Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 24, 2005
Has Racism Chased Amir Khan Out Of Britain?

by John Wight - Good luck to Amir Khan with his decision to sign with Golden Boy and focus his career in the United States from this point on. There are undoubtedly many reasons for the young Bolton fighter’s decision, but money surely isn’t one of them – not for a young man who’s already made more than enough in his short career thus far. Nor will it be because he’s been unhappy with his relationship with Frank Warren, the man responsible for shepherding his pro career since he returned to the UK with an Olympic silver medal from the games in Athens back in 2004. Indeed, Frank Warren deserves much credit for bringing Khan on the way he has, especially after his one defeat at the hands of Breidis Prescott in 2008. After such a devastating KO Khan’s confidence would inevitably have been shaken, and lesser promoters might have struggled to coax him through the inevitable months of depression and doubts which followed. That Khan has bounced back from that low point in such convincing style is in no small way a credit to Warren, who never for a second lost belief in his protégé, even when the knives were out among the UK boxing literati, though to read some of them literature is obviously a word from an ancient language..

In a pure boxing sense this is a move that makes complete sense, and its timing could not be better. Since decamping to LA to train under Freddie Roach, Khan has embraced both Freddie’s training regimen and the southern Californian lifestyle, where year round sunshine sits in stark contrast to UK winter weather which this year has been bad enough to make the South Pole seem like a better alternative.

There’s also the mouth watering prospect of being matched against and beating the sport’s elite, winning the respect of what remains the most educated and sophisticated boxing public there is (an apology here to my fellow Brits, but credit where credit is due) at the same time. Amir Khan’s incredible speed and rate of improvement under Roach makes both of the aforementioned well within his grasp over the next few years, and I for one will be watching his career with interest from here on in.

However, we should not fall into the trap of fooling ourselves that boxing is the only reason for Amir Khan’s decision to cut his ties with the UK. In fact, I would even go as far to suggest that boxing isn’t the main reason. Regardless of those who think otherwise, the world of sports does and cannot exist in isolation from the world around it and in Britain anti-Muslim racism has poisoned society to the point where it’s impossible to pick up a newspaper or watch the TV news in Britain today without a negative stereotype of Muslims or Islam staring back at you. Khan, the highest profile Muslim sportsman in the country, has heard the boos at his fights over the years, not to mention noticed the glee with which many welcomed his one and only defeat as a pro thus far, and knew in his heart that much of it was motivated by good old fashioned racism.

In a country where it has long been customary to talk about ‘going down to the Pakis’ to buy some milk and bread, many reading this will be entitled to question if much has changed in British society when it comes to the common perception of Asians living in the country. Well, with two wars in the Middle East and a so-called War on Terror currently being waged, to be an Asian in the UK today is to be marked out as the enemy within. Khan, quite rightly the pride of the Britain’s Asian community, sadly but almost inevitably has been the target of much of the accumulated fear and ignorance that exists among a significant section of the British public for the reasons described.

The fact is that Khan has never conducted himself in public with anything less than integrity and professionalism, making himself readily available for interviews and never less than courteous and polite when conducting them. He could well have afforded himself the opportunity of the platform which fame has brought him to air some political views, to turn himself into a spokesman for his people, speaking out against the war and the Islamophobia that is now common currency in the country of his birth. Personally speaking, I wish he would.

Yet having said that one gets the distinct impression that this is a young man who knows his limitations, knows that a young Ali he is not, and sees his purpose in life at this point in time exclusively tied to what takes place inside the ring and nowhere else. This approach has no doubt been the advice given by those around him, including and especially Frank Warren, a man whom you cannot help but feel views politics as a minefield best avoided when it comes to the business of selling tickets and pay-per-view hits.

Ultimately, the ills of society find their reflection in the world of sports, where men live their unfulfilled dreams vicariously through the victories of their heroes, as well as vent their frustrations and prejudices against those they identify as the enemy. Sports, some say, is a metaphor for war, with boxing especially providing an excuse to indulge primal instincts which centuries of civilisation, not to mention the courts, have taught us to avoid and suppress.

For far too long, Asians in Britain have been regarded as second class citizens, verbally abused at will, their customs and religious beliefs derided and disdained. But a new generation has emerged of young Asian men and women who are proud, unapologetic and who do not ask but demand to be treated with dignity and respect. In deciding to move his career stateside, Amir Khan has just served notice that he refuses to be judged by the colour of his skin or his religious beliefs in his country of birth any longer.

Jul 24, 2005
Hatton: What are the chances that Ricky’s comeback will end in failure?

By Nate Anderson: In looking at how badly out of shape that Ricky Hatton has become in the past eight months out of the ring since being starched in two rounds by Manny Pacquiao last May, I have serious doubts about whether Hatton, 31, will find any kind of success in his comeback no matter how brief it might turn out to be. Hatton was seriously knocked out in the Pacquiao fight for over three minutes.

I mean he wasn’t just knocked out in the normal way of saying it. He was actually knocked cold by Pacquiao in that fight and looked really bad. If this was the case of Hatton being hurt in a fight I could excuse it a little. However, Hatton was stopped in his fight with Floyd Mayweather Jr. in December 2007, and then following that fight Hatton was again hurt, this time in a fight with Juan Lazcano.

Hatton didn’t get stopped in that fight thankfully, but he was staggered a couple of times by the light hitting Lazcano. Hatton did pick up a win over Paulie Malignaggi in November 2008, but Hatton was facing a weak puncher in that fight and had nothing to fear about.

Hatton has said recently that he plans on coming back for a fight or two, but hasn’t mentioned whom he will be fighting as of yet. I think it doesn’t really matter who it is at this point. I see Hatton being knocked out pretty much by anyone he faces. If I was Hatton and I really wanted to go out with a bang, I would try to get the very best possible fight I could just in case things ended badly.

I don’t know if Hatton is thinking along the same lines, but he should. It would be sad if Hatton took on one of the paper champions hoping to pick up an easy title like Amir Khan did with the weak punching Andriy Kotelnik and then end up getting knocked out by that fighter. I think Hatton should go for the biggest money fight he can get, because I think things are going to end badly for him regardless if he chooses a lesser top fighter.

Ideally, Hatton should go after Pacquiao, Mayweather or Shane Mosley in the next year, but given how badly he was knocked out and because of his subsequent inactivity and ballooning up in weight, it just doesn’t seem all that likely that any of those fighters would be interested in fighting Hatton.

