Beat Thievery on Thuglordz

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 2, 2002
Luckily, this time it wasn't me! Thought I'd let yall know, since most everyone here is a beatsmith of some sort.

Just puttin the word out about a cat named Mobeta that jacked my homey Epic on beats. I guess Mobeta is a supposed beat broker, anybody that does beats don't trust him. They have Mobeta's name on the new Thuglordz album by Yukmouth and CBO on the intro track and I believe the other one is track 10. Epic made those tracks. Sad part was that one of those beats he was in talks with Rakim!!! to sell too. Too bad for that one.

Epic has done production for Brotha Lynch Hung, Keak da Sneak, Mac Dre, the new Spice1/MCEiht album, etc...

Dec 2, 2002
was it you that got jacked by mac dre? if so what ever happened about that? i think it was the beat to 'stuart littles' someone on here claimed he stole that beat after receiving a beat sampler cd.

i hate shady shit like this. i hope your homeboy catches dude in traffic sometime cuz shit is way too faulty now adays.

May 2, 2002
Yeah, that was me Toxsick. He also got me for the intro to Mac Dammit Man, and the title track on that album. Shit happens.

If you hear Loki's new album, I resequenced the beat to Stuart Littles and got a much better mix and it's on a song called Good Riddance. He posted it up on the www.evildooinz.com/wforum if you want to check it out.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
SHIT LIKE THIS NEEDS TO STOP. THIS IS ONE OF MANY REASONS WHY THE MUSIC (ESPECIALLY RAP) BUSINESS IS FAULTY. IF I WERE EPIC I WOULD DO ONE OF SEVERAL THINGS.

1. WAIT UNTIL THE ALBUM IS RELEASED AND PUSHES AROUND 50K-500K UNITS. AFTER THAT I'D BRING A CASE AGAINST THE THIEF, THE LABEL AND POSSIBLY THE DISTRIBUTOR IF POSSIBLE.

2. IF THAT DIDN'T WORK I WOULD CATCH DUDE IN TRAFFIC.......

HOW DID HE GET YOUR BOYS TRACKS ANYWAY?????? DID HE TAKE A LESSON FROM YOUR EXPERIENCE AND REGISTER THE BEAT WITH THE US COPYRIGHTS OFFICE? IF SO HE SHOULD FILE A LAWSUIT AFTER THE ALBUM GENERATES MONEY........IF NOT........LEARN THE BUSINESS........

:HGK:

PS JR CHARIZMA (ASK SHANIA TO LET YOU PEEP HIS MUSIC) HAD 6 KANYE WEST BEATS. THE GUY WHO ORIGINALLY WORKED WITH CHARIZMA SAID HE GOT THEM FROM KANYE BECAUSE HE OWED HIM SOME TRACKS. WELL....CHARIZ IS NO LONGER WORKING WITH THE GUY, HAS RE-CUT THE ALBUM WITH/FOR ME AND DROPPED THE KANYE TRACKS. WHY? WE DON'T KNOW WHERE THE HELL HE GOT THOSE TRACKS FROM. WE DON'T KNOW WHO OWNS THE PUBLISHING, DON'T KNOW IF THEY WERE STOLEN ETC ETC ETC. HELL THEY MIGHT NOT EVEN BE KANYE WEST TRACKS. THE GUYS NAME WAS "SILENT PARTNER" OR "JOHN DOE". HAVE YOU HEARD OF HIM?

May 2, 2002
Haven't heard of him man, but I'll keep an ear/eye out for him. I'm not too sure what Epic has done so far, I do know that when he called I was with Siccmade's management and we were talkin about what could be done. I know Thuglordz is already out, and that we were talking about putting a cease and desist out on the album. Epic's main thing wasn't really the fact that he didn't get paid (though I'm sure he was pissed about that) but that he didn't get ANY credit for the dope beats! Also, he was in talks with Rakim about beats, and Rakim had expressed interest in one of those beats, so that kind of got ruined there.

Epic told me that the reason he had given mo beta the beats was cause mobeta was acting as some sort of a beat broker and was supposed to help sell them and then get a percentage of what was made. I would think that before Epic went and fucked with a supposed "beat broker" he would've copyrighted the shit first.

The main reason I posted this everywhere, was to just let any artists that might be in talks with mobeta or yuk/bo to have a little understanding of what has happened in the past and to watch themselves. Anytime I hear about shit like this, especially with friends or myself, I want everyone (especially other artists) to know so that they can make sure they have their shit straight before they go and fuck with those cats. Not tryin to put artists out of business, just tryin to open eyes you, feel me???

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
wtf is a "beat broker"?!?!?!?! Is that like a publisher? I can understand a publisher shopping the beats/music/song to clients for albums, soundtracks etc etc etc. But a beat broker??????

