the easy fights for Lucian

By Dan Ambrose: Waiting for IBF super middleweight champion Lucian Bute (27-0, 22 KO’s) to take on an interesting opponent is like waiting for Felix Sturm to step it up several levels and start facing some real quality fighters. It’s just been incredibly slow going for Bute since he captured the IBF title in 2008. We’ve seen him in with 38-year-old William Joppy, twice with Librado Andrade, and then in fights against Jesse Brinkley, Edison Miranda and Fulgencio Zuniga.

On Saturday, we’ll be seeing Bute take on 35-year-old EBU champion Brian Magee (34-3-1, 24 KO’s) at the Bell Centre, Montreal, Canada. If Bute had taken on a series of really tough fights, this would be a decent tune-up fight for him. But instead it’s more of the typical opponents that Bute has been facing since he won the IBF and that’s really disappointing. Bute has been a really underwhelming champion in terms of taking on interesting opponents that boxing fans want to see.

Oh, I’m sure that Ireland really likes this fight because that’s where Magee is from. However, I don’t see how Canada, which is where Bute now fights, can be excited by this fight and I know in the U.S. pretty much no one is interested in this bout, even though the fight will be on Showtime. I don’t see it as a Showtime-worthy fight. I see it as a fight that should be buried deep on an ESPN 2 fight. It’s just not an interesting bout and appears to be a huge mismatch.

Hopefully, Bute gets the mismatches out of his blood after this fight and starts taking on some interesting bouts because I can’t believe his fights are being shown in the U.S against guys like Miranda, Brinkley and Magee. Those were all one-sided fights even before the first punch was thrown and were completely boring to watch.

Jul 24, 2005
Timothy Bradley: “If I beat Amir Khan I don’t think Freddie Roach will

Timothy Bradley: “If I beat Amir Khan I don’t think Freddie Roach will put Manny Pacquiao in the ring with me”

by Geoffrey Ciani (Interviewed by Jenna J & Geoffrey Ciani) - This week’s 115th edition of On the Ropes Boxing Radio featured an exclusive interview with unified WBC/WBO junior welterweight champion Timothy Bradley (27-0, 11 KOs) who is rumored to have another unification fight against WBA champion Amir Khan (24-1, 17 KOs) pending Khan’s outcome in his April clash with Paul McCloskey (22-0, 12 KOs). Bradley is coming off of a surprisingly easy win against previously undefeated champion Devon Alexander (21-1, 13 KOs). Bradley spoke about his recent victory, the prospect of facing Khan, and various other topics pertaining to the current boxing landscape. Here is what he had to say:

Regarding rumors of a potential unification match between him and Amir Khan:

“I think that’s going to be the next fight. They’re planning for July 23. We’re trying to get that fight made. You know Amir Khan has a fight in April. God willing he’ll get through that fight unscathed and we’ll be meeting July 23. I think it’s going to be a great showdown. I think Amir Khan brings a lot to the table and I’m ready to show you who the best junior middleweight in the world is.”

Whether he worries that Amir Khan could get injured or lose in his April fight against Paul McCloskey:

“Yeah. Anything can happen in boxing. It takes just one punch to win a fight and I’m just hoping everything lines up perfectly. I hope he doesn’t get injured and like you said nothing is for sure in boxing, but Amir Khan can’t run anywhere else, I mean he has to go through me if he wants to be considered the best fighter in the world at 140 pound. I think he has really no other option but to fight me. So I don’t think he’s going to run. I think he wants the fight. He said it out of his mouth that he wants to fight me and he’s willing to do that July 23. So hey, let’s do it then!”

On what it would mean to get the opportunity to face Khan in a unification fight:

“Yeah I believe it was after I fought against Lamont Peterson, we were trying to get in the ring with Amir Khan. That’s when he was with Frank Warren and then he transferred and went over to Golden Boy and Golden Boy just wasn’t interested at the time. So I mean finally now, it’s come to this point. I did everything that he pretty much asked me to do. I fought Devon Alexander, he fought against Marcos Maidana and he said the winner should face the winner. I won, he won, hey! Now let’s have a showdown!”

His views on fans who were critical of his unification fight against Devon Alexander:

“I can’t make Devon fight a fight. I came to fight. I can’t make Devon fight. I took it to him from the opening bell. Stylistically the fight wasn’t a good matchup. I look back at it. It is what it is. I got the victory. That’s all that matters to me anyway and I’m ready to show the fans what I really can do by beating Amir Khan. So they have a lot to look forward to. Amir Khan I think has the perfect style for my style. Amir Khan, like I said he brings a lot to the table. He’s very active. He’s trained by one of the best trainers in the world. He’s an Olympic Silver Medalist. I mean the guy brings a lot to the table and that’s a big challenge for me, and I’ll definitely be up for the challenge.”

On whether he feels he is not receiving due credit for beating the undefeated Alexander in a unification clash:

“At first I was but now I’m like whatever. There are always going to be doubters out there. Everybody is not going to like me and like my style, but for the boxing fans that do I really appreciate them. It’s time to move on. Devon Alexander was like a month or so ago. I’m over the fact. I got the win. I’m settling in and now I’m moving on to bigger and better things.”

