******BOBBY SPOON UPDATE******

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 12, 2007
Hey Ya'll,

I'm new here to this forum. I joined up specifically to let the Seattle hip-hop scene know some recent news regarding Mr John F Courtright aka Bobbi Spork. However, I've been looking around & this is a pretty fresh communication format y'all got here with a lot of good info regarding the local scene. Props.

Anyhow, just in case you have been wondering whatever happened to Bobby Spoon aka John Frederick Courtright here's some pulp non fiction fresh squeezed straight from the D.O.C.. & yeah, IT IS MOS DEFINITLY FUNKY ENUFF... Without further ado................................

www.courts.wa.gov/opinions/index.cfm?fa=opinions.showOpinionTextOnly&filename=589075MAJ&printOnly=y

DO NOT CITE. SEE RAP 10.4(h).

Court of Appeals Division I
State of Washington

Opinion Information Sheet

Docket Number: 58907-5
Title of Case: State Of Washington, Resp. vs. John Courtright, App.
File Date: 11/05/2007

SOURCE OF APPEAL
----------------
Appeal from King County Superior Court
Docket No: 05-1-05020-5
Judgment or order under review
Date filed: 09/11/2006
Judge signing: Honorable Laura Inveen

JUDGES
------
Authored by Anne Ellington
Concurring: C. Kenneth Grosse
H Joseph Coleman

COUNSEL OF RECORD
-----------------

Counsel for Appellant(s)
Nielsen Broman Koch PLLC
Attorney at Law
1908 E Madison St
Seattle, WA, 98122

Casey Grannis
Nielsen Broman & Koch, PLLC
1908 E Madison St
Seattle, WA, 98122-2842

Counsel for Respondent(s)
Prosecuting Atty King County
King Co Pros/App Unit Supervisor
W554 King County Courthouse
516 Third Avenue
Seattle, WA, 98104

Cheryl L Snow
King Co Pros Office
W554
516 3rd Ave
Seattle, WA, 98104-2390

IN THE COURT OF APPEALS OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON
DIVISION ONE

STATE OF WASHINGTON, ) No. 58907-5-I
)
Respondent, )
)
v. )
)
JOHN FREDERICK COURTRIGHT, ) UNPUBLISHED OPINION
)
Appellant. ) FILED: November 5, 2007
)

PER CURIAM -- John Courtright appeals his conviction for intimidating a

witness. Finding sufficient evidence to convict him of that charge and none to

support his claim of prosecutorial misconduct, we affirm.

BACKGROUND

In July 2004, Courtright initiated a relationship with 14-year-old K.M. over the

internet. He was 22 years old. Through email and online chat sessions, Courtright

convinced K.M. to meet him in person shortly after she turned 15. On their second

meeting and frequently thereafter, the two had sex. Despite growing reservations

and a temporary protection order obtained by K.M.'s mother, K.M. continued the

relationship for several months.

In February, K.M. was contacted by S.H., another teenage girl who told her

No. 58907-5-I/2

that Courtright was seeing her, as well as several other girls. When K.M. and S.H.

attempted to confront Courtright about his infidelity, S.H. threatened to have

Courtright thrown in jail.

K.M. met Courtright for the last time on February 28, 2005. The two had been

arguing about their relationship online, and K.M. agreed to meet Courtright at a

nearby middle school to talk in his car.

When K.M. got into the car, Courtright locked the doors and drove off over her

protests. Courtright was angry because he thought K.M. would report their

relationship to the police. While they were on the freeway, K.M. attempted to call

someone and Courtright grabbed her cell phone and threw it from the vehicle. He

punched K.M.'s face, head, and leg and shoved her head into the window. He then

warned her, "if [she] told the police, that he would find [her] and kill [her], and that

he's killed people before." Report of Proceedings (RP) (July 5, 2006) at 126. K.M.

believed Courtright. She felt threatened and worried that she "might get more hurt

than [she] was." Id. at 129. When Courtright eventually dropped K.M. off several

miles from her home, she ran to a nearby business and asked people there to call

the police.

The State charged Courtright with three counts of rape of a child in the third

degree, one count of intimidating a witness, and one count of tampering with a

witness. The jury convicted Courtright on all counts.

