Black culture beyond hip-hop

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

J:M

Sicc OG
Feb 4, 2004
Found this on Sacbee & it's about hip hop. I know it's a stretch, but I think it's a good article to put on BART. (Article originally released in Washington Post)

I searched and couldn't find anything, if this thread is a dupe, mods please delete. Thanks!

What do you think?

Thomas Chatterton Williams: Black culture beyond hip-hop
By Thomas Chatterton Williams -
Published 12:00 am PDT Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Over the past three decades black culture has grown so conflated with hip-hop culture that for most Americans under the age of 45, hip-hop culture is black culture. Except that it's not.

During the controversy over Don Imus' comments this spring, the radio host was pilloried for using the same sexist language that is condoned, if not celebrated, in hip-hop music and culture. As the scandal evolved, some critics, including the Rev. Al Sharpton and the NAACP, shifted their attention to the rap industry. Indeed, every couple of years, it seems, we ask ourselves: Is hip-hop poisonous? Is it misogynistic, violent and nihilistic? What kind of message is it sending? But what critics consistently fail to emphasize in these sporadic storms of opprobrium, as most did during the Imus affair, is that the stakes transcend hip-hop: Black culture itself is in trouble.

Born in the projects of the South Bronx, tweaked to its gangsta form in the 'hoods of South Central Los Angeles and dumbed down unconscionably in the ghettos of the "Dirty South" (the original Confederate states, minus Missouri and Kentucky), there are no two ways about it -- hip-hop culture is not black culture, it's black street culture. Despite 40 years of progress since the civil rights movement, in the hip-hop era -- from the late 1970s onward -- black America, uniquely, began receiving its values, aesthetic sensibility and self-image almost entirely from the street up.

This is a major departure for blacks, who traditionally saw cultivation as a key to equality. Think of the days when W.E.B. Du Bois "(sat) with Shakespeare" and moved "arm in arm with Balzac"; or when Ralph Ellison waxed universal and spoke of the need "to extend one's humanity and one's knowledge of human life."

The historian Paul Fussell notes that for most Americans, it is difficult to "class sink." Try to imagine the Chinese-American son of oncologists -- living in, say, a New York suburb such as Westchester, attending private school -- who feels subconsciously compelled to model his life, even if only superficially, on that of a Chinese mafioso dealing heroin on the Lower East Side. The cultural pressure for a middle-class Chinese-American to walk, talk and act like a lower-class thug from Chinatown is nil. The same can be said of Jews, or of any other ethnic group.

But in black America the folly is so commonplace it fails to attract serious attention. Like neurotics obsessed with amputating their own healthy limbs, middle-class blacks concerned with "keeping it real" are engaging in gratuitously self-destructive and violently masochistic behavior.

Sociologists have a term for this pathological facet of black life.

It's called "cool-pose culture." Whatever the nomenclature, "cool pose" or keeping it real or something else entirely, this peculiar aspect of the contemporary black experience -- the inverted-pyramid hierarchy of values stemming from the glorification of lower-class reality in the hip-hop era -- has quietly taken the place of white racism as the most formidable obstacle to success and equality in the black middle classes.

As John H. McWhorter emphasizes in his book "Losing the Race: Self-Sabotage in Black America," "forty years after the Civil Rights Act, African-American students on the average are the weakest in the United States, at all ages, in all subjects, and regardless of class level." Reading and math proficiency test results consistently show this. Clearly, this Inostalgie de la boue/I , this longing for the mud, exacts a hefty price.

A 2005 study by Roland G. Fryer of Harvard University crystallizes the point: While there is scarce dissimilarity in popularity levels among low-achieving students, black or white, Fryer finds that "when a student achieves a 2.5 GPA, clear differences start to emerge." At 3.5 and above, black students "tend to have fewer and fewer friends," even as their high-achieving white peers "are at the top of the popularity pyramid." With such pressure to be real, to not "act white," is it any wonder that the African-American high school graduation rate has stagnated at 70 percent for the past three decades? Until black culture as a whole is effectively disentangled from the python-grip of hip-hop, and by extension the street, we are not going to see any real progress.

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
Good read.

I think black as well as latino people tend to idolize drug dealers & pimps because of their ability to make money, and the inability to do so in the "real world". it seems like everyone took courses in "hatred for the white devil 101" because "acting white" is one of the worst things you can do. there needs to be better role models for kids, and thats one of the reasons I applaud david stern. he forced all of the nba to wear suits or business-casual dress at all times when being in contact with the media. at the same time I didn't like it because it was pretty much made for allen iverson and it suggests that the people wearing baggy clothes & big ass chains were promoting thuggetry. plus he's white and telling the nba players (who are mostly black) how to dress & present themselves.

but there aren't many black & latino role models that are looked up to for inspiration that aren't acting like criminals.

and I'm tired of people calling hip hop a black thing too, but thats just me.

May 5, 2002
Defy said:
and I'm tired of people calling hip hop a black thing too, but thats just me.
dunno why u would be. its like if someone refers to Reggaeton, Salsa, Merengue etc as a latin thing, even tho there might be other folks involved and fans. I dont know why its so hard 4 people to admit Rap/Hip Hop is a child of Black-Americans, and continues to be overwhelmingly reared by Black-Americans, but that doesnt mean its ONLY a black thing, but 91% yes

Aug 5, 2004
www.myspace.com
4fifteenRolla said:
dunno why u would be. its like if someone refers to Reggaeton, Salsa, Merengue etc as a latin thing, even tho there might be other folks involved and fans. I dont know why its so hard 4 people to admit Rap/Hip Hop is a child of Black-Americans, and continues to be overwhelmingly reared by Black-Americans, but that doesnt mean its ONLY a black thing, but 91% yes
Maybe cuz Blacks and Latinos were involved together from the beginning and the evolution of hip hop is color-less. Hip Hop is the new Jazz!