On whether he believed his fight with Alexander would be more competitive going into it:

“You know what? I did. Honestly I felt like the fight was going to be tougher. My trainer going into the fight told me that it was going to be the easiest fight that I’ve ever had in my entire career, and I looked at him like he was kidding. He told me, ‘Tim, I’m telling you when you get in there it’s going to be easier than you think it is’. Looking back at the fight, it wasn’t like lopsided like I destroyed him but it was relatively easy. I was able to walk him down and he really couldn’t do too much to me. I was able to apply the pressure all night and he couldn’t adjust, and that made it easy for me because I didn’t have to adjust. I just kept doing the same thing, just walk to him, just walk to him. Every time I got close to him I just had to make sure that I was really close before I swing so I didn’t leave myself out there to get hit with a counter, because Alexander has great counters. He has fast hands. It was just very easy. It was a very easy night. I wish it would have gone the distance because I was starting to turn it up. After the ninth I started hitting him a little bit more flush. In the tenth I started turning it up a little bit more. In the eleventh I was going to turn it up even more, and in the twelfth I was going to close the show. So I wish it would have went on, but it didn’t. He took the coward’s way out by crying and making excuses just like everybody else does and that’s the bottom line on that.”

On whether he believes he sees any weaknesses in Amir Khan’s game that he can exploit:

“They know my game plan. Freddie Roach knows me. He’s seen me fight a lot. My game plan is to take it to him, period. He’s one-dimensional. I’m going to take it to him. That’s my game plan guys, taking it to him. I saw a little bit of weakness in the Maidana fight. I saw some things that I can execute that I feel he can’t get away from because he still makes the same mistakes all the time. I’m sure they see weaknesses in my abilities and my craft too, but the thing is Amir can’t adjust. He can’t adjust. He cannot adjust. I mean he couldn’t even stop Maidana’s uppercut and Maidana kept landing it all night long, and he couldn’t even stop the uppercut! I’m way quicker. Obviously I don’t hit harder, but I hit hard. If I don’t hit hard then we didn’t Devon just stay there and exchange with me? If I can’t punch, why didn’t Devon stay there and exchange with me? He wouldn’t exchange with me! He would hit, move, and then he would hold. That was his game plan! I was like is that all you got dude? I mean seriously? In the first round I knew his game plan. I was like oh, okay! He’s going to tie me up every time I get close, and then he’s going to run, he’s going to pitter-pat, and then he’s going to move. I think Amir is going to bring a lot to the table. Like I said, he’s trained by Freddie Roach and Freddie Roach is a good strategist. Freddie Roach comes with a game plan and if Amir Khan can execute it then there is a possibility he can beat me, but the thing is he’s going to have his hands full!”

His response to the following comments made by Freddie Roach on the prior week’s edition of the show: “I actually think they need to build that fight up a little bit. I think maybe they need more exposure so I don’t know why you would rush into that fight”:

“ Oh man! That’s hilarious man! Freddie Roach, I’m serious! If Freddie Roach is going to try and stop this fight from happening, I’m not sure if he can! I’m not sure if he can, man! I mean Amir has to fight me! He has to fight me. Yeah, let’s build this fight a little more but how much bigger is it going to get? I don’t think it’s going to get any bigger than this. Who else is he going to fight out there? Is he going to fight Erik Morales or somebody after Morales gets beat down by Maidana? I mean I don’t know. He has to fight me, man!”

On whether he believes the fight between him and Khan actually will happen in July:

“The fight has to happen, man. It has to happen but I’ve always had a little bit of doubts that the fight wouldn’t happen. You know I put out in the press that I was going to fly over to England and see him fight McCloskey. I really thought about it, but I thought if we put too much pressure on him that he’s going to run away. So I don’t know if I should go or not. I think that Freddie Roach thinks that Amir’s not ready. I think Freddie Roach thinks that Amir can beat me, but just not right now. He’s not willing to take that risk.”

On whether he plans on making a more permanent jump to 147 if he can unify at 140:

“Absolutely! I will take care of business at 140 first. There are so many fights that I can fight at 140 pounds. I still want to get in the ring with Victor Ortiz. I still want to get in the ring with Marcos Maidana. There is Marquez if he wants to move up and face me at 140 pounds. Erik Morales has decided he’s trying to come back but I think he’s making a big mistake by fighting Marcos Maidana. I mean I eventually want to move up to 147 pounds. A lot of people want to see me and Andre Berto go at it. Andre Berto is a good friend of mine and everything, but business is business. I wouldn’t mind fighting him and fighting some of the top guys out there at 147 pounds. I think I can compete with them, definitely.”

His views on how he matches up against Marcos Maidana’s style:

“Marcos Maidana? I think Marcos Maidana brings a lot to the table through his heart and his will, but I think that with my boxing ability I’ll be able to move all night on him. Every now and then he’ll get close and I’ll have to tie him up and fight on the inside a little bit and fight in spurts a little bit, move around and use my angles. I mean I don’t think it would be an easy fight. I honestly don’t think it would be an easy fight. I think it would be a hard fight, but I think it’s a wonderful fight for me.”