DISCUSSION

Courtright contends the evidence was insufficient to support his conviction for

No. 58907-5-I/3

intimidating a witness. Specifically, Courtright argues there was not sufficient

evidence to prove he threatened to cause "immediate" harm to K.M. We disagree.

The test for determining the sufficiency of the evidence is whether, after

viewing all evidence in the light most favorable to the State, any rational trier of fact

could have found the essential elements of the crime beyond a reasonable doubt.

State v. Bencivenga, 137 Wn.2d 703, 706, 974 P.2d 832 (1999). "When the

sufficiency of the evidence is challenged in a criminal case, all reasonable

inferences from the evidence must be drawn in favor of the State and interpreted

most strongly against the defendant." State v. Salinas, 119 Wn.2d 192, 201, 829

P.2d 1068 (1992).

To convict Courtright of intimidating a witness, the jury had to find that he "by

use of a threat against a current or prospective witness, attempts to . . . . induce that

person not to report the information relevant to a criminal investigation." RCW

9A.72.110(1). The jury was instructed that threat "means to communicate, directly or

indirectly, the intent immediately to use force against any person who is present at

the time." Clerk's Papers at 52.

Courtright argues the State failed to prove he intended "immediately" to use

force against K.M. because Courtright merely told her that he "would" kill her in the

future if she reported their relationship to the police. The argument is without merit.

K.M. testified that Courtright's threat came after he had already struck her several

times, kept her in his car against her will, and destroyed her cell phone when she

tried to make a call. In this context, a rational trier of fact could find that Courtright

No. 58907-5-I/4

communicated "the intent immediately to use force."

Courtright also argues the prosecutor's statements denied him a fair trial. In

closing argument, the prosecutor told the jury:

And this is my perspective. You can completely disregard it if
you don't agree. Is there a little part of you that believes the reason he
is focusing on these girls who are black is that there is a hope that
maybe society just doesn't care? We will view it as less of a crime.
And I would suggest to you, I hope, that that is not even close to true.
Because I think it shows an even more concerning aspect of Mr.
Courtright's personality.

RP (July 13, 2006) at 685.

Courtright argues this remark inappropriately appealed to the passion or

prejudice of the jury and introduced facts not in evidence. He contends the

comments portrayed K.M. "not only as a victim of rape, but as a victim of racial

prejudice" whose testimony the jury would instinctively credit. Appellant's Brief at 13.

Courtright did not object to the argument. Failure to object waives any error

unless the remark is so flagrant and ill-intentioned as to cause an enduring prejudice

that could not have been neutralized with a curative instruction. State v. Russell,

125 Wn.2d 24, 86, 882 P.2d 747 (1994). While the prosecutor's comment does not

seem particularly useful, especially since she had earlier advised the jury that the

defendant's motives were immaterial,a curative instruction would have mitigated its

effect.

Further, the prosecutor's remarks must be viewed in the context of the total

argument, the evidence addressed in the argument, and the instructions given to the

jury. State v. Brown, 132 Wn.2d 529, 561, 940 P.2d 546 (1997). The remark was

No. 58907-5-I/5

part of a lengthy argument. The evidence was that Courtright told K.M. he dated

only "black girls." The prosecutor suggested a motive for that. But as the prosecutor

also said, motive was irrelevant. It does not appear at all likely, however, that any

prejudice could have resulted from the remark. The jury had been properly

instructed that counsel's arguments were not in evidence, and that it must not decide

the case on sympathy, prejudice, or personal preference. Both counsel emphasized

this instruction in their arguments. We see no substantial likelihood that the

argument affected the verdict. See State v. Lord, 117 Wn.2d 829, 887, 822 P.2d

177 (1991) (conviction will stand absent "substantial likelihood that the alleged

prosecutorial misconduct affected the verdict").

Affirmed.

FOR THE COURT:

What was not explicated in better detail was the circumstances that occured when he threatened this girl. When he punched her he broke her nose, then beat her with his fists, leaving her nearly unconscious. He then sexually assaulted her, drove her to a remote location far from her home, stripped her naked & threw her out of his car, spit on her, threatened to kill her again & sped away. Shortly thereafter he called several of his friends & made up a story about how this girl was stalking him & trying to spread lies about him & defame his character.

