Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 24, 2005
Victor Ortiz More Vicious than a Mongoose, But Is He Ready for Nate Campbell?

By John G. Thompson - Various sources have already reported that “Vicious” Victor Ortiz 26-2-1 (21 KO’s) is scheduled to face Nate “The Galaxxy Warrior” Campbell 33-5-1(25 KO’s) on May 15th on the same card as the Amir Khan vs. Paulie Malignaggi fight at Madison Square Garden. This date was in fact scheduled prior to Ortiz’s match on Thursday with Hector “The Mongoose” Alatorre 16-9. No disrespect to Alatorre, but having only won two of his last ten bouts going in, “The Mongoose” was in no real position to challenge Ortiz. Former Super Featherweight and Lightweight champion Nate Campbell, on the other hand, is an entirely different kind of fighter.

Flirting with the mythical pound for pound rankings for several years, Campbell has made a career of late by derailing the careers of up and comers like Victor Ortiz. Campbell surprised many with his win over the younger and then undefeated lightweight champion Juan Diaz, and then went on to soundly out-box the younger and much taller Ali Funeka. In his last bout, Campbell fought another undefeated fighter flirting with the pound for pound rankings, moving up in weight against light welterweight champion Timothy Bradley. This fight was stopped after an accidental head but caused a nasty cut over the left eye of Campbell and he decided not to continue. The cut was originally ruled to have been caused by a punch, which gave the win to Bradley. This decision was justifiably overturned and ruled a no contest. In the stoppage, however, Campbell may have drawn some criticism for not wanting to continue. Bradley was seemingly in control of the fight, and some fans feel that the veteran Campbell took the easy way out and avoided another loss. Of course this was only the third round and any argument about who would have won is merely speculation..

Victor Ortiz also drew some criticism after he quit in the sixth round of his war with Marcos Rene Maidana back in June of last year. This would have been a fight of the year candidate had it gone the distance (or if one fighter had gone out on his shield). In this fight Victor Ortiz was clearly in the lead when he quit, having knocked Maidana down once in the first round and twice in the second. Maidana also knocked Ortiz down once in the first and again in the sixth, taking Ortiz’s best punches and landing good shots of his own. In the post fight interview, Ortiz stated that he did not feel he deserved to take such punishment and had to reconsider some things – certainly not the statement of a future boxing star. In fairness, a fighter’s comments immediately following a difficult contest where he has absorbed numerous headshots should be taken with some degree of leniency. After all, Ortiz bounced back well, stopping Antonio Diaz in the seventh round (due to a cut over the eye of Diaz) and soundly defeating Hector Alatorre in a tune-up bout before the potentially biggest fight of Ortiz’s career.

Though should Ortiz be taking “tune-ups” at this point in his career? The tune-up match is traditionally a fight a champion takes between marquee match ups, or a returning champion takes to shake off the ring rust before a mega fight. If Joe Calzaghe came back to settle things with Carl Froch, for example, he would deserve a tune-up bout first. Perhaps with one or two exceptions, Glen “The Road Warrior” Johnson hasn’t taken a tune-up fight since long before Victor Ortiz even turned professional.

Ortiz moved and showed utterly dominant ring generalship throughout the first nine rounds, never stopping or allowing Alatorre a chance to exchange blows. In the tenth and final round, Ortiz came out swinging from the start landing serious hooks and a vicious uppercut which put Alatorre down. “The Mongoose” got up, but the referee stopped the fight. It seemed obvious to those watching that Ortiz could have stopped Alatorre in the first round if he had wanted. For Ortiz, this fight at Club Nokia in Los Angeles, California was more of a learning experience; a safe way to get in rounds and build his confidence. After all, Ortiz has only seen the tenth round one other time in his career, and against Campbell he may well be stretched to the limit. Unfortunately, Alatorre provided no real test of Ortiz’s capabilities against elite opposition.

If the fight with Nate Campbell does indeed happen, Victor Ortiz has a two inch height advantage and Campbell possesses a two inch reach advantage, so size will not matter. Perhaps Ortiz’s best chance comes if as they say in boxing, Campbell “ages overnight.” At the ripe age of 37, Campbell is fourteen years older than Ortiz. Of course, these are years of ring experience which Campbell may use against Ortiz. This should be an interesting match up and one thing is certain – if either fighter quits, it will mark the end of that fighter’s career. Conversely, whoever wins this fight will certainly be placed near the top of the light welterweight rankings and due a title shot against either Timothy Bradley or the winner of the Khan vs. Malignaggi fight.

Jul 24, 2005
Is Pacquiao’s career complete if he doesn’t fight Mayweather?

By Esteban Garduno: In the teleconference call yesterday, World Boxing Organization welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao said the following: “I believe I don’t really need to fight Mayweather because what I have actually done in boxing right now, I think is good enough for me.” But is Pacquiao’s career really complete if he doesn’t fight Mayweather? I really don’t think it is. Pacquiao fought few recognizable opponents from the start of his career until he fought Marco Antonio Barrera for the first time in 2003. By then, Pacquiao had been fighting for eight years and had won titles in the flyweight and super bantamweight divisions.

However, didn’t take on anyone worth mentioning until he fought a battle scared Barrera in 2003. By that time in Barrera’s career, he had been through two grueling wars against Erik Morales. Pacquiao stopped Barrera in the 11th round. After that fight, Pacquiao fought to a 12 round draw with Juan Manuel Marquez. Beyond that fight, Pacquiao fought two more bouts against Morales, another fight against Barrera, which wasn’t really needed given the one-sided first bout between them.

In 2008, Pacquiao won a controversial 12 round split decision over Marquez in a rematch, a fight in which many people still think Marquez won. Pacquiao never gave Marquez a rematch. Pacquiao fought David Diaz in 2008, but he wasn’t considered to be the best fighter in the lightweight division at the time. Pacquiao then fought and beat and old Oscar De La Hoya, Ricky Hatton and then most recently Miguel Cotto.

