ATTEN: Y'ALL

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 29, 2002
i'm currently tying up the lose ends w/ the new website; we will have a section containing all the old links to online artciles, etc. there may be some y'all as fans are awaure of that i haven't covered. could y'all post up your links to any x-raided material?

by this we don't need personal profiles, reviews, etc, but actual interviews & artciles is what we are looking for...

good looking out, y'all.

Feb 5, 2005
X-RAIDED ARTICLE

HEREz 1 ARTICLE :

LINK :

http://www.seattleweekly.com/features/0105/slanguistics-caramanica.shtml

Jailhouse rap
BY JON CARAMANICA

Anerae Brown is one of hip-hop's least-known, most unlikely prolific MCs. Since 1992, Brown--whose nom de rap is X-Raided (or, at times, Nefarious)--has released no fewer than five solo albums on tiny Bay Area indie stalwart Black Market Records, including the recent Vengeance Is Mine. X-Raided is a clever MC, one who updates traditional gangster tales with a healthy dose of reflection. Over the years, his flow has evolved from gruff and bumpy to downright intricate and sometimes tongue-twisting. And his imagery, once trite and unexceptional, is now lucid and well drawn.

One catch: Brown is behind bars and has been since 1992, when he was jailed for participating in the murder of Patricia Harris, the mother of a rival gang member. At the time, the 17-year-old Brown was banging with the Garden Block Crips, and the murder was part of a home invasion gone wrong. In court, the alleged triggerman was acquitted, while Brown and two other accomplices were found guilty.

Part of the state's case against Brown was his lyrics. Just prior to his arrest, Brown had released his first album as X-Raided, Psycho Active. Prosecutors found what they believed were lyrics referring to the alleged murder on the song "Still Shooting": "I'm killing mamas, daddys, and nephews/I'm killing sons, daughters/And sparing you." Interviewed at the time, Brown protested that the lyrics were taken out of context. Indeed, that section of the song refers to the aftermath of a domestic dispute, not a gang rivalry, but the prosecutor later told The Source that he introduced them to demonstrate "Mr. Brown's possible association with gangs and the spirit of gang mentality."

Violation of the First Amendment or not, the use of Brown's lyrics helped to convict him in 1996, resulting in a 31-year sentence. Yet just before the conviction was handed down, out came another X-Raided album, Xorcist. While awaiting the result of his trial, Brown had been busily penning songs. Sensing, no doubt, that his freedom was about to be snatched away from him, he worked the prison's pay phone system to his advantage, holding one phone playing the beat up to his ear and rapping into a second phone. The result is far from polished, but it was as true a document of life behind bars as any Lomax-documented prison toasting.

The X-Raided tale got only more bizarre last year, when his third album, The Unforgiven Vol. 1, was released. Not a fuzzy affair like its predecessor, this album featured stunningly clear vocals that baffled prison authorities, as did the declaration on the album's back cover: "All of the recordings contained on this CD were made between 12.1.98 and 2.15.99," dates Brown was clearly incarcerated. It was later discovered that a prison guard, Roy Castro, helped smuggle recording equipment to Brown, but that was only the beginning of the controversy. Soon after word of the album's completion made it back to prison inmates, a gang war erupted. Brown was attacked and had to be placed in protective custody. Meanwhile, Brown, now a convicted felon, could be sued under California's "Son of Sam" laws to prevent him from profiting from his notoriety. Nowhere on the album, however, nor on his subsequent ones, does Brown make any specific reference to the crime for which he is imprisoned. If anything, these latest records show a more reflective, more aware X-Raided. Granted, these albums aren't documents of prison self-discovery like Eldridge Cleaver's book Soul on Ice, but they're legitimate artistic expressions. On "Write What I See," from Brown's latest album (also drawn from those illicit recording sessions), he practically trips over his own tongue trying to spill his vision, eventually asking in defeat, "What the hell am I supposed to write?/How can I compose nice/When I'm sitting in this cell?"

The next track, "Hold On (What a Thug to Do)," takes Brown on a psychological roller coaster from naive, hopeful youth--"Fuck Good Times, I want some of that Cosby shit/Four-bedroom home, white trim with green/I'd be a doctor, regular American dream"--to the fall from grace--"I thought it would be easy/I was mistaken. . . . I went to the pen instead of college"--to penitence--"I made my bed, but it's too hard to be laying in it/Fighting the drama but for some reason I'm staying in it." It's all sealed on the haunting hook, in which Brown groans, Tupac-style, "On the inside I've been dead for years," and at song's end, where he pleads, "Mama, excuse my behavior, please/Feel like my soul's gone/Pray for your only son/Need you to be strong."