His views on the fight between Marcos Maidana and Erik Morales:

“Man, you know a lot of people are saying that Erik Morales is going to beat this guy and a there is a lot of people saying that Erik Morales is making a huge mistake. I think Morales is making a big mistake. I think why is because Erik Morales has been away for a very long time. Yes he can box, but he’s up there in age now. Why did he retire in the first place? I think he retired because he was over the hill. Now he’s coming back and Marcos Maidana is a dangerous guy! He brings a lot of pressure. He’s hungry, he’s determined, and he doesn’t want to lose again! Amir Khan is a tough kid who can box and he couldn’t outbox this guy for twelve rounds, and he’s young! He’s 23 years old. He has faster hands, greater boxing ability, but he couldn’t outbox him for twelve rounds. You know Amir had to sit there and trade and take some punches. I don’t think Morales has the legs to go twelve really hard rounds like that.”

On whether he believes a win against Amir Khan can lead to an opportunity for him to land a fight with Manny Pacquiao:

“No. I don’t think so because I think if I beat Amir Khan I don’t think Freddie Roach will put Manny Pacquiao in the ring with me. That’s it right there. Freddie would rather take on Floyd Mayweather or take on somebody else and say I’m not big enough yet.”

On whether he believes Sugar Shane Mosley has a chance in his upcoming fight against Manny Pacquiao:

“Yeah, I think he does. I looked at it and said Shane was going to get blown out of the water and this and this. Then I really looked at Shane’s style and what he brings to the table. Regardless of age I’m looking at skill level. I think Shane is the bigger guy. He’s quick. He’s not faster than Manny don’t get me wrong, but I think that his skill level and his ability to survive, Shane is going to be tough to knockout, man. Shane doesn’t really get knocked out. Vernon Forrest put him on the canvas, but he didn’t knock him out you know, and Shane’s been fighting at this weight for a very long time. As far as skill-wise, speed, and just the smartness that Shane brings to the table I think is going to give Manny some problems. If Shane has good legs in this fight I think he’ll be alright, man. He can sit back and pot shot from the outside, and use, move his defense, and give Manny some problems.”

Regarding which fighters he has most admired and has tried to emulate style-wise:

“I was a huge Roy Jones fan, huge Roy Jones fan, and it probably doesn’t look like it in my fighting style. I changed a little bit since I became professional, but if you go back to my amateur background I kind of moved a lot and threw flurries, and moved and threw flurries. I would have to say Evander Holyfield. I was raised up watching him fight. You know he was a small guy, a small heavyweight, and he fought against these big giants and just the heart and the determination and the will this guy had, watching him fight just inspired me. So I would do a lot of things and want to be like Evander Holyfield in some way. I just loved that, I don’t know what you’d call it, that grit that grinding that Evander had. Like, ‘You hit me hard once, I’ll hit you hard twice!’ I love that! Another older fighter, I would say Hagler. I’m not a lefty. I don’t really switch a lot, but Hagler could fight righty or lefty and just with how aggressive he was and how he earned everything. You know a lot of people didn’t give him a lot of credit for what he did and that made him tough. He had this grit and grinding where he would just want to take someone out. That’s what I love. I love that tenacity. Cotto brings that tenacity to the table. We saw him get beat by Margarito or whatever, but he brings that to the table. I love Cotto’s style. He comes to fight. Any fighter out there that comes to fight I love to watch.”

Regarding criticisms he sometimes receives from people who accuse him of being a dirty fighter:

“Tell me one time where it looks like I’ve done it intentionally. Just show me where I’m doing something intentionally, like where I’m using my head as a tool. I mean you can’t. I’ve never been penalized or had a point taken. The ref is in the ring and he’s the closest man to us and he never penalized me, any ref! No one has done anything or taken a point from me because of something intentional. So that’s what I say to the fans out there. I’m not a dirty fighter. I fight, I fight aggressively, and I’m a short guy. I lean forward when I punch and these guys, they need to stop crouching down when I hurt their bodies. So that’s what I say to the fans. I don’t really have anything else to say about that.”

His vopinion on what Amir Khan’s strategy will be against him:

“I think Amir Khan’s strategy, what they’re going to do is try and land that uppercut, that right uppercut that he loves to use that he was landing on Maidana. He knows I’m going to be slipping and sliding, so I know Amir is going to be trying to land that jab and that right uppercut. I think his jab is going to be the key. Once I take that jab away from him then I just have to be careful with that right uppercut, because that’s a big shot! He loves to land it. He likes to step back and throw it, but I think that’s going to be his biggest disadvantage by throwing that shot, because he’s going to misjudge it one time and he’s going to get caught.”

On what he expects in a fight between him and Amir Khan:

“I think it’s going to be a hard tough fight. I think it’s going to be a split decision win and I think I’m going to be victorious in the end.”