Those wins were good. However, none of those fighters were considered to be the best in their divisions at the time that Pacquiao fought them. De La Hoya was old, Hatton was more or less shot, and Cotto still hadn’t looked the same after taking a terrifying beating at the hands of Antonio Margarito in 2008.

As such, I think even with a win over Joshua Clottey, Pacquiao’s next opponent for March 13th, he needs a win over Floyd Mayweather Jr. to ensure he has a lasting legacy. The wins over Diaz, Barrera, Morales (who beat Pacquiao in their first fight), Marquez (a questionable draw and a controversial win), De La Hoya, Hatton and Cotto just aren’t enough in my view to make me think that Pacquiao’s career is complete.

He just doesn’t have enough wins over fighters that were truly considered to be the very best in their weight divisions for me to see Pacquiao’s legacy as a shining one. Hatton, Cotto, Morales, Barrera and the questionable win over Marquez just isn’t enough.

Pacquiao needs to give a rematch to Marquez, still fight Mayweather and ideally Shane Mosley for me to even consider Pacquiao as a great fighter. Without wins over those fighters, then I see Pacquiao as merely a good fighter but not a great one. Unless Pacquiao can find his way into and out of those fights without losing, then I don’t rate Pacquiao as one of the best fighters of all time. I see Pacquiao as having lost to Marquez twice, and I think Mayweather and Mosley would likely beat Pacquiao as well if given the chance.

Jul 24, 2005
Pacquiao: “Maybe he’s [Mayweather] afraid of me”

By Sean McDaniel: WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao said today in a teleconference that he believes that Floyd Mayweather Jr. doesn’t want to fight with him at this time. “Maybe he’s afraid of me or maybe he’s afraid for this fight.” Pacquiao is talking about how Mayweather asked for random blood tests to be taken from both he and Pacquiao before they could fight. The Nevada Athletic Commission only asks that urine be checked, and not blood.

However, Mayweather, 33, believes that only blood tests can detect human growth hormone and he wanted to have that test used before he would fight Pacquiao. Unfortunately, Pacquiao feels weak after having blood taken from his body, even small amount of blood. Pacquiao probably wonders why Mayweather never asked other fighters to submit to random blood testing in the best, and why he chose this time to start with the random blood testing.

Mayweather never did in the past ask his opponents for blood tests, but he is now. His next opponent, Shane Mosley, will be giving random blood tests for a fight with Mayweather. However, that won’t likely change Pacquiao’s opinion about not wanting to take them. He could take them, but it’s unlikely that Pacquiao will agree to have his blood tested within the 30 day window before the fight. Mayweather said recently that before he fights Pacquiao in the future, he’ll want him to take blood tests all the way up to the fight, and not just stopping at two weeks before the fight. That was Mayweather’s request for Pacquiao during their failed negotiations. However, that was a no go.

I would be surprised if Pacquiao really believes that Mayweather is afraid of him. Mayweather doesn’t seem like the type of fighter that would be afraid to fight someone. Mayweather could really just be worried about wanting to make sure that he’s fighting a clean fighter, and if that’s the case, you can’t really blame Mayweather for that. But he’s probably going to change his mind about this in the future, whether Pacquiao thinks he’s afraid or now.

Mayweather seems dead set on Pacquiao taking blood tests before he’ll fight him.
Pacquiao says “I believe I don’t really need to fight Mayweather, because what I have actually done in boxing right now, I think, is enough for me.” This is true. Pacquiao can retire after the Clottey fight and he’d still be one of the greatest fighters in history. By the same token, if Pacquiao chooses to get out of the sport without fighting Mayweather and without taking the random blood tests, some people will wonder about Pacquiao.

You can already see it. Some boxing fans feel that Pacquiao didn’t want to fight Mayweather, and saw the random blood tests as a reason to get out of a fight that might have ended badly for Manny. As good as Pacquiao is, some people feel there would be a good chance that Pacquiao would lose to Mayweather.

After all, Mayweather easily defeated Juan Manuel Marquez recently, a fighter that Pacquiao struggled against twice, and some people think lost both fights against the Mexican fighter. Mayweather beat Marquez like he was a routine sparring partner. It wasn’t even close. So if Pacquiao does decide on night fighting Mayweather in the future, there will be fans that will think that Pacquiao did it to avoid a loss.

Jul 24, 2005
Antonio Margarito is Very Upset With Oscar De La Hoya

By Mark Vester

Former welterweight champion Antonio Margarito is very upset with Oscar De La Hoya. He says the president of Golden Boy Promotions is "sticking his nose" in business that doesn't concern him. In several interviews, De La Hoya voiced his opinion that Margarito should not receive a license to box. The tough Mexican's license was revoked a year ago when a banned substance was found in his handwraps before the fight with Shane Mosley on January 24.

"A lot of people have told me [De La Hoya] is petitioning against me so I don't get my license back. But how does that affect him?" - Margarito said.

The California State Athletic Commission gave him the option of applying for a new license after a one year period. Margarito plans to headline a Latin Fury pay-per-view on May 8. During a recent radio interview, Margarito was at odds over what the CSAC wanted from him to get his license back and why they were preventing him from be licensed in other states.

"If I was given the punishment in California, why send letters to other states asking them not to give me a license? Regardless, I already completed my year of suspension. I do not know what they want from me now. Now, they have to honor their words. This is my job and I need to get into the ring because I can't be so inactive," said Margarito

Jul 24, 2005
Freddie Roach: "We'll Knock Floyd Mayweather Out"

By Mark Vester

Freddie Roach wants WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao to get a piece of Floyd Mayweather Jr. Roach is tired of Mayweather's trash talk on Pacquiao, and says his fighter is tired of it too. They are very angry over Mayweather's comments that suggest Pacquiao is possibly using performance enhancing drugs. Roach wants Pacquiao to get his hands on Mayweather so the Filipino champion can knock him out.

