Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 24, 2005
Exclusive Interview With B.J Flores - "I'm Beyond Frustrated!"

by James Slater - Undefeated cruiserweight contender B.J Flores is in Manchester, U.K right now, having come over to both spar with and support good friend David Haye ahead of the WBA heavyweight champ's defence against John Ruiz.

Having sparred a good number of rounds with "The Hayemaker," Flores is more than qualified to make a prediction for how tomorrow night's fight will go. Also in the following interview he was kind enough to give me earlier today, B.J spoke about his own career..

Here are Flores' answers to my questions:

James Slater: As always, it's great to speak with you, B.J. You're in Manchester, UK now, of course, and you've been sparring with David Haye ahead of his fight with John Ruiz. How has David been looking in sparring?

B.J.Flores: What's up brother? Yeah, David's looking fantastic. What he's done is, he's been focused because he's known for quite some time it's gonna be a tough fight for him, so he's really worked hard in training camp to make sure the best David Haye comes in and I really think that's what we will see. He's really clamping down to make sure he's ready for tomorrow night.

J.S: How many rounds would you say you've spared with Haye for this fight?

B.J.F: Well, Adam [Booth] doesn't spar his guys too much, but I would say we did about four or five sessions, with four or five rounds per session.

J.S: And in terms of predictions, what's going to happen tomorrow night? Would you care to pick a round?

B.J.F: No, I'm not gonna say a round. I'm just gonna say, you know, John has improved a ton - he's so much abetter fighter under new trainer Miguel Diaz, he's a much better fighter and John seems like he's in a much better place mentally. He's at peace with himself. He's been at the mountain top so many times, he's a very good, solid fighter and I think a lot of people underestimate him. I think he beats almost every heavyweight out there - but the different dimensions, the different things Haye will present, will give Ruiz some real problems. It will be a tough, close fight, but I like David at home and I like David with his athleticism. But I don't think this is John's last opportunity, to be honest with you, even if he doesn't win tomorrow night, I think he'll still have some good stuff to offer the division.

J.S: That's interesting, but let's move onto your career, B.J. Are you going to be fighting on June 26th? and who against? The names we've heard are Troy Ross and Eric Fields, but they may be looking elsewhere? Are they both out now?

B.J.F: Well, it looks like Ross is going to be fighting [Steve] Cunningham's, so obviously that's a good move for him, not having to fight me. He made the right decision, he's in a good position and he really doesn't want to risk anything with his rated position. Eric Fields is definitely out, he turned it down. So we're trying to look for someone else and we'll see who fits the bill.

J.S: Do you plan on fighting on June 26th, though - a hundred-percent?

B.J.F: It's not a hundred-percent, because I'm still looking for a fight! Square Ring, who I'm still under contract with until August, they don't have anything for me. It's really, really difficult.

J.S: Are you feeling frustrated now, B.J - at not being able to get the fights you want?

B.J.F: James, I'm beyond frustrated. I would never choose to be out of the ring for eight months, but that's what happened. I was supposed to go to Australia, with the Roy Jones and Danny Green fight, but I was pulled out at the last second - and Square Ring, they don't have any dates for me. So that's the bottom line of why I've been out of the ring for eight months. Even for the April 3rd fight [tomorrow], at the last second, when I was already in England, they called me and said do I want to fight Ismayl Sillakh, at 190pounds! I'm like, why would I want to fight a guy who is 11-0 and try to make 190-pounds?

J.S: It would have been great to see you on tomorrow's card. But anyway, the last time we talked, you did say Marco Huck - who I know you've tried so hard to get a fight with and are probably sick to the back teeth of talking about - would face Adam Richards next, as he did. He won inside three-rounds. Did you see that fight?

B.J.F: Yes I did, I saw it on You Tube. I actually thought Adam Richards would go a little longer in the fight, but it's like I say - he's [Richards] had, what, one fight at cruiserweight. You don't just go from having no fights at cruiserweight to fighting for a world title. He's a tough kid, but Huck showed he's in two different leagues, and Sauerland knows who he [Huck] can beat and they'll keep sticking him in with certain styles. Brian Minto is the next fight. He's a tough kid as well, but his style is not gonna stand up to Huck.

J.S: You think Huck will stop Minto?

B.J.F: Yeah, I think he will. The reason, is because Minto's never had a fight at cruiserweight, and it's tough to see how he's gonna do at the weight. Also, he's coming off a big knockout loss to Chris Arreola. And just because he's coming down in weight, it doesn't mean the cruiserweights don't have heart. He's going to find out the guys are very strong at that weight, and him losing enough weight to get down might be a determent to him instead of something he can take advantage of. You know, it takes time, you don't want to drop down so quick - as Antonio Tarver said, it's not that easy to drop down and fight - especially into a world title fight, and Saureland knows that.

J.S: There may be a big fight for you against Danny Green though, is that a possibility?

B.J.F: James, I've been in camp with eight different heavyweight champions - guys like David Haye, Hasim Rahman, Sergei Liakhovich, Ruslan Chagaev. I know I can compete with the best cruiserweights; I just want that opportunity. You know, I've chased Marco Huck and he's fought Richards and Minto. I get it that they don't want to fight a guy who is young, undefeated and hungry. But Danny Green would be a great fight - if he really wants to prove himself, he has to fight a top cruiserweight. I'm very willing to go over there and I think we'd put on a great fight. It would be a great event in Australia. But I can't sit around forever and wait for these fights. I've easily got a few good years ahead of me, I take real good care of myself. But I want to get these big wins now, not in four or five years!

J.S: Can I get your prediction on Jones-Hopkins II, which also takes place tomorrow.

B.J.F: I like Jones to win a close decision. I think Jones will do enough, I like Jones to win, I really do. People can call me crazy or whatever they want but I think Roy has a good style for Bernard and also a mental edge on Bernard.

J.S: It's great to speak with you, as I've said. How are you liking Manchester, is this your first time in Manchester?

B.J.F: Yeah it is, I'm loving it. I was at Ricky Hatton's gym last night; he was showing me on the bag how he does his trademark left hook to the body.

J.S: That's so interesting, B.J. How did Ricky look, will he fight again in your opinion?

B.J.F: I think he will. You know, Ricky never looks in good shape between fights; he's just Ricky. But when time comes to get into camp, he's always in dog shape. I mean, I can't really say, but I think he will fight again. I think he'll have one final fight at the M.E.N arena; the fans would love to see it. Just because he lost to Floyd Mayweather and to Manny Pacquiao, it doesn't mean he doesn't have anything left to offer. The people love Ricky Hatton and I love Ricky Hatton - he's a great fighter. He's good for boxing and I think he'll have another fight.

J.S: Is that the first time you've met Ricky?

B.J.F: Yeah it is. He's a really funny guy, a funny character. Like I say, he's good for boxing.

J.S: Thanks so much for your insight, B.J. I hope you enjoy the fight tomorrow.

B.J.F: Thanks, James. Yes, I'm really looking forward to a great fight. I will be walking David into the ring, and the two have to prove who is the better fighter. It should be a good night

Jul 24, 2005
Promoter Cedric Cushner Says Dan Goossen Turned Down His Offer For Arreola To Face Tu

by James Slater - It's a heavyweight rumble fans have been asking for for quite a while now, and it's a match-up that couldn't help but to be one that provides fireworks. The fight in question is Chris Arreola Vs. David Tua, and if this fight did come off it's likely the winner would become a most creditable contender for a version of the heavyweight title. But will this fight ever take place?

According to Tua's promoter, Cedric Cushner, in talking to One News in New Zealand, he offered Arreola's promoter Dan Goossen a deal which, if accepted, would see "The Nightmare" travel to New Zealand to face his fellow crowd-pleaser of a heavyweight..

Cushner says he offered/guaranteed Goossen 100-percent of the American revenue from the fight, which his says would be somewhere close to $3 million U.S. However, Cushner says Goossen had no interest in his warrior going to New Zealand to fight Tua, and turned him down "categorically."

I've not read anywhere any comment from Goossen on this matter, but if Cushner is right in what he says, the head honcho of Gossen Tutor has turned down what is seemingly a very good offer indeed. Maybe there was more to the deal that we don't know about, but I'd be willing to bet how Arreola - and Tua himself of course - would have taken this fight in a heartbeat. Neither of these two heavyweights know the meaning of the word fear, and as such they would both relish the idea of the sure-to-be-thrilling-rumble.

Respected writer Thomas Hauser, who also spoke to One News in New Zealand about Tua and his chances of ever again challenging for a world title, said that right now, Tua's has given us "no reason to believe he is a creditable contender for either Klitschko brother," but that if he were to beat Arreola, he would earn himself some credibility.

And Hauser is of course right; if Tua were to beat the Mexican/American slugger, his stock would rise and fans everywhere would almost certainly demand he face Waldimir or Vitali - especially if he were to beat Arreola in style.

As for Tua's chances against the two all-conquering brothers, Hauser doesn't right now feel "The Tuaman" would have much of a chance against either champion.

"He certainly wouldn't beat Vitali," Hauser said of Tua. "Maybe he would be able to whack Wladimir on the chin, I don't know."

If Tua continues his successful comeback and if he eventually does defeat a top contender (such as Arreola - and we can still hope this great fight takes place, can't we!) it might be fun finding out how 37-year-old Tua copes with one of the giants

Jul 24, 2005
Shaw: Darchinyan Has Signed For Donaire Rematch

By Ryan Songalia

Gary Shaw, promoter of WBC/WBA super-flyweight champion Vic Darchinyan, says he has a signed contract from Darchinyan to fight a rematch with Nonito Donaire Jr on August 21 at the Home Depot Center in Carson, CA. Shaw says he is waiting to hear from Donaire's promoter Top Rank "to see if we have a deal."

Darchinyan, 34-2-1 (27 KO), was defeated in five rounds by Donaire in July of 2007 in a performance Ring Magazine called both the "Knockout of the Year" and "Upset of the Year." Darchinyan has stead-fastly demanded a rematch through the media but one obstacle has always prevented the fight from happening.

"The only hurdle was me because I felt that Donaire stiffed me by changing promoters," said Shaw from his NJ-based office. "Obviously he switched and Darchinyan got the belts, all the fame on TV while Donaire has faded into darkness."

