Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 24, 2005
Khan: “McCloskey will be as tough as Maidana”

By Scott Gilfoid: Amir Khan (24-1, 17 KO’s) is busy trying to convince boxing fans that his hand picked opponent Paul McCloskey (22-0, 12 KO’s) is going to be a real threat to him on April 16th when they meet up for a UK fight. McCloskey isn’t much of a puncher and it’s a fight that probably only Khan’s British and McCloskey’s Irish fans can love. For the most part, American have never heard of McCloskey, and the few that have seen him fight haven’t been exactly thrilled with his skills.

In an article at clickliverpool.com, Khan said “The Maidana fight did me the world of good and confidence is high. He was strong and I proved my chin I could fight under pressure. The fight was big for me. It was hyped up as a 50-50 battle. It made me a better fighter. I’ve learned a lot and feel a more mature fighter since my last fight. McCloskey will be as tough as Maidana. He’s strong and he loves a tear-up, so we’ll be ready for him…Paul is far a better fighter than Junior Witter or Lamont Peterson. I want to fight the best fighters and at this stage of my career, I think Paul is the best opponent out there.”

Oh brother, now I’ve heard everything. McCloskey isn’t the best fighter out there. He’s the best guy out there if you’re looking for any easy fight. McCloskey = Dimitri Salita, another fighter ranked high by the WBA without any experience against top tier opposition. This isn’t the best guy out there for Khan. McCloskey is just another weak puncher that Khan can face so that he doesn’t get knocked out before his fight with Timothy Bradley. And McCloskey sure as heck isn’t as tough as Maidana. I can’t believe Khan said that. Who’s going to believe that kind tripe?

Share and Enjoy:

Jul 24, 2005
will YOU lose all respect for David haye??!????

Feb 24th

Haye-RJJ face off

Sign of a possible fight to come? WBA heavyweight champion David Haye and former multi-division world champion Roy Jones Jr. faced off this week at the famous 5th Street Gym in Miami Beach.
I hope haye has better sense than this and it no way this fight gets sanction

Jul 24, 2005
Alexander-Matthysse: Zab Says a Mistake For Devon

By David Rosenberg

During a recent interview, former two time champion Zab Judah on variety of topics including a possible clash between former WBC/IBF junior welterweight champion Devon Alexander And Lucas Matthysse.

In November Judah tasted the canvas in a very competitive fight in which the former champion won a split decision versus the Argentina native.

Boxingscene's Ryan Burton recently conducted an interview with Alexander's manager Kevin Cunningham and Mathysse's trainer Gabriel Sarmiento who both said they like the idea of a showdown between their fighters.

Judah, who has been in the ring with the likes of Miguel Cotto and Floyd Mayweather told fighthype.com's Ben Thompson - "Like I keep telling people, Lucas Matthysse was one of the hardest punchers that I ever fought in my life."

The Brooklyn native feels that Matthysse will be a tough matchup for Alexander. He also feels that after a couple more fights that Matthysse will make a name for himself in the U.S.

"Now Devon's going to take him on? I mean, Devon's a good, quick fighter, but after the showing he put on with Bradley, I don't know. One thing Matthysse is going to do, he's a hard puncher and he's going to bring it. Hopefully we'll see something big come out of it. Keep watching Matthysse, you'll see. After a couple of fights, then people will start saying, 'Okay, we gotta give Zab his credit because Zab did beat him

Jul 24, 2005
Jean Pascal Vs Bernard Hopkins II: The Boxing Sequel

By Gina L. Caliboso

When it comes to a rematch, the second match is usually the best bout between two fighters with a shared history. Later this year on May 21st, veteran Bernard “Executioner” Hopkins, 51-5-2, 32 KO’s, will go up against Canadian Jean Pascal, 26-1-1, 16 KO’s.
At stake, both fighters will be fighting for the IBO Light Heavyweight, WBC Light Heavyweight, and vacant WBC Diamond Light Heavyweight titles. It is a rematch from the December 2010 bout that resulted in a draw.

Back in December 2010, Pascal and Hopkins fought in Montreal, Canada (Pascal seems to have a home country advantage). The following judges scored the bout as follows: Claude Paquette, 113-113, Daniel Van de Wiele, 114-114, and Steve Morrow, 114-112.

