Articles/Court briefs about SIR DYNO

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Rusto

Sicc OG
Nov 2, 2002
Some more interesting stuff to read:

United States District Court, E.D. California.
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, Plaintiff,
v.
David Marmalejo ROCHA, Defendant.
No. CR-S-04-0081 WBS.
April 18, 2005.

Defendant, David Marmolejo Rocha, respectfully moves this Court to impose a sentence of five years in this case. The legal bases for this request are as follows: 1) Overstatement of Criminal History; 2) Pre-arrest, Post-offense rehabilitation; 3) Extreme Remorse and Regret, and 4)Combination Of Factors.

INTRODUCTION

The sentencing request in this Memorandum encompasses both pre-and post-Booker sentencing jurisprudence.

In United States v. Booker, 125 S. Ct. 738 (2005), the Supreme Court held that the federal sentencing guidelines are advisory. The Court must consider them, but is free to impose a reasonable sentence after considering the factors set forth in 18 U.S.C. § 3353(a). This Court is fully familiar with Booker, so an extensive discussion is not set forth here. For all the reasons set forth below, David Rocha respectfully requests that the Court impose a sentence of 60 months incarceration.

I. DAVID ROCHA'S BACKGROUND

A. "Sir Dyno"

Mr. Rocha is an extraordinary man. Writer, actor and musician (see Exhibit A), David Rocha spent the 1990's expressing his extraordinary creative energy as "Sir Dyno", one of the nation's most influential artists [FN1] in the world of "Latino rap" music. Thirty-three years old, he is a man of immense creative talent. Exhibits E, M, N, O. Mr. Rocha has written and starred in more than five movies (several of which can still be rented through some Blockbuster video stores), at least four music CD's, including a "Greatest Hits" album; and in 2003 authored and published a novel, Midst of my Confusion (Exhibit A). A "Yahoo" search of his music alone results in 20 "hits". Exhibit B. An "Amazon.com" search for his book brings it up for sale along with six reviews. A search for his movies displays over 18 pages of the products and their reviews.

FN1. The undersigned was unaware of David Rocha's prominence in this kind of popular music until she was contacted by a producer for PBS television who was producing a television documentary about "Latino rap", and wanted to interview "Sir Dyno".

"Latino rap" describes a philosophy as much as a type of music. It describes a particular Chicano subculture, one inhabited by many defendants who pass through this courtroom. The following review of Mr. Rocha's novel is a pretty good summary both of the topic of "Sir Dyno's" artistic expression and his talent:
This work by Sir Dyno is truly a wonderful and poignant semi-biographical/fictional tale of the ... realities of the ... streets. It is a great novel, but at the same time it serves its purpose as a sociological and economical analysis of the "barrio" and offers an insight into the current struggle many Latino youths are faced with day in and day out. The form of expression used by Sir Dyno is completely raw, yet polished with wonderful literary play with words. He takes the words and brings them to life; he expresses his anger and frustration in passionate and tumultuous word schemes. This book will allow the readers to truly engage a reality of the battle-torn streets ... The CD included in the book is also a treasure in itself. The rhyme schemes and the forcefulness of the rap/poetry are hard-hitting and raw (real). This is another notch in Mr. Rocha's belt. From CD's, movies, to busting his way into the world of authors, truly this Chicano from Tracy is a mastermind and hustler of talent. In end, I recommend this book to readers of all genres...Book Review of The Midst of My Confusion, Amazon.com.
David Rocha forged his career as "Sir Dyno" through hard work and resourcefulness. Already writing lyrics and poetry at 16 years old, he gathered some close friends and they built a recording studio. Then, they learned to record and produce their music. This was no easy task. In a interview published when he was 26 years old, David reflected:
The two biggest obstacles we face are that we are a Chicano run business in this black industry... and it makes it harder for us, and that we are not in a large ... region, such as Los Angeles or New York. Coming out of the [San Joaquin] valley...there are no labels here. So if we wanted to make something happen, we had to do it ourselves.... We didn't have access to a studio so I bought my own equipment. I couldn't afford musicians, so I taught myself how to play keys, and drums over the years. We didn't have promoters so we promoted ourselves, we didn't have labels so we learned the ropes of the industry the hard way, but now all those things have made us unstoppable. I have had a least 20 releases in my region. So we probably have one of the strongest fan bases. We have roots deep with our fans.
"Interview with a Chicano: Sir Dyno", BrownPride.com.
While Rocha's music is not "gangster rap", some of his "action movies" do portray Chicano life in the "barrio" through words or action-scenes of guns, drug deals, and prisons. But "Sir Dyno's" work also contains another theme, one which reflects on the tension of growing up a Hispanic male in urban America, immersed in a subculture fraught with violence and drugs, while simultaneously trying to find one's way in mainstream "white" America.
f you listen to all of his music, you hear its message shine through as a cautionary tale to the listener. It's a sounding board or a mirror to reflect on for the community that listens to it. You can hear a caution to not go down certain paths because of consequences Exhibit M.
David's novel, Midst of My Confusion emphasizes the need for the Hispanic community to get educated, to stay away from crime, to live responsibly, and to honor its heritage. The novel's narrator is a gang member who leaves his small town, gets involved in the drug trade, and travels to Mexico. There he learns about his Mexican heritage and the heroes of Mexico's history. In the end, he renounces the gang lifestyle, apologizes to his father for his errors of judgment, and emerges a law-abiding, insightful man.
Mr. Rocha's "Sir Dyno" career was no idle pastime. He supported his family as "Sir Dyno" and still gets royalties from the CD's, movies and book. "Sir Dyno" is a nationally recognized artist.

B. Family and Church

On a superficial level, it might seem surprising to know that Mr. Rocha is a deeply religious man with strong ties to his family and church. Exhibits E-R. By all accounts - family, business acquaintances, church connections, friends - Mr. Rocha is a sincere, intelligent, sensitive, generous, industrious, creative person, a family man in a long-term (over 10 years) relationship, with a close, large extended family, and ongoing involvement in his church. Exhibits P-R.
David worked hard not to let his "Sir Dyno" career interfere with his commitment to his family, particularly his children's education. A quick study and voracious reader, David managed both to make money "rapping" about drugs and prison, and to spend almost all his free time with his family. He devoted hundreds of hours tutoring one of his children - Liana, who is 15 years old and in her high school's AVID [FN2] program - toward their mutual goal for a scholarship for her to Stanford or U.C. Berkeley. Exhibits I, J, L. The requirement of a meaningful higher education devolves to all the Rocha children from David Rocha, his former wife, Michelle, and his long-term partner, Cynthia Lopez (the mother of three of his children). To this end, Mr. Rocha has been an active participant in his children's schools, car pooling the children to school, becoming involved in parent/teacher meetings, classroom activities and field trips, and helping his daughter nightly with homework so she can prepare for college. Exhibits E, J, L, I.

FN2. The AVID program prepares gifted students to go to a four-year college straight out of high school.

He has even remained close friends with first wife, Michelle, with whom he has two daughters. Despite their divorce, the couple made a commitment to raise their children together and without rancor. Exhibits I, J. Although both have other long-term partners, they choose to live near one another to facilitate the joint parenting of their children. She writes, "He is a great father and has shared in the responsibilities of raising our children since day one. We live only minutes from each other which works great for us". Exhibit I. David and his former wife never needed a visitation or child support order from court. Exhibit I.
Mr. Rocha is also very close to his parents and large extended family. See Exhibits F-L. He talks to his own parents every day, (as does his ex-wife). Exhibit I, K. The Rocha family have gone out of their way to encourage (successfully) a friendship between his ex-wife Michelle and his long-term partner Cynthia Lopez, so both families operate practically as one. This, if nothing else, demonstrates the high value David Rocha has placed on his family.