In that case, Hatton should take the next best thing which is a fight against Amir Khan. I think Hatton will end up getting slaughtered by Khan almost as badly as he did against Pacquiao, but the fight would still be a huge one in the UK, and Hatton could go with a big payday. That seems like the better alternative than taking on a fight that he feels is winnable but one that doesn’t pay as well, and still end up getting knocked out.

Jul 24, 2005
Gamboa vs. Mtagwa this Saturday night – News

By Jim Dower: World Boxing Association interim featherweight champion Yuriorkis Gamboa (16-0, 14 KO’s) will be facing the tough Tanzanian Rogers Mtagwa (26-13-2, 18 KO’s) on Saturday night at the Madison Square Garden, New York, New York. Gamboa, 28, an unbeaten 2004 Olympic Golden Medalist for Cuba, will be facing the toughest opponent of his three year pro career against the durable and powerful Mtagwa.

Although Gamboa is heavily favored to win the fight because of his blazing hand speed and excellent pressure offense, Mtagwa, 30, may make it tougher than he would like it to be with his power and his constant pressure. Mtagwa is a lot better than his record suggests, and recently came close to defeating World Boxing Organization super bantamweight champion Juan Manuel Lopez in October.

Mtagwa ended up losing the fight by a 12 round decision, but he had Lopez badly hurt from the 10th round on, battering Lopez in both the 11th and 12th rounds. Somehow Lopez was able to last out the remainder of the fight and ultimately win by a decision, but Mtagwa had him on the verge of being stopped in both the 11th and 12th rounds with his power shots.

Mtagwa took a lot of punishment in rounds one through nine, however, and was dropped in the 5th round. But he never stopped coming forward and seemed to drain the fight out of Lopez with the high pace that he set in the bout. Mtagwa figures to do the same thing with Gamboa on Saturday night. The question here is whether Mtagwa’s strong chin will be able to hold under the pounding from the big shots from Gamboa.

While Mtagwa was able to take the shots from Lopez in his last fight, Gamboa figures to be a tougher task because he hits harder than Lopez and has better hand speed. Mtagwa has been stopped twice previously in his career against Valdemir Pereira and Orlando Salido. However, it’s been four long years since Mtagwa has been stopped, so it might not be as easy for Gamboa as it has been against his 16 previous opponents during his pro career.

Gamboa is one of the new stars in boxing, and he seems to be the real thing. However, the one weakness that Gamboa has shown is with his chin. He’s been put down a number of times already during his young career, even against non-punchers. Say what you will about Mtagwa not having the greatest of boxing skills, but he can punch and has a good chin.

If he can stay upright for nine or ten rounds against Gamboa, there’s a chance he could get to him late in the fight and make it interesting. The difference here is that Gamboa, if he sees that the knockout isn’t going to happen, will likely get on his bike and stay on the move in the later rounds of the fight like he did in his bout with Darling Jimenez in May 2008.

Gamboa was knocked down in the 4th round of that fight, and shortly after that he spent more time on the move and less on trying to slug it out with Jimenez. This might what Gamboa has to do if he has problems with trying to dent Mtagwa’s sturdy chin.

Jul 24, 2005
Mayweather-Mosley steals the thunder away from Pacquiao-Clottey bout

By Chris Williams: The recent news about a possible mega fight between unbeaten welterweight star Floyd Mayweather Jr. (40-0, 25 KO’s) and World Boxing Association welterweight champion Shane Mosley (46-5, 39 KO’s) has drained away a lot of the interest in the March 13th fight between WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao and Joshua Clottey given the huge positive reaction by boxing fans on the net.

It might not have taken a fight against a talented fighter like Mosley for this to happen, because the Pacquiao-Clottey fight doesn’t appear all that interesting due to Clottey’s recent defeats, his low work rate and his tendency to fade by the 9th round of his fights. It’s pretty obvious that Pacquiao is going to end up outworking Clottey in the fight and win by a lopsided 12 round decision, even if Pacquiao takes some punishment along the way.

However, the Mayweather-Mosley fight appears to be an even match between two of the best fighters in the welterweight division. It’s difficult to pick a winner in this fight because both of them are so evenly match with their boxing ability and physical skills.

Although the fight hasn’t been signed, it looks as if it’s going to happen. Mosley, 38, was slated to fight WBC welterweight champion Andre Berto later this month on January 30th in a unification bout. However, Berto lost family members in the tragic earthquake in Haiti recently and is can’t fully concentrate because of this.

This leaves Mosley looking for an opponent to fight next. It worked perfectly for him and Mayweather, as Floyd was badly in need of someone to fight after his talks with Pacquiao fell apart recently over the random drug testing methods for the fight. Now, it’s looking like Mayweather are set to take part in one of the more evenly matched mega fights that we’ve seen in some time.

In recent years, there’s been a number of mega fights involving Oscar De La Hoya being pitted against Mayweather and Pacquiao. We’ve also seen Pacquiao facing Ricky Hatton and Miguel Cotto. None of those fighters appeared to be even remotely as competitive as the Mayweather-Mosley bout in my view. This is a truly a fight where you don’t know who will win and it makes it really appealing for the boxing fans.

Mosley is considered to be the top fighter in the welterweight division right now because of his win over Antonio Margarito last year. Mosley may have lost a controversial 12 round decision to Cotto in November 2007, but Shane still appears to be the top guy in the division right now based on how he looked against Margarito. He had been trying to get a fight with Pacquiao last year, and even was willing to meet him at a 143 catch weight.

Instead, Pacquiao chose to fight Cotto, who had been recently destroyed by Margarito only a year earlier.

Mayweather has fought only once in the past two years, beating an undersized bloated Juan Manuel Marquez by a 12 round decision in September. Mayweather looked great, albeit against a smaller fighter than him. He won’t have that advantage against Mosley, who is an inch taller than Mayweather and is a legitimate welterweight as opposed to Marquez, who had moved up only recently from the super featherweight division to the lightweight class.

The Pacquiao-Clottey fight appears, at least to me, to have the makings of a mismatch. I liked Clottey as a fighter until seeing him get dominated by Margarito in December 2006. Like a lot of his fights, Clottey looked good for about four or five rounds and then seemed to run out of gas entirely letting Margarito dominate the rest of the fight and easily win.

This is kind of how I see the Pacquiao-Clottey fight going and I can’t get excited about it. And it looks like boxing fans aren’t quite as exciting judging by the way that few of them are giving Clottey any real chance to win the fight. It’s too bad that Pacquiao didn’t opt to fight someone like Paul Williams instead. That would have been a great fight.

