Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 24, 2005
Cloud wants fight with Cleverly

By Sean McDaniel: IBF light heavyweight champion Tavoris Cloud (21-0, 18 KO’s) wants a fight with #4 ranked WBO light heavyweight contender Nathan Cleverly (20-0, 10 KO’s) according to boxing news from frankwarren.tv. First, however, the 28-year-old Cloud has a title defense coming up on December 17th against Fulgencio Zuniga at the America Airlines Arena, in Miami, Florida.

Cleverly, 23, is also busy with a fight on December 11th against light heavyweight contender Alejandro Lakatos.

Cloud says “After I take Zuniga out, I’m looking for any of those guys, wherever. Pascal, Dawson. Shumenov? We will knock him out in [his home country of] Kazakhstan or wherever he want to meet at. Cleverly, Brahmer. Tell them all to put the money up. I’ll come to their hometown and knock them out.”

Although I would love to see Cleverly step it up and challenge Cloud for his IBF title, I seriously doubt that he’ll steered against Cloud. My guess is Cleverly, a weak puncher and still very young at 23, will be aimed at WBO light heavyweight champion Jurgen Braham instead, because he seems to be the weakest of the light heavyweight champions.

I don’t think Cleverly can hang with WBC light heavyweight champion Jean Pascal or WBA title holder Beibut Shumenov, both of whom can punch and have good boxing skills. Cleverly recently defeated Karo Murat by a 10th round TKO in September, but Cleverly showed zero defense in that fight and looked poor at times. Right now, I think Cloud would be way too good for Cleverly, and would likely annihilate him with his high work rate.

Jul 24, 2005
What makes boxing so great?

By Gerardo Granados: Boxing is a sport that holds a large tradition and history, according to the history experts boxing was invented by the Greeks, in the antique Olympic Games boxers squared off against each other to find out who was the best man.

Boxing became popular since his origin and spread worldwide, it took time but actually boxing is the most popular contact sport in the planet. The UFC and MMA are also great contact sports to watch and to practice, and no one can deny that they were born as an alternative for most boxing fans, and also the UFC and MMA have been very influenced by boxing; they do apply boxing techniques during their combats don’t they?

The promotion, TV broadcast and promoters of this new sports have its origins in boxing, don’t deny it, it cant be the other way around, boxing was the first major contact sport in the history of mankind and will keep that way because its in our nature to fight and dominate.
You don’t have to be a boxing expert to enjoy boxing, it won’t matter if you don’t know what is a jab or an uppercut, or if you are confused about in which side of the body the liver its located, footwork?

Majority draw? The best of all is that boxing its very simple, you have two boxers that step into the ring to find out who is the best, and they will fight to find out who is. Of course there are a lot of technical aspects, training, skills, guts, heart and blood involved in boxing; but even if you are not a boxing fan you will enjoy to watch the fight as much as an expert or as an average boxing fan. For me its even fun to watch the two new guys in the gym when both step in to the ring for the first time to face each other.

Also if you want to be in an excellent physical condition you better sign for boxing lessons, besides if by any circumstances you get into a brawl you will have an advantage.

Boxers aren’t all the same; there are different styles for the different preferences of boxing fans. Some prefer pure boxers, the ones that move a lot, with great defense, skilled with fast hands and amazing footwork, accurate and tactical, or the ones that can outpoint his rival countering him to win a fight; others prefer brawlers, the ones that comes after his rival swallowing punches with a steel chin, power punchers with an average technique but with a heart bigger than his chest; and there are the mix of all, there are the ones that have something special, not only physically they also have charisma and a magnetic personality.

Actually boxing have some issues to deal with, but they aren’t that hard to be fixed. And as long as there is testosterone inside your body, you always will find attractive to watch a fight, a boxing fight that is.

Jul 24, 2005
Roach Thinks Margarito Loaded Gloves During Sparring

By Mark Vester

Trainer Freddie Roach has once against stood by his opinion that Antonio Margarito likely knew about the hard plaster-like inserts that were found in his handswraps prior to a scheduled fight with Shane Mosley in January 2009. The California State Athletic Commission found him liable for the inserts and revoked his license in February 2009. The Texas Athletic Commission approved his application for a license in August, which allows him to moved forward with a scheduled fight with Manny Pacquiao on November 13 at Cowboys Stadium.

Roach knows numerous boxers who worked as sparring partners in Margarito's past training camps. Some of them have told Roach that Margarito "can't punch" and others told him "Margarito is the biggest puncher they ever faced."

While speaking with the media, Roach speculates that Margarito first experimented with the plaster-like inserts while sparring in the gym. During a recent BoxingScene.com interview, Roach said that he believes that Margarito may have loaded his gloves for both of his big wins in 2008, against Miguel Cotto and Kermit Cintron.

"I have people who sparred with Margarito in the past. Some tell me that he can't punch at all...that he hits like a girl. Some tell me 'he's the best f**king puncher that I ever faced.' He broke Rashad Holloway's eye socket. I think that he knew it and he practiced it and wanted to get a feel for it in the gym," Roach said.