C. Changed Life Since Offense, Before Arrest

David has worked since he was 16 years old. PSR at 10. He believes Cynthia Lopez ought to be able to "stay home" and take care of the house and children, and that it is his obligation to support his family. However, shortly after commission of the offense presently before the court (December 2, 2004) and well before his arrest (February 25, 2004) he decided it was time to quit his "Sir Dyno" career and get a "real" job. Giving up his "Sir Dyno" career was a process, not an event and not a snap decision. He had come to realize that all of his life, "identity and dreams were wrapped in this character I made for myself (Sir Dyno)." Exhibit D. And he was smart enough, and had matured enough, to understand that it was time to unwrap his "identity and dreams" from Sir Dyno because he had outgrown the need to be "Sir Dyno".
Three important events prompted this decision. One was that his daughter, Liana, had begun her sophomore year in high school in September, 2004, and it was more than ever obvious she had a good chance at a full scholarship to a top-caliber college. David Rocha quit his career as "Sir Dyno" in order to make enough money to finance the family's share of Liana's college career. Exhibit I; see also Exhibit J: "Before my dad's arrest, he was working as a loan processor for a mortgage company. It made him proud to know he would be able to help me through college".
Second, the Northern District case in which he was convicted of possession of four grams of methamphetamine contributed to his decision to live a more mainstream lifestyle. As the government observes, "Sir Dyno" helped a prison gang produce a rap CD, which caused prosecutors investigating the gang to believe (incorrectly, as it turned out) Rocha was part of it. Government's Letter at 3. The case was a large-scale RICO prosecution which convicted multiple heavy hitters in a notorious, dangerous gang. But for "Sir Dyno's" fame, he never would have been involved in the case, and at the end of the day, all he got out of it was a conviction. He had not even been sentenced on it yet in Fall, 2004, when, at 32 years old, David concluded that the "Sir Dyno" career was no longer productive for him or for his family.
The third event that sealed his decision to leave the recording world was the offense for which he stands before the Court. Rocha told the undersigned a year ago, and at her request he has tried to explain to the Court, how the commission of the offense was a "life changing experience" for him. Exhibit D. Prior to the actual transaction, he was extremely reluctant to provide drugs when the CI called him. Government's Letter, at 2. Although it isn't reflected in the Government's Letter or the PSR, the fact is that the CI called Rocha repeatedly in an effort to get Rocha to sell him drugs, and David Rocha never initiated phone calls to the CI for the same purpose. David Rocha and Cynthia Lopez would both testify that the CI's frequent telephone calls became so unsettling to David he eventually asked Cynthia to tell "the man" that he was not home when he called. On the other hand, Christmas was rapidly approaching and he wanted to give presents to his children and family.
Testimony would reveal that the same night he transacted the drug deal underlying this case, Rocha told Cynthia Lopez that he was ready to quit being "Sir Dyno" and get a mainstream job. After midnight on December 2, he called his parents and his brother Angel Rocha (a minister) and asked them to come over, which they did. Exhibit D. He told them he needed them to pray for him, and then he swore to them that he was going to abandon his "Sir Dyno" career because "the messages in my movies and music felt morally wrong". Exhibit D. Something about his interactions with the CI shook David to his core. Exhibit D. What he did felt wrong, immoral, disloyal to his family. Exhibit D.
Therefore, days after the drug transaction, David abandoned his "Sir Dyno" career. He stopped writing and recording music. Exhibit D at 2. David started to search for a job that would get his daughter through college and take him away from the "Sir Dyno" influences. In January, 2004, he was hired by Hilltop Mortgage as a loan officer consultant for home loans. Although he had
no skills for this job I was still given the chance...it was the first job I had in over 12 years. I finally felt as if I could clear my conscience. I no longer needed to share my life between family and being a rap star. Exhibit D.
This new job (and "divorce" from "Sir Dyno") appears to have been one of the best things that ever happened to David. He was excited and challenged in his new job. Exhibits G, I, J, L, M. He felt he could now help send Liana to college. His facility with computers impressed his co-workers. Exhibit G. He felt that in finding a new career, he had found himself.
Always a regular church goer, he began to attend church even more often after December 2, 2003. Exhibits D, M, N, P, Q. R. His job was working out, he was successfully separating from the "Sir Dyno" lifestyle, and it seemed everything had come together for David - until February 25, 2004, three months after the transaction, when he got arrested. And when that happened, consistent with his "vow to change [his] life", Exhibit D at 1, David confessed immediately and promptly started to cooperate with law enforcement as to the identity of his drug source. Government's Letter at 2. If he'd had any more information to provide, he would have.

D. Post-Arrest Life

1. Jail

Since his arrest David Rocha has been confined in the Sacramento County Jail. His performance there has been nothing less than stellar. He is the only client the undersigned has ever had who has submitted a Letter of Support from a jail corrections officer, Deputy Waterstradt, Exhibit C. He writes that David has been a "model inmate and trusted worker for many months...[who is] well on his way to rehabilitation." Exhibit C. David became a trustee at the jail in Fall, 2004. Selection of trustees is based on conduct, behavior and trust. He not only attends Bible study, he teaches it, and he has submitted to the undersigned over 50 pages of notes. Half he has taken during class, and the rest (19 lessons) he has written on his own, both for self-education and teaching his Bible class. These are available for the Court's consideration if it desires. He arranged a viewing of the "Passion of the Christ" for interested inmates at the jail over Christmastime. These activities he undertook even though he was threatened by other inmates for trying to "steer gang members away from old lifestyles". Exhibit D at 4. [FN3]

FN3. These threats by other inmates were confirmed by the undersigned, who offered to get David moved to the Yolo County facility. He refused, concluding that the inmates who threatened him the most were the ones who most needed his influence.

2. Remorse

David is one of the most remorseful clients ever to stand before this Court. The large number of people who have commented (unsolicited) on his extreme remorse is persuasive evidence of its authenticity. E.g., Exhibits E, G, H, I, J, K, L, N, P, Q. On Christmas, 2004, he asked to speak to every one of his family members so he could ask their forgiveness. Exhibit K (according to David's parents, David expressed his feeling that he "had to pay for what he did", and did not ask his family to pray for his release, but for the Court to give careful consideration of his sentence). Reverend Coss observes that David expressed his deep remorse and is ready to accept his due punishment. Exhibit R. Pastor Shivers writes, "...with my experience I can see through facades and recognize one who truly desires to change and has the inner strength and the support network to facilitate those changes. David is on of those rare individuals who I believe has strength, determination and support necessary to become a truly valued citizen in our community." Exhibit P. David has apologized numerous times to his daughter Liana, both in person, in letters and on the phone. Exhibit J. There is no doubt he has affected her chances of being able to afford to attend Stanford University or U.C. Berkeley.

E. Criminal History

David Rocha does have two prior convictions. His 1988 conviction involved 88 grams of methamphetamine, his 2001 only four grams. Government's Letter at 3.

II. LAW AND ARGUMENT FOR 60-MONTH SENTENCE

A. Overstatement of Criminal History: USSG §4A1.3(b)(1)

USSG §4A1.3(b)(1) reads in relevant part that a sentencing court may make a downward departure if "the defendant's criminal history category substantially over-represents the seriousness of the defendant's criminal history or the likelihood that the defendant will commit other crimes."
The defense submits that David Rocha qualifies for a downward departure under both parts of the guideline.
Even before Booker, the Ninth Circuit expressly approved downward departures for overrepresentation. See United States v. Reyes, 8 F.3d 1379, 1382-89 (9th Cir. 1993). In Reyes, the district judge departed from the career offender offense level of 32 (210-262 months) to an offense level of 14 (33-41 months), and imposed a sentence of 33 months. Id. at 1382. The departure was based on overstatement of criminal history under section 4A1.3. Applying the guidelines policy statement, the Ninth Circuit affirmed the district court's decision that Reyes' criminal history suggested that he was a "comparatively minor offender." The court explained that the penalty range "afforded simply does not reflect the degree of differential in the seriousness of underlying criminal histories or offenses." Id. at 1386. See also United States v. Rios-Favela, 118 F.3d 653, 658 (9th Cir. 1997)(horizontal departures based on overstatement of criminal history are authorized).
To arrive at the new Criminal History Category in Reyes, the court calculated the defendant's guidelines without applying the career offender enhancement. Id. at 1381.
Also, in United States v. Lawrence, 916 F.2d 553, 555 (1990), the Ninth Circuit held that a district court has the discretion to make a downward departure from "career offender" provisions on the basis of USSG §4A1.3 when the defendant's criminal history category significantly over-represents the seriousness of his criminal history. In that case, the defendant pled guilty to possession of over 100 marijuana plants with intent to distribute. Like Mr. Rocha, he had two prior predicate state convictions. Like Mr. Rocha, the defendant in Lawrence faced a career offender sentence USSG 4B1.1 based only on his two prior convictions.
Declining to reduce the defendant's sentence for overstatement of criminal history, the district court in Lawrence instead departed downward from the career offender guideline on part because there was psychiatric testimony that the defendant's likelihood of recidivism was low and that the defendant was not violent or antisocial. As in Reyes, the sentence imposed was ultimately what the defendant would have gotten without the career offender enhancement--i.e., applying the sentence for his drug case to the criminal history level the defendant would have been without the career offender criminal-history enhancement.
The government appealed but the Ninth Circuit affirmed on grounds that the district court had derived its authority to make the downward departure on the policy statement contained in USSG §4A1.3.
Here, all parties - Probation, the government and the defense - agree Mr. Rocha's criminal history is overstated. PSR at 13 (recommends CH departure of one Category, to Category V); Government's Letter at 3.
In conjunction with Lawrence and Reyes, the defense moves the Court to depart to the Category David Rocha would be without the advisory Career Offender Criminal History adjustment: a Category III. His 1998 conviction gave him two criminal history points. PSR at 8. His 2001 conviction gave him one point PSR at 8 (note: he has not yet been sentenced in that case, and yet still gets one criminal history point for it. Moreover, the district court in his Northern District case may be bound to impose a consecutive sentence on Mr. Rocha after this Court sentences him. USSG §2J1.7.)
Two more Criminal History points must be added because David was on pretrial release when this offense occurred. USSG §4A1.1(d). He thus has five Criminal History points, which results in a Criminal History Category III. Category III applied to Offense Level 34 results in a sentence range of 188-235 months. We submit that the 50% departure [FN4] urged by the government, Government's Letter at 3, should be taken from 188 months, and not from the 235 months recommended by Probation, PSR at 13.

FN4. The government moves for a 49% departure, but then agrees in addition that Rocha's criminal history is overstated by one category.

Fifty percent of 188 months results in a 94-month sentence.
A finding that David Rocha is unlikely to recidivate is an equally proper ground on which to find his Criminal History is overstated. See USSG §4A1.3; and see Lawrence, 916 F.2d 553. We believe we have shown David will not recidivate, especially by the 19 letters of support written not only by family members, but by work associates and social worker/ministers adept at recognizing genuine contrition and true intention (and strength) to reform.