In a 2008 interview with this writer, Donaire complained of having only one month to prepare for his first IBF flyweight title defense against Luis Maldonado. When his next fight was mentioned for a co-featured slot underneath Darchinyan, Donaire asked manager Cameron Dunkin to negotiate a release. Donaire said there were two years remaining on his contract at the time.

"I appreciate everything Gary Shaw did for me," Donaire, now 23-1 (15 KO), told BoxingScene in 2008. "He got me a title fight, but I think that is as far as he can take me."

Shaw says that he relented to the rematch because Darchinyan "really wanted the fight", adding "I have a special relationship with him and the entire team so I said, 'OK, we'll do it.'"

Shaw was unsure of whether he would be putting Darchinyan in a tuneup fight before facing Donaire. Donaire was also unsure of whether he would be fighting a tuneup in the interim though a May date had been mentioned.

Darchinyan fought just a month ago, winning a decision over Rodrigo Guerrero while Donaire stopped overmatched late-replacement Manuel Vargas in three rounds in February.

Though nearly two years has elapsed since Donaire Jr split with Shaw, time hasn't faded the bad taste in Shaw's mouth.

"I did a spectacular job with him. I gave him the fight with Darchinyan. I bought him a patched-up, easy fight after Darchinyan [against Maldonado]. I had money into Nonito and I built him. How would you feel? That's my answer." -RS

Calls to Cameron Dunkin and Top Rank were not returned at time of print

Jul 24, 2005
Hopkins: It's Up to Merk Whether Roy Jones Lives or Dies

By Mark Vester

Bernard Hopkins has promised to pound Roy Jones Jr. into retirement. He was forced to wait 17-years to avenge the 1993 decision loss to Jones. Hopkins plans to punish his career rival and he doesn't want a quick knockout in the rematch. He wants to punish Roy slow. Hopkins warned Jones' trainer Alton Merkerson to stop the fight when the moment is right - or watch his fighter take more punishment.

"I don't want to look like a bully on Saturday night. I want him to bring his 'A Game.' I will knock this guy out. It is going to be up to Merkerson whether he lives or dies. (To Merkerson) It is going to be up to you to stop it! It's personal. It's definitely personal. I'm in the fight business which is the hurt business," Hopkins said.

Hopkins says the chase is over. He tried to make a rematch for nearly two decades and now the moment has finally arrived. When Hopkins and Jones first met in 1993, the vacant IBF middleweight title was on the line. The "Jones legacy" started with that win. Now Hopkins plans to end that legacy.

"He has been running like a rabbit for 17 years and I was looking for a rooster, but all I found was these chickens and he is chicken. He didn't want to fight me because after 1993 I got better, but he didn't. This victory will be one of the top three fights in my career," Hopkins said.

"Roy Jones is a desperate man. A desperate man is a dangerous man. I helped start his legacy and I'll be the one to end it. Time flies when you're having fun. It's not like I've been sitting around for the past 17 years. I've had 21 title defenses.

There is an pre-existing agreement for a 60-40 split of the money for the fighter who wins the contest with a knockout. To become the fighter who receives the 60%, Hopkins is willing to change his entire style and make it a war.

"Somebody's going to be out of character. One of us will have to be. If I want to knock him out, which I do, I will have to be out of character."

Jul 24, 2005
David Haye Batters John Ruiz With Punishment, KO Win

By Mark Vester

At the MEN Arena in Manchester, England, WBA heavyweight champion David Haye (24-1, 22 KOs) retained his title with a ninth-round stoppage over former two-time champion John Ruiz (44-9-1, 30 KOs). Haye scored four knockdowns during the contest.

At the start of the first, Ruiz came out jabbing and started to take the fight to Haye. Haye stepped back and decked Ruiz down with a huge right hand. Ruiz was in trouble as he beat the count. Haye went on the attack. When Ruiz was against the ropes, Haye nailed him to the back of the head and sent Ruiz down hard. The ref called time and then took a point from Haye for the illegal shot. Ruiz tried to charge Haye but held him to hang on. Haye was outfighting him with quicker punches. Ruiz landed a good combination at the end.

Ruiz came out with the jab in the second round. Haye landed a good counter right hand to push Ruiz back. Haye started moving and using a jab. Ruiz got off with a good glancing combo. He started walking Haye down by moving forward and using a jab to come inside.

Ruiz came out in the third pushing forward. A three punch combo by Ruiz as he pressed Haye against the ropes. Ruiz's nose began to bleed from a Haye right hand. Ruiz still pressed forward and walked right into a Haye combo. Ruiz was pushing Haye back with glancing punches. Haye countered back with a hard three punch combo.

In the fourth, Ruiz came back to pushing the fight. Haye was picking his shots while moving around. Ruiz tried jabbing to the body and landed two right hands. Ruiz started to land his jab and began to outwork Haye in the final minute.

At the start of the fifth, Haye landed two big punches and then got off with some more hard shots when he trapped Ruiz against the ropes. Ruiz fought his way off and went back to the jab. Ruiz continued to come forward, using the jab to set up other punches. Ruiz was jabbing to the head and body. Haye was moving backwards and tried to land counters. Near the end of the round, Haye landed two punches and one of them appeared hit Ruiz right to the back of the head and sent him down. The ref ruled it as another knockdown.

In the sixth, Ruiz came right out pressing with punches and throwing the jab. Haye started using his own jab to battle. When they were tangled up against the ropes, Haye hit Ruiz several times and sent him down for the fourth time in the contest. Ruiz was again complaining the punches hit him to the back of the head. They began to go to war with hard shots being thrown by both. Haye began to target the body and started to use combos on Ruiz against the ropes when the bell rang to end it.

The seventh was slower at the start. Ruiz's face was swelling up bad. Haye stayed on the backfoot, throwing the jab and looking for something big. Ruiz was jabbing and jabbing to send Haye back. Haye countered big with his own hard jab to set up a good right hand. Ruiz landed a good two punch combo to the body and head to push Haye back to the ropes.

Ruiz came out with the jab in the eight. Haye pushed forward with a four punch combo. They were exchanging jabs from the distance. Haye with a big right hand. Haye landed a big left and then a big right to stun Ruiz. Haye was picking his shots in the final minute.

In the ninth, Ruiz was moving forward and Haye was started to land his own jab often. A three punch combo stunned Ruiz again and Ruiz's trainer Miguel Diaz threw in the towel to stop the fight.

On the undercard, middleweight Sergey Khomitsky (22-7-1, 9 KOs) stopped local favorite Jamie Moore (32-5, 23 KOs) after six rounds of action. After hurting Moore to the body at the end of the sixth, Moore was unable to come out for the seventh. Most of the crowd was shocked with the result. Prior to the loss, Moore was looking at a few major domestic fights in the near future.

Junior welterweight contender Peter McDonagh (15-16, 2 KOs) won an eight round decision over Christopher Sebire (20-4, 8 KOs). The score was 79-75.

Super middleweight George Groves (9-0, 7 KOs) stopped Charles Adamu (17-5, 12 KOs) in impressive fashion. Groves dropped him three times before the referee jumped in to stop the fight in the sixth round. After the fight was over, Groves demanded a showdown with British champion Paul Smith and vowed to knock the champion out. Adamu stopped for the first time in his career.

Junior welterweight Ajose Olusegan (28-0, 14 KOs) stopped Colin Lynes (33-8, 12 KOs) in the eight round to retain the Commonwealth title after landing a shot to the body to send Lynes down for the full count. After the fight, Lynes complained about struggling to make weight and said he was probably going to move up in weight

Jul 24, 2005
Arturo Gatti's Widow Wins Round One of The Legal Battle

By Mark Vester

The widow of Arturo Gatti, Amanda Rodrigues, was awarded $100,000 from the boxer's estate by a Quebec Superior Court judge. As part of the court's decision, she also received $2,000 a month for their 18-month-old son. In November, Rodrigues was awarded $40,000 to cover legal fees and child care costs. There is an ongoing battle over Gatti's estate between Rodrigues and the fighter's mother and brother.

Gatti was found dead by Rodrigues in Brazilian resort in July. The local police saw Rodrigues as the main suspect and detained her for several weeks. She was eventually released when an autopsy ruled that Gatti had committed suicide by hanging. Several of Gatti's family members refuse to accept the conclusion of the autopsy and believe Rodrigues was somehow involved in the fighter's death

Jul 24, 2005
Schaefer Wants Hopkins To Forget Haye, Retire Instead

By Mark Vester

Richard Schaefer, CEO for Golden Boy Promotions, would like to see his friend and business partner Bernard Hopkins retire from the ring. Hopkins, 45, finally got his revenge on Roy Jones Jr. on Saturday night in Las Vegas by winning an ugly, foul-filled twelve round decision.

Hopkins nearly fainted after the fight was over. He felt dizzy, blaming his post-fight reaction on Jones hitting him with illegal punches to the back of the head. Hopkins was taken to a local hospital for evaluation. Doctors wanted to take him away on a stretcher, which he refused.

Hopkins is now calling for a fight with WBA heavyweight champion David Haye, who battered John Ruiz on Saturday night in Manchester. Schaefer would rather see Hopkins forget about Haye, and focus on calling it a career.

"For Bernard, it could be a good ending," said Schaefer. "He got his revenge, and he waited 17 years to end it. It could be something which as a friend I would advise him to consider. I think it's time for his friends and family to have a serious talk with him."

Jul 24, 2005
Haye Sends a Strong Heavyweight Message With Ruiz Win

By Oli Smith

Back in November when he traveled to Germany to beat Nikolai Valuev, David Haye attempted to send a message to the heavyweight division. Unfortunately the message sent wasn’t quite as clear as he would have liked. On Saturday, at the MEN Arena in Manchester, he got a second chance to sting Boxing’s most storied division awake.The buzz for this fight had been slowly building, reaching a crescendo at the weigh-in when Haye tipped the scales at 222lbs; a career high. Not to be outdone, Ruiz jumped on the scales, registering eight-pounds lighter than his previous world heavyweight championship attempt, against Nikolai Valuev.

