Anybody who knows anything about computers & sound, can yall help me...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 30, 2005
...for some damn reason, I have no sound anymore since this morning. Yesterday it worked, but since I turned on the computer today it don't. It's a laptop with two built-in speakers... the sound is turned on, it says the "audio devices" are turned on and functioning, but there's no sound at all. I tried restarting it a few times, nothing. Anybody knows what the problem could be?

MKB

Sicc OG
Dec 19, 2002
sounds like its the speakers to me but I dont know a whole lot about sound on laptops. You might want to try and re install whatever sound drivers you have but it doesnt sound like thats what it is.

Sep 30, 2005
I know it ain't the speakers, cause I tried with headphones and it don't work either... the computer says the sound drivers are enabled and functional...

Sep 30, 2005
That's the first thing I did when I noticed I wasn't getting any sound. Everything's turned up. Trust me, it's not something that simple. Somebody on another forum told to go in the Start menu and run "dxdiag" which is used to show if directX is working right... it says everything is working, except when I start it it gives me an error message that goes something like "error 0X8878000a: unable to get extra DirectSound info because some functions are already in use by another caller". So that's my only hint right now. I take it as meaning that the reason sound ain't working is that there's a program that's trying to use DirectSound already... I don't see how that's possible since I turned my computer on & off a bunch of times, but I basically tried everything I could think of...