B. Pre-Arrest, Post-Offense Rehabilitation

Three principles are clear, and all are reiterated by the holding in the Booker case. First, "t has been uniform and constant in the federal judicial tradition for the sentencing judge to consider every convicted person as an individual and every case as a unique study in the human failings that sometimes mitigate, sometimes magnify, the crime and the punishment to ensue." Koon v. United States, 518 U.S. 81, 113 (1996). Second, "[t]he successful rehabilitation of a criminal ... is a valuable achievement of the criminal process." United States v. Core, 125 F.3d 74, 78 (2d Cir. 1997). Third, "a court's duty is always to sentence the defendant as he stands before the court on the day of sentencing." United States v. Bryson, 229 F.3d 425, 426 (2d Cir. 2000). Mr. Rocha asks the Court to give due recognition to these principles in fashioning the sentence to be imposed.
In the context of this departure, Mr. Rocha's case is compelling because it shows not only post-offense rehabilitation, but post-offense, pre-arrest rehabilitation: David started to rehabilitate himself before he even knew he was going to be arrested. A departure upon post-offense rehabilitation grounds has been specifically approved by the Ninth Circuit (see United States v. Green, 152 F.3d 1202, 1207 (9th Cir. 1998) (eleven-level departure to 30 days custody and 3 years supervised release for post-sentencing rehabilitation in performing community service).
There is no bright-line rule as to what is required to warrant a departure for rehabilitative efforts. "[A] tentative step towards rehabilitation is not usually enough to warrant a downward departure." United States v. Williams, 65 F.3d 301 (2d Cir. 1995) (departure from 130-162 month guideline range to 60- month sentence for post-offense rehabilitation). Similarly, more is required than is required for the adjustment for acceptance of responsibility. Indeed, because the Sentencing Guidelines mention "post-offense rehabilitative efforts" as a consideration in deciding whether an acceptance of responsibility adjustment is appropriate, see USSG §3E1.1 N.1(g), the post-offense rehabilitative efforts necessary for a departure must be of such a nature and extent as to remove the case from the heartland of the acceptance of responsibility guideline. See United States v. Brock, 108 F.3d 31, 35 (4th Cir. 1997): "Post-offense rehabilitation may provide an appropriate ground for departure only when present to such an exceptional degree that the situation cannot be considered typical of those circumstances in which an acceptance of responsibility adjustment is granted"; United States v. Rhodes, 145 F.3d 1375, 1383 (D.C. Cir. 1998) (accord).
While many post-offense rehabilitation cases pertain specifically to successful post-offense attempts to stop using drugs, Mr. Rocha's case is equally if not more compelling because 1) his rehabilitation efforts began before he was arrested, and without knowing he was going to be arrested, 2) he immediately confessed and started to cooperate with the authorities without a thought of any section 5K consideration, and 2) his post-offense rehabilitation success involves his total lifestyle, not just recovery from drug use.

C. Extreme Remorse

A defendant's extreme remorse is an appropriate factor to consider under section 3553(a). See United States v. Jaroszenko, 92 F.3d 486, 491 (7th Cir. 1996)(defendant's remorse). As we have proved, Mr. Rocha has demonstrated profound remorse and regret for his actions. Exhibits E, G, H, I, J, K, L, N, P, Q.

D. Combination of Factors

Finally, the Court should impose a lower sentence based on the entire combination of factors present in this case, including that contained in the Government's Letter. Prior to Booker, where any single factor alone would not constitute departure grounds, the combination of several factors taken together may encourage departure. United States v. Cook, 938 F.2d 149, 153 (9th Cir. 1991); U.S.S.G. § 5K2.0. After Booker, all of the factors discussed above in combination support a lower sentence.
Therefore, we request the Court to impose sentence as follows:
*Overstatement of Criminal History: restore Mr. Rocha's non-mandatory Career Offender Criminal History Category to where it would be without the Career Offender enhancement: Category III, or a low-end of 188 months;
*Government's Motion: deduct 50% from 188 months for a sentence of 94 months;
*Pre-Arrest and Post-Offense Rehabilitation, Extreme Remorse and Combination of Factors: deduct 34 months for a sentence of 60 months incarceration.

CONCLUSION

For all the reasons discussed above, as well as any that may be offered in oral argument, David Rocha respectfully requests this Court to impose a sentence of 60 months incarceration, a one-day consecutive sentence pursuant to 18 USC §1347, and whatever term of Supervised Release the Court deems appropriate.
Dated: April 17, 2005
Respectfully submitted,
QUIN DENVIR
Federal Defender
/s/ Caro Marks
CARO MARKS
Assistant Federal Defender
Attorney for Defendant
DAVID MARMALEJO ROCHA
Appendix not available.

Rusto

Sicc OG
Nov 2, 2002
Expert Testimony on Gangs
Detective Richard Delgado testified as the prosecution's gang expert and discussed his prior interactions with young gang members in the county jail. [FN8] He often talked with and interacted with them, and they discussed their activities in the gang as part of their bravado of being involved and gaining respect. Delgado testified the young gang members "[a]bsolutely" know members of their gang have engaged in criminal activities and know the history of their gang's activities.

FN8. We will discuss appellants' objections to Delgado's expert testimony in section IV, post.

Detective Delgado explained the Norteno gang had been in Northern California for decades and acted under the umbrella of the Nuestra Familia prison gang. "You can have a Norteno from Ceres sharing the same philosophy with a Norteno from up at Pelican Bay or from San Ramon or Santa Rosa. They all have the same tattoos, same philosophy, listen to the same leadership, all look for the directions of to the top, which is Nuestra Familia. So it's all the same philosophy, all of the same beliefs, just different cities all referring to themselves as Nortenos, thus the Norteno gang."
*24 As mentioned ante, Robert Gratton was one of the leaders of Nuestra Familia, and his son was often seen with Jose. Detective Delgado testified that Robert Gratton became concerned that young Nortenos were fighting among each other. Gratton was involved in Nuestra Family's production of a rap CD entitled "Generations of United Nortenos," also known as "GUN," performed by "Sir Dyno." The CD was distributed to the Norteno street gangs and directed them to unite as Nortenos instead of fighting within themselves, and direct all their attention against the rival Surenos.
"The CD was produced as a direct order from Nuestra Familia, which is the overseers of the whole Nortenos criminal street gang ... in every city within California. And it was an absolute direction from them that you are to cease fire, not commit violence on any of the Nortenos. You are to get along and unite.... you're to unite and put away all problems, all arguments between each other immediately and concentrate all your efforts on committing crimes and killing rival gang members because those are the real threats coming up."
Delgado testified the CD was distributed by North Star Records from Tracy, and Robert Gratton was the company's partner. The CD had been found in the homes of Norteno gang members all over Northern California, and the result was a decrease in violence within the Norteno gangs. The lyrics refer to "having a gun and robbing, putting the gun in people's face and basically watching them be terrorized and the thrill that you get from doing it, the adrenaline rush." [FN9] Delgado testified that in just a few months, Robert Gratton made $50,000 from distributing about 2,500 CDs.

FN9. On cross-examination, a defense attorney tried to show the "GUN" rap song was innocuous when compared to Johnny Cash's song, "Folsom Prison Blues," in which Mr. Cash sang: "I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die." Defense counsel asked whether Mr. Cash performed the song with the intent to incite others to murder people. Detective Delgado replied Mr. Cash, his songwriters, and/or his band did not have common identifying signs, symbols, or colors, or associate on a regular basis to commit crimes.