Jul 24, 2005
2010 – Great Year of Boxing

By David Anderson: What seems to be the biggest upset for us boxing fans turned to be one of the most exciting year for boxing history. Late in 2009, rumors exist that a potential fight between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. was set to happen on March 13, however due to some contract demands, the fight did not push thru. Instead Manny signed a fight with Joshua Clottey on the same fight date. Clottey, for some was virtually unknown. Many boxing fans did not know that Clottey exhibits one of the best defense and one of the toughest chin. Also some hardcore boxing fans even considered Clottey as the winner with his last fight against Cotto. In addition, his two other loss was also questionable.

On the other hand, there are also rumors that Mayweather will set to fight Shane Mosley on May 1. Andre Berto (Prayers for the souls of his relatives and Haitians) canceled his fight against Mosley on Jan 30 due to the catastrophic event that happened to Haiti. This will make Mosley to be available for May 1, and if the rumors are true, we are all invited for a wonderful 2010 of boxing. Imagine that we will have a 4-man tourney to settle who is the best welterweight fighter of the decade.

The winner of Pacquiao-Clottey fight will go against the winner of Mayweather-Mosley and the winner will be declared as the kings of the Welterweight division. This time, no excuses is to be made, no silly contracts demands is to be offered, ducks will be clearly visible. We will see the best to fight only the best. I hope the fight of Mayweather and Mosley is true. I hope it is not only rumors, not a tease but a gift to us fans.

I hope this 4-man tourney would come true. I also hope that it will happen too with the lightweight division, Maidana-Khan, Bradley-Marquez/Malignaggi (your bet). I also hope that Paul Williams-Kelly Pavlik , Sonsona-Valero, Donaire-Darchinyan should all happen this year. If all these came true, we are on a promising and revival of boxing.

Jul 24, 2005
Mosley Will Agree To Mayweather's Testing Demands

By Rick Reeno

A source with knowledge of the negotiations has advised BoxingScene.com that WBA welterweight champion Shane Mosley will agree to a contract clause that calls for random drug testing during the training camp period for a potential fight with Floyd Mayweather Jr. in May. Golden Boy Promotions is working around the clock to finalize a deal for a Mayweather-Mosley welterweight collision. After years of hype, the negotiations heated up on Monday when Andre Berto announced he was withdrawing from his fight with Mosley, scheduled for January 30 on HBO.

Mayweather's demand for random drug testing in the Manny Pacquiao negotiations was the sticking point that killed their planned showdown for March 13. Pacquiao was willing to take an unlimited amount of urine tests but had an issue with taking random blood tests within 30-days of the fight. Both sides budged a bit. They didn't budge enough to get the fight done. Mayweather presented a testing cut-off date of 14-days. Pacquiao wanted the blood tests to stop at 24-days - and he was willing to take a blood test immediately following the fight.

Pacquiao has never tested positive for any performance enhancing drug, and neither has Mosley. But during the BALCO scandal, Mosley did admit before a grand jury that he unknowingly used performance enhancing drugs while training for a 2003 rematch with Oscar De La Hoya.

This is not the first time that an opponent has requested additional testing for a fight with Mosley. In 2008, Zab Judah was being lined up for a pay-per-view headliner with Mosley. Because of the BALCO scandal, he made a demand for additional drug tests. Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer rejected Judah's request - but Mosley did not. He was willing to take the additional tests to eliminate any post-fight protests from Judah. Considering Mosley's position in the past, it's not surprising that he's willing to take additional tests for a far more lucrative opponent in Mayweather.

Jul 24, 2005
Pacquiao vs Margarito Clash is Possible, Says Arum

By Ryan Songalia

Promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank told BoxingScene.com that he is considering hosting a Manny Pacquiao fight at the new Meadowlands Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ in the Summer. Arum mentioned Antonio Margarito as a possible opponent. Margarito is still under suspension for attempting to use loaded handwraps in his fight against Shane Mosley a year ago.

Arum believes Margarito will be reinstated later this week at a California State Athletic Commission hearing.

Speaking at a Madison Square Garden press conference to announce the WBO welterweight title clash between Manny Pacquiao and Joshua Clottey, Arum marveled at the Filipino turnout for the initial press conference the day before at Cowboys Stadium, the site of the Pacquiao-Clottey fight on March 13.

He approximates that "1,000" Filipinos were on hand at the kick-off press event on Tuesday. "There are Filipinos are all over the country, not just the West Coast."

Arum says New York Giants co-owner Steve Tisch is "a very close friend" and is "jokingly pissed that we're in Cowboys Stadium."

"There's no stadium like Cowboys Stadium but they say the new stadium in the Meadowlands is absolutely tremendous so we'd love to do it there," said Arum.

A Summer fight would be feasible as long as no complications arise from Pacquiao's upcoming political campaign. Pacquiao is running for congressman of Sarangani, a Filipino province in his native Mindinao. The election is scheduled for May.

Don't hold your breath for a Pacquiao-Mayweather fight however, Arum cautions. He says he isn't very optimistic the fight can be made due to differences between the two parties.

"Mayweather is a bully. That was my message today, you don't bully a Filipino."

Pacquiao says he believes the fight will happen one day and blames Mayweather for the fallout of their proposed matchup.

"Maybe Mayweather don't really want the fight because he had too many reasons to cancel the fight. He makes his own rules that are not in the Nevada Athletic Commission. I think he thinks he's smarter than anybody.

"I think he thought that he's the champion. He has to stay humble and give back to the people that support him. He's too concerned with his record and losing."

Although Pacquiao rejected the 5'11" WBA junior middleweight champion Yuri Foreman recently, Arum doesn't believe the size difference with the equally-tall Margarito will be too dramatic given the former welterweight champion's posture.

"He doesn't feel that Margarito presents the same problems as Foreman. Margarito is a tall guy but he crunches over so he's not really that tall. Yuri fights tall."

Boxrec.com has Margarito scheduled for a fight against journeyman Carson Jones on the Pacquiao-Clottey undercard. Calls to Jones' representative Bobby Dobbs were not immediately returned.

New York and New Jersey - particularly Queens and Jersey City - host some of the biggest Filipino communities in the United States. Approximately 60,000 Filipino-Americans take residence in New York City alone.

