Benoit's Brain Was Severely Damaged

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 4, 2002
Report: Chris Benoit's Brian Was Severely Damaged
Written by Ryan Gray on September 05, 2007 at 10:29:36
There are 4 comments on this post. Add yours now!

Source ABCNews.com

ABC News is confirming that tests conducted by Julian Bailes of the Sports Legacy Institute show that Chris Benoit’s brain was severely damaged at the time he murdered his wife and son before taking his own life. According to the tests his brain resembled that of an 85-year-old Alzheimer's patient. Bailes said that the damage was the result of lifetime chronic concussions and head trauma.

Chris Benoit was famous for his flying headbutt, which is a lot of stress on the brain each time the maneuver is pulled off. While nothing can justify his actions, this at least helps the coping process.

http://www.wrestlingexposed.com/headlines/22843.shtml

May 4, 2002
AP: Brain Damage May Have Caused Wrestler Chris Benoit to Kill Family, Doctor Says
Posted by Larry Csonka on 09.05.2007

The AP picks up the story.

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

AP: ATLANTA —
A doctor who examined brain matter from former pro wrestler Chris Benoit is saying the wrestler had brain damage from multiple concussions that was consistent with what's seen in Alzheimer's patients.

Dr. Julian Bailes told ABC's Good Morning America that the "striking and maybe shocking" damage may have been a leading cause for Benoit killing his wife, children and himself at their Atlanta-area home in June.

Bailes showed the show's hosts images of a healthy brain and of part of Benoit's brain — which had large brown spots he said were dead brain cells and their connecting tissue. He said such damage is not caused by steroid use.

May 4, 2002
Concussions Look to be the Cause of Benoit’s Rage
Posted by Larry Csonka on 09.05.2007

The tests are complete, and very revealing.

According to wsbtv.com out of Atlanta, the test results on Chris Benoit's brain suggest that a series of concussions may have caused the rage that led him to murder his wife, his son and commit suicide.

In the article, Dr. Julian Bailes, head of neurosurgery at WVU, said the results of tests on Chris Benoit's brain were striking. Showing a slide of Benoit's brain tissue Wednesday morning on ABC's Good Morning America Bailes pointed out what he called abnormalities. "These are dead brain cells," said Bailes.

When asked how much of that he found Bailes replied, "It was extensive, throughout Chris's brain. It was striking and maybe shocking in the extent." The researcher said Benoit's brain scan looked similar to those of Alzheimer's patients. He described Benoit's brain as "very abnormal, something you should never see in a 40-year old."

Bailes has done similar research on the brains of former professional football players who committed suicide. He found similar brain damage in their cases; theroizes that repeated concussions can lead to dementia, which can contribute to severe behavioral problems. He goes onto say that a pattern emerges, "a recurring theme of failure in their personal lives and their business lives, depression and then ultimate suicide."

You can see another article on this at ABCNews.go.com.

Jan 2, 2004
I believe I said this when it first happened... They were talking about it with football players, but I bet a lot of these wrestlers who killed themselves like Mike Awesome and the others, I'd bet that there brains were fucked up from concussions.

Apr 11, 2005
www.myspace.com
yeah i feel like dis pretty much explains it. he head 2 have severe damage from all dem divin headbutts hez done off da top rope n chair shotz n shit. dudez done like 5000 headbutts. i dont give a fuck wat nobody sayz im still a huge fan of chris benoit.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
Yeah i heard those concussions cause some people to flipp out. I heard alot of NFL linemen go nutty from all that helmet to helmet contact over the years (no homo)

P.E.

Sicc OG
Feb 24, 2003
this sheds a whole new light in the way i still look at benoit!!...everyone was quick to blame the man b4 the results came in and b4 anyone knew exactly wut happened.....yea they found a steroid in him but its like they say ,roids dont make you flip out like that..yea its still sad wut he did to his family,but now theres real proof why he did it!!....this is a doctor that did studies that is saying its cuz of all the headbutts ,homie wasent right in the head anymore!...you can tell just the way he spoke about eddie after he passed and his family,the way he was ballin on national television,aside from wrestling u could tell he was a real humble and compassionate human being,..if he was living in his right mind i dont think he would of did wut he did,....so to me after hearing this new "evidence"...i now again still continue to have all the respect for benoit,and to me he will still always be one of my favorite and one of the best wrestlers of all time!!......R.I.P Chris Benoit!!..

Jan 2, 2004
Of course they did.. I wouldn't doubt if they went far enough to take his moves out as well, so people can't create him.

He'll never be in the Hall of Fame, either, like his skill suggests that he should.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
yeah Vince pretty much has done everything he could to distance himself from the incident, I would too. He has shareholders to think about.