Bay area Rappers on MTV: blackalicous??

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 13, 2002
How yall think Blackalicious gettin airplay on MTV crossin from Underground to mainstream...? how yall feel that he is from Oakland and reps it just as all the other cats from the town do like 3xKrazy and yet Blackalicious is the ony one makin MTV slots.. Do yall think its cuz Black aint rappin no gangster shit? tell me what yall think, and before yall reply with "i dont want to see my bay area potnas cross game into MTV" cuz thats not what im tryna hear....

out of all the talent in the yay its blackalicious thats recognized? i know he tight wit his shit but dayamn there are so many other niggas out here that come tighter than him...

Post up.......

Apr 25, 2002
www.BallerSignMusic.com
From the jump, Blackalicious has a definite advantage over a lot of Bay Area rappers for getting airtime, because they're now signed to a major label...MCA Records. Other than that, I've got to say that they definitely deserve any and all popularity they receive, because they consistently put together innovative, inspired hip-hop music. Their material definitely doesn't sound like every other bay area release, so it will not be labeled as such. Gift of Gab spits intelligent, well thought out lyrics, unlike most other cats from the yay that only rap about guns, drugs, and bitches. These dudes are coming with some next level shit, while the majority of bay rappers are a dime a dozen. THAT is why Blackalicious is (finally) getting commercial props instead of other Bay cats. It's not like they're new to the game, they've been grindin' independent for years and are just now making some major noise. Hopefully now people will begin to recognize the talent.

May 17, 2002
It gets me kind of mad to see that they have that advantage of a major label, even though indapendent is the way to go, I think that a lot of bay rappers should be shining on MTV before they even got a video.

Apr 25, 2002
Baller B said:
Their material definitely doesn't sound like every other bay area release, so it will not be labeled as such. Gift of Gab spits intelligent, well thought out lyrics, unlike most other cats from the yay that only rap about guns, drugs, and bitches.
Word

But really I just wanted to reply to say that Gift of Gab probably got the tightest flow I've ever heard... I wasn't feelin their new album as much as the others though.

Apr 25, 2002
G-Dubb said:

Word

But really I just wanted to reply to say that Gift of Gab probably got the tightest flow I've ever heard... I wasn't feelin their new album as much as the others though.
what do you give it out of 10? what about they other ones

i'm lookin to pick up some ol different shit, i have enough gangsta shit for right now, maybe that will it

Apr 25, 2002
Blazing Arrow - 6.5/10
Nia - 9.5/10
A2G (EP) - 8/10
Melodica (EP) - 8/10

I personally liked Nia better than Melodica, but a lot of people I've talked to like Melodica better... You really can't go wrong with either though.

You can listen to a lot of clips at CDNow.com.

Apr 25, 2002
www.BallerSignMusic.com
Mezzano said:

what do you give it out of 10? what about they other ones

i'm lookin to pick up some ol different shit, i have enough gangsta shit for right now, maybe that will it
I give the new album, "Blazing Aarow" 8/10. It's consistently dope, but takes a little bit to get used to the production. It's really on some "other shit," but I've grown to like it quite a bit. Their last album, "Nia" is probably easier to get into if you're not familiar with their material. You can probably find the new album pretty cheap ($10 or less) at most stores...that's a steal.

You say you're looking for "some ol different shit"...well, if you haven't already, pick up both J-Live albums, both Dialated Peoples albums, the new DJ Babu album, and (if you're really looking for some different shit) the new Atmosphere "God Loves Ugly" album. Those are all quality releases, in my opinion.

May 13, 2002
Blazing Arrow gets a 9/10 on me scale... I knew that blackalicious would be able to cross game though into mainstream cuz he has this NEO soul type of underground Hip Hop to him with a sprinkle of oakland flavor and a dash of Jazz... but then there are also other fools who stand out from the dime a dozen type of gangsta rap... c'mon now... look at all the rappers nowadays comin from the east and the south, them niggas is a dime a dozen... especially all the south niggas... but i guess it does have a lot to do with maja labels...

May 20, 2002
www.myspace.com
Blackalicious have been puttin in work since I had my last album back in the early nineties. They was from Sacto and one of them was going to UCDavis or some shit like that. I performed with them at the Black Frats Step Show. I HIGHly respect them for keepin it goin. When I was in Tokyo last month, I noticed that they have a pretty good following WorldWide and not just in the states. I bought the new album and got the free single with the DVD in it. It's cool, but it's a little more relaxed for what I'm into now. I like the beats and lyrics. Kinda reminds me of something DeLaSoul would have done. But overall, I bump that shit, buy that shit, and love that shit, cause I like what they're doing and how their doing it. Much respect to Blackalicious and the whole QUANNUM family. RHYTHMX $ickWid'It Records 2k2

Apr 25, 2002
i never liked blackalicious untill this song...his voice annoys me most of the time...but it seems on this voice he doesn't do that whole Nasal Type Flow...but i don't like that he did a little subliminal diss towards 4-Tay in the new Source sayin if he woulda signed to 75 girls "we might have been doing songs with 4-Tay Now" what the fuck is that?