It's a damn shame. I can't believe I used to consider this sick fuck a friend. I shoulda known something was wrong from jump street by how much this guy liked George W Bush & the Republican Party. For anyone interested in contacting him here you go:

DOC Number: 896584 Offender Name: COURTRIGHT, JOHN Location: Washington Corrections Center

I'll bet his fellow inmates are putting his namesake to imaginitive & fitting use.

Get it... SPOON.:lick::hurt::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::)

I'm writing this & sending it out to prominent members in Seattle's hip-hop community so that you will know the truth about Bobby Spoon so that he can no longer get away with deceiving, using or hurting anyone else. I don't believe in snitching or telling folks' business or making peoples affairs public. The only time I feel that this type of action is appropriate is when it involves the abuse of children & the physical or sexual abuse of women.

Please don't let this guy near your daughters, sisters, neices, cousins, girlfriends, mothers, wives, babies etc. He is a pathological liar, a rapist, a child molester & a conniving thief who will do his best to deceive his so called friends & associates to get what he wants. & yes, believe it or not, Bobby Spoon for sure & most certainly ain't the only sicko of his kind hanging around our scene. Be careful & stay positive Seattle. Peace, One Love & God Bless.

Famous Nobuddy

Jazzo

Master of Debauchery
Aug 18, 2003
Off the Grid
Fuckin' Cho-Mo!!! I hope the soldiers take care of his punk ass on the inside. You know he has probably PC'd up and living with the other Cho-Mo's, Snitches, Blades, Rapos, etc... Does anyone know which facility they shipped him off to? How much time did he get for this cowardly act? I hate to hear about freaks like this! The word spreads fast throughout the facilities and I'm confident this punk ass bitch has his coming!

Dec 12, 2007
A racist hate crime committing, pedophile ass sex offender. & remember, he's killed people before. & oh, he is 100% Native American. & he's from the projects in Chicago. & he's a thug. & he's sold thousands of records. & he got this Seattle concert promotion biz on lock. Oh, & he...

Grown women are good, but Bobby Spoon is for the children.

Dec 12, 2007
I believe Mr Spoon is located in the lovely Shelton facility. Google WA State Doc, click on offender info & type in John Courtright & you will find him. Unfortunately there is no sentencing info available so who knows when he may be out, free & prowling grade & middle schools. Shit, right now he probably tryin the DOC to send him over to Echo Glen so he can meet a bad lil 12 bebe's baybay named Shanaynay.

Bobbi's Spooned

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
lol...i still can't remember who the fuck bobby spoon was/is....although i remember dude was a bitch, lol...

Dec 12, 2007
He did 425 Get Live-The monthly live show @ the Redmond Firehouse-An All ages affair @ a youth center. He also wrote for Seaspot among other mags & sites. He had a group called Tribal Conflicts. He was trying to start a label or management co called Apocalypse Entertainment & sell beats through a soundclick site called Eklektic Produktionz. He was a guy that seemed cool & fairly well connected the first coupla times you were around him but the longer you knew him the more his bullshit started to leak out. It's a damn shame because he is pretty intelligent & he seemed to be focused & heading towards a bright future. What a waste.

May 9, 2002

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
LOL @ me for repeating myself over 2 years later..

Gringo Starr03-15-2005, 10:28 AM

Didnt Bobby say he sold 10,000 albums out the trunk???Beat his ass for lyin...cus theres no way in hell...

:cool:
lol...i just hit google with "bobby spoon siccness" and it came up first...along with some interviews and shit from youtube..

Dec 12, 2007
True, spoon being a mark is old news. & yes, a rumor regarding him being in county for something was around a coupla years ago. However his conviction for intimidating a witness was upheld & the additional child rape, assault & sex offender status was only issued last month-November 2007. I don't know what his sentence is so my purpose of posting this information is to give a heads up to others whom he may come into contact with upon his release so that you may take the precautions necessary to not fall for any of his bullshit & to be careful of him around your women & children.

I am-props on your Google skills. Your style is unparalelled. You must have trained with the shaolin masters. (I'm just clownin, don't mind me;-)

Dec 11, 2002
I met Mr Spoon as well............ he talked about himself for a good 15 mins before my Seattle folks were like uhhh ok.. we're gonna go..

.. karma will snatch him up no doubt..