another monitor speaker problem

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 27, 2003
www.mymproductions.com
ok so i used to have one of those biggass old school monitors... i figure this is 2005 so ill go out and get one of them new flat panel ones...so's i did. Now it worked fine for the first few minutes.. till i tryed to play a song. Thats when i got this horrible buzzing sound commin out of my studio monitors.... ive never ever had this kind of problem... and i have no idea what could be causing it... but all i know is that i turn my new flat panel monitor off and the buzzin goes away ..turn it on, and it starts buzzing again... i got homies that have studios with flat panel monitors and there studio moniors next to em and no problems... anyone got any adivse??? thanks yall...

-Princeton vl1916 flat panel monitor
-M-audio studio speakers sp-5b's and they are about one foot apart from the flat panel monitor.

i hope this can be fixed cuz this flat panel looks sick inthe studio... thanks yall... :beard:

Apr 27, 2003
www.mymproductions.com
HERESY said:
are those monitors (speakers) SHEILDED? If not move them apprx 3 feet from the computer monitor and see if that resolves the issue.
Well in the manual for the monitors(speakers) it says that both the sub and tweeter have magnetic sheilding. I tryed the 3 feet thing and still no luck. But i did find that when i turn off the breakout box( its the box that has all the inputs, and thats connected to my sound card) the loudness of the buzzing gets considerbly lower...so im thinking it might have something to do with the breakout box....???...... i called tech support on the flat panel monitor and they didnt know shit...all they told me was to exchange it for a new one. Any way thanks for the advise Heresy..and thanks again yall.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
One more thing but is everything grounded? Could it be you have ground loop going on somewhere? My cable modem was causing hum in my motif es. Weird don't ya think? The motif wasn't near the modem nor was it connected to that computer but when I turned it on I could hear a faint buzz. Have you tried using different outlets?

Apr 27, 2003
www.mymproductions.com
HERESY said:
One more thing but is everything grounded? Could it be you have ground loop going on somewhere? My cable modem was causing hum in my motif es. Weird don't ya think? The motif wasn't near the modem nor was it connected to that computer but when I turned it on I could hear a faint buzz. Have you tried using different outlets?
well heres the weird part about it... the sounds ls also comming out of the headphones... so that leads me to believe that the buzzing is being caused by something that has to do with the break out box and the lcd monitior... i unpluged the speakers from the monitor outs on the break out box and there was no buzzing at all... so i dont think its something with the speakers and the lcd monitor... also another weird thing is that, after like 5 min the buzzing gradually gets to become a high pitched buzz... it will start out low.. then it will get louder and louder till it gets to its limit and then stays at a constant level... its not that audible to a regular listeners ear but to me (and im sure u can agree with me, us being musicians / engineers and all) it erks the fuck outta me.... anyway thanks again heresy i really appriciate the input man... peace. :beard:

ps i have not tryed different outlets... thats a simple but damm good idea...lol...peace.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
If you have one piece of gear plugged into another try to have them both routed to the same surge protector/outlet.

Check that cable modem man. I heard noise in my chain, checked the connections, tore down the lab and pieced it back only to find it was my modem sending weird signals. I was getting my noise through the earphones and thats where I heard it the most.

Apr 27, 2003
www.mymproductions.com
HERESY said:
If you have one piece of gear plugged into another try to have them both routed to the same surge protector/outlet.

Check that cable modem man. I heard noise in my chain, checked the connections, tore down the lab and pieced it back only to find it was my modem sending weird signals. I was getting my noise through the earphones and thats where I heard it the most.
yea man i dont use that comp for internet its strictly for music so no modem. but i didnt send a email to M-audio's tech support and they said that i have "whats called a ground loop" and they told me pretty much what u told me to do few replys ago.... so now that i know that im gon have to dissconnect everything and peice it back together to pin point the problem thats causing this ground loop... DANG. haha... thanks again Heresy for real mayne... stay up man...peace. :cool:

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
^^^^ I have two computers in the lab. My gear is nto connected to the one with internet and modem but I still had that buzz. For now let's treat it as a ground loop. When was your house/apartment built and how many outlets do you have? What TYPE of outlets are they?

Apr 27, 2003
www.mymproductions.com
HERESY said:
^^^^ I have two computers in the lab. My gear is nto connected to the one with internet and modem but I still had that buzz. For now let's treat it as a ground loop. When was your house/apartment built and how many outlets do you have? What TYPE of outlets are they?

well my house is pretty old... probely built in the 70's... and in the room where the lab is... i got bout 5 outlets.... u think i should buy like one of those power sources like a Furman or some shit?? :beard:

Apr 27, 2003
www.mymproductions.com
HERESY said:

well my house is pretty old... probely built in the 70's... and in the room where the lab is... i got bout 5 outlets.... u think i should buy like one of those power sources like a Furman or some shit?? :beard:

Apr 27, 2003
www.mymproductions.com
HERESY said:

Apr 27, 2003
www.mymproductions.com
HERESY said:

Apr 27, 2003
www.mymproductions.com
hahaha man im always having problems posting shit up in here ...hahaha.. my bad man... sorry bout that siccness too...haha... but yea... that buzz is killin me... even when i record vocals u can bearly hear it in the backround... and i got a session in about in hour from now... i might have to cancell if i cant fix this problem.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
TronikBeatz said:
hahaha man im always having problems posting shit up in here ...hahaha.. my bad man... sorry bout that siccness too...haha... but yea... that buzz is killin me... even when i record vocals u can bearly hear it in the backround... and i got a session in about in hour from now... i might have to cancell if i cant fix this problem.
No problem pimpin. If I were you I wouldnt cancel the session unless the noise is OBVIOUS. What you can do for the time being is record the vocals with a roll off around 60-80hz. This will reduce some of the noise. After the vocals are tracked apply a GATE to remove unwanted noise.

Apr 27, 2003
www.mymproductions.com
ok man.. havent had time to post back on here.. but, i found what the problem was.. my fantom xr is causing all that buzz!! it was right under my nose! after i took everything apart and put it back together... i couldnt figure it out... so i was like fuck it, imma make a beat and as soon as i turned the fantom on, "bzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" ok so now, what should i do? put a ground lift on it? its pluged into a surge protector so i dont think its at risk of being fried if it got the ground lift on it... thx Heresy.

Apr 27, 2003
www.mymproductions.com
hope im not double posting .... but yea i fixed my prob... i put on of those 3 prong to 2 prong adaptors on the power cord of my screen... no buzzing .. at all. i got it plugged in to a surge protector... u think its safe for my 400 dollar screen?? since theres no ground on it now?? haha if it blows ill take the muthafucka back to costco where i got it and trade it for a new one! thx mayne..peace.