Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 24, 2005
Bert Cooper To Return To The Ring Next Month

by James Slater - "Smokin'" Bert Cooper, onetime protégé of the legendary Joe Frazier (hence the "Smokin'" nickname) thrilled fight fans on numerous occasions back in the 1990s. Going up against big names like Ray Mercer, Evander Holyfield (in Bert's one and only challenge for the legitimate world heavyweight title), and Michael Moorer (for the WBO belt), Cooper sent the fans home happy. Cooper may have lost all his big fights, but he warred with Mercer for the full 12-rounds, and he decked Holyfield and Moorer..

That was a long time ago, though, and Bert is now aged 43 and he has been out of the ring since being stopped in the 4th-round by Darroll Wilson in September of 2002. However, according to the usually reliable BoxRec.com, Cooper is soon to make a comeback.

Up as fighting next month against the unbeaten but untested and largely unknown Seth "Mayhem" Mitchell, a 27-year-old from Maryland, Cooper, if the fight goes ahead, will be having his sixtieth pro bout. Cooper's motives for coming back are as unknown as his present physical condition, but it's probably a fair bet to suggest the 36-22(30) slugger is in need of money.

Winless in nine of his last thirteen outings, Cooper began to slide as far back as 1993, when he was beaten by Mike Weaver, Corrie Sanders and then Craig Peterson (in that heavyweight tourney known as "The Peoples' Choice One Night Heavyweight Tournament," remember it?). Having taken more than his share of punishment during a pro career that started down at cruiserweight back in 1984, it's tough to see how Bert can get back to winning ways now.

Mitchell, 13-0-1(8) is no huge heavyweight at 6'2," but he is hefty enough at an approx 244-pounds. So much younger than Cooper and also hungry and a decent puncher, "Mayhem" will have a good chance of working the returning name over. So far, Mitchell has not fought any instantly recognisable heavies (only six of his opponents had winning records), but he has defeated the odd journeyman, such as Dan Whetzel (TKO 1). In truth, not much is known about the man from Maryland, but even so he must be expected to beat the 43-year-old Cooper.

The fight is up as taking place on October 24th, at The Convention Centre in Washington D.C. and Cooper will be having his first bout in over seven years, while Mitchell will be having his fifth fight this year. Who knows what exactly we will get when the bell goes next month, but it doesn't figure to be too pretty. If he does have anything at all left, Cooper, who always was as game as they come, just might get himself a win. After all, Mitchell has never faced anyone with as much experience as Cooper has; as old and surely creaking with rust as he is today.

Mitchell has to be the pick, though, and we must hope the likeable old warrior from Philly doesn't wind up getting himself badly hurt

Jul 24, 2005
Oliver McCall To Face Lance Whitaker In October

by James Slater - A reasonably intriguing heavyweight match-up pairing two heavyweight veterans is set to take place on October 23rd, in Las Vegas, according to FightNews.com. Former WBC heavyweight champion and current holder of the IBA bauble Oliver McCall will meet Lance "Mount" Whitaker in a clash of punchers.

McCall, now aged 44, has won his last two bouts, in a comeback that followed a nineteen month layoff after "The Atomic Bull's" points loss to Juan Carlos Gomez.. Whitaker, now aged 37, has also won his last two, in a ring return that followed a fifteen month layoff that came after he was out-pointed by Jason Estrada. Now, while still hoping for a final shot at a major title before they finally call it quits, the two ageing warriors collide in what is a must-win fight for both men.

Whitaker, a huge man at 6'8" and approx 250-pounds, is currently 34-5-1(28), and it could be argued he is the bigger puncher of the two fighters. McCall, now 53-9(37) can also bang, of course, and his chin has never once been dented. Though the older man, the man who held the WBC crown from September of 1994 to September of 1995 will likely start favourite. Whitaker remains a dangerous man, though, and he will know how a win over McCall will help him on his latest comeback.

The man once known as "Goofi" will have a big edge in height over McCall, as he has over most fighters he meets, and the 37-year-old has a decent shot at winning on points. McCall struggled a bit last time out, when he out-pointed Franklin Lawrence over ten rounds in a fairly close one. Was this performance a sign that the former champ is getting old and tired? Of course, we don't know how much Whitaker has left. His recent wins, over Danny Batchelder and then Matthew Ellis, didn't prove too much, apart from to let us know Whitaker has got himself in good physical shape.

Whitaker has spoken of his desire to get a shot at one of the Klitschkos, and he has also said that, because of his height and reach, he is the only guy around who can topple the giants. In truth, Whitaker's chances of landing a fight with either Wladimir or Vitali are slim, but you can't blame the 37-year-old for aiming as high as he can. A win over McCall, though far from a title earning victory, would get some people talking about Whitaker and his comeback.

A loss for either man will likely force retirement, and as a result both guys will enter the ring in shape and ready to rumble. As old as he is, it's tough to imagine McCall getting stopped, but on the other hand McCall could stop Whitaker. I think the old warhorse from Chicago will pull out a close points win instead.

Jul 24, 2005
Mexico Still Awaits Its First Heavyweight Titlist

by Scott Wesley Clifford - Vitali Klitschko shows ‘no mercy’ in executing a systematic destruction of 28-year-old Mexican-American title contender Cristobal Arreola in front of a silenced crowd at the Staples Center.

Fresh off an unsuccessful run for the mayor of Kiev and for the Ukrainian parliament, the 38 year-old Vitali Klitschko utilised lateral movement, a piston-like jab, and the odd right hand to see off WBC Heavyweight champion Samuel Peter last October.. There was a case of De Ja Vu this Saturday evening as Vitali silenced a Mexican-American crowd with a replica of the same game plan – dominating the 28 year old title hopeful from the opening bell before the intervention of Arreola’s corner men. The bout was mercifully stopped before the start of the 11th round.

Arreola spent practically the entire fight moving forward in an attempt to get inside on the 6ft 7 Vitali, but was brutalised by right hands from an assortment of angles. Henry Ramirez seemed to offer little advice between rounds – “just keep doing what you’re doing”. Arreola took the advice a little too literally as he carried on taking stiff left jabs and straight right hands to the face and midsection. There was no plan B.

By the later rounds, Arreola’s face was a distorted mess. Blood was bleeding profusely from his nose, and the areas beneath both eyes were beginning to swell, but still Arreola never stopped trying to get inside on his opponent and land a sweeping right hand. The fight was eventually stopped at the end of the 10th round by Arreola’s corner to avoid further unnecessary punishment. Arreola was irate.