With a common opponent in Valuev it might be tempting to draw comparisons in performances, yet that would be deceiving on the part of both men. Haye fought an uncharacteristically defensive fight – with or without just cause - and was lucky in some people’s eyes to come away with a victory out of Germany which is notoriously stingy to foreign fighters. Ruiz meanwhile had taken on a new head coach in Miguel Diaz, a move that promised to revolutionize his style.

As the bell sounded to begin the first round David Haye started his first test as heavyweight champion. Immediately Ruiz jogged to center ring, preventing Haye establishing himself early. The fledgling champion clearly hadn’t read the script, sending an enormous one two combination right down the middle, he caught Ruiz flush and dumped him unceremoniously to the canvas. Ruiz needed to recover fast.

Haye sensed an early victory and went in for the kill, bundling the helpless Ruiz against the ropes with a flurry of shots, and then catching him with a rabbit punch that dropped him again. Somewhat bizarrely, not only was the knockout counted, but Haye was given a one point deduction for the foul. The few seconds of confusion gave Ruiz some valuable time to recover and he showed remarkable resilience for man who had not been seriously hurt since his 1996 loss to David Tua.During the next few rounds Haye was likely lamenting not picking his shots to force the early stoppage, as Ruiz quickly got his act together and began moving forward again. Working behind an underrated jab, Ruiz took advantage of Haye’s poor head movement but it wasn’t enough to turn the tide.

By round four, Haye had already established the pace and was dictating the action well. Working at range, the champion threw the occasional jab but worked mainly off the lead right. It was a shot that caused Ruiz problems all night. Ruiz has a reputation of being granite chinned and Haye obliged by testing it at every opportunity; for the most part it held up.

At the end of the fifth round Haye found his mark again, detonating a huge shot flush on Ruiz’s chin, the follow up shots sent him to the ground once more, yet also gave Ruiz grounds to complain about rabbit punching again. The challenger rose at the count of seven and the bell immediately rang for the end of the round – a well timed escape for Ruiz, though he looked more annoyed than flustered by the shots.

The sixth round began as the fifth had left off, a stinging flurry from Haye forced Ruiz against the ropes and he again buckled under the pressure. But as before, the challenger regained his composure fast and began to plod forward again. Ruiz certainly had opportunities to take the fight to Haye; his jabs landed almost at will, yet he constantly followed his man around, rather than cutting of the ring with lateral movement – this would have given him his best shot at wearing Haye down – but he didn’t take advantage.

As the fight moved out of the middle rounds, Ruiz looked content to keep Haye busy with the jab. In a brief change of pace, Haye was forced on the defensive as Ruiz maneuvered the champion into the corner. By this stage of the fight, Haye’s athleticism allowed him to get out of the situation before he could take any damage.

The inevitable end came in the ninth. Haye landed two flush shots causing blood to spray from Ruiz’s battered face. As Ruiz staggered back, referee Guillermo Perez Pineda acknowledged Miguel Diaz throwing the towel in on behalf of the challenger – and called a halt to contest.

Few people have ever truly dominated Ruiz. Tua as already mentioned did so in 1996; Roy Jones outboxed him in 2003. In battering his opponent, Haye joins some esteemed company. Though few predicted a win in such a dominate fashion. Haye was always the favourite going into the fight. And, as before, his win raises big questions as well as satisfying some answers. Most pertinently, how Haye will cope with a jab from either of the Klitschkos? It is the most devastating weapon utilised by the two heavyweight kingpins, and it has been used effectively in dispatching opponents with far better head movement than David Haye showed tonight.

Perhaps Haye’s tactics didn’t account for head movement, and he relied on foot speed to avoid danger. But then this would raise yet another question, will Haye be able to adjust in the face of adversity? If he displays this flaw against either Klitschko, his chances of winning will diminish dramatically. He simultaneously impresses and gives cause for alarm – perhaps this is the key to his popularity and success. Perhaps the questions will only finally be satisfied when he goes up against one or both of the Klitschkos.

Jul 24, 2005
Haye Back To His Exciting Best - The Klitschkos Next?

by James Slater - Though not everyone is willing to call themselves a fan of David Haye yet, the heavyweight division, it must surely be acknowledged, owes the WBA ruler one big debt of gratitude for livening things up at the weight class. Last night's drama-filled fight with John Ruiz, that saw the power-punching 29-year-old retain his belt with a 9th-round TKO, was the best heavyweight title fight seen in a few good years; at least in terms of raw excitement. And that's what heavyweight title fights should be about at the end of the day - excitement.

Haye delivered, as he has done in the past; and like him or not, rate him as the best or not, only a cynic could come out and say Haye doesn't provide value for money like no other heavyweight out there (with the possible exception of Chris Arreola). Okay, Haye was guilty of giving us a dull affair last time out, against Nikolai Valuev, but a hand that was busted early in the fight was a big contributing factor to the boring contest, and Haye can be given a pass for that one-off as a result. The bottom line is, 99-percent of the time, Haye gives the fans drama, action and lots and lots of punches..

The question now is, what, or who, next for "The Hayemaker?" We all want to see the once-beaten man who is a superstar in the U.K take on one or, ideally, both of the Klitschko brothers. Clearly the only fighter out there who is even possibly capable of putting an end to the "boring" reign of the two brothers, Haye, win or lose, will give it all he has against Waldimir or Vitali. Ask yourself, is there a better match-up (or pair of match-ups) that can be made in the division today? Like hell there is!

But will we get to see the fight or fights we want? There is the depressing possibility that Haye, if he wants to keep hold of his WBA belt (a belt that would no doubt serve as a most useful bargaining chip should he find himself back at the negotiating table with either Klitschko), will have to go back in with Valuev. This possibility has already drawn nothing but derision from the fans and experts alike, and a rematch of the dull distance fight won by Haye would be a real letdown for all concerned.

If mandatory fights do not get in the way, however (Wladimir has to accommodate Alexander Povetkin some time, of course), it's likely Haye will tangle with at least one Klitschko this year. And the heavyweight division - still the sport's glamour division for many people - needs this to be the case. Just imagine the build-up alone to Haye Vs. Wladimir or Vitali!

Also, though most fans will still see either brother as a winner over the man who has served up so much rash-talk about them, no-one would want to bet their house on Haye losing, would they? And if Haye is a star in the U.K now, a win over one of the giants would make him a global star. As to what a second win over a Klitschko would do for Haye and the heavyweight division, well, let's not get ahead of ourselves!

Haye has said a number of time how he has promised his family he will retire by the age of 31. That gives the most exciting big man on the planet approx eighteen months to get the fights signed, sealed and delivered. And if Haye can do this, rest assured; win or lose he WILL deliver in the excitement-stakes

Jul 24, 2005
Danny Green: Good Thing Hopkins Fight Didn't Happen

By Mark Vester

After watching Saturday's fight, IBO cruiserweight champion Danny Green is happy the fight with Bernard Hopkins never took place. After Green knocked Jones out in the first round in December, he was negoiating for a fight with Hopkins. They were unable to reach a deal and Hopkins moved forward with a Jones rematch. The fight lacked very little action and as Green predicted, Jones was gun-shy in the fight and Hopkins would not take any risks.

"Roy was gun shy after being knocked out in one round, unwilling to trade, terrified of being knocked out again," Green told AAP. "Bernard was unwilling to take any risks, he surprised me the way he carried on and whinged with those shots behind the head.

"That was like 1980s soccer, the way he dropped to the canvas. It was a very bizarre fight to watch actually. It's a good thing he didn't come to Australia. It was a very uninteresting bout between two superstars of the sport. They provided a very, very uninteresting spectacle."

Green says the performance by Hopkins has killed a very lucrative fight between the two of them in Australia.

"Straight after the Roy Jones fight, there was a lot of momentum, that's now gone and he just put paid to any chance of Bernard Hopkins coming to Australia. Bernard is really beatable. He's just waiting to be picked off," Green said.

Jul 24, 2005
Antonio Margarito: Manny Pacquiao Has My Title, I Want It

By Mark Vester

Former champion Antonio Margarito could be facing the pound for pound king of boxing if everything falls into place. He returns on May 8 against Roberto Garcia at La Feria de San Marcos in Aguascalientes, Mexico. If Margarito looks good, he will return in another fight and then possibly get the chance to fight Manny Pacquiao later in the year if a fight with Floyd Mayweather Jr. does not come around for the Filipino champion.

"I want to fight Manny Pacquiao. He has my title belt and I want it back. I know I can beat him," Margarito said.

Since the incident with the illegal substance being found in his handwraps prior to the fight with Shane Mosley last January, Margarito's past fights have come under fire. He claims that nothing was done in any of his poast fights.

"I'm a clean fighter. This never happened in the past. But if someone has a problem about something, we can settle it in the ring," Margarito said.

Jul 24, 2005
United States Olympians Hit Back at Italy in Reno

Two-time Olympian and 2007 World Champion Rau’shee Warren (Cincinnati, Ohio) returned to international action at the event and despite a move up to the featherweight division for the competition, Warren won a unanimous 3-0 victory over Italy’s Alessio DiSavino. The bout was forced to paper due to an issue with the computer scoring system in the first two bouts of the event. American female boxers went 2-0 at the USA vs. Italy dual with lightweight Mikaela Mayer (West Hills, Calif.) winning a convincing 22-10 decision over Romina Marenda of Italy. Mayer trailed by a 7-6 margin halfway through the bout, but turned up the heat in the second two rounds, closing the contest with seven points in the final two minutes to take the victory.

Once again, U.S. boxers emerged victorious in the welterweight and middleweight bouts with Eduardo Alicea (Cleveland, Ohio) and Jesse Hart (Philadelphia, Pa.) earning victories in the 152 pound and 165 pound contests respectively. In welterweight action, Alicea ruled from the start, winning a 21-11 final decision over Diego DiLuisa of Italy. Hart suffered a slow start in his bout with Italy’s Luca Podda, falling behind by a 3-0 margin after the opening round. Yet, he enjoyed two straight seven-point rounds to close the bout and won a 14-4 final decision over Podda.