Oct 22, 2005
UHM HIP HOP WAS STARTED BY BLACK FOLKS AS WELL AS ROCK,JAZZ,BLUES,ETC BUT NO HIP-HOP IS NOT AFRICAN AMERICAN CULTURE WE NEED TO KEEP TRUE AND MAKE A MORE POSITIVE IMAGE IN HIP-HOP WITHOUT "SELLING OUT"

Aug 5, 2004
www.myspace.com
Rose_Red said:
UHM HIP HOP WAS STARTED BY BLACK FOLKS AS WELL AS ROCK,JAZZ,BLUES,ETC BUT NO HIP-HOP IS NOT AFRICAN AMERICAN CULTURE WE NEED TO KEEP TRUE AND MAKE A MORE POSITIVE IMAGE IN HIP-HOP WITHOUT "SELLING OUT"
Yeah your point is? I said Hip-Hop is the new Jazz.

Feb 27, 2006
if the media only focuses on gangsta rap or whatever they play on BET everyday then of course thats what people are gonna think thats what black culture is. but black culture will forever be intwined with music, dance etc. because thats how the black race expresses themselves. every race is different. but for some reason blacks all over the world are gifted with the gift to entertain each other. if the media focuses on one aspect, thats all they soak up.

Aug 5, 2004
www.myspace.com
I think people only believe what they want to. I remember in the 80's looking at rock stars and they would be doing coke, drinking doing bimbo's. I never thought damn, white people are out of control. I think American likes the idea of other race's being out of control and uncivilized. Hip Hop is still young and Americans are still in shock mode. At one point, Jazz music was looked down upon by the mass also. Read Quincy Jones autobiography ya'll might learn something.

Oct 22, 2005
^^^ YEA OR ENTERTAIN WHITE PEOPLE..WHITE PEOPLE LOVE TO HEAR ALL THIS IGNORANCE THATS IN ALOT OF "Hip-Hop" today but I agree with u black people was the first race on earth and will be tha last..we can do anything exceptionally well other then rap,play sports,or be comedians we need more black doctors, governors,nurses etc SO WHEN U RAP THINKIN WHUT U RAP ABOUT U KAN HELP THA HOOD OR HURT IT

Aug 5, 2004
www.myspace.com
Rose_Red said:
^^^ YEA OR ENTERTAIN WHITE PEOPLE..WHITE PEOPLE LOVE TO HEAR ALL THIS IGNORANCE THATS IN ALOT OF "Hip-Hop" today but I agree with u black people was the first race on earth and will be tha last..we can do anything exceptionally well other then rap,play sports,or be comedians we need more black doctors, governors,nurses etc SO WHEN U RAP THINKIN WHUT U RAP ABOUT U KAN HELP THA HOOD OR HURT IT
True, but I don't think black people can do it on there own. Just like the white man can't, the white had to step on a lot of toes and utilized other race's to get to the top. So the black man Latin, Asian ect.. Need to click up to really bring positively to the hood. Cuz blacks ain't the only people in the hood, over half of the stores in the hood are owned by Asians or other race's.

Oct 21, 2006
speedy gonzalez said:
True, but I don't think black people can do it on there own. Just like the white man can't, the white had to step on a lot of toes and utilized other race's to get to the top. So the black man Latin, Asian ect.. Need to click up to really bring positively to the hood. Cuz blacks ain't the only people in the hood, over half of the stores in the hood are owned by Asians or other race's.
Yup we can't have this shit between "minorities". Im not mad if I'm insulted, i'm mad that there is no unity when it is needed!

Oct 21, 2006
What's even worse is the violence within one race. Willie Lynch "How to Make a Slave". Look it up. Mos Def & Talib Kweli mentioned this back in 1998.

http://www.uky.edu/StudentOrgs/AWARE/archives/lynch.html

whether the slave live in the valley, on hill, East, West, North, South,
That is relevant today as in which government owned killing ground are you from. All the other characteristics are obvious.

Aug 5, 2004
www.myspace.com
City Situation said:
What's even worse is the violence within one race. Willie Lynch "How to Make a Slave". Look it up. Mos Def & Talib Kweli mentioned this back in 1998.

http://www.uky.edu/StudentOrgs/AWARE/archives/lynch.html

That is relevant today as in which government owned killing ground are you from. All the other characteristics are obvious.
Very sad...I don't understand it.

May 5, 2002
speedy gonzalez said:
Maybe cuz Blacks and Latinos were involved together from the beginning and the evolution of hip hop is color-less. Hip Hop is the new Jazz!
If u think the real roots of Rap. The transition of what poeple like James Brown, Gil Scott Heron, African Rhythms etc had Latin involvement ur trippin. Im not sayin there werent Latin folks there for B-Boy'n n shit like that. But if Latin folks were there equally as Black folks then so were white folks, but the last time I saw a hip hop tribute show it was prolly 80% black, 15% white and 5% Latin, but i guess those dont really tell it how it was?

i do agree that now hip hop is across color lines. Hoever it still is and always will be a derivative of Afriacn-American society, just like Jazz & Blues. If u tell me that Jazz wasnt a black thing u need to get up on the REAL history, not what mf's want you to think. Jazz was str8 black, til some white folks came along n sold it to white America