Blame one thing for Hip Hop/Rap's decline.

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Hip Hop/Rap Music's Decline:

• capital/consumer/commercial-ISM: Music is made to sell not to be Timeless.

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Time : like other musical Genre's Hip Hop inevitably has ran it's course.

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Oversaturation: Everyone thinks they can rap. watered down music.

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Social changes: Hip Hop can no longer thrive in the new society.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Unappreciated: Downloading / Bootlegging ruined Artist drive, and changed the fans.

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Not a thing...Rap is as good as ever.

Votes: 8 25.0%

• Total voters

S.L.A.B

Hiphop-TV
Mar 26, 2006
hiphop-tv.blogspot.nl
I dont think its been a bad year and its actually turning in a good state again. There where more than enough good albums released. A few years ago there where barely any good albums and it was mostly about mixtapes.

Im not speaking on mainstream though but in general there is nothing wrong with it and I'm happy with the amount of new artist comming that are bringing hip hop back again.

Feb 10, 2006
it's hard to tell, i blame it on the regions. I miss the old days where you could tell where a rapper was coming from just by listening to their beat, shit done changed and everybody's beats sound all the same. It's not as hardcore anymore either(lyrics wise) now everybody has a trap beat with an r & b singer on the hook tryna tell me about his "hood", fucc that.

Feb 10, 2006
It's #3 hands down. Everyone buys good quality music, whether it's a single or an album from your favorite artist. But when someone like Mike Will Made It or Drake get support from groupies and other fools follow it, hip hop makes a turn for the worst. Adrian Younge, Alchemist, DJ Quik, and DJ Premiere had breakout years and got me excited about 2015

T.C

Sicc OG
Jul 22, 2003
I don't think there is a decline in rap talentwise. Niggas got bars now more than ever. I think the money isn't flowing in like it used to. But that has more to do with the paradigm shift in music in general. Everything is digital now, which means the playing field is somewhat equal for everyone to put themselves on. Some niggas embraced the change and took off, while others try to fight against it and struggle.

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
1 and 3...and the main reasoning behind that i believe is the "casual fan" the male or female who just thinks something is catchy..the one who doesnt mind buying a fucking mp3 off itunes and the forgetting about it a week later..the female who has a slight alcohol problem who "ohhh shit this is my jam..i heard it in the club..."
This is a major factor indeed, I wrote at length about this in another recent thread.

But in general of the things on this list it is 1,3,4,5,2, in this order (but the differences between the contributions of the latter three are not that large)

A lot of things came together to kill hip-hop, and many of them are derivatives of much larger societal factors (and by "societal" we should not understand just processes internal to the US). There is no single factor. But it's too long to write here. Unfortunately, I can't find any example of anyone having done that in one piece (one would expect to find something of substance on the subject in JSTOR, but no such luck, which is quite disappointing).

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
it's hard to tell, i blame it on the regions. I miss the old days where you could tell where a rapper was coming from just by listening to their beat, shit done changed and everybody's beats sound all the same. It's not as hardcore anymore either(lyrics wise) now everybody has a trap beat with an r & b singer on the hook tryna tell me about his "hood", fucc that.
Unfortunately, the regional styles, which were the primary driver of innovation in the past are not coming back. That ship has sailed - the internet is here to stay, and with it the homogenization of styles.

DaGrimProphet

English Gentleman
Dec 23, 2014
UK
The kids and teens control most of the mainstream music market and these kids today are dumber than ever... they dont appreciate the real raw production and most of em dont even listen to the lyrics... just look at young thug, you cant even understand what that fool sayin!!