Bootlegs vs OG's

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 4, 2006
www.myspace.com
One of the things that pissess' me off is the difference bewtween is the difference between a bootleg and a OG..... I know there are plenty of bootleged cds out there, but at the same time there are many artists who make dope music, but don't have the means or the money to professionally get these cd's pressed, and just print them on their cd burners and throw a label on them.

I don't fair that these artists are discarded as bootleggers when they're balling their own shit, but cant afford to have a "real" cd printed - especially when they're young cats with no record deal and they have to deal with the production and distribution on their own.

That's how cats start out...

It costs about as much as a decent studio to even get 2000 sealed cds together - and these kids are working on computer programs - not with pseudo-analog equipment but on their laptops or PC's with 200 dollar programs they probably got as presents.

So yeah, of course a few of these cats are going to throw cd labels on their cds and if they want to get really jumpy they sell them to cd stores, out their trunks or to their friends...

That's how I got started.

That's how 99% of artists got started..

With that said - I don't think it would be fair to look at a kids disk and call it a "bootleg."

There is a lot more than this, and I would have no problems answering questions on the situation.

Just as an individual I find it weird, how everyone expects every artist to have a sealed cd with awesome artwork.

Oct 15, 2004
Nobody expects artist to have CDs professionally pressed. I think that's your own opinion. When artist do that some sellers write printed on CD-R or mixtape style. At least that's what I do if I know that's how it's pressed

Apr 4, 2006
www.myspace.com
Nobody expects artist to have CDs professionally pressed. I think that's your own opinion. When artist do that some sellers write printed on CD-R or mixtape style. At least that's what I do if I know that's how it's pressed
I was in he business of dealing with many cats that sold straight out of their trunk, buts thats not to say I have plenty of "rare Og's" but sometimes - cats just cat just afford the 500 - 1000 it takes for proper promotion.

I should just start a record label...

Honestly, I like to see these cats hustle their own work.

That's how I started and trading... By going store to store, trading and making a few bucks,

Apr 22, 2014
• Getting 2,000 CDs factory-pressed is waaaaaaay cheaper than a studio, bro. Less than $2k for most varieties, and that's from the more expensive guys. You can easily get 2k retail discs for $1200-1500 (depending on who you go thru and what packaging you get).

• Artists haven't always been burning their own stuff and selling out the trunk or whatever - they used to goto a real studio where a real engineer would make a real master copy, which they send off to a real manufacturing plant to make real retail-ready copies. If they didn't have a distributor, then they'd sell them shits outta their trunks and what-not, but burned CDs are more of a post 2005 thing for 99% of artists.

Today, many independent artists jump between different studios and save everything as mp3s, then they burn a CD of their MP3s, so they're deteriorating the quality of their songs and most of them have no clue how any of this works.