A trio of U.S. boxers looked to upset the visiting Olympic medalists, but all of them fell short of their goal. Hometown boxer Santos Vasquez (Sun Valley, Nev.) dropped a 16-6 decision to 2008 Flyweight Olympic bronze medalist Vincenzo Piccardi in his international debut. The two heavyweights kept their bouts close, but couldn’t pull out the upset victories. Javonta Charles (Memphis, Tenn.) trailed by only two points as the bout moved into the final round of his bout with Olympic silver medalist Clemente Russo but the Italian finished strong, more than doubling his point total over the final three minutes to win an 8-3 final decision. In super heavyweight action, reigning Olympic gold medalist Roberto Cammarelle of Italy won an 18-10 decision over Lenroy Thompson (Lenexa, Kansas).

Two reigning national champions suffered losses with Louie Byrd (Denver, Colo.) dropping the dual opener to Alex Ferramosca in flyweight action and light heavyweight Robert Brant (Invergrove, Minn.) losing a close 9-6 decision to Italy’s Simone Fiori. Both the lightweight and light welterweight contests suffered an early end with Adrian Martinez (Milwaukee, Wis.) retiring in the second round of his lightweight bout with Italy’s Domenico Valentino and Davide Cencianelli of Italy winning a second round stoppage over Jamel Herring (Jacksonville, N.C.) in the light welterweight contest.

Coaches Pat Barry (Las Vegas, Nev.), Steve Blea (Denver, Colo.) and Rodrigo Mosquera (San Bernadino, Calif.) led the U.S. team into action in Reno. Miguel Rosario (New York, N.Y.) and Tom Cleary (Mason, Ohio) served as AIBA officials with John Santore (Pittsburgh, Pa.) working as the computer technician. Former Reno resident Robert Lee (Lubbock, Texas) joined the delegation as the Team Manager for both the Harvey and Reno duals.

The Reno event was the second of two USA vs. Italy duals in the past week with the first taking place in Harvey, Ill., on March 27. A portion of the proceeds from the USA vs. Italy dual in Reno benefitted the University of Nevada, Reno boxing program through the Jimmy Olivas Foundation.

USA vs. Italy Dual II Results
112 lbs/51 kg: Alex Ferramosca, ITA, def. Louie Byrd, Denver, Colo./USA
112 lbs/51 kg: Vincenzo Piccardi, ITA, dec. Santos Vasquez, Sun Valley, Nev./USA., 16-6
125 lbs/57 kg: Rau’shee Warren, Cincinnati, Ohio/USA dec. Alessio DiSavino, ITA, 3-0 (paper scoring)
132 lbs/female: Mikaela Mayer, West Hills, Calif./USA dec. Romina Marendza, ITA, 22-10
132 lbs/60 kg: Domenico Valentino, ITA, won on retirement over Adrian Martinez, Milwaukee, Wis./USA, RET-3 (2:32)
141 lbs/64 kg: Davide Cencianelli, ITA stopped Jamel Herring, Jacksonville, N.C./USA, RSC-3
152 lbs/69 kg: Eduardo Alicea, Cleveland, Ohio/USA dec. Diego DiLuisa, ITA, 21-11
165 lbs/75 kg: Jesse Hart, Philadelphia, Pa./USA dec. Luca Podda, ITA, 14-4
178 lbs/81 kg: Simone Fiori, ITA, dec. Robert Brant, Invergrove, Minn./USA, 9-6
201 lbs/91 kg: Clemente Russo, ITA, dec. Javonta Charles, Memphis, Tenn./USA, 8-3
201+ lbs/91+ kg: Roberto Cammarelle, ITA, dec. Lenroy Thompson, Lenexa, Kansas/USA, 18-10

Jul 24, 2005
Haye Not Interested in Hopkins: "He Just Wants a Payday"

By Mark Vester

WBA heavyweight champion David Haye has no interest in answering the challenge of Bernard Hopkins. Both of them fought on Saturday, with Haye stopping John Ruiz in Manchester and Hopkins winning a decision over Roy Jones Jr. in Las Vegas. After the fight was over, Hopkins, a light heavyweight, told reporters he was going to move up in weight by two divisions to fight Haye.

The heavyweight champ sees no reason for the fight. Haye doesn't think Hopkins is the same great fighter that he was several years ago. He says Hopkins is only looking for a final payday.

"Bernard Hopkins is one of my idols. Looking back at his fights over the last 20, 25 years, he's always been a great fighter. But now he's 45 years of age, he fought another 40-year-old on the same night as me and it was a dire fight for everybody there in attendance. I think he just wants a big payday, to fight for the heavyweight championship of the world he can demand big money," Haye told BBC Radio

Jul 24, 2005
New Champs, Still Champs: Ratings and Results Update

By Cliff Rold

Over the last four weeks, many of the best of the sport from top (Heavyweight) to bottom (105 lbs.) have seen action and to say the face of boxing has changed…

…okay, that’s overstatement. But there have certainly been some changes in the ratings along with new titlists in four weight divisions, a pair of impressive Heavyweight KOs, and a still hotly debated beginning to Stage Two of the Super Six tournament.

Oh, and the pound for pound king put over 50,000 in Texas Stadium.

With all of this, it’s time for a BoxingScene Divisional Ratings and Results Update.

Heavyweight (201 lbs.-Unlimited)

Notable Recent Results
03/13: #2 Alexander Povetkin (19-0, 14 KO) TKO5 Javier Mora (22-6-1, 18 KO)
03/20: World Champion Wladimir Klitschko (54-3, 48 KO) KO12 #3 Eddie Chambers (35-2, 18 KO)
04/03: #3 David Haye (24-2, 22 KO, WBA) TKO9 #9 John Ruiz (44-9-1, 30 KO)

World Champion: Wladimir Klitschko (54-3, 48 KO, Lineal/Ring/IBF/WBO)
Lineage Descends From: W. Klitschko RTD9 Chagaev 06/20/2009

Top Ten Contenders
1. Vitali Klitschko (39-2, 37 KO, WBC, 3 Defenses)
2. David Haye (23-1, 21 KO, WBA, 1 Defense)
3. Alexander Povetkin (19-0, 14 KO)
4. Eddie Chambers (35-2, 18 KO)
5. Ruslan Chagaev (25-1-1, 17 KO)
6. Nicolay Valuev (50-2, 34 KO)
7. Cristobal Arreola (28-1, 25 KO)
8. Alexander Dimitrenko (29-1, 19 KO)
9. Tomasz Adamek (40-1, 27 KO)
10. Denis Boystov (27-0, 22 KO)

Rating Notes…Wladimir Klitschko extended his personal winning streak to twelve, showing off the boxing ability which makes him so effective and, with a single left hook to Eddie Chambers head, frightening when he catches someone. This is not an easy man to beat…Wlad’s IBF mandatory is Povetkin, whose camp may be dragging their feet. A pro almost five years, and already in his 30s, one can wonder what Povetkin is waiting for. The answers are in the highlights. The Russian has looked in great shape since coming under the tutelage of Teddy Atlas and his combination punching is improving. Atlas is going to make his man ready for a real run at the throne…Vitali will be killing time later this spring with a woeful opponent. Nothing to see there. Moving along…David Haye’s stopped John Ruiz for the only time since 1996. Combined with a win over Valuev his last time out, and Povetking maudlin opposition since early 2008, Hay jumps a slot to number two...2010 could be a renaissance year for this division in terms of action. The crowds the Klitschko’s generate indicate a better time than given credit for.

Previous Champion: Lennox Lewis (2001-03, Retired)
Consecutive Title Defense Record, Lineal or Other: Joe Louis - 25
Current Champion – Defenses: 1 – Lineal; 4 – IBF; 4 – IBF/WBO

Key Upcoming Heavyweight Contests
04/24: #7 Chris Arreola vs. #9 Tomasz Adamek
05/29: #1 Vitali Klitschko vs. Albert Sosnowski (45-2-1, 27 KO)

Cruiserweight (176-200 lbs.)

Notable Recent Results
02/22: #10 Denis Lebedev (20-0, 15 KO) KO4 Ignacio Esparza (16-2, 12 KO)
03/13: #2 Marco Huck (28-1, 21 KO, WBO) KO3 Adam Richards (23-3, 15 KO)

World Cruiserweight Champion: Vacant
Vacant Since: Tomasz Adamek Vacated 02/23/2010

Top Ten Contenders
1. Steve Cunningham (22-2, 11 KO)
2. Marco Huck (28-1, 21 KO, WBO, 2 Defenses)
3. Ola Afolabi (14-2-3, 6 KO)
4. Krzysztof Wlodarczyk (42-2-1, 31 KO)
5. Victor Ramirez (15-2, 12 KO)
6. Grigory Drozd (32-1, 23 KO)
7. Giacobbe Fragomeni (26-2-1, 10 KO)
8. Danny Green (28-3, 25 KO)
9. Troy Ross (23-1, 16 KO)
10. Denis Lebedev (20-0, 15 KO)

Rating Notes…The dissolution of a proposed Cunningham-Matt Godfrey fight for a vacant IBF belt looks like it will lead instead to Cunningham and Contender Season Four winner Troy Ross. Ross may be the best winner the show ever produced and that’s a stellar fight…the winner versus Huck, whom Cunningham beat a few years ago in a good fight, would be welcome…Fragomeni and Wlodarczyk are set for a rematch, the vacant WBC belt up for grabs. Their first fight was action packed…WBA titlist Guillermo Jones hasn’t fought in well over a year. It’s not sure if anyone else has noticed, including the WBA.

Previous Champion: Tomasz Adamek (2007-09)
Consecutive Title Defense Record, Lineal: Carlos DeLeon - 4
Consecutive Title Defense Record, Other: Johnny Nelson (WBO) - 13
Current Champion – Defenses: 2 – Lineal/Ring/IBF

Key Upcoming Cruiserweight Contests
04/14: #8 Danny Green vs. Manny Siaca (22-6, 19 KO)
04/30: #10 Denis Lebedev vs. Steve Herelius (19-1-1, 11 KO)
05/01: #2 Marco Huck vs. Brian Minto (34-3, 21 KO)
05/15: #4 Krzysztof Wlodarczyk vs. #7 Giacobbe Fragomeni

Light Heavyweight (169-175 lbs.)

