Are Victories Tainted???

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

WayCide-Ridah

Evergreen Hustlah
Sep 13, 2005
Tha Eva Green
After seeing Shogun Rua's demise in the UFC, one begs to ask...were victories tainted over in Japan because of doping, i.e. steriods and such???

One has to ask why Mirko Crocop failed in his bid in the UFC...he was a bad ass in pride and now that age caught up, his knee has failed and required surgery. I think I also heard once that steroids does or helps deteriorate certain parts of the body.

One also has to ask why alot of fighters choose to stay in the far east and fight where doping is not checked and not tested when the big money fights, the fights where a fighter wants to cement his legacy are??? The UFC is where it's at, the money, the fights aren't that good over there, are they?

Now we take Shogun Rua...once was considered the p4p LHW kingpin...once was considered the future of the division. I thought he was legit...until now, he has no cardio what so ever and cannot pound a K.O. over an over the hill legend......I think there is alot of doping oversea's but it's hard to say who, what, when, where, and why...only they can tell us

Jan 2, 2004
I mean, I wouldn't say tainted.. I dunno. But they were definitely on the juice over there.. and they don't care over in Japan. Antonio Silva is a big example of that.

May 17, 2004
rua had 2 acl surgeries and hasnt fought in over a year. give him a break. if he fights like crap next time then you can say whatever you want. and coleman has a hard ass head is the problem. that one punch almost took his head off

Jan 10, 2008
I agree give Shogun a pass for this fight. It seems likewhatever they were taking over there made them bigger and since they came over here iand are being tested it is like they shrank almost. I refer to wandys comment that everybody seems so big in the UFC maybe thats because they are natural and have done it the right way. For instance What happened to Kang last night. This is another reason i want to see fedor in the UFC to see what is what.

May 17, 2004
remember kang also blew his first fight in K1 heros. i just think he made a mistake and got caught. im sure some first fight jitters got to him too. i dont see how they wouldnt on such a big stage for the first time.

May 10, 2002
A doped up fighter beating a doped up fighter can't be a tainted victory can it?

Assuming everyone over there was juicing, of course

Jan 2, 2004
I don't think everybody over there was juicing. I don't think a lot of the American fighters were and others. I think you can tell by who is having success in the United States and who isn't.

Jan 2, 2004
Well. I'm just saying, they don't care that there is a legal case in America going on, where Silva probably had a good shot of winning, and still let him come anyway, even though he could be considered dirty.

Feb 7, 2006
Well. I'm just saying, they don't care that there is a legal case in America going on, where Silva probably had a good shot of winning, and still let him come anyway, even though he could be considered dirty.
He is a fighter and has a family what do you expect him to do. He must provide for his family and it is well known that the california atheletic commision are idiots. After revealing with exclusivity to TATAME.com that the second drug test with Antonio ‘Bigfoot’ Silva came negative, proving that he didn’t use bondenone for his fight against Justin Eilers, at EliteXC, his manager, Alex Davis, said that his lawyer is preparing an audience with the Athletic Comission for October 8th, at California. “We did a second exam and it came negative, and if he had used boldenone it couldn’t have a negative result, because this substance stays in your body for at least 12 months”, says Alex.

“Our lawyer is one of the best of the America and he asked for an audience with Athletic Comission, and we’ll show them the evidences”, told Davis, revealing that the producer of the supplement that Silva uses admitted that it can give a false-positive result for boldenone. “They admit that it can give a false-positive on the exam, the same thing that happened with Alexandre Pequeno (after his fight at WEC against Jose Aldo)”, guarantees Davis.
Antonio silva has also filed a lawsuit agianst the CASC.

Feb 7, 2006
Silva Sues CSAC

Suspended fighter Antonio Silva filed a civil action against the California State Athletic Commission on Jan. 7 in Los Angeles Superior Court, the first known case in which a mixed martial artist has legally contested a CSAC decision outside the state regulatory body.

Silva is asking for a “writ of mandate,” or a ruling from the court that will supersede the CSAC’s decision to suspend the fighter for one year for alleged steroid use and possibly allow Silva another hearing to try and prove his innocence.

Silva, 28, was suspended after allegedly testing positive for Boldenone metabolite following his July 26 contest against Justin Eilers at an EliteXC event in Stockton, Calif.

Silva’s attorney, Howard Jacobs, will file for a motion this week for the case to be heard at a future date. Jacobs said he has also sent a letter to the CSAC requesting the postponement of a Feb. 10 hearing where Silva’s license is to be reviewed for revocation following the fighter’s participation at an event in Japan on Jan. 4.

The CSAC contends Silva violated the state’s Business and Professions Code 18850, which states that, “any boxer or martial arts fighter who participates in a contest or match while under suspension by the commission, or any other recognized commission, shall have his or her license revoked.”

