Afterlife - iz Hip Hop dead? 2000

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 25, 2003
One word of advice my peoples!!!

If you seriously wanna become a good successful rap musician, you need to take time for some serious consideration!!!

You cannot always depend on everybody, including the big corproate music industry!!!

So if you're seriously lookin forward to commence your career as a rap artist; just take one tip from me:

BE ABOUT YOUR MUSIC & NOT ABOUT THE MONEY!!!!!!

Clear???

Mar 14, 2006
ITS FREAKS said:
i think thats the exact opposite.

COMMERICAL RAP is what is killing the CULTURE of hiphop.

i participate in Hip Hop culture and no one has tried to kill me yet?!

The media is always fucking shit up, take note...

in the late 80's when Hip Hop bloomed worldwide, the media dismissed the word Hip Hop totally, confusing everyone in the process, calling it Rap...

in the late 90's, they flipped it on us and dismissed the word Rap totally, calling the bullshit HipHop, so you don't see the word Rap anywhere now...

what we get nowadays for 'Hip Hop' is not the true representation of what Real Hip Hop is supposed to be and you know that. Hip Hop music is supposed to be intelligent in all areas and topics, not ignorant. True Hip Hop artists (yes, they are out there) are pushing the musical envelope and always searching for the brand new FUNK.

if anything, the internet is killing Hip Hop because anyone can pretend to be an expert.

Apr 26, 2006
smallski61916 said:
One word of advice my peoples!!!

If you seriously wanna become a good successful rap musician, you need to take time for some serious consideration!!!

You cannot always depend on everybody, including the big corproate music industry!!!

So if you're seriously lookin forward to commence your career as a rap artist; just take one tip from me:

BE ABOUT YOUR MUSIC & NOT ABOUT THE MONEY!!!!!!

Clear???

True, true. Put some heart and soul into your shit! Rap about life, the struggles in your hood, the good & bad times, politics, tell stories, etc... fuck the nonsense, make those bonus tracks. That's why rap sucks now, people only care about making that green as quick as possible with simple ass catchy lyrics and beats. Dumb kids will buy it either way, so they continue making it unfortunately. Rapping about rims, grills,... can only take you so far, it won't make you the best or most respected. This shit needs to change, someone needs to comeout and change everything for the better. Seems like everybody wants the hardest most noisest beats these days, rather than proper lyrics. Kind of like House and Trance music, it evolved into harder club and rave music with the kick drums getting more distorted and the synthesizer leads getting phatter sounding, but Rap should be different, it should be more about the lyrics and have good real music to go along, not some corny digitized sounding cr@p. If I want to Rave, I'll listen to Trance and other electronica music like that because it's the best for that, I don't want Rap to be involved in that or take the place of that.

Feb 7, 2006
SamoanDagorilla said:
They Might Be Frum The West Coast But That Music Is Comin Frum The UK.. Isnt This That Grime Music??

nope thats them project blowed nigas. Project blowed is a famous underground hip hop club in LA. THe mc's from there be on some other shit, makin new flows, delivieries, etc. the nigga who mad pistol grip pump used to rap there. Freestyle fellowship hail from there, and alot of others. Big Ups to project blowed. THere was a time in the LA rap scene when there was a real culture jazz rap, gangsta rap, underground, ese rap, all that shit, now we dont got shit and no one support the real. THere used to be the crenshaw manor, project blowed, the a spot pharcyde used to kick it at in los feliz or was it silverlake? Anyways, shit was crackin back in the day. Miss them days.