"I wasn't there so I can't prove it. I just have to give my opinion. I think he knew it. He lost a couple of fights and after the fight with Paul Williams - things changed. His whole attitude and style was completely more confident. And at one point in Spanish, his trainer [Javier Capetillo] says 'how's the punch?' [in the Cintron rematch]. What does that mean? He didn't ask him - 'can that guy hit hard?' He said 'how's the punch' and [Margarito] says 'good.'

Jul 24, 2005
HBO's Head Sees Big Things For Williams-Martinez Winner

By Lem Satterfield

On November 20, at the Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, which is the site of their first meeting, Paul Williams and Sergio Martinez will go to war for a second time. Last December they traded knockdowns in the first round and went to war for the remaining eleven. Williams won a close majority decision. The rematch took a lot of effort to finalize. HBO Sports President, Ross Greenburg, spent a lot of time pushing both sides to reach an agreement.

"I guess that we drove everyone crazy in the process of getting this fight done again. We drove the parties in both camps crazy," said Greenburg. "But the reason for that is because, you know, I sat at ringside for their first fight, and it was a great fight. So, not only as the president of HBO sports, but also, as a fan, why wouldn't you want to see it again?"

Depending on the result, there might be a manifestation of interest in perhaps a clash between Manny Pacquiao and Williams, who once defeated Antonio Margarito in a welterweight bout, or one featuring Martinez against Magarito, who stopped Martinez by seventh-round knockout in February of 2000.

"Whoever wins between Martinez and Williams is obvously going to be on top of the world, and, whoever loses, is certainly not going anywhere. They are two, very gifted athletes who happen to be at a similar weight," said Greenburg.

"I think that that's really what this fight is about also. There are certain times when gifted athletes are in the boxing ring together, and Martinez and Williams are two of the best athletes in the ring today."

Jul 24, 2005
Cunningham: Khan Was Quiet Until We Signed for Bradley

By Lem Satterfield

Kevin Cunningham, manager and trainer of WBC junior welterweight champion Devon Alexander, is surprised with some of the recent comments that are being made by WBA champion Amir Khan. Alexander is scheduled to fight WBO champion Tim Bradley on January 29. Before a deal was reached for Alexander to unify with Bradley, Cunningham was trying to secure fights with opponents like Khan, Marcos Maidana and Victor Ortiz.

In the opinion of Cunningham, Khan stayed quiet until a deal was finalized between Alexander and Bradley.

"Amir Khan is basically dissing Devon and Tim. But basically, this guy, all of a sudden is doing all of this tweeting and all of these interviews and all of this talking right now," said Cunningham.

"But prior to Tim Bradley and Devon agreeing to fight one another, you couldn't get punks like Khan to step up to the plate and talk about fighting Tim or Devon. With Golden Boy Promotions having Khan, Maidana and Ortiz, there was no way that the were going to allow any of them to get near either Tim or Devon. The way we see it, after beating Tim Bradley, these guys won't matter."

Jul 24, 2005
Mike Tyson Backs Judah, Zab Arrives in New Jersey

Zab "Super" Judah landed at Newark Airport today to begin his final preparations to fight Argentine knock-out artist Lucas Matthysse at Newark's Prudential Center on Saturday, November 6th.

The voluble Judah plans to train in Teaneck at Body Shapers Gym and looks forward to being joined by fellow Brooklynite and Former World Champion Iron Mike Tyson, who will accompany him into the ring during the HBO "Boxing After Dark" broadcast.

Bill Halkias, VP Super Judah Promotions said, "Super Judah Promotions is excited to be part of an exciting night of boxing that includes what will be a night of fireworks between Zab Judah and Lucas Matthysse. Zab was very well aware of what he needed to do in training camp to get his 40th victory. He looks stronger and sharper than ever. " Halkias added, "Actions speak louder than words and at this point in Zab's life he chooses to allow his actions to speak for him. Please join us on November 6th at The Prudential Center in Newark and be part of history as Zab makes a bold statement on his way back to dominating the junior welterweight division."

"Super" Judah told us, "I'm excited to be back in Newark. I want to show my fans what a well prepared Super Judah is capable of. I've been training harder than ever for November 6th. I'm focused and in the best shape of my life. I want all my fans to join me at the Prudential Center. I promise it will be a night to remember. GODSPEED!"

Mike Tyson, added his support, "I watched Zab in the Gym a few days ago and he looked spectacular. Better than I've ever seen him before. I will be at The Prudential Center sitting front and center to support my friend Zab."

Jul 24, 2005
Kelly Pavlik injured, November 13th fight with Vera off

By Eric Thomas: Former WBC/WBO middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik just can’t seem to catch a break if he tried. Earlier today, it was announced by Dan Rafael of ESPN that Pavlik injured his rib while training for his November 13th bout against Bryan Vera on the undercard of the Manny Pacquiao vs. Antonio Margarito bout at the Cowboys Stadium, in Arlington, Texas. The injury is severe enough for Pavlik to pull out of the card. This is really bad news for Pavlik, because he was looking forward to getting the visibility that the card would have given him.