Certainly, not all of Vengeance Is Mine taps the pain well so profoundly, but give Brown credit for not sensationalizing his most unseemly predicament. Whether he'll be allowed to profit from his recordings is now in the hands of the California courts, which are also considering the constitutionality of the "Son of Sam" law itself. In the meantime, Brown claims to have over 100 songs recorded, waiting for release.

Feb 5, 2005
X-RAIDED LETTER FRUM LOQDOWN

LINK :

http://www.hiphopslam.com/news/2003/hhs_news_service_013.html

X-Raided's Letter from Lockdown: Which Man is Really "Free"?
by Anerae Brown (a.k.a. X-Raided)

Written: May 22 / Received: June 5—

Salutations, my friend.

"Indeed, I've also noticed the delay with which my letters exit the prison and get to you and others I write. Lately I've even taken to writing the date of which I place my letters in the "mailbox" on the envelopes below my address. I keep from being angered and frustrated by remembering to see the irony of it all: These people, having reduced all of us (inmates) to a level, in their minds of sub-human, often fail to realize the impact of their ineffective execution of their "jobs." (On the inmates, that is.) It has been my experience that my life is viewed, via my mail, like some sort of "reality entertainment." Some idiotic (prison) officers, not realizing that I view it as a childish disrespect (unintentional, but disrespect nonetheless), will actually comment on the subject of one of my letters, photographs, or a phone call they monitored: "So, Brown, what do you think about..." they'll ask, as if I don't understand the question's genesis. Regardless, I get a laugh out of it when I realize that certain aspects of my life are more interesting and exciting then these "free" men. It's pathetic. Really. "

Feb 5, 2005
X-RAIDED ARTICLE

LINK :

http://www.calweb.com/kxtv10/news-story/November2000/112200/reg112200.htm

Inmate Releases Rap Album
(Sacramento-AP) -- A rap album has been released that was made by an inmate behind bars for his role in the murder of a Sacramento grandmother.

The album by Anerae Brown has angered the family of Patricia Harris, the woman killed when Brown and friends stormed into her home eight years ago.

The album was released yesterday.

Brown has denied that the recordings were made recently, but jail officials have launched an investigation into the album.

They think previous records were recording on a digital recorder and then smuggled out of the jail.

A lawsuit filed by Attorney General Bill Lockyer aims to keep Brown from profiting from the albums. That court action has been held up pending a court hearing on a similar case by the state Supreme Court.

Feb 5, 2005
X-RAIDED ARTICLE

LINK :

http://www.allhiphop.com/hiphopnews/?ID=1392

Rapper X-Raided, who is serving a 31 year prison term for murder, is saving the proceeds from his albums in an attempt to hire attorney Johnny Cochran.

X-Raided, born Anerae Brown, was convicted of shooting community activist Patricia Harris, 42, in March of 1992, after he and fellow gang members allegedly stormed her house seeking rivals. X-Raided was one of the first rappers in the world to have his lyrics used against him in court.

X-Raided has recorded 10 albums behind bars over telephone lines. The combined sales of his albums have sold over 300,000 copies and hopes that his earnings can help hire Johnny Cochran.

"Money speeds up everything," X-Raided told the Los Angeles Times. "I want my albums to make enough to pay Johnnie Cochran or an affiliate of his to help me. I just need to get my music out there. I'll be the biggest story in hip-hop."

X-Raided's mother is the CEO of his Madman Records, while X-Raided takes the title of consultant. This was done due to the California Attorney General's office atempting to sue X-Raided. Under the Son Of Sam law, the Attorney General wanted to seize the profits made by his recordings and set them aside for the victim's family.

X-Raided's releases have drawn controversy over the years and the rapper has often been accused of commiting murder to promote his career. X-Raided maintains that he was there when Harris was murdered, but that he was not the triggerman.

"I felt like the world was after me, because at first the judge was not going to allow the evidence to be used, but the district attorney, he found ways to get stuff into the trial," he told the Sacramento Bee after his trial.

Mar 15, 2005
here ya go loki....

http://www.heckler.com/articles/heckler_3/xraid.html

i happened to run into this article/interview the other day and i found it interesting cuz it was in a skateboard magazine for one.....plus it was written by someone who personally knew X prior to his arrest and it was only 2 years after.....readin this old one now is a trip knowin how much X has done since and even more so wit the possibility of his release.....

hope it helps.....