"We're not happy with his remarks and Manny really wants to fight him in the future because of the remarks he made," Roach said. "Manny, sometimes when he's shadowboxing, he shows me how Mayweather fights and how he'll take care of the problem, and I've never seen that before. He's trying to ruin our reputations and so forth, but we want to fight him and we'll knock him out."

Top Rank's Bob Arum doesn't think Mayweather ever intended to fight Pacquiao and used the issue of random drug testing to avoid the contest. Arum predicts Pacquiao would give Mayweather a very bad beating.

"We don't have to be geniuses to know what they were trying to do. They were trying to get into Manny's head so he'd be discombobulated," Arum said. "Mayweather against Manny is a no-contest, no contest. Manny would wipe the ring with Floyd Mayweather

Jul 24, 2005
Juan Diaz wants fights with Valero, Marquez and Katsidis – News

By Dan Ambrose: Former IBF/WBA/WBO lightweight champion Juan Diaz (35-3, 17 KO’s) is eyeing fights against undefeated World Boxing Council lightweight champion Edwin Valero (27-0, 27 KO’s), Juan Manuel Marquez and Michael Katsidis, according to Boxing News. Diaz, 26, says “If Valero wants me, I’ll take it. If Katsidis wants me, I’ll take it. My dream is to at least one of my world titles back at the end of the year.”

That could be a case of wishful thinking for Diaz, because it appears that none of those aforementioned fighters are the least bit interested in fighting Diaz at this point in time. That’s not to say that they won’t be interested in fighting him in the near future, but it appears that they all currently have bigger fish to fry. It’s hard to imagine how badly Diaz has slipped in the past couple of years.

In his last five fights, Diaz has lost three of them dating back to 2008. That’s a dramatic change from where Diaz was at in 2008 before his fight with Nate Campbell. At that time, Diaz was 33-0, and considered by many boxing experts to be the best fighter in the lightweight division.

Campbell, then 36, changed all that by beating Diaz by a 12 round decision in March 2008. Next, it was Juan Manuel Marquez who had his turn in beating Diaz, taking him out in the 9th round in February 2009. And most recently, Diaz made a bad mistake in moving up in weight to light welterweight where he was beaten by former IBF light welterweight champion Paulie Malignaggi by a 12 round decision in December.

Based on how Diaz looked in his last couple of fights, I wouldn’t give him much of any shot of beating Valero, Marquez or Katsidis. Although Diaz defeated Katsidis in the past by a 12 round split decision in September 2008, it’s questionable whether Diaz could still do the same thing now. Katsidis seems to be moving forward improving as a fighter while Diaz appears to be going downhill now.

Diaz might have a halfway decent chance of beating Marquez if they were to fight now, but only because the 36-year-old Marquez looks to have slipped a notch in the past year. However, Diaz had no answers to the uppercuts from Marquez, and once Juan realized that Diaz couldn’t stop an uppercut, he hit him repeatedly with them until he took Diaz out in the 9th.

In a rematch, the fight might end up being stopped much earlier, as Marquez will go after Diaz immediately with uppercuts and make him prove that he knows how to cope with them. My guess is Diaz won’t.

Share and Enjoy:

Jul 24, 2005
Don King Says: "I Told Amir Khan To Stop Hiding"

By Mark Vester

Promoter Don King told WBA junior welterweight champion to stop hiding from real competition. King promotes WBC champion Devon Alexander. He tried to make a fight between Alexander and Khan. He tells Steve Bunce of The Mirror that Khan ran away from the fight.

"I told Amir that he has to come out of hiding and fight one of the champions," King said. "I had a fight with my world champion Devon Alexander lined up but Amir ran away from his promoter Frank Warren and ran away from the deal."

"Amir is a nice young man but he needs to come out of hiding and get on the bus to the big time. There are bigger and better and far more beautiful fights out there for a gifted boxer like Amir. He needs to look at all the other champions at his weight and make a decision - does he want to be a secret or be a British hero?"

Jul 24, 2005
Arum, Schaefer Agree: Floyd Sr. Comments are Idiotic

By Rick Reeno

A lot of people were shaking their heads after reading the recent comments that were made by Floyd Mayweather Sr. on BoxingScene.com. The veteran trainer, and father of Floyd Mayweather Jr., lashed out at Manny Pacquiao on Friday. Despite Pacquiao filing a defamation suit in the state of Nevada; a suit where Mayweather Sr. is a co-defendant - the outspoken trainer continued to voice his opinion that Pacquiao is using performance enhancing drugs.

"He can't beat Clottey without that sh*t in him. Even though he was dehydrated, he couldn't beat De La Hoya without that sh*t. He couldn't beat Ricky Hatton without that sh*t and he couldn't beat Cotto without that sh*t. I don't even think he could beat that kid from Chicago [David Diaz] without that sh*t. He wouldn't be able to beat any of the guys without enhancement drugs, that's what I think. My belief is my opinion and you cannot change it. I know one thing, little Floyd will fight him fair," Mayweather Sr. said.

Top Rank's CEO Bob Arum, who promotes Pacquiao, said the comments made by Mayweather Sr. are "laughable" at this point. He think it's a sad situation because Mayweather Sr. probably believes his own comments.

"I think this only demonstrates just how scared the Mayweather family is of this kid. I think they really believe that sh*t. Some stuff from the military, what the f**k is he talking about? To me, it's total craziness. They are just scared out of their minds," Arum told BoxingScene.com.

"When I say Pacquiao is the greatest fighter that I've ever seen, I believe it. They search for some reason [to discredit that] and come up with a fairy tale. Next they'll say he's not really from the Philippines. They'll say he's from planet Krypton and has kryptonite in him. They have turned Manny into Superman."

When I pressed Floyd Sr. for an answer on what exactly Pacquiao was allegedly taking to fight in such spectacular fashion, he told BoxingScene about some rumors that pertain to a performance enhancer being used by the military.

"It's not a steroid. It's something from the Philippines. Something they use in the army. When you hit the guy with a .45 or a .38 and they keep coming after they get shot. Whatever it is it has to be something strong for you to keep coming forward after you get shot," Mayweather Sr. said.