Meadowlands Stadium is scheduled to open this April and will be the home field for the NFL's New York Giants and New York Jets. It has a maximum seating of 82,500, second only in size to the Washington Redskins' FedEx Field.

Jul 24, 2005
Pacquiao Thinks Floyd is Shook; Roach Likes Hatton-Khan

By Mark Vester

Trainer Freddie Roach is very open to a fight between WBA 140-pound champion Amir Khan and the comebacking Ricky Hatton. The two British stars are now both under contract with Golden Boy Promotions. Once Khan signed with Golden Boy last week, the potential for a Hatton fight began to heat up.

Roach was recently approached by Hatton with an offer to train him but he turned it down. While he thinks Hatton should retire, he would like to see him fight Khan if he plans to go through with ring return.

"Ricky asked me if I would train him when I was in the UK the last time and Ricky's a good guy but I can't say I think he should retire one moment and then train him in the next, so I won't be training Ricky. But if he is going to fight again I would like Amir to fight him, yes," Roach said.

Pacquiao Thinks Mayweather May Have Been Scared?

WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao thinks Floyd Mayweather Jr. used the issue of random drug tests to avoid their fight. He told reporters that Mayweather may have used that excuse because he actually afraid to lose his unbeaten record. The super-fight between Mayweather and Pacquiao was close but they couldn't agree on the exact date for the random drug tests to stop.

"He didn't want to fight me," Pacquiao said. "I think maybe Mayweather is scared to lose."

Jul 24, 2005
HBO's Greenburg on Pavlik-Williams, Amir Khan, More

By Rick Reeno

The first half of 2010 is shaping up to be a big year for HBO. BoxingScene.com had a chance to catch up with Ross Greenburg, president of HBO Sports, to discuss a number of potential fights that are being negotiated for his network.

One of more popular news items over the last few days is the American debut of Amir Khan, which may take place in the month of April. Khan recently signed a promotional deal with Golden Boy Promotions. Golden Boy's CEO Richard Schaefer would like to make a fight for Khan in the month of April. Greenburg is really excited about Khan's debut in a showcase fight on HBO. He says 22-year-old British fighter has the potential to become a superstar.

"We're excited about Amir Khan. You know, before Richard even got his hands on him, we were looking at Amir Khan and developing him into what we think could be a potential superstar in the sport. He is someone that we really have our eyes on," Greenburg said to BoxingScene.com.

Several opponents have been mentioned for Khan. One name that was mentioned by Khan's trainer Freddie Roach is former champion Juan Manuel Marquez.

"That's pretty exciting. If that fight can be made, that's one hell of a debut on HBO," Greenburg said.

The middleweight triangle between Kelly Pavlik, Paul Williams and Sergio Martinez is still ongoing. There is talk of Pavlik facing Martinez, and Williams having a rematch with Martinez - but the public wants to see Pavlik and Williams settle their unfinished business. For nearly two years, fans have been waiting for Pavlik-Williams. The promoters, Top Rank and Dan Goossen, could not get it done in 2008. They finally reached a deal in 2009, but Pavlik's battle with a serious staph infection on his hand forced the fight to be postponed, twice - and then the fighters went in their separate directions.

Greenburg doesn't deny the network's preference for Pavlik-Williams. They understand the public demand is there, and obviously he wants the fight to happen. But if it doesn't, he views Martinez as a solid opponent for either guy.

"I think we were there but for a variety of reasons that fight didn't happen and it's certainly the fight that most people would like to see made. But given the kind of performance that Martinez put up against Williams, he would be an able opponent for either of those two. I think if we could clear up this anger between the two sides, then Pavlik-Williams would be a nice fight," Greenburg said.

Another possible brawl in the works is a heavyweight collision between Chris Arreola and Tomasz Adamek [provided he beats Jason Estrada] for April 24. Greenburg expects a lot of fireworks if that fight gets finalized. He was advised by Pat English [attorney for Adamek's promoter Main Events] that a lot of progress is being made in their negotiations with Arreola's promoter Dan Goossen.

"One hell of a fight and we're eyeballing that one too. We are all over it. We are going to come out swinging this year and these are all really good fights. They are making a lot of progress. I asked Pat English today about how the talks with Goossen were going and they are going well," Greenburg said.

To clear up some confusion, we discussed the HBO date of April 17. Several possible fights have been mentioned for that date, and several promoters believe they will get the date. Everything from a Lucian Bute fight, to a Kelly Pavlik fight and even Amir Khan American debut has been mentioned for April 17. The Bernard Hopkins-Roy Jones Jr. pay-per-view was also mentioned for that date. Schaefer advised BoxingScene on Monday that Hopkins-Jones will likely move to April 3.

"We're going to try to develop something to keep everyone satisfied but we really need to figure out [the situation], like if Pavlik fights Williams then one of those April dates, the 10th or the 17th will be theirs. They are all in the mix. Right now we are all right in the middle of juggling and trying to figure out who will get the ball in their lap," Greenburg said.

Jul 24, 2005
Pacquiao Still Targeting Mayweather, Wants Him in 2010

By Mark Vester

WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao is still hoping for a big fight with Floyd Mayweather Jr. in 2010. Pacquiao told a group of reporters on Wednesday in New York's Madison Square Garden that he believes the fight will take place at another time. The fight was close to a deal a few weeks ago but a dispute over random drug testing caused the deal to fall apart. Pacquiao will now fight Joshua Clottey on March 13 and Mayweather might go against Shane Mosley in May.

"I believe the fight will happen some other time. It will happen. I'm still hoping the fight will be pushed through, maybe by summer time," Pacquiao said. "It would be a good fight if it happened."

Pacquiao is still upset that Mayweather alleged that he was using performance enhancing drugs.

"I'm honest, and a clean fighter," Pacquiao said. "I want to clear my name because I'm a very honest person. I'm very disappointed for what he accused me of. I'm clean. I'm not cheating. I'm a very honest fighter."

Jul 24, 2005
Pacquiao Will Not Return to 140, Full Time Welterweight

By Rick Reeno

BoxingScene.com was advised by Freddie Roach, trainer of Manny Pacquiao, that his fighter is a full time welterweight and plans to stay at 147-pounds for the remainder of his career. If a challenge presents itself from a lower weight division, like a Timothy Bradley, the opponent in question would have to move up in weight to face Pacquiao at 147-pounds.