Since Pascal seems content fighting in Canada only, much like fellow fighter Lucian Bute, I always question if whether any opposing fighter can get a fair fight. When I mean fair, I mean a split decision in favor of the guest fighter. As much as I’ve called and even thought that Hopkins should simply retire, I give the edge to Hopkins for this rematch for a couple of reasons.

First, Hopkins, the veteran fighter, has ring intelligence on his side. Although his boxing style doesn’t always make for a great and interesting bout, Hopkins wears down his opponents in methodical fashion. As ring savvy as he is, the youngsters in the sport today can definitely learn from his intelligent fighting.

It’s true that if you can win a fight, it’s best by knockout, but today’s fighters want to be KO fighters without much thought or strategy to their fights. This is perhaps something lacking in younger boxers and why Hopkins is so good. Hopkins is just the opposite of a power puncher and has determined that in order to win fights, he has to create a bout beyond power. With twice as many fights as his much younger opponent, Hopkins will outbox Pascal, but he can’t wait until halfway through the fight. He has to strike early and convince the judges he wants to win the bout more out of skill and ring generalship. In order for Hopkins to look good, he has to make Pascal look bad.

With age, Hopkins does not have KO punching power alone. The last fight that Hopkins scored a KO occurred back in 2004 against boxer now promoter Oscar De La Hoya. I can still recall that 9th round KO body shot to the liver that sent the Golden Boy to the canvas.

Since then, all of Hopkins’ fights have gone 12 rounds. It’s a lot of boxing! As for the remaining competition in the light heavyweight division and rounding out the top four of the light heavyweight division, Hopkins still has more victories than #3 Chad Dawson, 29-1, 17 KO’s and #4 Tavoris Cloud, 22-0, 18 KO’s combined.

repeat – that’s a lot of boxing!

Unlike Pascal, Hopkins fighting record of wins and losses reads as well-earned victories. Hopkins lost a split decision to now retired boxer from Wales, Joe Calzaghe, 46-0, 32 KO’s back in April 2008.

Even though Calzaghe suffered a knockdown in the first round, he recovered enough to take a decision away from Hopkins. Of course, I’d also have to give a nod to now retired Jermain “Bad Intentions” Taylor defeating Hopkins twice back in 2005. Both bouts ended with 12 round unanimous decisions in favor of Taylor.

Hopkins again, must be doing something right because Taylor has since quit the Super Six Tournament as well as being missing in action the past year. To catch up, in his most recent bout against fellow veteran fighter, Roy Jones, JR., Hopkins earned a 12 round unanimous decision.

Secondly, I also give the nod to Hopkins because this is perhaps the bout that he can consider as the bout to end his career. It’s a classic – the aging veteran fighter has a fight against father time and a younger opponent. A victory over the younger Pascal makes for a perfect ending for Hopkins. There would be no other opponent for Hopkins to really fight that could show how good he really is.

As for the younger Pascal, he does have a dent in his armor of youth that can only be earned with more time in the ring. Pascal has not had to fight outside of Canada and I don’t blame him. Pascal suffered his one loss in a bout back in 2008 when he decided to step over into the United Kingdom to fight Carl “Cobra” Froch, 27-1, 20 KO’s in his hometown of Nottingham, Great Britain. Pascal lost to Froch in a 12 round unanimous decision. The youthful Pascal will have to defeat Hopkins with a KO. I don’t know if a split decision would satisfy either Pascal or Hopkins. And, a unanimous decision earned by Pascal is not very probable. Hopkins will not allow a shred of doubt he will win by decision – it’s the only way he knows.

I love the possibility of this second bout and I’ll put money on Hopkins. I love the billing – Hopkins the veteran versus Pascal the younger. And, I know what you’re thinking RSR Readers, rematch for a 3rd bout? Doubtful, but consider that before there are trilogies, there are sequels. Think Rocky I and then Rocky II. Think Star Wars and then Empire Strikes Back. Manny Pacquiao vs Marquez I & II.

Do you get the picture here?

It’s the second bout, it’s the one that really, really counts, and for both Hopkins and Pascal – especially after a draw – both truly, truly, need to prove and earn a victory over the other.