Notable Recent Results
04/03: #5 Bernard Hopkins (51-5-1, 32 KO) UD12 Roy Jones Jr. (54-7, 40 KO)

World Light Heavyweight Champion: Vacant
Vacant Since: Zsolt Erdei Vacated 11/14/2009

Top Ten Contenders
1. Chad Dawson (29-0, 17 KO, WBC interim)
2. Jean Pascal (25-1, 16 KO, WBC, 2 Defenses)
3. Tavoris Cloud (20-0, 18 KO, IBF, 0 Defenses)
4. Glen Johnson (50-13-2, 34 KO)
5. Bernard Hopkins (51-5-1, 32 KO)
6. Antonio Tarver (27-6, 19 KO)
7. Adrian Diaconu (26-2, 15 KO)
8. Gabriel Campillo (19-3, 6 KO)
9. Juergen Braehmer (35-2, 28 KO, WBO, 1 Defense)
10. Karo Murat (21-0, 13 KO)

Rating Notes…Chad Dawson remains atop the ratings with a chance to solidify his claim as the king of the Light Heavyweights against Jean Pascal this summer …Tavoris Cloud, a thrilling if far too inactive young banger, has a real fight on his hands with Glen Johnson looming as a mandatory…Hopkins proved dropping him the right call in the Jones rematch where he truly looked his age. A living legend, Hopkins place in time is sealed so if he wants to cash in some easy ones, it’s hard to argue against it…Murat is undefeated and already holds a majority decision win over number eight…Campillo had his WBA belt taken from him in the rematch with Beibut Shumenov but did not lose in any objective sense and stays right where he was in the ratings considering the strength of his previous Shumenov win and win over Hugo Garay…After vacating at Light Heavyweight, Zsolt Erdei has elected to return to the division, probably for Braehmer; he’ll have to earn his rating back but, given the way he’s matched, is unlikely to ever see the lineal title again…Antonio Tarver may soon be on his way to Cruiserweight.

Previous Champion: Zsolt Erdei (2004-09)
Consecutive Title Defense Record, Lineal: Bob Foster/Dariusz Michalczewski - 14
Consecutive Title Defense Record, Other: Dariusz Michalczewski (WBO) - 23

Key Upcoming Light Heavyweight Contests
08/14: #1 Chad Dawson vs. # Jean Pascal

Super Middleweight (161-168 lbs.)

Notable Recent Results
03/27: #7 Andre Dirrell (19-1, 13 KO) DQ11 #3 Arthur Abraham (31-1, 25 KO

World Super Middleweight Champion: Vacant

Top Ten Contenders
1. Lucian Bute (25-0, 20 KO, IBF, 4 Defenses)
2. Andre Ward (21-0, 13 KO, WBA, 0 Defenses)
3. Carl Froch (26-0, 20 KO, WBC, 2 Defenses)
4. Andre Dirrell (19-1, 13 KO)
5. Mikkel Kessler (42-2, 32 KO)
6. Arthur Abraham (31-1, 25 KO)
7. Sakio Bika (28-3-2, 19 KO)
8. Librado Andrade (28-3, 21 KO)
9. Robert Steiglitz (37-2, 23 KO, WBO, 1 Defense)
10. Eduard Gutknect (18-0, 7 KO)

Ratings Notes…Andre Dirrell turned in a gem for most of the night before Arthur Abraham cost himself any chance at a comeback with a foul right. It was a redemptive victory for the 2004 U.S. Olympic Bronze Medalist despite the awkward end. A showdown with Olympic team mate Andre Ward looms in the third round of the Super Six…Dirrell pops up to number three while Abraham, who had a limited body of work at 168 anyways, drops below former titlist Kessler…Staying on the tournament, at its beginning, four men entered undefeated. Two have seen their “0” go with five fights left in the round robin. Can anyone get through unscathed?...Lucian Bute’s hold on the number one slot is going to be challenged and he’s essentially competing against men he can’t fight for the foreseeable future at 168…Allan Green just misses the top ten cut here but, come June, has a chance to upset a Ward most would see as the Super Six favorite right now…Froch-Kessler is the next bit of high drama and it’s a pick ‘em fight based on each man’s recent form.

Previous Champion: Joe Calzaghe (2006-08, Vacated)
Consecutive Title Defense Record, Lineal: Chong Pal Park - 10
Consecutive Title Defense Record, Other: Tie – Joe Calzaghe (WBO)/Sven Ottke (IBF) - 21

Key Upcoming Super Middleweight Contests
04/17: #1 Lucian Bute vs. Edison Miranda (33-4, 29 KO)
04/24: #3 Carl Froch vs. #5 Mikkel Kessler
06/19: #2 Andre Ward vs. Allan Green (29-1, 20 KO)

Welterweight (141-147 lbs.)

Notable Recent Results
03/13: #2 Manny Pacquiao (50-3-2, 38, WBO) UD12 #5 Joshua Clottey (35-4, 20 KO)

World Welterweight Champion: Vacant

Top Ten Contenders
1. Shane Mosley (46-5, 39 KO, WBA Super, 0 Defenses)
2. Manny Pacquiao (50-3-2, 38 KO, WBO, 0 Defenses)
3. Miguel Cotto (34-2, 27 KO)
4. Floyd Mayweather Jr. (40-0, 25 KO)
5. Joshua Clottey (35-4, 20 KO)
6. Andre Berto (25-0, 19 KO, WBC, 3 Defenses)
7. Luis Collazo (30-4, 15 KO)
8. Vyacheslav Senchenko (30-0, 20 KO, WBA Regular, 1 Defense)
9. Carlos Quintana (27-2, 21 KO)
10. Jan Zaveck (28-1, 16 KO, IBF, 0 Defenses)

Ratings Notes…With over 700,000 pay-per-view sales and 50,000 butts in the seats, Pacquiao-Clottey was the perhaps most absurdly successful stay busy, consolation prize fight ever…Berto-Quintana is a strong way to pass the time between superstars and an interesting test. Quintana is a spoiler and Berto is a talent with question marks remaining…Given his position as the last man to hold the real Welterweight title, and Mosley’s standing as a deserving number one, the winner of that anticipated May 1st collision will, and should be, seen as the division’s reigning champion here…Oh, and the fight should be pretty awesome too. Only been waiting for this one for over a decade.

Previous Champion: Floyd Mayweather (2006-08, Retired)
Consecutive Title Defense Record, Lineal or Other: Henry Armstrong - 18

Key Upcoming Welterweight Contests
04/09: #10 Jan Zaveck vs. Rodolfo Martinez (36-3-1, 13 KO)
04/10: #6 Andre Berto vs. #9 Carlos Quintana
05/01: #1 Shane Mosley vs. #4 Floyd Mayweather

Jr. Welterweight (136-140 lbs.)

Notable Recent Results
03/06: #4 Devon Alexander (20-0, 13 KO, WBC) TKO8 #3 Juan Urango (22-3-1, 17 KO, IBF)
03/27: #7 Marcos Maidana (28-1, 27 KO) KO6 Victor Cayo (24-1, 16 KO)

World Jr. Welterweight Champion: Manny Pacquiao (50-3-2, 38 KO, Lineal/Ring)
Lineage Descends From: Tszyu KO2 Judah, 11/03/2001

Top Ten Contenders
1. Timothy Bradley (25-0, 11 KO, WBO, 2 Defenses)
2. Devon Alexander (20-0, 13 KO, WBC, 1 Defense; IBF, 0 Defenses)
3. Marcos Maidana (28-1, 27 KO)
4. Ricky Hatton (45-2, 32 KO)
5. Amir Khan (212-1, 16 KO, WBA, 1 Defense)
6. Nate Campbell (33-5-1, 25 KO)
7. Andriy Kotelnik (31-3-1, 13 KO)
8. Paulie Malignaggi (27-3, 5 KO)
9. Kaizer Mabuza (23-6-3, 14 KO)
10. Mike Alvarado (26-0, 18 KO)

Ratings Notes…With his third straight knockout win since a narrow, split decision loss to Kotelnik in early 2009, Maidana made a strong case to jump up the number three slot. Making the case stronger is the evident ducking of Maidana going on with Team Amir Khan…Alexander-Maidana has been floated as a possibility and, okay, sounds great…Hatton slips with inactivity but still has too much resume to be passed by a Khan whose one significant win at 140 over Kotelnik is still just that: one win. He’ll have a chance to improve on that shortly with the skilled Malignaggi…Bradley will flirt with Welterweight over the summer and Pacquiao can be expected to formally relinquish his claims at 140 soon as well and yet the depth of the class is such that it wouldn’t really hurt that much if both were lost.

Previous Champion: Ricky Hatton (2005-09)
Consecutive Title Defense Record, Lineal: Antonio Cervantes - 10
Consecutive Title Defense Record, Other: Julio Cesar Chavez (WBC) - 13
Current Champion – Defenses: 0

Key Upcoming Jr. Welterweight Contests
05/15: #5 Nate Campbell vs. Victor Ortiz (26-2-1, 21 KO)
05/15: #4 Amir Khan vs. #8 Paulie Malignaggi

Lightweight (131-135 lbs.)

Notable Recent Results
02/06: #2 Edwin Valero (27-0, 27 KO, WBC) vs. #10 Antonio DeMarco (23-2-1, 17 KO)
03/13: #1 at Jr. Lightweight Humberto Soto (51-7-2, 32 KO) UD12 David Diaz (35-3-1, 17 KO); vacant WBC title

World Lightweight Champion: Juan Manuel Marquez (50-5-1, 37 KO, Lineal/Ring/WBA Super/WBO)
Lineage Descends From: Castillo UD12 Lazcano, 06/05/2004

Top Ten Contenders
1. Edwin Valero (27-0, 27 KO)
2. Juan Diaz (35-3, 17 KO)
3. Ali Funeka (30-3-3, 25 KO)
4. Michael Katsidis (26-2, 21 KO, WBO interim)
5. Rolando Reyes (31-4-2, 20 KO)
6. Paulus Moses (25-0, 17 KO, WBA, 1 Defense)
7. Anthony Peterson (29-0, 19 KO)
8. Humberto Soto (51-7-2, 32 KO)
9. Miguel Acosta (26-3-2, 20 KO, WBA interim)
10. Antonio DeMarco (23-2-1, 17 KO)

Rating Notes…Edwin Valero remains in the number one slot despite having vacated the Lightweight belt of the WBC. It is anticipated he is rising to 140 but it has not officially happened yet…Soto enters at nine having won the vacant belt. His mandatory is the man rated directly in front of him and chances are Soto’s title reign lasts only until he faces Peterson...chatter abounds of a rematch between champion Marquez and Juan Diaz, 2009’s Fight of the Year. It’s just the thing to kick some life into a stalled 135 lb. class…Ali Funeka remains high in the ratings despite a loss to a Joan Guzman who showed up two weight classes heavy for what was to be a Lightweight title fight. The unprofessional Guzman is bumped from the ratings altogether…Katsidis is in real danger with undefeated Kevin Mitchell coming in May. Mitchell is well positioned to fill some of the star void in British boxing.