If the CSAC does not postpone the hearing, Jacobs, who will be in a Florida court on another case on Feb. 10, said he will file for a motion to stay the proceeding until the civil action can be heard and decided upon.

CSAC Assistant Executive Officer Bill Douglas did not initially answer calls for comment.

At a CSAC hearing on Oct. 22 in Los Angeles, Silva, his manager Alex Davis, and world-renowned doping attorney Jacobs appealed the fighter’s sentence on the grounds of a “false positive” from the over-the-counter nutritional supplement Novedex.

Novedex, which contains the testosterone booster ATD, is currently not included on the CSAC’s list of banned substances and has been documented to cause false readings for Boldenone before. Through his translator and manager Alex Davis, Silva said he’d taken the supplement for four weeks prior to the bout.

Silva did not disclose his use of Novedex on a mandatory pre-fight questionnaire submitted to the commission, though the form was presented to the Portuguese-speaking fighter in English. Davis told the CSAC that he had assisted Silva with portions of his questionnaire, and wrote down the word “multivitamins” when Silva said he’d ingested supplements.

At the hearing, Jacobs also presented clean test results for an independent specimen Silva sent to the AEGIS laboratory in Florida on Sept. 3, approximately 40 days after his state-administered test.

CSAC board members questioned the validity of Silva’s independent test in regards to its authenticity and chain of custody. Members also asked why Silva did not submit purchase receipts for the Novedex he allegedly took, before the five commissioners voted to unanimously uphold the suspension through July 27, 2009.

The Jan. 7 civil action filing contends that the CSAC’s ruling that the positive urinalysis test was conclusive proof of Silva’s steroid use is “both legally and factually inaccurate.”

“They had to prove he used something that was banned,” said Jacobs, “and once they acknowledged that the positive could have been caused by either the over-the-counter drug or by the use of Boldenone, they should have ruled in his favor.”

Jacobs said the burden of proof should have been placed on the state regulatory body to prove the fighter took the banned substance, and not with the fighter’s responsibility to prove the positive test came from the supplement.

“They shouldn’t have done what they did, which was turn around and say, ‘Well, you didn’t prove it actually came from the supplement,’” said Jacobs.

In a Dec. 11 letter to Jacobs, CSAC Chairman Tim Noonan wrote, “a mixed martial arts licensee is responsible for whatever goes into his body…Even if the Petitioner used Novedex AT and did not use Boldenone, the use of ‘any drug,’ whether denominated a ‘drug’ or ‘nutritional supplement’ that results in a positive test, is prohibited by Rule 303 and is grounds for suspension.”

In December, following the sudden departure of CSAC Executive Officer Armando Garcia -- who oversaw Silva’s case and ruling -- the state agency re-vamped its drug testing program and moved it to the same UCLA laboratory used by NFL, minor league baseball, men’s and women’s NCAA sports, and the Dept. of Defense.

Silva also accepted a bout against Yoshihiro Nakao at World Victory Road’s “Sengoku Seventh Battle” on Jan. 4 in Saitama, Japan. Silva (12-1) toppled Nakao with a technical knockout from injury at 1:42.

Silva’s manager Davis, who has steadily declared his fighter’s innocence from day one, said the fighter had no other option.

“We would have much rather not fought in Japan, but Antonio has medical expenses that he just can’t go without shouldering because of his health. He has to spend a lot of money on medicine every month,” Davis told Sherdog.com on Tuesday.

The 6-foot-4, nearly 300-pound fighter suffers from the chronic disease acromegaly, which causes enlargement of the extremities and face due to an overactive pituitary gland.

“I think we showed enough evidence that would have, at least, made them [the CSAC] investigate this further,” said Davis. “I don’t want to try and undermine the CSAC’s authority. I think they have to be rigorous with their testing. At the same time, they may need to realize here is what happened, it’s happened before, and this is the first time that somebody’s going all the way [to question it]. This doesn’t have to be set the way that it is.”

The CSAC has previously handed down hotly contested suspensions to former UFC lightweight champion Sean Sherk and Strikeforce fighter Phil Baroni, who both tested positive for steroids in 2007. Jacobs represented Sherk in his appeal, which led to a reduced suspension.

If Silva’s Feb. 10 hearing proceeds, his California license could be frozen in one-year increments until the commission voted again to reinstatement him. The commission could also vote to not revoke the license, alter Silva’s suspension, and impose a fine.

Davis said Silva has not been assigned his next bout with Sengoku, but is contracted with the Japanese promotion for the next year.

“He’s going to fight in Japan until we figure this out,” said Davis. “If he has to fight in Japan forever, like I said, he just doesn’t have a choice.”