Arum heard similar comments being made by Roger Mayweather, trainer of Floyd Jr. and brother to Floyd Sr. If Mayweather Sr. has information about an alleged wonder drug from the Philippines, then Arum has advised him to take this information to Washington.

"I heard the same thing from Roger. If they really believe that it's true, then how come he's the only fighter from the Philippines who is so blessed. How come in the whole history of the Olympics, there has not been single a Filipino fighter who owns a [gold] medal. This is like some of the people that swear the aliens have landed. Maybe that's what it is. Maybe Manny is really an alien that landed in the Philippines and came to the United States," Arum said.

"If Mayweather has information about something like that, then he has an obligation to go to Washington and speak with the Chief of Staff so we can get some of that and our troops don't continue to get killed. That's big news, he should take that information to Washington."

The comments being made by the Mayweather Sr. is practically comedy relief to Arum. According to the veteran promoter, he is more bothered by the presence of Golden Boy Promotions in this ongoing saga with the Mayweathers.

"You take what the Mayweathers say, and you know that they are Mayweathers, but the real troublesome thing is Schaefer and De La Hoya joining the army. To me, that smells like greed by getting on the bandwagon with this stuff," Arum said.

Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer is surprised that Arum feels this way. Schaefer wants to make one thing clear - Golden Boy Promotions does not support or control any of the comments being made by Mayweather Sr.

Schaefer thinks Arum is more than justified in his outrage. In fact, Schaefer called Mayweather's comments "idiotic" and agrees that people should move on and leave the subject alone. He thinks Mayweather Sr. is wrong for making these kind of comments about Pacquiao, who Schaefer repeatedly called a "great fighter" during our conversation.

"We have never accused Pacquiao of anything nor will we. We don't control what Floyd Sr. says, so we have nothing to do with that. We are going to continue to maintain - innocent until proven guilty. I believe in that. We're not accusing anybody of anything. Manny Pacquiao is a great fighter, a great athlete, a pound for pound king and innocent until proven guilty. I never have and never will accuse Pacquiao. People should just move off that and move on," Schaefer told BoxingScene.com.

"I think the comments are wrong that he's [Mayweather Sr.] making. He should move on too. I don't control what other people say. I don't control what Arum says, or what Mayweather says. I only control what I say, and I say innocent until proven guilty. The comments that Mayweather Sr. is making are idiotic. There is only one word - idiotic."

Based on his actions, Mayweather Sr. is not intimidated by the pending lawsuit. Both Arum and Schaefer are in agreement - Mayweather Sr. [or anyone else] should face the music for these kind of comments.

"Everyone is held accountable for the comments they make. I think comments like that are wrong. If someone was making comments like that about a fighter who was under contract with Golden Boy, I would be pissed off too. We have a promotional piece of Manny Pacquiao and I think Manny is a great fighter. People should just move on

May 25, 2009
Camp pans Floyd as Clottey looms

Manny Pacquiao ran roughshod through four different sparring partners earlier this week, and boxing's pound-for-pound king plans to churn through just as many on Saturday.

He's been peppering the speed bag, pounding the heavy bag and doing enough running to make Usain Bolt fall over in a heap. Under the watchful eye of trainer Freddie Roach, Pacquiao is putting himself in position to knock out Joshua Clottey when they fight March 13 in Dallas.

"Manny is getting better all the time," Roach marveled after a training session Friday at the Wild Card Gym in Los Angeles. "I know Clottey is a big, strong guy. I respect him, he's a great fighter. But Manny I feel is going to overwhelm him with his speed and combinations, and I do believe we will be the first one to stop him in 12 rounds."

If it sounds simple, that's because Pacquiao has little trouble when fights are decided in the ring. Things aren't so easy when the fight is contested with words.

That continues to be the case with Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr., after their proposed blockbuster fell through because of drug testing protocol. Mayweather and his relatives have accused Pacquiao of using performance-enhancing drugs, either directly or by innuendo, while the Filipino champion has balked at taking a blood test within 14 days of a fight.

Pacquiao will instead fight Clottey at Cowboys Stadium, while Mayweather is headed for a showdown May 1 against welterweight champion Shane Mosley. Along with the verbal jabs, Pacquiao and Mayweather can also fight over who generates bigger pay-per-view numbers.

"We're not happy with his remarks and Manny really wants to fight him in the future because of the remarks he made," Roach said. "Manny, sometimes when he's shadowboxing, he shows me how Mayweather fights and how he'll take care of the problem, and I've never seen that before.

Top Rank promoter Bob Arum

"He's trying to ruin our reputations and so forth," Roach added, "but we want to fight him and we'll knock him out."

Promoter Bob Arum still believes that Mayweather never wanted to fight Pacquiao, and his strict adherence to blood testing -- which is far more extensive than urine analysis required by the Nevada Athletic Commission -- was his way of getting out of it.

"We don't have to be geniuses to know what they were trying to do. They were trying to get into Manny's head so he'd be discombobulated," Arum said. "Mayweather against Manny is a no-contest, no contest. Manny would wipe the ring with Floyd Mayweather."

If that's ever to happen, he'll first have to wipe the ring with Clottey.

The fight appears to be a mismatch on paper, especially considering the rugged fighter from Ghana lost to Miguel Cotto -- the same guy Pacquiao dominated last fall. But just like fights aren't decided with words, they aren't decided on paper, either.

"Joshua Clottey I know is taller and bigger than me, and you cannot underestimate him," Pacquiao said, "because he's a former world champion also."

Clottey has been training in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., for the first seven-figure payday of his career. It would go a long way toward helping his family back home in the dusty city of Accra, where Clottey acknowledges that poverty is a way of life.

"I'm coming to do my best," he said by phone earlier this week. "He is a good fighter. He is the best now. This is the test and I am going for the WBO title. I'm going all out. I have my game plan and I always come to fight."

