Avid Liquid 7? Rain i7?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 2, 2007
Is anyone familiar with this program? Have anything to say good or bad about it?

Rain i7 laptop? I'm looking to get a new computer for video editing and I know they're designed for music production but does anyone have any experience with it in video editing??

I've been looking at a Mac Book Pro and Final cut Version (??)...Just want to get any info that might be useful before I go a certain route.

Thanks.

Kayne

Sicc OG
Oct 8, 2005
www.myspace.com
if you got the money go with the macbook pro, its a super computer + final cut is industry standard. Just make sure u stuff it with 8gb ram, that goes for any computer you choose for video editing.

Kayne

Sicc OG
Oct 8, 2005
www.myspace.com
Macbook pro got the option of i7. It's a myth that u get a pc with more power to half the price, it's cheaper but not half. If you want a good manufacturer pc you got to pay up too, like sony, hp or what ever

Aug 29, 2006
www.teambrinkz.com
the i7 chips just dropped in macbook pro's, they been available in pc's for a long ass time now. so now you can get "THE SAME" performance for twice the price.

an i7 dell laptop (2.8ghz) 4mb ddr3 ram 17 inch screen right off the shelf @ best buy is $1399.00

I don't even see an i7 chip in a 17 inch monitor version at all on the mac site. so this is the best you can get right now from the site which is a slower processor/chip

and i5 macbook pro (2.3ghz) 4gb <--not sure what speed? ddr? ddr3? $2.299

the most comparable computer they have but it's actually slower, if they had the i7 chip in this machine it would cost double what the i7 in a laptop cost

with the slower chip it's $900 difference.....apples price jump on the 15 inch monitor is $200 to upgrade to the i7, which would be $1100 more in total that's about as close to twice the price as I think you can get? how is it not grossly overpriced?

I have owned mac's, several times, they are not faster or better at all, whoever told you that is marketing that bullshit to you, I actually used both computer types on a regular basis, i'm running a dell i7 with 8gb ddr3 ram right now. had it since january, runs absolutely flawless and fast as hell.

one problem alot of people have with pc's is they let them get dusty & overheat and that's causes alot of problems, blow the case out about once every 4 months and your pc will run flawless. laptop too.

and lets not even get into the desktop versions of mac's, they are more than twice the price of pc's, easily.

mac's a good for self contained units, looking good & being in style, they are not any better as a workhorse machine than a pc, they are far worse if you match them up in terms of pricing.

Kayne

Sicc OG
Oct 8, 2005
www.myspace.com
First of all that dell is a budget i7, 1.6GHz (with Turbo Boost up to 2.8GHz).. you know it to that it is. And I don't know the screen resolution? I bet it's shitty

Yes you are right in a way BUT i still think you get more in the macbook pro then the dell. Better screen, screen resolution, battery time(8-9 hours), trackpad, keyboard. If you bump this components up in the dell its gone be a bit more pricey. Especially to get the screen resolution (thats what cost the most), so half the price still a NO

Then you got the OSX vs Windows, thats not even a competition. IMO that is

I had macs too, I worked with macs in recording studios plenty to know for myself. Macs are more stable then Pcs, Im wrong?

Right now I got a 2 year old Dell xps 15", super good I'm a satisfied customer, I bought it with the best screen resolution at the time 1680*1050, I paid $1,900 for it tho, get my point?

27" Dell monitor alone $1,099.00 SR 2560 x 1440
27" iMac $1,999.00

you get desktop cheaper but still not half the price

Aug 29, 2006
www.teambrinkz.com
the dell i7 is far from a budget processor, you might wanna check the benchmark tests on that & get back to me...... do the research & hit me back on that. the mac doesn't outperform the pc

I honestly don't really feel like you know what your talking about, I process video on an i7 pretty much daily, and it's way faster than the top of the line 27 inch mac I used to have. over twice as fast as they quad core.

im telling you, put the machines side by side & perform the same task's the pc is going to win for less $$$

the other aspects your speaking on most people aren't really worried about. the macbook pro is a good machine, don't get me wrong, but if your looking to save money the pc can perform better at alot lower the cost was my whole point.

Kayne

Sicc OG
Oct 8, 2005
www.myspace.com
I dont know what processor you had in your 27", the once now got i7 2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 in them. U not gone perform twice to that. What Dell you got? You did write something but then you edited your post or did I just see it wrong?

You are right, you get as good performance or better for less money, but I'm not feeling that half price, or maybe I'm underrating the i7 in the Dell? My whole thing with this was not only the performance.

Most people who deal with graphics, video editing, music production, programing and gaming I think do care, about screen resolution at least. Don't you?

