Activision threntens to pull PSN Support/Black Ops PSN servers may be “viable”

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 30, 2006
Written by Jason Koblovsky - Independent Journal

(I like the majority of Call of Duty Black Op's PS3 gamers) have been experiencing a huge number of connection problems for the past 3 month of release of this game. I've been in dialog with Activision with respect to the problems associated with this game, and following the call of duty forums (PS3 forums are filled to the max daily on complaints with connection problems with the multi-player of this game). I've posed some questions with respect to what Activision and Treyarch are going to do to keep the loyalty of the PS3 gamers to the Call of Duty titles due to the consistent problems PS3 users have been having and reporting to Treyarch since release. Activision offered the following and startling response:

Well I have nothing else to offer and I too follow forums and have many friends who play and enjoy the game for all of its features. As an avid gamer, I would also disagree with any legalities involving a single aspect of a game as online experience may change at any time. The publishers have the right to shut down the servers for their game at any time as well which based on the number of reported posts from users may be a viable solution over the free PSN.

In any event, if you would like to send your game disc into us, we can either;

a) Exchange for a sealed (unopened) copy of the game that you can take back to the retailer
b) Swap for another platform
c) Exchange for another Activision title of equal or lesser value.

These are the options that we are able to offer to you as a one time courtesy.

Let us know how you would like to proceed.

My Response:

So what essentially your telling me here, is that you've released a product that is known to have some major connection issues, and a threat here to the gaming community to keep their mouth shut, or the publisher might exercise it's rights to pull support for PSN?

I'm not going to accept or decline your offer at this time, however do have the legal right to accept the offer should the publisher pull support for PSN, or the next patch 1.06 forthcoming from the developer does not fix the connection issues with the free multilayer advertised with the shipped game, ON ALL PLATFORMS!

Considering this stunning threat from you on the PSN networks, if I chose to accept your offer it will be with option 1. I will never purchase an activision game again ever on any platform. I strongly disagree with punishing the users for mistakes made during the development process, and know several consumer advocates here in Canada that would be very interested in what you wrote here.

All gamers want is what they purchased here with the game, and able to enjoy it. So far I've seen nothing in respecting the PS3 gaming community on any front from activision, nor by treyarch on this. If you guys had issues with respect to PSN than it should have been a strictly XBOX PC release. I could seriously see some very strong legal challenges coming your way from the gamer community if PSN support is yanked after release. You can count on that.

In response to ongoing connection issues and vocal customer criticism, a spokesperson for Activision has reportedly told an angry PlayStation 3 owner that the publisher may shut down Call of Duty: Black Ops’ PlayStation Network servers.

Senior support representative Dov Carson apparently replied to blogger Jason Koblovsky’s complaints by advising that Activision may be prepared to close the game’s PSN servers.

“The publishers have the right to shut down the servers for their game at any time as well which based on the number of reported posts from users may be a viable solution over the free PSN,” he wrote.

Carson suggested to Koblovsky that the latter return his Black Ops disc to Activision, offering a “one time courtesy” exchange for another title, another platform’s version of Black Ops, or an unopened disc to return to a retailer.

Sister studio Infinity Ward also seems to be giving up on Sony’s network, laying the blame for Modern Warfare 2’s security issues at the platform holder’s door.

Activision’s told us it’s “looking into” the matter for us this morning

MysticOracle

si vis pacem para bellum
May 4, 2006
707- VALLEJO
thats awesome..i hope they do shut down the servers so the whole franchise tanks

its all coming back to actvision wanting people to pay to play MP...this could have been a marketing ploy...prior to black ops release there was talk of charging people to use the online service, and then they said no due to the consumer reaction so everyone bought it...now look what happens..connection problems...hmmm...and with the above statements from activision about it, it seems like they may just pull the plug on PSN or try to charge for it now...fuck activision...im done with the series anyways

0R0

Girbaud Shuttle Jeans
Dec 10, 2006
BasedWorld
Treyarch sucks & IW is in shambles, their bread & butter franchise will always be a shell of its former self. Especially because they will keep it a yearly release. Fuck activision.

May 3, 2002
here's the official word:

JD_2020 "PS3 Servers" comments were taken out of context. @Treyarch's committed to supporting the PS3 community with some great updates on the way. about 2 hours ago via Twitter for iPhone Retweeted by DavidVonderhaar and 76 others

MysticOracle

si vis pacem para bellum
May 4, 2006
707- VALLEJO
treyarch was rushed on black ops by activion to keep the release yearly, which might be a cash cow but is destroying the series...on top of the major flaws of BO ( haha BO, seems appropriate for the game ) plus the greed that has been showing is now apparent.. its unfortunate but i dont think anything could save the series at this point...especially since the next COD will be a halo knockoff