Jul 24, 2005
Exclusive Interview With Matthew Macklin - “On the right night I believe I can beat a

By James Slater: Today in Manchester, it was announced how 28-year-old Matthew Macklin, 28-2(19), will be facing Khoren Gevor on April 16th, in a final eliminator for the WBA middleweight title. 31-year-old Gevor, 31-5(16) and a southpaw, has challenged for a major belt three times previously and he will be hoping he can get the better of the Brit when he meets him on the Khan-McCloskey under-card next month.

Present at today’s Ricky Hatton-hosted press conference, I had the opportunity to speak with the always-exciting Macklin.

Here is what “Mack The Knife” had to say about his upcoming fight:

James Slater: Thanks for taking the time to speak with Eastsideboxing.com, Matthew. First of all, you said you were disappointed to have lost the Winky Wright fight. Is there any chance you will have a problem getting up, getting motivated, for the fight with Gevor?

Matthew Macklin: No, there’s no problems getting motivated; I’m very familiar with Gevor. The first time I saw Gevor was back in 2005. I was fighting on the under-card of Hatton-Mauser, and I fought a Russian guy, Alexey Chirkov. He was 17-1 then and his only loss was on points to Gevor. I watched the DVD of that fight, so I’ve been familiar with Gevor since then. As you do, you keep an eye on fighters who are in your weight class; thinking you may cross paths in the future. So this is a fight I have to be motivated for. He’s a really good fighter. Obviously, Winky Wright’s credentials speak for themselves - but though Gevor may not be as well-known in this country, he is a proven fighter himself. He’s been in with the best, and a lot of people thought he won the fight [he had] with [Felix] Sturm (in July of 2009).

J.S: What are Gevor’s strengths?

M.M: He’s small and he uses that to his advantage. He tucks up well and makes himself even smaller. He pushed Arthur Abraham hard (in August of 2007). He really is a good fighter.

J.S: Do you see a points win next month, or a KO win?

M.M: Bar his getting stopped in the 11th-round by Abraham, I don’t think anyone has ever come close to stopping him. He may have lost an early fight on a cut, I’ll have to check (Gevor was TKO’d in the 8th, by Lukas Konecny in 2002, this loss followed a TD loss to the same man, earlier that same year). He’s a tough guy and he’s got a pretty good defence. So I don’t know….. I’ll certainly be looking to bag rounds, put points away. If a KO comes, it comes. I’m a pretty big puncher at the weight, so if I do land clean it could well be a KO. But I’m not going to go in there looking for one necessarily.

J.S: Looking ahead: have Golden Boy pretty much promised you the fight with Sturm after?

M.M: Pretty much, but they still have to actually make the deal, don’t they? But this fight is an elimination and I’m ranked number-three by the WBA anyway. I’ve waited a long time, I’ve paid my dues and I think I deserve my chance. I’ve fight some really tough guys, I’ve been a European champion twice, and I deserve my opportunity.

J.S: There’s no doubt about that. Would you go to Germany to fight Felix Sturm? He seems to be hesitant to fight outside of Germany.

M.M: I’d go to Germany. I think Sturm is very beatable. He’s very good, a technical boxer, sharp, with a lovely jab and a tight defence - but he isn’t a big puncher and I don’t think he’s the most physically strong fighter. I’d fancy a fight with Sturm big time, and I wouldn’t mind going to Germany.

J.S: Do you feel you are at your peak right now?

M.M: I honestly think I’m getting better. Little bits of experience, tweaking little things…. Look at the likes of Joe Calzaghe, and even Sergio Martinez now. Those guys are/were in the best stage of their careers when in their mid-thirties. And look in the past: Steve Collins, he beat [Chris] Eubank when he was 31. And Nigel Benn: though it was a tragic fight, he beat Gerald McClellan when he was 31 and that was probably the peak of his career. So I think that at 28, the best is still out there. I’m still improving. You get cuter, and learn little things in the gym - whether it’s not to do too much of that, or if it’s to do a little more of this. As long as I get the right fight in front of me, where there is something on the line, a fight I can get up for, I think I can beat anyone in this division.

J.S: Talking about getting up for fights: is a fight with you and Darren Barker still out there or have you moved on now?

M.M: I’m still up for the Barker fight. It’s just the way it worked out. I signed a contract to fight him in September and he pulled out ten days, two weeks or whatever it was, before. I signed to fight him and he pulled out, not me. And then I was offered the fight with Winky Wright, which I couldn’t turn down. So for now, I don’t see the fight happening until later down the line. I win this [Vs. Gevor] and, please, God, it will be a world title shot next. Then, if he [Barker] keeps winning, maybe we will meet in a world title fight. I’m a fighter, and I think I’ve proven I will fight anyone. I leave it up to my management and my team

J.S: It’s been great speaking with you. For my final question: people still talk about the classic you had with Jamie Moore - I know you lost that one! But it’s a YouTube favourite. Have you ever watched it yourself?

M.M: I’ve watched it many times. I watched it the next day. It was that type of fight; I had really struggled to make the [light-middle] weight. Even as early as rounds two and three, I was tired and fighting on heart. I lost but I don’t regret [taking] it. I know now how far I can dig deep. You always think you’re tough, but you don’t ‘know’ until you ‘know,’ and because of that fight I know I’ve got it inside me. As I say, on the right night, with the right preparation, I believe I can beat any middleweight. I am unbeaten at middleweight.