Ringside punch stats showed that Vitali Klitschko threw 802 punches, a staggering number for a big man, and landed 301 of them. Arreola landed only 86 punches during the entire contest.

Arreola was given only a puncher’s chance at becoming the first Heavyweight titlist of Mexican heritage in the history of the sport before tonight. Vitali Klitschko warranted his 5-1 favourite odds by nullifying any chance his opponent had at a historical victory by staying out of range, and simply not getting hit. Floyd Mayweather Jr, after just dispatching of Juan Manuel Marquez in typically proficient fashion, would be proud of the giant Ukrainian with his ‘hit and not get hit’ mentality.

Jul 24, 2005
Vitali Klitschko - Can Anyone Beat Him?

by James Slater - Even though he is 38, it seems, amazingly, as though WBC heavyweight king Vitali Klitschko is getting even better. "Dr. Iron Fist's" defensive skills, his clever and astonishingly agile use of his legs, combined with his overall reflexes were quite stunning to see last night as he dominated a brave Chris Arreola on the way to a 10th-round retirement win.

Looking almost as hard to hit as Floyd Mayweather Junior, the 6'7.5" giant once again proved he is the best big man in the sport - even better, in my opinion, than his younger, but somewhat less reliably-chinned brother. Some people will perhaps come out with some negativity and claim that 28-year-old Arreola was so overmatched that, sure, of course Vitali was gonna look good. But that would be to pay a major disservice to both fighters.

While Klitschko's skill level was something to behold, the sheer heart and determination - to say nothing about the incredible chin - of Arreola also left one open-mouthed.. How did "The Nightmare" manage to eat right hand after right hand without even looking like going over? I hope no one ever questions Arreola's desire and toughness again after what he willingly went through last night. I also hope nobody comes out and calls him a quitter.

Arreola was pulled out by his corner and then stopped by the referee last night at the end of the 10th-round, but the fighter was reportedly, according to his trainer Henry Ramirez, "irate." Arreola also said post-fight that he will "have no more Coronas," that he will "work his ass off" and that he will not let the loss "break him." Yes, it will be tough for Arreola to come back from such a bludgeoning, but nobody should write him off yet.

As for Vitali and his great performance, it leaves us asking the question, can any of today's heavyweights beat him? It could be the talented, but not too hard-hitting Kevin Johnson next, maybe in December. Will "KingPin" be the man to end the dominance of "The Doctor?" Don't count on it. More skilled than Areola he may be, but Johnson simply has nowhere near enough power to hurt Vitali - if he can reach him. Johnson's heart and chin are thus far question marks, too.

Who else is there that Vitali could fight? David Haye's name, of course has to make it into this article. Supposed to have been the man in there with the WBC boss back on September 12th, Haye suddenly decided he didn't want to be a "slave fighter." Good thing, too - for him, that is. Can you imagine "The Hayemaker" walking through the thudding right hands that Arreola took last night? I can't. Sure, Haye would claim, and has claimed, that he would out-box Vitali and make him look clumsy. It would be fun seeing if Haye could do this, but the odds would be firmly against it.

No, I think the WBC heavyweight crown is in good hands right now. I also think Vitali's big fists, or rather his lean waist, will go on carrying the green belt for some time to come. The "two-headed monster" that is the Klitschko brothers' hold on all the marbles at their weight class could, at this rate, go on throughout 2010 and maybe even well into 2011.

Congratulations, Vitali, on a masterful performance. Congratulations, Chris, on a brave and genuine effort.

Aug 31, 2003
www.ebay.com
I was waiting to download the DVD but I gotta fly out in about an hour so I broke down and watched. I didn't think Dunne would be able to last the distance with Poonsawat .. dudes nasty on the inside.

Also I can't stand RTE commentators .. most biased pieces of shit around. "This is exactly what he has to do here.. (left hook inside drops Dunne again) ......... (silence) ...... well I didn't see the punch that hit him."

Jul 24, 2005
Looks like the IRS is gonna get Paid, 6 things Floyd Mayweather DID Right

By Robert Jackson: With the fallout from the Mayweather/ Marquez bout behind us a final rendering regarding this event need be served up. Mayweather returning to the ring after a 21 month layoff magnificently outboxed and seemingly outclassed the Lightweight Champion Marquez. To Marquez’ credit he survived the late rounds barrage of Mayweather, weathered the storm and finished the fight on his feet, with ‘dignity’. What’s next for the Mayweather who was confronted by Shane Mosley (egged on by Golden Boy colleague Bernard Hopkins) who challenged him to a fight during the in-ring post fight interview?? Before discussing what’s next let’s put the Mayweather/Marquez affair under the microscope, so to speak..

This whole event came into being on the night of the Pacquiao/Hatton fight with Floyd announcing his return to the ring to face Marquez who called him out after his 9th round KO over Juan Diaz. Many of Mayweather’s critics and naysayers accused “Money May’ of trying to upstage Pacquiao and Hatton. That was not the case this is a COMMON practice used by HBO promote the NEXT big fight, a Cotto/Pacquiao press conference took place right before the Mayweather/ Marquez bout. The weight to be fought at for this bout was an area of contention for both teams with Marquez wanting a 143lb catch-weight and Mayweather wanting the fight waged at welterweight limit of 147lbs. Finally agreed upon was a catch-weight of 144lbs. The original July date got pushed back to September 19th when Mayweather suffered a RIB injury during training. It was surmised that he was hurt during sparring with speculation as to whom he was sparring with that caused the injury. Mayweather refused to reveal any details about the injury. It was also thought that the injury was faked because ticket sales for the July date were sluggish and with the September date being close to Mexican Independence Day sales would improve. Shane Mosley around that time spoke saying that tickets were not selling.

Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer countered Mosley’s claim saying that sales were brisk. Other rumors have it that Mayweather secretly tried to reach an agreement with Pacquiao for a fight with Marquez receiving $1M to step aside. These secret negotiations supposedly happened because Pacquiao/Cotto negotiations had stalled over their catch-weight and whether the fight should be a title fight. The extra time allowed Marquez to adjust to the weight and Mayweather time to heal. Afterwards the fight was on and preparation proceeded normally. HBO’s 24/7 series chronicled the preparation of both men. More contention arose during the weigh-in when Mayweather failed to make the contracted weight of 144lbs and instead weighed in at 146lbs. Sources have it, that Mayweather advisors contacted Golden Boy officials on Monday or Tuesday of fight week and reported that Mayweather was struggling to make the contracted weight and may come in overweight. GBP contacted Marquez team with this news and the contract was amended to accommodate both men with a weight penalty assessed if weight wasn’t made. Mayweather reportedly signed the new contract on Wednesday night or Thursday morning. Marquez is rumored to have signed right before the weigh-in, rumor also has it that the NSAC said that Marquez’ initials weren’t present on the amended contract. Well anyway, Mayweather was fined $600K for coming in 2 lbs overweight. That $600K was added to Marquez purse. The fight was now on, and the REST is history.

With the rumored facts of the fight down on paper, here are the 6 things that “Money May” did right:

1) Rather than begging for a fight with Pacquiao who as the P4P King of boxing has become a tough negotiator. Mayweather fought the guy who Pacquiao refused to fight a 3rd time, with many having Juan Manuel Marquez winning one if not both of their previous fights. And by defeating Marquez so convincingly his place at the negotiating table for a fight against Pacquiao is secure.

2) After a 21 month layoff any comebacking fighter NEEDS ROUNDS to re-acclimate himself/herself to the rigors of 12 round bouts. Mayweather got his work in on Saturday nite 2 weeks ago.

3) Unable to make the 144lbs catch-weight Mayweather informed the appropriate parties ahead of time to make necessary arrangements so that the fight could go forth and paid the penalty assessed to him. Authors Note: in the history of boxing USUALLY when a smaller man challenges a bigger man the SMALLER man goes up to and fights the bigger man in his weight class. Only recently has the catch-weight fad caught on. And with the Pacquiao/Cotto matchup being fought at a catch-weight of 145lbs and ALSO being sanctioned as a TITLE fight that sets a bad precedence!

4) During the post-fight interview Mayweather accurately stated that he NEVER disrespected Hopkins or Shane Mosley at their victory coronations during the post fight in-ring interview. Mayweather further championed this theme during the post-fight Press Conference to the cheers of those present and to the consternation of both Shane Mosley and Bernard Hopkins. Since then Mayweather has gone on the offensive against Shane Mosley who has tried to characterize Mayweather as running from him. Mayweather has brought up occasions in 1999, 2005, and 2006 where his challenges to fight Shane Mosley were rebuked by Mosley, turning around ‘the who’s running from who’ argument in his favor.

5) If the rumors of a $6M IRS debt are true the IRS got PAID.

6) 1M+ PPV buys translates Mayweather into a boxing MEGA star, with reported percentages of the PPV receipts (up to an additional $5M) paid to ‘Money Mayweather’ , making this the highest grossing boxing PPV event of 2009 while also outselling a UFC PPV event on the same night. This also puts pressure on the Pacquiao/Cotto bout to do better numbers.

Jul 24, 2005
Super Six: Jermain Taylor Not Lacking In Confidence

HOUSTON (September 29th, 2009) - Sometimes a fighter can find himself up against the ropes. That's the feeling most people in the boxing community have about Jermain Taylor. He’s fighting an undefeated former champ in his hometown and he is the underdog. The pressure is on, but nothing could be further from Taylor’s mind as he prepares to face Arthur Abraham on October 17th, at the o2 World arena in Berlin, Germany.

“If anyone thinks I'm lacking in confidence or feeling any pressure, they’re dead wrong,” said Taylor. “Just because I've lost a few fights, I'm not ready to be written off. “Sometimes a fighter can lose and get beat up with that loss. That has not happened to me. I beat myself in every fight I lost, but I have learned from my mistakes. I'm a better fighter because of the losses.”

Taylor is also a more focused and disciplined boxer in the gym. He’s already put in close to three months of training for the Abraham fight, including a 10-week camp at George Foreman’s Youth Center in Houston, Texas, where a new road-work routine was added to his training.. Taylor says he has enjoyed the challenge of the new routine, which has him running a full mile and then alternating 400- and 800- meter intervals with 100-meter sprints in-between. The total track work adds up to five quality miles of road work.

“For this training camp a lot attention was focused on my morning workouts,” Taylor said. “In the past, I was over training with my morning runs because of the weight I had to lose. I was running six miles every day, even on sparring days. Before I reported to training camp in Houston, I had a mini-training camp in Little Rock, which was good because I came into camp without having to worry about my weight.”

SHOWTIME Sports Super Six World Boxing Classic (Group Stage 1) will air Live on SHOWTIME® at 8pm ET/PT (delayed on the west coast). Carl Froch vs. Andre Dirrell airs LIVE immediately following Jermain Taylor vs. Arthur Abraham. Televised in High Definition and Standard Definition.

The Taylor-Abraham fight is the start of the historic inaugural Super Six World Boxing Classic round-robin six fighter tournament, featuring the class of the Super Middleweight division from home and abroad. Five of the world's top boxing promoters have collaborated with SHOWTIME Sports to facilitate this epic tournament. Lou DiBella of DiBella Entertainment, Dan Goossen of Goossen Tutor Promotions, Mick Hennessy of Hennessy Sports, Gary Shaw of Gary Shaw Productions LLC and Wilfried and Kalle Sauerland of Sauerland Event will promote the tournament which begins October 17th and runs through spring 2011.

Tickets for Taylor vs. Abraham are now on sale by calling (01803/206070) or visit http://www.o2world.de/ - (Euro - €15, €29, €39, €60, €80, €150, €250, €1000) / From USA (01149-1803/206070) / $22, $42, $56, $86, $115, $215, $350, $1,434).

With less than three weeks before the fight, Taylor has completed the first leg of training, the 10-week camp in Houston. The second leg of the most extensive camp of Taylor’s career takes place in Berlin, Germany, where he will depart during the first week of October to complete his final weeks of training.

“I know Abraham has a strong fan base in Berlin and he will have the hometown crowd on his side,” said Taylor. “But the pressure will be on him to perform in front of the hometown crowd and come away with the victory, not me. Sometimes the hometown crowd can work against you because you want to do so well."

“I respect Arthur as a fighter. He has good power and he’s a smart fighter. I know he will be well prepared, but I smell victory in the air for this fight.”

Members of Team Taylor are also confident, knowing the former undisputed middleweight champ is 100-percent focused and ready.

