a question for REAL producers

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 10, 2004
i wanted to know if any of y'all ever produced for major Bay Area artists (team, keak, turf, san quinn, etc..) or know other producers that have. If so, how do you guys work out a deal with the artist? do you just sell them the beat or do you collect royalties (if that exists with bay area artists).

i ask because i might shoot a few beats to a few major bay area artists to peep out if interested. i was thinking that if they are interested, i'd give them the first one for free then charge on the next one...

education is good so let me know what is a good route to take.

Much love as always.

DJ Mark 7

djmark7.com
Jul 18, 1977
www.djmark7.com
I've worked with quite a few "major" Bay artists and to be honest, the first tracks I shot them were just on love...They helped me gain exposure to a wider audience which in turn could make me more money in the future...Don't let yer ego get ahead of you. This is a VERY competitive industry and if you hafta donate some shit to get yer name out there, then so be it...

50cal

Sicc OG
Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
Fuck that, I wouldnt give them nothing for free,unless they was cool wit me or what not, my boy did shit for many majors, and these artists still are stingy as far as buying beats, If your shit is hot they will buy it,I understand the gettin the foot in the door routine,but if they aint pushin major units,fuck them, why push there career by your talents.These artist are working that angle getting free beats from these young producers who are trying to push to the next level.Get a manager, and a lawyer,My boys did shit on platinum albums,and even had..it was either gold or platinum single with IMX, and royalties are all fucked up,remember the beat is half the song....anyways if you really about business you will retain a lawyer...trust me it will be the best move.

50cal

Sicc OG
Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
oh yeah the artists you listed are not major artists, they are at the top of there game in that region but they aint gettin radio spins across the U.S....so dont fall for that old Ill get you on the back end.So in this situation get as much up front money, cause royalties, you might not see cause they indy, and got ways to get around that shit...oh yeah..Get a lawyer

Mar 10, 2004
ya, i was thinking that too. that's why i'm wondering what the good route to take is. i got a lawyer ready but i feel that the lawyer is useful for major labels (like electra, sony, def jam... etc). i think im just gonna do 1st beat out of love and the next one will be charged... any other recommendations?

the music industry is a shady industry but i know you gotta sacrific in order to succeed.

DJ Mark 7

djmark7.com
Jul 18, 1977
www.djmark7.com
Well, I'm proud to say I've done work on 20+ albums (most of which I HAVE gotten paid for) but alot of the work I got was due to tracks I did for N2Deep, RBL, Cougnut etc that got my name out there....I'm not sayin' what I did is for EVERYONE....But I personally know alot of producers who have "platinum beats" sittin on their computers that will never be released lol

50cal

Sicc OG
Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
pharaoh tay said:
ya, i was thinking that too. that's why i'm wondering what the good route to take is. i got a lawyer ready but i feel that the lawyer is useful for major labels (like electra, sony, def jam... etc). i think im just gonna do 1st beat out of love and the next one will be charged... any other recommendations?

the music industry is a shady industry but i know you gotta sacrific in order to succeed.
If anything say you wanna sell your beats for $1,000, tell the artist I sell them starting at such price but at this time Ill give you two for the price of one, cause even if you give away that track..there may not be no next time.a lawyer is useful anytime there is paperwork and if the artist has distribution at the least there should be paperwork, It may seem like damn why pay for that,but if that artist has a big single or whatnot, you stand to lose alot of potential money...if you still wanna give it away for free, make sure you still get points on the album.If you dealing with a major artist always get as much money upfront cause if they decide not to use that beat at least you got paid

Dec 1, 2003
If your gonna shoot it to em for free, maybe ask them to hit you with a 16 as a swap. Then you can use for your own shit or sell it. I'd do that for a quinn verse

50cal

Sicc OG
Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
mouthpiece said:
If your gonna shoot it to em for free, maybe ask them to hit you with a 16 as a swap. Then you can use for your own shit or sell it. I'd do that for a quinn verse
I co sign on this but make sure you drop the beat when they drop the verse..this way at least you got something you can make some money on..

Oct 10, 2004
truth is dont nobody wanna pay for nothin the bay is on some free shit i mean cmon droopy is beeing called the tighest producer aside from rick rock lol that should tell you a thing or two

Aug 12, 2004
personally i think droop-e is not that tight, i've heard so many other beats that are way tighter than anything i've heard from him. and those producers names aren't even known unless you look for it yourself.