The upcoming fight with Joshua Clottey, on March 13, is Pacquiao's third fight at welterweight. Pacquiao stopped Oscar De La Hoya at 147 in December 2008. He went down in weight for a fight with Ricky Hatton last May, but went right back up welterweight to fight Miguel Cotto at an agreed-upon weight of 145 last November.

"No, he will not return to 140. Manny is going to stay at welterweight. He has the power and he has the speed. Manny will stay at 147 and defend his welterweight title," Roach said to BoxingScene.

Jul 24, 2005
Amir Khan-Juan Manuel Marquez is On The Table

By Rick Reeno

BoxingScene.com was advised by Freddie Roach, trainer of WBA junior welterweight champion Amir Khan, that a fight with Juan Manuel Marquez is on the table. Contrary to widespread media reports, Roach says there is no set agreement to fight mandatory Marcos Maidana. In fact, Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer told BoxingScene on Monday that he simply postponed the WBA's mandated purse bid for another two weeks to give himself additional time to reach an agreement between Khan and Maidana, who are both under the Golden Boy banner.

"There has been talk about Paulie Malignaggi at The Garden but they are worried about ticket sales and Paulie filling The Garden. That's what I'm told. I would like to kick Paulie's @ss because he's talking about my fighter [Manny Pacquioa]. He's an expert on steroids too now," Roach told BoxingScene.

Roach advised Khan to avoid a Maidana fight for a little while to allow the hype to build up. He doesn't think there is enough buzz or money in the match. He was approached by Golden Boy about the possibility of fighting Juan Manuel Marquez and Roach accepted that fight.

"I asked him not to fight Maidana right away because I think that fight needs to be built up. He is not well known enough and there is not enough money in that fight. If it gets built up, it could be a real big fight, so the thing is we are going to fight someone else and they just asked me if we would fight Marquez and I said 'yes we will fight Marquez.' So that's going to be on the table now and that's a possible opponent also."

Roach doesn't want Khan to vacate his title but if the WBA forces the Maidana meeting, he is not sure on the exact direction they will take.

"Amir is very proud of his title and he doesn't want to give it up. Maybe we could put Maidana on this undercard [Khan-Marquez] and build the fight up a little bit better and maybe the winners could fight each other," Roach said.

Jul 24, 2005
Mayweather-Mosley: Atlas, Steward Break it Down

By Rick Reeno

The news hit everyone like a ton of bricks. Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer disclosed on Monday that he is aggressively trying to finalize a deal for one of the biggest fights in the last few years, Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Shane Mosley. If the deal gets done, the fight will likely take place on a May date in Las Vegas. To get some expert analysis on the fight, BoxingScene.com sat down with two of the better known trainers in the sport, Emanuel Steward and Teddy Atlas.

If the fight is actually made, Atlas will give Mayweather a lot of credit for stepping up to the plate. For the last few years, Mayweather has been criticized for cherry-picking his opponents. Mosley is regarded by most as the best welterweight in the division. Atlas views Mosley as the toughest opponent Mayweather could possibly secure. He respects Mayweather's move even more because the mega-Manny money is not involved. A very dangerous fight, but Atlas expects the younger Mayweather to pull it out.

"I think it's a very interesting fight. I think its a tough fight for Mayweather. For Mayweather it's the toughest fight that he could have taken. You have to give him credit. It's no Pacquiao fight. Mosley has never been a high cash register. I'm sure he's made a lot of money and he's set for life but he's not of those cash register guys who brings that kind of money to a fight. He was a good solid guy at lightweight who ran out of opponents and moved up, but Mosley never became a Sugar Ray Leonard type like he attached his name to. He's getting older now and he's still a terrific fighter but he never reached that level of automatic sale when people heard his name," Atlas told BoxingScene.

"I have to give Mayweather credit for going from a $40 million dollar fight to a guy like Mosley, who is every bit as dangerous. Maybe Mosley is not the same with the volume punching and the speed [of Pacquiao], but he has that strength and experience but brings a lot less money. I don't know if it's the smartest thing to from a business standpoint but it is an interesting fight."

"It's going to come down to who has that fire. Shane has enough left. He's strong, solid technically although I think Floyd is better technically. It's going to come to come down to who has more fire in the fight. When you get older, the thing that you lose the most is that "go get em fire" and people blame fighters for not pulling the trigger, but it's not just that. When you get older, you get to that point where you don't take the same risks that you did when you were younger. That energy to find at way to do those little extra things. The energy to find that rhythm. And there will be some dangerous moments for Mayweather, but I think he will skate by. It's a dangerous fight. A very risky fight for Mayweather, but I expect him to skate by."

Steward believes Mayweather was backed into a corner when Pacquiao selected Joshua Clottey as a March 13 opponent. He needed to do something big, or even bigger, and the biggest thing he could accomplish was to go after Mosley. Anything less than a Mosley fight would have been a disappointment. He predicts an excellent fight where both guys have a lot to prove to their critics.

"It's a very interesting fight. It's very intriguing. It creates a good situation where the two winners of those credible fights [Pacquiao-Clottey, Mayweather-Mosley] can meet in a major fight in the fall. They both have something to prove. Shane will be very emotional because it's his first chance to get into these super fights after being shut out for so long," Steward said.

"For Mayweather, it's the first fight [at welterweight] where the public has accepted his opponent as a real true challenge. Before this, it was little guy after little guy but the public will accept this fight as a true challenge. Mayweather gets to say 'I'm not a coward, I'm fighting a true welterweight.' He's been pushed back into a corner somewhat because after Pacquiao got Clottey, who is also a very credible opponent, he needed to come back with something big. He can't come back with something secondary. The fight is a toss-up."

One question mark in the fight is inactivity. By the time fight comes around, Mosley will be coming off a near 16-month layoff. In his last fight, on January 24, 2009, he wiped the floor with three-time welterweight champion Antonio Margarito. The same question mark applies to Mayweather. He returned last September, after a near 2-year layoff, to dominate an undersized Juan Manuel Marquez. In other words, Mayweather has only had one fight since December 2007. Atlas doesn't see the inactivity hurting Mayweather, but it may hurt Mosley.

"It will hurt Mosley as far as dealing with the immediate. It will hurt Mosley a little more because he's been inactive for a longer period of time. Mayweather may have had one fight and before that a long layoff but he fought a solid guy and went twelve rounds. For the immediate, I think his youth will serve him. Mosley will be hurt a little but his great experience will minimize the damage of being inactive. He will make it up, not completely but he will make up some of that damage with his experience," Atlas said.