J.S: Certainly, neither Gevor nor Sturm will be able to push you like Moore did, and that fight had the weight factor as you said. Thanks for your time and best wishes for the April 16th fight.

M.M: Thank you.

Jul 24, 2005
Casamayor looking for some big fights after recent win

March 14, 2011 - With his recent victory over once beaten Manuel Leyva (18-2, 10 KO's), former three time World Champion and Olympic Gold medal winner, Joel Casamayor (38-5-1, 22 KO's) is seeking fights against anyone in the top ten at Lightweight and Jr. Welterweight.

"I know I can compete at the top level," said Casamayor. "I just beat Leyva who had only been beaten once in eighteen fights. My only losses in the past five years are to Juan Manuel Marquez and Robert Guerrero, who many consider to be the best in the lightweight division. My track record shows that I'll fight anyone, anytime so I want to let everyone know that I'm not going anywhere. My goal is to keep wining, and eventually get another title shot at Lightweight or Jr. Welterweight."

Luis Decubas Jr., who manages Casamayor went on to say, "Joel is an elite fighter and anyone he fights will have their hands full. I'm looking to get him right back in the ring against a top level opponent as soon as possible."

Jul 24, 2005
HBO's Larry Merchant backs off on his wishes of Saul Alvarez vs. Manny Pacquiao

remember having a candid conversation with HBO color commentator Larry Merchant this past December, days after Saul Alvarez's gritty victory over former champion Lovemore N'dou in Veracruz, Mexico. Merchant and I discussed Alvarez in depth, talking of his future aspirations and just how serious his potential is.

Merchant seemed to be on cloud nine when he analyzed the young fighter from Jalisco, Mexico, fully believing that he has a certain pedigree and poised attack that beguile his youth. Merchant would even go on to tell me that if Alvarez continued his winning ways that he would welcome the thought of a potential face off with WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao, widely regarded as the best fighter in the world.

<--- Slideshow: Comparing Saul Alvarez to Manny Pacquiao

Three months later and Saul Alvarez is now a champion, just a little over a week removed from capturing the vacant WBC junior middleweight championship with a clear-cut decision victory over England's Matthew Hatton. It was only natural for me to give Merchant a ring and get his thoughts on the performance.

"I'm still very high on him and I think he's an outstanding 20-year old fighter," said Merchant. "Time will tell how good he is. But to accomplish what he has so far is pretty impressive. When he fights the elite fighters we will find out just how good he is. Right now he's as good as he can be or as good as it gets at this age."

But what about a fight with Pacquiao down the road? I had to ask Larry if that was something that still perked his interest.

"The way Arum is going, only willing to fight his own people, his own fighters, and having this moment when he's got more of the top fighters than anyone else and he doesn't want to see his fighters fight anyone else's fighters, I don't think it's a real serious prospect right now. Because of the feud with Golden Boy," he continued.

Fair enough. I could sense a little more realism in Merchant's voice this time around. You can easily spot his fondness for 'Canelo' but in many ways we still have a kid on our hands. Pacquiao is getting ready for a fight of his own on May 7th against Shane Mosley in Las Vegas and thinking of the two fighters meeting at this point is just fascination.

Merchant closed out our talk by claiming that whether or not Golden Boy is ever able to do business with Top Rank again, they still have a very hot ticket on their hands in Alvarez. Taking things step by step and one day at a time is what works best for the moment.

"I think Alvarez is shaping up as Golden Boy's answer to, not Pacquiao because nobody's an answer to Pacquiao at this point, but where was Pacquiao when he was 20? They feel they can just move him the way it is. He put a lot of asses into seats last weekend. Both in the homes watching on television and live against an opponent who was not really well known. Their best way to respond to how Arum is running the show is to develop somebody like this. I'm sure we will see a lot more of him on television. He's a very appealing, charismatic fighter."

For a closer look at both Saul Alvarez and Manny Pacquiao, including their bouts against Juan Manuel Marquez, Erik Morales, Oscar De La Hoya, Miguel Cotto, Carlos Baldomir, Jose Miguel Cotto and more please visit Slideshow: Comparing Manny Pacquiao to Saul Alvarez

Continue reading on Examiner.com: HBO's Larry Merchant backs off on his wishes of Saul Alvarez vs. Manny Pacquiao - Las Vegas Boxing | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/boxing-in-l...iao?CID=examiner_alerts_article#ixzz1Gj3RvE5n

Jul 24, 2005
Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. hints that Saul Alvarez is a scared fighter

When I left the post fight press conference for this Saturday night's Miguel Cotto-Ricardo Mayorga clash at the MGM Grand around 11 PM I thought that I had gotten nearly all of my coverage for the night. It was a hectic weekend but it turns out I wasn't quite done as I spotted a familiar face out of the corner of my eye as I walked through the masses inside of the casino.

Turns out that Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. was in town to check out the action. Last year the 24-year old was rumored to be a potential opponent for Cotto in December but the Puerto Rican opted to sit out the remainder of his 2010 schedule while Chavez Jr. saw a fight with Pawel Wolak fall by the wayside after suffering a flu.