Pavlik was scheduled as the co-main event for the fight and he had the perfect opponent in Vera to look good against. Vera had lost four out of his last five fights and he would have been the ideal stationary opponent for Pavlik to shine against. Pavlik lost his last fight against Sergio Martinez and was badly beaten by the Spanish fighter.

Pavlik’s co-manager Cameron Dunkin says “I don’t know exactly what happened, but I was told by Jack Leow that he [Pavlik] had a rib injury a few days ago and might not be able to fight, and then he confirmed it to me.”

Pavlik has lost big fights against first Bernard Hopkins and then Martinez. This was supposed to have been Pavlik’s comeback fight for him to prove that he can still be a factor in the middleweight division. The fight was to take place at a 164 pound catchweight, but Pavlik still planned on fighting at middleweight

Jul 24, 2005
Harrison says Haye was knocked down in sparring by Tony Thompson

By Scott Gilfoid: Former 2000 Olympic Gold Medalist Audley Harrison says that WBA heavyweight champion David Haye was knocked down by his sparring partner Tony Thompson (34-2, 22 KO’s) recently, according to the Telegraph.co.uk. This isn’t a good sign for the 30-year-old Haye as he gets ready to take on Harrison on November 13th at the M.E.N. Arena, in Manchester, England. I can’t say I’m surprised at Haye getting knocked down by Thompson, though. The 39-year-old Thompson, 6’5″, is one of the best heavyweights in the division and he gave IBF/WBO heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko all kinds of problems in losing by a 11th round TKO in 2008.

Indeed, the southpaw Thompson landed more shots on Wladimir than any other opponent for the Ukrainian during his career. Unfortunately, Thompson eventually folded under the big power shots from Wladimir. Thompson’s height, long reach and southpaw stance made it difficult for Wladimir.

Harrison had this to say about Haye being knocked down by Thompson: “I heard David Haye’s brought in Tony Thompson and they’re making a big thing of it. I want Haye to tell me and the rest of the world what Tony Thompson did to him a couple of weeks ago, because I heard Tony Thompson knocked him down in training.”

Oh this is bad. Haye is getting dropped by his sparring partners and he still hasn’t even fought Harrison yet. But in fairness to Haye, I think Thompson is a better heavyweight than him and would beat him if he were to fight him. Before the loss to Wladimir, Thompson was considered to be the best of the heavyweight contenders in the division. I don’t see that having changed much. Thompson is a little older but still very good and recently beat Chazz Witherspoon and Owen Beck, stopping both of them inside the distance.

There’s no shame in getting knocked down by a quality fighter like Thompson, especially when I see him as a better heavyweight than Haye. I have no doubts that Thompson would be the WBA heavyweight champion of the world if he had been matched up against the heavyweights that Haye has fought since moving up in weight in 2008. Haye has fought 38-year-old Monte Barrett, 36-year-old Nikolay Valuev and 38-year-old John Ruiz. I see Thompson easily beating all three of them and doing a cleaner job of beating them. Thompson would have likely schooled Valuev and taken Ruiz and Barrett without ugly rabbit punches.

Jul 24, 2005
Brandon Rios To Replace Pavlik, Vanes Gets a Bump

By Ernest Gabion

With the unexpected injury to former middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik, BoxingScene.com has learned that Top Rank is going to do some last minute shuffling. Pavlik was slated to face Brian Vera in the co-feature position on the Manny Pacquiao vs. Antonio Margarito pay-per-view on November 13 at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas. Top Rank's CEO Bob Arum confirmed to BoxingScene that Pavlik suffered a rib injury in training camp.

Taking Pavlik's place on the card will be undefeated lightweight contender Brandon Rios. He was originally slated to see action on Top Rank's scheduled pay-per-view in Anaheim, California on December 4. Junior middleweight contender Vanes Martirosyan, also scheduled for the card in Anaheim, will now get elevated to the televised portion of the card in place of Rios. The opponents for both should be finalized shortly.

Jul 24, 2005
Roach doesn’t think Pacquiao-Mayweather will happen

By Chris Williams: In the latest boxing news, trainer Freddie Roach says he doesn’t ever see a mega fight between his fighter Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. ever happening, according to an interview at Yahoo Sports.

Roach, who’s currently training Pacquiao for a bout against Antonio Margarito on November 13th, says “I don’t think it will ever happen. It will be one of those fights we’re never going to see. It would’ve happened by now. All that money on the table … how can you turn it down? Boxing’s a sport, but it’s a business also. The world knows that Floyd is ducking Manny Pacquiao at this point. Floyd’s going to be content with fighting mediocre-type opponents, opponents with styles he knows he can beat.”

Roach needs to take a good look at his own fighter Pacquiao as well for part of the blame for the Pacquiao-Mayweather fight not taking place. There was a golden opportunity for the fight to be made during the first negotiations earlier this year in January and February. However, Pacquiao didn’t want to agree to take random blood tests two weeks before the fight like Mayweather wanted.