Jul 24, 2005
How Pacquiao's Different From Past Crossover Boxing Superstars

Last week Manny Pacquiao went to New York City and visited the Daily News, and then traveled to Washington D.C. to meet President Obama at the White house. These stops are in part due to the promotion of his upcoming welterweight title bout with former three division champ Shane Mosley. Like Muhammad Ali, Sugar Ray Leonard, Mike Tyson and Oscar De La Hoya, Pacquiao has become a superstar and major presence on the world stage and once again, a pugilist has taken America by storm. Pacquiao's fights are events and more than just boxing fans look forward to watching him fight. Which also was the case with Ali, Leonard, Tyson and De La Hoya.

However, if you think about it, Pacquiao is different than the other fighters mentioned above in this sense. In reality, the only thing Manny shares with Ali, Leonard, Tyson and De La Hoya (Oscar is a tier lower than Ali, Tyson, Leonard and Pacquiao as being a natural fighter) is that he can flat out fight and is truly a once in a generation talent/fighter. If you think about it, outside of the ring Manny is very nice and somewhat boring. He's to the letter when it comes to political correctness, and that was years before he became a Philippine congressman. And in a thousand interviews you'd be hard pressed to find something he's said negative about anyone.

As much as he's routinely disparaged by Floyd Mayweather in the media, he responds by saying he prays for Mayweather to get his life together. Could anyone imagine Ali or Tyson having Mayweather dog them in the press like Floyd has Manny, and them responding like Pacquiao recently has? Not in a million years. Both Muhammad and Mike would've retorted and gone deeper into the gutter than Mayweather could ever imagine. As for Leonard and De La Hoya, they'd respond in some condescending manner and act as if they're above dignifying Floyd's antics with an acknowledgment. Yet Manny says he's praying for Floyd.

Another major contrast is Pacquiao is the only one who wasn't groomed to be a superstar from the moment he turned pro. All the fighters I mentioned were essentially stars before they'd even proven themselves. Pacquiao had been a great fighter for many years before he became a superstar. And looks also played a part in the fame behind Ali, Leonard and De La Hoya. It's no coincidence that all three of them had leading man good looks. Tyson, who was promoted as an animal, more like King Kong than as a human being, didn't need those kinds of looks. But would De La Hoya have been a star if he'd looked like Bernard Hopkins? These fighters were superstars partially because crossover boxing is show business, and they all had the faces to allow for the crossover.

For the last couple years promoter Bob Arum has been saying that Pacquiao is as big as Ali, Leonard, Tyson and De La Hoya when it comes to being an international superstar, (he's not at Ali or Tyson's level yet). But Arum promotes Manny and maybe he was lying yesterday and is telling the truth today. Then again maybe this time Arum really is telling the truth. Whatever you think about what Arum says, there's no denying that Pacquiao is currently as big as Peyton Manning, LeBron James and Tiger Woods in regards to being a superstar throughout the world.

If you compare Pacquiao to Ali, he's at a disadvantage. Ali was a the fastest and flashiest flashy heavyweight in history who became a member of the Nation of Islam, then refused to fight in the Vietnam war. He was out of boxing 43 months and made a successful comeback. Ali stirred the pot on race, politics, religion, and free speech. Tyson was a man-child who was promoted as the biggest life-taker since George Foreman, whose life outside the ring came apart once he became undisputed heavyweight champ. Ray Leonard was an Olympic hero who adopted the moniker "Sugar" from Ray Robinson and then took on Muhammad Ali's trainer Angelo Dundee, and his early fights were broadcast by Howard Cosell, another vein that traces back to Ali. Oscar De La Hoya was an Olympic star like Sugar Ray Leonard and was promoted as being the kid next door. And like Leonard, Oscar was managed and promoted by corporate millionaires on the way up.

Another difference between Pacquiao and the fighters mentioned above is, 90% of the fans who watch him fight are rooting for him to win. Whereas when Ali and Tyson fought, half the people watching wanted them to win and the other half wanted them to lose. And the same applied to Leonard and De La Hoya, who were perceived by many as being the beneficiaries of marketing and television executives who saw to it that they got every benefit of the doubt on the scorecards when they fought. Most likely the only people who watch Pacquiao fight that are rooting against him are die hard fans of Floyd Mayweather.