“We have done our homework on Arthur Abraham,” said Taylor's trainer Ozell Nelson. “We have looked at all 30 of his fights on tape and know exactly how we are going to fight him. Speed kills and we have speed on our side against Arthur."

Lou DiBella, of DiBella Entertainment and promoter of Taylor, likes the way his fighter is approaching this bout.

"Don't underestimate Jermain Taylor," DiBella said. "I've worked with Jermain his entire pro career and I've never seen him this hungry and motivated to win. He's in incredible condition for this fight. I have a lot of respect for Arthur Abraham, but pound-for-pound, skill-for-skill, I don't see Arthur matching up with Jermain. The King will get knocked off his throne

Jul 24, 2005
Zab Judah To Fight Ramon Montano November 6th?

by James Slater - Fight fans were at a loss as to why Zab "Super" Judah pulled out of his September 19th fight with Mexico's Antonio Diaz. Set to face Diaz on the under-card of the hugely watched Floyd Mayweather Junior-Juan Manuel Marquez clash, the Brooklyn southpaw would have got himself some great publicity and he would have had a chance to shine before a T.V audience of one million. But no, Zab, for no given reason, said he would not be fighting..

Now, however, according to BoxRec, the 31-year-old former light-welterweight and welterweight title holder is scheduled to face Ramon Montano in Las Vegas on November 6th. Promoted by [Fernando] Vargas Entertainment and American Dream Productions, the ten-rounder will take place at 140-pounds. Though the 27-year-old from Mexico is no world beater at 17-7-2(2), at least Judah is set to get back into the ring.

Inactive sine his November 2008 points win over Ernest Johnson, Judah has wasted a full year of his career and we don't know why. Against non-puncher Montano, Zab should get himself another victory. Fans may recognise Montano's name from his drawn fight with the unbeaten Dmitriy Salita, who is soon to face WBA light-welterweight champion Amir Khan. Montano dropped Salita twice in the opening round of their March 2006 bout, before being held to an eight-round draw. Montano has never been stopped and he also gave former lightweight titlist David Diaz a hard night's work last March, in losing a majority verdict over ten rounds.

The 27-year-old with just two KO's to his name can certainly fight some, then, but unless Judah has really gone back he should be able to handle him easily enough. But then again, you never really know for sure with Zab - you never know what frame of mind he will be in when he climbs through the ropes. As to why Judah is taking this mark-time fight, when he could have fought a meaningful and decent paying fight on the big Sept. 19th card instead, who knows?

Judah, if he is able to become the first man to stop Montano, will likely say he has made a statement. But what is the former champ's plan for afterwards? Does Zab really believe he can once again rule at 140? Or is he just on the lookout for some relatively easy pay cheques? Now 37-6(25), Judah will almost certainly make it to 38-6 on November 6th. Unless we see a career finishing upset, that is!

Jul 24, 2005
Audley Harrison: "I'm going to inflict more punishment on Danny Williams"

AUDLEY Harrison has threatened to inflict ‘a lot more punishment’ on Danny Williams in Friday’s Prizefighter Heavyweights III event. Harrison, 37, thinks victory in the eight-man, one-night tournament will see ‘the rebirth’ of his career and lead to him becoming World Champion inside two years. However, Williams, the current British Champion, potentially stands between Harrison and Prizefighter glory at London’s ExCel Arena. The pair, who have fought twice with one win apiece, are in separate halves of the draw and could only fight in a mouth-watering final. “Me and Danny are 1-1 and he keeps on saying we don’t like each other but I’ve got nothing against him,” added Harrison.

“He beat me with a split decision and I destroyed him second time out and he probably doesn’t like me because of that. Danny spends a long time talking, thinking and probably dreaming about me. But he really needs to think how much punishment he is taking in his career. If he meets me in the final then he will take a lot more punishment. I’m confident that if we meet in the final then I’ve got Danny’s number. He’s my main rival and on the other side of the draw so it would be a real grudge match and a big fight.”

Harrison, who fights Northern Ireland’s Scott Belshaw in his quarter-final, won Olympic gold in 2000 but his professional career has faltered with four defeats in his last eight contests. However, he believes outside influences and ‘the boxing system’ have conspired to ‘sabotage’ his career..

“Unfortunately for me and real boxing purists I have lost a chance to have a lasting legacy but I still have plenty of time to win the world title,” added Harrison.

“By the time I’m 39 I’m over. I’m not in boxing for the money; I’m in it to be World Champion. Once I’ve achieved that it will be ‘see you later, I’m off’.

“On Friday you will see the rebirth of Audley Harrison, the boxer people thought was dead, buried and gone.

“I turned professional in 2001 and was self-managed and self-promoted, which is what I always wanted.

“Unfortunately for me the boxing system didn’t like that. It’s a story I want to tell, of how my career has been blocked and sabotaged and, at the right time, I will tell it. It’s been a battle of adversity and persistence.

“Sometimes the mountains you face out of the ring turn out to be too huge and that determines what you do in the ring.

When asked if he was going to win Prizefighter, Harrison concluded: “There are no ifs. I’ve prepared for victory and when I prepare for victory I just need to walk in and do it.”

Prizefighter tickets are going fast but some are still available at £40 or £80 from See Tickets on 0871 220 0260, www.seetickets.com or from Matchroom Sport on 01277 359900. Every fight will be screened live on Sky Sports 2 and Sky Sports HD 2 from 9pm on Friday.

NOTES ABOUT THE PARTYCASINO.COM PRIZEFIGHTER HEAVYWEIGHTS III EVENT

- Eight competitors in the same weight fight in four quarter-finals, two semi-finals and the final with all the action happening in one exciting night of boxing.

- Each contest lasts a maximum of three rounds with standard boxing rules applied.

- If there has not been a knockout or stoppage then the winner will be decided by three scoring judges at ringside.

- The winner of Prizefighter – Heavyweights III will receive £32,000, the runner-up gets £16,000, losing semi-finalists receive £8,000 and beaten quarter-finalists collect £4,000. The total prize fund is £80,000 - £11,000 more than for previous Prizefighter tournaments.

- This will be the eighth Prizefighter competition. The first – Heavyweights I – was held in April 2008. The others staged were Heavyweights II (September), Welterweights (October), Middleweights (November), Light-heavyweights (February), Lightweights (March) and Cruiserweights (May).

- The quarter-final draw is 1. Scott Gammer v Coleman Barrett, 2. Danny Williams v Carl Baker, 3. Audley Harrison v Scott Belshaw, 4. Neil Perkins v Danny Hughes.