Pacquiao would only agree to taking the blood tests up to three weeks before the fight because he felt weakened when blood was removed from his body. I see the first fight being missed because of Pacquiao. However, during the second negotiations after Pacquiao whipped Joshua Clottey, I put that on Mayweather not wanting to fight for some reason.

I have no idea why Mayweather didn’t want to fight Pacquiao at that time, but I can only guess it was because he had already made a ton of money in his win over Shane Mosley on May 1st and because of that, he wasn’t eager to get back in training for a bout with Pacquiao that would have taken place in November. But, yeah, I put that on Mayweather. He could have taken the fight if he wanted to, but what can you say? He made a ton of money and really didn’t have the urge to fight Pacquiao at the time.

As for Roach thinking the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight will never happen, I think he’s wrong. As soon as Mayweather burns through all the money he made in the Mosley fight, he’ll be more than willing to get in the ring with Pacquiao and school him. The only thing is Pacquiao might be retired by then. Pacquiao is talking about fighting only three more times, which means he likely will be ending his career late next year in 2011.

If Mayweather can’t or is unwilling to fight Pacquiao at that time, then I don’t see the fight ever happening. It would help matters if Bob Arum doesn’t start scheduling Pacquiao up against other guys so quickly. He needs to make sure that Mayweather is being offered the fight each time. If he declines to fight Pacquiao after the Margarito fight, then by all means Arum should go ahead and match Pacquiao up with whichever Top Rank fighter he has available in his stable.

Jul 24, 2005
HBO Pres Unsure Why Mayweather Turned Pacquiao Down

By Lem Satterfield

In late July, following the second round of failed negotiations for a Floyd Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao clash, HBO Sports President Ross Greenburg acknowledged that he acted as a mediator between Pacquiao's promoter Bob Arum, Top Rank Promotions' CEO, and Mayweather's manager, Al Haymon, even as Golden Boy Promotions' president, Oscar De La Hoya, and Mayweather's adviser, Leonard Ellerbe, had denied that negotiations took place.

According to Greenburg, the fight was close to being made during both rounds of negotiations. The second time around, Mayweather turned the fight down without reason. To date, Greenburg was never provided with an explanation from Mayweather or his handlers.

"Both times, the fight was very close to being made. And, the second time around, you know, all that I can say is that you would have to ask Floyd Mayweather why the fight wasn't made. To this day, I really don't know why Floyd decided that he didn't want the fight any more in the fall," Greenburg said.

"To this day, I don't know why he wanted to take some more time off. Only Floyd has that answer. I certainly don't have that answer. But, you know, it was very close. It was so, so, close. I think that it was so close that I don't think that it's going to take much to make the fight the third time around."

If Mayweather can clear up his outstanding legal issues, and Pacquiao defeats Antonio Margarito on November 13, Greenburg appears confident that a Mayweather-Pacquiao encounter has a good chance of happening in 2011.

"I have to remain optimistic. But before we get there, there are a lot of things in the way. One of those things is Antonio Margarito. The other is Floyd Mayweather having to deal with his personal life in Las Vegas. Those are two, big obstacles. But if we can clear those hurdles, then, I'm pretty optimistic about that fight happening if we get a shot at making it again. I have to be optimistic," Greenburg said.

Jul 24, 2005
Glen Johnson Talks Green Fight, Super Six, Making Weight

By Ryan Burton

Former light heavyweight champion Glen "The Road Warrior" Johnson spoke to BoxingScene.com about his upcoming fight versus Allan Green. The fight takes place November 6th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. It is the co-main event to the Juan Manuel Lopez-Rafael Marquez WBO featherweight title fight. Johnson, who is replacing the injured Mikkel Kessler in the Super Six tournament, talks about the keys to victory, moving down in weight and more in this exclusive interview.

BoxingScene.com: How is training going for your upcoming fight with Allan Green?

Glen Johnson: Training is good man. I have had a wonderful camp. Everything is right on schedule and we are looking forward to the fight on Saturday.

BoxingScene.com: A lot has been made of the fact that you are coming down to 168 pounds which is a weight that you haven't fought at in about 10 years. A press release that circulated over a week ago stated that you were already down to 171 pounds. The obvious question is how have you been able to do it?

Glen Johnson: Just following instructions you know. My nutritionist is giving me a specific eating schedule and telling me what to eat. I am following the schedule. That plus the hard work that I am doing is helping it all come together nicely. She knows what she is doing and the hard work I am doing is paying off.

BoxingScene.com: How does it feel to be in the Super Six? When this tournament started I am sure you wouldn't have dreamed about being a participant and now less than 3 months after your loss to Tavoris Cloud you are just one win away from making the semi finals of the tournament.

Glen Johnson: You are exactly right. I didn't even think of being in the tournament. When the Super Six first came out I was the biggest fan of it. If you know anything about me you know I am a big fan of boxing and a big fan of the best fighting the best and with the Super Six they take the best six guys and they match them up. I think its the best thing boxing can do and boxing needs to do more of that.