Delgado testified the Modesto Police Department used six criteria to determine if someone was a gang member: associate on a regular basis with gang members and associates; proclaims himself to be a gang member; identified as a gang member by two or more corroborating sources, such as a relative, another gang member, or a probation officer; wears, displays, or possesses physical evidence of gang membership such as clothing, tattoos, drawings, or photographs of other gang members; uses words, phrases, terms, hand signs known to be specifically associated with a gang; and identified in a judicial proceeding as a gang member. The police department requires a minimum of two criteria for someone to be considered a gang member. Delgado explained that as a result of anti-gang legislation, a lot of Norteno gang members have become "pretty savvy" and avoid wearing solid red and being "flamed out," and have toned down their colors to avoid attracting the attention of law enforcement officers.
Delgado testified there were at least 3,000 documented Nortenos in Stanislaus County, and over 10,000 in Northern California. The Surenos were the Nortenos' rivals. There were more Nortenos than Surenos in Stanislaus County, but the number of Surenos was increasing and nearly equal to the Nortenos.
*25 Delgado testified the Norteno gangs had common signs and symbols, including the color red, demonstrated through clothing, hats, belts, bandanas; the letter "N" as displayed in jewelry; and the number 14, since "N" was the 14th letter of the alphabet, represented by one and four dots, or Roman numerals for 1, 4, and/or 14. The Nortenos also used the "Huelga Bird" symbol, originally used by Cesar Chavez's farm labor movement, and had twisted it to their own meaning as a gang symbol. Some Norteno tattoos depicted the bird with four feathers instead of the original design with five feathers. The Nortenos did not use the Huelga bird as just a common gang tattoo, but as a symbol that the gang member had done something very significant for the gang, and it was usually on high ranking gang members. A gang member with a Huelga bird would be asked by other gang members to justify the tattoo or face retribution.
Delgado testified there were several different sets of gangs under the Norteno umbrella in Modesto but "98 percent of them all get together. they're under one big association," and the various Norteno sets "all associate together." A gang member could move into another neighborhood and claim another Norteno set, but keep his tattoos from his prior clique. "It's all under the Norteno's umbrella. It's just different little subsets that all get along for the common cause for Nortenos." Delgado testified the Nuestra Familia prison leadership had been broken up through various prosecutions, and there was some fighting within the Norteno group to assume overall control and leadership. However, Norteno gangs were generally united and got along regardless of what area they were in.
The Norteno subsets in Stanislaus County included DSSM, Deep South Side Modesto; DSSN, Deep South Side Nortenos; DSSY, Deep South Side Youngsters; WSM, West Side Modesto; WSBZ, West Sidz Boyz; VMB, Vernon Block Nortenos; BRN, Bed Rock Nortenos; DMC, Dead Man's Curb; NSB, North Side Boyz; ESM, East Side Modesto; BWST, Barrio West Side Turlock; WCN, West Coast Nortenos; and WWR, Wicked West Riders. WCN operated in the southeast portion of Modesto, and WWR operated on the west side.
Detective Delgado testified that gang members earn respect within the gang by committing crimes, they gain more respect and fear by committing more serious crimes, and show "they're somebody to be reckoned with if you cross them." The primary activities of the Norteno gang in Stanislaus County included a great deal of assaults, such as drive-by shootings, hand-to-hand fights, and stabbings, robberies, auto thefts, drug sales, and burglaries.
Delgado testified to numerous predicate offenses committed by active members of the Norteno gangs in Stanislaus County, based on his personal knowledge and investigation of the offenses. Jose had four prior burglary convictions in February 1998, June 1998, October 1998, and March 2000. Willie had two prior burglary convictions, in May 2001 and November 2001. Vincent Gonzalez, a member of the West Side Modesto Nortenos, was convicted of felony assault with great bodily injury, and the substantive gang offense in December 2002, for stabbing a Sureno member. Juan Galvan, a member of the West Coast Nortenos, was convicted for possession of a controlled substance for sale in February 2003. Marty Johnson, a documented Norteno member, was convicted of car theft in May 2004. Albert Briseno, a member of the West Side Boyz, was convicted for carjacking and the substantive gang offense in March 2005. Albert's brother, Andrew, is a West Coast Norteno, and they both associate with the West Coast Nortenos and West Side Boyz.
*26 Delgado testified all the appellants in this case had Norteno tattoos, and they had explained the meaning of these tattoos to law enforcement officers on prior occasions. On Willie's stomach, he had "BWSN," which Willie said meant "Barrio West Side Norteno." Also on his stomach, he had tattoos of "player" and "life," a common Norteno gangster code or saying. On Willie's back, he had "West Coast Trippin,' " and one dot on his right hand and four dots on his left hand representing 14. On Willie's arm, he had "one" and "four," representing 14, "Brown Pride," which was an "old school" representation of Latinos, and the Huelga bird.
Delgado testified Jose had a tattoo of "WCN" prominently on the back of his head, and "CA" on his neck, representing West Coast Nortenos. Jose had "WCN" in large letters on his stomach. On the right side of his neck, he had "Bad Boy" under his ear, referring to his Norteno lifestyle. He had "Sinful thoughts" across his neck, which meant he was not leading the right kind of life. He had tattoos of "West Coast Nortenos" on his forearm, one dot on his left finger, and both WCN and WSM, for West Side Modesto.
Delgado testified Lawrence had "more significant tattoos," including a Mongolian warrior and "SJ" on his left lower arm, a large "B" on the right side of his chest, which Lawrence said meant Barrio East Side San Jose, a large "BES" across his stomach, which meant Barrio East Side, a large Huelga bird on his stomach, a "bumble bee" on the side of his neck, which he said meant "B" for Barrio East Side, and the letter "B" on the other side of his neck. He had tattoos on his legs of "B" for Barrio, "XIV" for 14, a Mongolion warrior, and the numbers one and four. Lawrence had lots of tattoo collages on his arms, with the numbers one and four.
Detective Delgado testified that he did not believe Jose's claims that he had dropped out of the gang. Delgado explained that a true dropout usually approaches law enforcement officers and debriefs them about their prior activities, and would refuse to be housed in custody with members of their former gang. The police seized photographs which depicted Jose with other Nortenos. In addition, Jose had been acquiring additional Norteno tattoos from his first contact with the police in 2003 to the time of his arrest in this case, he admittedly slashed a rival gang member, and he continued to associate with active members of the Norteno gang. The police contacted Jose about one month before his arrest in this case, and he was wearing a red hat, shirt, and shoes.
Detective Delgado testified about his investigation of Lawrence's background in San Jose, and determined Lawrence was an active and documented member of BES, Barrio East Side Norteno street gang in the White Road area of San Jose. There were 24 active members of BES. In April 2005, a San Jose police officer contacted Lawrence and asked what gang he was with, and Lawrence said he was with " 'BES, Barrio East Side,' " he was a Norteno, and he had been with the gang for four years. In May 2005, a San Jose officer contacted Lawrence while he was with other documented members of BES, and Lawrence again said he claimed Norte and BES.
*27 Detective Delgado was present for Lawrence's postarrest interview, and noted that Lawrence described his partner, "Mike," having a tattoo with four dots, which indicated Norteno gang membership. Lawrence said he was a Northerner and claimed Barrio East Side, which was a validated gang in San Jose. Lawrence said he gave the robbery proceeds to a girl named "Cheena," she gave some of the money back to him, and that he got the money for everyone. Delgado testified Lawrence's statement was significant because it showed the robberies were committed to benefit the gang by giving back the robbery proceeds, but Delgado did not believe the other person's name was actually "Cheena" or that person was a woman. "I think it was [a] male ... probably a shot caller" and Lawrence could not snitch on that person or he would "really be dealt with."
"... [F]requently Norteno gang members, when they associate together and commit specific crimes, especially crimes like burglary and robberies, that they are directed to give the money to a higher up, who takes all the money and will disburse it out amongst the gang and use it by the gang. The persons who actually committed the crime sometimes will get no money at all, sometimes will get a kickdown, but the money itself was given to somebody for to be spread out where it should be directed, whether it's buying weapons, buying narcotics, sending it up to prison to higher ranking members of the gang in prison or jail system."
Delgado explained that when the Nuestra Familia prison leadership was prosecuted and broken up, some of the "generals of Nuestra Family" had in excess of $50,000 and $60,000 on the books, which had been provided "by gang members all over California."
Detective Delgado testified Lawrence admitted he knew "Mug," who was actually Paul Lopez. Delgado explained that Paul Lopez was the brother of Jose and Willie. At the time of trial, Paul Lopez was in custody on another matter and was considered a "shot caller," someone who ran the gang in his custodial unit. During the investigation in this case, the police discovered photographs of Lawrence with Paul Lopez. When Willie was arrested, he was driving a white truck registered to Paul Lopez's wife. Lawrence had Willie's cell phone number in his cell phone. Delgado testified such contacts were significant because it established ongoing association among active Nortenos.
Detective Delgado was aware of Lawrence's repeated claim that he committed the robberies with "Mike," that "Vince" was driving the white truck, and that Lawrence never said he knew Jose or Willie, or that Willie was driving the truck. Delgado testified Lawrence was trying to be "a good soldier" and protect the other participants.
"... Frequently ... you get somebody that's going to confess about the whole thing, and he may confess and give up his partner, but he's going to use a different name, different description entirely to throw the police off.
*28 "I mean, it's one thing to confess to the police yourself, but you're not going to bring somebody else into it ... especially if you're a gang member, because once you snitch, you're no good, period. And you're not just no good like they don't want to associate with you anymore, you're no good as in there's a green light on you, meaning they're going to stab you, shank you, kill you, do something to pay you back for what you did to the gang."
Delgado explained it was "like a badge of courage" to take the fall and cover up for the other gang members involved in the crime. Lawrence was "being a good soldier. He didn't give up his partners. He took all of the blame himself. He didn't implicate anybody else like he's been trained to do." In such a situation, a gang member would "earn some stripes" for the benefit of the gang by keeping his fellow gang members on the street, "to continue to commit crimes ... they're still able to do crimes to raise money on the street, which will be in turn kicked back to you in jail or in prison to support you and your family while you're in custody."
Delgado testified Lawrence had numerous gang tattoos on his arms and stomach, and he asked Lawrence whether the intricate artwork was intended to cover up some of the gang tattoos. Lawrence replied the elaborate tattoos were not cover-ups and specifically explained the tattoos consisted of a collage of a one and four. Delgado noted that at the end of the interview, Lawrence repeatedly refused to be placed in protective custody, said he was an active member, and insisted placement with the Nortenos, which was contrary to any claim that he was a dropout. Delgao explained it would be a "great insult" to place an active gang member in protective custody since other gang members would assume that person had become an informant.
Delgado testified the police were able to obtain information from Lawrence's cell phone which consisted of photographs, sound bites, and videos of Lawrence hanging out with other Norteno members, displaying and wearing red bandanas, and flashing Norteno signs. In one photograph, Lawrence was "masking up" in a red bandana, showing his gang tattoos, and posing as if he was about to commit a crime. Such a photograph was taken to brag to the other Nortenos. Another photograph depicted Lawrence holding a gun in a menacing manner, wearing a red bandana, and showing some of his tattoos, as if he were about to commit a robbery, which again demonstrated his practice of intimidation for the gang's benefit. There were photographs of Lawrence wearing red, and posing with Paul "Mug" Lopez, the brother of Jose and Willie and a documented Norteno, throwing gang signs and wearing gang colors. Delgado believed these images demonstrated his gang-banging lifestyle, and could be used to vouch for himself with other homeboys with other Norteno gangs.
Delgado testified that when Lawrence was arrested, shortly after the last robbery, he was wearing sweatpants that lacked belt loops, but he had a black canvas belt wrapped around his waist with the letter "N" on the belt buckle, signifying Nortenos. When Willie was arrested in the white truck, he was wearing a red shirt, which was significant because it represented the gang. When Jose was arrested the next day, he was wearing pants with a red band.
*29 Delgado was also aware of Jose's claims that he was a dropout from the Nortenos, and testified his accumulation of tattoos contradicted that claim. Jose's records indicated he continued to add more Norteno tattoos since the time of his first field interview, even as he claimed to be a dropout. In March 2005, Jose admitted he acquired a black star tattoo for stabbing a rival Sureno at CYA, yet he had previously claimed to be a dropout. In addition, a dropout would not be allowed to commit crimes with other active Nortenos, as in this case.
Delgado testified all three appellants were active members of a Norteno gang at the time of the robberies. "f somebody's merely an associate of a gang, they would not go on a robbery spree with another gang member or go out to commit auto thefts or burglaries with somebody. The gang would not allow somebody that was just a hanger-on. They need somebody who's trusted, jumped in, a fellow brother in the gang to do this."