- If one of the fighters wins a bout but is unable to compete in the next round (ie a bad cut) then one of two reserves will step into their place for the rest of the tournament. The two reserves are Paul Butlin (Melton Mowbray) and Lee Swaby (Lincoln

Jul 24, 2005
Shane Mosley: What Next

by Yero Moody - As one of the million plus viewers who tuned in to watch the Floyd Mayweather, Jr. v. Juan Marquez fight I was elated to see Shane Mosley approach Mayweather about a showdown. At the end of the fight I was very surprised to see Shane Mosley in the ring with Mayweather during his post-fight interview. If you've followed the career of Mosley, you know that he doesn't usually do things like that.

Both Mayweather and Max Kellerman, the HBO analyst who was interviewing Mayweather at the time, have been hearing their share of criticism for the way the post-fight interview turned out. I for one, am happy.. Not happy because of the way the interview ended but because of the presence of Mosley. Besides, Mayweather was able to say all that he wanted to during the live interview he gave on HBO after his fight with Marquez was replayed. As a fan of Mayweather, and most importantly the sport of boxing, I am deeply disturbed by all of the double talk Mayweather engages in.

I watched the 24/7 documentary on HBO leading up to his fight with Marquez and one of the things that stood out was the fact that Mayweather and his manager Leonard Ellerbie stated emphatically that Mayweather is his own boss and does not answer to any one. Well, if that is true (and I believe it to be absolutely true) then why does Mayweather insist upon stating that Al Haymon and Leonard Ellerbie are going to determine who his next opponent is when he was asked about fighting Mosley in his last two interviews on HBO? When Hatton and Marquez called him out he answered their challenges with no questions asked nor any diversion to his managers. What makes Mosley different?

For most of his career Mosley has been one of the best fighters in the sport. However, his popularity, pay per view sales, and money earned have never quite equaled his skills. Whereas, fighters like Oscar De La Hoya, Manny Pacquiao, Ricky Hatton and Floyd Mayweather have all basked in the glory of being extremely popular and very well paid. This all comes down to management and personality on the part of Mosley. Surely, its not about his skills, talent or quality of opposition faced. His ring resume speaks for itself. I always wondered why Mosley's mangagers never did anything to acclamate him more to the public. Mosley, until recently, has never acted with a sense of urgency about getting his just due.

A fighter of his caliber should never have to go to the Wild Card gym and ask Freddie Roach to allow his fighter, Manny Pacquiao, to face him or have to show up at Mayweather's post-fight interview and ask for a shot. It should be the other way around. Mosley has faced more quality opposition than both Mayweather and Pacquiao. Remember, he beat a prime Oscar De La Hoya which was not the case when Mayweather faced him and especiallly when Pacquiao faced him. The fight game is about money and unfortunately due to poor marketing on the part of Mosley, he is not the money maker that Mayweather or Pacquaio are. So now unforunately, he is forced to resort to these antics.

As I've said since I wrote one of my very first articles about Shane Mosley, he is the only fighter I feel that could possibly beat Mayweather. I also feel that Mayweather is the only fighter at welterweight that could possibly beat Mosley right now. Mosley, in my opinion, got a poor decision against Miguel Cotto. It should have been a draw. Mosley, since getting his father back, has returned to "power boxing." If he were to fight Cotto again the fight would be very different. Mosley I believe, would win convincingly. I also believe that both Mosley and Mayweather would beat Manny Pacquiao, Andre Berto and Joshua Clottey. I'm not mentioning Paul Williams because he is simply too big at this point in time and it would be a foolish fight for either one of them to take.

The match-up of Mosley v. Mayweather is a fight that must happen, Especially if Mayweather wants to be remembered as the best. He can't retire without facing Mosley! If Mosley wants to regain his lure and make some serious money he needs to fight the best at welterweight, Mayweather. Mayweather is not to be totally blamed here. He did pursue a prime Mosley back in 1999 and again 2006. Both times it was Mosley who declined. Despite the cries of the many Mayweather "haters" these are the facts. So Mosley must take a note from Antonio Tarver who showed up at Roy Jones' press conferences, fights and interviews. Tarver knew that Roy Jones' ego would not allow him to be constantly bombarded with challenges and questions from the press about fighting him. The same with "Money" Mayweather. Mosley must press on and not care what anyone else says or thinks. His goal should be to get Mayweather in the ring.

Side Notes: I don't think Mayweather is a "cherrypicker" or that he is afraid of fighting Mosley. If that were the case I'm sure he would never have pursued a more prime Mosley of 1999. I think he is very arrogant. He thinks the sport revolves around him. So he probabaly feels "snubbed" by Mosley. In 1999 Mosley was on top and Mayweather was trying to make a bigger name for himself so he went after Mosley and Mosley said no. Again in 2006, he tried to lure Mosley again, in the hopes that by facing a big named opponent he could surpass Oscar De La Hoya but Mosley said no again. So now he is making Mosley feel what he felt. My advice to Mayweather is to forget the past and focus on securing your legacy by fighting the best in your division, "Sugar" Shane Mosley or Miguel Cotto should he beat Pacquiao. If Pacquiao wins, Mayweather would then likely face Pacquiao and hopefully fight Mosley as possibly his last fight

Jul 24, 2005
It's Almost Certain They'll Never Fight, But Who'd Win If They Did - Mayweather Or Mo

by James Slater - It looks almost certain that we will never get to see welterweight marvels Floyd Mayweather Junior and "Sugar" Shane Mosley square off in what would be a genuine super-fight. Mayweather has again said he offered Mosley a chance to face him before - in fact he claims two chances, one in 1999, another in 2006 - but that "Sugar" turned him down back then and only wants to fight him now to garner himself one last monster pay day. Whatever. We fight fans are sick of the who's-avoiding-who argument; we would just love to see the match-up take place..

As it looks as close to 100-perecnt as is possible that it won't, however, we can only treat the fight as a "dream fight." It's debate time: who would win, at a full 147-pounds, if the two greats met some time early next year?

Mosley may be 38, but he remains one of the few fighters in the sport who is capable of matching "Money" for speed of hand. Factor in the seemingly renewed vigour he displayed whilst taking the teak-tough Antonio Margarito to pieces in his last fight, and you can see how Mosley is also hard enough - of both punch and of resolve - to give the man six years his junior a real battle.