BoxingScene.com: You have sparred with Allan Green on many occasions and I have heard that you did very well against him in those sessions. We know sparring and a real fight are two different things so how does it feel to be fighting him in a real fight?

Glen Johnson: For me to fight him is (pause) see Allan Green is a friend of mine. I hoped I was fighting somebody else but it is what it is. I am going to go in there and do my business. I am a professional and this is for a big deal. That is the reason why I am fighting him. I wouldn't fight him under any regular circumstances but I couldn't pass up this opportunity. You just gotta go out there and run with it and may the best man win.

BoxingScene.com: I'm am sure you saw his last fight versus Andre Ward. He definitely didn't look like himself. Give us your thoughts on that fight.

Glen Johnson: I saw it when it first happened. I am not paying too much attention to that because I know Allan Green and I know something was wrong with him. I don't know what it is but I know that is not the Allan Green that I know.

BoxingScene.com: You just had a close fight with Tavoris Cloud where the two of you basically stood toe to toe and banged the whole 12 rounds. Are you to try to force Allan Green to fight that way?

Glen Johnson: I am just going to be Glen Johnson. I am not going to be anybody else and I am going to bring what I bring. I just have to do it smart and I will. I am looking forward to this fight. It is a fight for a big deal and I want to be part of that big deal.

BoxingScene.com: What do you think he is going to do in the ring? I am sure you don't expect him to stand and trade with you. Do you think he is going to use a lot of movement and try to outbox you?

Glen Johnson: You know, I have no idea what his plans are. He can trade (punches) or he can box. Whatever he chooses to do I just have to deal with it. I have all game plans in place and I am prepared for anything. Allan Green is a veteran with a lot of skills and a lot of talent and I know he is going to unleash his skills and I know I have to be careful.

BoxingScene.com: Have you heard when the semi finals of the Super Six are going to start? Assuming you get the win like you plan when do you think you will be fighting again?

Glen Johnson: I haven't heard anything yet. They haven't given me much information or anything. The only information that I have been given so far has been this fight.

BoxingScene.com: Give us your opinion on the fight between Juan Manuel Lopez and Rafael Marquez who fight in the main event of your fight. Who do you think will win?

Glen Johnson: Aw man that is a tough one. I want to say Lopez but that is a tough one. That is one of those 50-50 fights.

BoxingScene.com: Do you have a message for the fans?

Glen Johnson: The fans have been with me through the ups and downs. I am glad they are hanging around to see something special. I am looking forward to bringing that to them in this tournament.

BoxingScene.com: You always put on a good show. Good luck in the fight.

Glen Johnson: Thanks. I appreciate that

Jul 24, 2005
Hatton wishes he had made Pacquiao agree to testing for their fight

By Sean McDaniel: Former two division world champion Ricky Hatton says he wishes he had Manny Pacquiao agreeing to the same testing rules as he did for his two failed bouts with Floyd Mayweather Jr. Speaking to the thenational.ae, Hatton said “I could have had those rules, but I wasn’t bothered. Maybe in hindsight, I should have done. I must admit, I fancied my chances against Manny. A few years ago he was getting knocked down by little men like [Juan Manuel] Marquez; then all of a sudden he is knocking out Oscar de la Hoya, myself and [Miguel] Cotto, who are powerhouses in comparison. It is a little bit strange. He could be on what Floyd is accusing him of [performance-enhancing substances], or it could be that he is just a great fighter who has improved. We will never know.”

Yes, Hatton should have pushed for the random blood testing for performance enhancing drugs for his fight with Pacquiao in 2009 if he was worried about it. Now, it’s too late for Hatton do anything. He was knocked out viciously in the 2nd round and his career went down the tubes in that fight. Hatton hasn’t fought since then because he’s lost his drive for the sport.

It’s unfortunate that Hatton wasn’t more assertive in his fight with Pacquiao in terms of pushing for drug testing. Hatton certainly had the clout to ask for the testing to be done. Whether he would have gotten Pacquiao to agree to it is another matter. It’s too bad because Hatton seems to be torn apart by the loss and it’s never a good thing when you’re not certain about what the outcome would have been like under different circumstances.

The only way Hatton can rest these fears is by getting back in the ring and beating a couple of fighters in quick fights, and then pushing for a rematch with Pacquiao. That’s the way Hatton needs to do it if he wants to clear his head from the memory of his loss to Pacquiao.

Hatton thinks Mayweather would have beaten Pacquiao, saying “I think Floyd is too good defensively. He is so hard to hit, and I think he might ultimately just have a few too many tricks up his sleeves for Manny.” It might be a good thing for Pacquiao that he and Mayweather haven’t fought

Jul 24, 2005
The Forgotten Fighter

November 2nd, 2010
By Louise Clarke: The Light middleweight division is currently packed with big names and big fights that people want to see. However switch the clock back three or four years and it wasn’t even a shadow of the division it once was. But there was a few stand-out fighters.