Aug 29, 2006
www.teambrinkz.com
the 27 inch mac I had was an i5, and yes I do think your underestimating the processor in the dell machine. I didn't say it performs twice as fast, I said it's "FASTER" for less money. the macbook pro which was the topic of this convo does not have the option of a 2.93, it has 2.66 i7... but I see your speaking in relation to the 27 inch imac

I literally encoded video files side by side on the mac 27 i5, and the dell i7, and the dell smoked that shit. easily. the i5 had 4gb ram, and the i7 had 8gb ram......

the 27 inch computer was over 2k.... the pc was right @ $1000.

also with a pc you get to upgrade alot cheaper, you can just get the machine with no monitor etc, where'as on a mac you can't do that, you have to upgrade everything all at once and be stuck with what you have.

do I care about screen resolution? sure, but your really playing yourself on that, because cheap monitors/setups now have that kinda resolution your speaking on, I got a 24 inch lg monitor right now that has 1920 x 1080 and it wasn't expensive at all. for $200 you can get the best resolution. so that's pretty irrelevant.

when I say half price you have to consider the dell machine has the resolution, has 8gb ddr3 memory already in it, has the i7 processor, etc.

I literally paid around 1,200 all together for my current i7 dell computer.

I also had bought a 27 inch imac, which to upgrade to the same specs it starts at 2k, then you upgrade the processor to i7 $200 more, upgrade to 8gb ddr memory add $400, and that equals $2600 right there......

that's str8 up dollar for dollar from the apple website right now, and I bought mine from best buy, go compare the 2.

half of $2600 is $1300..... i'm telling you right now I can go to best buy and buy some shit right off the shelf for the $1300 that performs exactly the same and/or better.

I can't comments on the new processor because I didn't have that one I had the i5. but the dell machine blew that shit out the water, I literally encode a full size movie file, the same exact file in under 10 minutes on my pc, and it took around 20 minutes on the 27 inch imac, it burns cds slow, and doesn't really run photoshop or any of my programs any faster, i tested it on purpose I was going to switch over because I liked the setup of it and how it's all once peice. but it literally was grossly overpriced & did not perform, as well as the screen kept flickering on the shit and when I took it back the guy says oh we get that all the time on these.

i've been trying to get someone to show me how mac is better and no one has shown any benchmarks or anything to prove otherwise.... the only thing I kept getting was it doesn't crash as much etc......

my windows 7 isn't crashing at all, I've had it since around january 1st of the year.

I literally work every single day on my machine, so trust me, if I could find something faster i'd be all on it..... i'd pay the more money for it, if it actually was faster or smoother, it's just not.

Kayne

Sicc OG
Oct 8, 2005
www.myspace.com
I process video on an i7 pretty much daily, and it's way faster than the top of the line 27 inch mac I used to have. over twice as fast as they quad core.
I been talking about the MBP all the time, I mentioned the iMac processor because you compared your to it.

I aint said that you can't buy a cheap monitor with a good screen resolution, I said you got to pay more to get it on a laptop, big difference and its relevant. You got a desktopright? If you want to compare desktops then you still have to bump your screen up to a 27" which gone cost you, I have not run this with best buy or any other site but my guess is about $500 more so a minimum of $700. The iMac is $2399 not $2600 and this is straight from their site,

27", i7 quad, 8gb
$2,399.00
6 or 12 month special financing options
Ships: 1-3 business days
Free Shipping
Like I said you are right about the performance. I agree that mac tend to be overpriced, I'm not gone say different but I still think you get alot for the money. Now THIS is irrelevant for the thread but dell are good and can be cheap but u wont never find a i.e sony for that price, I'm just saying ok.

Have you tried the CS5 on a Mac? I'm waiting to try that, because that is the first time adobe actually coded the whole software in cocoa, which might speed things up.

I been running windows 7 since the first beta came out, after that I got two copies from Microsoft, I think this is their best OS to date. I have had a few people say It's crashing but not for me it's been rock solid, except for now last 5 weeks I been getting blue screens. OSX is more solid and its always been like that. Don't get me wrong I'm not getting money from Apple, I'm actually a .NET developer so windows is my main platform.

You got benchmarks on that Dell from best buy? would love to compare to the MBP. What i7 you got?

Aug 29, 2006
www.teambrinkz.com
so all that you can come up with is that osx is more stable than windows 7?

your calculations of price were based on adding different memory setup, 2 4gb sticks is 400 extra that's where the extra $200 comes from

based on what? I have had zero issues with mine? the bottom line is anything you can get with a mac you can get a considerable amount cheaper with a pc, arguing over if it's twice as much is really pointless, it's still "ALOT" cheaper even if it's not exactly double.
even with "YOUR" calculations it's atleast $1000 more, they have 28 inch high resolution monitors right now @ tiger direct for $249.... you can't buy a 28 inch in best buy so that portion doesn't compare, they also don't have a 27 inch apple at best buy either you have to go to the apple store.

my processor is not turbo boosted, you can turbo boost it up to better than 3.2 ghz it's currently 2.8

I don't understand why people would just want to pay more for a computer when it's not needed, especially if they are on a budget.

the mac is just overpriced, if you want to break it down your way, go item for item store for store & post it up, you still will have spent way more money on the apple, anyway you look at it. and received nothing but a machine that is all in one, can't be updated, and I personally had screen glitches in my shit within ONE WEEK of ownership. I have owned macbook pro's that I haven't had as much issue with, but they just are not better, I have used both several times over & over and spending the money was pointless in every single scenario.