An interesting Kobe V. LeBron James article.

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 28, 2005
This is something I found on bleacher report. Bit of a long read, but any real basketball fan will get some interesting points to consider. While I agree with some and disagree with some, I'm still in favor of LeBron > Kobe.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...explanation-of-why-lebron-is-better-than-kobe
Like Earvin 'Magic' Johnson & Larry Bird two decades before them, Kobe Bryant and LeBron James will likely forever be linked together.

There is no argument that between them, they represent the two elite competitors in the NBA. The only question is who is better. Allow me to make my case for why I believe LeBron James is the premiere basketball player on the planet.

6. The Attention Received By Their Pending Free Agency.

In the summer of 2004, Kobe Bryant was slated to become a free agent.

There was exactly one team, besides the Lakers, who showed interest. That was the Los Angeles Clippers. It should be mentioned that this was when the economy was healthy and booming. Perhaps you've heard that this coming summer, LeBron James' contract expires. Despite financial struggles, some franchises (New York, Chicago, New Jersey, LA Clippers) have dealt away a good quantity of their roster just for the chance to offer LeBron $125 million dollars.

A dozen other teams have made moves to clear enough salary for the same reason. Never before has so much wheeling and dealing taken place in an effort to attain the services of one player. Fans, analysts, and general managers have been talking about 'The LeBron Summer' for two calendar years.

5. LeBron is Already Shattering Kobe's Scoring Milestones

On March 4, 2003, Kobe Bryant became the youngest player in NBA history score 10,000 points. He was 24 years, 193 days old when he accomplished that feat. On February 27, 2008, LeBron James made that record his own. And he was 23 years, 59 days old. Kobe would then go on to become the youngest player to score 15,000 points. He was 27 years, 136 days at the time of completion. James seized that mark as well, doing so a full two years before Kobe did. LeBron was 25 years, 79 days old.

4. The Notion That Kobe is a Better Scorer is a Myth

Kobe Bryant is the holder of two NBA scoring titles. He led the league in 2005-06 and 2006-07. LeBron James has won the NBA scoring title only once, in 2007-08. However LeBron James career scoring average is an extravagant 27.8, while Kobe boasts a career scoring average of 25.3. Obviously both are top-notch, but the statistics support the argument that LeBron James scores more.

While we're on the subject, LeBron James also scores his points more efficiently. James' career field goal percentage is 47.5, in contrast to Kobe's career percentage of 45.5.

3. LeBron James is Younger and Already Has More MVP Trophies

As sure as the sun will rise tomorrow morning, LeBron James is going to hoist the Maurice Podoloff MVP trophy. Kobe Bryant has one Most Valuable Player Award to his merit in 14 years of NBA service. LeBron just completed his 7th season and already has two. Not a lot for Kobe Bryant supporter's to argue here....

2. If Kobe and LeBron Switched Teams...

With February's addition of Antawn Jamison to the Cavaliers and the off-season trade for Shaq, LeBron's supporting cast is starting to resemble what Kobe's has been like for a healthy portion of his career.

For years, LeBron James has turned a conglomerate of lesser players into winners, as evidence by his career winning percentage of .644%. On the other hand, Kobe Bryant once had a season in his prime (2004-05) where he didn't make the playoffs, just one year after reaching the NBA Finals. This is purely speculation, but could you imagine what LeBron James would be capable of if he played alongside Pau Gasol, Andrew Bynum, Lamar Odom and Ron Artest? I think 70 wins would be a reasonable proposition every season. The Lakers mustered only 57 wins in 2009-10.

Imagining Kobe Bryant on the Cavaliers is an interesting prospect. There would be question marks immediately about whether Kobe could even get along with his teammates. Everyone is familiar with he and Shaq's checkered history. The Cavs would clearly still be a playoff team, but I don't think they'd have won 66 games last year or 61 games this season, as they did with LeBron running the show.

1. LeBron James Makes His Teammates Better. Kobe Does Not.

In 2007, LeBron James carried Sasha Pavlovic, Drew Gooden, Zydrunas Ilgauskas & Larry Hughes all the way to the NBA Finals. LeBron's gaudy 7.0 assists per game average for his career speaks directly to his ability to not only get his (lesser) teammates involved, but to make them better as well. Players such as Donyell Marshall, Drew Gooden, Sasha Pavlovic, Larry Hughes & Damon Jones would go on to other teams and not thrive as they did when they played with James.