CcytzO Loc

Mar 15, 2005
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]November l6, 1993 The last time I saw X-Raided was when he came into Enharmonik to do the CD master for his CD on Black Market Records,Psychoactive. Three days later, he was arrested for the murder of Patricia Harris, in what the media portrayed as a Gangland slaying gone wrong. A case of mistaken identity. Patricia Harris was the mother of four. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]That was almost two years ago and today I'm a little nervous going to visit X-raided at the county jail down at fifth and I streets. Besides being arrested a few times when I was a kid for draining swimming pools and skimboarding, I haven't been near the jail in 10 years. Actually, when I was arrested for draining pools, I was about the same age as X-raided was when he was arrested. Seventeen.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I first met X-Raided when he came into the studio to work on his album. He wasn't signed to a label yet, and Kevin Mann (now known as the Brotha' Lynch) was producing the record. I knew X by his real name, Anerae Brown Although he seemed like he might be the kind of kid who could get into trouble, he was never any trouble around the studio. All the engineers including myself got along well with him and liked him. We generally felt that X was an OK guy, and he treated us with respect and went about his work at the studio. Over the course of that year I had some: interesting conversations; with him, including one where he was discussing how he couldn't walk into Florin Mall without being hassled by the security guards. I remember another time, when I had to ask him to put a gun away that he was using for a sound effect, and he did, and he didn't give me any grief about it. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I checked out OK with the guard, and he sent me up to the 8th floor. While the jail is pretty big, the public or visitor area is no more than a small hallway which connects to a small visiting room, about 20 by 6, with steel benches, thick glass, and two way telephones to talk. After a few minutes, X came up the stairs and we started talking on the phones. He seemed glad to see me, and once we started talking, all my nervousness dissapeared It was like we were back in the studio shooting the shit while Lynch tweaked a sample or some thing. But it wasn't I would be able to get up and leave, while X wasn't going anywhere soon. Nonetheless, it was good to see him, and I think we both enjoyed the conversation. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]After a few minutes, I told X that I wanted to do an interview for Heckler and he agreed. I wanted to find out how he felt about how things turned out, and how he was holding up in jail I was curious about aLL the hype the local media like the TV stations; the Bee and the SN & R. had made about the line "I'm killin' mamas, daddys and nephews, " from X's CD. They claimed that the DA was going to prosecute a premeditated murder charge because of the lyric. "Bullshit," said X. "That shit didn't come up once in court. They didn't even mention my tape once." [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]As X put it, "If you're with three nobodies and you're a somebody, and something goes down, who do you think they're going to blame? If Ice Cube and three nobodies are in a shooting, who do you think's going to.take the rap?" While X still has his rough side, he's grown up and matured quite a bit over the last two years. He was on the 8th floor instead of the 6th, because he had gotten in a fight a couple of weeks ago with another inmate. But X realizes his mistakes too. One of the first things he said to me in a slightly embarrassed tone was "I guess I fucked up, huh?" [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I asked X if he regretted how things turned out and he replied "Hell yes, If I had it to do a11 over again, I'd do it a lot different. My advice to young rappers starting out is pay attention to the music and the rhymes, 'cause that's the most important thing." X's debut, Psychoactive is still available in record stores and is a strong and confident debut. It's a hard edged record, and X's slow, laid back and almost non chalant delivery makes it even more chilling. Re-writ ing the present based on suppositions on how things might be different if other things in the past hadn't happened has little profit if any, but you can't help but wonder where X would be now if he hadn't ended up in jail. His second album would have almost certainly been even stronger than the first, and would have probably done real well. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]X however, has grown up and learned a lot in the meantime. While he realizes that he fucked up and is having to pay for it he's optimistic about the future and plans to use his time in jail constructively and make plans for his release. X is 19 now and hopes to get out by the time he's 25. X's final sentencing is in early December and he's looking forward to being transferred to either Folsom or Solano prison. He wants to get his AA degree while he's in prison and he plans on getting a job inside prison too. He said he wants any kind of job where he uses his body and stays in shape. He's been playing a lot of basketball too. He's excited about the possibility of transferring to Solano where they have a l6-track studio, but would also like to be in Folsom where he can be closer to family and friends. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]X is proud of Brother Lynch's success and thinks that Lynch's brother, Triple 6 is going to bust out soon too. He feels protective towards Lynch, and wants to see him do well and not make the same mistakes he made. X is obviously eager to get out of prison, so he can get back to rappin himself. In the meantime, he is encouraged by the support and love he gets from his family and friends and also wanted to thank Cedric Singleton and Black Market Records for the help and continued support. X raided has made some big mistakes in his life and he realizes it. It's hard for me to make excuses for what he did or didn't do, so I won't. It's not my place. I do however like him as a person. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The last time I saw X in my studio he was a young kid. The next time I see him, he'll be a man. I wish him well over the next 6 or so years, and I hope he accomplishes his goals. for himself while he's in prison. And even more importantly, when he gets out I hope he grows into the young man he never got a chance to be, but that I think he could've been. Peace and good luck Anerae. [/font]

