Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 24, 2005
Boxing Legion ‏@BoxingLegion 15h15 hours ago

Forgot to report this on time, but according to W @Wood sy1069 we will most likely get Porter-Thurman announced next week.

Jul 24, 2005
Terence Crawford makes case for Manny Pacquiao fight with TKO 10 of Dierry Jean

By Mike Coppinger October 25, 2015 12:54 am
8 shares
TWEET
EMAIL
Terence Crawford, right, reacts during a WBO junior welterweight title fight against Dierry Jean, left, after referee Tony Weeks stopped the fight in the 10th round. (Photo: Chris Machian, AP)

Terence Crawford, right, reacts during a WBO junior welterweight title fight against Dierry Jean, left, after referee Tony Weeks stopped the fight in the 10th round. (Photo: Chris Machian, AP)

OMAHA, Neb. — Terence Crawford sits squarely on the cusp of stardom.

The hometown fighter turned in another brilliant performance Saturday with a 10th-round stoppage of Dierry Jean before 11,020 raucous fans at the CenturyLink Center on HBO. It was the first defense of the WBO junior welterweight title Crawford won via TKO of Thomas Dulorme in April, and the third knockout victory in his last four fights.

Crawford, USA TODAY’s No. 8 pound-for-pound boxer, scored knockdowns in the first and ninth round of the one-sided main event, and after dishing out a sustained beating in Round 10, dropped Jean with a barrage of punches that prompted referee Tony Weeks to stop the mismatch at 2:30 of the frame.
Ads by ZINC

“I did whatever I wanted to do,” said Crawford, 28. “He told me he had power; he had no power. I controlled, I was able to move him around no problem. … Anybody who’s here today can tell you where I started from. And that was from the bottom: street fighting, getting shot, working my way up in the rankings till now.”

“I’m ready (for Pacquiao). Bob, make it happen. Let my handlers talk to Bob Arum and Team Pacquiao and let’s see if we can make it happen.”

Was the impressive showing enough to earn the assignment as Manny Pacquiao’s final opponent, a bout that will take place no later than April 9? Arum says the “chances are very, very good” and the matchup would likely be for Crawford’s title at 140 pounds, a weight the Filipino hasn’t competed at since May 2009.

“It would be one helluva fight,” said Bob Arum, who promotes both Crawford (27-0, 19 KOs) and Pacquiao under the Top Rank banner. “The next step is for Manny to review the tape from tonight’s fight and we also have to see the result of Nov. 7 (between Timothy Bradley and Brandon Rios). Then we’ll regroup and consider all the options after that.”

A sneaky right hand dropped Jean to the seat of his pants in the waning moments of an otherwise uneventful Round 1. Jean (29-2, 20 KOs) beat the count easily and appeared to have a clear head as he walked to his corner. The Canadian was also dropped at the end of Round 9 from a left to the temple by the sharp-shooting Crawford, who landed 32% of his power shots (169 of 533) to just 15% for Jean (51 of 340).

Crawford was in control from the onset of the bout, but he was very patient throughout. He switched from orthodox to southpaw in Round 4, and was able to seamlessly transition between stances, a befuddling skill for any fighter to deal with. Jean, 33, had no solution

The 140-pounder was able to pin Jean on the ropes in Round 6 and unleashed with his full arsenal. Jean was game and absorbed the shots, though, and landed a few effective counters of his own. Even though Crawford hurt Jean on a number of occasions, he never veered from his game plan and didn’t rush in.

“Ever since I was an amateur (at age 7), (trainer Brian McIntye) told me to pick my shots,” said Crawford, who has gone on two charitable missions to Africa. ” … A lot of guys get knocked out by going in there carelessly. You gotta stay focused, relaxed and do what you did to get him hurt.”

Crawford continued to dominate the contest and mixed it up to the body beautifully, but Jean finally had his moment in Round 8 after drilling the champ with consecutive overhand rights. Instead of tying Jean up, Crawford seemed energized by the punches and elected to trade, sending the crowd into a frenzy. But then Weeks separated the combatants, confusing the 10-second warning for the bell, a mistake Pat Russell infamously made at the conclusion of the Bradley-Jessie Vargas bout in June.

Said Crawford: “My mom always said ‘somebody hit you, hit them back.’ Something that I was raised on.”

Jean didn’t win a single round on the official scorecards, but the fighter who helped Pacquiao prepare for Floyd Mayweather had a final parting shot.

“He kept hitting me behind the head and I want to tell you that Manny’s faster and he hits harder,” said Jean, who didn’t start amateur boxing until the advanced age of 18.