Name me one player that LeBron James couldn't play with. His game is so multi-dimensional that if he played with another scorer (think Dwyane Wade or Kevin Durant), he could be the facilitator. If he played with an elite point guard (think Jason Kidd or Steve Nash), he could be the dominant scoring threat. LeBron would make the necessary adjustments. Kobe Bryant wouldn't. Imagine how Kobe Bryant would fare alongside Dwyane Wade. (Hint: Not well.) Bryant's history indicates that he doesn't get along well with players who would rival his scoring. (J.R. Rider, Glen Rice, Shaq)

Conversely, Kobe Bryant was never able to win a single series without the aid of an elite big man playing alongside him. From 2004 when Shaq left until 2007 when Pau was acquired, the Kobe led Lakers missed the playoffs entirely in 2004-05. Then in 2005-06, the Lakers lost to the Suns despite being up 3-1. And in 2006-07, LA again lost to the Suns in the first round. In his defense, Kobe's career assists is a solid 4.7 per game.

Two additional side notes: I can't recall LeBron James ever publicly berating a teammate, especially on national television. Can't say the same for the Black Mamba. When Kobe gets frustrated, he will throw a teammate under the bus like no other. Pau Gasol was quoted as saying, "I think the ball has got to move more."

I wonder who that's referring to.

I recognize that Kobe Bryant is a once in a generation talent. His work ethic is among the best the NBA has ever seen. His His résumé is among the most pristine of anyone to ever lace them up. He is one of the best scorers to ever play, and has 4 NBA Championships. But LeBron James may go down as the best to ever play.

It isn't because LeBron jumps higher, dunks harder, blocks more shots, or whips prettier passes (although he does all those things better than Kobe), it's because LeBron James doesn't have any notable weaknesses.

Ideally his jump shot, particularly his three, could improve. But the guy is the complete package. He always makes the right play. He isn't a ball-hog. He's an outstanding teammate. He can score. He can rebound. He can assist. He can defend (and actually does, unlike Kobe who takes the easiest assignment on defense routinely. If you don't believe me, watch the playoffs and tell me how often he guards Kevin Durant, or Brandon Roy, or LeBron James, etc.). He can legitimately play anywhere from the point guard to the power forward on the court. He's a leader. He's single handedly changed the culture in Cleveland. He wins. And this season, after he claims his first NBA Championship, LeBron haters won't be able to point to the one thing Kobe has on him at this point.

Pundits have contrasted Kobe Bryant to Michael Jordan, and I think that is fair in a lot of respects. I believe that LeBron embodies elements of Michael, Magic and Bird. It's like Jay-Z once famously rapped, "If you haven't heard, I'm Michael Magic and Bird, all rolled in one...".

Mar 16, 2005
My first problem is the writer comparing kobe/lj to bird/magic.

there was pre-nba battles, and other factors to the magic/bird connection......there is no connection to lj/kobe other then playing in same league, they are years apart, no previous games etc...

Obviously im not a laker homer, kobe nut swinger etc.... But to try and compare mvps is completly and utterly reatrded

ok lets see who had won mvps prior to kobe winning his

Karl Malone
Michael Jordan
Shaq
Ai
Tim Duncan
KG
Nash

all were younger and in prime....lebron wouldnt have won against them in that same time frame either!

free agency...get the fuck outta here, everyone knew Kobe wasnt leaving the big market big city of LA. If any other teams thought they remotely had a chance they would have tried.

scoring

until Lebron can score 50+ as often as kobe and have his name in the 70 range much less 80 pt range then I think this nod still goes to Kobe. And sure Lebron is on pace for more points, he plays in an overall far inferior conference and never had to share the spotlight wth bigger name players like kobe as.

Lebron makes his teammates better...IN THE FUCKING EAST! Big fucking deal he took a team of scrubs to the finals, in a conference which boasted playoff teams with sub .500 records.

Kobe can't win without a big man.....This is a slap in the face of Big Z, because he was the franchise until lebron got there, and lebron still hasnt won a ring without a big man either so whats the writers fucking point?

Oct 6, 2005
Wow... He said Kobe takes the easiest defensive assignment on the floor...!?! I've never seen that... If anything he's like a rover... But I'd keep Artest on Durant over KB any day... Anyhow... LeBron IS better than Kobe... But, so what...! KB is STILL one of the BEST players the NBA has ever had...

Mar 16, 2005
Wow... He said Kobe takes the easiest defensive assignment on the floor...!?! I've never seen that... If anything he's like a rover... But I'd keep Artest on Durant over KB any day... Anyhow... LeBron IS better than Kobe... But, so what...! KB is STILL one of the BEST players the NBA has ever had...

again this is all opinion!