1. who the hell would give *anyone* a whole beat?????? I've shot snippit cd's to people. They fade in, fade out and usually can't be looped because of the way i sequenced/arranged the music. I've yet to shoot anyone a full track before they cashed me out. In your case it was a mistake. You accidently gave up the cd and dre took it and ran with it. What is epic's excuse?

2. Even if he doesn't have the tracks registered he can bring a suit. He won't receive certain damages and won't be entitled to lawyers fee's but he can do it. If he didn't have the shit registered he should file ASAP. If he did have it registered he should wait.....

3. I feel you 100% but if a software company found out you had over 500k worth of cracked soft synths,plug ins and apps on your computer would they go easy on you? They would run you out of business. I'm not saying to run C-BO and Yuk out of business cause they probably didn't know. I would however file against them because they did the project. Filing against them would bring the heat down on that cat and expose the guilty parties.

:hgk:

May 2, 2002
I wish I could tell you more. I'm just interpreting it the way it sounded when he told me. Maybe he didn't say beat broker, but that was the idea I got. I really don't understand what this mobeta cat was doing with epic's tracks, especially considering the level of production and artists Epic has worked with in the past. I'm not even sure if mobeta had the full tracks, I haven't even heard Thuglordz.

Kp

Sicc OG
Oct 29, 2002
www.tootiterecords.com
hmmm...sine we're on the topic....what if someone had a beat put on that they bought but was sent to another artist and not paid for, but used? A little different but Heresy maybe you could shed a little light...? P.S. I aint forgotten about you...just been real busy I'm a be at you soon.

Apr 25, 2002
^^ I'm not sure what exactly you're asking. Do you mean what if you bought a beat but the cat who made it sent it to someone else and that person used it? Or you used a beat someone else bought?

Regardless, in the end it all boils down to paperwork. If you paid for a beat and don't have the licensing or ownership papers, things might not go your way in court. You *ALWAYS* get paperwork whenever you use someone elses works.

Kp

Sicc OG
Oct 29, 2002
www.tootiterecords.com
Sick Wid It said:
^^ I'm not sure what exactly you're asking. Do you mean what if you bought a beat but the cat who made it sent it to someone else and that person used it? Or you used a beat someone else bought?

Regardless, in the end it all boils down to paperwork. If you paid for a beat and don't have the licensing or ownership papers, things might not go your way in court. You *ALWAYS* get paperwork whenever you use someone elses works.

Well both actually. What kinda paperwork would you need if you were buyen the beats?

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
I didn't understand your question either. Paperwork can be as simple as one page but can be as complex as 100 pages. The only thing you NEED is something that outlines/explains the purchase (who purchased it, who can sell it, who can use it/licensing, how much it was purchased for etc etc etc).

copyrights/restrictions (if any), points (if any), ownership (of tracks/masters/) and publishing *MIGHT* come into play based on your project. Would I slang a beat to Jay-z , call it work for hire and take $10k when I could take $5k and points? Would I slang a track to you and include all these clauses about ascap if you only plan on pressing 1000 units?

a contract outlining terms of use, price, ownership etc etc etc usually consists of 1-3 sheets of paper.

if you purchased a track but someone else used it get your money back. can you get your money back?

if you used a beat someone else purchased who knows? who purchased it first? who registered the song first?

I don't know whats going on but when we connected you told me about something similar to what your posting now. What was my advice? Contact the person (you know who I'm talking about) or contact the guy who originally paid for it and see if any clauses/restrictions were placed on it.

ps I think I sold that one beat........My archives have dwindled within the past 2 months and I havent been making music lately. rewiring, mic booth, room treating, etc etc etc.

Kp

Sicc OG
Oct 29, 2002
www.tootiterecords.com
haha...i know what you're thinken...but it's not that. That shit actually came out lovely and I got a package out to him. We're straight on that. I'm speaking hypothetical. If I bought a beat from ric rock and then heard it come up on 40s album say...i sat on the beat, for instance, and didnt put it out for a min, but planned on usen it at my disposure. And then I hear my shit bangin on 40s album? Or what if its an artist less "powerful" or as "big" as 40 but similar....feel me? And then switch the script and look at it from the producer wit 2 artists on the same beat wit only 1 purchase. Holla

May 2, 2002
KP - Hit Heresy before it's too late. He has so much heat mayn.

Heresy - I haven't seen/talked with Shania for a while but last time I saw her she played me some DOPE shit

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
@JR I'm glad you liked the tracks. The charizma tracks I gave Shania might get the axe. I need you to do me a favor pimp. I no longer use AOL as my ISP. Shanias contact info was in that account. Is it possible that you can have her hit me up?

HERESY

[email protected]
707 552-7962

Thanks in advance.

@KP 12 pm is cool. Call me just to confirm.

707 552-7962