Jean’s other notable bout was also a defeat, a decision loss to Lamont Peterson in 2014. Since his first career defeat, the Haiti native has reeled off four victories (three by KO). But he was no match for Crawford. Jean’s older brother died recently, but the boxer never considered breaking camp and fought with a heavy heart.

Crawford, managed by Cameron Dunkin, debuted on the network in 2013 with a wide-decision victory over puncher Breidis Prescott. The boxing writers’ 2014 fighter of the year went on to win the WBO lightweight title with a decision over Ricky Burns, then successfully defended the 135-pound two times in Omaha on HBO (Yuriorkis Gamboa and Ray Beltran).

He appears to be a super talent and perhaps the next American boxing star, but that answer won’t come until he beats a fellow elite fighter. We could find out for certain in 2016.

Jul 24, 2005
Steve Kim ‏@steveucnlive now25 minutes ago

Steve Kim Retweeted Luis Sandoval

Floyd is squatting on Manny's date at the new arena!!! He will be the first event there!!!

Jul 24, 2005
he'll fight froch at 168 but not ward?
Eddie Hearn confirms Carl Froch has asked about Gennady Golovkin Carl Froch faces the media during a press conference to promote his upcoming fight against George Groves at the Radisson Blu Edwardian Hotel on September 17, 2013 © Getty Images 9 40 0 49 By Danielle Joynson, Staff Reporter Filed: Monday, October 26, 2015 at 16:14 UK Last Updated: Monday, October 26, 2015 at 16:35 UK Matchroom Sport promoter Eddie Hearn has suggested that former IBF, WBA and WBC super-middleweight champion Carl Froch is itching to get back into the ring after asking questions about Kazakh star Gennady Golovkin. Froch retired from fighting earlier this year, but prior to that, the 38-year-old was tipped to take on Golovkin in his final bout. Hearn has revealed that Froch still has an interest in the unbeaten boxer, who is known as 'GGG', which he believes indicates that he misses the ring. "Carl phoned me for my opinion on the Golovkin fight," Hearn told Fighthype.com. "Something burns away at Carl to get back in the ring." Since retiring, Froch has been carrying out punditry duties for Sky Sports. Read more at: https://tr.im/irlbo

Props: CZAR and CZAR
Jul 24, 2005
Dan Rafael
✔
D @danr afaelespn

. A @ANDREW ard's multi-fight deal with HBO, including @KrusherKovalev fight, is agreed to. Not announced yet due to opponent issues on 11/21.
11:15 PM - 26 Oct 2015

57 57 Retweets

Jul 24, 2005
Dan Rafael
✔ D @danr afaelespn

One of the various opponents in the mix to face A @ANDREW ard as he moves up to 175 on 11/21 on the #CottoCanelo card is Cedric Agnew.
11:16 PM - 26 Oct 2015

Jul 24, 2005
Tom Loeffler T @tom Loeffler1

Props to M @Max _Kellerman for recognizing G @ggg Boxing as the "Most dangerous man on the planet"

RespectedGunnerMesut I @Iceberg Bergkamp

Yet you and him run away from Andre Ward. Still hasn't faced elite opponents T @tom Loeffler1 M @Max _Kellerman G @ggg Boxing
3:04 PM - 25 Oct 2015

Retweets

Jul 24, 2005
Tom Loeffler @TomLoeffler1

At least none of GGG opponents have ever been rejected by the Athletic Commission [ame]https://twitter.com/icebergbergkamp/status/658343285530955777[/ame] …
5:47 PM - 26 Oct 2015

53 53 Retweets

didn't ggg fight a bum in monaco that was less of a opponent that Murdoch?

Jul 24, 2005
Dan Rafael
✔ D @danr afaelespn

Another opponent mentioned for A @ANDREW ard on 11/21 #CottoCanelo card is Colombia's Alexander Brand (24-1, 19 KOs). Very little to pick from
11:24 PM - 26 Oct 2015

10 10 Retweets

Aug 31, 2003
www.ebay.com
didn't ggg fight a bum in monaco that was less of a opponent that Murdoch?
Pretty sure you're not talking about Martin Murray so I'm guessing you're talking about Adama. Murdock hasn't accomplished anything close to what Adama's done.

Let me know who Murdock even fought that as good as Roman Karmazin, much less beat to the point that his corner threw in the towel in a title eliminator that had him fight for the IBF strap.

Murdock hasn't even been in the ring with a fighter of that caliber. Adama's second best win over Grady Brewer is better than anyone Murdock's fought. Come on man.