One of these stand-out fighters is a Ukrainian southpaw. He is appropriately nicknamed Razor mainly due to his sharp jab. He is a typical East European fighter with a very upright style and a good jab. An added bonus is that he does have an ability to knock people out with 23 of his 37 wins coming by knockout however he has only won two fights by knockout since he has entered the world title scene. Any idea who this is yet?

No? Don’t be surprised you’re in the majority! You want some more clues? Well he is a highly decorated amateur with a world silver medal and has a record of 195-25. Impressive! A few years ago Antonio Margarito said he didn’t know who he was!

No? Well I’ve ran out of clues. His name is Sergiy Dzinziruk! He is the current WBO light-middleweight world champion. He is only rated 24th in the world by Boxrec. But he is unbeaten and a very skilled fighter who uses his jab and lateral movement well. He has never been put in trouble. The closest he has been to a defeat was a majority decision where the other two judges had him winning by margins of 2 and 8. So why isn’t he rated higher?

Lack of quality fighters on his resume? I suppose it’s a fair argument to make but when he beat Daniel Santos in 2005, Santos was coming off the back of a win over Antonio Margarito. A Joel Julio who looked for a while like he was back to his old form. It could also be the lack of exposure to American TV. The one fight he has had on American TV was his most recent fight, against Daniel Dawson a over-matched American and despite Dzinziruk putting on a typical good performance I hardly expect it captured the imagination of many Americans?

But is the future bright for Dzinziruk? Unfortunately time is against him at 34. This should mean he will be packing in the big fights in his career. However for the Cotto’s and Martinez’s of the division it is too high risk- low gain. His fight in 2 months against Ricardo Mayorga is a major fight. Mayorga is a big name and a draw. The exposure he deserved 4 years ago is arriving but probably too late to have much of an impact on the career of Sergiy Dzindiruk. So he will remain as the forgotten man of the Light-Middleweight Division.

Jul 24, 2005
Mikey Garcia May Replace Vanes Martirosyan on 12/4

By Rick Reeno

BoxingScene.com was advised that undefeated featherweight contender Mikey Garcia (23-0, 19KOs) will likely replace Brandon Rios on the televised portion of Top Rank's scheduled pay-per-view on December 4 at the Honda Center in Anaheim, California. The main event will feature Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. vs. Alfonso Gomez.

Rios was pulled off the show by Top Rank in order to replace the injured Kelly Pavlik, who withdrew on Monday from his scheduled fight on the Manny Pacquiao-Antonio Margarito pay-per-view undercard, which takes place on November 13 at Cowboys Stadium in Texas.

The original plan was to have Vanes Martiroysan replace Rios, but BoxingScene has learned that the unbeaten Armenian doesn't have enough time to get ready for a fight on December 4. Vanes has spent very little time with his trainer, Freddie Roach, who is currently training both Pacquiao and Amir Khan for their upcoming fights. Additionally, Vanes is pushing for a fight with WBO champion Sergei Dzinziruk.

A final decision should be made in the next few days.

Jul 24, 2005
Investigation Hit: Briggs Fined $75K For Danny Green Fight

By Mark Vester

The investigation by the Western Australian Professional Sports Commission is over. IBO cruiserweight champion Danny Green was cleared of any possible wrongdoing for his July 29-second knockout win of Paul Briggs at the Challenge Stadium in Perth. The same can't be said about Briggs. Fans and local writers were screaming that Briggs took a clear dive after Green knocked him out with a left jab that barely connected to the top of the head.

The fight had trouble getting approved and was forced to do a last minute switch to Perth. The reason for the trouble was because Briggs had retired over three years ago and there were rumors that he was suffering from serious neurological issues.

During the investigation, Briggs came clean and made admissions that he was still suffering from numerous health issues. The Western Australian Professional Sports Commission has ordered him to pay a fine of $75,000 for failing to reveal he had health issues prior to the contest. Briggs made $200,000 for the fight.

"Paul Briggs, by not disclosing at any time to the examining doctors, his opponent or the professional sports combat commission the complete picture of his medical condition in relation to his nervous system... has participated in a sham contest," AAP reported a commission spokesman as saying.

The commission also passed on details of a number of unusually high bets on a first round knockout win for Green to local police.

"That material has been referred to the Commissioner of Police, as the police are the appropriate body to deal with any issues that, in their opinion may arise from that documentation," the commission's report said.

Green defends the title against undefeated BJ Flores on November 17.

Jul 24, 2005
Nonito Donaire Talks Sidorenko, Montiel, Training, More

By Chris Robinson

Nonito Donaire’s 2010 campaign hasn’t played out fully the way he had hoped but he looks to be getting a great parting gift in the form of a clash with bantamweight champion Fernando Montiel early next year in Las Vegas if everything goes according to plan. Donaire is slated for a December 4th encounter with former titlist Wladimir Sidorenko at the Honda Center in Anaheim, California underneath the Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.-Alfonso Gomez meeting and while the bout isn’t one to get anyone’s blood boiling it is significant in many regards.

