Anybody hear the new Moonsorrow?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 15, 2002
It's scheduled to come out in January, but it's an awesome album! Only two tracks (30 minutes and 26 minutes), so it takes a few listens to get used to it, but once you "understand" it, the album is very good. They certainly take their time on the tracks..it takes about 6 minutes before the electric guitars kick in on the 1st track. They do very good acoustic stuff anyway, so it's not a problem.

To those who have heard it, any thoughts?

Aug 20, 2004
Apperantly, this album will be the 5th installment(or chapter) of their story

Suden Uni - 2001 (wolf's dream)
Voimasta Ja Kunniasta - 2001 (of stregth and honor)
Kivenkantaja - 2003 (stonebearer)
Verisäkeet - 2005 (blood verses)
Viides Luku - Hävitetty - 2007 (ravaged)

May 15, 2002
^^yeah, it's great. I especially adore this band. This album isn't very viking though, but it's still got some viking stuff in it.

a star impaled said:
Is it funeral doom? I've never even heard of moonsorrow but I dig bands like wormphlegm and skepticisim.
It's viking black metal (though not very black, just influenced by black metal). They describe themselves as "epic heathen metal", which I think is the best description. It's got folk instruments like flutes, recorders, accordians, lots of acoustic guitars, etc. But these guys create very emotional and aggressive music, it's not "soft" like a lot of folk metal.

May 15, 2002
Kinda black metal-ish. Their early albums are closer to pure black metal vocals, but starting on Verisakeet, their singer began to occasionally belt these crazy battle cries. People say it sounds like someone being tortured or something like that. It's a turn off to some, but in my opinion it complements the music perfectly and that's one of the reasons I like Verisakeet so much. They also have choirs (with the band members, no keyboard choirs) that they sometimes use.

They use lots of natural sound effects like waves, fire crackling, birds, etc. to create atmosphere.