Article, 12/28/2008: Bostic big in UK, hopes 'Take Our Time' turns heads in U.S.

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
Bostic big in UK, hopes 'Take Our Time' turns heads in U.S.

By RICH FREEDMAN/Times-Herald staff writer

Sam Bostic hopes that what's worked for Barack Obama will work for, well, for Sam Bostic.

The R&B artist, a throwback to those good ol' pre-hip hop days, takes a grassroots approach to marketing. And it's more than fitting that his single is "Take Our Time," is hot stuff in the United Kingdom.

When you're an independent recording label, patience is a virtue, agreed Bostic, sitting down with "House of Soul Recordings" director of artist relations, Bill Bostic - yes, his father - and marketing director Marshall Tubbs at their nondescript office on Tuolumne Street this week.

"With the major labels, the game plan is different," said Sam. "They can go from zero to 100 in a snap. We have way more work to do to reach that level."

Still, as the little guy on the block, there are advantages, said Bill Bostic. "We have a lot more control," he said. "And you can't call a major label and talk to the artist. With us, you can call right in and talk to Sam. You can get on his MySpace and talk directly to him."

Of course, a John Legend doesn't have to worry about going face-to-face with each record buyer.

No matter.

"I just have to wear different hats," Sam said. "Some days, I'm here doing more of the business stuff."

From Richmond to Fairfield to moving here two years ago, the Bostics hope to sign top-notch talent.

Right now, Sam is big stuff in the UK after inking a distribution deal with Expansion Records, which reps about 400 artists in the United Kingdom.

"We've got a big buzz going on over there," Bostic said. "Seems that they have a deep appreciation for this type of music I'm doing over there. And it takes hold a little faster, a little easier than here in the states."
"Europe is more into the R&B scene then the United States," said Bill Bostic. "The United States is more into the hip hop stuff."

The competition isn't as intimidating in the UK, the Bostics agreed. There's Legend, Rafael Saadiq and Bostic.

"There's much more of a loyal fan base," said Tubbs, an Alabama native scouring the country for support of Bostic's product.

The UK media has also taken to Bostic, who has done dozens of phone interviews to The Pond.

"They come to me like, 'You really are cool. We're glad you're taking the time,'" Bostic said. "I'm thinking, 'This is what you have to do. They appreciate it that you're stopping rehearsal or work to get on the phone and do an interview. A lot of artists won't do that, whether they have a bad attitude about doing it or whatever."

"It is easier for you to get an R&B record played over there," pops Bill said.

Even if the Bostics don't have millions upon millions to spend on the product, "we still make it look like the big guys," Bill said. "We're well grounded. We've been in the business a long time. We're trying to make it as 'large' as possible. Once the people see who we are and learn who we are, it seems to be able to open a few doors. We're not phony."

Sam, wearing a hat and nursing a cold, is happy where he's at.

"I've been fortunate. I'm blessed to have this team of people with me," he said. "A lot of artists here in the Bay Area are one-man operations. And they don't have the financial backing that I have. We have a passion for what we're doing. And we're going to sign talented people, teach them, educate them to maneuver in this industry and learn about this business as well as perfecting the craft."

"I want to build a label," Sam said. "That's why we're here."

"We can't ask for anything better," adds Bill. "We've been very blessed. It's very gratifying to see the fruits of the labor. We're able to see the blossoms of the rose."

"I want to serve as an example," Sam said. "You have to have a realistic outlook of what you're getting into."

For more information about House of Soul Recordings, call 557-3665.

http://www.timesheraldonline.com/ci...mesheraldonline.com-www.timesheraldonline.com