Mayweather is a defensive genius. That much is accepted. But would Mosley force him into fighting his fight? More so than against any other fighter he has ever met at welterweight - with the possible exception of Zab Judah, who did well against him for a few rounds before going into apparent meltdown - Mayweather would be in some danger of being out-thought, out-punched and out-slicked Vs. Mosley. One thing's for sure, Floyd's habit of pot-shotting with single blows would not be enough against the very fast and very aggressive WBA champion.

Forced to be more aggressive himself or risk being out-worked and out-scored by the clever, educated pressure of the hard-chinned champion, Mayweather would throw more punches and have to run the risk of being caught in return. Nobody has ever really tested Mayweather's chin; is it possible Mosley would do so? Of course, it could play out whereby Mosley's attacks and his matching him for speed brings out the very best in Mayweather. Having to dig deeper than ever before, Mayweather would perhaps tap into hidden reserves of greatness and put on a display to top even his previous performances.

Seeing Mayweather forced to bite down hard and fight even harder would be some spectacle, and maybe "Money" would rise to the occasion and blast Mosley as a result. It's been correctly said that Mayweather doesn't look hard enough for the KO - but in a fight with Mosley he would perhaps have no choice but to do so. Pushed and pushed hard, Mayweather would either fold, fight negatively so as to survive, or fire back.

I think he would do the latter, and, in a truly great and special fight that would elevate both men the way their 1981 showdown elevated both "Sugar" Ray Leonard and Thomas "The Hitman" Hearns, Mayweather would fight the fight of his life and win a classic on points. They say great fighters have to fight great fighters for their full greatness to emerge. I believe Shane Mosley is the only man at welterweight today (with the possible exception, if he can still make 147, of Paul Williams) who is capable of bringing out Floyd Mayweather Junior's full greatness.

What a crying shame we will never get to see it

Jul 24, 2005
Golden Boy Promotions Respond To Malignaggi/DiBella Comments

LOS ANGELES (September 30, 2009) - Following the release of a series of incendiary statements from Lou DiBella and his fighter, junior welterweight Paulie Malignaggi, regarding the decision of former lightweight world champion Juan Diaz to forego a rematch with Malignaggi this December, Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer responded to their statements. "Let the facts be facts. Juan Diaz won the first fight. The only controversy was the wide margin on one of the judges score cards, so there is no reason for Juan Diaz to take short money to fight Paulie Malignaggi again. If Paulie wants to take short money and make it worth Juan's while to come to New York and beat him again, then let us know and we are ready.."

"Juan is one of the most exciting fighters in the world and has a very loyal fan base in Texas which turns out in big numbers to see him fight. If Paulie does not generate the same amount of money at the gate, then why should Juan be punished for that?"

"Juan will fight anyone, anywhere as long as it makes sense from a career and a financial point of view. All of us at Golden Boy are extremely proud of what Juan Diaz has accomplished in and out of the ring."

"Juan delivers in the ring every single time with a thrilling performance. There is no need for Paulie nor Lou DiBella to attack him in any way. Juan has plenty of other options which we will now diligently pursue. These options include a possible mega fight with Juan Manuel Marquez, Robert Guerrero, the winner of Guzman vs. Funeka or a potential showdown with Ricky Hatton in England should Ricky decide to return to the ring."

"We wish Paulie Malignaggi much success with his career."

Jul 24, 2005
Promotional Rights To Robert Guerrero Remain With Golden Boy Promotions

Team Guerrero Press Release: Gilroy CA, September 30, 2009 - On September 29, 2009, the California Superior Court vacated a December 15, 2008 arbitration award in the proceeding (the "Arbitration") commenced last year by Robert Guerrero against Goossen Tutor Promotions. The Superior Court's decision was not based upon the substantive merits of Guerrero's claims against Goossen-Tutor Promotions, but was based upon the California State Athletic Commission's failure to obtain arbitrator Armando Garcia's signature on the award, which Garcia indicated under oath in July of this year, that he was prepared to sign..

Since the commencement of the Arbitration, the 5 year promotional agreement between Guerrero and GTP has expired by its own terms. On December 18, 2008, Guerrero entered into a promotional agreement with Golden Boy Promotions, which agreement was approved by the California State Athletic Commission. The vacatur of the arbitration award by the Superior Court has no effect on the validity of the Guerrero-Golden Boy Promotional Agreement, and Golden Boy remains the exclusive promoter of Robert Guerrero.

Jul 24, 2005
Vitali Klitschko Outworks Floyd Mayweather, Jr.

ANGELES (Sept. 30, 2009) – Who would have thought that a six-foot-seven, 252 pound heavyweight champ would outwork and be more aggressive than boxing’s pound-for-pound king? That’s what happened on Saturday night at STAPLES Center, when World Boxing Council (WBC) heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko threw more punches in 10 rounds in his dominating title defense over Cris Arreola than pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather, Jr. threw in 12 rounds in his defeat of Juan Manuel Marquez on Sept. 19..

HBO showed a replay of the Mayweather-Marquez fight prior to the Klitschko-Arreola match on Sept. 26, and a comparison of the punch statistics might be surprising to fight fans who think the heavyweight division produces only slow, unexciting fights.

According to CompuBox, Klitschko threw 802 punches over 10 rounds while Mayweather threw just 493 punches over 12 rounds. Two-hundred-eighty-three of Klitschko’s blows were power punches, while Mayweather threw a mere 105 power punches.

Mayweather, who has been labeled the fastest man in boxing, is 11 ½ inches shorter and weighed-in 106 pounds less than Klitschko for his bout against Marquez, who was a naturally smaller fighter and moved up two divisions to fight Mayweather.

“The punch stats show that the heavyweights are not always less entertaining than the lightweights,” said Tom Loeffler, Managing Director, K2 Promotions. “Vitali once again showed his dominance of the heavyweight division in front of a full house at STAPLES Center and even outworked the pound-for-pound king, while fighting someone his same weight.

“His work-rate was incredible and this was the third time he put on a great show at Staples.”

Klitschko, who holds the highest knockout percentage in the history of the heavyweight division, looked sharp in his third fight since returning from a four year retirement due to injuries. A crowd of more than 16,000 witnessed what many critics and experts say was one of the finest performances of his career.

“This was the best condition that I have ever seen Vitali in, and I don't see anyone beating him in this shape,” said Fritz Sdunek, Klitschko’s trainer.