Apr 4, 2004
www.myspace.com
Dhadnot said:
nope thats them project blowed nigas. Project blowed is a famous underground hip hop club in LA. THe mc's from there be on some other shit, makin new flows, delivieries, etc. the nigga who mad pistol grip pump used to rap there. Freestyle fellowship hail from there, and alot of others. Big Ups to project blowed. THere was a time in the LA rap scene when there was a real culture jazz rap, gangsta rap, underground, ese rap, all that shit, now we dont got shit and no one support the real. THere used to be the crenshaw manor, project blowed, the a spot pharcyde used to kick it at in los feliz or was it silverlake? Anyways, shit was crackin back in the day. Miss them days.
I Hear What U Sayin And Like I Said They Might be Frum The West.. But They Way They Spittin Isnt A New Delivery... They Sound Like Grime Music (UK)... Where They Rap Like Really Fast To A Drum N Bass Beat.. Listen To Dizee Rascal Or Sumthin And Ull See The Similarities... And Pharcyde (When They Had Everybody In It) Is One Of My Favorite All Time Rap Groups...

Mar 14, 2006
this video was made in 2000. afterlife come from the freestyle fellowship family tree. freestyle fellowship perfected the fast flows from going to the goodlife cafe back in the late 80's. goodlife became what is project blowed now, ORIGINATORS OF THIS SHIT!!!

- pharcyde always give it up to the freestyle fellowship as holding the torch before them...

check out these videos if you got the heart...

P.E.A.C.E. AND ELLAY KHULE 98'
http://youtube.com/watch?v=quX1alc68EE

P.E.A.C.E. AND DIVINE STYLER / FREESTYLE THE MOVIE
http://youtube.com/watch?v=i41SGVYb_A0

NIGGA FISH AND ACEYALONE 95'
http://youtube.com/watch?v=om4Gqk31MC0

FREESTYLE FELLOWSHIP 93'
http://youtube.com/watch?v=GmaKGozDNPs&mode=related&search=

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freestyle_Fellowship

Feb 5, 2006
ITS FREAKS said:
i think thats the exact opposite.

COMMERICAL RAP is what is killing the CULTURE of hiphop.

True, It is commercial rap that is Destroying the rap game.

Its fags like-

lil john
lil scrappy
jibbs
lil boosie
rick ross
dem franchise boyz
young joc
pitbull
daddy yankee
and a whole lot fucking more that are ruining rap.

they make songs that suck and are somehow a hit.

Example- Jibbs with that song Chain hang low. C'mon that song is FUCKING GAY. anyone who says that song is good and actually belives that, should be bitch slapped. the rap songs today show no skill at all. the rapper just keep repeating himself throughtout the whole song.

We need that old school flavor back like-

Notorious B.I.G. (obviously cant happen)
Tupac (Obviously cant happen)
House of Pain
Lords of the underground
cypress hill
Funkdoobiest
the pharcyde
EPMD
NWA
Public Enemy
slick rick
and alot more.

Rap Today is DEAD. Except for some groups that keep it alive even thugh they are not very big or heard of.

I listen to Alot of rap artists/groups but my Favorite would have to be-

The Relativez because they are real, they are about their music.
The Relativez/Money Boyz are the Shit and I know they are gonna hit BIG one day. More People just need to hear them.

I have alot more to say, but i dont feel like writing anymore.

So I will say this-

Rap today is dead, but there is so much good shit already out there that you've never heard even if its pretty old. you just got to search and expirement with it.

Feb 7, 2006
SamoanDagorilla said:
I Hear What U Sayin And Like I Said They Might be Frum The West.. But They Way They Spittin Isnt A New Delivery... They Sound Like Grime Music (UK)... Where They Rap Like Really Fast To A Drum N Bass Beat.. Listen To Dizee Rascal Or Sumthin And Ull See The Similarities... And Pharcyde (When They Had Everybody In It) Is One Of My Favorite All Time Rap Groups...
I know what grime is, I peep some of that shit once in a while. But these niggas been rappin like that before grime originated. checl out aceyalone, mikah 9, freestyle fellowship cats.

