blue mics

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Oct 11, 2005
YOUNGMOE said:
a secret?
it's only the most overhyped mic in hiphop
Overhyped? Hell no that Mic is not overhyped. That Mic makes everything sound Crystal Clear, but of course like all mics its not gonna sound good on everyone. Sony C-800g+Vintech-Audio X73 preamp= Dopeness.

Apr 25, 2002
InsaneMixaken said:
Call it what you want I own a U87 and a 800g there the cream of the crops for the music I do. Shit dont come cheap if ya serious about ya music mane.
i've had mics that cost a bit more then U87's
dude i've had A LOT OF MICS

and i'm telling you i can match your results with that 800g
with an 400 dollar mic

i wouldn't use the 800g unless i was recording R&B...

i can guarantee i've dropped more cash on recording equipment(recording=key word) then anyone on this site...
and i learned that HIP HOP is all about your PREAMP...

Apr 25, 2002
the vintech is MUCH more grainy then the real Neve one's...most people say they sound nothing alike

that being said
I had a vintech and I LOVED IT...
but i only used it for the most grimey of tracks...cus it's not a CLEAN or SMOOTH sounding pre

and warmth does not=the opposite of clean

Apr 25, 2002
in the vintech price range?
it's what 1800 and it's a micpre/eq

are you looking for just a micpre? single channel?
Great River Mp1-nv...is friggin beautiful on vocals
and it's got just enough roughness...great for male vocals
i think it's like 1100 bucks

Oct 3, 2005
damn, so you're lookin at $1500 just to get your voice on a track. i have a hard time fathoming how expensive this shit can get. i wish i had the time/money to get deep into this shit, but i'm workin on it...

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
1500 ain't shit there are vintage mics that are over 10gs, i feel ya though. I went to school for this and don't have the loot to buy that high end of stuff but you don't need million dollar gear to have a good sound if you are knowedgable and know the right things to buy and what kind of gear to use in the right situation

May 10, 2004
YOUNGMOE said:
i've had mics that cost a bit more then U87's
dude i've had A LOT OF MICS

and i'm telling you i can match your results with that 800g
with an 400 dollar mic

i wouldn't use the 800g unless i was recording R&B...

i can guarantee i've dropped more cash on recording equipment(recording=key word) then anyone on this site...
and i learned that HIP HOP is all about your PREAMP...
Hip Hop is all about your pre amp? So it's all about the vocal quality in the end?

Oct 11, 2005
YOUNGMOE said:
the vintech is MUCH more grainy then the real Neve one's...most people say they sound nothing alike

that being said
I had a vintech and I LOVED IT...
but i only used it for the most grimey of tracks...cus it's not a CLEAN or SMOOTH sounding pre

and warmth does not=the opposite of clean
I know your probably speakin from your experiences, but my experiences where different. I have have to disagree with your statement about the vintech being Much more grainy and not sounding anything like the OG Neves. While you are right in saying that they are not a super clean sound (it is replicating an older unit), but from my experiences the vintechs come vary close to the originals. Dont believe me here is a review by MIX magazine where they compared 2 neve 1073 and the Vintech. Even they said that the Vintech X73 had little difference and when using equalizers on line level sources there was no difference at all. Interesting read

http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_vintech_audio/

Quote from Article
I tried the X73 with different microphones on all the sources I would normally use a 1073, and it sounded the same in all cases.

50cal

Sicc OG
Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
YOUNGMOE said:
MIX magazine is also known to give extremely biased revies...I.E. PAYOLA
look
the vintech is NOWHERE NEAR BAD...
it can just be better for cheaper...IMO
it's all about PERSONAL use...
what about the chameleon..its a neve knockoff..I heard it was pretty good.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
All of this is subjective. The sound I can get out of these boxes in my room will be entirely different from what you get out of yours. Bottom line is you are going to have to make the best of whatever it is you are using and practice good miking techniques.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
YOUNGMOE said:
MIX magazine is also known to give extremely biased revies...I.E. PAYOLA
look
the vintech is NOWHERE NEAR BAD...
it can just be better for cheaper...IMO
it's all about PERSONAL use...
the director of education from my school is also one of the chief editors of mix magizine. the guy gets tons of free gear every month