Previous Champion: Joel Casamayor (2006-08)
Consecutive Title Defense Record, Lineal: Joe Gans – 14*
Consecutive Title Defense Record, Other: Artur Grigorian (WBO) - 17
Current Champion – Defenses: 1 – Lineal/Ring; 0 - WBA/WBO
*Gans defenses were spread over two reigns but he never lost the title in the ring, electing to vacate the title in a short trip to Welterweight before returning to reclaim the crown. Roberto Duran can also be credited with the record at 12 in a single title reign.

Key Upcoming Lightweight Contests
05/15: #4 Michael Katsidis vs. Kevin Mitchell (31-0, 23 KO); interim WBO title

Jr. Lightweight (127-130 lbs.)

Notable Recent Results
01/11: Takashi Uchiyama (14-0, 11 KO) TKO12 #4 Juan Carlos Salgado (21-1-1, 15 KO, WBA)
02/06: #8 at Featherweight Jorge Solis (38-2-2, 28 KO) KO7 Likar Ramos (21-3, 15 KO); interim WBA belt

World Jr. Lightweight Champion: Vacant

Top Ten Contenders
1. Robert Guerrero (25-1-1, 17 KO, IBF, 0 Defenses)
2. Roman Martinez (23-0-1, 14 KO, WBO, 1 Defense)
3. Takashi Uchiyama (14-0, 11 KO, WBA, 0 Defenses)
4. Malcolm Klassen (24-5-2, 15 KO)
5. Cassius Baloyi (37-4-1, 19 KO)
6. Mzonke Fana (29-4, 12 KO)
7. Vitali Tajbert (19-1, 6 KO, WBC, 0 Defenses)
8. Juan Carlos Salgado (21-1-1, 15 KO)
9. Jorge Solis (38-2-2, 28 KO, interim WBA)
10. Martin Honorio (28-4-1, 14 KO)

Ratings Notes…With the exit of Humberto Soto to Lightweight, and the potential rise of Guerrero before the year is out, Jr. Lightweight’s struggle for identity increases in difficulty. There are good fighters here, but most are regional draws at best. Uchiyama-Martinez would rock, but how many people know that? Interest in the Jr. Lightweights in any sort of big stage sense is on hold until a new star emerges…that probably waits until a star is made at Featherweight and then changes their diet.

Previous Champion: Manny Pacquiao (2008, Vacated)
Consecutive Title Defense Record, Lineal: Brian Mitchell – 13
Consecutive Title Defense Record, Other: Brian Mitchell (WBA) - 12

Key Upcoming Jr. Lightweight Contests
04/24: #2 Roman Martinez vs. Ricky Burns (27-2, 7 KO)
05/08: #10 Jorge Solis vs. Mario Santiago (21-2-1, 14 KO)
05/17: #3 Takashi Uchiyama vs. Angel Granados (18-8, 8 KO)
05/29: #8 Vitali Tajbert vs. Humberto Gutierrez (26-2-1, 19 KO)

Featherweight (123-126 lbs.)

Notable Recent Results
03/27: #6 Yuriorkis Gamboa (18-0, 15 KO, WBA) UD12 Jonathan Victor Barros (28-1-1, 16 KO)

World Featherweight Champion: Vacant

Top Ten Contenders
1. Chris John (43-0-2, 22 KO, WBA Super, 12 Defenses)
2. Juan Manuel Lopez (28-0, 25 KO, WBO, 0 Defenses)
3. Cristobal Cruz (39-11-2, 23 KO, IBF, 3 Defenses)
4. Elio Rojas (22-1, 13 KO, WBC, 1 Defense)
5. Yuriorkis Gamboa (18-0, 15 KO, WBA, 3 Defenses)
6. Steven Luevano (37-2-1, 15 KO)
7. Takahiro Aoh (18-2-1, 8 KO)
8. Bernabe Concepcion (28-3-1, 15 KO)
9. Daniel Ponce De Leon (38-2, 32 KO)
10. Chonlatarn Piriyapinyo (33-0, 19 KO)

* Attell’s record streak varies from 18-22 title defenses by source; the CyberBoxingZone records 20 title defenses while 18 is noted in numerous other historical records

Ratings Notes…Yuriorkis Gamboa continues to win and continues to defend a WBA belt he didn’t win from Chris John. Boxing brings the silly like no other sport but there’s also plenty of serious. For instance, Gamboa and unified Jr. Feather titlist Celestino Caballero is a serious fight and possible for the summer…Lopez, the man with whom dreams of future superfight paydays reside, has a serious fight of his own coming up. Let’s hope Concepcion keeps all his punches fair. He didn’t in his first title shot…The division’s best fighter, John, is sort of lost in the shuffle and has nothing captivated on tap wasting one of boxing’s unsung best...Maybe he can pray for whoever emerges from May’s Israel Vasquez-Rafael Marquez IV.

Previous Champion: Manny Pacquiao (2003-05, Vacated)
Consecutive Title Defense Record, Lineal: Abe Attell – 18*
Consecutive Title Defense Record, Other: Eusebio Pedroza (WBA) – 19

Key Upcoming Featherweight Contests
07/10: #2 Juan Manuel Lopez vs. #8 Bernabe Concepcion

Jr. Featherweight (119-122 lbs.)

Notable Recent Results
02/26: #7 Antonio Escalante (23-2, 14 KO) UD10 Miguel Roman (28-7, 20 KO)
02/27: #10 Wilfredo Vazquez Jr. (18-0-1, 15 KO) KO4 Marvin Sonsona (14-1-1, 12 KO)
03/27: #4 Steve Molitor (32-1, 12 KO) UD12 #10 Takalani Ndlovu (30-6, 18 KO); vacant IBF title

World Jr. Featherweight Champion: Vacant

Top Ten Contenders
1. Celestino Caballero (33-2, 23 KO, WBA, 6 Defenses; WBA Super/IBF, 2 Defenses)
2. Poonsawat Kratingdaenggym (40-1, 28 KO, WBA, 1 Defense)
3. Toshiaki Nishioka (35-4-3, 22 KO, WBC, 3 Defenses)
4. Steve Molitor (32-1, 12 KO, IBF, 0 Defenses)
5. Rendall Munroe (20-1, 8 KO)
6. Jeffrey Mathebula (23-2-2, 13 KO)
7. Antonio Escalante (23-2, 14 KO)
8. Wilfredo Vazquez Jr. (18-0-1, 15 KO, WBO, 0 Defenses)
9. Satashi Hosono (16-1, 12 KO)
10. Kohei Ohba (27-0-1, 11 KO)

Ratings Notes…What’s left if and when Caballero leaves? Probably more than is recognized now…Kratingdaenggym is a necessary export out of Thailand, one of the most improved and continually exciting in the game…Vasquez Jr. looks like he might be ready to really live up to the old man…Molitor showed he was still the better of Ndlovu and will one day get a chance to show he can do better in the spotlight than he did against Caballero in 2008…122 lbs. hasn’t produced a Fight of the Year candidate yet in 2010. It’s been a lock for at least one for most of the last decade-plus. Nine months remain on the calendar.

Previous Champion: Israel Vasquez (2007-09, Vacated)
Consecutive Title Defense Record, Lineal or Other: Wilfredo Gomez - 17

Key Upcoming Jr. Featherweight Contests
04/23: #5 Rendall Munroe vs. Victor Terrazas (25-1-1, 13 KO)

Bantamweight (116-118 lbs.)

Notable Recent Results
02/13: #7 Fernando Montiel (40-2-2, 30 KO, WBO) KO1 Ciso Morales (14-1, 8 KO)
02/13: Eric Morel (42-2, 21 KO) SD12 Gerry Penalosa (54-8-2, 36 KO); interim WBO belt
03/27: #2 Anselmo Moreno (28-1-1, 10 KO, WBA) SD12 #5 Nehomar Cermeno (19-1, 11 KO)

World Bantamweight Champion: Vacant

Top Ten Contenders
1. Hozumi Hasegawa (28-2, 12 KO, WBC, 9 Defenses)
2. Anselmo Moreno (29-1-1, 10 KO, WBA, 6 Defenses)
3. Yonnhy Perez (20-0, 14 KO, IBF, 0 Defenses)
4. Joseph Agbeko (27-2, 22 KO)
5. Nehomar Cermeno (19-1, 11 KO)
6. Fernando Montiel (40-2-2, 30 KO, WBO, 1 Defense)
7. Wladimir Sidorenko (21-2-2, 7 KO)
8. Abner Mares (20-0, 13 KO)
9. Sasha Bakhtin (24-0, 11 KO)
10. Eric Morel (42-2, 21 KO, WBO interim)

Ratings Notes…Hasegawa and Montiel are the first reigning titlists to square off at 118 since, like, disco. Due to politics, only Montiel can leave with a pair of belts but so what? The winner is a strong step towards truly proving they are the best in class…Moreno and Cermeno may be headed towards a rematch after a close and reportedly hotly contested affair. Moreno is a beautiful technician who evokes the great Pernell Whitaker in style…Mares and Perez, former amateur rivals, might just produce a Fight of the Year contender in May…It doesn’t get much better than Bantamweight right now.

Previous Champion: Bernardo Pinango (1986-87, Vacated)
Consecutive Title Defense Record, Lineal: Manuel Ortiz - 15
Consecutive Title Defense Record, Other: Orlando Canizales (IBF) – 16

Key Upcoming Bantamweight Contests
04/30: #1 Hozumi Hasegawa vs. #6 Fernando Montiel
05/22: #3 Yohnny Perez vs. #8 Abner Mares

Flyweight (109-112 lbs.)

