Another Earth

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 18, 2003
I was torn between making this it's own thread or just posting it in the other thread, but I think it's a film that is worth the attention. And in keeping with the rules I'll just go ahead and make it.

You should check out this movie.

Rhoda Williams, a bright young woman accepted into MIT's astrophysics program, aspires to explore the cosmos. A brilliant composer, John Burroughs, has just reached the pinnacle of his profession and is about to have a second child with his loving wife. On the eve of the discovery of a duplicate Earth, tragedy strikes and the lives of these strangers become irrevocably intertwined.
The biggest praise I can give this film is that, even though the concept (multiverse) is not new, the direction of the film was definitely distinct from modern hollywood films. So if you are one of the many in here that are sick of remakes, prequels, sequels, and general douchebaggery in hollywood aka. making films just to make money, then this movie is for you.

At first it seems like the casting was a bit lackluster, but as each character developes, the two primary actors come into their own and actually do a very good job - I sympathized with each of them.

The story was good and while I was skeptical that they could mesh the two lead characters' tragedies with a story that borrows from the multiverse theory, it eventually unravels and works very well.

My biggest criticism is that with a movie of this nature, the cinematography was somewhat of a letdown. Because you could see the talent and the potential for this movie, but also the inexperience in Mike Cahill. They could have done so much more to capture the imagination of the audience, but it was his directorial debut, so expectations should have been tempered from the start.

I'm giving this film an 8/10. The movie was impactful, in that upon the conclusion of the final scene, I felt that I had watched something very good.

Check it out.

corinthian

Just Win Baby!!!
Feb 23, 2006
3rd ID
yeah, I saw this in the theater a while back. good movie, but don't go into it expecting scifi. it's a drama and you'll be disappointed if you expect otherwise.

Mar 18, 2003
Yeah that's sort of the point was alluding to. They should have focused a little more on the Earth 2 aspect and used more cinematography/fantasy elements in the film. With that said, being that they favored the drama aspect, it was still well done.

NAMO

Sicc OG
Apr 11, 2009
I heard some good things about the movie, I also want you to tell me what you think happens in the end