Other than being a great fighter, Pacquiao really doesn't have much in common with Ali, Leonard and Tyson, aside that his fists speak loudly in the ring. And it says something about the way Pacquiao's popularity has exploded being that he's not an American and was fighting as a featherweight when he first showed up on HBO. On paper, Pacquiao's popularity might be hard to translate into US standards, in that he's small (Americans are obsessed with heavyweights), he speaks English as a second language (Duran could get away with that because he had a persona that made him larger than life), and because, culturally speaking, US fans like their heros to trash talk a little bit, but there are cultures where modesty and piousness are actually bankable. Bear in mind that, for the Philippine people, Manny presents a very good image to the rest of the world, so there's every reason why they should love him.

Boxing fans in America are drawn to this Philippine fighter who speaks fondly of his opponents before and after the fight, and at the same time manages to provide thrilling and exciting bouts every time out, even on the nights that his opponents are not good enough to really push and challenge him. They also love that he genuinely wants to prove he's the best and winning really means something to him. Add to that that he's a clean liver and stays out of trouble, there's nothing not to like about him.

Jul 24, 2005
Trainer Rodolfo “Rudy” Perez can guide Marcos Maidana to boxing glory

By Francisco Hernandez: Rodolfo “Rudy” Perez is not well known by the average casual boxing fan who has usually only heard of Freddie Roach. Rudy Perez is the trainer that formed and polished Marco Antonio Barrera into a great fighter and guided him to legendary status as a world champion. Rudy Perez outsmarted eminent trainer Emanuel Steward, when Perez’s strategy led to the embarrassing defeat of Prince Naseem Hamed at the fists of Barrera.

Rudy Perez also outwitted the celebrated trainer Ignacio “Nacho” Beristain. Beristain’s great pupil Rafael Marquez lost the last two fights of the historic trilogy with Israel Vasquez. Vazquez was not as technical as Marquez but trainer Perez’s strategy gave him an edge.

Rudy Perez has demonstrated that he can actualize the potential in talented fighters. But a good trainer is nothing without a great fighter. A great trainer can have all the knowledge in the world but if the fighters he works with are made of copper, his efforts will not go very far. After Marco Antonio Barrera and Israel Vasquez, Rudy Perez has been a great trainer without a great fighter. But now Rudy Perez has hit gold, Marcos Maidana has decided to put himself under his tutelage after being rejected by Nacho Beristain.

Rudy Perez is the trainer that can guide Maidana to the heights of boxing glory. If Maidana and Perez can form a harmonious team, Maidana will be almost impossible to beat in his prime. Maidana has never really lost a fight, but two fights were robbed from him by the judges and one referee. With Rudy Perez, Maidana can become a complete fighter, gaining the technical skill that he is missing. Maidana can become another invincible Julio Cesar Chavez in the junior welterweight division.

There is only one person that real boxing fans want to watch in the junior welterweight division, and that fighter is Marcos Maidana, he is the only fighter that brings excitement to his fights, that can guarantee action in this division. Without Maidana the other names in the division are outright boring, people think that Bradley vs. Alexander was a flop wait till you see the stinker of Khan vs. Bradley, it will be a sleeper.

If Rudy Perez and Marcos Maidana work out, we could be seeing a future legend in Marcos Maidana.

Jul 24, 2005
Macklin vs. Wright – Hatton vs. Alvarez

By Shaun Campbell: The next few months are big ones for British boxing. There’s middleweight contender Matthew Macklin (28-2 19KOs), who takes on future hall of famer Winky Wright (51-5 25KOs) in a world title eliminator. Then arguably one of the biggest success stories of recent years, Matthew Hatton (41-4 16KOs) is matched up to fight young Mexican prospect Saul Alvarez (35-0-1 26KOs). Macklin and Hatton have had contrasting roads to the top. Macklin, an impressive amatuer was expected to hit the professional game and take it by storm. But unfortunately injuries and a couple of losses meant that his career has been a bit of a slow burner. Macklin himself admits this. Hatton on the other hand was never expected to even challenge for a British title, let alone a world title. He has had to learn his trade as he’s gone along as he only had about 25 amateur fights. Matthew was going along with older brother Ricky for the ride in many people’s eyes.