Notable Recent Results
02/07: #10 Daiki Kameda (16-2, 11 KO) UD12 #2 Denkaosan Kaovitchit (48-2-1, 20 KO, WBA)
02/24: #1 Omar Narvaez (31-0-2, 19 KO, WBO) UD10 Santiago Acosta (16-5-2, 7 KO); non-title
02/27: #9 Rayonta Whitfield (24-1, 12 KO) TKO9 Sergio Espinoza (16-7-1, 5 KO)
03/27: #3 Pongsaklek Wonjongkam (75-3-1, 39 KO) MD12 World Champion Koki Kameda (22-1, 14 KO, Lineal/WBC)

World Flyweight Champion: Pongsaklek Wonjongkam (75-3-1, 39 KO, Lineal/Ring/WBC)
Lineage Descends From: Canto MD15 Oguma, 01/08/1975*

Top Ten Contenders
1. Omar Narvaez (31-0-2, 19 KO, WBO, 16 Defenses)
2. Koki Kameda (22-1, 14 KO)
3. Daisuke Naito (35-3-2, 22 KO)
4. Daiki Kameda (16-2, 11 KO¸WBA¸0 Defenses)
5. Denkaosan Kaovichit (48-1-1, 20 KO)
6. Moruti Mthalane (25-2, 16 KO, IBF, 0 Defenses)
7. Julio Cesar Miranda (30-5-1, 23 KO)
8. Luis Concepcion (19-1, 14 KO, WBA interim)
9. Rayonta Whitfield (24-1, 12 KO)
10. Jesus Jimenez (28-5, 20 KO)

* Canto, a WBC champion, was regarded by some, including Ring Magazine, as lineal champ as early as 1975 for defeating Shoji Oguma; became clear champion when twice defended against foe Betulio Gonzalez became WBA champ on 08/13/1978

Ratings Notes…Wonjongkam regains the world title almost three years after losing it to rival Daisuke Naito while Koki Kameda learns what it’s like to take an official “L.” Kameda can rebound. Wonjongkam has and earned the right to be called a certain future Hall of Famer…The Thai battler is likely to have a first defense against former longtime 108 lb. titlist Edgar Sosa. He’s finding a dramatically strong late run of opposition…If they go with some ‘revenge of the brother’ type stuff, could Wonjongkam find a unification contest down the road? It’s been decades since one of those at Flyweight…Is Omar Narvaez done at Flyweight? He’s taking his second straight non-title affair and at 34 could reasonably be finding 112 hard to make. Time will tell.

Previous Champion: Koki Kameda (2009-10)
Consecutive Title Defense Record, Lineal or Other: Pongsaklek Wonjongkam – 17
Current Champion – Defenses: 0 - Lineal/Ring/WBC

Key Upcoming Flyweight Contests
04/22: #8 Luis Concepcion vs. Eric Ortiz (32-9-3, 21 KO)
05/09: #3 Daisuke Naito vs. Suriyan Por Cokchai (13-4-1, 3 KO)
05/15: #1 Omar Narvaez vs. Evert Briceno (32-5-1, 26 KO); non-title

Jr. Flyweight (106-108 lbs.)

Notable Recent Results
02/20: #1 Giovanni Segura (23-1-1, 19 KO, WBA) TKO3 Walter Tello (14-4, 6 KO)
02/27: #3 Rodel Mayol (26-4-2, 20 KO, WBC) Tech. Draw3 #7 Omar Nino (28-3-2, 11 KO)
03/27: #6 Ulises Sosa (30-2-2, 21 KO) RTD6 Bert Batawang (45-15-3, 37 KO)
03/27: #1 Giovanni Segura (24-1-1, 20 KO, WBA) RTD4 Ronald Ramos (28-8-3, 14 KO); non-title

World Jr. Flyweight Champion: Ivan Calderon (33-0-1, 6 KO, Lineal/ Ring/WBO)
Lineage Descends From: Cazares TKO10 Dieppa, 09/30/2006

Top Ten Contenders
1. Giovanni Segura (24-1-1, 20 KO, WBA, 3 Defenses)
2. Carlos Tamara (21-4, 15 KO, IBF, 0 Defenses)
3. Rodel Mayol (26-4-2, 20 KO, WBC, 0 Defenses)
4. Edgar Sosa (37-6, 21 KO)
5. Brian Viloria (26-3, 15 KO)
6. Ulises Solis (30-2-2, 21 KO)
7. Juan Carlos Reveco (22-1, 12 KO, interim WBA)
8. Omar Nino (28-3-2, 11 KO)
9. Edren Dapudong (17-2, 9 KO)
10. Johnriel Casimero (14-0, 8 KO, interim WBO)

Ratings Notes…Ivan Calderon is in for a tough mandatory with Casimero. Get past it and wouldn’t a showdown with Segura be something? Slickster from Puerto Rico versus wild puncher from Mexico? It’s been said, somewhere, that such a combination can make a good fight…Mayol and Nino are likely to have a rematch after the controversial end of their fight…Tamara, despite a big win over Viloria earlier this year, will probably have to be carefully managed to keep his belt. It will all be fun while it lasts…Viloria may well be headed to Flyweight.

Previous Champion: Hugo Cazares (2006-07)
Consecutive Title Defense Record, Lineal: Saman Sorjaturong - 10
Consecutive Title Defense Record, Other: Myung-Woo Yuh (WBA) – 17
Current Champion: 5 – Lineal/Ring/WBO

Key Upcoming Jr. Flyweight Contests
05/29: World Champion Ivan Calderon vs. #10 Johnriel Casimero

Strawweight (105 lbs.)

Notable Recent Results
02/01: #8 Yasutaka Kuroki (23-3-1, 15 KO) TKO6 Takumi Suda (10-6-2, 2 KO)
03/26: #7 Nkosinathi Joyi (21-0, 15 KO) UD12 #3 Raul Garcia (27-1, 16 KO, IBF)
03/27: #2 Oleydong Sithsamerchai (34-0, 12 KO, WBC) UD12 #8 Yasutaka Kuroki (23-4-1, 15 KO)

World Strawweight Champion: Vacant
Vacant Since: Ricardo Lopez vacated in 1999

Top Ten Contenders
1. Roman Gonzalez (25-0, 21 KO, WBA, 3 Defenses)
2. Nkosinathi Joyi (21-0, 15 KO, IBF, 0 Defenses)
3. Oleydong Sithsamerchai (34-0, 12 KO, WBC, 5 Defenses)
4. Donnie Nietes (26-1-3, 15 KO, WBO, 3 Defenses)
5. Raul Garcia (27-0, 16 KO
6. Yasutaka Kuroki (23-4-1, 15 KO)
7. Juan Palacios (26-3, 20 KO)
8. Milan Melindo (20-0, 5 KO)
9. Manuel Vargas (26-5-1, 11 KO)
10. Muhammad Rachman (62-8-5, 31 KO)

Ratings Notes…Joyi make a big jump with a dominant win over the previously undefeated Garcia while Sithsamerchai drops a hair with a reportedly narrow win over Kuroki which included a trip to the floor…the class of the class remains Gonzalez but since the titlists are unlikely to ever fight it’s all conjecture.

Previous Champion: Ricardo Lopez (1990-99, Vacated)
Consecutive Title Defense Record, Lineal or Other: Ricardo Lopez – 22

Jul 24, 2005
Bernard Hopkins not that good, Roy Jones not that bad?

By Robert Jackson: Well the speculation as to who has had the better career, and the better legacy is over and the winner is Bernard Hopkins and Roy Jones Jr. Watching the fight Saturday night, a fight that can only be described as WEAK, neither guy did any thing SPECTACULAR or DOMINANT. Hopkins ONLY won because he was busier. Roy Jones' SPEED BOTHERED Hopkins throughout the fight and if Roy could've put a combination or two together he might have gotten the NOD. Neither GUYS DISLIKE or PRE-FIGHT talk towards the other was translated into in-ring ACTION, BOTH guys fought CAUTIOUSLY and I thought MOST of the fouling was INITIATED by Hopkins. It's usually the case that the initial TRANSGRESSION is missed by the officials but the retaliation is always caught and penalized..

All and all the fight was a decent one, both guys had their moments and displayed theatrics, but it should've been on HBO Champioship Boxing, and I guess after the PPV numbers come out the HBO Exec's will see it this way too. The undercard fights for these BIG fights this year have been atrocious and Saturday's fights did nothing to reverse this trend.

It's evident to this writer and fan that NEITHER man has anything to prove and that NEITHER man is the man they were 5 or 6 years ago, both WILL go into the HOF together. As for Roy fighting again I will NOT watch him nor am I interested in him fighting any more. To him I say cash your Saturday check and call it a day. I'm also uninterested in Hopkins fighting David Haye who is more than LIKELY to give Hopkins that BEATING he has been able to avoid throughout his WHOLE career. I am kind of interested (a little bit) in seeing how Hopkins would fair against the unheralded and underwhelming Chad Dawson, and after that BOUT win or lose he should also call it a DAY.

Thanks for the memories guys but no thanks for extending your careers beyond 2010.

Jul 24, 2005
Haye wants his next fight to take place in the UK – News

Eric Thomas: Making his first defense of his title, World Boxing Association heavyweight champion David Haye (24-1, 22 KO’s) was quite pleased at the sellout crowd of 20,000 fans that came to see his fight against John Ruiz (44-9-1, 30 KO’s) last Saturday night at the M.E.N. Arena, in Manchester, England. Haye, 29, fighting with a lot of motivation backed by the loud support of the crowd took the 38-year-old Ruiz apart, knocking him down four times before the fight was stopped by Ruiz’s corner throwing in the towel in the 9th round.

Haye could be facing the Klitschko brothers next or possibly a rematch with former World Boxing Association heavyweight champion Nikolay Valuev. Whoever winds up as Haye’s next opponent, he wants the fight to take place in England. In an article at the Sportinglife, Haye said “I got more satisfaction from the Ruiz fight because it was on home soil. It was an amazing atmosphere. It gave me goose bumps. I loved every second of it. Why would I want to fight anywhere else when I can have experiences like that? I’d like to fight in London, but I can’t see how the reception would be better than the M.E.N.”