Asked for his take on Cotto's performance, which saw him chop down Mayorga for a 12th round TKO inside of the Garden Arena, Chavez felt that it was a solid scrap but that Cotto could have gotten him out of there earlier had he applied more pressure and stepped up his combination punching.

After his fallout with Cotto we saw Jr. return with an uninspiring ten-round decision over Billy Lyell in late January in his native Sinaloa, Mexico and he is now lined up for his first crack at a world championship as he looks to challenge WBC middleweight champion Sebastian Zbik on June 4th in Los Angeles. It seems to be the only thing that the young fighter is thinking about right now.

"It's the most important fight of my life. I'm just preparing for this fight," Chavez said.

At the moment Chavez's trainer Freddie Roach is in the Philippines dividing his time between WBA junior welterweight champion Amir Khan and WBO welterweight king Manny Pacquiao for their separate bouts. Chavez says he is ready to do whatever Roach wants when the time is right and the two will probably hook up sometime next month when the trainer returns to his stomping grounds at the Wild Card Boxing Club.

Before I left I had to ask Chavez about a potential fight with recently-crowned WBC junior middleweight champion Saul Alvarez, still fresh off of a victory over Matthew Hatton in Anaheim, California. A match between the two would be one of the biggest fights to make amongst the Mexican population but there has been an ongoing feud between Top Rank, who co-promote Chavez, and Golden Boy Promotions, who guide Alvarez.

Outside of that fact Chavez Jr. simply doesn't feel that Alvarez wants the fight, at least for the moment.

"I don't think we could even make the fight because of the difference in promoters and difference in television. Alvarez can't fight with me. Not yet. It's a good fight but I think Saul

Continue reading on Examiner.com: Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. hints that Saul Alvarez is a scared fighter - Las Vegas Boxing | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/boxing-in-l...ter?CID=examiner_alerts_article#ixzz1Gj3j0Jhm

Jul 24, 2005
Pavlik wants Sturm bout

By Eric Thomas: Former WBC/WBO middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik will be fighting on the undercard of the Manny Pacquiao vs. Shane Mosley fight on May 7th against Alphonso Lopez in a 10 round bout. The fight will be the first for Pavlik since he was schooled by then challenger Sergio Martinez last year in April in a bloody one-sided 12 round decision loss for Pavlik.

Pavlik now will be looking to get back to the winning ways against the over-matched Lopez at super middleweight. Pavlik, 28, has filled out his lean 6’2” frame can no longer make the 160 pound middleweight division without drastically dieting and training hard to melt down to his old weight.

Pavlik walks around from the low 180s to the mid-190s, and that’s an in shape Pavlik. It doesn’t take a genius to see that Pavlik will soon not be able to make even 168. He may feel drained even at that weight, and it wouldn’t be surprising because he’ll have to shed a lot of water weight to get down to 168 for the Lopez fight in May. Pavlik will likely have to move up another division real soon by moving up to 175 to fight a light heavyweight.

Pavlik should be able to beat Lopez in May unless he’s better than people say he is. Going forward into the future, Pavlik says he wants to fight WBA middleweight champion Felix Sturm and he thinks it can happen at a catchweight. It’s a fight that might be slightly interesting to the U.S. boxing public, but it would be huge in Germany, where Sturm fights and is well respected.

It would be a nice fight if Pavlik could get it. However, Sturm is doing well fighting carefully selected opponents in Germany, and it’s hard to imagine that Sturm will want to break from that routine to take on someone like Pavlik who would have a good chance at beating him. Sure, there is a slight chance that Sturm will want to take a risky bout against Pavlik if the money is good, but not likely.

May 13, 2002
Seattle
www.socialistworld.net
wow this is a bit of a shocker! This really helps GB out, because besides Khan they really don't have too many YOUNG or in their prime rising stars.

Nonito Donaire Leaves Top Rank, Joins Golden Boy

LOS ANGELES- Golden Boy Promotions is extremely pleased to announce the signing of Two-Division World Champion Nonito Donaire to its roster of fighters. The 28-year-old native of the Philippines is coming off of a dominant second round stoppage of Fernando Montiel on February 19, which earned him the WBC and WBO Bantamweight World Titles. Now, as he looks to continue his reign as one of the top pound-for-pound boxers today, "The Filipino Flash" has signed an exclusive, multi-year agreement with Golden Boy Promotions.

"Nonito Donaire is one of the top boxers in the world today and we're going to make sure he gets the chance to defend his world titles and stays as active as possible," said Oscar de la Hoya, President of Golden Boy Promotions. "The bantamweight division is becoming one of the most competitive and exciting divisions in boxing and we look forward to promoting Nonito in great fights in the coming years."

"I'm honored to be joining so many great fighters and champions on the Golden Boy Promotions team, with," said Donaire. "I'm going to fight my heart out every time I'm in the ring and will give fans the fights they want to see."