However, all has come together for the two Matthew who trained side by side under Billy Graham at one stage in their career, and both who have been promoted by Hatton Promotions. Now they are both within 1/2 fights of claiming a world title. Both men face tough tasks though. Macklin takes on a man who has been in the top 5 pound for pound fighters in the past. Other than Floyd Mayweather, arguably the best defensive fighter in the world (when he was in his prime). Winky Wright is looking to reclaim one more world title before retiring. But he’s 39 now, and questions have to be asked about his desire, and his ability to beat a hungry young fight in Macklin. However, it is a 50/50 fight in which either man could win. The former European champion has struggled with opponents who had a style similar to Wright. His fights against Shalva Jomardashvili and Ruben Varon, have not been his best performances, but Macklin blames that on being under motivated. There’s no doubt that Wright will bring out the best in Macklin. If Macklin can set a fast pace and keep that pace up for the 12 rounds, then there’s a good chance that the younger man could walk away with a decision win. However, if Wright can show touches of his former classy-self, then him at his best should be too much for Matthew Macklin. But because of the timing, ambition and sheer strength, in my opinion Macklin will walk away with a close decision win.

As for the match up between Matthew Hatton and Saul Alvarez, it’s clear that Alvarez is the favourite. The unbeaten Mexican who has won all his fight except one which he drew much earlier in his career. Hatton is the underdog in this fight. It’s for the WBC light-middleweight title, meaning the Manchester man is stepping up a weight division for the first time in his career. The fight is set at a catch weight of 150 pounds, a weight in which Alvarez is familiar with. Hatton will be stepping up two maybe even three levels from his previous toughest opponents when he steps in the ring with Alvarez. Having said that, the man who many are calling “The New Golden Boy” has not faced anyone as ambitious or brave as Hatton. The mexican has faced former welterweight world champion Carlos Boldomir, however he was well past his best and never really looked like causing any danger to the unbeaten prospect. Hatton must use his much improved foot movement to stand a chance of winning, putting together sharp combinations, then moving away again. Although he did score a 3rd round TKO in his last fight with a bodyshot reminiscent of the kind brother Ricky would throw, Hatton is not big puncher. He has a massive task to climb but this is boxing and there’s always a chance of an upset. However in this case, it does look like Saul Alvarez will capture his first world title.

Both fights will be exciting in my opinion. For Macklin, it is a bit of a must win. If he loses he can only go backwards and maybe look at taking on Darren Barker for the European middleweight title again (a title Barker looks set to challenge for in upcoming months). For Hatton however, he can come again for a world title in the welterweight division against the WBA champion Viacheslav Senchenko. Both men hopefully can bring back world titles to Britain by the end of 2011, but face massive tasks to do so.

Finally I would like to add that this will be my last article for boxingnews24. I have enjoyed writing for this site in the past but due to certain factors such as some bias writers damaging the credibility of this site, I can’t give 100% to it anymore. Thanks to all the people who have enjoyed reading my pieces in the past, and I hope you have been inspired to maybe write a few articles yourself. Enjoy a great year of boxing in 2011.

May 13, 2002
Seattle
www.socialistworld.net
Bernard Hopkins - THE MOVIE
http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content9412.html

Shit's going to be a dope ass movie

Also James Toney's fatass won a 10 round boring decision over a complete bum last night. Toney weighed in at 257 pounds which is 19 pounds heavier then his heaviest weight in his career. I think they will air it on fox sports tomorrow if you want to see his titties shake

Jul 24, 2005
Klitschko in Play? Warren Grabs David Haye's May 21 Date

By Rick Reeno

Several strong sources have advised BoxingScene.com that promoter Frank Warren has secured the date of May 21 on Sky Sports. The details of Warren's show is expected in the next two weeks. The date of May 21 was previously reserved for WBA heavyweight champion David Haye (25-1, 23KOs).

The WBA had ordered Haye to defend his title against mandatory challenger Ruslan Chagaev. For the last few weeks, the proposed fight has been in limbo as the British Board of Control continues to review Chagaev's medical records. Chagaev's link to Hepatitis B would likely prevent him from being approved to fight in the country.

With Warren grabbing the date, there is growing speculation in England that Haye is going to accept an offer to fight WBO/IBO/IBF heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko (55-3, 49KOs) on July 2.

