Artist....How much would you pay

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 26, 2004
www.myspace.com
For a independent video? From either a well known or a unknown video producer. Give the highest and the lowest you would pay for someone to do your video.Just trying to see how much artist or CEO's would spend on a independent or low budget video.

Feb 2, 2006
my boy did me a video for a playa price but now the boy got signed he tellin me he need 30 thousand lol! at least i got it while it was still hot

yes

Sicc OG
Feb 9, 2006
put it like this the qualiy gota be good and camera to charge 1000 and above!!! meaning no video camera that is been bought from bestbuy or somthing i know for a fact u can rent a hd real professional movie camera for about 1000 for like 2 days or somthing!!

but real talk if u starting and want to get business you should be in the range of 400-600
if u r established and got good stuff like 600-1000 and if u even doper and it looks like somthing off of mtv then 2000 and up

Jan 22, 2007
Students in the film department of most major Universities have access to top-notch cameras and editing equipment for free...That's how they were shot back in the day...Holla' at one of them and see what's up....Most need the experience for an assignment or their portfolio...

Jun 18, 2007
This thread is why the Bay is where it is...the bottom of the food chain. Allot of Bay artist have the mindstate of two-tracking their albums, no REAL mix or master shitty graphics and a 500-1,000$ video. This is grounds for failure and clutter in the market. If the Bay gave a fuck about quality and paying the price to present your shit on the level of other majir market artist 80% of the shitty rappers and 10% of the ok ones would call it a wrap and let the best represent the reigion. Big Rich is doing INDEPENDANT high quality videos. FAB's Ghost Ride It was goooooofy, but quality The Frontline had two HIGH quality videos on their last album and the Traxamillion, Kafani videos are worth mentioning aswell. But you have to at least try to represent yourselves well or your waisting your time and money. So save up and do it right the first time is my opinion.

Dec 2, 2006
theres alot of free help at alot of trade colleges.

Students in the film department of most major Universities have access to top-notch cameras and editing equipment for free...That's how they were shot back in the day...Holla' at one of them and see what's up....Most need the experience for an assignment or their portfolio...
that arent being touched. its very suprising alot of people arent up on game. not just videos but creative PROJECTS that take time and man power. but thats a whole other subject.

Jan 26, 2004
www.myspace.com
Thanks for the feedback! My main reason for asking this question is because i told somebody I would do a video for them for under $500 and they told me that was too steap! I know im just startin out but I think that's still a coo price to help promote a independent release. I aint working with a $1000 camera but for the camera im working with the quality aint that bad. I feel yall on your responses and I take all that into consideration!

Jan 6, 2008
www.youtube.com
This thread is why the Bay is where it is...the bottom of the food chain. Allot of Bay artist have the mindstate of two-tracking their albums, no REAL mix or master shitty graphics and a 500-1,000$ video. This is grounds for failure and clutter in the market. If the Bay gave a fuck about quality and paying the price to present your shit on the level of other majir market artist 80% of the shitty rappers and 10% of the ok ones would call it a wrap and let the best represent the reigion. Big Rich is doing INDEPENDANT high quality videos. FAB's Ghost Ride It was goooooofy, but quality The Frontline had two HIGH quality videos on their last album and the Traxamillion, Kafani videos are worth mentioning aswell. But you have to at least try to represent yourselves well or your waisting your time and money. So save up and do it right the first time is my opinion.
personally what i said is from the point of view of someone that isnt known, and doesnt hav any kind of label or anything pushin them....i dont know how much money u hav to just spend on a video but most artist dont have shit to start off with, so even $500+ is somethin to save up for

Dec 2, 2006
ouch!

so true! it seems alot of bay artists cant grasp the concept of allowing someone to make money with them.maybee its the dream deal some think they deserve, and im not saying some dont.but once again it takes money to make money and to compete with majors from production, videos, etc. you need a real BUDGET!.theres alot good artists but not many good teams or labels, imo. you may not make any money but hey who is nowadays!

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
Thanks for the feedback! My main reason for asking this question is because i told somebody I would do a video for them for under $500 and they told me that was too steap! I know im just startin out but I think that's still a coo price to help promote a independent release. I aint working with a $1000 camera but for the camera im working with the quality aint that bad. I feel yall on your responses and I take all that into consideration!
cut your own video. make your stock rise by having something. don't talk about it, be about it. really tho, if you're gonna charge ANYTHING then you need to have something. I can't charge people for beats without letting them hear the beats I have. a designer can't charge for graphics if they don't show what they can do, so you gotta do the same.

Dec 23, 2004
www.Representthebay.com
You need to have an Idea before you give a quote.
ask your self
is this gonna be shot during the day or night? if night then your gonna need lights

how many locations?
You tell a guy $500 bucks then he wants to got to 5 different locations across the bay, you lose half that in gas money

is there a script? whats the Video about?
your the video producer if the artist wants you to come up with the idea, then that extra loot right there.

Camera doesn't matter much, if you have 20 thousand dollar equipment but don't know what your doing then it doesn't mean much.

as for your boy telling you $500 dollars is to steep, get used to that cause thats the bay.
Seems like the cats who haven't had much success out here think they can try to network and get shit for free. This is a business shit cost money

Oct 28, 2003
personally what i said is from the point of view of someone that isnt known, and doesnt hav any kind of label or anything pushin them....i dont know how much money u hav to just spend on a video but most artist dont have shit to start off with, so even $500+ is somethin to save up for
If you don't have shit to start off with then why waiste it a a low budget video? Why not just put that money into promotions and making quality product for people to listen to. I see the shitty videos floating around and it makes the artist look horrible.

Jan 26, 2004
www.myspace.com
cut your own video. make your stock rise by having something. don't talk about it, be about it. really tho, if you're gonna charge ANYTHING then you need to have something. I can't charge people for beats without letting them hear the beats I have. a designer can't charge for graphics if they don't show what they can do, so you gotta do the same.

You know what, on the low I aint chargin folks shit for the stuff that I help them do and I gotta put that shit on pause...Im tired of doing shit for free to network with artist when I know Im doing a good enough job to get paid for my time and services. All I can do is show my work which is 1 video at this time and let that speak for me. Im just startin out in this part of the game so I got some shit to learn but I appreciate the feedback and opinions!

Jan 26, 2004
www.myspace.com
You need to have an Idea before you give a quote.
ask your self
is this gonna be shot during the day or night? if night then your gonna need lights

how many locations?
You tell a guy $500 bucks then he wants to got to 5 different locations across the bay, you lose half that in gas money

is there a script? whats the Video about?
your the video producer if the artist wants you to come up with the idea, then that extra loot right there.

Camera doesn't matter much, if you have 20 thousand dollar equipment but don't know what your doing then it doesn't mean much.

as for your boy telling you $500 dollars is to steep, get used to that cause thats the bay.
Seems like the cats who haven't had much success out here think they can try to network and get shit for free. This is a business shit cost money
I feel you on that!!! Right on!!!

Jan 6, 2008
www.youtube.com
If you don't have shit to start off with then why waiste it a a low budget video? Why not just put that money into promotions and making quality product for people to listen to. I see the shitty videos floating around and it makes the artist look horrible.
low budget videos arent necessarily shitty, i can show you a handful of videos right now there were done for $500 or less that are well worth the amount of exposure u gain from it

and i wasnt sayin save up and spend all the money u come up with on makin a low budget video...its just one of the possible things to invest some money into