Anyone over the age of 12 still listen to punk?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Palmer

RIP SouthernComfort
Apr 10, 2006
SEAHAWKS!!!
I was just wondering if any of you still listen to punk rock. I went to warped tour this past summer and found I was much older than 80% of the people there. I've heard a couple people say it's "too corny" I just wanted to know what ya'll thought. I still listen to bands like NOFX, Lagwagon, Pennywise, Vandals, Guttermouth, Strung Out...etc

Anybody else?

Jun 17, 2005
I still listen to some of it although hardcore is my main focus. If a punk band is playing at a local club or similar venue, I'll check 'em out. I feel you on the age thing but I guess that depends on the band playing. Japan was cool because not only could you could see bands w/ dudes (mainly bands in the Burning Spirits clique) well over 30 still raging and playing 1000mph, you'd see people in the audience of the same age going off . . .

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
Punk has been progressing a lot, the only bands that keep it somewhat pure are the older guys like NOFX, Casualties, etc. But I'll still listen to a few of them. Mostly NOFX and A Wilhelm Scream.

Jan 9, 2004
My roommate's son is 10 years old and listens to "punk" with all his friends. They think Fall Out Boy and Panik @ The Disco is PUNK. LOL

Punk is dead my friend for those of us over 12 that still remember it.

Dec 26, 2004
I still N only listen to Suicidal Tendencies.

I dont know what the new punk bands sound like, IF I did heard it then thats some piece of shit they puttin out. no anger jus nothin but a bunch of crybabies that wants attention.

Aug 14, 2003
HOW ABOUT NIRVANA OR PEARL JAM? ARE THEY PUNK OR ROCK? JUST THOUGHT I ASK BECAUSE I KNOW, GROWING UP THEY WERE HELLA POPULAR AND IM FROM SEATTLE, JUST LIKE THEY ARE.

Aug 14, 2003
I WAS JUST CURIOUS ON HOW OTHERS FELT ABOUT THEM, SINCE KURT KOBAIN WAS SO HUGE HERE. TEEN SPIRIT IS A CLASSIC SONG, I NEVER BOUGHT THERE ALBUMS, PEOPLE I KNOW HAVE EM. BECAUSE WHEN I GO TO OTHER STATES AND I TELL PEOPLE THAT IM FROM SEATTLE, THATS THE FIRST THING THEY BRING UP.

Palmer

RIP SouthernComfort
Apr 10, 2006
SEAHAWKS!!!
I still get that shit to. I like Nirvana, and pretty much all the grunge bands but I never listen to them. I will again one day I'm sure though.

Jun 17, 2005
smallski61916 said:
Nobody likes The Misfits, Rancid, or The Dead Kennedys??????
When I first got into punk/hardcore the DKs, Suicidal, Agnostic Front, DRI, COC, SOD (yeah they were metal, but the mid to late 80s was the "crossover" era), Exploited, BAD BRAINS(!), the Misfits and a shitload of bands on various skate comps were the bands which got me into the sound. Most people into HC (especially those my age) cut their teeth on the Misfits and DKs.

@ White Devil:

I noticed you mentioned Sick of It All as "wannapunk". I can almost see where you're coming from on that one since their last few albums had a more punk-than-hardcore feel, but they're still as hardcore as they were when they started in '87. The fact they're still around and still playing hardcore (albeit from an east coast and metal-INFLUENCED angle) surprises me.

edit:

@ White Devil again:

The Sick are tight! Hell yeah!

Jun 17, 2005
satherp5 said:
^^^ I'll agree with that. 99.9% of the new "punk" bands coming out are total shit.
I think we can partially thank "Hot Topic" (where kids can buy an identity w/ their parents' credit card) for that . . . There was a time when the only way you could learn about bands was to go see them, read about them or word-of-mouth.