Steward told BoxingScene that he doesn't see inactive playing a role in the fight. Maybe with other fighters. Not with Mayweather and Mosley.

"I personally don't think so. Both guys are training hard all the time. These are guys who are always in the gym and it will balance itself itself out. These are not guys who have to be in a fight to be in the gym. They love to be in the gym. They are not the kind of guys who stay away. You have guys, when they are off, they don't go near a boxing gym. These guys are different. We have two hard training guys. A very intriguing fight," Steward said.

Jul 24, 2005
Roach sees Clottey as “passive”

By Eric Thomas: Freddie Roach, the famous trainer of Manny Pacquiao, sees Joshua Clottey as a passive fighter, according to writer Nick Giongco of Tempo.com/ Roach says “Clottey is passive. Manny fights every second of every round and Clottey doesn’t do that. He just raises his arms.” I think what Roach is talking about with Clottey is that he often spends a considerable amount of time in every round just covering up and trying to block incoming fire. In that regards, Clottey’s style is much like Super Six tournament super middleweight contestant Arthur Abraham, who often spends much of every round just covering up and looking to block punches.

Abraham comes alive in the last thirty seconds of every round and often wins the round with a hard flurry of shots. In contrast, Clottey tends to shoot his fireworks off in the early part of each round and then looks to cover up and try to block shots after he tires out from his exertion. Abraham has big power in either hand. Clottey has moderately good power and needs to throw an accumulation of punches to get his opponents out of there.

Despite all that, Roach says “it is still going to be a hard fight because Clottey is big and strong.” Clottey reportedly walks around at 175 pounds of mostly muscle. When he does have to get down to 147, he doesn’t have much of any fat to strip off, and because of that he takes off water weight to get down to the 147 pound limit.

Once the weigh-in is over, Clottey re-hydrates back up in weight and comes in bigger than many of his opponents. All fighters do this, but with Clottey is might seem more pronounced because his frame is mostly muscle. Ideally, Clottey might be better suited to fight at middleweight because of the amount of muscle on his frame, but at 5’8”, Clottey would be short for the middleweight division.

Jul 24, 2005
Shane Mosley vs. Floyd Mayweather JR: The Next Best Thing?

By Mike “Mykers” Boehm - The trials and tribulations of Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather JR have no doubt brought fans some hard luck. We watched as the fight was signed, sealed, and well…almost delivered. While specifics are a bit unjust, and highly opinionated; a new story has evolved. That is, a potential Shane Mosley vs. Floyd Mayweather super fight. While this bout seems to present most of the community with a “eh” type of attitude, will this fight potentially become the next best thing for Floyd Mayweather, or even Shane Mosley?

For quite some time, Shane Mosley has eagerly been awaiting a super fight with the undefeated kingpin, Floyd Mayweather JR. This comes as no surprise to most, who witnessed Mosley intervening during the post fight chat, while Mayweather was conversing with Max Kellerman after the Marquez bout. True to his nature, Floyd was a bit disgusting with Shane’s relentless call-outs, and accused Mosley of disrespect. The flipside is Shane Mosley is a welterweight warrior. A true warrior who has never declined, dodged, or evaded the supreme beings of the lightweight, welterweight, and light middleweight divisions..

Of course most fans do not need my arguments to justify Shane Mosley’s disposition in boxing today. Though, it seems the Mosley versus Mayweather match should become the next best thing for boxing. Nonetheless, I would imagine that most onlookers would view this fight as erroneous, constantly bashing the ultimate demise of Mosley himself. It’s this aspect alone that will ultimately draw the fans, and cause the gears to turn on who will win, and/or dominate this matchup.

Most professional fighters who face Mayweather are simply mismatched, give or take a few opponents. Floyd Mayweather has proved that he is a supreme being in the welterweight division with his fast adjustments and work rate. Consequently, it seems strange that a Mosley/Mayweather fight has never ensued because Mayweather is known for hand-picking opposition he can fare well against. Call me crazy; doesn’t it seem strange that these two welterweight fighters have never squared off against each other in the ultimate welterweight showdown?

When you compare both fighters to each other it seems there is no contest. Floyd Mayweather has perfected his art of boxing under the tutelage of Roger and Floyd Mayweather SR. His fast adjustment rate, lodged with his supreme defensive tactics, makes Floyd the better fighter. However, both fighters in Mosley and Mayweather possess experience, power, knowledge, and a “can do” attitude in the ring. For veteran fighters alone, it seems Mosley’s only advantage would remain in his fists. No doubt, Shane has shown recently, that his power has not diminished at all. On the flipside Mayweather also has decent power, but nothing relative to Mosley.

A quick two step comparison to Mosley and Mayweather would be Antonio Margarito, and Juan Manuel Marquez. While these two prospects might not be the best comparison it will suffice for our fancy. How would Mayweather fair against Antonio Margarito? With Mayweather being a sound tactical technician, it seems Mayweather would have no problem blasting the “Tijuana Tornado.” On the opposite end of the ring, it would appear Mosley would most likely dominate, or even knockout Juan Manuel Marquez the same way Mayweather did. Nevertheless, it seems these comparisons would ultimately prove no one is the better man in this aspect.

Supposedly, the date for this welterweight clash is May 1, 2010. However, neither party has officially signed any paperwork just yet. According to Golden Boy Promotions, they already have the arena reserved for May 1at Mandalay Bay. Then again folks, this is boxing; anything can happen! Ultimately, the concept of this welterweight clash seems likely. Shane Mosley has been patiently waiting for this opportunity to get his crack at Floyd Mayweather. This, along with the fire burning inside of Mosley will no doubt cement a great fight for the year of 2010. As for the outcome; there are so many probabilities on who will win and/or dominate this fight. Either way, this is one fight that will ultimately solidify the welterweight division, and bring prized hopes to the winner of this welterweight clash.

Jul 24, 2005
Who says boxing is in trouble - 2010 is shaping up just fine

By Paul Strauss - There are always doomsayers hovering around the sport of boxing. They tend to exaggerate the negative and fret like old hags, trying to pass off every little hiccup as an impending calamity. But, unlike the sign holders who occasionally show up on street corners, these bearers of bad news never seem to go away. They present themselves as concerned fans of the sport, and argue that they just want the best. Then they go on to forecast the demise of their beloved sport. Thankfully their impact has been negligible. Boxing last rounds have been predicted more often than Mickey Rooney's and Elizabeth Taylor's divorces..