Donaire is currently training out of the Undisputed Boxing Gym in San Carlos, California and has roughly a month to go before putting the Ukrainian to the test. Donaire is one of the most unique talents in the sport because of his tremendous counterpunching, speed, athleticism and unorthodox nature but those gifts have also seemed to hinder him as he hasn’t been able to find the fights he truly desired since his breakout victory over Vic Darchinyan over three years ago.

Talented yet avoided in many regards, Donaire’ frustrations had been evident in recent years but even in the often cruel sport of boxing good things end up coming to those who wait. During a recent conversation with the 27-year old I was able to gather his thoughts on his training, his mindset heading into the fight, the looming Montiel clash, purchasing a new home in Las Vegas and much more.

Continue reading below for all of Donaire’s thoughts…

The element of sparring…
“So far we have sparring guys coming in already. I have my trainer here and so far, so good. Sparring to me is important. It is one of the important things in training. It’s what is going to get me in better shape. You’re simulating who you are fighting and pretty much just trying to get in good shape.”

Training at Undisputed in San Carlos, CA…
“I have a time where really nobody is there so I have the entire gym to myself. I got my guy Michael Bazzel who is my strength trainer and he helps out a lot of the guys. I’m just preparing, doing a lot of plyometrics and overall it’s really good. It’s like a family thing in that gym and everybody is really cool. We have boxing and M M A so anyone who goes to that gym can learn different type of arts.”

Fighting his fight…
“Pretty much I focus more on what I bring to the table because I want them to fight my fight, not me fight their fight. I go out there and I don’t really study much. My coaches will tell me that this guy does this and that guy does that and we pretty much just try to come up with a game plan. I pretty much just go out there and try to make my style be dominant. Just trying to make them fight my fight, that’s what I need to do for whatever style comes up. I am always versatile in that sense.”

Outside of the gym…
“I relax. Once I am out of that gym I usually just relax, watch TV or go online and study a little bit. That’s what I do. There are a lot of things that keep me away from boxing. But when I am there I am eager to learn. You can’t help sometimes to think about it. To me, I am a thinker and I always think about what kind of plan I can use and stuff like that.”

The feeling of victory…
“It’s pretty much a personal victory for me in the sense that I put my game plan together and I executed everything. That’s a good victory. For my victories now, everyone is in there. All the people that support me, everybody that cared about me fighting or was eager to see me fight. All the supporters, the people in the Philippines, they all come and give me the determination. It becomes a sweet victory when I think about tit. When I win it becomes that. It’s not just about me. In a personal note, if I accomplish my game plan when I execute.”

Eyeing the competition…
“For me as a fighter I will fight anybody. All I know is that I signed a contract and I am ready to get past Sidorenko. I know that he is a tough opponent and I am looking to make a statement by beating this guy and getting ready to face [Fernando] Montiel. I am always going to call out Montiel. All I know I am fighting in February after this fight against Montiel because I signed that contract. I just have to defeat Sidorenko and I am getting set on fighting him in February.”

Open media workout on November 6th…
“The thing with that is that it’s going to be in the O.C. at the Reign Gym. That’s Mark Munoz’ gym. We are just trying to put Mark Munoz with Boxing, and Filipino pride and do a public workout out there so the people around the area, from L.A. to Anaheim to the O.C. will check it out and get to know me and what I am all about. Maybe they will be interested to see me in the fight and we can pull them to go to the Montiel fight in Vegas. We are always trying to shoe what the Filipino flash can show.”

Purchasing a new home in Las Vegas…
“Vegas is the boxing capital. Everything is going to be easier when it comes to dealing with a lot about boxing. We like the place, it’s pretty nice. It’s our very first place and we are excited. We’re happy to be there and feel that you aren’t even in Las Vegas. It’s something that we have been looking forward to.”

Jul 24, 2005
Cleverly: When It's Time, I'll End Tavoris Cloud's Career

Welsh star Nathan Cleverly is flattered by all the sudden attention shown to him by American rival Tavoris Cloud.

The unbeaten Welshman is currently in training for his WBO Interim World Light-Heavyweight title fight against Alejandro Lakatus on December 11 in Liverpool, but IBF champ Cloud has already threatened to KO Cleverly in Wales.

Cleverly said, "I don't know how Cloud developed this infatuation with me, but I'm flattered by all this attention, although his head seems to be in the clouds about fighting me!"

"He's saying that he'll shorten my career, we'll I'm telling him that I'll put an end to his when the time is good and ready,"

"The wins over Glen Johnson and Clinton Woods were impressive, but I'm a fresh young fighter and will only get better as I mature,"

"That's all I'm saying about Cloud for now, I'm focusing on my fight against Lakatus and I wish Cloud all the best against Flugencio Zuniga a week after me."

Jul 24, 2005
Pacquiao, Margarito, Roach, Arum Discuss The Big Fight

By Michael Marley

WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao and Antonio Margarito took part in a media conference call to discuss their upcoming fight on November 13 at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas. Trainers Freddie Roach, Robert Garcia and promoter Bob Arum were also on the call.