As to Lawrence, Delgado's opinion was based on his prior contacts with the San Jose Police Department, his admitted gang membership, his admitted knowledge of his brothers' gang-banging activities, his admitting knowledge that other gang members were in prison for committing crimes, wearing gang colors, gang tattoos, and continued association with other active members of the Nortenos. As to Jose, Delgado's opinion was based on his long history of being involved with the Norteno gangs in Modesto, his admitted gang membership, his continued association with other Nortenos, despite his claims of being a dropout, his display of gang colors and symbols, and his black star tattoo for attacking a rival Sureno. As to Willie, Delgado's opinion was based on his association with other Nortenos, his prior admission of being a Norteno, and his involvement in the final robbery with two other Nortenos by driving the get-away car. Delgado testified Jose and Willie Torres had been involved in other gang crimes. Their older brother, Paul Lopez, had been a gang banger with the Nortenos for many years, he knew Lawrence's family in San Jose, he provided the vehicle for the last robbery, and he was a shot caller for the Norteno gang in jail.
"So based on all of those factors as well as the multiple crimes they're involved with in these cases, gives me that opinion that they had knowledge that the gang participates in crimes. Not only that, but, I'm sorry, several of their friends involved within the gangs, whether it's Wicked West Rid[ers] or WCN, have been previously convicted on several felony charges with felon predicate type of crimes."
Detective Delgado testified the appellants committed the offenses in this case to further the felonious activities of their gang. As to Jose and Lawrence, they committed the robberies with other Nortenos, they used masks, showed red bandanas, and carried weapons. They worked as a team with each person having a specific job, and Willie had the specific job to drive the get-away car in the last robbery. "you've got people with weapons doing specific jobs all to benefit the gang, acting together." Delgado believed Willie had more history in the gang than Jose and Lawrence, and would be considered the OG, based on his role in driving the getaway vehicle, "making sure that the crime was committed correctly, parking down the street. In the long process, they were to go in with guns, with masks and commit these crimes, come running out to his car where he would make sure they got away."
*30 Delgado explained appellants committed the robberies in this case to benefit their gang:
"[G]ang members typically, based on my experience, do not have legitimate jobs, so they rely on criminal activity, in this case robbery, to supply the money, alcohol, food, whatever it is to support themselves. They use the money to purchase weapons, so the money obtained in these robberies could have been used to purchase drugs, marijuana, weapons, and other things, pay rent, to benefit the gang. That's just one reason on how it benefits the gang.
"Another way it benefits the gang is the fear factor. Gangs operate on fear, intimidation and respect. They believe ... the more you fear me ... is the more you respect me.
"So by the [appellants] in this case, Jose Torres going in with a weapon, with a mask, the tremendous fear that that clerk or those clerks in that case and the victim inside who had money taken have to live with knowing that, if there is a gang member on the street, they're always going to cower down. They're always going to be fearful of the gang. [¶] ... [¶]
"... It benefits the gang in many ways, the fear, respect. People are going to fear Norteno gang members now. Articles will be in the newspaper that gang members went in and committed these crimes. They may quit work. I mean it's happened numerous times where I've investigated where clerks just quit. They don't want to deal with that anymore.
"The other benefit, obviously the cash, the beer, whatever proceeds they got benefit the entire gang because it's shared with the gang, it's prerequisite, any spoils you get from your crime."
Detective Delgado further testified to his opinion that appellants committed the robberies at the direction of the Norteno gang, and that the Nuestra Familia hierarchy had given specific directions to the various Norteno street gangs to unite as a gang, "which these individuals have done, unite as a gang. They have committed the crimes as set forth in that CD [distributed by Nuestra Familia at Gratton's direction], talking specifically to rob, to get your guns, to go out and rob, not once, but twice, and how your adrenaline needs to be pumping, how it's exciting to rob and accomplish that need."
Delgado conceded that a gang member could commit a crime for his own personal benefit rather than for the gang's benefit. In this case, however, appellants' actions during the robberies were in association with and promoted their gang, because they were active Norteno members clearly working as a team to plan, commit, and flee from the crimes together. Appellants "didn't just commit one robbery. It was active gang members committing robbery, after robbery, after robbery together, providing a vehicle by Paul Lopez to commit these robberies, a get-away driver." The robbers "dressed up in masks and red bandannas representing the gang, that's all brought in to further the gang, to further the Norteno criminal street gang." Delgado explained these robberies clearly furthered the Norteno gang because "t's for bravado. He's going to brag to all the homeboys, look, what I've done. Look how it's done, you guys do this. It further promotes the gang." "For them to commit more, to develop, you know, bravado, courage, hey, I've done one, we can do another, didn't get caught, let's do another one. Builds courage up in the gang as well." The money obtained from such robberies "all goes uphill" to higher ranking members of the gang.
*31 Delgado cited Lawrence's postarrest interview, when he said he gave the robbery proceeds to "Cheena" and she gave him a cut, and compared the system to paying taxes to the gang. Delgado believed Lawrence's description was accurate except for the identity of the person who collected the money. Delgado explained that based on his knowledge of the Norteno gangs, when a Norteno commits a burglary or robbery, "he's required to give some of those products to somebody higher than him in charge, who in turn sells them for whatever money is put on books in the jail to higher ranking gang members. And some of it is sent up to the prison system. [¶] Now, in this case here, [Lawrence] committed robberies with some other Nortenos. [Lawrence] has got brothers in prison. So I don't doubt that he's sent money up to his brothers to support his brothers in prison. That's directive of the gang." While the money from these specific robberies may not have been used in such a manner, such a situation was "frequently what they do by committing robberies, burglaries, selling the merchandise to raise money to put on books. You can't put alcohol and cigarettes on books, but you can put cash on books."
"... ased on my experience and based on what [Lawrence] was doing, they were definitely putting in some work, committing these robberies and giving the money to somebody. [¶] You don't go and commit this many robberies in locations where there's surveillance equipment where you can see it everywhere, masked, unmasked, just for the heck of it. You know you're going to get caught. You're putting in work. You're trying to be a good soldier ."
Delgado testified that by giving back a portion of the robbery proceeds, the gang members keep the gang going. Gang members usually do not have legitimate jobs and instead rely upon these type of crimes to benefit the entire gang by sharing the proceedings with everyone.
"... It benefits the gang whether it's purchasing weapons, drugs, to re-up on drugs to sell or make more money to finance Nortenos parties, drugs, alcohol at these parties, pays their rent, they put money on books of their family members who are gangsters, friends who are gangsters. you're required to support your homeboys who are in custody."
In addition, the gang member's use of any type of force or fear on the victims benefits the gang and increases the Nortenos' reputation as a group to be feared.
Delgado further explained the multiple robberies were committed for the benefit of the Nortenos because they were committed by two documented Nortenos, working together as a team, with another Norteno driving the getaway car for the last robbery. They did not commit "just one simple robbery, but five total robberies together, associating together, and committing the robberies to benefit, to support the Norteno gang." The robbers did not just wear solid black, but were wearing "kind of tools of the trade and items of clothing to represent their gang," including red bandanas and Lawrence's "N" belt. "[T]hey're wearing colors to represent their gang. They were committing these robberies as active gang members." The robbers did not keep the robbery proceeds for themselves, but it was shared with other members of the gang, "so thus committing these crimes together, they benefited the gang."
*32 "[C]learly when you commit a robbery with another gang member and you planned it out, one's driving and one's watching the door and one's got the gun on the clerk, it's clearly that they're in furtherance of and they're assisting each other during the commission of the crime."
On cross-examination, defense counsel attempted to show that Delgado's expert testimony was simply a repetition of a report prepared by another officer in an unrelated gang case involving different offenses and participants. Delgado disputed that his testimony was similar to the report, aside from summarizing the Nortenos' activities in Stanislaus County, and that the suspects in both cases committed their offenses for the benefit of their gang.
Defense Evidence
Jose, Willie and Lawrence did not testify. Jose did not call any defense witnesses.
Willie called Daniel Vasquez as a defense witness. Vasquez was a retired warden with the California Department of Corrections (CDC), and testified as to his knowledge of gang activities and Willie's prior criminal activities. Willie had been in CDC and received a Level I placement, which meant there was no gang validation information for him of any sort. He was released on parole and received minimal supervision, and had been on parole for over two years when he was arrested in this case.
Vasquez testified there was no Norteno street gang, but there were individuals who described themselves as Nortenos from small neighborhood gangs. Instead, Norteno was merely a geographical identification. Vasquez testified there were two validated gangs within CDC which were from Northern California: Nuestra Familia and Northern Structure. Vasquez testified it was impossible for Nuestra Familia to control the thousands of street gang members from within the prisons.
In Vasquez's opinion, the offenses in this case were not committed to benefit the Norteno street gang. There was "no Norteno criminal street gang. There's no known leader. It's a large number of people who make up people who identify as Norteno, and it just doesn't exist." Vasquez conceded the offenses could have been committed to benefit a small neighborhood gang.
On cross-examination, Vasquez conceded the Norteno gang has more than three members, common signs and symbols of "N," "14," and one and four dots, had been involved in criminal activities, and members of that gang have been convicted of burglaries, robberies, grand theft, auto theft, carjacking, possession of drugs for sale, and felonious assault. Vasquez was aware of validated Norteno subsets, and there were hundreds of different sets of smaller Norteno gangs in Northern California, but there was no single ongoing organization known as the Norteno criminal street gang. Vasquez conceded each set would meet the statutory definition of a criminal street gang, but insisted there was not a single Norteno prison or street gang with 20,000 members. Vasquez testified the only validated northern gangs in CDC were Nuestra Familia and Northern Structure. Vasquez also conceded all three appellants had previously claimed Norteno membership, they had extensive Norteno tattoos, and they were depicted in photographs with other gang members and throwing gang signs.
*33 Lawrence called Gary Zimmerman as a defense witness. Zimmerman was a psychologist with CDC and the parole department, and also had a private psychology practice. Zimmerman reviewed the transcript of Lawrence's postarrest interview, and also spoke to Lawrence about his condition during that interview. Zimmerman did not watch the videotape of the interview.
Zimmerman testified that Lawrence said he had been using PCP, methamphetamine, and alcohol in the days leading to his arrest, and he had been up for a couple of weeks. Lawrence clarified, however, he had not used PCP for a day and a half before the arrest. Lawrence said he was feeling the effects of the drugs during the postarrest interview, based on his rambling speech and inability to sit still. Zimmerman testified to his opinion that Lawrence was a heavy drug user and addicted to drugs at the time of his arrest. Lawrence admittedly dealt drugs to support his use, bought drugs from other people, missed work because of his drug use, and lost his only job because of repeated drug use at work. Lawrence's family had repeatedly urged him to stop using drugs and sent him to a drug treatment program, but he failed to comply with the program. He was also sent to drug diversion as part of a criminal case, but he failed to attend and failed a drug test.
On cross-examination, Zimmerman conceded he did not have any evidence whether Lawrence was under the influence of narcotics during the postarrest interview, aside from Lawrence's own statements about his condition. Lawrence told Zimmerman that he wanted to get home by robbing the store, he ran when he saw the police, and he was a gang member and did not feel he could beat the enhancements.
Lawrence also called his mother, Patricia, as a witness. She testified that Lawrence lived at the family home in San Jose, and other family members lived in Oakdale. Her oldest son had been to prison a few times. She asked Lawrence to move out and live with his brother, Robert, because Lawrence was using drugs. Robert had previously been involved in gangs but had never been in prison. He turned away from that lifestyle, and was married with a family and had a job. Lawrence enrolled in a drug treatment program but never finished it. Robert asked Lawrence to leave the house because of his drug use. Patricia knew that "Mugs" was a friend of her older sons. Patricia admitted Lawrence's uncles and brothers had been involved in gangs, but claimed he was too young to understand.
Patricia testified that in May 2005, Lawrence was living with her and working, but they had a fight about whether he could go to a party in Modesto. Somebody picked up Lawrence, he left San Jose, and they never saw him again before his arrest. She did not believe that he intended to stay with their family in the area. About one week after he left, Lawrence called her from Modesto and said that someone was going to stop by her house and pick up his clothes. Patricia refused and ordered him back to San Jose because they were planning a family trip to Disneyland. Patricia testified she could "tell by his voice on the phone" that he was using methamphetamine, and she knew he was heavily involved with drugs again.
Closing Arguments and Jury Questions [FN10]

