Basic studio setup question?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Mr. D-Sane

Sicc OG, muthafucka
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle
www.streetlevelrecords.com
WorldWide Music said:
Im tryna help my boy hook up his equipment.
He has a Hp pc computer, Roland xp-60, and a joemeek pre-amp, mic. Can he record like that? i think he has cool edit also. how doe he need to hook that up?
Ya'll need a decent soundcard for transferring audio in and out of the computer.

A mixer wouldn't hurt. 12-16 channels would be sufficient and it leaves room for expansion (for more stuff like keyboards and sounds modules).

Decent studio monitors (speakers). Computer speakers suck ass and house speakers will do the job....but I wouldn't recommend them.

Lastly.....you're gonna need some type of MIDI interface if you're going to be trying to make beats on the computer or do any type of syncing.

All of these things come in all shapes, sizes and prices. Best thing to do is decide what your budget is......and take a trip to Guitar Center. Tell them what you got....what you need....and how much you're workin' with.

You can get away with cuttin' a few corners for now by not gettin' these things and still do some decent recording.....just don't expect it to sound like some pro shit though.

Mar 23, 2003
www.unionavenueproject.com
If you only have one keyboard, you could get an Echo Layla. The older 20 bit version you can find on Ebay for pretty cheap, and it has MIDI in/out, 8 analog ins, and 10 analog outs. Basically, it is a PCI card you install into your computer and has an expansion box with the ins/outs. If you installed a pro sound card, you would have to go into the system BIOS and disable the onboard sound. This would probably work well for you and you could pick it up for about $150 - $200. Good luck homie.