It's a difficult fight to market because it's not the fight demanded by the public, but that doesn't mean there isn't significant interest. Pacquiao is making an encore appearance on Jimmy Kimmel next week and will soon have a profile in Time Magazine, while Clottey was the subject of a lengthy expose in ESPN The Magazine.

And of course, Pacquiao is running for Congress in the Philippines.

More than 30,000 tickets have already been sold for the fight, and Arum expects the $1.2 billion football stadium just outside Dallas to be filled with about 45,000 fans on March 13.

It may not be Mayweather, but it's something to tide fans over.

"People were looking forward to a Pacquiao-Mayweather fight, that's clear. But Manny has a huge, huge fan base," Arum said. "Every sports fan knows Manny Pacquiao. Our job is to present Joshua Clottey as he is, a bigger guy, a stronger guy probably, a guy who has never been off his feet -- a real test for Manny Pacquiao. That's what will sell this fight.

"I think the public gets it, and I think the pay-per-view is going to do extremely well."

Jul 24, 2005
No steroid testing for Pacquiao-Clottey fight? – News

By Sean McDaniel: According to Wallace Matthews of the Boston Herald, there won’t be any steroid testing for World Boxing Organization welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao or Joshua Clottey for their March 13th bout at the Dallas Cowboy stadium, in Arlington, Texas. Matthews says that a spokeswomen reported to him that “Texas does not test boxers for steroids unless there is a probably cause.” Clottey, 32, isn’t pushing the issue with Pacquiao unlike Floyd Mayweather Jr, who insisted on random blood testing to be conducted before he would fight Pacquiao.

This eventually led to their fight negotiations crumbling entirely and causing Pacquiao to eventually look in another direction and choose Clottey instead of Mayweather. Clottey, who seems just glad for the opportunity to fight Pacquiao, says “I don’t want to do that [ask for steroid and/or human growth hormone testing] because I respect him [Pacquiao] too much. I don’t think Manny Pacquiao would do that. But if he does, then he’s cheating the sport.”

It’s unclear if a fight between Mayweather and Pacquiao can be made in the future because Mayweather will likely not be as accommodating about testing for performance enhancing drugs. If Pacquiao wants to leave it up to the Nevada Athletic Commission to decide what testing methods should be used, it’s unlikely that they will rule in Mayweather’s favor by directing that random blood tests be used to check for drugs such as human growth hormone.

In that case, there probably won’t be a fight between Mayweather and Pacquiao in the future. It might not matter financially, because Pacquiao will do well no matter who he fights. As we see with his bout against Clottey, the bout could end up selling 45,000 tickets for the Dallas Cowboy Stadium and will probably really well in pay-per-view as well. The only problem is that Pacquiao would miss out on a fight that would shape his legacy by not facing Mayweather, and obviously Pacquiao would like to finish his career with a win over Floyd.

There’s talk of Pacquiao possibly retiring after the Clottey bout if he can’t get a fight with Mayweather. Pacquiao has political aspirations and if he wins office, this could be it for him. Mayweather, with Pacquiao out of the picture in the sport, would then take over and regain his status as the number #1 fighter in all of boxing and would likely dominate the welterweight division without too many problems.

Beyond Shane Mosley and Pacquiao, there’s really no one in or around the welterweight division that can give Mayweather any kind of trouble

Jul 24, 2005
Victor Ortiz v Nate Campbell: A step too far a step too soon?

by Daniel Ciminera: Since losing to Marcos Maidana back in June last year, Victor Ortiz has had some serious questions asked of him as a fighter. Especially surrounding his heart and commitment as he quit from the fight with Maidana and has since been criticised for perhaps not taking the loss seriously enough. Personally, I’d tend to agree with Ortiz’s sentiment that (quote) “I’m not gonna go out on my back, I’m not gonna lay down for nobody you know, I’d rather just, hey, you know, I’m gonna stop while I’m ahead and that way I can speak well when I’m older you know.” and later said “I don’t think I deserve to be gettin’ beat up like this”. Not from a fighter’s perspective but, from the angle that he is a young man with a long and prosperous career ahead of him. He does not need to be getting drawn into wars of he magnitude that could potentially have escalated to at this stage in his career.

Ortiz’s first fight back after his first defeat was against Antonio Diaz, a close friend and idol of his. The fight ended after round 6 when Diaz’s corner retired him due to a bad cut above the left eye. The fight was a good one from Ortiz, in that he showed he could get back on the proverbial horse and fight a solid opponent. Diaz proved to be the ideal opponent for Ortiz to regain some of the confidence he may have lost in quitting on Maidana as Diaz pressured and stalked him for the entire fight, even after being himself dropped in the 3rd round from a crashing left hook counter, proving that Ortiz can fight under constant pressure, albeit patient pressure, not the ferocious kind Maidana subjected him to.

After Diaz, Ortiz moved onto Hector Alatorre, this past Thursday night at the Club Nokia arena in Los Angeles, a natural lightweight, whom on the face of it looked like he was forced to put on a tonne of weight in order to fight Ortiz at welterweight. My opinion is that Alatorre was brought in at this weight with zero conditioning so that Ortiz could get some rounds under his belt and practice how to tire an opponent rather than trying to knock out a fresh one. A skill which had he been able to employ against Maidana, would probably have heeded a better result. It was not an impressive win, ok he got the late stoppage but, you can’t help but feel he is, or should be, further along in his career than this performance would lead you to believe. Perhaps if the Diaz and Alatorre fights had been switched around, it may have made more sense in terms of progress.

Against both though, Ortiz stuck to a clear game plan and got the job done. Something he would not have done if, like some say, he was now shot from his beating. However, there were some serious mistakes made by Ortiz in both of these fights. His defence is very slack, especially once he lands clean and tries to throw some fast, hard leather. Maidana exploited this, and future opponents may well follow suit. Also, for a boxer touted as being “fast, accurate and powerful”, Ortiz only landed 37% of his shots against Diaz, and only landed 4 scoring shots in the opening round, which to me is hardly accurate, it is distinctly average.