FN10. The closing arguments and jury questions are included here because appellants raise numerous issues of ineffective assistance and court error based on these issues.

*34 In closing argument, the prosecutor, Mr. Maner, summarized the evidence which supported the charges as to each appellant, and asserted the surveillance videotapes from the stores supported each robbery count--that Jose and Lawrence committed the robberies and switched roles between the robberies. As for Lawrence's postarrest statements, the prosecutor noted that Lawrence admitted he committed count I, and said he gave the money to "Cheena" and she gave some back to him, but "we're not exactly sure who they are." As to count II, the prosecutor noted that Lawrence also admitted committing that offense, and "that he took the money and he fled with his crime partner, who the evidence shows was Jose Torres," and he admitted again turning the money over to someone and getting some back. As to counts III and IV, the prosecutor cited to the surveillance videotape as showing that Lawrence and Jose "both had a gun in commission of that crime," that both robbers walked into the store together, and the "[e]vidence shows" that Lawrence was the man with the mask, and "[t]he evidence will show[ ]" that Jose wore the hat and red bandana. The prosecutor discussed the last robbery and the officers' observations of the white truck waiting near the store, their attempted chase of the two suspects on the canal bank, and the apprehension of Lawrence in a nearby backyard, Jose's appearance on the roof of a nearby house, and the discovery of Willie as the driver of the white truck.
The prosecutor argued Lawrence admitted his culpability during his telephone conversation with his father, particularly when he told his father that he did it " 'with my homies from out here.' " The prosecutor argued Lawrence's statement to his father was significant because he was from San Jose while the other two defendants were involved with Stanislaus County gangs. "So [Lawrence] is saying, 'I did it with my homies from out here,' is a probative piece of evidence."
The prosecutor also addressed Lawrence's postarrest admissions to the officers that he committed the four convenience store robberies. "And each of these defendants in these robberies are identified as being the same people as the ones that were in court from a large body of evidence." The prosecutor cited the identification evidence from the robbery victims and witnesses, based on their faces, physical appearance, and distinctive tattoos.
The prosecutor turned to the elements and evidence as to the gang allegations, and urged the jury to listen to the court's instructions on those allegations. The prosecutor cited to the extensive evidence as to each appellant's active membership and involvement in the Norteno gangs. The prosecutor argued the evidence established that appellants were gang members who acted as a team in committing the robberies. The prosecutor asserted appellants committed the robberies for the benefit of the gang: "We heard [Lawrence] talking about how he shared their money. We have evidence [Willie] was the get-away driver and was helping direct this activity."
*35 Lawrence's defense attorney, Mr. Wentz, conceded that the surveillance videotapes made it "pretty clear" that Lawrence and one of the Torres brothers was involved in the four convenience store robberies, and instead asked the jury to focus on whether the prosecution met the burden of proof on the gang offense and enhancements. Counsel argued there was no evidence these specific robberies were committed for the benefit of any particular gang, and cited to the testimony of Willie's defense witness, Vasquez, that there was no particular Norteno gang. Counsel argued the robberies were not as sophisticated as claimed by the prosecution because they were not wearing masks for the some of the robberies even though all the stores had surveillance camera. Counsel also argued that Lawrence had a "horrendous drug problem," suggested Lawrence appeared "a little loony" and did not make sense during his postarrest interview with the officers, and cited to Dr. Zimmerman's testimony about his drug addiction.
Jose's attorney, Mr. Yeoman, challenged the prosecution's evidence as to the identity of the robbery suspects as to each count. Counsel attacked the reliability and memory of all the victims and witnesses when they described and allegedly identified Jose as one of the suspects. As to count I, the store clerk was "obviously very scared" and focused on the gun, it "wasn't even able to give a very good description" of the suspects, and "it is not until almost one year later that she identifies" Jose as the gunman. Counsel attacked the testimony of the clerk in count II, because he was not able to describe the person who was standing at the door wearing mask, as Lawrence committed the actual robbery. In addition, the clerk thought the robbers left in the Jeep Cherokee instead of the older model truck which the prosecution relied upon. "So the whole premise of the case against [Jose] on that second robbery is that, well, because he must have done these other three robberies, he must have been that person that's standing at the doorway."
Jose's counsel turned to counts III and IV, and that the prosecution's case against Jose was based on the store clerk's identification of only part of a tattoo, but the clerk could not identify anyone by their face. As to the last robbery, the store clerk identified Jose, but counsel argued that identification was suspect because the clerk was not sure if Jose's tattoos were the same as the suspect's tattoos. The witness in the store also identified Jose but admitted she was very nervous and trying not to look at the suspect.
"... So we don't have a lot of identifications where somone's completely looking and ascertaining what's going on around them. These are people that are also under a lot of stress, and sometimes you miss things when you're under a lot of stress."
Jose's counsel acknowledged that Maria Santana identified Jose as the man who jumped off the roof, but argued that she failed to identify Jose from a photographic lineup shortly after the incident, and did not identify him until almost a year later. "Again, just common sense, your memory is not going to be fresher the longer you wait."
*36 Jose's counsel wondered why Paul Lopez, the owner of the white truck who was depicted in Lawrence's cell phone photographs, or the other people in those photographs, were not part of the investigation or included within the photographic lineups shown to the victims and witnesses and queried: "[D]oesn't it make it suspicious they hone in on [Jose]? they're not even interested in looking at the owner of the truck." Counsel also attacked the lack of any evidence that a real gun was used for all the robberies and argued the firearm enhancements were subject to reasonable doubt.
Counsel also attacked the evidence as to the gang allegations, and argued there were "some problems" with it.
"... A lot of it is based on what [Lawrence] says in the interview. Now, the testimony was that he is fairly honest. That is ... the stuff he says about his role in the crimes is honest, and the stuff that is not about his role in the crimes, it's dishonest. Well, being fairly honest is like being fairly pregnant. You either are honest or you're not. Right there, that's not reliable. That proof they have there was actually money exchanging hands and testimony by [the] gang expert that particularly gang members transfer money from proceeds of the crimes they commit, but we don't have anybody actually saying that they watched any of these three individuals pass money to anyone else. We don't see any of these transfers. We don't see these notes from the prison gangs. We don't see notes from higher-ups directing them to commit these crimes."
Jose's attorney argued there was no evidence the robberies were committed to benefit a gang because the robbers did nothing during the crimes to show the clerks the offenses were gang-related, and disputed the prosecution's assertion the robberies were sophisticated gang crimes.
Willie's attorney, Mr. Baker, reminded the jury that Willie was only charged with being the getaway driver for count V, the last robbery. Counsel argued Willie was only arrested because he was driving his brother's car in the area that night, and there was no evidence that he aided and abetted the last robbery. Counsel argued Willie could have been an accomplice after the fact, if the robbers called him for a ride after the crimes and he did not know what had happened, but the prosecution did not charge him with that offense. Counsel argued there was reasonable doubt as to whether Willie dropped off the suspects at the store, knew what they were going to do, and waited to pick them up. Counsel agreed with the other defense attorneys that the more serious issues were based on the gang allegations, reviewed the difference between the substantive gang offense and the gang enhancement, and argued there was no evidence Willie willfully assisted any gang when he was driving in the area.
In rebuttal, the prosecutor reviewed the elements for the gang enhancements, argued the evidence supported the enhancement, and attacked Vasquez's testimony that there was no Norteno gang.
*37 During the deliberations, the jury requested to see the surveillance videotapes from all the robberies, and the testimony of prosecution witness Maria Santana, and defense witnesses Gary Zimmerman, and Daniel Vasquez. The jury requested to see the surveillance videotape for count II, the Modesto Stop-and-Save with Adrian Niave, and the "personal robbery" of Mazloumi, as charged in count IV. The jury also asked several questions about the instructions on the gang enhancements. The jury advised the court it could not reach a verdict for count IV, then asked to see the videotape for the "personal robbery of the store clerk giving his wallet."
Verdicts and Sentences
As set forth ante, Jose and Lawrence were convicted of the robberies of the four markets, as set forth in counts I, II, III, and V, with firearm and gang enhancements found true. The jury could not reach verdicts as to Jose and Lawrence on count IV, the robbery of Mazloumi's personal money. Willie was convicted in count V for the Standiford AM/PM robbery, based on his participation as the getaway driver, also with firearm and gang enhancements found true.
Jose was separately convicted of count VI, being a felon in possession of a firearm (§ 12021, subd. (a)), with a gang enhancement. Jose and Lawrence were convicted of count VII, participation in a criminal street gang (§ 186.22, subd. (a)) and that they both personally used a firearm (§ 12022.5, subd. (a)). The jury was unable to reach a verdict as to Willie for count VII, participation in a criminal street gang.
The court declared mistrials on counts IV as to Jose and Lawrence, and count VII as to Willie, and the prosecution did not seek retrial on those charges.
Appellants received the following aggregate terms: Jose: 42 years eight months; Lawrence: 42 years eight months; and Willie: 14 years.
Jose's Appellate Issues
Appellants have filed separate briefs, and they have also requested to join the issues raised by the other appellants, to the extent the issues are applicable to each of them. We have consolidated the appeals on our own motion. We will address the appellate issues in the sequential order presented by the trial record for the sake of logic, rather than in the order in which the parties raise the issue in their briefs, and note which issues are applicable to the other appellants.
In Jose's appeal, he contends defense counsel was ineffective for failing to object to the admission of Lawrence's postarrest statements, because the statements were by a nontestifying codefendant and implicated Jose on the robberies, and was thus inadmissible pursuant to People v. Aranda (1965) 63 Cal.2d 518 and Bruton v. United States (1968) 391 U.S. 123 (Aranda-Bruton ). Jose claims counsel was also ineffective for failing to object to Lawrence's statements as inadmissible hearsay under Crawford v. Washington (2004) 541 U.S. 36 (Crawford ), and the error was prejudicial.
*38 Jose next contends that based upon Lawrence's postarrest statements, the court had a sua sponte duty to instruct the jury on accomplice testimony and corroboration, because Lawrence was an accomplice as a matter of law and his statements were introduced as substantive evidence of Jose's guilt.
Jose contends the court should have granted his pretrial motion to bifurcate the gang enhancements and the substantive gang offense in count VII.
Jose raises a series of ineffective assistance claims based on the testimony of Detectives Brocchini and Delgado. Jose argues defense counsel should have objected to Brocchini's testimony as a robbery expert because expert testimony was not necessary on this issue. Jose also argues counsel should have objected to Brocchini's testimony about the culture and habits of gangs since Brocchini was not qualified as the gang expert in this case. Jose separately challenges Delgado's testimony as the prosecution's gang expert, and argues defense counsel should have objected to Delgado's alleged impermissible opinion testimony as to Jose's guilt or innocence.
Jose contends his conviction in count VII for active participation in a gang, and the gang enhancements attached to the other substantive counts, are not supported by substantial evidence and must be reversed.
Jose asserts the court failed to properly respond to the jury's questions about the elements of the gang enhancements, and the court improperly ordered him to pay the probation report preparation fee.
Lawrence's Appellate Issues
In his brief, Lawrence contends the gang enhancements must be reversed because the court failed to grant the defense request to clarify CALCRIM No. 1401, the instruction on the gang enhancement, pursuant to language in Garcia v. Carey (9th Cir.2005) 395 F.3d 1099 (Garcia ).
Lawrence contends the court improperly ordered him to pay the probation report preparation fee, and a clerical error in the minute order and abstract must be corrected.
Willie's Appellate Issues
Willie, who was only convicted of count V, robbery, with a gang enhancement, asserts the court should have granted the pretrial motion to bifurcate the gang enhancement from the substantive offenses. Willie also contends there is insufficient evidence to support the gang enhancement, and the court improperly ordered him to pay the probation report preparation fee.