Klitschko is scheduled to defend his titles against unbeaten Dereck Chisora on April 30, and then there are plans to face Tomasz Adamek in September. But, Klitschko left the July date open to squeeze in a potential fight with Haye

Jul 24, 2005
Will Wladimir pull out of the Chisora bout again to fight Haye on 7/2?

By Sean McDaniel: WBA heavyweight champion David Haye gave a strong suggestion that he could be facing IBF/WBO heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko soon on July 2nd by a twitter message he left on his twitter account saying a fight with Klitschko “potentially being on the horizon.” If Haye and Wladimir do sign for a July 2nd fight, which is the only date they can fight because of Wladimir’s bout with Tomasz Admaek in September and Haye’s retirement in October, it means that Wladimir will have to pull out of his scheduled April 30th fight with unbeaten British heavyweight Dereck Chisora.

This is the same fighter that Wladimir was scheduled to fight in December last year but was unable to fight due to an abdominal injury Wladimir suffered while training in the week before the fight. This would obviously be a huge blow for Chisora to be left high and dry for a second time by Wladimir, but it has to be a possibility. The Haye fight is a much bigger fight with many more millions at stake compared to Wladimir’s tune-up fight with Chisora. On the one hand you have a mismatch between Wladimir and Chisora and on the other you have a toss up fight with Wladimir and Haye. I’m sure Chisora would be told that he can fight Wladimir at a later date, but what good is that if Wladimir loses to Haye? You know Haye won’t bother fighting Chisora if he wins, because he’ll likely be forced to fight Vitali Klitschko next. Chisora would be the forgotten man.

Jul 24, 2005
Roy Jones-Lebedev Negotiations Confirmed By Hryunov

By Ruslan Chikov & Yuri Tarantino (Allboxing.ru)

Vladimir Hryunov, manager of top cruiserweight Denis Lebedev (21-1, 16KOs) of Russia, has confirmed BoxingScene.com's report about a possible fight taking place with former four division champion Roy Jones Jr. (54-7, 40KOs) of the United States. There are ongoing negotiations to hold the fight in late April in Moscow.

"Indeed, those discussions are taking place. We are in very close contact with Jones' lawyer [John Wirt of Square Ring], and actually we only have a few more details to work out and I hope that we will reach an agreement soon. I don't think that it's going to take too long," Hryunov said.

Jul 24, 2005
Haye hints at Klitschko fight

By William Mackay: Instead of seeing a bout between WBA heavyweight champion David Haye (25-1, 23 KO’s) and challenger Ruslan Chagaev or Alexander Povetkin for May 21st, we could be seeing Haye vs. IBF/WBO heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko (55-3, 49 KO’s) on July 2nd. There’s a lot of talk that the fight will go ahead on this date and Haye is hinting that he could be facing Klitschko next.

Haye had this to say on his twitter: “Does some well overdue Klit licking potentially being on the horizon be something you may be interested in?”

Unless Haye takes the fight with Wladimir in July, this will be final chance that Haye has to fight the younger Klitschko before retiring from the sport in October. Haye doesn’t want to fight WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko, and said as much already. Who can blame him for not wanting to do that because it would be a sure loss for Haye and a likely embarrassing one as well. At least with Wladimir, Haye has a chance of knocking him out if he can get in close and nail him with rabbit punches while Wladimir is clinching.

That’s about the only way Haye can beat Wladimir, but there’s a great chance he could take him out this way if they fight. It’s better than nothing I suppose. Haye’s fights against Chagaev and/or Povetkin would be risky ones for him because these guys are much better than the aging heavyweights that Haye has been fighting since he moved up to the heavyweight division three years ago. Haye has been looking good against 38 and 39-year-olds but he may fight himself getting knocked around once he fights a younger heavyweight.

Jul 24, 2005
Nikolai Valuev Has Further Surgery Before His Return

By Ruslan Chikov

The former world champion of the WBA, heavyweight Nikolai Valuev (50-2, 34 KOs), has undergone another surgical procedure. This time the "Russian Giant" went to Germany for surgery to correct a problem with his nose. The 37-year-old boxer had multiple medical procedures in 2010 to correct injuries with his shoulder and hand. The operations have kept him away from the ring since November 2009, when he lost the title to David Haye

Jul 24, 2005
Khan says he’ll be the first to beat Bradley

Sean McDaniel: WBA Super World light welterweight champion Amir Khan (24-1, 17 KO’s) could be facing unbeaten WBC/WBO light welterweight champion Timothy Bradley (27-0, 11 KO’s) on July 23rd in Las Vegas, Nevada if Khan can beat his next opponent Paul McCloskey (22-0, 12 KO’s) on April 16th. Khan isn’t intimidated by Bradley, and has already noticed flaws in Bradley’s game.