Feb 5, 2005

EDIT :

209 BEAT ME 2 IT BY A FEW SECONDz..... LOL

DAT WAz 1 OF DA 1ST ARTICLEz I READ ON X A LONG TIME AGO....

DONT KNO IF U CAN CALL THIS AN ARTICLE OR AN INTERVIEW, BUT IT WAz A RESPONSE FRUM X BOUT DA RUMOR OF HIM "BEING DEAD" :

LINK : http://www.allhiphop.com/rumors/?ID=94

Sunday, October 20, 2002
Well, well...we got to the bottom of this fast enough. The Homey Carlos sent this regarding incarcerated rap legend X-Raided being dead:

"let me get all of this shit cleared up. i just got off the phone with c-lim (who knows x-raided), and he said all of thatz just a lie, and that he was talkin with x-raided today (oct. 18th) while he was gettin his hair curled. so its all not true, and X-RAIDED IS ALIVE !"

Well that's a good thing.

Mar 15, 2005
GeeZus said:
LINK :

http://www.hiphopslam.com/news/2003/hhs_news_service_013.html

X-Raided's Letter from Lockdown: Which Man is Really "Free"?
by Anerae Brown (a.k.a. X-Raided)

Written: May 22 / Received: June 5—

Salutations, my friend.

"Indeed, I've also noticed the delay with which my letters exit the prison and get to you and others I write. Lately I've even taken to writing the date of which I place my letters in the "mailbox" on the envelopes below my address. I keep from being angered and frustrated by remembering to see the irony of it all: These people, having reduced all of us (inmates) to a level, in their minds of sub-human, often fail to realize the impact of their ineffective execution of their "jobs." (On the inmates, that is.) It has been my experience that my life is viewed, via my mail, like some sort of "reality entertainment." Some idiotic (prison) officers, not realizing that I view it as a childish disrespect (unintentional, but disrespect nonetheless), will actually comment on the subject of one of my letters, photographs, or a phone call they monitored: "So, Brown, what do you think about..." they'll ask, as if I don't understand the question's genesis. Regardless, I get a laugh out of it when I realize that certain aspects of my life are more interesting and exciting then these "free" men. It's pathetic. Really. "

damn thas some good shit right there.....i never seen that....readin that alone makes you crave the book hes writing.....X is a great writer!

Feb 5, 2005
^^^ REAL TAWK...

HE ON ANUTHA LEVEL ON ALL ANGLEz AN ERYTIME I READ SUMTHIN WIT DIRECT QUOTEz FRUM HIM I NEVA LOSE INTEREST....

IM WAIT'N ON HIz BOOK FASHO.....

ON DAT NOTE, LEMME STEAL DIS FRUM YO SIG RIGHT FAST...

Feb 5, 2005
loki said:
jesus, geezus, you got a lot of links...
FASHO MAYN......

I BEEN AN X FAN FRUM DA GET, SO NUTH'N REALLY COMEz OUT BOUT X DAT I DONT STAY UP ON.....

ITz NUTH'N...

IM SURPRISED NOBODY ELSE POST'D NUTH'N YET THO CUz ALOT OF PPL DROP'D SUM X ARTICLEz N HERE BEFO.....

IF DONT NOBODY GOT NUTH'N ELSE ON HIM I'LL DROP SUMMO ON HIM....

-GEEzUz

Feb 5, 2005
X-RAIDED ARTICLE

LINK :http://www.daveyd.com/FullArticles\articleN631.asp

While ODB is baffling law enforcement officials in New York, its nothing compared to the ruckus caused here in Cali, by Anarae Brown who is better known as X-Raided. Yesterday his much anticipated fourth album 'Vengeance Is Mine' was released and has more then a few folks up in arms. He's definitely given new meaning to the word 'controversy'. For folks who don't know, X-raided is serving a 31 year sentence for the murder of a grandmother who lived near Sacramento. Back in '91 he and other gang members stormed the home of Patricia Harris which resulted in her in her being fatally shot. X-Raided till this day maintains that he was present but did not pull the trigger..