Rusto

Sicc OG
Nov 2, 2002
Modesto Bee, The (CA)
Copyright 2005 The Modesto Bee

January 18, 2005

Section: A

OFFICER'S FUNERAL IS TODAY ATTORNEY GENERAL EXPECTED AMONG THE 4,000 MOURNERS

SUSAN HERENDEEN, BEE STAFF WRITER

California Attorney General Bill Lockyer is expected to lead a contingent of law enforcement officers from around the state at today's funeral for Ceres police Sgt. Howard "Howie" Stevenson, killed Jan. 9 in the line of duty.

Officials expect the 11:30 a.m. funeral at First Baptist Church in downtown Modesto to draw 4,000 people. Many of them will be arriving in law enforcement vehicles -- 1,000 in all.

Modesto police said they will block streets for parking and for the procession that will leave the church, bound for Ceres and eventually Lakewood Memorial Park outside Hughson.

Ceres officials also announced street closures for the procession that is expected to pass by police headquarters on Third Street.

The procession could take more than an hour to pass, authorities said.

Amid funeral plans, investigators have vowed to explore every lead as they seek to answer lingering questions about why 19-year-old Marine Lance Cpl. Andres Raya killed Stevenson and seriously wounded officer Sam Ryno.

Investigators said they are trying to determine how and where Raya got the SKS assault rifle that he used to shoot the officers; it is not a military weapon.

And they are trying to determine how the Marine got from Camp Pendleton, north of San Diego, to Ceres. He lived in south Modesto and attended Ceres schools.

Monday, investigators had no new leads to report.

"There just haven't been any breaks," said deputy Jason Woodman, spokesman for the Stanislaus County Sheriff's Department, which is heading up the multiagency investigation.

Authorities say Raya lured police to George's Liquors on Caswell Avenue in Ceres by shooting a bullet into the pavement. He went in the store and asked clerks to call police, saying someone had shot at him.

A store surveillance video shows what happened next: Raya paces back and forth as he apparently waits for police. Two officers approach from one side of the store; Raya shoots Ryno, who retreats behind a wall, then Raya resumes pacing. Stevenson arrives on the other side of the store, and Raya shoots him.

Raya then approached the injured Stevenson and shot him twice in the head, police said.

Arriving officers then tracked Raya to a nearby alley. After a volley of gunfire, Raya lay dead. Police said toxicologists found a "significant" amount of cocaine in his blood system.

Raya was buried Friday after a funeral that drew 600 people to St. Jude's Catholic Church in Ceres.

RYNO IN SERIOUS CONDITION

Ryno, 49, remains in serious condition at a Modesto hospital, and is expected to recover, Woodman said. Stevenson was 39.

Officer Rick Applegate, spokesman for the Modesto Police Department, said Ceres' 40 sworn officers will attend the funeral while Modesto police and sheriff's deputies patrol Ceres.

Nathan Barankin, a spokesman for the attorney general's office, said Lockyer will attend to show his respect for Stevenson and others who die in the line of duty.

Officers from Oakland will help direct traffic, Applegate said. Some sheriff's deputies in attendance will be on duty, providing security, Woodman said.

The church holds about 2,500 people. Those who do not get seats are expected to wait outside and join the funeral procession.

Shocked friends and family members have suggested that Raya snapped because he was traumatized by the seven months he spent in Iraq.

Investigators said Friday they learned that Raya did not see combat and perhaps never fired his weapon; they said he drove Humvees and supply trucks in military convoys. The military has said that Raya's unit was not scheduled to return to Iraq.

At a news conference Friday, sheriff's Lt. Bill Heyne said Raya had ties to the Norteo gang -- something his military commanders and his family say they knew nothing about.

Officials said a safe in Raya's bedroom held a copy of a book, "Midst of My Confusion" by incarcerated Nuestra Familia gang member Sir Dyno. The safe also held a shopping list of weapons, ammunition and other equipment.

After the shootout, school officials said Raya might have been involved in a Dec. 28 burglary of the Ceres High gymnasium.

Investigators confirmed the connection after viewing a videotape that had been in the Police Department's evidence room for more than a week.

The burglars took computer equipment valued at $5,700, smashed two monitors and tore an American flag to pieces. They left the pieces of the flag on the floor in an arrangement that spelled out "F--- BUSH."

IN VIDEO FLASHING GANG SIGNS

They also left behind a video camera. It contained a tape showing Raya and others smoking marijuana, wearing red clothing and throwing gang signs, Ceres police Cmdr. Brian Weber said.

A few days after the burglary, Raya approached a student at the high school and asked if he could get the video camera back, Weber said.

