BALANCE INTERVIEW ON ALLHIPHOP.COM

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 26, 2004
www.myspace.com
Yeah man dats whatsup. I metchu up at the record sto back in the Summer. I was wit my boy DJ Natural, we was walkin over to get some records from E-A. U remember dat dog ? Anywayz, u droppin some dope shit. Keep it up n rep this Bay thang wit that new real rhymer shit. Thats what we need out here.

Dec 20, 2003
The Bay Area has produced some fine hip hop artists. Rappers such as Too Short and E-40 make it a point to rep the Bay Area with every chance they get. But there’s a new breed of emcees coming out of the Bay, and Balance, a witty, true-school artist who champions the days of real hip-hop lyricism and trunk rattling beats, now leads the pack. Armed with his new mixtape, The Day Kali Died, Balance shows us that this new breed is all about new ways of doing business, new ways of making music, and new ways of getting on. Frustrated with being turned away by A&Rs looking for carbon copy Ja Rules and Kanye Wests, Balance has taken to the streets like his Bay Area predecessors did. The results thus far have been positive, but as Balance tells us, there is much more to come.

Dec 20, 2003
Allhiphop: How old are you?

Balance: I’m 24

Allhiphop:How many years have you been into hip hop?

Balance: Shit man, ever since I was like…I been rapping since I was in elementary school like freestyling and shit but first time I ever recorded was like a freshman in high school so I guess like 15. So I been doing it for like hella years, but like 10, for like real real, like actually getting behind a mic in a booth.

Allhiphop: Where are you originally from and where are you representing right now?

Balance: I’m from Oakland, California. I’m from the Bay, was born in the Bay, rep the Bay, West Coast, reppin the West Coast and the Bay.

Allhiphop: The Bay Area is known for its underground scene. How do you feel about the scene right now out there?

Balance: I feel like it’s still hard though. It’s still hard to get out. Because the independent scene is so big out here. It’s like if you don’t got no name and you a new cat, no matter how hot you are, it’s kind of hard to get put on. I sort of did the same thing that cats was doing in New York. It’s like, I love New York. I love New York rap. I love how they do the mix cds and stuff. I kind of followed that. Like, I hit up all the mix cds out here in the Bay Area. I ain’t got my name up, so it’s no different. The only difference from here and other places is that there’s so many artists with labels and shit trying to make cds and music. The independent game out here is so huge. Damn near ain’t nobody on no major labels out here.

Allhiphop: Are you planning to stay with the mixtapes, or do you have a label that you’re trying to create?

Balance: I created a label for myself just in order to put my own cd out. I feel like you gotta be self contained. You gotta be able to do it on your own if you got to. I actually started my own label just because I was gonna be releasing things like my mix cd and all this other stuff. So it’s like I wanted to have my business straight on that end.

Allhiphop: What’s the name of the label?

Balance: AYINDE music. Basically it’s just my middle name. I kept it simple. I ain’t really trying to be no super mogul. I ain’t really trying to be Dame Dash but I understand if I’ma be putting out something I may be the one who has to out it out myself. Dame Dash and all them, I just came from LA at a hip hop summit and they said it’s like “man you gotta put this stuff out yourself.” Jay-z got turned down by every label.

Allhiphop: Who are some of the artists, not just limited to the Bay Area, but in general, that you look up to and that you have looked up before?

Balance: Man, Rakim! Like, Rakim was probably the first dude. He was gangsta too. West coast dudes was really trippin off Rakim cause Rakim was so advanced lyrically, but at the same time when you seen him he looked gangsta. Of course NWA, Too Short, and even like, a lot of cats didn’t know, but like a lot of cats in the Bay were feelin Nas when he first came out. We was knocking Nas.

Allhiphop: You were on Sway and Tech’s “Wakeup Show.” How did your appearance come about and how long ago was it?

Balance: For me, as a rapper growing up it was certain things that I wanted to be on, and the “Wakeup Show” was one of them. It was like the “Wakeup Show” was where Nas, Ras Kass, all the dudes came from, Chino. I hooked up with them because I was in the Bay one day and cause Sway and Tech is from the Bay, so I met up with them and I was like, “Man, I wanna get on ya’ll show.” They was like, “cool.” I gave em a song. They listened to it. They was like, “Come out to LA.” So me and my boy Locksmith, we just drove out to LA and got down. That was like 2 years ago. But then I just went back during the all-star break. I hit em up again.

Allhiphop: How long have you had the new mixtape out?

Balance: For like 3 weeks man. And it’s like out here man, it’s selling out of all the little mom and pop stores. I don’t have no major distribution. So it’s pretty much me going and hustling myself.

Allhiphop: What’s your favorite song on the mixtape?

Balance: My favorite song on the mixtape is probably Hustler, just because it’s the most real. Like, I wrote it right after I had got sick of trying to talk to A&R’s and shit. I just got tired of looking in magazines and there would be no representation from where I was from. Like all the new dudes would never be from the Bay, and I was just fed up. I think that song is the most real as far as lyric-wise. I also talk about the fact that it’s a depression going on in the Bay Area as far as music and the rap game. It’s like, we in bad times. I really feel like they gotta start letting some new cats come out from the bay area or else it’s gonna be all bad. It ain’t no other time than now. We gotta come with some new shit, some hot shit. Like every time I tell somebody I’m from the Bay, they be like “The Bay?” like, “there ain’t nothing hot out there.” But it’s a lot. There’s hot shit everywhere. It’s just not being put on and showcased.

Allhiphop: What has the response from the people been? Do they agree with you about Hustler, or are they telling you that there are other songs they’re feeling more?