A native of Talibon, Bohol, Philippines who now resides in San Leandro, California, Donaire (26-1, 18 KO's) is unbeaten since his lone loss in his first year as a professional in 2001. Since then, he has defeated everyone put in his path, and in July of 2007, he won the IBF and IBO Flyweight World Titles with a fifth round knockout of then-unbeaten Vic "Raging Bull" Darchiniyan. He went on to defend his titles three times before winning the WBA Super Flyweight Interim World Title with a unanimous decision victory over Rafael "Torito" Concepcion in August of 2009, which he then successfully defended in August of 2010 against Hernan "Tyson" Marquez. Following the Marquez fight, Donaire moved up to the bantamweight division where in just his second bout at the new weight, he shocked the boxing world with the ease with which he dominated Fernando "Cochulito" Montiel in February. In 2011, Donaire will look to defend his new crown with Golden Boy Promotions in his corner.

Jul 24, 2005
Cornelius Bundrage Eyes Saul Alvarez, Miguel Cotto

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=37074#ixzz1GnIELdKy
This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

By Ryan Burton

BoxingScene.com spoke to IBF junior middlweight champion Cornelius "K9" Bundrage to get his thoughts on newly crowned WBC junior middleweight champion Saul "Canelo" Alvarez's recent victory over Mathew Hatton. Alvarez won a 12 round unanimous decision over the Englishman to win the vacant WBC strap. Alvarez had received criticism for facing a welterweight for the junior middleweight belt and then received more criticism when he couldn't put the smaller man away before the final bell.

"I thought it was a good fight for Canelo. They are doing a good job with the guys they are putting him in there with. The way he got that belt man, that is outstanding. The way I see it he hasn't fought anyone and he is a world champion. I wish I could have went through the same thing myself. I earned my belt. I ain't mad at him. His people did a good job getting him that belt. If I could have done the same thing I would have done it too," Bundrage told BoxingScene.com

K9 has been inactive since winning the IBF belt via TKO over Cory Spinks this past August. The former Contender series participant is hoping for a unification bout and Alvarez is just one of the fighters that he would like to face. He feels that his dominating victory over former champion Cory Spinks should have landed him a big fight already.

"I would love to fight Alvarez or Cotto or any of these top guys. I should be getting one of these unification bouts. I beat a 5 time world champion (Cory Spinks) but nobody wants to give me credit for that. Spinks was talking about fighting Pacquiao or Floyd after me. You don't think he was training hard for that fight when he was trying to get a big fight like that afterwards?"

The Detroit, Michigan native feels that his fan friendly style and the notoriety that he received by participating on the Contender series makes him a viable option for a showdown on one of the premium networks.

"People know me man. I have been known world wide since my time on the Contender. I should be able to get one of these fights."

There have been rumors that Bundrage may face undefeated Cuban prospect Erislandy Lara in the televised opener to Devon Alexander's next fight that will likely take place in June or July. Bundrage said that he doesn't have a problem facing the former amateur standout but would prefer a fight versus one of the current champions.

"Of course I would fight Lara but at this point I would rather face Alvarez or Cotto or any of these guys with a belt. Cotto just had a great win over Mayorga too. We should be able to unify some of these belts and give these fans the fights they want to see."

Jul 24, 2005
Top Rank: Our Contract With Nonito Donaire is Valid

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=37079#ixzz1GnIlq7SA
This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

By Rick Reeno

On Wednesday, Golden Boy Promotions announced the multi-year promotional signing of WBC/WBO bantamweight champion Nonito Donaire. For the last few weeks, Donaire has claimed that his contract, which runs out in June, was invalid because Top Rank has not satisifed the terms of the deal. The sticking point being claimed by Donaire, is a contract term which required Top Rank to provide him with three fights per year.

According to a recent interview with Top Rank's CEO Bob Arum, Donaire suffered injuries that prevented him from taking fights in the early part of his deal, and Top Rank recently exercised their option for a one year extension to push Donaire's promotional contract until at least June of 2012. Pursuant to the contract terms, Arum believes Donaire's injuries will automatically extend his deal even further, until 2013.

Following Golden Boy's announcement, Arum spoke to BoxingScene.com, and it's pretty clear that another lawsuit is ready to erupt. Arum is very confident that Donaire is still under a valid contract with Top Rank.

"We have a valid, binding, legal contract in full force and effect, and we are going through our lawyers to pursue our legal remedies. The point is, that we have a valid contract, and nobody is going to push us around, and we are going to enforce our contract. And anybody that doesn't respect our contract we are going to go after," Arum told BoxingScene.com.

Jul 24, 2005
Ortiz says he’s going to knock Berto out on April 16th

By Dan Ambrose: WBC welterweight champion Andre Berto (27-0, 21 KO’s) is happy to be fighting light welterweight Victor Ortiz (28-2-2, 22 KO’s) on April 16th at the Foxwoods Resort Casino, Mashantucket, Connecticut. Berto, 27, will be making his sixth defense of his World Boxing Council belt with three of them coming against light welterweights instead of fighters from his own weight class. Berto, however, remains happy with the situation, saying “This fight is exactly what boxing needs right now.

