AFI: Sell outs or not?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 17, 2006
While I loved the old AFI ( 95-00 ), I also love there new shit. I will fully agree that they have "sold out", but Havoc is 33 years old what the fuck the do you expect? I have to admit I HATE the gay makeup, but this band is more mature and better for it than ever before IMO.

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
lol there's been worse...

I think as they got older they grew out of the punk scene and blended together a style that's more appealing to a younger crowd. They got big on Sing the Sorrow, but imo that's their best album so it's hard to call it selling out.

Sep 17, 2006
lol there's been worse...

I think as they got older they grew out of the punk scene and blended together a style that's more appealing to a younger crowd. They got big on Sing the Sorrow, but imo that's their best album so it's hard to call it selling out.

I feel you. While i like the overall sound of there older punk albums, STS and Decemberunderground were there most solid and professional sounding records. They do have a new, kinda wierd look ( at least Davey does ), but the music is more mature, and plus you can't keep making the same record over and over again. Eventually, even the most hardcore of fans will turn on you, so props to them for growing up and still making quality music at the same time.

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
Tool has changed over the years...like Smurf said, they have "progressed". I dont even like their first two albums...i thought they were horrible.
Just curious by "first two albums" do you mean the Opiate EP and Undertow or Undertow and Aenima? I ask because a lot of people don't even know about Opiate so I'm just trying to see which two you don't like. Also because if you think Aenima is a horrible album I might have to ban you from this forum lol. Just kidding.

Personally I like all of Tool's stuff but I think Opiate is meh, and Undertow is great. But it wasn't until Aenima that I really became a fan.

Sep 17, 2006
Just curious by "first two albums" do you mean the Opiate EP and Undertow or Undertow and Aenima? I ask because a lot of people don't even know about Opiate so I'm just trying to see which two you don't like. Also because if you think Aenima is a horrible album I might have to ban you from this forum lol. Just kidding.

Personally I like all of Tool's stuff but I think Opiate is meh, and Undertow is great. But it wasn't until Aenima that I really became a fan.
Agreed

I never heard the EP, Undertow is the 1st Tool record i ever heard. Is the Opiate EP still in print?

May 9, 2002

Undertow and Opiete = crappola.

Aenima was their first good album IMO.

Jan 28, 2005
Answer That and Stay Fashionable

Shut Your Mouth and Open You Eyes

Very Proud of Ya

Black Sails in the Sunset

Art of Drowning

While I do actually like a few cuts from sing the sorrow, no AFI albums outside of the aforementioned will make it onto my iPod.