With Ortiz at such a pivotal moment in his career right now, it could be said that he he is taking too biga risk in taking his next step up too soon (they will be criticised no matter what they do won’t they?!), for on May the 15th, he is scheduled to fight seasoned veteran Nate Campbell (33/5/1). While no spring chicken, Campbell is more than capable of bringing an intense, competitive, melting pot of a fight to Ortiz, who is likely to have to go the 12 scheduled rounds this time out as Campbell is a durable customer who has done the rounds and has the experience to know how to take Ortiz into deeper waters away from his game plan. Campbell, as he shown against opponents like Juan Diaz, is more than happy to stand in front of an aggressive fighter and trade with him. If Ortiz doesn’t tighten up that slack defence of his, Campbell will show him what happens and in a far slicker, more clinical way than Maidana did.

Lets not forget that while Ortiz has awe inspiring power in both hands, Amir Khan stopped him in 2003 as an amateur and he can be hit cleanly and often. If Nate can take the big shots from Ortiz, he certainly has the quality and power to end the fight early. However, if Ortiz puts his trust in his corner and sticks to the game plan, does exactly what he’s told and keeps his defence nice and tight, he can definitely add a 6th defeat to Campbell’s record. Having said that, my hunch is that if Ortiz does not manage some early brilliance and take the knockout, Campbell will take him further and further out to sea as the fight goes on and take the decision by a comfortable margin.

Jul 24, 2005
Amir Khan: Is he for real?

By TJ Amin: Throughout the years the boxing public have been duped many a times into believing a fighter is far better then he actually is. Whether this is down to great promotion, hand picked opponents, intriguing personalities or just biased blindness, the fact of the matter is the boxing fans are being conned time and time again, I see the same thing happening with Amir khan. In terms of the promotional side Amir Khan has made all the right moves, he has moved alliances from the best UK promoter Frank Warren to the best US based boxing promotional company in Golden Boy Promotions.

Unlike another boxing con Prince Naseem Hamed, Amir Khan does not have a flamboyant personality and lacks charisma; to be frank his interviews are downright boring and could be the cure for insomnia. In the past when we have realised we have been deceived, we take a closer look at the boxer and his history and come to the conclusion “we should have known better”.

The same applies to khan, regardless of the skills, talent and trainer he has at his disposal (amazing speed and great trainer in Freddie Roach); a boxer is predominantly judged by what he has done in the ring. This is when the question is asked of what has Amir Khan done in the ring to deserve this elite boxer status? Prior to getting brutally knocked out by Bredis Prescott, he fought nobody worth mentioning (in the process getting knocked down by guys named Michael Gomez and Willie Limond).

He then beat Oisen Fagan (another nobody), an over the hill Marco Antonio Barrera on cuts, which granted him an undeserving world title fight against the one of the weakest champions in boxing. To Khan’s credit he easily dismantled World Boxing Association light welterweight champion Andriy Kotlenik, and then went onto beat Dimitri Salita (another nobody) in impressive fashion. Next up is Paulie Malignaggi, a man who has fallen well short when stepping up to the elite level. With all this being said I am sure we are still going to fund the khan cash register until he is shown up for what he really is, that’s is a over hyped and below elite level skilled boxer with a weak chin! Naseem Hamed, Jeff Lacy, James Toney. I think we soon we will be adding Khan’s name to the long list of what I personally consider boxing pretenders.

Jul 24, 2005
Cloud vs. Johnson called off – News

By Eric Thomas: The April 10th fight between International Boxing Federation light heavyweight champion Tavoris Cloud (20-0, 18 KO’s) and Glen Johnson has been called off after Cloud signed with promoter Don King. Cloud also has a hamstring injury, so he wouldn’t have likely been able to fight on April 10th regardless of whether he signed with King or not. However, in place of the Cloud-Johnson fight, Celestino Caballero (33-2, 23 KO’s) will be taking on Daud Yordan (25-0, 19 KO’s).

That fight be an even better option than watching Cloud battle against 41-year-old Johnson, so I’m not complaining. Caballero currently holds down the WBA super bantamweight title and is interested

Jul 24, 2005
Was the Mayweather-Mosley altercation staged?

By Chris Williams: In today’s press conference at the Nokia Theater in Manhattan, New York, Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Shane Mosley were briefly involved with a brief shoving match after the two of them met at the center of the stage to stare each other down and exchange trash talk. Mayweather gave Mosley a shove that looked as staged as I’d ever seen. Mosley didn’t look the least surprised by the shove and immediately came after Mayweather and grabbed both of his hands and seemed to be in control after that.

However, it looked really fake and contrived the whole thing. If this was something planned, which I think it was, Mayweather and Mosley need to do a little better acting job to make the boxing fans believe that they really have some animosity brewing between them because as it is, the whole scuffle looked badly acted out. It reminded me of some of the bad acting I see when I watch the professional wrestling shows with their fake theatrics before they start to wrestle.

What was funny in today’s press conference was when Mayweather’s advertiser Leonard Ellerbe fell to the floor during the scuffle between Mayweather and Mosley. And Mosley, being a good guy, came out of angry character all of a sudden and tried helping Ellerbe off the floor. It was comical. As for the rest of the press conference, it was much more tame.

Mosley said “It’s been a long time since I got a chance to show the world that I’m the best fighter, and that’s all that I really want, to be the best. I’m going to take my hat off to Mayweather, because I didn’t think I was ever going to get a fight from any of these top fighters. He said, ‘Yeah man, I’ll take that challenge. I’ll fight you.”

Mayweather said “I can’t say how many fights Shane has won in the past because we know Shane was using enhancement drugs. That’s something we do know. It’s no different than Pacquiao. I offered Pacquiao the fight. I said, ‘We’ll give you $25 million.’ I never met a man who wouldn’t take a $25 million drug test.”
Mayweather has been using that quote about Pacquiao an awful lately, and I’m not surprised that he’s still using it now. Hopefully, he comes up with some new material about him. This is getting old.