MANNY PACQUIAO ON SUPPOSED PROBLEMS, DISTRACTIONS IN CAMP:

“I have trained hard. There is no distractions, nothing to worry about. This is why we're not worried about the fight. I can fight the bigger guys even though I'm small. We always believe in our talent.

“To the fans...nothing to worry about me, I have time for politics, I have time for boxing...

“I will not retire, I can still fight..

“He is a bigger guy, taller and with a reach advantage which is (why) we have a better plan for him and this why we are not worried about the fight.”

PACMAN ON SIGNING 'IMAGINE' WITH WILL FERRELL ON THE JIMMY KIMMEL SHOW:

“It was good, it was something I am having fun with. Will Ferrell...he's a funny guy.”

ANTONIO MARGARITO ON ANY PAST FOE BEING COMPARABLE:

“None. I know he's a guy with speed. I am bigger but I don't have any big advantage because he has proven he can punch at this weight. I just want to get up in the ring and see what we can do..”

FREDDIE ROACH ON MARGARITO'S SHADY PAST:

“He was suspended, he did his year and he's a free man now. He will do lots of punching so it won't be like the (Joshua) Clottey fight. I don't see any issues but it doesn't change the past. Margarito has everything to gain and nothing to lose.”

On capitalizing on Margarito's errors...

”He has some fast hands and throws combinations but he does make mistakes and he has too many bad habits. We will take advantage of all of them.”

ANTONIO MARGARITO ON HIS BIG CHANCE:

I thank God for getting this great opportunity, I will take full advantage of this. I know how hard it was to make this fight.”

(Re: his experience in the 21 months since the handwrap incident)....

”Boxing is a book that is continually being written. I just have to go and learn as much as possible in life and in boxing.”

BOB ARUM ON THE MARGARITO SCANDAL, SUSPENSION:

“I do not believe Antonio Margarito knew anything that was in those handwraps. I believe the revocation of his license was unfounded. I am delighted that Antonio came through all of this. I'm delighted that Texas saw the true facts of this situation. And I am delighted to be the promoter of this fight. Freddie and Manny are entitled to their opinion (on Margarito cheating in past bouts) but I disagree with them.”

FREDDIE ROACH ON ANY HANDWRAP ISSUES:

“I am a professional, I will do my job. That was in the past but this fight will be (conducted) on equal terms. It will be on the up and up and equal as to their handwraps.”

ARUM ON THE LIVE GATE AT COWBOYS STADIUM:

“We're still tracking well ahead of the Clottey fight which drew 51,000 people and change. It is all good and we will go over 60,000.”

ARUM ON THE PACQUIAO WORLDWIDE ARMY (PWA):

“Manny is idolized by every Filipino in the Philippines and every place around the world. It's something, a phenomenon I have never seen before and I have promoted Muhammad Ali, Sugar Ray Leonard and George Foreman

May 13, 2002
Seattle
www.socialistworld.net
smh, James Kirkland back to jail. Looks like it will be a short visit though...

Junior middleweight James Kirkland is incarcerated again but should be released by the end of the week, co-manager Cameron Dunkin told ESPN.com on Wednesday.

Kirkland, 26, was released from a federal prison near his hometown of Austin, Texas, into a halfway house on Sept. 30 after serving 17 months for pleading guilty to gun possession by a convicted felon.

Kirkland (25-0, 22 KOs) had been living in an Austin halfway house and training for his comeback fight against Delray Raines, which is scheduled for Dec. 11 on the Amir Khan-Marcos Maidana undercard in Las Vegas.

"[Kirkland] was at the gym and ran down to get a custom mouthpiece from a dentist in town when the probation officer came by and he wasn't there," Dunkin said. "I guess that's a violation and the probation officer said they were going to have a hearing on this because you're not allowed to leave the gym at all when you're in training. You're supposed to be where you're supposed to be. He was gone for an hour or something, not a big deal, but he got punished."

Dunkin said the incident happened late last week and he was informed of it by co-manager Michael Miller.

"He's got to do a week at the county jail, so he should be out in a couple of days," Dunkin said. "He didn't lose his bed or his spot at the halfway house."

Dunkin said the December fight will go forward, assuming Kirkland is released when expected.

"Michael Miller told me everything is being dealt with and that James wasn't where he was supposed to be," Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer, Kirkland's promoter, said. "You can't just take off, even if it's for getting a mouthpiece. You need to inform your probation officer that, 'Hey, I'm going to be gone for 15 minutes.' Miller said everything will be OK.

"The return of James Kirkland to the ring is a much-anticipated event for us, for fight fans and, of course, for James. So we are excited about having him back, but we don't want to do anything that will interfere with him dealing with what he has to deal with. If he can fight, great. As long as everything is being dealt with properly, great. We as his promoter are committed to James and are as excited as the fans to have him back. But let's not do anything stupid to jeopardize it. Let's get everything resolved. We don't want to put any unnecessary pressure on him or anyone."