If Haye fights Valuev, then the fight will be wherever Haye chooses it to be. Valuev won’t have much say so of where the fight will take place because he no longer holds a title. Haye fought Valuev in Germany last November, beating him by a close 12 round majority decision. Without a large British crowd backing him, Haye fought in a timid manner, looking anything but confident against the seven foot Russian.

However, against Ruiz, who at 38 appears to have lost a step or two in the past five years, Haye looked very impressive with his power shots. Haye came out fast in the 1st round and dropped Ruiz with a lightning fast right hand to the head in the first 25 seconds of the round. The crowd may have gotten Haye a little too pumped up at that point, as Haye got overeager and started throwing punches without aiming them and ended up missing a lot of shots and punching himself out in the process. However, Haye regained composure in the following rounds and fought at a much more measured pace to pound Ruiz into submission, knocking him down two more times – once in the 5th and a final time in the 6th.

If Haye does end up fighting one of the Klitschko brothers, the fight might not take place in England. The Klitschkos, both of them, have much more experience at heavyweight than Haye, and will likely be in the driving position to choose where the fight will take place. Haye is still building a following, but unfortunately he’s still a virtual unknown in places like the United States, where the Klitschkos have both appeared periodically over the years.

Haye says “I’d love to fight at Wembly, maybe for one of the unification fights.” If Haye does fight in England, it would take cooperation from the Klitschkos. In the past, they were open to fighting there, but they wanted to ensure that it would have a huge crowd. Haye is a popular fighter in the UK, but he hasn’t yet fought in front of 60,000 fans like Wladimir Klitschko did in his fight against Ruslan Chagaev.
Haye is proud of his recent win over Ruiz, saying “People can use that as a measuring stick. Before Ruiz, they could only judge me on the Monte Barrett and Nikolay Valuev fights and pick holes in those performances

May 25, 2009
Margarito ready to move forward

LOS ANGELES -- Antonio Margarito's promoter and lawyer think it's time for the disgraced welterweight to reclaim both his reputation and his U.S. boxing licenses.

Promoter Bob Arum and lawyer Daniel Petrocelli renewed their criticism of the California State Athletic Commission on Monday for its decision last year to revoke Margarito's license, which still hasn't been restored since glove-loading allegations derailed the former welterweight champion's career in January 2009.

"He sat on the sidelines, and now he wants to move forward," Petrocelli said. "And most importantly, he wants to remove this cloud over what has been a completely unblemished reputation throughout his career. He has been a model citizen in the boxing community. He has been a role model, and this has been a horrendous experience for him, and he wants to clear his reputation and move forward."

Margarito (37-6, 27 KOs) will return to the ring against Roberto Garcia in Aguascalientes, Mexico, on May 8 in his first fight since two suspect knuckle pads were confiscated moments before the former welterweight champ's knockout loss to Sugar Shane Mosley early last year.

A later test determined the wraps contained elements of plaster, but Petrocelli insists the pads weren't the hardened weapons many have suggested. He also says the ingredients detected by the test -- including sulfur and calcium -- can be found in many substances.

Petrocelli insists Margarito had no knowledge the knuckle pads contained anything illegal. The pads had been made before the fight by trainer Javier Capetillo, who also had his license revoked and no longer works with Margarito.

While much of the boxing community has condemned Margarito and cast suspicion on his string of impressive victories, Arum has loudly maintained Margarito knowingly did nothing illegal.

"People who really know very little about the fact would like to sentence this guy to purgatory for the rest of his life, and that's really outrageous and wrong," Arum said.

Arum considered putting Margarito on the undercard of Pacquiao's bout with Joshua Clottey last month in Texas, but wasn't included in the show after criticism from the national Association of Boxing Commissions reached the Texas commission.

Yet Arum confidently predicts Margarito's next fight "is going to be in the United States," perhaps in Texas this summer. Arum also would like to match Margarito against Manny Pacquiao this fall if the pound-for-pound champion can't make a deal to fight Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Margarito's suspect pads were first noticed by Naazim Richardson, Mosley's trainer, who requested the re-inspection that led to the Margarito's eventual downfall. Richardson has said he thinks Margarito should remain suspended from boxing.

Petrocelli has argued both for Margarito's innocence and ignorance while also saying he isn't culpable for his trainer's actions, since trainers are independent contractors. Asked how a boxer possibly couldn't know what was on his own hands, Petrocelli claims Margarito must not have noticed the suspect gauze pad going inside his larger hand wraps.

Many boxers are equally divided on the punishment for Margarito, who's expected to plead his own case Tuesday in Los Angeles.

Kermit Cintron, who was stopped by Margarito in April 2005 and again in April 2008 for the only two losses of his career, told The Associated Press last week he suspects Margarito had illegal wraps on his hands during their bouts.

"I think he had stuff in his gloves, [but] that's just my opinion," Cintron said, replying with an expletive when asked what he thought about Margarito being allowed to fight in Mexico. "You look at those losses, and I don't know how it happened. You guys saw what he did before they caught him."

Multidivisional star Paul Williams, who beat Margarito in a narrow unanimous decision in July 2007, has a much more conciliatory attitude.

"You don't have any proof," Williams said. "I don't think the man should be banned, because that's how he makes his living. I think he should pay a bigger fine, but you can't take away a man's livelihood when there's no proof he's been doing it every time."

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

May 25, 2009
It's time for Hopkins and Jones to retire

Rafael's remark: The promoters, Golden Boy and Square Ring, have done everyone a favor by advertising the fact that there will be no replay of this pay-per-view main event. Good. Let this one go into the dustbin of history never to be seen again. It should be buried forever.

Hopkins and Jones, two all-time great former champions, were meeting in a rematch 17 years after they first met as rising contenders in 1993. On that night in Washington, D.C., Jones outboxed Hopkins to win a vacant middleweight belt. We all know what happened next. Jones became the pound-for-pound king not long after, and he was -- hands down -- the greatest fighter of his era. He would win titles at middleweight, super middleweight, light heavyweight and heavyweight, and dazzle for years while barely losing a round. Hopkins also would blossom, just a little later. He would win the middleweight title after Jones left the division and rack up a division-record 20 defenses before eventually moving up and claiming the light heavyweight championship. All along, their sides talked about a rematch, but it never came to pass until it was much, much, much too late. When they finally agreed to this abomination, Jones was 41, totally shot and coming off a first-round knockout loss to Danny Green. Hopkins was 45, and while he still was regarded as one of the top few fighters in the world, there were few clamoring for a rematch.

Yet they went ahead with it, and few gave a damn. The media coverage and fan reaction were overwhelmingly negative, and only 6,792 people showed up at Mandalay Bay to watch the fight, despite the availability of deeply discounted or even free tickets. Those who stayed away from the arena (or blew off the pay-per-view, as most probably did) made the right call. It was a horrible fight in which neither man did a whole lot other than pose, feint and foul. Hopkins has more left than Jones, but he's fading quickly. Jones has nothing left. All he could muster were some blatant shots behind the head, two of which caused Hopkins to go to the mat in pain in the sixth and eighth rounds. The first resulted in a Jones point deduction, but it hardly mattered because he was so far behind. In the end, the whole thing was just a sad and pathetic mess. It was that way from the reaction to the fight being made to the virtually empty media center during fight week to the thousands of empty seats to the woeful fight itself. After the fight, Hopkins collapsed in his dressing room as a result of continuing problems from the blows behind his head. He had to be taken to the hospital, where he stayed overnight for observation, but he was released Sunday. Jones also had to go to the hospital as a precaution. Hopkins said he'd like a shot at heavyweight titlist David Haye, which is about the worst idea in the history of the world. Jones said he would think about what he wanted to do next. They both should retire. There is nothing left for either to do and no fight that the public would give a damn about. It's over. Everyone seems to know it except them.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5054308

Jul 24, 2005
Haye: “I’ll have a few treats in store for them” [the Klitschko brothers]

William Mackay: If WBA heavyweight champion David Haye (24-1, 22 KO’s) is as good as he talks, the Klitschko brothers are as good as finished when they do finally meet up with the 29-year-old loud talking British heavyweight. Haye says in article at Boxrec, “I’ll have a few treats in store for them [the Klitschko brothers]. I like all the verbals and when my opponent says he will knock me out. It will be a genuine grudge match, they despise me. I am a proper wind up merchant.” I suppose the object is not to respond to Haye criticism. That doesn’t seem to work, unfortunately.

Wladimir Klitschko tried that path when he was briefly on course to fight Haye last year in June, and Wladimir came off the worst for not firing back at Haye. The only way for the Klitschko brothers to beat Haye is to keep the pressure up and try to line up a fight with him to beat him once and for all.

That may prove to be a difficult task, however, because now that Haye has the World Boxing Association heavyweight title in his possession and has defended it one time with a 9th round knockout win over John Ruiz last weekend, Haye is going to be wanting to get a better purse split than what was offered to him last time by the Klitschko brothers. Not only that. Haye also wants the future Haye-Klitschko fight to take place in the UK, not Germany and not the United States.

The Klitschko brothers will likely want the fight to take place in Germany, where both of them are huge stars and very well liked by the German boxing public. Haye says “I don’t want to fight anywhere else. I want to fight a Wembley and wants one of the Klitschko’s in the UK.” That may prove a hard sell for the Klitschko brothers.

While Haye may have been a cruiserweight champion briefly while fighting in the cruiserweight division, he’s only been the WBA heavyweight champion for four months and hasn’t really faced anyone that you could consider to be a dangerous fighter since moving up to the heavyweight division. Haye is an exciting fighter with his knockout power and fast hand speed, but he lacks the experience and hasn’t been a champion long enough for him to dictate where the fight will take place.

Haye and his manager/trainer Adam Booth are going to take the bout that makes brings in the biggest payday next for Haye. Apparently, Haye doesn’t have to fight a rematch with Nikolay Valuev next. However, Haye could still end up fighting Valuev next because Haye will be able to make a good payday against the 7-foot Russian and not face the risk of being knocked out by one of the Klitschko brothers.

It makes a lot of sense, although it would kind of run against what Haye has been saying about him wanting to fight the best opponent. But you can’t blame Haye if he does try to milk his WBA title before facing Wladimir Klitschko and what will likely be another stoppage loss for Haye