The title defense was Klitschko’s second successful victory over a No. 1 contender since winning the WBC title from champion emeritus Samuel Peter in October, 2008. Klitschko followed up the Peter victory with a ninth-round TKO of No. 1 challenger Juan Carlos Gomez before he scored a 10th round TKO over No. 1 contender Arreola on Saturday.

“I was surprised at how tough and determined Arreola was,” Klitschko said. “He was really well prepared and took many more punches than I expected.”

Jul 24, 2005
Danny Green Sees Himself Knocking Out Roy Jones Junior

by James Slater - The December 2nd cruiserweight clash between all-time great Roy Jones Junior and Aussie hard man Danny Green was an interesting enough fight before, but now that 40-year-old Jones knows he must win if he's to secure the long awaited return fight with Bernard Hopkins, the IBO title fight has even more intrigue to it..

What has made the upcoming bout even more exciting is the way Green has come out and said he has lost all respect for the modern day legend, and that he sees himself knocking Jones out when they square off in Sydney.

Talking to The Daily Telegraph in Australia, 36-year-old Green, 36-2(28) says he has been having a recurring vision in which he sees himself shocking Jones inside the scheduled 12-rounds.

"I can see it," Green told the Daily Telegraph. "I have this recurring vision that I've got and I haven't had this feeling for a long time. I can envisage an earlier than 12th-round stoppage by myself against Roy Jones. Knocking Roy Jones out is going to put me right at the top of the mountain and to beat him in the form he's in is going to make it even more of an achievement."

Apparently, Jones, who is now in Australia, annoyed Green by saying he would not last 12-rounds with him. The former super-middleweight and light-heavyweight titlist who has never previously been stopped says he lost respect for Jones because of what he said he'd do to him.

"The respect's gone, it's in the past," Green said. "This bloke's coming to knock me out and that's a very personal thing to do in front of my family and friends."

Jones, 54-5(40) has not yet predicted a round, saying how quickly he wins depends on how Green comes at him once the bell goes.

"Danny brings what he brings but I don't think he will see the 12th-round," Jones said confidently.

Of the fight that looks set to take place in he wins on December 2nd (the rematch with "B-Hop"), Jones said he is far from excited about the rematch.

"I beat Hopkins with one hand," Roy said. "That ain't nothing new to do. This [the Green fight] is new. I like new stuff. That old business is old business. I beat Hopkins way before you even knew his name. Why should I be concerned about him? That's not even the issue right now.

"This fight solidifies part of my historic run. That's [cruiserweight] the only weight class I've not been crowned champion in."

Roy Jones more pumped up for a fight with Danny Green than for one with Bernard Hopkins? Who'd have though that

Jul 24, 2005
Exclusive Interview: Joshua Clottey Speaks On Mosley, Martinez, Cintron, Pacquiao, an

By Vivek Wallace - Editor's Note: The welterweight division is arguably one of, if not thee deepest division in the sport. With all of the highly notables fighting for supremacy, there's one name in particular that has the potential, yet some would argue his presence has yet to be truly felt. Some call it a fault of politics, others simply view it as a fault of his own. No matter what your perspective, few can deny his effort every time he laces up. With the return of Mayweather and a constantly changing landscape in the division, I had a chance to talk to Joshua Clottey and find out precisely where he feels he now stands. As you'll read, his response was truthful, introspective, and in spurts, down right shocking when you think of his past demeanor. Such has never been the case in the past, and after reading this 20 minute conversation, many will find out precisely what went wrong with the man so smooth in a world so rough. Unedited and uncut, here's what Mr. Joshua Clottey had to say:

VW: Joshua, I know your plate is full so we'll jump right to it. Who's your next opponent and when can we expect to see you in the ring again?

JC: December 5th, on the undercard of the Pavlik/Williams fight. That's the target date.

VW: Do we have an idea who that opponent will be, considering that Mosley and a few others are on the table?

JC: Well, HBO wanted Shane Mosley and myself to fight on the undercard of the Pavlik/Williams card, in sort of a double-header, but to my understanding, he (Mosley) wants his own show. Maybe he's not ready. I just want to fight before the year ends. If it's him, that's fine, I'm ready to fight him. I have wanted to fight Shane Mosley since 2004 and he knows this. I don't think he really wants to face me.

VW: Well, seeing things full circle, I would say if anything, his promoter, Goldenboy Promotions, may not want that fight. Not saying that there's a fear factor there because Shane is as good as it gets, but lets be real here, anyone who knows boxing knows that Shane would catch hell-in-a-handbasket standing across from you. When you consider that he had a very uninspiring victory against Ricardo Mayorga, then was able to sustain a lifeline in credibility with his performance against Margarito, I just think the business logic there is that another close or not-so-solid victory takes him totally out of the Mayweather/Pacquiao sweepstakes, particularly when you consider that his phone still isn't ringing much since that spectactluar performance against Margarito. Do you think that plays a role in this whole decision to have him face someone else now?

JC: It may be true. Goldenboy and HBO control the whole scenario. I have a great promoter, but GBP and HBO control that show. Me, I'm a fighter. When Bob Arum calls my name, I'm ready to fight who ever they put in front of me. To be frank, I want him (Mosley) to know that he needs to stop crying to fight guys like Mayweather and Pacquiao. He's a big guy in the sport and everyone has tremendous respect for him. I have soooo much respect for him, and I see you do too. If I was in his position, I would never ever in my life cry to fight with someone and be that desperate. When they know you're desperate, you give them the chance to disrespect you, but when you keep your cool, they still see and they respect you more. He needs to keep fighting the best out there like Cotto has and that kind of fight will come for him too.

VW: Those are some very good points you raised, Josh. Switching gears, I want to address two other men who have recently shown interest in fighting you. One by one.....I'd like to start with Sergio Martinez first. What are your thoughts about him calling you out?

JC: You know, that makes me very upset. Martinez needs to shut the hell up because he's talking too much. He is a jr. middleweight fighter. I am at welterweight, and have never spoken about going up in weight because I'm comfortable where I am. We're in two separate divisions, why are you calling out my name? If he wants to come down to 147lbs, I will fight him anytime. Right now, my mission is to win and become a champion in this division, so he needs to focus on the champs in his division or come down where I am and face me or the champs in mine!

VW: Kermit Cintron....He's another one that has made a habit of calling your name lately, for whatever reason. What are your thoughts about that?