Currently, the naysayers portray boxing as its own worst enemy, and they predict it will destroy itself from within. There are those that say boxing is suffering greatly because boxing goes the way of the heavyweights, and currently we lack a champion with charisma. Another group says MMA is killing the sport, and that boxing needs to readjust its goals to cater more to needs of that crowd. There have always been allegations of corruption, set-ups,
record padding, crooked decisions, and plain old incompetence. But, somehow the sport survives, and much of the time silences, at least momentarily, its critics and goes on to even thrive.

Boxing enjoyed a great year in 2009 with record gates, huge fights in the lighter weight divisions, and the emergence of some new super stars. Oh sure there was controversy and some black eyes occurring outside of the ring, but often times what should have been a negative just generated more interest and brought attention and curiosity to the course of events. The sport continued to move forward and kept its fans and maybe even created a few more.

The doomsayers felt the failure of the Pac Man vs. Mayweather fight would ruin the upcoming year and once again possibly turn fans away. Don't you believe it. Look closely at what has all ready been lined up for the coming months. Still this month we have JuanMa's and Gamboa's fights. Gamboa fights Mtagwa, who gave JuanMa so much trouble, and JuanMa faces the only once beaten Luevano. If both emerge victorious, then their clash is inevitable. John Duddy also shows up on that card, and it will be interesting to see if he can resume his push ahead for a title shot.

Still in January, ESPN will be headlining Jesse Brinkley from The Contender show and his eight win streak will be on the line against Curtis Stevens, who has only tasted defeat twice in his twenty-three fight career. That will be coming to you from the Reno Arena, Reno, NV. Then Showtime will be featuring bantamweights Chris Avalos vs. Jose Nieves on a card in Albuquerque, NM.

Minnesota's Matt Vanda has been reinventing himself, winning his last three and coming off of a big upset win over the then undefeated super middleweight knockout artist Phil Williams. Vanda will be facing Peter Manfredo, Jr. at the Mohegan Sun Casino, Uncasville, Connecticut. They might not be the cream of the crop, but they will undoubtedly put on an exciting main event.

Wait a minute, January is still not done. Next we go to the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino, Las Vegas, NV to get another look at the rocket like rise of Erislandy Lara. He is matched up against the tough and dangerous Grady Brewer. Lara is undefeated and Brewer has won his last eight.

Throw in a heavyweight bout here and there, and what is always an exciting appearance by Jorge Arce, and then we have the huge matchup between Allan Green and Sakio Bika.
The winner of that one will move on to fight Andre Ward in the Super Six Tournament. That gives us two big fights, plus the other matchups in that tournament between Froch and Kessler and Dirrell and Abraham.

There's Adamek and Estrada, Klitschko and Chambers, Urango and Alexander, a PPV with Fernando Montiel, and Nonito Donaire, and heavyweights Danny Williams and David Tua will also see action. Dallas will showcase its new (billion dollar plus) stadium when it hosts the extravaganza between Pac Man and Clottey in March. Despite those lamenting the demise of the big fight, this one will prove to be both memorable inside the ring and at the gate. Then we have a fourth fight between Rafael Marquez and Israel Vasquez (quit drooling).

To top things off, we now have the very real possibility of the long awaited matchup between Floyd Mayweather, Jr. and Sugar Shane Mosley. That could happen as soon as the March 13th date, but look for it to probably take place in May in Las Vegas. That will be a lollapalooza, and it takes us through less than half the year. You've got to admit there's a lot of potential excitement packed into that schedule, and just as one punch sets up another, these fights will set up winning combinations for the second half of 2010. Boxing might have some scars and bruises, and every year has to weather some set backs, but it has and will continue to fight off any attempt at a submission hold and will remain alive and well. Happy New Year boxing fans.

Jul 24, 2005
Looking forward to Mayweather-Mosley

By Dezzie Lightbulb: Who in his right mind could deny that of the two upcoming welterweight clashes, Mayweather-Mosley and Pacquiao-Clottey, Mayweather-Mosley is by far the more exciting prospect? In the sad absence of the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight this is certainly the next best thing. Fans have been willing this fight to happen for years. This would be Mayweather`s biggest challenge for years. This fight is the chance Mosley has wanted for years. This bout could so easily become a legend. It has just about all the required elements to rightfully claim to be a genuine `super-bout`.

The further prospect of the winners of each fight meeting later on in 2010 is even more exhilarating. What a truly historic fight that would be! And then for that matter, why not stage another fight between the respective losers? The failure of the Mayweather and Pacquiao negotiations might well turn out to be a blessing in disguise. We could end up having four really competitive welterweight matches this year, and at least two of these would certainly become instant classics.

This is exactly the sort of `shot to the arm` boxing needs. Great fights in a hugely competitive division. And let us not forget that the four boxers mentioned above are by no means the only great welterweights today. Also considering the recent trend of division hopping, who knows who might pop up or down to stake a welterweight claim? At last, things are really `hotting` up.

Emmanuel Stewart and Teddy Atlas have recently started a build up campaign to build up this fight. They tell us how brave Floyd is for taking on Shane. They both go on to give their own personal takes on the fight, how close it will, how emotional it will be, and how big a test it will be for each fighter. It really does seem that this is going to be one of those `whatever-you-do-don`t-miss-it` fights.

And then I woke up…

I`m sorry, guys, but I just don`t buy it. I think it must have been the `you gotta get excited about this`, hard-sell by Stewart and Atlas that brought me back to my senses. I mean this is Teddy `Alleged e-mail` Atlas and Emmanuel `I never actually saw it` Stewart we are talking about. You don`t have to be Einstein to work out where their allegiances lie. One recent article here on Boxing News 24 sports the title “Mayweather-Mosley steals the thunder away from Pacquiao-Clottey bout”, and that is a true statement. The thunder of a match that IS going to take place between two of the world`s best welterweights is being stolen by a hypothetical bout. Mayweather-Mosley has been a simple figment people`s imagination for years. This bout, in my opinion, is no closer to becoming a reality than it ever was, and will remain forever imaginary. Sorry Teddy, I don`t have to give Mayweather credit till he actually fights.

Just look at the timing of the two bouts. They have been planned 6 or 7 weeks apart. Could that be just long enough to come up with an excuse as to why the fight cannot go ahead? Broken ribs in training? Sore finger, have to retire? Trainer not collecting his 200 dollars as he shoots past GO? Or even simpler, one of the fighters asks for too much money so the whole deal falls through. Or there`s a dispute about some sort of unprecedented demands.