Khan had this to say about Bradley in an interview at ringtv.com: “Bradley makes a lot of mistakes that people don’t capitalize on and I will. He cocks his punches sometimes, and he throws quick punches, punches with no power. It seems when he’s under pressure, he flicks his shots. And I don’t know why nobody has put him on back on back on his feet, pushed him back. I think I can do that…I’ll be the first to beat him. If he wants to come in with his head, he’ll get hit so hard. He’ll get hurt.”

Bradley has beaten a number of fighters, but his game style is usually one where he comes forward and mugs them in close with short punches without a lot of power. In fighting in close, Bradley often rams his head into his opponents, causing cuts. He’s tough to fight because he stays close and he’s always a threat to ram them with his head. It’s not that he’s trying to butt them with the crown of his head, but rather it’s a product of his short arms and crowding style of fighting.

It’s difficult to keep Bradley on the outside, because he has a fast inside move where he gets in close quickly by coming in low. Once he’s on the inside, he generally stays there. Khan is going to have problems trying to keep Bradley away, because it’s going to require constant movement. Once Khan stops for a second, Bradley will be on him head first, landing short punches with not a lot of power. They don’t need to be powerful, though, because he’s so good at smothering the offense of his opponents with his mauling style of fighting. Khan had better brush up on his inside game because he won’t be able to beat Bradley by shoving him or holding him like he did with Marcos Maidana when he came in close in their last fight.

None of this will matter, of course, if Khan can’t beat McCloskey on April 16th at the M.E.N Arena, in Manchester, England. Khan must beat McCloskey to get to Bradley.

Jul 24, 2005
Amir Khan: People Want Me To Beat Floyd Mayweather

By Terence Dooley

Amir Khan made a recent appearance on Sky Sport's ringside show to discuss Paul McCloskey, who challenges for Amir's WBA light-welterweight title on April 16, and the recent changes to his own training team.

"It is away from the distractions of home and it is great to be out your comfort zone," said Khan when asked why jets out to LA for his training. "You've got the best trainer here, Freddie Roach, the best fighter in Manny Pacquiao and the most famous gym in the world, The Wildcard Gym. I love coming to America and being treated like a normal person. People keep saying that I put a great performance in my last fight [a points win over Rene Marcos Madiana] and they want me to go on and beat [Floyd] Mayweather, I don't think people like him over here."

Amir's win over Rene silenced a lot of critics; the decision to fight EBU boss McCloskey, however, was greeted with derision in some quarters, with fans insisting that Khan should have waited for WBC and WBO boss Tim 'Desert Storm' Bradley, who has been pencilled in as Amir's opponent for a potential July 23 meeting should 'King' Khan turn back the Irishman's challenge. Khan shrugged off the criticism, insisting that his team chooses the opponents and he produces the performances.

"I never take any fight easy or think I'm going to knock the guy out. I train like a challenger and that is what I'm doing for this fight. McCloskey wants to be me and if I'm going to a number one pound-for-pound fighter one day that I have to keep winning. I will fight anyone in the world. I leave it to my team and focus on training. My team picks the opponent. I've fought everyone possible since I was eleven and have done that as a professional. To be known as a great champion you have to beat anyone out there," he revealed.

Alex Ariza is no longer part of Khan's team, the conditioner was sacked last month in controversial circumstances. Alex claimed foul play on the part of Team Khan, alleging that members of the champion's entourage tried to remove documents from his room. Khan's people have insisted that the parting of the ways was purely down to boxing reasons. Michael Vale has taken up conditioning duties.

"Something happened in the last training camp that I wasn't happy about. I changed to a new guy called Michael Vale, Freddie found him for me and Freddie is the boss. The new conditioner is really smart and will take me to that next level," says the 24-year-old titlst.