Now in '92 X-raided's first album 'Pyscho Active' was released while he was in jail. It was considered by many to be the 'hardest rap album' to ever come out. X-Raided came under fire for two reasons. First, there was talk that some of the songs actually referred back to the murder. Second, police maintained that the gun which he had pointed to his head on the album cover was the actual murder weapon.

There was a controversial follow up album in '95 called 'Xorcist'. Here X-raided caused a stir because the album was recorded while he was behind bars. Although its not that unusual to have that happen now, back then it was. Up to that point, only fellow Cali rapper Mac Dre and a number of inmates in Rahway Prison in New Jersey, known as the Lifers had recorded albums while behind bars. In the case of the Lifers, permission was granted by correction officials and a recording studio was actually built inside the prison. It was sanctioned because the subject matter focused around the Rahway inmates warning listeners about the harshness of jail life. Their goal was to get people to stay away from prison. The landmark album was a warning. In the case of Mac Dre, no permission was given as he wound up recording his album over the phone. It was the same situation with X-Raided as the 'Xorcist' was also recorded over the phone.

Last year X-Raided recorded his 3rd album behind bars called 'Unforgiven'. It set off all types of alarms. The first issue was the album cover. It pictured him on the cover without his standard prison garb. Prison officials wanted to know when the picture was taken and how it was allowed without him wearing standard attire.. The second alarm went off when folks listened to the album and discovered that X-Raided's lyrics were crystal clear. There was no echo or static noises which are usually associated with songs recorded behind bars. This raised a lot of suspicions. Prison officials wanted to know how he managed to pull this off. They weren't sure if Black Market records, X-Raided's label was using previously recorded material or were they employing new technology that could enhance his voice. Officials wanted to know if X-Raided left the facilities to record the album. Executives at Black Market were put under the gun by Cali prison officials as high ranking lawmakers were livid.

Around the same time while all this drama was swirling around, X-Raided started stirring up the pot within the music industry. He sent off a well publicized stinging letter that blasted The Source Magazine. He took them to task for giving his album a low rating. The album was well received and one of the most popular albums in Cali last year. In his letter X-Raided accused the Source of being hypocritical. He noted that the editors thought he had good rhyme skills and nice beats but were upset with his subject matter which dealt with gangsta life. X-Raided pointed out that The Source gave high marks to artists like Jay-Z and DMX who rap about street life. In DMX's case he had a song about raping a 15 year old. X-Raided questioned why DMX got 4 mics with such violent material. He also questioned the Source's objectivity due to the fact that Master P and his No Limit roster of artist who are known for 'gangsta' lyrics, spent thousand of dollars on advertisements and never got a low rating. He raised the question as to whether or not the Source was being paid off for their reviews.. To read a copy of that letter go here: http://www.daveyd.com/fnvjuly21.html . X-Raided's letter drew praises from all sorts of artists who were frustrated with The Source. They felt he clearly echoed their sentiments. X-Raided ended is letter by declaring war in 2000.

A year and a half later X-Raided is back in the news with the release of his 4th album 'Vengeance Is Mine'. Released yesterday [Nov 21 2000], this is his 3rd album recorded while behind bars. As was the case with 'Unforgiven' prison officials are again questioning how and where it was recorded. Some of the material is crystal clear while on other songs you can hear a faint echo in the back ground indicating it was recorded over phone lines. Thus far the mystery behind how he recorded his last album is pointing to a correctional officer who has been terminated. Officials are saying that X-Raided confessed to an officer sneaking in a miniature recording device for him to use. X-Raided's producers at the label have not commented on this.. The profits from the sale of the last album which is close to a quarter of a million dollars is being held up in court. Black Market is currently involved in a lawsuit with the state attorney general.

The people who are most upset is the family of the victim..They have maintained that the release of this latest album does nothing but bring back painful memories..In a recent interview with a local news station, Willie Harris the husband of Patricia Harris said he did not want to do anything in aiding X-raided or his label make money..One thing is for sure, 'Vengeance is Mine' is sure to sell well.

Feb 5, 2005

LINK : http://www.hoodvoice.com/arch1994_excerpt.htm

Sacramento County courts decided to try Anarae Brown, Roosevelt Coleman III, Christopher McKinnie and Maurice Procter as adults in the murder of "Patty" Harris — a wife and mother of five. Back in mid- March, 1992, at least four people kicked in the front door of the Harris’ home on Manorside Drive in the Meadowview area. Court transcripts indicated that someone yelled, "Sacramento Police Gang Task Force," then fired twice at Mrs. Harris, hitting her once in the chest.