Younger Kobe is better then LBJ now, but Current kobe is not as good as lbj now.

hell like I said kobe was doing it against legends, k malone, mj, the admiral, young AI, young garnett, etc... noone is ever going to confuse any current players for those players in thier prime.

May 2, 2002
Kobe is a much better shooter...but to me Lebron has the better all around game.

That ain't Cleveland bias...to me it seems pretty obvious. I know a few Laker fans that agree with me.

In reality I could care less...I think these comparisons are pointless and dumb...both are obviously great players with different games.

You're free to call my opinion ass as well...I'm sure the Kobe dick riders in here will if you won't.

Oct 6, 2005

Younger Kobe is better then LBJ now, but Current kobe is not as good as lbj now.

hell like I said kobe was doing it against legends, k malone, mj, the admiral, young AI, young garnett, etc... noone is ever going to confuse any current players for those players in thier prime.
I'm a Kobe/Laker fan... Even when Nicky V. was runnin' the point...! Hahahaha... & as a long time Laker fan I can admit LJ is better than Kobe at THIS point... Kobe at 26...? I don't know...?

Mar 18, 2003
6. The Attention Received By Their Pending Free Agency.
This means NOTHING. In Kobe's 7th season he was fresh off of a 3-peat; had he been a free agent then, there would not be a team in the NBA who wouldn't unload everything to get him. Think about it.

5. LeBron is Already Shattering Kobe's Scoring Milestones
4. The Notion That Kobe is a Better Scorer is a Myth
Kobe did not start in his first two seasons. This explains why his career average is so low (7.6/15.4 in his first two seasons) as he was coming off the bench (subtract these two and he is scoring about the same as James), AND why his "milestones" were not achieved sooner. So the question becomes, "Why did James immediately start and not Bryant?". Perhaps it is because James was considered the better HS player, but more likely it is due to their teams roster when they entered the league. The Lakers had Eddie Jones who was picked 10th overall two years prior and had college expierence. The Cavaliers had Kedrick Brown! The guy played a handful of seasons and never averaged more than 6 points. If Kobe was placed on the shittiest team his rookie season with no one to challenge for his position (or points, see SHAQ) then his numbers would be substantially higher.

3. LeBron James is Younger and Already Has More MVP Trophies
There is not much to argue here. But I will point out that MVP's are subjective (and often arguable), as opposed to titles/numbers/etc. Steve Nash also has more MVP's than Kobe.

I could go on about this shit. Im not arguing who is the better player, rather the method this writer employed to prove his point. It doesn't look like he did a very good job researching.

Jan 28, 2005

If younger Kobe is better than LBJ now, you're discounting the fact LBJ is reaching the same scoring milestones as Kobe, but more quickly.

Earlier you talked about how Kobe did it "against legends" and how LBJ is in the "weak east", not playing against the type of talent Kobe plays against.

LBJ does it against guys like Wade, Bosh, Dwight Howard... and its not like East teams don't play any West teams until the playoffs. You know the NBA loves games where it has superstars playing against one another. LeBron is the reason the Pistons only seen two finals appearances in 6 straight visits to the Eastern Conference finals.

Both players are in my top 5 to watch. MJ, Grant Hill (-injuries), Anfernee Hardaway (- injuries), Kobe Bryant, and LeBron James are the players I most envied on the court from the introduction to the sport up until now.

However, I just don't see how when its all said and done... LeBron's numbers and accomplishments won't be outshining Kobe's in the Naismith Hall of Fame.

Mar 18, 2003
If younger Kobe is better than LBJ now, you're discounting the fact LBJ is reaching the same scoring milestones as Kobe, but more quickly.
Kobe did not start in his first two seasons. This explains why his career average is so low (7.6/15.4 in his first two seasons) as he was coming off the bench (subtract these two and he is scoring about the same as James), AND why his "milestones" were not achieved sooner. So the question becomes, "Why did James immediately start and not Bryant?". Perhaps it is because James was considered the better HS player, but more likely it is due to their teams roster when they entered the league. The Lakers had Eddie Jones who was picked 10th overall two years prior and had college expierence. The Cavaliers had Kedrick Brown! The guy played a handful of seasons and never averaged more than 6 points. If Kobe was placed on the shittiest team his rookie season with no one to challenge for his position (or points, see SHAQ) then his numbers would be substantially higher.
;p