Two young fighters in their primes going head-to-head. I’m excited and I know this is going to be a tremendous fight.” It might be a better fight if Berto would take on #3 ranked Mike Jones instead of yet another light welterweight. Ortiz is a fighter that is struggling right now with his confidence and doesn’t seem to know whether he wants to be a slugger or a boxer. He’s clearly a much better slugger than he is a boxer, as we saw in his fight with Lamont Peterson last December.

Ortiz did a great job when slugging it out with Peterson in the early rounds, knocking him down a couple of times and really dominating. But when Ortiz started boxing, he looked out of place, and didn’t do at all well. He ended up running from a lot weaker puncher and causing the fight to end in a 10 round draw. Berto is a much better puncher than Peterson, and he’s got to be feeling pretty good about his chances of winning this fight based on how confused Ortiz looked in that fight. Ortiz has the power to knock Berto out but he’s going to have to fight aggressively to do that. He can’t win by running from him.

Ortiz said “I’m going to knock him out.” He isn’t if he fights passively. He’s going to have to fight similar to the way he did in the Marcos Maidana fight before things went bad for Ortiz.

Jul 24, 2005
Bute predicts that Froch and Ward will be in the finals of the Super Six tourney

By William Mackay: IBF super middleweight champion Lucian Bute (27-0, 22 KO’s) is predicting that WBC super middleweight champion Carl Froch and WBA champ Andre Ward will wind up in the finals of the Super Six tournament. Bute figures that Froch will beat 42-year-old Glen Johnson in May in the semifinals of the Super six and also thinks Ward will get by Arthur Abraham in a fight that will also be taking place in May. Bute isn’t sure who will win between Froch and Ward, however.

Bute said “I find it tough for Abraham to have a solution for Ward…The final will be Carl Froch vs. Andre Ward. I really can’t say who the winner will be.”

Bute has a title defense of his International Boxing Federation belt this Saturday night against Brian Magee (34-3-1, 24 Ko’s) at the Bell Centre, Montreal, Quebec, Canada. The 31-year-old Bute is a whopping favorite to win this fight and then move on to a possible fight against former two time super middleweight champion Mikkel Kessler for later in the year. Kessler will reportedly be present for the Bute’s fight against Magee this Saturday night to get a good look close up of Bute to gauge how to beat him in the future.

Jul 24, 2005
Haye says Solis can beat Vitali if he comes in at 225

By William Mackay: WBA heavyweight champion David Haye continues to believe that his former conqueror Odlanier Solis (17-0, 12 KO’s) can beat WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko (41-2, 38 KO’s) this Saturday night in Cologne, Germany. Haye believes that an in shape Solis at 225 pounds can beat the 6’7″ Vitali. Haye doesn’t mention anything about the fact that even if Solis does come in at 225, he will still be six inches shorter than the Ukrainian at 6’1″ and will be giving a way a lot in reach and power.

It sounds as if Haye is trying to pat himself on the back by saying Solis can not only beat him but Vitali as well. Unfortunately, Haye doesn’t seem to understand that there is a huge different between his own talent and that of the much bigger Klitschko. If Haye has his eyes wide open, he’ll discover on Saturday that there is a worlds of difference when Vitali destroys Solis without any problems.

As far as the weight issues go, Solis doesn’t look anywhere near 225. In the last press conference between Solis and Vitali, Solis looked in the low 250s, and nowhere near 225. Solis is still sporting a double chin and visible flab around his midsection, torso and upper arms. He looks too fat.

Speaking with the Metro, Haye said “A Solis at 260 won’t beat Vitali, but a Solis at 225 can. If he has got himself into condition he could cause Vitali fits.”

It sounds like wishful thinking by Haye. I guess if Vitali losses or struggles against Solis, it won’t make Haye’s loss to him look nearly so bad. The problem is Vitali won’t lose and this won’t be a close fight. Solis is like another Danny Williams and he’s going to be going down a lot on Saturday night. Hopefully, his promoter or trainer throws in the towel early because this is going to get out of hand quickly.

May 13, 2002
Seattle
www.socialistworld.net
whoa this may be the 2nd biggest move of the year next to bob arum moving manny to showtime
After some thought, I think it was a bad move by Donaire.

The reason is because of the Top Rank vs Golden Boy war going on and how they don't do business together.

Take a look at Top Rank's roster:

Top Rank

Super Bantamweight
Wilfredo Vazquez jr
Guillermo Rigondeaux
Steve Molitor
Jorge Arce

Featherweight

Juan Manuel Lopez
Yuriorkis Gamboa
Mikey Garcia
Matt Remillard
Bernabe Concepcion
Jesse Magdaleno
Mario Santiago

Now compare that to Golden Boy's:

Golden Boy

Bantamweight

Abner Mares
Eric Morel

Junior Featherweight

Charles Huerta
Nestor Rocha

Featherweight

Antonio Escalante
Jhonny Gonzalez
Chris John
Israel Vazquez

Other than Abner Mares at 118, IF HE EVEN WINS THE TOURNAMENT, there just aren't that many big names golden boy can offer donaire. Donaire expressed his desires to continue to move up to 126 pounds fighting Vazquez jr on the way and then fight JuanMa and the likes which would be huge fights. Unlikely now.