By now we should all be aware that outside the ring boxing is often more akin to chess than to a straightforward combat sport. Promoters think 3, 4, 5, or more moves ahead. How easy it would to `steal the thunder` from a good fight by pretending there will be an even better fight at some time soon afterwards. You can`t cheat at chess, but you can be as devious as you like. Both Mayweather and the guys at GBP are probably very angry with Pacquiao right now. A move like this would not at all be surprising

Jul 24, 2005
Froch interested in Bute and Pascal bouts

By William Mackay: World Boxing Council super middleweight champion Carl Froch (26-0, 20 KO’s) appears to be thinking beyond his next fight in the Super Six tournament and is thinking about fights with IBF super middleweight champion Lucian Bute and WBC light heavyweight champion Jean Pascal, according to Thisisnottingham..

It seems rather bizarre that Froch, 32, is thinking about a fight with either of those two, because Froch struggled badly in his first fight in the Super Six tournament in a controversial 12 round split decision win over Andre Dirrell. Froch barely won that fight while fighting in front of a home town crowd in Nottingham, England. Froch has a fight coming up next against former WBA super middleweight champion Mikkel Kessler on April 17th in the stage 2 part of the Super Six tournament.

Froch had this to say about Bute “If he’s available I’d go over to Canada and fight him. He [Bute] is a good operator with fast hands and tidy skills and he demolished [Librado] Andrade in their rematch.” Froch needs to slow down his ambition for a second. He still has a fight ahead of him with Kessler in Mikkel’s home country of Denmark. That fight is no walk in the park for Froch, who struggled badly against his last two opponents Jermain Taylor and Dirrell.

I could understand Froch talking about wanting to fight Bute if he had dominated Dirrell and Taylor instead of going life and death with them. Froch has a fight against Arthur Abraham in the stage 3 part of the Super Six after his fight with Kessler in April. But by looking at Bute, it’s like a person who has a room full of chocolate that would take him years to eat asking for even more on top of that. Froch should just focus on the Kessler fight and hope he doesn’t get beat.

Froch also had this to say about Jean Pascal, an old opponent of his, saying “If Pascal beats [Chad] Dawson then Froch vs. Pascal II is a reality.” Dawson and Pascal will possibly be fighting in June 2010, if Pascal’s bum shoulder is healed up by then. Pascal looked poor in his last fight beating Adrian Diaconu by a lopsided 12 round decision in December in a fight that was held in Pascal’s adopted country of Canada.

I thought the scores were ridiculous for that fight and had Diaconu winning the bout by a round or two. Pascal fought with one had much of the time after his shoulder came out of the socket on him. In the second part of the fight, he did little other than throw an occasional flurry. I don’t see the point in Froch wanting to go over old ground by fighting Pascal again. Froch needs to be moving forward not going back towards his glory days. Anyway, I don’t see a Froch-Pascal fight happening for a couple of reason.

First of all, I see Froch losing to Kessler in his next fight. And second, Pascal will not beat Dawson. There’s no way that’s happening. Dawson is bigger, stronger and the much better boxer in my view and I see Pascal getting a boxing lesson by Dawson. Pascal barely beat Diaconu, who would likely be in serious trouble against a fighter like Dawson.

No, Froch should focus on the Super Six tournament and just try not to get wiped out in his next two fights against Kessler and Abraham. What good is it thinking about Bute and Pascal if Froch can’t get by Kessler and Abraham? I doubt those guys will want to fight Froch if he’s been beaten in back to back fights.

Jul 24, 2005
MANNY PACQUIAO ANSWERS SOME TOUGH QUESTIONS

By G. Leon

Q: Some people think that there's a cloud over your head, they are suspicious about [the claims that you must be on performance enhancing] drugs. I know you're upset about these allegations, and there's no proof. What made you decide you wanted to file a lawsuit agaist those people?

Many Pacquiao: "Because it's ruining my reputation and my name in boxing. I'm doing it the right way."

Q: In other words, the lawsuit was a way for you to answer those allegations?

Manny Pacquiao: Yes.

GL: Do you think Joshua Clottey [who you will fight on March 13th] is a more difficult fight, in some ways, than Floyd Mayweather?

MP: I think so, because Clottey is a tough fighter and he's strong. He's a good fighter also.

GL: You never make predictions, but [your trainer] Freddie Roach told me he thinks you're going to knock him out. Any thoughts on this?

MP: I never make predictions on my fights, because who knows what's going to happen in a fight.

Q: What do you think of the talk now that Mayweather will be fighting Shane Mosley? Do you think that fight will happen, and how do you think that fight will come out?

MP: If that fight happens, it's a good fight.

GL: Who do you think will win?

MP: It's a good fight, but I'm going to say Mosley.

Q: Mosley made a comment the other day saying there were some questions with you about drugs. That it's questionable, he didn't say you used drugs, he said it's questionable. With his backround, and his history, are you surprised he would say that about you?

MP: Mayweather's accusations are making people think that way. I've never used drugs in my life, and in my boxing career. I belive in God, and what I have done is train hard for every fight, and pray to God. That's all I have done.

GL: Even though you're focusing on Clottey, are you a little dissapointed you're not going to be fighting Mayweather?

MP: I'm dissapointed, but I believe that the fight will happen. If not this time, then some other time.

GL: Not if Mosley beats him though, right?

MP: (laughs)

Q: Manny, politics aside, after you run for office, later in the year, do you want to fight again?

MP: I don't know yet. After this fight, I'm going back home to run for office.

Q: Is that like a fight for you? You didn't win last time, what will make this time different for you?

MP: The last time, I wasn't prepared. Now, I'm very excited, because I feel prepared this time.

Jul 24, 2005
OUMA TARGETS ANGULO, CINTRON OR WHOEVER HBO WANTS

By G. Leon

Following his questionable decision loss to Vanes Matirosyan, a loss nobody on Boxingtalk believed Ouma deserved to endure, the pride of Uganda has made it clear to Boxingtalk that he wants to return to the ring as soon as humanly possible. Kassim Ouma said, "I know I beat that kid, he knows I won and I know his people will never let him fight me again. I took him to school on short notice, imagine what I would do to him with the right amount of time to prepare. "Once (Matirosyan) turns down the rematch, I want to fight the best. Bring on Cintron, Angulo, Kirkland, anybody, I'm ready to kick some butt and whoever they put me in with next is in for a long night."