Bob Knight blasts NBA underage rule

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Grim

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
www.grim64131.freeservers.com
he makes some good points about why it hurts college basketball, I never looked it at is a negative for college until I saw some of his points, it is unfair to some teams

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- The new rule that says players must be at least one year removed from high school before entering the NBA is "the worst thing that's happened to college basketball since I've been coaching," says Texas Tech coach Bob Knight.

In the Big 12, it might be called the Kevin Durant Rule after the Longhorn freshman who has electrified the entire country and leads the conference in both scoring and rebounding. Instituted last year by the NBA, it means that super-talented players must wait at least a year rather than jumping into the pros right out of high school.

"Now you can have a kid come to school for a year and play basketball and he doesn't even have to go to class. He certainly doesn't have to go to class the second semester... That, I think, has a tremendous effect on the integrity of college sports."
-- Bob Knight
Many coaches have hailed this new approach as a blessing for the college game, because it lets NCAA schools showcase their abilities at least for one season. But Knight, the winningest college coach of all time, said he deplores it.

"Because now you can have a kid come to school for a year and play basketball and he doesn't even have to go to class," Knight said Monday during the Big 12 coaches call. "He certainly doesn't have to go to class the second semester. I'm not exactly positive about the first semester. But he would not have to attend a single class the second semester to play through the whole second semester of basketball.

"That, I think, has a tremendous effect on the integrity of college sports."

No player better exemplifies the new rule than Durant. Amazingly quick, agile and athletic for an 18-year-old, the 6-foot-9 Durant would have been a surefire NBA lottery pick any other year. But he had to find a college to play for. He chose Texas and perhaps will be remembered as the greatest to ever wear a Longhorns uniform, even though he seems likely to vault into the NBA after a sensational freshman season.

He has been named Big 12 player of the week three times and conference rookie of the week five times. He leads the league with 24.9 points and 11.4 rebounds per game and has a good chance at being national player of the year.

Knight said he would never have recruited Durant, although he doesn't blame Texas coach Rick Barnes for doing so. "I don't fault those that have, because it's within the rules," Knight said. "But the rules are just ridiculous, the way the thing is set up."

"It's just a tremendous disservice, the way that it's structured, to the integrity of college sports."

Barnes, who did not hear what Knight said earlier on the Big 12 coaches call, said he did not recruit Durant as a one-semester student.

"All we've ever said is if we recruit a player and that player said to us, 'I'm coming to school for one year and as soon as basketball season is over with I'm dropping out of school,' we would not recruit that player," he said.

"We cannot afford to jeopardize our program in that way. We want players that if they're going to come, we want them committed to a whole year academically. We tell them that's what's expected coming in."

On the subject of officiating, Knight did not let a public reprimand by Big 12 commissioner Kevin Weiberg stop him from blasting game officials who work five or six games a week.

"To have some guy 54 or 55 years old referee six times a week is a real disservice to the kids who are playing," said Knight, who was reprimanded last week for criticizing officiating in one of his games.

"They have plenty of other places they can go. They can go to the NBA, they can go to the NAIA, they can go to junior college, they can go to high school. For years, the NCAA has hidden behind individual employment contractors. I think that's all [baloney].

"You say, 'All right, if you're going to work in this league, this is how you're going to work. And if you don't want to work in this league, fine, you've got other leagues to work in.'"

Knight said he would support an effort to have the Big 12 hire its own officials who do not travel the country working different games in different leagues several nights a week.

"But these guys are so greedy, they end up trying to work these six games a week. And they're not capable of doing that," he said. "Check schedules and you'll rarely see where kids play three games a week. These kids are 19, 20 and 21 years old."

Jun 15, 2005
I've always felt that if a person can play at the professional level straight out of high school, then they should be allowed to. I mean, on the academic side of things there are child prodigies (sp?) that test out of high school and go to college at 14 years of age, so to me it's about ability level.

If you force a kid to play one or two years, then you risk injuring that kid and affecting his livelihood for the rest of his life. The emphasis should not be placed on a getting a degree from college, but rather high school.

Mar 16, 2005
enserio said:
I've always felt that if a person can play at the professional level straight out of high school, then they should be allowed to. I mean, on the academic side of things there are child prodigies (sp?) that test out of high school and go to college at 14 years of age, so to me it's about ability level.

If you force a kid to play one or two years, then you risk injuring that kid and affecting his livelihood for the rest of his life. The emphasis should not be placed on a getting a degree from college, but rather high school.

agreed!

If he wasn't mature enough he'd turn into a Demetrius Underwood and shit!

remember that dumb ass for the vikings!

Aug 26, 2002
WWW.YABITCHDONEME.COM
i heard something interesting on a recent sports radio interview..

the person being interviewed (which I think was a journalist) said something to affect of:

I hate this rule about not going directly to the NBA. No one says anything when a 18-19 yr old drops out of college to start a company or skips college to run a business.

true...right?

Nov 7, 2006
dont ya go to college to get a career, well if u are good and love playin ball then u should be able to go in once u 18 cuz its a careere and u dont need college at all IMO. KG did a good job along wit jermain oneil lebron james and even gerald green is pretty mature if u ask me

Jan 2, 2004
IN the NFL, you have to be three years out of highschool, the NBA rule is lax..

I think it should be two years, it wouldn't be as bad of a rule.. The players can go to Europe, too if they want. They'll get paid there, too..

I think it's good for the game. Imagine some people like Kwame Brown, Tyson Chandler and Eddy Curry who could've went to college.. They would've learned they need to hone there skills more before heading to the NBA. Look what it did for Carmelo.

Back in the day, everybody went to college for at least one year.. It's no worse than when Shaq was in college, or Chris Webber any of these other players. They went to College because NBA didn't really scout the high school prospects, but now they would've went straight to the NBA.. In college, they learn good fundamentals, also, something that the NBA is really missing these days.

Knight is just mad these guys won't come to his school because they don't want to get pushed around by him.. A lot of superstar players don't like to play for Knight because they don't like that they'll get yelled at and screamed at.

PGBD

Sicc OG
Nov 10, 2004
T-Rip said:
it should be 2 years so that these young players will actually want to obtain a degree.
They're not talking about junior colleges. None of these players are going to obtain a 4 year degree in 2 years. Hell, there are players that have been at their schools for 4 years and don't even have 2 years of credits under their belt (school is their last priority).

I shouldn't have used the words Academic Work. That's reserved for Scholars.

PGBD

Sicc OG
Nov 10, 2004
KrazeeRDM said:
dont ya go to college to get a career, well if u are good and love playin ball then u should be able to go in once u 18 cuz its a careere and u dont need college at all IMO.
No, you don't go to a 4 year college to get a career. You go to a vocational school to get a career. I think 4 year colleges are for learning stuff or something.

PGBD

Sicc OG
Nov 10, 2004
The NBA should be run like the Jungle, in which, only the strongest (the most physically and mentally adept) survive. So if a high school hopeful would like to test his abilities in the NBA he should be allowed to do so. NBA selection (similar to natural selection) will eventually weed out the better suited from the not so better suited. YA SEE ME

If the intentions of the athlete is only to play basketball and forego schooling, then yes, the integrity of the college game is diminished.

When I say "NBA selection" I don't mean the draft. I'm talking about a player been drafted and eventually staying in the league or being pushed out.

ATF

Sicc OG
May 3, 2002
I like the rule...just based on more talent on the college level...If it wasnt for the new rule Indiana probely wouldnt have got Eric Gordon next year who would have without a doubt went straight to the NBA...

I like the rule.Now players who say they will come WILL come & not commit & go in the NBA draft..