JC: Tell Cintron that I'm still waiting on him to sign the contract. We have a date open. He needs to stop running and take his track shoes off. When he signs the contract we can make the fight, and he knows that I am truly ready to fight him like I was before when he failed to fight me before his fight with Martinez.

VW: Now....Leading into the Cotto fight, I predicted that you would do enough to win, but it would be difficult to get the nod because the stars had clearly aligned in the sport for the Pacquiao/Cotto showdown which is actually about to take place. That leads me to my next point. In past fights, I think you've performed excellent, but nothing is perfect. If I had to give one critique on you, it would be that I don't think you're aggressive enough when it counts, and this is the one knock that every fan I speak to has about you. Why is that, Joshua?

JC: About the decision, anytime I face someone, I check to see who the judges are because it's tough to pour your heart out and come up short, and you don't forget that, but you move on. About the aggression, I love hearing from any fans that sit down and watch me fight. If people want to see me more aggressive, I have to honor that and they will see that more if this is what they think will help me. But, when I step in the ring, I don't fear anyone, I don't back up, and I bring the fight to all of my opponents. So it's not fear, it's intelligence.

VW: Ok, Champ, before we wrap up, there's three other things I want to touch on. First one being the return of Floyd Mayweather jr. I'm sure you saw his performance. What did you think of it?

JC: I think Mayweather looked fantastic. Everybody thought Marquez would do more because of how tough his fights were with Pacquiao, me included. Then, after the fact, everyone started saying that Marquez was the smaller man. Well, Marquez knew that before he signed the contract, so you can't take away from the man (Floyd). His ability is amazing. Everybody needs to give him his credit.

VW: OK, now, anytime you talk about Mayweather, somehow the name Pacquiao falls from the sky. (Laughs). Who do you like in his pending showdown with Miguel Cotto?

JC: I think that fight will come down to how well Pacquiao can take his power. If it is stopped early, I favor Cotto. If Pacquiao can use his speed effectively, he can win. Pacquiao is a smart fighter, but if you hit him, he will come back at you. I fought Cotto, and I knew if I threw a 3 punch combination, at least 2 landed, so Cotto can be hit, but he will also hit back. It will come down to how Pacquaio fights. If he tries to throw a lot of punches everytime, he could get hurt. If he punches and uses defense and footwork, he can win.

VW: OK, Pavlik/Williams....Williams is a guy who literally defines the P4P argument, going division to division seeking the best opposition and now, in the middleweight ranks, has found it. Who do you like between he and Pavlik?

JC: If Pavlik can't adapt to his punch volume, and find a way to land some [power and flush shots, he may lose. If he can find out a way to overcome the reach, and land his shots, he will win. It's a 50/50 fight to me.

VW: OK, Champ, in closing, what would you like to say to everyone out there, the floor is yours.

JC: I just want to thank everyone out there at Eastside Boxing. Eastside Boxing has always been great to me, and I love your work, and I read a lot of the others too. I also want to say thank you to everyone who has supported my career, and I want them to know, I will be back in the ring soon and nothing will stop me. Thank you.

(Eastside Boxing would like to thank Joshua Clottey and wish him the best in his future endeavors as he prepares to mark his place in a very deep division)

Jul 24, 2005
Boxing Promoter's Association Praises Mayweather/Marquez

It is my pleasure, on behalf of the Boxing Promoter's Association (BPA), to congratulate our sport in once again showing that BOXING is truly desired by fans. In as much the recent Mayweather-Marquez boxing event on HBO/PPV produced over a million buys and generated over $52 million dollars, it is clear that those that underestimate the appeal of BOXING are mistaken..

What is particularly interesting is that the BOXING match went head to head with UFC 103, which was also a PPV event. Many sports reporters incorrectly predicted that the UFC/MMA event would exceed the sales of the BOXING event. While the exact amount of buys for UFC 103 hasn't been made available by UFC President Dana White, all estimates are under 500K buys, less than one-half as the Mayweather-Marquez BOXING broadcast.

I am proud on behalf of the BPA to congratulate everyone involved in the successful show, particularly our fellow promoter, Golden Boy Promotions, as well as HBO/PPV and the boxers, Floyd Mayweather and Juan Manuel Marquez. Their successful collaboration is consistent with the theme of the BPA, providing yet another example of how various parts of the sport working together can create huge successes.

We look forward to future collaborations and successes for the great sport of BOXING.

Sincerely,

Joe DeGuardia
President
Boxing Promoters Association

Jul 24, 2005
ShoBox: Allan Green vs Tarvis Simms

Green (28-1, 20 KOs), currently training in Hollywood, Fla., was born and resides in Tulsa, Okla. He will be the definite crowd favorite fighting in his home state against Simms, of Norwalk, Conn. Simms (25-0-1, 11 KOs) is the twin brother of Travis Simms, a former world champion with a similar record of 25-1.

Simms was a late replacement for the inured Victor Oganov, who was forced out less then two weeks before the fight. In his last fight, Simms scored an eight-round unanimous decision over Marcus Upshaw in Uncasville, Conn.

Simms called Green, “one of the best super middleweights out there” but said he has what it takes to beat him. “That’s why we accepted the fight. Right now, it is my destiny and I’m in full control. With the opportunity given, I just want to take advantage of it, and I’m sure I will take advantage of this opportunity.”

In a quintessential ShoBox matchup in the co-feature, “The Truth” Antwone Smith (16-1-1, 8 KOs) takes on Henry Crawford (22-0-1, 9 KOs) in a 10-round welterweight battle between two of the division’s brightest prospects. Both fighters are determined to show what they can do in the ring come Friday night.

“They told me ‘ShoBox’ – I said, ‘I’ll take it,’ ” the 28-year-old Crawford said. “They didn’t even tell me the money or anything. It’s been a long time coming. I’m 28, I’m 22-0, so I said, ‘I need to step up. I’ll take it.’ ”

Smith stepped up big-time in his last fight in May, scoring his career-best win, a 10-round unanimous decision against Richard Gutierrez (24-2-1). It was also Smith’s first scheduled 10-rounder. In July, Crawford won an eight-round unanimous decision against Kaseem Wilson (12-1-1).

In another exciting televised fight, Marcus “Too Much” Johnson takes on Victor Villereal in an eight-round super middleweight matchup.

Curt Menefee, Steve Farhood and Antonio Tarver will call the ShoBox action from ringside. The executive producer of ShoBox is Gordon Hall with Richard Gaughan producing and Rick Phillips directing