AS PROMISED - XPANTHER206 Review of CRYTICAL "CRYTICAL CONDITION"

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
Mr. D-Sane and Crytical it took me a while but I wanted to soak it all very thoroughly and I was busy with school ending and all that shit. Anyway I know you hear lots and lots of people's opinions of your music but the reason I want to write this is not because you care but because after annoying the shit out of you with my impatient ass for much of the duration of the project, I feel obligated to provide detailed, well-thought-out feedback now that the day I never thought I'd see has come and gone.

01) Intro 5/5
D-Sane "Master of the Intro" I was really really curious to see what you'd come up with. After outstanding intros on Syko and Byrdie's albums and intros I wasn't impressed with as much on the 3 June 2003 albums, and really no Intro on the Lac album, I was glad to see that you and Skunt did one on this album. The beat is really really smooth-chill, someone said they thought Techno at first, I definitely didn't. Skunt did a great great job on the beat, shows his production skills are really evolving nicely. I like the effect that the chill beat, Crytical ripping the chorus and Crytical talking about what the album is about all at the same time creates. Great job on this Intro.

02) Open Fire 5/5
Newer beat, definitely has a different feel than the old one (which I really hope you post up on the SLR page b/c that banged too!), the baseline seems like it goes from low-pitched to high-pitched when the old one went from high-pitched to low-pitched (but I could be wrong, I'm not really a musically trained person). The chorus on this song is its strength, I think the gunshots work really really well with this song when gunshots often kind of musically fuck up the song (i.e. 2Pac & Bone - Thug Luv, they overdo it). I also love the "city where it rizains" part of the chorus, that sounds tight.

03) My Troubled Life 5/5
I'd obviously heard the full-version on the RDR Compilation, I had my doubts about the new beat but after soaking it for 2 weeks, I like this version better than the older one. The bass-line has kind of a buzz-electric vibe to it. The lyrical content of this song is very very impressive, how Crytical can mold his life story into great music. This song just kind of rolls along like a Hummer or Escalade on the freeway, I can't wait to bump it on a dark day in the 6 rollin up I-5.

04) Desperate 5/5
The first Crytical track I ever LOVED, I bumped this snippet from the 2003 Summer Sampler so many times. Back then it was Wanz's singing that really made me love it. That's still true but Crytical really raps with a perfect pace on this song, he just rides the beat along beautifully. It's a mob track but the lyrics are still intelligent. Wanz's singing was outstanding, I was surprised that the first Wanz verse was a little different from the 2nd and 3rd, that surprised me a little but I liked it. I also like the intro to this song, the guy walking along MLK but rather than creating a boring 10 or 15 seconds that I would've used mp3trim to cut (as I do a lot of other intros like this), you make that scene musical with the humming in the background and bassline coming in. It just makes the listener able to visualize the scene you're trying to create even more. Great fuckin track.

05) I Can't Take It No More 5/5
This snippet from the 2003 Summer Sampler evolved to be my favorite (probably from playing out Desperate) because the beat is hard, dark, grimy, rugged and Crytical raps so fast with the beat that his voice literally sounds like a machine gun (especially in the first verse). Dread does a good job on the chorus but unfortunately I was a little disappointed with his verse. Still this track bangs hard, this is the pre-game track right here, get you pumped up.

06) The Sun Doesn't Shine 5/5
This beat stands out from much of the rest of the album because it is a little 'happier' a little more upbeat. It reminds me of the beat you posted a while ago you called "Drop Top II." I heard a song out of Minneapolis a couple weeks ago that uses this Brothers Johnson "Strawberry Letter 23" sample that I loved, it's a good sample. I also absolutely love the Seattle street anthem style to this, hearing music with pride in the city gives you pride in the city. The best verse was C.O.L.A.'s that starts at 1:24 and ends at 2:10. C.O.L.A.'s got lots of city pride lines in there and his voice sounds really unique, complements Crytical really well. I also liked the use of the Twin-G ("From") line that was used on Twin's album. Overall this is just a great track reppin the 206, it's good to hear that Crytical has a lot of pride in that and isn't some fuckin pussy ass no-pride-having wannabe Cali or NY or wherever cat. I hate people like that.

07) Halfway Sane 5/5
This track right here really separates Crytical from other really fast hard hitting rappers because he showcases his singing ability. He's not as smooth as Nate Dogg obviously but he really is pretty damn good at it, much better than Byrdie who's really the only other SLR rapper I can remember that had the ability to sing-rap. The beat sounds like some 70s funk sped up with a bassline, like some Vandross or Pendergrass shit. This is definitely a sunny day type of track, it's happy, optimistic and smooth.

