Alice in Chains new album

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 15, 2002
What are ya'lls thoughts on the new album? Do you think they can pull off a successful (i.e. good) AIC album without Layne? I haven't heard the new vocalist, but I would imagine it would have been best if Jerry Cantrell just did all the vocals himself.

Jun 9, 2007
Musically, what I've heard sounds fine, but it will NEVER be an Alice In Chains album... just a Cantrell-n-Friends album that may turn out to be pretty decent.

May 15, 2002
^^that's what I was thinking. Even if the dude could do a "layne", I don't think I would even want that..AIC would be a copy of themselves.

Beyond the music, what AIC "is" died with Layne. I'm sure the album will kick ass, but I don't think it can be an AIC album..woulda been better off using a different band name.

May 8, 2002
I saw em live last year and the new guy doesnt sound at all like Layne.....Im expecting a good album but it's definitely not an AIC album.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
The new guy sounds pretty damn good IMO, if that album is out i'm definatly gonna get it, AIC definatly my favorite band of the 90s. Their new single is vintage AIC with or without layne staley, like the guy on the radio was saying they are a great band and they shouldnt have to be kept quiet forever because the lead singer lead a self destructive lifestyle.

Sep 17, 2006
Agreed, I just won't be able to bring myself to listen to this. Layne's death is still kind of a touchy subject too me.
Have toughed it out and listened to the record and Jerry Cantrell has not lost a step! His guitar playing is still flawless and unqiue and the band is just as tight as ever.

The DuVall thing still bothers me a bit, but Layne was not the biggest part of the band ( like Cobain or Bradley Nowell ) so I've come to terms with DuVall singing lol. He does sound a little much like Layne but Brian Johnson sounded just like Bon Scott and they put out another album less than a year after Scott's death. That being said, the album is a truly rewarding listen, I'm glad they sold so many records. So, props to AIC and everyone should pick this up.

The only thing that's missing is a Rolling Stone cover, but they didn't even give it to Pearl Jam so it won't happen.