Anderson Silva permanent move up to light heavyweight?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 24, 2005
Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - by Ken Pishna

What’s next for Anderson Silva? That is the million dollar – or perhaps multi-million dollar – question.

After moving up in weight and dismantling No. 3 ranked light heavyweight Forrest Griffin at UFC 101 on Saturday night, it was all but a foregone conclusion that he would drop back down to 185 pounds to defend his middleweight belt.

“I think his next fight is at 185 pounds, probably against Dan Henderson,” said UFC President Dana White at the post-fight press conference. “I think we're gonna do him and Dan again. And then, I don't know. He goes back to 205. He could do anything.”

And “do anything” could be coming a lot sooner than even White had anticipated.

Yahoo! Sports’ Dan Wetzel reported that following the fight, in the wee hours of morning, Silva’s manager, Ed Soares, approached White with an unexpected proposition. That proposition being Anderson Silva forego defending his middleweight title to make a permanent move up to light heavyweight.

“I’d let him,” White later told Wetzel. “We’d put (the middleweight title) up for grabs.”

No word yet out of Octagon Central, but it’s an interesting proposition with blockbuster fights written all over it. While Silva is running out of options at middleweight, Rashad Evans, Quinton Jackson, Mauricio “Shogun” Rua, or the returning Tito Ortiz await at 205. And though Silva discounts ever fighting him, there is also current champion and Silva teammate Lyoto Machida.

With his win over Griffin, Silva took one more step in proving White correct. “He's the most talented fighter in the world. He's pound-for-pound the best in the world. He proved tonight, not only that he's that, but he can dominate in two different weight divisions.”

It now sounds as if he wants to be done in one of those two weight classes, perhaps enjoying the added power that accompanies the added bulk at 205.

If Silva and the UFC brass do decide to put the middleweight title up for grabs, Silva will likely have to let his words of solidarity fall by the wayside.

“Lyoto's my friend, he's my brother, and there is no way that fight will happen,” he declared at the press conference.

But if he moves up and both keep winning, an eventual collision would be inevitable.

“If Anderson gets to that point where he starts taking out 205-pounders, I'll make that fight,” White stated just as emphatically. “I promise you, I'll make that fight.”