Balance: Overall, Hustler is probably the favorite. A lot of New York DJs like Absolut, Kool Kid, and Vlad put Hustler on their mix cds. And out here a lot of Cali cats love that shit too. Another one that’s been getting a big response is the “We Don’t Stunt.” It ain’t really a dis to 50, but it’s just saying out here in Cali, cats can’t really bling out here. It ain’t no dis. It’s just in hip hop fun. Like 50 will take joints and flip em. And we took his joint and flipped it and answered it how we feel. We got a movement out here called the New Bay. It’s basically like a new kind of sound for Bay Area emcees and we just kind of repped that over that track.

Allhiphop: So I know you said you were tired of going at A&R’s and getting their, I guess, “business talk,” now are any of these labels getting back at you because of the buzz you now have?

Balance: Yeah, it’s funny what a difference a day makes man. That’s the reason why I always tell people to treat people properly. Be courteous and cool with people. If you don’t like their music, say I’m not feelin it and this is the reason why. Don’t tell somebody to make a song like Ja Rule. Don’t tell somebody to make a song like Kanye West. Kanye West is hot now, so A&Rs wanna sign kanye West. They wanna sign a hundred Kanye Wests. It’s like, you’re late. But it’s funny because, ya’know, I tell all up and coming artists to create your own fan base, and once you create your own fan base then you represent money. Like, a label is in the business of making money. So therefore, if they see they can sell a certain number of units with you, then they’ll take you on. Now labels is hollering at me. I got calls from Def Jam, I got calls from Elektra. Labels be calling, but it’s still like I got a lot that I got planned for this summer and it’s like after them things go it’ll be all good. But even besides that, it’s like get the buzz on your own cause you can make a lot of money independently.

Allhiphop: If you were to sign to a label, what type of deal are you looking for? What type of direction would you like to go in if you did deal with a label?

Balance: The number one thing for me is to have a label that’s behind you like 150%. Because labels sign people all the time and they drop em. And number 2, I wanna still be able to do mix cds and stuff like that. Because that’s a part of the streets. The whole RIAA is coming down on everything so hard and labels may be scared of it. But it’s like mix cds is the best promotion. And the mix cds break records. And you gotta get the records to the street. But really, I’m just looking for a good deal. A good deal, whether it’s an artist deal. I would really like to work with a big producer. I’m willing to work and listen. I know I don’t know everything and I know I got room to grow. I wanna be four time doper than I am now. So basically I’m just looking for a good deal. If it comes, I mean, it will come. One thing I learned is that if you got your plan right, it’s not rocket science. It’s not rocket science why 50 got signed.It’s not rocket science why Fabolous got signed. It’s not rocket science why jay-z got signed. You gotta make your own fan base, and I’ma make that and then when the time comes it’ll be all good.

Allhiphop: Who are some artists that you’ve developed good relationships with over the years?

Balance: Probably my boy DJ Vlad, out in New York. A big heavy mixtape dude. He used to be in the Bay Area and he actually came up and asked me to do a freestyle for him a while back and he didn’t really have the buzz that he has. And that’s one reason I tell people to be courteous and respectful to people. Because it’s like, I had a bigger buzz than Vlad at that time. And I could have easily been like, “Naw homey, I ain’t doing your shit.” Look what happened. He got a bigger buzz than me, now he helps me out. And I was a hungry dude, so I was like, “Yeah homey, I’ll fuck with you.” I like the fact that you even asked me to do some shit. I got connections with E-A-Ski, which is a producer. He did some shit for Spice 1. He did a lot of shit in the South. On the low he got some beats that’s like killa. Working with him is like working with Dre out here. I’ve worked with Rick Rock. DJ Warrior, who just won the LA Mix CD award. That’s my dog. He holds me down. This year I’m gonna really go out and try networking with other people because the game is really about who you know too. So I’m gonna go travel down to New York and hang out.

Dec 20, 2003
Allhiphop: What angle do you feel you provide for the average hip hop listener? What direction are you coming from?

Balance: I’m basically like; the term I use is West Coast Hip Hop. It’s like I’m a child of Rakim and NWA at the same time. So I love both of them. I love hip hop. But I’m from Cali. So it’s something new. It ain’t really no West Coast hip hop going on right now in the way that I’m talking. Hip hop lyrics over gangsta beats. So that’s what I’m about. I’m really about lyrics and making sure what I say is right. I’m really trying to come with stories and concepts and shit. The name of my album I’m gonna drop is called The Day Kali Died. It’s like the whole thing behind that is, I think Cali died when Pac died. My whole album is gonna be like if you went to the video store and got a movie called The Day Kali died, that’s what it’s about. It’s basically about a hungry mc trying to come out Cali when it’s dead. I’m really trying to come with that shit that Ice Cube and them used to come with- concepts, albums. So basically, if you like hip hop lyrics, West Coast gangsta beats, fuck with me.

Allhiphop: In one word, just one word, what is someone gonna hear when they throw on a Balance CD?

Balance: Everything.

Allhiphop: Do you have any last things to say to the visitors of Allhiphop.com?

Balance: I just wanna say I put a lot of work into everything I do. Sometimes I record songs over and over. I put a lot of time into my projects. I don’t want people to get the wrong idea and think that since it’s a mix cd I’m just rapping over other people’s beats. 6 or 7 of the songs were songs I recorded for my album. I really want people to check out my website Balanceskillz.com. I want people to check that out and I want people to check out the mix cd. It’s West Coast hip hop. It’s dope music. I want people to get prepared. I’m trying to bring that West Coast shit back like when Death Row was making music. Like how people used to really anticipate an album.

www.balanceskillz.com