Jul 24, 2005
Mayweather-Mosley fight is sucking the air out of Pacquiao-Clottey

Mayweather-Mosley fight is sucking the air out of Pacquiao-Clottey
March 2nd, 2010
By Esteban Garduno: After only one press conference, the Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Shane Mosley news has pretty much taken all the air out of the upcoming March 13th fight between World Boxing Organization welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao and Joshua Clottey. You can make an argument that both Mosley and Mayweather are better speakers, better at the promotional side of things, but whatever the case, the Mayweather-Mosley fight appears to be shoving news about the Clottey vs. Pacquiao fight off the front page.

But it’s really not that surprising. The Pacquiao vs. Clottey fight appears to be a terrible mismatch even if you twist things around and give Clottey credit for almost beating Miguel Cotto in his last fight. Almost doesn’t cut it, and I’m not one of those writers who thinks that Clottey should have been given the decision over Cotto when they met last year in June.

Clottey lost that fight. He got tired around the 10th and basically gave the fight away. He’s a good fighter, but I don’t see him as a top number #1 contender no matter what the WBO thinks. The Mayweather-Mosley fight appears to be just all around much better fight. That’s not Pacquiao’s fault. He just fights the guys that his promoter puts in front of him.

I suppose Pacquiao could have stood up and asked for someone different like Andre Berto, Shane Mosley, but Clottey is what we he’s stuck with. However, it’s sad to see the Mayweather vs. Mosley fight getting talked about more than the Pacquiao-Clottey fight, because the Mayweather fight isn’t taking place until May 1st, while the Clottey vs. Pacquiao fight is happening in less than two weeks. That’s not a good sign at all. I think they may have misjudged the interest in this fight.

What I don’t see happening for this fight is the promotion of it. Where’s the advertising? I don’t see any advertisements on HBO, nothing in the newspapers, no commercials, nothing. It’s like the fight isn’t even happening. When I ask casual fans about the Pacquiao-Clottey fight, none of them have even heard about it. That tells me that Top Rank, who is promoting both Pacquiao and Clottey, isn’t putting money into this fight for some reason.

Why are they holding back on the advertising? Is it that they’re seeing this as a pure profit fight because of the diehard Pacquiao fans who will purchase this fight on pay per view regardless of whether Pacquiao fights someone good or not? The fight supposedly is close to selling out the Dallas Cowboy stadium, with nearly 45, 000 tickets purchased.

You would think with that money, they could turn around and put it into advertising to make this fight a bigger success. Of course, I don’t know that any amount of advertising will be able to make Clottey a gem of an opponent. He’s perhaps too flawed to paint him as a knockout artist or as some kind of unbeatable fighter. He’s been beaten already three times and is coming off a loss in his last fight. You’d have to gloss over those little nasty facts to try and build him up as a good opponent for Pacquiao. So maybe it’s best that money isn’t poured into advertising the Clottey vs. Pacquiao fight.

Jul 24, 2005
Schaefer: “There is already a tremendous demand for [Khan-Malignaggi] tickets”

By William Mackay: Despite World Boxing Association light welterweight champion Amir Khan having never fought in the United States before, there is already a big demand for tickets to his fight against former IBF light welterweight champion Paulie Malignaggi on May 15th at Madison Square Garden, in New York. In an article at the Guardian, Richard Schaefer, the CEO of Golden Boy Promotions, says “We [Khan] have concluded a deal to fight Paulie Malignaggi. There is already a tremendous demand for tickets, and we anticipate that it will be a sellout. We were thrilled for Amir that he signed with us. But those criticizing him should hold off. He insisted he wanted to come to the U.S. and fight the big names. For him to start his career in New York, at Madison Square Garden, against an accomplished fighter, is exactly what he wanted.”

An argument can be made whether Malignaggi is an accomplished fighter or not. He did win the International Boxing Federation light welterweight title, that’s true. However, Malignaggi didn’t hold onto the title for very long, and fought a number of less than stellar opposition and won some controversial victories. Malignaggi ended up vacating his title to fight Ricky Hatton and was promptly dominated and stopped in the 11th round in November 2008.

You can say that Malignaggi accomplished some things, but his time holding the IBF title was brief, and I can’t see Malignaggi ever winning another title at light welterweight. Many boxing fans wanted to see Khan face WBA light welterweight interim champion Marcos Maidana instead, but I guess he’s not accomplished enough for Khan to fight, even though he is the WBA interim champion, which I suppose is an accomplishment. Maidana also defeated top light welterweight contender Victor Ortiz last year in one of the most exciting fights of the year. Malignaggi has lost two out of his last four fights, but I guess he’s more accomplished than Maidana.

Schaefer continues “He [Khan] is really serious about taking on all comers in the division and at 147 in the next few years, and wants to challenge himself.” Well, that’s nice to see. I guess that means that Khan will be fighting Maidana next and then Timothy Bradley after that. Don’t count on it. Khan won’t be fighting Maidana next. I have no idea who it will be, but I seriously doubt it will be Maidana.

And I don’t think it will be Bradley, Devon Alexander, Juan Urango, Ricardo Torres or even Kendall Holt. Khan and Golden Boy were hoping to match Khan up with 36-year-old lightweight Juan Manuel Marquez, but after initially showing some interest in fighting Khan, Marquez went quiet and didn’t follow up and pursue the bout. Marquez looked poor in moving up in weight recently in a fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr. last year, losing a one-sided 12 round decision to Mayweather.

It seems pretty obvious why Marquez would suddenly be an appealing opponent. Malignaggi has zero power, and thus is no threat to hurting or stopping Khan. This should be a win for Khan unless his chin is worse than I thought it was. After that, it will be interesting to see whether Khan takes on all comers like Schaefer says or if he continues to be matched against light hitters and opponents he can easily beat.

