Automakers shedding CD Players

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

HIM

Sicc OG
Sep 27, 2002
View attachment 107769

By msnbc.com news services

CD players in cars look set to go the same way as the dodo bird, according to a report in industry trade publication Automotive News.

With content and computing power migrating to smartphones, which can now channel music, navigation and other applications to relatively simple and low-cost onboard infotainment systems, CD players are becoming increasingly irrelevant in cars, the report says.

Automakers also want to get rid of optical drives -- that is, CD or DVD players -- because they are expensive and appeal mainly to older motorists, according to the report.

Indeed, the 2013 Chevrolet Sonic RS, which debuted this week at the Detroit auto show and will go on sale in the United States this summer features an optional MyLink infotainment system that lets motorists make hands-free phone calls, listen to MP3 music and get route guidance by linking their smartphones to the vehicle's infotainment system. But no CD player, Automotive News said.

“We asked potential Sonic and Spark customers what they were looking for in infotainment,” Sara LeBlanc, MyLink's global infotainment program manager, told Automotive News. “They were very worried about cost. They said to us: ‘Get rid of the CD player. We don’t use it.’”
http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/10/10096404-automakers-shedding-cd-players

Apr 26, 2003
East Oakland, USA
I think the last car you could get with a tape deck was the 09 SC430...But CDs are fading quick, eventually there will just be a small slot for your phone/mp3/navigation/fastrak/credit card/everything else device...

Apr 16, 2003
google.com
CD's are a waste of space unless you're handing out promo material. (which is changing fast with the use of mobile phones / qr codes / social networking etc) I haven't gone to a music store to purchase a CD in years.

HIM

Sicc OG
Sep 27, 2002
CD's are a waste of space unless you're handing out promo material. (which is changing fast with the use of mobile phones / qr codes / social networking etc) I haven't gone to a music store to purchase a CD in years.
Music store? Those still exists? Nah, but Im serious...I have been to a mom & pop type underground store within the past two years to buy a local artists CD, but that was AFTER I couldnt find a free download link online...

May 1, 2002
an mp3 file will never sound as good as a CD unless its WAV format or like an lossless file, which takes up too much space.....but then a vinyl record sounds better than a CD