Any Tom Waits fans on the board?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
Okay about 3-4 weeks ago I was talking to a co-worker about music...we got to talking about Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds and he told me to check out Tom Waits because they are both great song writers. So of course I have heard his name before and people speak highly about him so I downloaded some songs. His shit is fucking great. I'm really digging his voice (or almost lack of one lol) and his lyrics are amazing IMO.

So if there are any Tom Waits fans on here I am going to swoop up three of his cd's some time soon...can you make some reccomendations? What are some must haves?

Thanks in advance if anyone answers back lol.

Nuttkace

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
I checked him out about a month ago after finding out the Tom Waits/ The Fall of Troy connection and ended up liking him. I don't own any albums, but this bartender at the bar I frequent is a huge fan of his so I can ask her what's his best work.
He's like a poor man's Dylan. Cool shit.

May 7, 2006
the heart of saturday night is probably my favorite album of his. it depends if u like his jazzy shit or if u like his cracked out, shit spun outta his mind type of shit. if ur into that, swordfishtrombones is a tight album.

but overall, the heart of saturday night, blue valentine, and small change r his best albums by far.

Doxx

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
strivin.com
Never been a big Tom Waits fan, but a bar (Red's Recovery Room) I used to hang out at right here in the town I live is mentioned in one of his songs, "Filipino Box Spring Hog" which is kinda cool. I used to go to Red's a few times every week about 7 years ago. It's a complete dive, like the kind you see in movies and it looks like the building could collapse at any minute. I haven't been in for years, but I imagine it hasn't changed much. Dee the bartender poured the greatest drinks in the world, straight gasoline they were so strong.

Here's a link about the song and the bar: http://www.keeslau.com/TomWaitsSupplement/Topography/redsrecoveryroom.htm