Jun 23, 2005
BOOBOO619 said:
True, true. Put some heart and soul into your shit! Rap about life, the struggles in your hood, the good & bad times, politics, tell stories, etc... fuck the nonsense, make those bonus tracks. That's why rap sucks now, people only care about making that green as quick as possible with simple ass catchy lyrics and beats. Dumb kids will buy it either way, so they continue making it unfortunately. Rapping about rims, grills,... can only take you so far, it won't make you the best or most respected. This shit needs to change, someone needs to comeout and change everything for the better. Seems like everybody wants the hardest most noisest beats these days, rather than proper lyrics. Kind of like House and Trance music, it evolved into harder club and rave music with the kick drums getting more distorted and the synthesizer leads getting phatter sounding, but Rap should be different, it should be more about the lyrics and have good real music to go along, not some corny digitized sounding cr@p. If I want to Rave, I'll listen to Trance and other electronica music like that because it's the best for that, I don't want Rap to be involved in that or take the place of that.
I AGREE WITH YOU, THERE IS NO QUALITY RAPP ANYMORE,JUST DUMB ASS HOOKS AND DUMB ASS LOOKING COON LIKE RAPPERS WITH 40,000 DOLLAR GRILLS IN THEY'RE MOUTHS AND ALL THEY KNOW IS BLING-BLING!!!! THIS RAPP ERROR WENT DOWN HILL WHEN THE DIRTY SOUTH STARTED PROMOTING RAPP AS BEING STUPID ASS COONS EATING CHITTERLINGS AND GRITTS SITTNG ON PORCHES AND YELLLIN A SCREAMING FO NO DAMN REASON AT ALL!!!!!!!

Mar 14, 2006
Hip Hop culture never needed the mainstream to survive, it's been laughing at it ever since it started. The closest the radio ever gets to playing Real Hip Hop are the latenight mixshows. Alot of people confuse their good old days of listening to commercial radio with Real Hip Hop. Real Hip Hop heads don't complain about how commercial radio sucks, it always did.

If you depend on mainstream radio for your Hip Hop needs, you're just a sucker. Go out there and find it.

Mar 14, 2006
Hip Hop culture and the rap business are two seperate things, don't confuse it. Hip Hop culture does not need the mainstream media at all to misrepresent it, like it is now and always did. I go to Hip Hop events all the time and it's doing just fine. Real Hip Hop culture is a world-wide phenomenom that is going to stay here forever and ever.

Just because you spend money on a couple of CD's a year on rap music does not make you a Hip Hop participant at all. Major record labels spend in the millions every year and they still ain't Hip Hop. Posting on the siccness does not make you Hip Hop either, even bloggers, unless you shed light. When you participate in any of the elements you will see for yourself how alive it is, or if you can't, shedding light on what is real makes you just as dope.

The only station playing full-on Hip Hop back in the day like Rakim, KRS-1, and EPMD was on AM 1580 KDAY, heard only if you lived in the Los Angeles area, and that was only until 89'. other than that, the real Hip Hop heads were getting their fix listening to mixshows, meaning a DJ blending on the wheels of steel, until the present day.

The mainstream has always been diluting Hip Hop with R&B, House, and Pop music ever since the mid 80's when it came up. The stuff we laughed at was New Kids on the Block, P.M. Dawn, Vanilla Ice, Milli Vanilli and shit like that. It was never that much better back then.

When you are Hip Hop, you ain't worried about appealing to the masses or seeking temporary mainstream acceptance, a.k.a. selling out. it never lasts for anybody anyways. The pioneers are not happy with mainstream radio and that is who we should be listening to when you really care about Hip Hop as a culture. When it comes to rap business, go ask puffy. commercial rap music in the u.s. is dying and i'm lovin' it.

Stay real, peace.

Oct 6, 2005
C.V.E., Hip Hop Klan, Riddlore, Volume 10, Self Jupiter, Medusa, The Nonce, Sach, Aceyalone, and all the rest of those Project Blowed cats have been killin' open mics for YEARS... UK Grime has nothing on these fools... NOTHING...