08) Matter of Time *6/5
OH MY GOD. That's all I can say, this track blew me away right off the bat. I had heard a few people (like Evilwayz) who had the album before me tell me this was there favorite track so I was definitely curious/anxious/excited to hear this track. This was also the first track after the Intro that I'd never heard a snippet of before, so I really had no idea what was coming I just knew that it might well be hotter than lava. Man right off the bat this track hits you hard with the beat thumping right off the bat and Crytical's line "First off I represent Street Level, the record label known for bringing heat to the table" he inflectuates his voice really really well on the word "heat" in that verse. So I was loving this song in Crytical's first verse then oh my god here comes the chorus. Crytical again inflectuates his voice pitch creating just an amazing effect, you wonder how a human being can even make that sound so fast like that. "Hotter than lava" is really the perfect description, that is what it sounds like how he makes his voice high like that then follows it with the lower "I'm from SEATTLE when Atlanta looking way too hot but stay ridin, stay grindin its just a matter of time." I wasn't believing my ears at that point, then Skunt comes in with his voice sounding gritty and grimy compared to the smooth Crytical. His voice is great on this track. This beat is so deep, I actually have trouble listening to it on my iPod and portable CD player. Too much bass, too much power. But on a decent system this track sounds so amazing. With the few people I've introduced to Crytical since the CD arrived, this has been the track I've played first. Now these people didn't necessarily love it for various reasons (mostly excuses like 'too much just yelling out Seattle'), they cannot deny that that track GOT THEIR ATTENTION because that is exactly what it does. Thinking back to the BBQ at Sand Point when I met D-Sane and Crytical and saw the brief little performance, I vaguely remember a song that Crytical performed that I'd never heard before and was just straight fuckin fire, and I think it might have been "Matter of Time." Now a year later, I've got the real version and it is simply amazing.

09) I Can't Stop 4/5
A track that would definitely be the standout track on most NW rap albums, actually my least favorite track thus far. That's how much depth the album has. The little guitar thing sounds Asian, makes me think of some Kung Fu movies or something. Not one of my favorite tracks but like I said, it would stand out on the vast majority of rap albums out there nationally and in the 206.

Apr 25, 2002
10) Crytical Condition 5/5
The title track, I absolutely loved the intro to this cut with the bassline hitting you and the sirens coming in. Makes me think of hundreds of ambulances going through the city picking people up. I think this beat is really improved from the 2003 Summer Sampler version, the percussion instrument is much much stronger, as is the bassline. Chorus is great, especially the part where his voice changes from high to deep at "when I'm out on the block with the 4-5 cocked."

11) Life of a Rider 5/5
Beat is simply beautifully, it's heavy and smooth at the same time. Has a definite rainy day feel to it and I think you'd agree with the Thunder Claps you inserted into it. Killa Tay's verse is alright but I'm not a huge fan of his, a little out of control but you know, that's how they rap it in Northern Cali. Tay's mediocre verse is immediatley erased when Crytical comes in with the incredibly rapid chorus and verse. "I'm Crytical boy, I'm raised in the Six, where niggaz get drenched" is a hot line, I like the use of the word "drenched" throughout this album, great fuckin verb to use being from the S-E-A. Then my favorite part of the song is the segway from Crytical's lightning speed chorus to the calm, deliberate 151's verse. Those two styles clashing at that exact moment is awesome. 151's verse is smooth and solid, his voice sounds so good over a D-Sane beat. The only thing I didn't like about it was the "balling like Bibby" part, I heard that and was like 'fuck that man' especially because when this CD arrived in my mailbox the Sonics were still in battle with the Queens. Since they disposed of them, that line hasn't bothered me as much. Amazing track, also one that I had never heard even a snippet of before so it came off new and fresh.

12) The Funk Iz On (Remix) 5/5
Skunt's voice sounds so murky and so raw over this beat, he was the perfect guy to throw on there. I really like the bassline and the percussion instrument used, it sounds so deep, so clean. Another drive down I-5 on a dark rainy day in November cut. The duel-rapper chorus style is used again on this track as it is on many other tracks on the album, and like the other ones, it works great, with the two rapper's styles complementing each other. It's almost like they're standing next to each other dueling or something. Skunt's final verse showed something I'd never really seen out of him before, as he goes into a little bit of a singing voice and also rhymed the same sound about 15 times which always sounds tight.

13) Take This Flight 5/5
Like a lot of people, I'd bumped this track for about a year up to this point because it was on the Reigncraft Volume 3 Compilation. Obviously I loved it but wasn't as excited to hear this one just because I'd heard it so many times. However, I do sense a subtle difference between the two versions, I think the album version's percussion instrument is slightly stronger, slightly cleaner than the Reigncraft Version. It sounds really really good. You know an SLR album is going to have a weed smoking anthem (and Crytical promises it in the Intro). I always think that maybe this is one topic genre the Northwest rap scene does have tremendous potential in as we are known for our green and people listening in other parts of the country are not going to immediately doubt what they hear knowing their from Seattle (like they will other subjects). But back to that improved percussion sound, it has a little more echo than the Reigncraft version, great cut with Wanz and C.O.L.A. doing their usual thing.