In his last fight, Khan defeated Dmitri Salita in a 1st round knockout. In looking at how slow Salita was, it’s hard to believe that the WBA actually had Salita ranked at number #1 in the light welterweight division

Jul 24, 2005
Alexander-Urango: Devon and Juan fight it out in the, most competitive division

By Peter Wells: This Saturday 6th March at Mohegan Sun Casino in Connecticut two fighters in the most highly competitive division of them all will meet in a WBC/IBF showdown. Devon Alexander the new World Boxing Council Light Welterweight champion of the world comes into the bout undefeated in just 19 pro fights, recently defeating British boxer Junior Witter. At 23, Alexander The Great from St Louis stands 5’7” with a 71” reach.

In the opposite corner will be tough warrior Juan Urango, the Colombian is a strong 22-2-1 at the age of 29. The Iron Twin is exactly the same height and has the same reach as Alexander.

Urango has been to Welterweight, but was unsuccessful and has shown great resistance and loves to dish out punishment to vulnerable opponents. Devon has to prove on Saturday he isn’t a vulnerable fighter. Alexander doesn’t want to go down the same road as Victor Ortiz, who was put in with a fighter like Juan Urango, who if your not ready then they’ll expose it.

If Juan can get Alexander into the trenches then he could put Alexander in deep waters, they question is, will he swim or sink? In the first round Alexander will be more focused on finding his footwork and getting in range, while Urango plods forward with his usual high held tight guard blocking the few punches that come his way. Alexander will be told by his corner before the fight to be patient, because this won’t be an easy contest. Alexander will start to liven the pace in round 2, showing the crowd his aggressive but calm style.

In rounds 3 and 4, Urango will start to go for his shots, getting in range and landing while Alexander is on the way out. Alexander will look quick, but won’t be able to avoid everything as he comes in with combinations. Devon will slow up a little in round 5, knowing he can’t get hit too many times downstairs, as Urango does so often. Urango will carry on approaching Alexander and pinning him on the ropes for split seconds to take the round.

Urango will start to come forward with more intent and will have longer spells in control in rounds 5 and 6. In the 7th Alexander will move more freely, scoring from different angles and giving the slower Urango big problems. Juan will start to feel like he’s being humiliated and will have to change his game plan. Alexander will still look lively in the 8th, bouncing in and out, landing very little flush but only taking very few in return.

Urango will start to catch Devon in the 9th, going to body then head, as he looks more and more desperate. Alexander will slow down again in the 10th, but still making sure he doesn’t get caught flush. In the 11th both fighters will start to go for the big finish, Urango going forward like a train, while Devon moves side to side trying to land those prefect shots that retired Witter.

In the last round Urango will forget about his guard and go all out, but Alexander will be too fast and land counters on the desperate face of Juan Urango. The fight will end with a huge burst from Alexander who will for the first time in the fight have Urango in serious trouble. Alexander will be way up on points and will be given the decision clearly by 5 or 6 rounds

Jul 24, 2005
David Haye can defeat the Klitschkos

By Dennis Broadhurst: In looking at David Haye and lokoing at the Klitschkos I think that Haye can beat them both. Haye is an extremely fast and powerful heavyweight with good footwork and decent head movement. Haye has the offensive abilities to take out anyone but can also be taken out himself because of a rather weak chin.

Haye vs Vitali: Vitali looked good in his fight against Arreola who he dominated and dismantled and while Arreola had power he had extremely poor movement. Vitali looked slow against challenger Kevin Johnson is his last fight and I think will be even slower against Haye because Haye will likely set a faster pace. By the time Haye and Vitali fight, Vitali may have gotten even slower. I see Haye’s speed, power and skill being enough to win him a decision or even a knockout over Vitali, I firmly believe that if Haye lands his best combintation on anyone then they will drop. Prediction: 12 round unanimous decision for Haye.

Haye vs Wladimir: While Wladimir may be offensively more dangerous than his brother Vitali, he is much more vunerable in the chin department. I think good pressure from Haye could result in an early knockout of Klitschko and I think that he would make a mistake by being too cautious. I think that if Haye puts on the pressure early then he has the best chance of winning. Prediction: KO before round 6 for Haye

Jul 24, 2005
A little over a week before Pacquiao-Clottey and everyone is talking about Mayweather

By Dave Lahr: In case people haven’t noticed, there’s a little over a week to go before the Manny Pacquiao vs. Joshua Clottey fight and everyone is talking about the May 1st fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Shane Mosley. If it wasn’t so sad it would be hilarious. The Mayweather fight won’t be taking place for months, yet it’s all that’s being talked about. I know there’s a lesson in here somewhere. The Mayweather vs. Mosley fight is a true super fight, whereas the Pacquiao-Clottey is just a mismatch any way you look it.

And to think that fight is going to be taking place in the huge Dallas Cowboy Stadium. You got a huge stadium for a mismatch fight. I don’t how they could even sell this fight. Clottey is someone that few people have heard of, and this is what happens when you take on a small named fighter instead of standing up going for Mayweather or Shane Mosley.

Mayweather is doing a bang up job of promoting his fight with Mosley in the past week. In contrast, I don’t hear a peep from Clottey or Pacquiao. When I do read stuff from them, they’re saying nothing but a bunch of nice stuff, just praising one another back and forth. Clottey can’t stop saying how happy he is to have been selected for the fight.

It’s like Clottey has been brought in to lose. He has no trainer, and I don’t see anyone busting their backsides to make sure he has one. It’s a fight where Top Rank, who promotes both Pacquiao and Clottey, will do well and make a killing in this fight. But it’s not going to compare to the numbers that the Mayweather vs. Mosley fight puts in. I just don’t see much interest in this fight. Even if Arum put a ton of money into advertising for this fight, people probably still won’t care.

Unless you’re a big Pacquiao fan, there’s little reason to watch the Pacquiao-Clottey fight. You know who’s going to win. Clottey is a slow fighter, doesn’t throw many punches, fades early, has no right hand, doesn’t move his head and covers up most of the time. It’s going to be like watching an execution rather than a boxing match.