Black Hippy (Jay Rock, Kendrick Lamar, etc) Signs w/ Aftermath

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 22, 2004
Article on HHDX also says all future releases from Jay Rock, Ab Soul and Schoolboy Q will be released through Top Dawg/Interscope. No more Strange for Jay Rock?

Kain

Sicc OG
Jun 16, 2004
It may be them twisting their facts. The article says that Kendrick Lamar and the "Black Hippy crew" signed. It could be a situation where Lamar signed as a solo artist, and then Black Hippy signed as a group (and thus they're interpretting that as them releasing solo projects through the deal as well), when it's really more of a Wu-Tang situation. They're signed to Aftermath as a group, but still have their solo deals elsewhere.

I find it a little hard to believe that Jay Rock would be included in the Murder Dog shoot/feature if he was leaving the label for Aftermath (days later). Perhaps his future releases will carry logos for Top Dawg, Strange Music, Aftermath and Interscope. It's not unheard of for artists to have ties to multiple labels. Especially when some of them are small/independent.

EDIT: It looks like it's Top Dawg Entertainment that has signed a joint venture with Aftermath/Interscope, not the artists themselves.

dangeroo kipawaa ‏ D @dillionay ookipawaa

* TDE signed a joint venture with Aftermath and Interscope. Not Kendrick Jay Rock AB-Soul and Schoolboy Q. They are signed to TDE.

* They go where I take them. I don't like how Fader titled the story. The story was about Top Dawg Entertainment.

* Black Hippy the group is signed to TDE. They are not involved in the deal. I have the freedom to put em out thru any company I want or indy

0R0

Girbaud Shuttle Jeans
Dec 10, 2006
BasedWorld
What were the terms when jay rock signed with strange? I mean he's still been TDE this whole time right? Does he owe the label more albums?

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
weak....I got juiced at the thought of School Boy Q & Kendrick Lamar over Dre beats, but if its just a distribution-esque deal then that sucks