14) Step Ahead of Death 5/5
Another track I'd heard absolutely nothing of prior, so I was so excited to see what you two came up with. Right away I knew it was a heavy bass street anthem style cut, and that's what I love. Unlike other songs on the album, the bass is almost constant giving it a 'rolling along' type of effect. So with this great beat I knew I'd love the cut, but what really separated it and made it great was when the chorus came in, as Crytical breaks out his singing voice again but this time it's a little deeper and darker ("when it's time to go, but I know one thing's for sho". I absolutely love the deep singing, and I hear a very subtle deeper voice when Crytical says "Sho" on the chorus, whether that's someone else or Crytical pre-recorded with a modified deeper pitch, it sounds fuckin great. And I do like D-Sane's verses, he really does know how to rap. I lke the use of the old verse, whenever an artist does that it really gives the listener a literal example of how much that artist has progressed from back then. Right here on this track we see history before our ears from the 4-Track Sessions to Crytical Condition.

15) My Everything 4/5
Again, a really really good track that I just don't like as much as the 16 other golden nuggets. I don't like Wanz as much on this track as I do the other ones, seems like it has less structure for some reason. Maybe it's the touchy feelyness of the track getting to me. If I ever skip a track on this CD this will be it. Still, a good track.

16) Fuck Tonight 5/5
D-Sane laced a beat perfect for the mood as I knew he would. We really get the freaky side of Crytical here which was a little weird because he's a married family man but fuck whatever. The beat with the xylophone sounding thing works perfectly and Wanz is good. I'm not really feeling the "oooo ooo woo" part but his voice is still beautiful. There are some pretty funny lines on this track if you listen close, like "I'm banging on your cervix like Apollo to Rocky's face" that had me thinking 'how the fuck did this guy bring Rocky Balboa and Apollo Creed into a song about fuckin?' Another hilarious one is 'had me feeling like Top Gun, young mulatto stallion" that shit is funny. Great track, shows that you two aren't all about the street anthem style, you can chill. I want to bang my girl to this track, it'd be fitting but I don't know if it'll happen lol.

17) Bread N Meat 5/5
A little higher toned beat compared to a lot of others on the album. It's also pretty fast, but Crytical has the speed to keep up but still stay in control. He does a tremendous job on the chorus, rhyming the whole thing with "meat" has a good effect. Note's verse is really good, he's improved a lot in my eyes. Sorry Bill Yuns, you don't even have the best song in the town named "Bread & Meat."

18) Blindside 5/5
This beat is similar to Bread N Meat because its faster than average for this album. For this reason I would've liked to seen these tracks not placed back to back. Still, this song is really good. I'd had a full version of this song for quite some time now, but D-Sane really did spruce up the beat quite a bit, most noticeably the bassline is much harder, hits much heavier. The chorus is really really good, Crytical changes the pitch of his voice especially "I'm on the Blindside Nigga" that has really cool effect. A-Train, I'm sorry but I think he's just pretty mediocre in general. I've never been a huge fan of his, he gets completely overshadowed and dominated on this track. Crytical's awesome and again, this beat is harder now, good job D. "Real shit, raised in the 6" great line. Great pump-up song here.

19) Hittin' Licks 5/5
At first when I heard this track start, I said 'oh shit' because I had heard really good things about this song (I think from Sonny Bonoho posted something on the board about hearin it) and I was looking forward to hearing another great D-Sane beat that I'd never heard before. But after listening to it several times, I really do like it. The mixtape thing seems really really popular nowadays, and I suppose it really is a great way to expose the mainstream for its fallacies by putting these savages from the underground over there beats. Crytical and Notes both are excellent on this track, especially Crytical and how he says the word "Floor" 'flo' that really makes the song hot right there. "Lay your bitch ass down on the flo, on the flo" with Crytical's powerful voice sounds way way better than those two-slow talkers from the South. Good idea, Crytical does a great job with his singing tone too.

Overall it goes without saying then that this is the best album SLR has ever released. By far the most depth, the best production, the best lyrics, the best features, the best of everything. They say 'if you had $11 bucks left what would you buy, some food or a lottery ticket?' Well I would buy this album, that is how good this is. Now, like a lot of people on this board and in the Northwest, I knew it was gonna be REALLY FUCKING GOOD. Still, I am blown away.

If things don't get better for SLR as a result of this album then I don't think they ever will because I don't think they'll ever be able to top this album. Seriously, I would love to have some major exec from a major label just listen to this album for 10 minutes and not sign these people. Like Mr. Samos said, It is the best album I've heard since All Eyez On Me in terms of overall depth and quality. I am going to listen to it all summer, all fall, all winter, all my life.

I am trying to get other people into this, I have failed in so many past attempts. A lot of my boys wanted me to burn them copies or send them tracks etc and I normally do that but not for SLR or especially this album, it got to the point where I was getting teased mercilessly and they were threatening to come in my room and steal it and burn it. I wish I could have more success in multiplying the money I've sent to SLR.

So to Crytical, D-Sane and everybody else involved in this project

CONGRATULATIONS not many people in this world can say they've accomplished something as great as this.

Mr. D-Sane

Sicc OG, muthafucka
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle
www.streetlevelrecords.com
Thank you very much for takin' the time to do an in depth review of the album.....we appreciate it!!

But I have to clarify the lyrics on "Matter of Time" for you though.

"I'm from Seattle and the ladder lookin' way too high, but I stay rhymin', stay climbin', it's just a matter of time!"