The student told a teacher about the incident, Weber said, then told Raya that police had the camera. Raya ran off and the tape sat in the evidence room, waiting for a detective's review.

"We didn't really think much of it until after the homicide," Weber said.

Rusto

Sicc OG
Nov 2, 2002
Monterey County Herald (CA)
Copyright 2003 The Monterey County Herald

November 23, 2003

Section: News

Falling into FBI sting

VIRGINIA HENNESSEY

When Armando Frias killed Raymond Sanchez, he fell into the web of Operation Black Widow, a three-year FBI sting operation that has trimmed the roots of the notorious prison gang.

The $5 million investigation, which involved 30 agencies from Santa Rosa to Salinas, was made possible by a key informant, Daniel Hernandez, the Nuestra Familia's street general who, according to Frias, approved the execution of Sanchez.

With Hernandez's help, investigators learned how the gang's leadership operated a criminal enterprise from behind the walls of Pelican Bay State Prison, controlling most of the drug trafficking in Northern California and ordering the murders of hundreds who crossed the gang.

They unraveled the gang's communication system in and out of its prison headquarters, a system that included wilas, tiny notes containing micro-writing secreted away in body cavities, and letters disguised as legal mail, coded in the ancient Aztec language or written in "invisible ink," urine that became legible when exposed to heat.

And they learned the hierarchy of the gang, from Category I members who are still being schooled in the gang's strict constitution to the generals, La Mesa, the only members who can sanction a murder.

As a result of the investigation, 21 gang members were indicted on federal charges alleging violations of the Racketeering Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act, or RICO. Other charges in the indictment include conspiracy, drug trafficking and murder.

Many of the defendants are from Salinas, including Ceasar "Lobo" Ramirez and Rico "Smiley" Garcia, the only defendant in the federal case facing the death penalty.

No trial date has been set for Garcia. Ramirez pleaded guilty to RICO violations and is awaiting sentencing. Here is the status of the cases against the other 19 defendants, some of whom are expected to testify for the prosecution.

* A trial-setting hearing will be held Dec. 1 for the lead defendant, Gerald "Cuete" Rubalcaba and James "Tibbs" Morado, Cornelio "Corny" Tristan, Joseph "Pinky" Hernandez, Tex Marin Hernandez, Daniel "Stork" Perez, Alberto "Bird" Larez and Henry "Happy" Cervantes.

* Five defendants pleaded guilty to RICO conspiracy: Sheldon "Skip" Villanueva was sentenced to 14 years in prison; Robert "Chico" Rose, 15 years; Israel "Silent" Mendoza, 12 years and six months. Ramiro "Goose" Garcia and Diana Vasquez are awaiting sentencing.

* Luis "Roach" Aroche pleaded guilty to being an accessory to the 1999 murder of Robert "Brown Bob" Viramontes, a former leader of the gang. Arache is awaiting sentencing.

* Armando "Suave" Heredia Santa Cruz, the leader of the Salinas regiment, and Vidal "Spider" Fabela pleaded guilty to narcotics distribution and are awaiting sentencing.

* Jacob "Blackie" Enriquez pleaded guilty to gun and narcotics violations and is awaiting sentencing.

* Anthony "Chino" Morales pleaded guilty to drug offenses and was sentenced to nine years.

* David "Sir Dyno" Rocha, the rapper who performed on the notorious G.U.N. (Generations of United Norteos) CD, pleaded guilty on Monday to narcotics distribution and is awaiting sentencing.

Frias was not indicted in the federal case but was convicted of murdering Sanchez in a state case built on the FBI's investigation. He was sentenced to 29 years to life in prison.

Frias, a 22-year-old Salinas native, maintains that Hernandez, the informant, approved the "green light," the execution order, on Sanchez while working for the FBI.

In an unsuccessful "outrageous governmental conduct" motion, defense lawyers in the federal case argued the FBI itself was responsible for Sanchez's murder, since agents were controlling Hernandez when he gave the green light. Federal prosecutors argued Hernandez forbade any gang violence and the Salinas regiment acted on its own in carrying out the murder.

According to Frias, Hernandez did initially resist the hit, but when Sanchez continued to ignore the gang's warnings to leave its territory, he changed his mind.

"He already made his bed," Frias recalled Hernandez saying. "He gots to sleep in it."

While federal prosecutors hope and believe the indictments eliminated some gang violence, Frias said federal case may indirectly have fueled some Salinas-area crime by leaving the Salinas regiment in disarray. With no leaders to "school" them in rules of Norteo conduct, he said, young gang members are committing robberies against the elderly and other unsanctioned crimes, such as drive-by shootings against rival gang members when children are present.

He said some crimes have been carried out on orders from the state prison at Pelican Bay to replace the drug profits that were diverted by the FBI during Operation Black Widow. Others have rumored that the recent spate of robberies and violence in Salinas is the result of a Pelican Bay order for the street regiments to provide money for legal fees for the upcoming cases, even though all of the defendants are represented for free by court-appointed attorneys.

Frias, who now denounces the gang, sees the Nuestra Familia slowly fading out. Many of the gang's veteran members facing the federal charges have agreed to testify against their former gang mates.

"It's funny in a way, all these guys cooperating," said Frias. "These guys are getting what they deserve. They've hurt so many people. They're getting a taste of their medicine by getting back-stabbed now by people testifying against them."

Rusto

Sicc OG
Nov 2, 2002
Contra Costa Times (Walnut Creek,CA)
Copyright (c) 2001, Contra Costa Newspapers

April 22, 2001

Section: News

GRAND JURY INDICTS 13 IN PRISON CRIME RING

SANTA ROSA A federal grand jury has indicted 13 members of the Nuestra Familia prison gang, accusing the leaders of orchestrating killings and other crimes while inmates at Pelican Bay State Prison, police said Saturday.

The 25-count indictment was handed down Thursday by a federal grand jury in San Francisco that has heard testimony for the past year, the Santa Rosa Press-Democrat reported.

The indictments were unsealed Friday, and all 13 people accused of crimes are now behind bars, according to the Santa Rosa Police Department.

Five of those indicted are housed at Pelican Bay in Crescent City, the state's highest security prison. They and the eight others indicted face charges that include murder, conspiracy, racketeering and drug dealing.

The gang members are accused of carrying out the crime campaign to control a drug trafficking empire stretching from Santa Rosa to Salinas and the Central Valley.

Rico "Smiley" Garcia, a gang member from Windsor, and his alleged accomplice Ceasar "Lobo" Ramirez are charged with a 1998 assassination of gang leader Michael "Mikeo" Castillo, who once oversaw the gang's drug operations in Sonoma, the newspaper reported.

Prosecutors say they intend to seek the death penalty against the two, the newspaper said.

In addition to the others indicted, David Rocha, a gangster rap musician from Tracy known as "Sir Dyno," was indicted for conspiring with Nuestra Familia leaders to sell drugs and use the profits to produce a 1998 CD called "Generations of United Nortenos," the Press-Democrat reported.

The undercover investigation called "Operation Black Widow" was conducted by Santa Rosa police gang investigators. It began in 1997 when two police detectives gathered information from a Pelican Bay parolee who helped to explain several Sonoma County gang slayings, the newspaper said.

The newspaper said the violence was a result of gang competition between the Nuestra Familia and the Mexican Mafia, another prison gang.

The war is connected to drugs and attempts to control the trafficking in various territories, the Santa Rosa Police Department said in a statement.

"There's a war going on, and it threatens to engulf every community in the state," said Brian Parry, the state Department of Correction's chief deputy for law enforcement.

Authorities told the newspaper they have thousands of transcribed pages of taped conversations among the gang members about drug trafficking and other crimes in poor Latino neighborhoods.

"There isn't one single case that's going to shut the gang down. But this action will cause major disruptions to their activities, and hopefully provide law enforcement agencies and communities a chance to better coordinate efforts to curb gang violence," said Sonoma County District Attorney Mike Mullins.

AP

---- INDEX REFERENCES ----

Rusto

Sicc OG
Nov 2, 2002
San Francisco Chronicle (CA)
Copyright 1998 The San Francisco Chronicle

November 29, 1998

Section: SUNDAY DATEBOOK

RAP GOES STRAIGHT TO VIDEO

Billy Jam, Neva Chonin

The list of local hip-hop artists- turned-filmmakers includes the East Bay's Darkroom Familia, whose second homemade movie, "Veteranos," will soon be in stores; Vallejo rapper D-Shot, who begins work on the self-scripted "Obstacles" next month; D-Shot's brother, E-40, who is wrapping up production on his video documentary "Charlie Hustle"; Numskull of the Luniz and his wife, Leah, who have just completed the script to their semi-autobiographical "Lunatiks"; and Hayward rapper Poetic-1, in the midst of filming the feature "Unforgiven," about the rap music industry.

Says the Darkroom Familia's Jose Quiroz, "Rappers are theatrical by nature, so they're born actors."

Last year Quiroz, his brother, their partner Sir Dyno and their extended rap family filmed a Latino- themed guns and drugs film called "Penitentiary Chances." With a budget of only $4,000, the film was shot in two days. It sold well in spite of its handicaps, enabling the brothers to allocate $15,000 for their next movie, "Veteranos," which will premiere in January at Utah's Slamdance Festival, an alternative to the larger, more mainstream Sundance Festival. The film will be released on video shortly afterward. Already scripted and ready to go into production in early 1999 is Quiroz's third movie, "Baggage Handlers."

"These rappers' movies are popu lar because they've got real ghetto flavor, and they hit home, unlike most of these mainstream movies you see in theaters," Butler said. "That's what rap fans want." Tower's MacMillan agrees: "It's definitely a new and fast-growing market. And one to watch."