Apr 25, 2002
Truthfully, if you have to ask those questions you shouldn't be negotiating your own deals. I could speak on this topic forever but my advice to you first & foremost is if you have hot material, find a good manager! Somebody who understands the business, has connections, can & knows how to place your music. The last thing you want is for yourself or your representation to wind up looking green as fuck in front of the wrong people. You'll either get ran thru or they won't want to fuck with you because you ain't ready.

If you really want to start trying to put deals together yourself then you've got to understand how they work. You need to read up on things like copyrights, ownership, licensing, mechanical rights, publishing, and so on. Get educated about all things relevant to what you're trying to do. Once you do your homework, you'll probably have more specific questions to ask and we can go from there.

If you're just trying to get some beats off then come up with a price and when you're asked how much you want, leave yourself some room to negotiate. If you're happy just to say you did a beat on whatever rappers album or just want to try spreading your name around, so be it.

I'll tell you right now... There's a TON of money to be made in this business but you have to be a real hustler, or have one representing you.

Nov 27, 2005
Sick Wid It said:
Truthfully, if you have to ask those questions you shouldn't be negotiating your own deals. I could speak on this topic forever but my advice to you first & foremost is if you have hot material, find a good manager! Somebody who understands the business, has connections, can & knows how to place your music. The last thing you want is for yourself or your representation to wind up looking green as fuck in front of the wrong people. You'll either get ran thru or they won't want to fuck with you because you ain't ready.

If you really want to start trying to put deals together yourself then you've got to understand how they work. You need to read up on things like copyrights, ownership, licensing, mechanical rights, publishing, and so on. Get educated about all things relevant to what you're trying to do. Once you do your homework, you'll probably have more specific questions to ask and we can go from there.

If you're just trying to get some beats off then come up with a price and when you're asked how much you want, leave yourself some room to negotiate. If you're happy just to say you did a beat on whatever rappers album or just want to try spreading your name around, so be it.

I'll tell you right now... There's a TON of money to be made in this business but you have to be a real hustler, or have one representing you.
are you from Sick Wid It records?

B.C.

Sicc OG
Mar 12, 2005
TUNEZ_PWP said:
truth is dont nobody wanna pay for nothin the bay is on some free shit i mean cmon droopy is beeing called the tighest producer aside from rick rock lol that should tell you a thing or two
Real Talk, after me being a in house producer for AWOL Records when they where signed to Virgin Records. I was gettin more money from some other labels then what I was supposed to get from AWOL. I used that AWOL name to bring me more business after I left the label. The Game has changed alot niggas really do be on some free shit now. I have a pretty decent resume and I tell you when cats know your work history and only want to pay you $100.00 for a beat thats disrespect. That's why I had to quit messin with everybody and turn down work because nobody wanted to pay me what I wanted for my beats. Sometimes you do have to give up some free beats to get your name out there. Another thing. Some independent labels from the Bay get turned off and might not wanna do business with you if you are talking about lawyers, publishing and royalties. This is just a lil shit that I've been through in my career. Good Luck

Apr 25, 2002
Beat makers usually don't get paid right because of 3 main things. Bad representation, lack of real hustle, and/or their beats just ain't on par with what's hot in todays/tomorrows market. And don't forget, another important factor is how well your latest works did. If the last success you had was 10 years ago, your value is shot, period. Nobody cares that you had a hit once upon a time but people who consistantly create hot product and have their business in order can make a ton of money. And by "hot product" I don't mean material that your homies think is the shit, I mean material that results in noticeable profit, or atleast provides the potential for it for the people investing money.

BC made a good decision by turning down work that wouldn't give him proper compensation. It's better for cats in that position to turn down $100 today so they can make $1000 tomorrow (assuming your music & business is on point). When people know you'll let beats go for those silly ass prices, you'll NEVER get paid right. Believe me, there's plenty of examples I could give. Names people know and definately think must be 'gettin paid' but in truth, fuck no!

There's a million wannabe rappers & record labels and most of em' don't really know what the fuck they're doing so theres tons of money to be made if your hustle is right and you're willing to deal with their lack of experience. Don't get me wrong, some cats are sharp but they're the minority.